Speaker 1: So you're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: From Mama Mia. Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fix. I'm em Bernon and I'm Laura Brodney. Cappy Monday or It's way too Cheery on a Monday. On the show today, we are talking about a premiere for a movie that happened over the weekend that we guarantee has been all over your social media so much stand on your TikTok. We're going to be getting into that. But first, a.
Speaker 1: Very exciting trailer dropped over the weekend, the first of We've had teaser footage, we've had some photos, but this is the first official trailer for the Last of Us Season two. The new season's coming out in April, and it's very exciting because we've heard a lots of bits and pieces about like new characters or like what the new kind of clickers are going to look like. And this was our first look. And Emily, you haven't watched it, right.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched the trailer. I've watched I've seen some of the set images, looks insane. But I actually haven't watched the trailer.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, here we go.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna be live reacting. So if you guys haven't watched it, watched it with me as well.
Speaker 1: We've posted it to the spill Instagram account, so now it'll be your time to quickly turn off the podcast, go and watch it, and then come back.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, she looks so much older. This is where we leave that watching shirt.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 3: What's your.
Speaker 1: Most Oh, by.
Speaker 3: The time the sun comes up tomorrow, there's a very good chance you'll be dead.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this looks quite intense.
Speaker 1: You look shull shocks like you really just went through something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I feel like season one it was like absolutely brilliant, but I think being someone who's watched The Walking Dead and things, it was kind of, I guess, a slower take on apocalyptic kind of dystopian worlds, Like there weren't that many intense, intense scenes, and this whole trailer is just full of the intense scenes.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. So we've got Bella Ramsay and Pedro Pascal returning to their lead roles.
Speaker 2: They look my shoulder.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and I also think there's quite a bit of a time jumping in season two, but also because we ended season one with this huge secret between them, which is that Ellie would have given up her life to help them find a cure for the fungus that's spreading through people, and Joel lied to her and said that it was impossible to keep her alive. So that's all going to come out this season. Plus they're living.
Speaker 2: In a view I forgot that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like I'm gonna have to go recap the whole season before you before season two comes out. And a lot of new cast members in season two, including Caitlyn Diaver, who I think a lot of people obviously we loved her before, but after she played Belle Gibson in Apple Cider Vinegary, I think she's got a much bigger fan base now. So she's joining the season as a new survivor named Abby. Lots of different things are happening, lots of new kind of clickers. Apparently. I was listening to an interview with the showrunners where they were saying that there's going to be like a lot more different creatures and a lot more kind of building on that for the first season.
Speaker 2: Because I know there's heaps more different types of creatures in the actual video game. Yeah, and we only saw, like I guess, a glimpse of what those entailed.
Speaker 1: And that's my favorite thing. They're so beautiful and so creepy. My favorite was like the big jumbo giant one that came out of the ground that time. God, that was great.
Speaker 2: And there's like even a bigger one that It's just like I went through a huge rabbit hole. I remember after the first season of like all the potential monsters, Yeah that could come out in season two and the ones that we didn't see as yet.
Speaker 1: And excited and I just like my shows that my apocalyptic shows are never mainstreams. This is very exciting for me. I get to talk about this at work. Well. April thirteen, Season two is coming. Get excited.
Speaker 2: So south By Southwest took place over the weekend and during that a lot of films decide to have their premieeres there and one premiere in particular has been all over my TikTok and Instagram feed and it is for the movie Another Simple favor So starring Anna Kendrick Blake Lively, directed by Paul fig It's the sequel to the twenty eighteen movie A simple favor, which I feel like everyone I know has watched that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, because it's a great movie. It's so campy and over the top and silly, but both of their performances are so great. It's one of those ones. I love it on a plane, I've got to say, really like Past the Time. But it's one of those ones you can just whack on when you want to, like an easy movie night.
Speaker 2: It's like Gone Girl if it was a comedy.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: So the reason why this is everywhere is basically just everything that's happened on the red carpet for the premiere, which was outside by Side West, and people have been comparing the interviews that Anna Kendrick was doing on the carpet with the interviews that Blake Lively was doing on the carpet, in particular with when they were being asked about working with each other. So there was this one TikTok that I saw where people were saying a reporter had asked Anna Kendrick what it was like working with Blake Lively. I don't think that was a reporter. I think it was a fan, like a fan in the audience, because I was like just paparazzis and like fans around, like asking her to sign things. So I'm pretty sure it was a fan who said, what was it like working with Blake Lively?
Speaker 1: And I wanted the needs to be working with blaking It.
Speaker 2: It says on the video in captions where Anna Kendrick says, oh, you know, and then like kind of trolled off, But it's not that clear that that's exactly what she said of that's exactly the person she was answering the question too, like she was talking to fans in general and just taking photos and moving along the line. So a lot of people are saying that that was kind of a dig at Blake Lively, because on the other hand, Blake Lively was interviewed what was like working with Anna Kendrick and she said, Oh, it's got fast, I'm so happy. On the actual red carpet, Anna Kendrick was asked how she's feeling about everything that's happened, and this is what she said, how does it feel like the movie's being impacted kind of by everything happening around going on in the world.
Speaker 1: Why what happened? I did Ayahuasca and the last year of my life has just gone. But I've heard the movies amazing.
Speaker 2: And she like immediately left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. I mean, look, there were a lot of eyes on this premiere because it's the first time that blake Lively has done anything. I mean, she went to the SNL event when they had their fifth Deth celebration, but it's the first time she's done full press since the whole disastrous it ends with Us situation, and so there was a lot of eyes on her of how she was going to handle this And why I think this one's particularly interesting is that there's always been so much history between her and Anna Kendrick, and also the initial Simple Favor press tour, so that movie came out in twenty eighteen, that press tour played such a big part in the hate campaign against Blake Lively, and like that online situation around it ends with us because when that remains, Yeah, because that so many of those clips of her and Anna were pulled and resurfaced, and with the first Simple Favor press tour, that was the first time there was this online conversation of Blake Lively potentially being a mean girl and she's awful and a lot of those clips were used in that whole campaign against her. You know, they're doing all those cuts of all the different times there was cuts with her in Layton Mista where they were on stage together, and depends how you cut. The video made it look like Blake Lively was saying things about late Mesta, Like she says something about being born in a cage, and people thought that she was saying that because late Mester was born in prison. And then also something that people liking blondes more because she's blonde. All these all things that like in the moment weren't a big deal, but when they cut up, they seem like a big deal. And also they were all the interviews with her and Anna Kendrake because there was this whole thing they had a feud when they did their press to her. But I think it's more that they just have very different personalities, and that's why I think it's kind of looking worse this time around, because Anna Kendrake is very dry, she's very sarcastic, she's very kind of biting with her commentary, whereas Blake Lively has always been like bubbly and lovely, And that's why when they have a conversation it looks like they don't like each other. Like there was that really infamous clip where they were asking Anna about being a Broadway star and being in all these musicals, and she was talking about it, and then it goes over to Blake and she was like, I'm so sad I can't sing on never be a Disney princess. And She's sitting there, is like this beautiful blonde movie star, and Anna Kendrick goes, Oh, it's so hard to be you, and that kind of went viral. Is like they hate each other, But I think it's just that their personalities are so different that if you're looking for a fight, it looks like they're having an argument.
Speaker 2: And a Kendrick's definitely like that with a lot of people. It's very that with all her co stars, that dry, sarcastic sense of humor, and I can only think, like, she wouldn't even have that sense of humor with but like Lively, if they weren't friends.
Speaker 1: That's what I've always thought that I don't think there's a huge few there one. I don't think if they had such a terrible time on set as everyone's saying they did, they would come back for a second movie. Because yes, a lot of actors do things for money, and I would understand coming back to do like a Marvel blockbuster and getting fifty million dollars or something like that that you just say, I will put up with that person, even though I hate them. But these two, like they both have like very lucrative careers or at the stage now where they can even Blake Lively with like everything that's happened. There's few actors in Hollywood who can pick things that they want to do and they have choices and have to just keep taking the next project that comes along. And both of them have that kind of power now they can be a bit more cheue with their projects. So I don't think they would say yes to going and filming in Italy for months and it's such a two handle, Like the two of them have so many scenes together, you know, they can't separate themselves because their characters are together all the time. I don't think either of them would sign up for that if they hated each other as much as people think.
Speaker 2: So people just kind of like grasping out totilas now just because it's Blake Lively doing a new movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think all just kind of coming back to this premiere is that there were just so many eyes on them for that reason, because everyone wanted to see how blake Lively would react. And it's really interesting, Like Lee you were saying before, like a few of the snippets have just been cut up and put out for people to watch, but if you watch like the full live stream or the full ray carpet interviews, blake Lively is like as she would be, is like fighting for her life because she's so aware of everything that she has to say and how it's going to be cut up and used against her. And she's being so gushy and so lovely, which I get if everyone thought I was a terrible bully. And all those videos previously of her like saying things to fans that were cut up of like you know, like when someone gave her a friendship bracelet and she's like, oh, it doesn't go with my outfit, so I won't put it on now, but I'll wear it later. If that's someone you like, you're like, oh it's so sweet. She was like, yeah, I'll take it. But because people hated her, that really got blown up, was like she told that woman she hated her bracelet. So when you watch Blake Lively go down that interview line, she's being so gushy and so lovely, and she's smiling like almost manically, and like being really intense because I think she's so aware that if she does anything out of line, it's going to be blown up. And then you've got Anna walking along being her kind of normal self. And this is why I think like at this point in time, Anna Kendrick has a bit of a Blake Lively problem in two senses. One is that their whole movie is now tainted with this story of it ends with us and the court case and the accusations and all that sort of stuff, So they can't do any press and events without it, and and I can't do any interviews without this subject being brought up. But the other thing is that their personalities are so different that if you're looking for a few, it's very easy to see one because they contrast against each other so much.
Speaker 2: I would also think with Anna Kendrick with everything going on, because I feel like if I was in her situation, I would try to not make it so obvious because I would know that people would construe what I've been saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I do think they all went in with quite a big game plan, and like one of that is Blake to be like very bubbly and lovely. But I think Anna had like some jokes ready, like when the Variety reporter asked her, how does this impact you? And she was like, wait, what do you mean? What happened? Because it's like kind of a funny way.
Speaker 2: It also the exact same joke that Ryan Reynolds said on this and now, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: How's it going great? Why what have you heard? No, they're all peddling that out because it's kind of a safe way. Also on that Variety interview, so it was a variety reporter who is on the red carpet and who asked how that it ends with us lawsuit is impacting the movie? And I do feel for her because it's one of those moments where like if you listen to her ask the question, she kind of fumbles a little bit and her voice is shaking, and then she says it really quickly. She's scared. I would equally be sc I've been in that situation so many times when you're having an interview with someone and there's this elephant in the room. You like, I have to ask about it, but I'm a bit nervous, And then.
Speaker 2: You do some publication would be expecting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then you kind of almost overcompensate by saying too much and saying it too quickly. I've done that so many times before. And the Variety reporter is getting like a bit slammed of people saying, like, why would you ask that? And leave her alone and something to do with her. But I feel for both the Variety reporter and Anna Kendrick in that moment because it just it's like a situation that just has to happen, essentially, because you cannot be interviewing someone about a movie when this huge legal case that's been so public is attached to the person you're working with. And I think the way she asked it, do you think this will impact the movie? Is like quite a fair question. But then I also feel for Anna Kendrake because she's signed on to do press for this movie, like it's part of the job that when you sign up for it, and now she's contractually obligated to do all these interviews about a legal case that she's not involved in and have to kind of like find these funny answers, so they're both in a bit of a shit situation. But also, how could you not bring that up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no way everyone would have been expecting it. I think it's the amplification of that video. Like I'm not sure if it needed to be cut from the rest of the interview and just like led with that to be like, I guess for the social amplification because we know we work in like the media and in industries, but you can tell, like you could say something so so controversial on a podcast, for example, and if that part doesn't get put on social media, a lot of people would dis miss it. It's the stuff that gets kind of amplified on social media that everyone just kind of hones in on.
Speaker 1: Oh. Absolutely, As you said, they've been walking down the red carpet and they've been asked about working with each other so many times, and they both give a lot of different answers, but the one that's being cut up and circulated is Blake Lively gushing about Anna Kendrick and then Anna Kendrick going, oh, you know, as she works away. But also I feel like that's her personality. That's what I'm saying their personalities are at odds, and a lot of the time that would work really well for this kind of like one to be very dry and self deprecating, one to be very bubbly like that would work really well. But just in this instance, it's making it look like they have drama alongside each other, which a lot of people also think is a part of the movie's marketing, But I just don't think it is. Like Blake Lively is in a massive lawsuit trying to prove that she's not a terrible person, So why would you then base a marketing campaign for another movie, Like it's not worth the money.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a good, like, I guess thing to think about. If you're them, they'll be like, yeah, let's just go with that. It's not like they were interviewed together. They were interviewed separately, and those videos were cut together, so you can see the stark difference of their applies others that never would have happened when they were together. And also just the like insidious rumors that are coming out of this, Like there was a tweet that has now been deleted that went absolutely viral of someone saying that they were there and that Anna Kendrick didn't want to walk the carpet with Blake Lively and they were saying it was so awkward. That's now been deleted because the director of the film, who was also a director of the first film, Paul fig just like reposted that and said this is total bs. Sorry, the movie is finished and coming out soon. Don't believe anything you read on social media these days. And I think Paul's had enough. He's had enough, and he's such a big fan of both of these women, and he even like talked about Blake Lively and how much he respects her during the whole case before the big New York Times expos saying that the hate against her was not just and it's just funny that, like the director of your film has to come out and like show your support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and interesting because he had to do that a lot during the first movie too, when all of those rumors were saying they hated each other and he had to jump in then. Back then, I think it maybe did work in the movies favor a slight bit, because it was this intrigue of these two you know, Hollywood women coming together and having this interesting press to you.
Speaker 2: And we didn't know what the movie was going to be about, Like the trailer didn't lead on to anything.
Speaker 1: And Blake Lively was all in on the marketing that time. I remember she deleted her entire Instagram account, she archived it and then she brought it back and she was just posting hints to the movie. And then she unfollowed everyone and only followed people who had the same name as her character, So she was all in. It was fun at the time.
Speaker 2: I know, I didn't make the car. She changed my last name.
Speaker 1: I know, oh, you're so close to being Emily Nelson. And then this time around, I think that just because of everything that's happened, they've had to be a little bit more careful. But I think Paul in particular is really interesting. We've had him on this podcast before. It's one of my favorite interviews I've ever done. The last time he was on the Spill, we were talking about what it was like to have these big female lead movies, and he was saying, like, you cannot imagine the eyes that are on your project more so than any other movie. Like he said, when he was making Bridesmaids, he was getting calls from all these different studios saying we're just gonna see how people react to your movie, how the box office is, but also how people wreck to the characters and the press too, and then we'll see for green lights and female movies. And so it's this weird thing of like all the pressure being on this one movie because female led movies will still seen as like a bit of a gamble at that time.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. Yeah, and now I feel like now he's just like owning the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, And so this time around he says like I'm not having it. So what's interesting, It's like, shut up, watch my movie. So what's interesting is once they went inside. Do you know how when we go to these premieres is like the big red carpet. They do all the press outside, then the characters come inside and they stand on the stage with microphones and they do a lot more kind of preset questions because they have control over what's being said. And in there a lot of photos are circulating from that that I think look really damning to Anna and Blake. But again it's just in that moment because Blake's standing out really straight, and she's smiling and she looks happy, whereas the photos they've chosen to put of Anna next to her is Anna looking down, kind of like looking, you know, like she's disassociating from the whole situation. And that also looks like Blake is having the time of her life and Anna's hating being there. But it's just the photos. If you actually go into Getty or anything like that and you click through the two hundred photos that are there, there's plenty of photos of them smiling together on stage, but they're just not the photos being circulated souse of.
Speaker 2: The photos that will get the click exactly.
Speaker 1: So it does look like they hate each other. And what's interesting too is Blake Lively saying this is her favorite character she's ever played, which I would believe because she hates people talking about Sorry Evander Woodson, come on, well, I think it's kind of almost fair because she's like, that's a caricature. It's not and people think it's her, and she was like, no, it's like a really heightened version of like this New York girl. It's not me. But it's also not a great character to play. So whereas Emily is like very layered and villainous and she has a lot of fun with her, and then there's a lot of clips of Anna saying nice stuff too, but they just haven't been circulated. So the point of this is like they could hate each other. Yeah, we just don't know they could hate each other. What I'm saying is the information that has been presented is very strongly pushing in a different way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I'm interested to see how the rest of their press tour goes before this movie comes out in May or So I'm freaking excited for this.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I hope we get tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Prime Video if you're listening, well it's coming to Prime, so we can watch it at home. Maybe we have a little movie night. But it's, like Ex said, in Italy, it's these two villainous women coming back together. I'm just I'm so freaking getting a white lotus vibes. Yeah, yeah, I feel like that. Maybe that's why they decided to film in Italy. But yeah, I just think I'd be interested to see the rest of their press tour because of their personality mismatch, of how much that's gonna look like they hate each other and how much that's gonna kind of impact Blake Lively's like online persona leading into her court case.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. If you love listening to these episodes, we recently did a broodly honest review on with Love Meghan. We had so much fun with this and we know that so many of you have now watched the show, so make sure you watch it and then listen to that episode. We'll put a link in our show notes. The Spill is produced by Kimberly Bradish with sound production by Scott Stronik, and we'll be back here on your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye bye,