Speaker 1: You're listening to a mom with mea podcast. Whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously disturbed laurels for spraying groundbreaking? Oh my god, you have to do it. You live for fashion. Hello, and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion problems and levels up your wardrobe. I'm Lee Campbell and I'm in an exceptionally good mood, which I was not in a little while ago. You might hear a bit of a croak in my voice. I've been sick. And then I sat down with today's guest. It is Jules Robertson. You might know that name from maths. However, I have never watched Married at First Sight in my life. Jaws and I talk about so much in this episode about how she founded a brand in the middle of lockdown and how it is absolutely killing it today. They just won a major reward and they have a copyright on part of the garment that nobody else has, which is pretty clever. It's all about inclusivity. But that's not just a term that she's throwing around. She lives it, She breathes that, she walks it, and she has one hundred of thousands of women telling her so every day. So let's get into it. Jules, welcome to nothing to wear. Now. For people that aren't familiar with you, I don't know why they wouldn't be. But what have you been up to lately? Who are you? And what do you do?
Speaker 2: What have I been up to lately today? Or in general?
Speaker 3: I know it's in a nutshell. Married at first sight will be on my tombstone. I've we've been married eight years this year. Yeah, so season season.
Speaker 1: Six, it's been going a long time. Yes, it has the best success.
Speaker 2: There's a few of us.
Speaker 3: Now, I mean the stats aren't great, but there is a few of us, so that it would be how people originally know me. But from moving on from Mass, I founded Figure, which is an inclusive shapewear brand, and founded more Amused, which is inclusive fashion content creator, war winning content creator, warmanning entrepreneur. And I guess everything that I have done since then is really rooted in inclusion, authenticity and just championing women. So I think, think, but what have I been up to? Oh my god, it's always mama.
Speaker 1: And I'll never ask about the juggle because you know Dad's juggle too, But you do fit a lot in I do.
Speaker 2: I do fit a lot in that. Definitely. I have help my husband. I absolutely co parent.
Speaker 3: You know, we have times where it's my time to shine and it's his and we just do that dance back and forth.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: Fit a lot in having two kids. I don't think there is such thing as balance. You just got to You've got your glass balls right, and yep, your kids are glass and the others are plastic, and you.
Speaker 1: Just sometimes they have to be plastic because they're not sick and they can watch a movie for an hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like over time, I've got better at it. And I know that if I wanted to sustain everything I've been doing for the last few years, I had to learn how to hold everything a bit differently.
Speaker 2: So that took time, that took through burnout.
Speaker 3: But I'm definitely in a good place right now of in just managing it all a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Okay, we need to do a separate, not fashion podcast about how you do that, because that's amazing and some days I'm sure we're better than others. So to set the scene and people might not be watching and you look fabulous today, but how do you describe your personal style.
Speaker 2: I would say it.
Speaker 3: Is classic but with a big personality, because I do. I do like the classic look, but I'm not afraid of having a little play. I don't fall too deeply into trans I don't. I'm not that girl where I'm like, oh, that's trendy, I've got to wear it. I definitely feel. I feel my clothes, and I definitely use my wardrobe to step into how I want to feel for that day, like if I'm speaking, if I'm doing a keynote, like I love wearing colors and patty like that makes me feel powerful today. I don't know, I just felt like Emily emparison.
Speaker 1: I look amazing. So you're wearing it like a duck egg blue beret almost identical color, like a cool like croc.
Speaker 2: This is just from a like a secondhand, oh my god shirt.
Speaker 1: It's phenomenal, white tank leathered pet like, you look amazing, thank you, And yeah, it's interesting. Classic can sometimes read people think boring, but it's no. I think you're playful from you know, watching you over the years.
Speaker 2: Play Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: I shared a picture last night and it was a picture of myself in a photo shoot and it was My outfit was all over the place and it was something that I probably wouldn't wear down the street, but it was a photo shoot and there were so many comments of people saying, I usually love what you wear, but this is a hard note. And I'm like, fashion is fun, Like I don't think you should be restricted to be Oh, this is my style and this is it. Like I love wearing clothes that like I wore when I was twenty, Like, I don't feel like we have to restrict ourselves just because.
Speaker 2: Of our age as well about what we're going to wear. It's a feeling and I love the way that clothes give you that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They said the power of an outfit.
Speaker 1: Is on the MEI character almost and yeah, it's not a tattoo, it's for a day, you know. Totally strong opinion. I know.
Speaker 3: It was like I'd broken the law. I was like, chill, guys, I can take it off.
Speaker 1: I love it. So let's talk about evolution, because we you know, we mature and we change, and how has that affected your fashion, Say from your twenties to now you know, reality TV or TV in the spotlight and then becoming a mum, You've had a lot going on in your life, as we do over the decades, But how is your style changed throughout that?
Speaker 2: I think I was saying, like, what is your style?
Speaker 3: I think that evolving your style as you evolve as well, like motherhood absolutely changes your style. I always a like, love to show the bump girl, like not everyone is, but I'm like, get me in a tight dress, love it. I really embrace that change of my body. But I think that you know, you do change over time. And it's also it's like you change your makeup, Like I was a black eyeliner girl for so many years and I work up one day and I went, I look like I've got the beady of siyes in the world because my face has changed. So I think, you know, my face is evolving, my body is evolving, so you should change with that. I've been many sizes in the public eye. I've been from a twelve to an eighteen after giving birth. And one thing that I do credit myself if I've never really changed my style in that sense, like no matter what size I've been, I've always been like, I love fashion and I'll find things that suit my body in this moment. So I think that you know, your life changes and evolves and your wardrobe should change with that.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I also like before you reference something that you might have worn a decade ago. I have pieces that I hang on to and regardless of trends, and I love trend but I try not to follow trends too much. But sometimes you're like, oh, I just bloody love that, and that is personal style because you've had it for so long and you still love it, and that's true to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love a bit of Leopard, actually, and it always evolves and it comes back. And I've got a suit that I have had for years, like years and years, and I'm like, I love it and I still feel great when I put it on.
Speaker 1: Leopard's a neutral, I reckon, Yeah, it's a neutral. So you're not a massive trend follower. You won't just go Bizara and buy the trend because everyone else is. But you definitely have unique style and you always look very well put together. So how do you kind of marry the two in that you definitely are someone to look to and be inspired by fashion, but you're not really I guess too much looking at what everyone else is doing. Do you just follow your heart you go to the shops, you just look at the website.
Speaker 3: I think probably in my case, I think it's probably confidence shines through more than anything else. And I think that if you feel confident what you're wearing, even if it's not for everyone.
Speaker 2: You look good. And if you're comfortable, you look good. If you're confident, you look good.
Speaker 3: So I think that comes with time of knowing my body, knowing what I feel good in, knowing how to dress it, and knowing that whatever size that I am, it doesn't define my purpose on my happiness. I've been many sizes and I and I really hope that message gets to women that it really doesn't. You know, absolutely we can make health goals and whatever, but it's about appreciating where you are in.
Speaker 1: That time and shrinking just exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like just go for it.
Speaker 3: Like stop waiting is my message in the sense of like feel sometimes you know I've done it in the past, be like, oh I'll wait twelve loss weight, or I'll wait till my skin clears up, or I'll wait till I fit into that dress. No, like celebrate yourself right now. And I think that's something I've been a real advocate for that you know, I really try and walk the talk with that message, and I think it's a really important message.
Speaker 1: And I think that's always been that way. Do you think it's or is it like something that you've had to really sort of go in?
Speaker 2: And I think it's a practice. I think people go like, hey, where's confidence from it?
Speaker 3: And I think you know, any advice to anyone listening, if you're going through that would be it is not something that you just at.
Speaker 2: It is a practice that.
Speaker 3: You consistently do and you consistently say to yourself, and eventually it becomes your way of thinking and the way that you are absolutely heavy days where you feel like shitty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all do.
Speaker 1: Sometimes.
Speaker 3: It's something that I've worked really hard at. And I think being the public eye, you have to really step into yourself and be like, I actually like who I am. I'm okay with me. If you don't, that's all right. We all can't like each other. But I think, you know, going back to the question about fashion, I think that if you you know, nothing shines better than someone's confident with a big heart, you know, so, but when it comes to the clothes, and you know, I enjoy that people look to me for fashion and becoming big w style consultant, Like that's a huge honor, and that's making an everyday brand be accessible for all women.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of confidence, after the break, we're going to talk about keeping it real in a world of peptides and rib remodeling, and also how Jules has created two amazing brands that are surviving somehow in this market. So two fashion businesses, I mean, congratulations, that's amazing. Let's talk about the Shapeway brand because I think most people would know you for that, and I feel like in a market when there wasn't that much room to play, you did really make a difference. So tell me about how that started and what you do.
Speaker 3: So Figures started actually from off the back of Maths. I was obviously on television filming sorry for three months, and the dinner parties I'd have my sheep were on and it would roll down and it'd be so uncomfortable. I'd take my whole dress off to go to toilet and it was just like the most unseamless thing ever. So coming off the show and then obviously overnight being in the public eye, I received so many messages from women who I guess I'd learned a really big thing then, which I took into my business was that representation matters. And women saw me and then they saw themselves reflected in me because I was curvy or whatever, and they just came to me saying things like, where do you get your confidence from? I look like you, but I didn't dress like you, and all these things that were said to me. It was very clear that women didn't feel like they're enough because of their body. And then on the flip side of that, the comments and body shaming and the trolling for being a healthy, confident, courvageous.
Speaker 1: Woman, and overnight too when you weren't in the public eye before that would Yeah, well.
Speaker 3: We had a bit of prep for that because on our honeymoon a friend send us a link to Daily Mail and obviously it never had been in Daily Mail before.
Speaker 2: It was all.
Speaker 3: Exciting, and you know, of course went straight to the comments, as you do when you're a rookie, and it was all about not even before anyone had spoken to me or heard me talk or anything. It was just judgment for the way that I looked. And so we had a bit of six months of prepping for that. Okay, this is what's going to happen. So and to be honest, I've done enough work on myself that I was actually okay with that. I was like, that's okay, that's about you, not about me. But then having that and I never did I go on there or think I'm going to be a shapewear designer, But I walked off that experience and then from all of that noise and thought, if I could do one thing in this world, I can make a kick ass pair of shapewear. So that's where the brand came. That came from that listening to the Australian women of just like feeling that they needed to be fixed, and shapewear has always been boxed as it's to fix you, not to support the body that you have.
Speaker 2: And so that's where the root of Figure came.
Speaker 3: With its messaging, and I wanted to always use the general public as my models, which I still to do this day and all my campaigns are with their messaging because at the end of the day, we're all the same, no matter what shape or size, We're all battling our own things. We all want to be seen and heard, and that's where that has come from. And because for me, it was like if women saw themselves in me, I wanted them to see themselves in the women that I'm using to go, Oh, I wish I look like her.
Speaker 2: Oh she reminds me of me.
Speaker 3: And that's what I've to do it too, and I can do it too. Or I look like that and look how confidence she looks, you know, and some of the models that you know, models I say that I have, like they're not super confident, but they're doing this to become confident. So yeah, and that's always been you know, inclusion. It's not like a tick box for me. It's actually the soul of the brand. And it's been amazing. You know, launching through covid, you know, that was really hard. And I launched two weeks before Covid hit and you know, I did really fantastic first twelve months. And that was because we're getting behind the brand, that's totally, and we're getting behind the messaging which is hopefully going to help, you know, reshape the next generation of like we were never a problem to begin with. Where just you know, as I said, I just there's nothing that someone can come at me that I know, it's shape where but is it a tool. It's like lipstick is a tool. It's a tool to the vehicle to step you into feeling confident. And it's a fashion staple as well. Certain materials need shape or underneath it.
Speaker 1: But talk to me more about the product then, because that's intriguing because obviously you war shape where there was brands out there. How is yours different? I mean I think from reading a lot about it, it's the comfort. Yeah that still you know it works, but you don't feel like to the point where you're so restricted and uncomfortable that you want to take it.
Speaker 2: Off or got home.
Speaker 1: So how did you approach that differently? Was that feedback from Australian women as well?
Speaker 3: I've always done polls and I realized over the years that people love to come with the journey, they love to be a part of it. Like I've just brought out Elevate, which has two different levels, so it's and I never thought about doing two different levels. And I always try never to design for myself. I find a lot of designers designed for themselves, and then I really want to have everyone And even with this Elevate, I if a size twenty four women buys it, I'll be very surprised, but I've still got it there because I don't want to leave anyone out.
Speaker 2: But with that, I went online.
Speaker 3: I said this is what I'm thinking of doing, and then I honestly, I had twenty five thousand votes. I had about six hundred DM. Everyone was so invested in this, and I was like, sure, I'll do two. That's like, that's hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 1: That way totally.
Speaker 3: But I did it because I was like, people, you're right, like you do need the different level because fashion now there's so many cutouts with in dresses and the games, and you know the different level. So I did it, and this has got an elevate that just lifts up your bomb naturally and it's really great. But that was from listening and said, I've always listened to what women want, and my product is different because I've got a patent design of the crutch which no one can copy, which I went to all the factories and I worked with them to nail it.
Speaker 2: And it actually works. I always say it works unless you've had ten drinks.
Speaker 1: I tell me, what does it do?
Speaker 2: You can go to the toilet wearing it, so you know have to pull it down.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, thank god, because yeah, I've got a pair that's a g streamine and I would pull that aside, but that was too hard. But then if you weren't, yeah for a short figure to get it.
Speaker 3: And it's got gentle boning so it doesn't roll, it's got the seamless leg, it's got mesh technology where I've placed in it to not suffocate you just support the areas that women like to feel supported in. So yeah, I really like a made skirt that took me two years to make. So I put a lot into every single design, and I really take my audience with me to be like, well, what do you want to know what I want? So my next thing that I'll be launching for summer is a backless with the figure crutch. So it's really low, it can go hold tight. It's got a good brayer.
Speaker 1: In itsh like it's engineering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is. Like I'm on my eighth rain of samples.
Speaker 3: Like last week, I was drawing chalk on it, like I was like, okay, let's move the cup down here.
Speaker 2: And that's a lot of research.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I spent a lot of money buying other brands and be like what are they doing? Like what can I do? And it's all to make something like better I feel, and make it for every you know, you can't make something for everybody, but you can give it a good shot. And that's why I have a tall body in a petique because everyone has different torsos.
Speaker 2: So I'm really proud of it.
Speaker 3: And I think that, you know, as I said, like your product is the body and your brain is the soul, and people believe in it. And you know, I never I guess scale myself on you know, how much I've scaled or how many awards.
Speaker 2: It's one.
Speaker 3: It's it's what women say to me about what you know it's made them feel, or just.
Speaker 2: To see themselves, because I do think that how can.
Speaker 3: You kind of feel like you belong if you never see yourself right? And it's been you know, we're from a generation of nineties girls. We will told we're going to make it, We're never going to make it unless we're super thin, and you know, I think that that's not true anymore. It's not true, but we're still working on that mentality to be like absolutely it's not. So yeah, I love it and it's evolving to more than just obviously shapewear.
Speaker 2: We've got other product.
Speaker 3: We've done events, which is all back into confidence and backing yourself. We do the Feel Fun so we every quarter we give five thousand dollars to a new female founder who's got an idea. So that's all about just going for it. So there's a lot of, I guess layers to it because I think I put a lot of myself into the brand.
Speaker 1: You can tell your energy is like very authentic, and I think also you know, it's not just a brand with a name, it's you, and so you do I can tell you take it so seriously in care so much because they are coming to you not just a brand, but jewels who made them feel good. And he's listening to me. So there's a lot of responsibility, but you're nailing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really like it's really humbling, you know, and I think that's my thing when people come up and go, you're doing so much for women and that makes me really proud. So and that's you know, always say, good things happen when you're just yourself and when you're comfortable and confident in yourself and you you know, speak up for yourself and you do things how you want to do them and have conviction with that. Then you know, if you don't hurting anyone along the way, I think you can't really go wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. So talk to me about the models in your campaigns, and we do say models, but there it's funny in media, especially in magazines, you'd call them real women, like everyone is a real woman.
Speaker 2: And I always stay try and get away from that.
Speaker 3: I totally agree and say, like someone's come back with the pressing and I always go, can you change that to all totally?
Speaker 2: Because all women are real?
Speaker 1: How do you find these women? You mentioned how it's so important to include them, but obviously they're not professional models most of the time. Where do you find them? What does it do to them after the street? What do you see the change in them?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's been amazing. Actually.
Speaker 3: So my first campaign I ever did in two thousand and twenty. What year was it, It was just before COVID. Yeah, so I spent a year coming up with the idea. I had about two and a half thousand applicants and I read every single one. I cried, I laughed, I you know, and that's when I was like this is so important. Women want to be seen, women want to share their story, and then for women to see themselves in reflection. But my last campaign, I just did the reshaping expectation and it was in my head it was, you know, if we were young girls playing with dolls, imagine that we did have a Barbie.
Speaker 2: I mean, Barbie is amazing. Now let's get a credit that actually has a childhood.
Speaker 3: If there was one that was just like ups and so that's why I made the figure dollhouse. So all the women were all different shapes and sizes, and their props inside were their story of what made them. Then you know, one woman had hiking boots and then like a pair of heels. It was like, well, I don't fit the mold because I love doing like traditionally boy things, but I like being a female really feminine as well. So it was all these different and one woman has a stonema, so she had like a you know, a doctor's kind of script with her and so yeah, it was really great in the sense and we read all of them. This part of my work really matters. You know, the girl with the stomach, she got asked to do a speaking event last week. One of my girls in England. She went from three hundred followers that she had when she joined Figure, she's now got sixty thousand. She's been signed with an agency, and I know that people go there to find those women, you know, for different things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my alopecia girl, she's gone.
Speaker 3: On to start her own you know, bald retreat and it's given them the confidence to do that and that's been incredible. So and that's how we find them literally just doing callouts and we keep everyone on file and I just keep sometimes call them up ourselves and remember when you set that application and you'll always stand out. So yeah, it's been really great and that something will continue to do. And we do get some girls who you know, loved doubling into a bit of social media.
Speaker 1: That's incredible an overwhelming response.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been great.
Speaker 1: You've had incredible moments many what's your proudest moment in your fashion? I guess career? Oh what pops straight to your head? There's always one little teeny tiny thought, Like.
Speaker 3: My first thought is being in like the first edition of Forbes Australia. Like that was a moment. But tell us about that, Oh it was amazing, So was it. It was, yeah, just for I guess what I do. So it was, yeah, the first edition of the Australian Forbes magazine and I was one of the ten creators in there.
Speaker 2: So that was a moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I've actually framed the letter that I got to say you'd be in it.
Speaker 1: That was ad on my forehead. If that was me, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: But to like in the last you know, like this year for me would be winning campaign of the year actually com last week, like I was up for Founder and I didn't care about I didn't win that one most Inclusive Brand, Best Undergarment, and then campaign and that was what was really important to me was winning that because it's really a really important message.
Speaker 2: So that I was like really really touched by.
Speaker 1: And that's the campaign you were referring to the adults.
Speaker 3: That's clever, creative, Yeah, because to be honest, you know you're saying before like being kind of the face, it was never meant to be about me. It was it meant to be about other women. And I really try and do that, but you know, unfortunately, like you know, the ads, you get the algorithm, it does best when I'm in it, and I get that because I live it and I breathe it and I love it and I really share the message of it.
Speaker 2: But it is actually about the women in Australia.
Speaker 1: Really but also shape where can look quite vanilla in a campaign if it's just like he's a nude thing on a nude body. You know, how clever to do such a creative campaign?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's been great fun. There's a fun part of it that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the world at the moment, I mean, I think body confidence and body inclusivity came so far, but now there's a thing called skinny. I don't even know what that is. People are having body parts moved for, you know, to overall look smaller. You remain very confident, which is very refreshing and thank goodness. But what's your take on all of that and what do you think why is this happening to the industry when we've come so far?
Speaker 2: Firstly, I think, most importantly, a woman's body should never be a trend to begin with. And you know, one minute, we're celebrating the curve, you know, like the booty, like you know, the kimmique trend that happened, and now we're celebrating the super thin. I think it's it's so damaging the messaging of it.
Speaker 1: I know, it's a tree is a trend. It's just that tree, Like you shouldn't the shape like we're big boobs or small boobs.
Speaker 3: I'm always like, what do you mean you? You know, and as you know spoken about before, we're not a trend. And it's about being comfortable as you are and not placing so much value on your body or the size of what you are or the shape that you are.
Speaker 2: It literally is celebrating the.
Speaker 3: Body that you've got and being like I'm alive, I'm well, you know, and you can find something for you, you know. And I think it's just so unhealthy. It's such an unhealthy image to look at that and think, oh I.
Speaker 1: Aspire to be like that physically and mentally.
Speaker 2: Yees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tricky, isn't it. I thought we came so far and maybe we live in our own little ecosystems and algorithms. But it's an interesting world to be in a woman, and social media and fashion it definitely ebbs and flows. So I think having people like you for women to look up to to go, hey, you know, oh I mean genuinely happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I I got offered hundreds of thousands of dollars to sign up with a big brand for the pen, and I was like, absolutely not. Anyway, it is a really interesting time, and I don't think the answers.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's been I g that I can think of such a seismic shift in like wellness, health, fashion, everything. I guess at the moment, so it's interesting to see which way it goes. But I think you're obviously unwavering and staying true to yourself, which is awesome because it's hard, you know, especially if someone's throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars at you, but that shows your long term you know, it would be alienating your audience perhaps, so it just doesn't align with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just I was like, hard, No, I think it.
Speaker 1: Okay, your confidence is clear, it shines through and you know, you said it is a practice. But a lot of people you haven't been on that practice or just don't have it as naturally or aren't there right now. So what's your advice to those people that want to be more confident and look up to you, but they just their internal dialogue You know when they get dressed, they just don't have it at the moment.
Speaker 3: I think, as I said, it's not like a destination, is definitely a practice. And I think just those small things of just talking kind to yourself, like I honestly as ranky as it sad, I all get ready and you look great today, Like I just tell myself like why not? And once you start thinking like that, it just becomes your program of how you talk to yourself. And that is such a big part of being confident and feeling good. I think with your body, look at yourself and be like, what do I like about my body? You've all got to like something, go with that, find that part and show that part off, or you know, dress that part up. Like I think that's a really simple way of a first step to find you know, what suits you or what you feel, what you feel like, you feel more confident in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just focuses on the positive. Yeah, don't keep telling yourself the negative. Oh god, I need that for so many reasons, honestly. That is it's so simple but hard. So yeah, that's why I don't think, you.
Speaker 3: Know, there's I don't you know, I have those days like, oh my god, I'm covered in so like if someone gave me a magic pill, I'll be gone.
Speaker 2: I would take it, but I don't dwell on it. It doesn't stop me from putting a bikini on. I don't stop me from you know, like, it doesn't hold me back.
Speaker 3: And I think that that's where our mindset has to reframe to be like, oh my god, it's.
Speaker 1: Just a leg.
Speaker 3: You know, it's okay. You know it's okay, and that's you know, in figure. That's why I never edit. I always leave my cilu light there. I always leave everyone stretch marks and scars because it's real. And as I said, when you see that come back, it makes women go, I'm okay.
Speaker 1: It's just a leg. That's my favorite quote. It's so true. It's just a like this other stuff to worry about. Your campaigns are beautiful because there's so much diversity in body size and body shape. Talk to about the age of the women that come to you, and that your feature. Sure.
Speaker 3: So my oldest ambassador, unfortunately she passed last year. She was nearly ninety, and she just had a twinkle in her eye. You and you're just like I want to be you when I'm older. She's one of those women. She was so fabulous. Her daughter in law applied her and when I called her.
Speaker 2: She was like, what, who is there? You know, so she was amazing.
Speaker 3: I've got a lady at the moment who's sixty, and she was called the unedited doll, like unedited icon. That's because she's gone like no filler, no botox, natural hair, she is beautiful.
Speaker 2: So everyone had a message in that regard.
Speaker 3: My youngest is in her early twenties, but it's always just been any age group.
Speaker 2: We did a mother and daughter.
Speaker 3: Campaign a couple of years ago, and that was to show like the similarity in their bodies or the difference or how different they look.
Speaker 2: But also because I sometimes think as women, our.
Speaker 3: Relationship times with my mother can be some of the one of our most complicated ones. So I wanted to highlight that to say, like, you know, they're not all the same. Like, you know, everyone has like a bit of like two of my girlfriends, their mum is like they're bestie and they go out together and you know, and I was always being like like, oh, so I wanted to show that too, like everyone has different relationships, but all ages literally all ages and up to you know, size twenty four from size six and showing that. I said, like shapewear is not just for you know, the curvy girl to pour herself into.
Speaker 2: A Microsoft skinny. It's not about that. It's a feeling. And you know the size eight women love it too. So that little peach pop that elevate gifts.
Speaker 1: To our Scots, I love that. Okay, So tell me how do you get dressed? What are your favorite Australian brands? Where do you shop? What do you wear?
Speaker 2: I'm a real mix really.
Speaker 3: I've got my go tos that I love, for like Red Carpet for you know speaking, I love wearing colors and Patty. I love wearing Elliott dresses for like I don't know, they just make me feel really feminine and beautiful. I honestly, I have no If I see something I like it, Like I said, I'm wearing something from the op shop right now. Like I'm not a brand person. I don't have like that's all I wear. But with shopping in Australia, I do find that, you know, there's certain brands that go, oh, we're inclusive, and then you go into the shop and they don't have your size they will do it online, but that also doesn't feel inclusive because it's like, oh, we only go up to a size sixteen, but it's on our website. So that's annoying. And I think that when it's inconsistent sizing across brands, and I think it's something we could do better because unfortunately us women women, we then I guess when the tag is different, we kind of blame ourself, not the dress, right, And I think that's a really important point, is like that tag does not define you at all, but we do tend to do that if you try something and you're like, oh but I am that size, No, it's just the brand's different. So I think that's an important thing in Australian fashion. I know that when I bring out something new, I do try and go to another like the big names and be like what are they doing? And you can see there's a consistency when it comes to things like that, especially with bras and stuff that you try and get it all the same. But with clothes, I don't think we've done that. I learned very quickly that we'men and don't like letters. Like when I first launched, I was like m l X yeah, and I got a lot of feedback.
Speaker 1: Numbers are better now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's just they didn't like if it was like XXL or it was like a psychological thing.
Speaker 2: So I've changed to numbers.
Speaker 3: Like my next round, like round two was like, okay, we're now numbers.
Speaker 1: So interesting to navigate from the brand side as well as this, well, I think Australi can do better. We can always do better. So let's hope that people you're leading the way and people follow Thanks. Coming up after the break, everyone's favorite segment and Jewels is keeping us warm with some delicious coats. It's very expensive. How much are these jewels? Bey to budget? It's cold, it's not cold in this studio and I'm pery, so I'm always but she's having a flush. I'm always having a flush. Talk to me about these coats. Let's start with your budget.
Speaker 3: Okay, Budget is a bigw It is on sale right now. It was originally only forty nine dollars. It is gray, it is oversized, it's lined, and now it's only thirty and honestly, it is a hero piece.
Speaker 2: And it also comes in a beautiful aubergine.
Speaker 3: Oh aubergine, like really dark, beautiful yeah, really beautiful.
Speaker 1: Do you get lots of samples because you're the ambassador, Like, do you get to have every color? No?
Speaker 3: I literally I got the gray because it was part of my edits were put together and I was in store the other week and I was like, oh my god, why did I not get the aubergine one.
Speaker 1: I will start a campaign. You need it. Honestly, if you wear the Mountain about.
Speaker 2: It's really great.
Speaker 3: And I'm like for the thirty dollars now, like they're literally giving it to you.
Speaker 2: It is such a great coat.
Speaker 1: I bought a fancy sandwich at a cafe the other da't It was twenty four dollars. You say a sandwich, yes's like a fancy toasted sandwich. Hello, coach, all right, tell me about your bootie.
Speaker 3: It's a cook eyed coat. It's darker gray. It's a little bit more straight cut. But it's four hundred and eighty dollars.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, kneeling no long as well long?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I mean, I'm sure it's like beautifully made, but I'm also like thirty dollars, Like I get over my coats, right, I like to wear them for one season and then give them to dress for success.
Speaker 1: I accidentally always put them on the floor and they get grossy you put them on the floor. I'm a floor person. Look, I've got some really expensive coats and coats and then I've got some really affordable ones and I love them equally. Yes, I agree, why we do bruche you to budget? Okay, my item is quite a unique thing to bring, but I'm obsessed and I wear them all the time. It's a sheer V neck cardigan. I'm not wearing one today, but it's what I always reach for. But I don't know what to wear or I don't know the dressiness level. I've got one from Uniclo. I want, I say sheer. It's like I'm wearing a very sheer top today. I just mean sort of that more slinky knit, not really kind of a chunky knit, and I wear you know, it's a V neck and so you can kind of have a little bit of cleavage or a little bit of skin if you want to dress it up. I've got two black ones that I love, Wanta Boogie, want to Budget, and I sometimes wear them with like a suit pant or then just like a gene you could just wear them everywhere so I brought colors today because you know, I'm trying to branch out my budget. Is from cotton on. It is called the Cotton Feather Button cardigan. There's two colors, but I like the porcelain, which is like a creamy, creamy, yeah, porcelain V neck and if you look very closely, it kind of looks fluffy, but it's it's still a semisheer at the top and then it's kind of a bit ribbed at the waist. But I've tried it on in store and I just sized up because I like it just to be a little bit kind of I don't know, I don't want that. I don't want. I don't wear cardigans because I want to be restricted. Forty nine ninety five. And then another one that I've not tried this brand. I must say, I haven't tried this brand, but I've wanted you for a really long time, and people always said to me, is it a scam? Have you tried it? Haven't tried it? Reviews are good. It's called United Arrows and it's a really popular Japanese brand, but it's expensive. Sorry. So it's the United Arrow sheer V neck cardigan in brackets, washable. I think the Japanese really like things to wash and wear, and when you think of you like Unigo as well. And I really appreciate that because I'm like, great, tumble dry it, see you later two hundred and fifty five dollars. So let me show it to you. For a cardigan, yes, but it's really nice. I mean, I'm sure you can get it elsewhere. That's the gray. It comes in a million different colors.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever seen a cardigan like her.
Speaker 1: It's hard to find shit, and also v neck.
Speaker 2: It's sheek, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well it's and you know travel, they're really handy. I remember when I went to Italy once and I was just stuck with my shoulders out. And it's funny I mentioned that because yesterday I helped a girlfriend put her and I'm going, are you going to the vatic? Are going anywhere? You need to cover your shoulders And so a cardigan like this is just handy for travel, and they go on the floor well because they're not numbily I just love. I'm just very clumsy and lazy. So yeah, it just sort of a trans seasonal v nexhear cardigan very not in the zeitgeist right now, not a trend, but I always reach for them and the people are like, oh, I like your cardigan. There you go, so fifty bucks or nearly three hundred.
Speaker 2: A bit of a difference, guys, difference.
Speaker 1: And that's why we call it boushi in budget. Honestly, I feel lighter talking to you. I know it was about fashion, but it's so much more than that, because you can genuinely feel your energy and that you're not just you know, saying something, and that you you work really hard on yourself and you're creating amazing things for the women out there. So congratulations and thank you for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, guys, thank you welcome.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining me. And if you want more Nothing to Wear, you can follow us at Nothing to Wear a pod and the newsletter that goes out every week is free and fabulous. You want it in your inbox, so head to the show notes and sign up. See you next time. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the gadical people of the Eor Nation.