Speaker 1: Beautiful yighborhood.
Speaker 2: I hope you're having a fabulous long weekend full of yay. I was sitting down to write up today's Yeas of Our Lives episode, and one of my recommendations that came up was an incredible new book that I just finished, the Success Experiment, launched just recently by the inimitable Flex Mummy, otherwise known as Lillian A.
Speaker 1: Hanken.
Speaker 2: I realized that I was struggling to describe, without just reading the entire book out to you here, just how uniquely but powerfully Flex articulates life's great questions with a splash of humor and so much color, both literarily and literally in the pages of her beautiful book. But I remembered that, of course, she jumped on the show two lockdowns ago around this time last year for a juicy chat, and I thought re releasing that one would probably give you a better idea of just how wonderful she is. I've only just started re releasing past episodes this year when a guest releases a new book or I unexpectedly end up without a new episode for that week, and I've been so surprised how often some of our chats fly under people's radars. So hopefully this time this one reaches a few of you who missed it the first time around. Ignore a few temporal references relevant to last year, but otherwise, I hope you enjoy Flex's fascinating brain and eloquence as much as I did. I'll pop the link to her new book, The Success Experiment in the show notes and hope you guys enjoy.
Speaker 3: I think I've always to a point had some sort of identity crisis, but it wasn't rooted in being culturally different until adulthood, where people were a lot more forthcoming, you know, with what they felt about the way it looked. There is no one homogeneous Black experience. Yeah, there's barely a homogeneous Black Australian experience. Even if we were to dwindle it down to the Black Australian heterosexual female experience, Now it's not homogeneous. Any form of improving, developing, upskilling, evolving, transforming is hardshit. Absolutely going against the grain isn't beneficial until.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Seize the Yay podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing we work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is the platforms to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives they adore, the good, bad and ugly, The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your Yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found matcha Maiden and matcha Milkbar. Sez the Ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. The way that twenty twenty has unfolded has had a lot of us reflecting in ways we haven't in years, but self awareness, existential reflection and critical thinking about values, behaviors and perceptions has been this week's guests Jam since long before the pandemic. Few people get my brain gymnastics going like the inimitable Lilian Henken, who you may know as Flex Mummy, and the chat you're about to hear was no exception. While she is now changing how we think, how we do our makeup, and how we decorate our furniture. As a self dubbed professional opinion haver and slashy DJ's slash TV host, slash podcaster, slash beauty guru, slash creator of Flex Factory. I love chatting to Lil about the rollercoaster journey all of us go through finding our personal balance between conventionality and difference. As an Australian born Garnaian woman, the societal projection of a homogeneous black women's experience is just one of the many layers of identity that we peel back with her incredible ability to articulate and guide multifaceted conversations. I was so captivated in exploring the different elements of our identity and the many snake skins Flex has worn and shed herself, that we went for almost two hours having a great laugh. But I've cut the best off for you to enjoy. If you aren't thinking fundamentally differently about things at the end of this one, I'd be surprised. I hope you enjoy this one as much.
Speaker 1: As I did. Flex.
Speaker 2: Welcome to CZA. It's been a long time coming, but I'm so so excited.
Speaker 1: To have you on today.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. I was having a thought this morning that between you and I, we're the only people I can recall who use yay quite liberally and don't think it's like condescending or contrived. I really feel like YA accurately describes a lot of things. It's the appropriate response for a lot oh underrated and underused.
Speaker 2: I agree, oh my gosh, that this is one of the many million reasons why I aenjoy you. I mean, yeah, you should be absolutely dished out in a liberal fashion.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. In addition to exclamation points, I feel strongly about those as well, and they are too underused.
Speaker 2: Although I think I'm a bit there other way, I over use them. And then I think I saw it was maybe on the Shameless page the other day about if I have two sentences in an email, which one gets the exclamation Mike. I'm like, well, all of them, all of.
Speaker 3: Them and multiple. It really does help with conveying tone, because without them. I mean to digress that I was googling this. I was googling gendered speech patterns because somebody on TikTok said that that was one of their hobbies, and I was like, what's a gendered speech pattern? And basically the Internet told me that stereotypically, women are more likely to integrate very passive phrases into their language in the way that men might not. So women are more likely to say ah, but yeah, like, whereas men are more naturally inclined to speak and not mince their words. And as soon as I discovered that, I was thinking to myself, how hard would it be to make more of a considered effort to say exactly what I mean as I want to rather than the la And then you know, and it's so much harder because it changes your cadence, it changes your tone, it changes your accessibility. Absolutely are these gendered things. Also, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay, So firstly, for everyone listening, I mean, this is already if you wanted a taster of what flex is all about. It's asking the questions about the stuff we take for granted that we just do out of habit, and really reflecting on what our reflexes are. I mean, that's what this is all about. You have literally a self development and critical thinking game to your name. I just love that you ask the things that break taboo or even just break the autopilot's circuit of thought patterns and talk about it so eloquently and you're just so good.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I do try so before we kick off, the first question I ask everyone as a little eyes breaker, is what the most down to earth thing is about them? And on the one hand, you are incredibly admired and followed closely on social media and in the world, and so that it could appear like there was a bit of a glossy surface. But on the other hand, you're also one of the most open and taboo breaking person on the interwebs at this time, so it's probably like not a question I actually need to ask you, But for anyone who's new to flex Mami, what's something really down to earth about you?
Speaker 3: Ooh? That's really interesting and a trickier question, maybe for me than most, because sometimes I struggle with the way that relatability is commodified, and how we're all so hyper aware of not being seen as other like I'm just like you, I'm normal, when in reality, probably most of us aren't like our audience, and we're not normal. We are the abnormal. But I would have to say it's down to earth because it's the most surprise. But just being a really picky eater, I definitely a toddler, and people find it really interesting because I have such a flavorful appearance. But in any given circumstance, I would prefer vanilla ice cream plain, you know, mashed potatoes. Plain is in very simple like simplely cooked chicken, like a schnitzel. I don't want like it raised. I don't want it boiled. I don't want any variation of the norm. I want a cheese and a cracker. I'm talking, you know, at most of breda Camembert. I'm not eating goggan zola. I'm not doing it. I'm not getting honey drizzled into it.
Speaker 2: That is that actually blows. That is the best answer I could have ever imagined.
Speaker 3: That's it. I want white bread. I don't want multi grain. I don't want lindseeed. I don't want whole meal. I don't even want bosh.
Speaker 1: Oh my, you don't even want no.
Speaker 3: I don't mind a milk bun. Sometimes so specific, I love it, that is it. I am quite a specific person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you are.
Speaker 2: I love that you know what you like and you know what you don't like, and you're happy to like below the horn of the things that you love. But on the other hand, you're like, but I don't need to be flavorful in every single aspect of my life, like I don't need to be rainbow, multicolored gradient paint equivalent in my plate like I'm bland.
Speaker 3: That's fine, exactly exactly, And the people around me, my closer loved ones, are always trying to push me outside of my comfort zone because most people associate like a closed mindedness with regret or lack. There's so much you're not trying, and if you just I'm quite comfortable with the palette when I wake up. There's nothing I feel as though I need to try more or less of I have. You know, I have my options, and the options are quite fine. Whereas in different aspects of my life, like let's say, howse to call, I don't feel fulfilled. Therefore I must innovate and I must create, and I must try new things.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love you so much, And that actually, like, on a deeper level, what I extract from that as a really important reminder is that we do have this overarching belief that getting out of your comfort zone is a good thing, and really we strive for discomfort because of the growth opportunity it offers, which in a lot of cases people do need to get out of habit and familiarity and just you know, autopilot. But there's also something about you you can choose to stick with the things that you like just because you don't have to be different all the time, Like, oh great, lesson Great, I mean we can just end now. I mean I've learned my lesson for today.
Speaker 3: And that's it. Listening.
Speaker 2: Oh man, So I mean you are not only one of my favorite people, but also just have really embody. Everything that sees THEA is about about all the different ways you can take your career, all the many ways that you've gone that you might not affixed expected. And I love how there are so many contrasts in what you've done, what you do, what your personality is, I mean, your professional opinion, havever. You're just so many different things that you hold them all so well. And it's again I think I love that it's not out of indecision that you are a professional slushy. I think, as you call it, it's a choice to pursue so many different sides of your personality. So the first section is your wayta, which is pretty much explaining to us all the bits that came before the you that you are now. And I think we often see people like yourself who are quite confident in their opinions and where they sit and what I mean, like what their palette is. And you've done a lot of work to find now what works for you and what your joy is. But we forget to go through all the steps from childhood and all the weird rollercoaster ups and downs that it actually takes you to figure all that out. So I love to go back to the very very beginning, and I mean even the fact that you weren't born flex mummy you are looking at a Hanken.
Speaker 3: Said perfectly too. I love that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: What were you like as a child, What did you think lay ahead in your future? Was it anything close to what actually it turned out to be? And I think also just in light of the last couple of weeks in particular, tell us about your experience as a Ghanaian woman who's of Ghanaian heritage but born in Australia, so that whole where did you come from question? I kind of imagine what that was like me. Yeah, tell us, tell us about young lil I guess.
Speaker 3: It's important to start from a place where my understanding of myself was quite conscious. And I say that happened in high school. Before then, I'm sure I was just an empty shell who did as I was told and latched onto whatever was popular. But I remember in about let's say year nine, is that I started high school a bit young, So I think I was fourteen in year nine, and that was the year I just became really really hyper obsessed with like subgenres and having fitting into a stereotype. I guess it's because I consumed a lot of American TV, as most Australians do, and stereotypes are littered throughout all of your media, like you are in a certain group. You are emo, you're goth, you're in the rap group, you're an athlete, you're this and that and so on and so forth. And I love the fact that within those settings, having or identifying as a member of the group gave you purpose, an identity, and a way to behave and a way to connect and being How do I explain it? Like, as a young person, there's so much I knew I could be, but I didn't have the infrastructure to do more than what was sort of available to me. I acutely remember in year nine I went to an all girls public high school, and in year nine, everybody was wearing the same white volley trainers, the same belt from Souprey, the same tiny champion bag, the same skirt rolled up and cut too short. There was no room to express yourself outside of the norm because that was the norm. That was the one stereotype, and if you were anything but you are necessarily shunning yourself. And so I remember I made a really close friend and we just decided that between the two of us, we would just do the thing. And so I latched quite heavily onto being like a little pop punk, emo scene girl. And that was my identity purely because I liked the music and I liked, you know, the culture, the skateboards and the guitars and the way you could do your makeup and your hair. It was so exciting. And it was fine because once you dressed a certain way, it was very easy for people to identify with you. But what I didn't understand is that how you dressed and what they identified with could be negative. They're like, are you sad? I was like no, I just like the way I look. They're like, oh, it's really hard to identify with so for context, and this might not mean anything to people who don't care about astrology, but I am an Aquarius moon, I'm an airy sun, so as girl Pisces rising, what that means about me is that I have a preoccupation with being and feeling you and special, Like my idea is the first off, nobody gets me, Like how I see the world is so specific that you just wouldn't even get if I explained it. Now. I can say that with a level of self awareness, But as a tween, I was latching on to things that were so far outside of my norm because I guess in hindsight, I was really afraid of being seen as other just naturally. So if I put myself in positions where I was other on purpose, then I was taking control of that narrative because I knew exactly the connotations with what I was choosing to identify as. I knew exactly the people that would identify with me, and I could sit quite heavily into that that's so, and so that isn't it right hindsight? And so that was fine until we get to about year ten or year eleven, and I'm exposing myself to other young people who are from different areas of Sydney because I went to a public girls high school that was attached to public boys High school, which meant that we just kind of integrated within each other. Though it was the Eastern Suburbs, which is quite stereotypically known as an affluent area that's very white, it was multicultural in its own way like I wasn't. I might have been the only black girl or like one of two, but there were people of multiple ethnicities that it was expected that people had another culture, another language to speak, and that was all fine. It wasn't until I got until exposing myself to other schools that I was like, wow, you have quite stereotypical views of me and the people that I hang out with, like the people who would make the black joke and make the Asian joke and be like, oh, that's so crazy. And so I thought, okay, like we're getting to a point where what my mum had and my family had kind of quote unquote warned me about was coming to fruition. And I remember there was a stage in my early adolescent development that when I was transitioning to high school. My mum was saying to me, you know, people can be a little bit you know, forward and a bit rude, and you might be put in situations where people ask you about what you look like and where you're from. At this I could not comprehend what do you mean, MUMY may get it, like, it's not like that anymore. People aren't gonna do that. Mum. She's like, I know you might not see it now, and maybe you might not see it ever, but just be mindful that you're in a position where you are a bit different from the people around you. So I doubled down. I'm like, I'm not different. I'm Australian, I like vegiem. You don't know me. But yeah. So it was this weird like parallel or like being no being visibly different by choice, but also just being visibly different just by nature that I couldn't that I was struggling to comprehend, you know, And so I just remember there was this one time. I always say there was one time in about U ten and it was multicultural day in my high school, and my teacher was asking me what I'd be wearing from my culture in my head. I am Australian, that's what I know.
Speaker 2: I'm dressing as a piece of fairy bread.
Speaker 3: And also, it wasn't a mandatory exercise to dress as somewhere from your culture, because many people didn't identify as having a culture. So I said, I'm going to wear these new American Paradisco pants. I got some new Doctor Martins. This this plaid chat I got, I love it, whatever, whatever, And they were like, no, like from where you're from. And I was like, I just I'm not I'm not processing. And so going back to my mom and trying to understand, like what does she mean, what do they mean? I don't understand. I'm this, I'm that and whatever. And so I think I've always to a point had some sort of identity crisis, but it wasn't rooted in being culturally different until adulthood, where people were a lot more forthcoming, you know, with what they felt about the way it looked. But as a young person, I guess I was just I was a bit of a sponge, like I was ready to absorb and absorb and absorb and absorb and absorb. And I think I was happy for my my appearance to do this speaking for me, because I didn't feel like I was the most articulate person. I didn't feel like I had the range to speak on a lot of topics. I was never of course, I was in gifted and talented classes, but when you're in high school, so is everybody. It doesn't really mean that you have any academic prowess, any ability to critically think. I almost failed my fucking ata, which is that thing you do at the end of yew twelve. I got like fifty six, so, I mean, and I was creative, but I in so many ways I was just a bit of a wayward child. Like not bad, but not really that good either. I mean, I was the type of person who was of course I was integrating the people who like drank and did drugs, but I didn't do it, you know. So it was this constant dual identity of like being in it but not amongst it, understanding it but not being able to speak about it. You know. My culture, myself, my identity is so convoluted. I truly believe that if I wasn't, if I didn't end up in a position where I was front facing and was expected or presumed to know things, I would never have gotten to a point where I appreciated knowing things and being able to articulate and whatever whatever. That's why I can kind of sympathize with people who don't have incentive to also know things. Yeah, because the world doesn't really ask it of you. Yeah, you're just allowed to exist and be. And then one day somebody says, hey, flex, so what do you think about cultural appropriation? And I say, oh, I don't care. And they say, oh, but I was reading on the internet that you should ask you know, the black people around you and they'll tell you. And I'm asking you and you don't know. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what can I tell you?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm sorry, it's not my interests. Oh my god, I'm not an activist.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's already just that, you know, first ten minutes of this conversation is or twenty minutes or whatever it's been, has already been one of the sort of deepest reflections that I've had in a long time in a conversation about the different layers of identity and narratives and culture and the intersection of all the facets of your identity that aren't all that they're not always ethnicity base, Like most teenagers and young people go through a loss and that wayward stage of who.
Speaker 1: Am I am? I?
Speaker 3: Loud?
Speaker 1: Am I? Quiet?
Speaker 2: Am I an email? Am I like the soprey gal am I? Eastern suburbs or Western suburbs? And You're not the first person, by any means who I've spoken to recently. In fact, our last guest was an Indigenous Australian Olympian and I sort of expected this narrative to come out of I was bullied when I was younger, you know, racism and questions, and she basically didn't even realize she was Aboriginal until she was in high school. And I, you know, it was like, oh, okay, well I've left all this time for this particular narrative that we're going to talk about. But I loved reading in interviews that you've done before that where are you from? In high school? Was more like what part of Sydney are you from? Absolutely that it was not you know, you haven't had this narrative everyone's abscribing to you of what was it like being black growing up in Australia, Like that was probably not the biggest angst that you were necessarily going through as a teenage girl, being like, it's all the other things that you're worried about, That's exactly it.
Speaker 3: And I feel as though it's the reason why I fought against leaning into certain conversations, because they were all sort of based on a foundation of a really specific narrative where you know, it must have been hard, you must have struggled to assimilate. You know, it must have been difficult. It's like, no, it wasn't, like it wasn't. And I also think I carried this at naivety about the way black people might have been perceived that when people were asking questions or being a bit offensive, I wasn't processing, you know, I was like, surely, I mean, maybe they said that I look like a monkey, because maybe I do. Maybe it's not a racial thing. You know, it's like, that's the way your mind works because you're not exposed to these things. And so as you begin to develop your understanding of the way identity is so pervasive, and of the way that people subconsciously attribute certain characteristics and personalities to you purely because of the way you appear to them, it becomes a way more nuanced conversation That's why these days I worry about the way people are introduced to having these conversations because there is no one homogeneous Black experience. There's barely a homogenous Black Australian experience, even if we were to dwindle it down to the Black Australian heterosexual female experience. Now it's not homogeneous. And so when these conversations happen and people are said, you know, to quite literally do this. This is how you should show your support, This is how you should show your interest, this is what you should do in order to be a good ally or a well versed person, or you know, an emotionally aware person. And suddenly it's not being received by the people that you're meant to be doing it for. Then you're in this tricky territory of being like, well wait, hold on, I don't even understand the problem. Yes, wait, I like, what do they actually go through? And like, hah, totally, I don't think I get it. And I think I had a similar conversation a few weeks ago. I think I know where somebody has said to me. You know, I find it hard to comprehend that black people are so you know, marginalized or they're like their thought of as being less than in any circumstance, because all the black people that I'm aware of are exposed to our celebrities are affluent, rich people with power, So don't I can't fathom that the same people and now talking about how oppressed they are. And I was like, wow, this is part of the issue. If your only exposure to a certain type of person is through a very specific lens, then how can you fathom you should be able to I think that's a very generic skill that most people should be able to do, to perceive things that they can't actually taste, sea, feeling, touch. Yeah, and if you're not an intuitive person, maybe that's not something that's very easy for you to do. But for the rest of us, like I can quite easily sympathize to what it is to be a white man without being one. It's very easy. It seems a bit difficult.
Speaker 2: But I also think it's Yeah, it's so interesting how so much of the dialogue has been assuming that experiences are really homogeneous, and then you actually get into a conversation and most of the things you assume are going to be the things you talk about aren't, And actually, for a lot of people, their ethnicity is such a small I mean, it's been a big part of their experience, and it's been a big part of what other people project onto them as part of their identity, but for them personally, they're like, actually, my ethnicity is not the biggest thing. It's not my biggest feature. Like, I don't know why you all insist on making the conversation about that when like even you know, Teliko I had on last week and I really wanted to cover a lot about Indigenous Australia and her experience in the community, because I wanted to make the episode an opportunity for education for people who hadn't had as much exposure to the Aboriginal community or what her journey might have been like. And she was sort of like, it's really not a big part of my journey, like that, it's a huge part of my identity.
Speaker 1: I'm really really proud of it.
Speaker 2: I have experienced good and bad from it, but I also am an athlete. I went to the Olympics. Like that's I don't see.
Speaker 3: It, absolutely I could imagine.
Speaker 2: And so on that note about the other facets of our identity, I think the other thing that's been really interesting about knowing you is you come across now as so clear on your thoughts and so self aware with hindsight on all those different stages of your journey and now occupy such a unique part of society. But I love that you're aware that you you've found your right balance between conformity and uniqueness, and you see it exactly where it's comfortable for you. But I love also that to remind everyone that even the most sure of people and even the most different and taboo breaking of people, you have to sort of start somewhere. You know, you started quite conventional, like gas reading. You worked at Zoos Shoes in twenty twelve in PR and I'm like, literally was it an office?
Speaker 3: Like I don't in at one point I was at, you know that girl who went to UNI in he a full face of makeup because I wanted to present the job that I wanted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I was like, even to McLay College.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've had a McClay graduate on a couple of weeks ago, and I'm like, I just can't imagine you now having gone through all those phases. But you have to, so of course tell us about coming into your full voice and those early days when you couldn't be as different as you wanted to be and it wouldn't have been as well received. And also you didn't necessarily know what your voice was then. So was it as you went out of PR and then into DJing that that happened or was it before?
Speaker 1: Like when did that all unravel?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I can recall, perhaps, you know, eleven year, eleven year, twelve and graduating high school, that in itself was a very accelerated identity evolution because suddenly I was becoming more and more aware of how I was being perceived. I wasn't liking it. I didn't know the right words or phrases to attribute to what I was feeling or what was being done to me. Yeah, of course people aren't racist, but can they say they didn't expect me to speak English? Like? Is that not offensive? Am I being too? So it was just recalibration. And I guess because growing up in the Eastern suburbs and then you know, having the majority of the black community living in the Western suburbs, my only kind of access to them was through church, and I stopped going to church as like a thirteen fourteen year old because I was like, I don't like love spirituality. I don't know if I can do the church thing.
Speaker 2: I can imagine you're saying it exactly like that in your own mind. I'm not sure I can do this church thing anymore.
Speaker 1: Guys, Yeah, it's not for me.
Speaker 3: So as I was beginning to grow older and I understand that my identity was inherently black and African, but not having a varied access point or a touch point to experience that I had. My mum's very warped sense of view, not warped, but walked from mine because she came here thirty something years ago, but she had to be in a refugee detention center, like she had to really work her way up to be seen as, you know, an equal in a lot of spaces. And then my brothers being two African men, you know, one being born here but one being born in Ghana, also having first hand access to what it's like to be seen as others, because the experience of black men, I'm sure in a lot of cases is a bit more volatile than the experience of the black women. You know, the stereotyped black women can of course be dangerous, but they're more so petty, whereas the ones to black men really remove them from certain environments because oh no, you might rub me, you might steal something from me, might write me. It's just too much. So it was, yeah, an accelerated part of my learning where I did this thing where I kind of shed my skin in the sense that I took away all the stuff that I was trying to use as a buffer to the real mean. So that means that I had to stop dressing so overtly emo because it really wasn't my identity and I was overenthusing. So we had to stop with the platform, stop with the black lipstick, stop with a black eyeline, and stop with the scene hand all of it. Right. So when I took that part off, I was left with a blank canvas, and I thought, this is a good opportunity to see that if I presented as someone who was more conventionally conventional, would that change my experience? And so I just started dressing normal as an Aquarius moon would. So that meant, you know, hairstyled every day, beautiful extensions in full face and makeup, you know, full outfit, heels, handbag clack clack clack clack, black making a point, making a scene. Oh, I could never wear jeans, I could never wear a T shirt. I'm just too business focused for that.
Speaker 1: I'm so professional.
Speaker 3: Is I'm just too professional to ever be comfortable. That's not in my point of thinking. Obviously not obviously not so spending about eighteen to i'd say twenty being that person, and also now seeing that the I was presenting, even though I thought it was bland and blank, was also projecting an identity. You know, it was maybe segregating me from feeling like I was approachable or personable, because it wasn't like walking into a UNI and being like clacklack, like, hey everyone, I put my hand back down. It's not accessible. And so again I moved out of that space. And I remember being in PR and I could feel like I was going to push myself into hyper identifying as the PR girl and wearing what they wore and speaking how they spoke and thinking what they thought, because I didn't have space and time to step away and identify, well, if I don't want to be seen as these people, what am I comfortable being seen as? Because I still was in a space where I could show my natural hair, people would know I was black. I couldn't do that right completely visible. You know, I certainly can't go to Garner and see my extent of family. People will know that I'm not do you know?
Speaker 1: That is so interesting.
Speaker 2: I've had that exact same thing where I went through a phase of like complete denial of being Asian like and I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what part of my brain was, like it's it's not off it it makes sense. It's a secret like no.
Speaker 3: One And it's funny to laugh about now because it's so ludicrous, But as you just said, it's not an uncommon thing. So people who are visibly different to do. And so I had to think to myself, well, if I'm so help bent on not being seen as that person, and then who was this person? What can we settle back into. Interestingly enough, at the time, I was in PR and I was just in a weird spot where I was giving too much of myself to a job and I was tying all of my self worth into my career. And because it's not something that I was really interested in and it's something that really required everything that you had, I just felt so depleted all the time, and I thought maybe I wouldn't feel depleted if I had any anything else going for me, any interest, any hobbies, any way to express myself. And at the time, you know, being twenty, all of my friends were still going out getting kissed or whatever. But I did the binge drinking thing from fifteen to eighteen, but didn't ever learn how to socially drink. So I was going out, not drinking, being really sober, being like, fuck, this is so boring, and I felt I love the environment, I love getting dressed up, I love having access to this, but like, I want to be here with the purpose. I would love to like be a door girl, like get paid, hang out whatever. So that's what I did, right, And the promoters that I met ran this club night that was called Side Changed, and it was not a normal club night, because that's not where an Aquarius mood would want to go to. It was a club night that was made for and by Internet kids. And if you can imagine, it's twenty twelve, twenty eleven, and so it's a time where you know, dressing like the internet was bit. We were wearing like cool platform boots and holog and you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, oh my god, I forgot about remember.
Speaker 3: And like having weird hair and just being a little bit weird, you know, but it was expected to see it on the internet, but we were bringing it to a real life space. And then suddenly, before I knew it, I was wrapped up in being this club kid, you know, dressing skin, skin heels, heels, platform boots, like crazy makeup, crazy hair, I'm just crazy, unique girl. And again, before I knew I was just settling into another identity because I just didn't know who I was or how I wanted to be perceived. And at the time, identifying or looking as I was a club kid was very beneficial. We were the coolest, we were the most connected.
Speaker 2: We hadous VIPs who goes straight to the front of the line. Legitimately, I remember those days where I was like, I'm just gonna wear my belt as a skirt because I will get in and I'll just be a club right and not be a maker.
Speaker 3: And it was such a time. And so it was in that period where I then started DJing and then transitioned from you know, a girl who DJ to being a full time DJ. And then you grow a little bit older and suddenly realize you just don't want to be like dressing up like a literal like whatever we looked like anymore. It just was getting to a point where I was having to wear a quote unquote normal outfit out of the house and pack a separate change of clothes in my bag because I didn't want to get abused on the trainer in the uber to the club, and it was all too much and so I hadn't. It was an epiphany, but kind of a waking up moment where it always happened to when I look at my wardrobe and feel like it doesn't reflect me because I've spent all this money and time really trying to be somebody different, and it was it kind of coincided with being a DJ and getting pr for that, and also being like, fuck, I just don't want to be seen as a club kid, club kid, club kid, because then it's like club kid ethics were thrown onto me in club kid conversations and I didn't know or care about them, And so I made a kind of vow to just be because I was finally in a position where being a DJ, you can imagine like you're kind of given. How do I explain it? It's just a cloudy kind of job. People assume you're like, I'm attle, smart, like aware, like you're creative, you're all of these things. And so I thought, finally in a position where how I'm being perceived matches how I feel about myself, so it's up to me to sort of do the extra groundwork. And so dressing how I felt and wearing what I wanted and speaking what I felt were all part of that process. You could only do so much intentionally, because I mean, you you have to in some cases change the way you operate overnight for you to really do it. Yeah, and so I didn't know what I was doing, but I just definitely knew that there was a way that I wanted to be perceived and it had to match to what I felt and to every conversation. I had to get away from being that charming ares who's just down floor a chat and it's always here to tell the story and just say how do I feel like I want to operate in this space what feels most aligned? And I think that it was easy for me to do that and to settle into being myself because I was in a position in my life where I was finally given room to yeah, like, wow, if you're the DJ It means that you have the answers, You've moved from a traditional job to an unconventional job. You live in your own apartment, you do what you want, You've made money from being yourself. You must have the vision, you've got you've got it all. And I didn't, but now suddenly I had space where I could figure it out, you know, and so it all had to be super conscious. And I remember there was this time when I was eighteen, right, and I had just was one year out of high school, and I remember I was going to Tafe to study fashion business, just because I thought that if you liked clothes, you should work in fashion. So I would go to Tafe like every other day and not listen and not apply myself, just fuck around. And there was one time where I thought, okay, I have assessments, and shit, I should just go to the library, role play academia and then I'll get some work done. Didn't happen. Took a phone call, was walking up and down the library. What do you call them aisles? I think asles, I guess so. And I remember it sort of like randomly stopping in the self development area because the conversation had got into a juicy point where I couldn't walk and talk was far too complicated.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah, absolutely, I know.
Speaker 2: It hits like this critical point where you're like, I can't use my energy on my legs.
Speaker 3: No, I must listen. And I remember running my fingers through the spines of the book and then picking up just a random blue one that I was flipping through to do something with my hands as I was listening, because it was a listening conversation for me, not a speaking one. I needed something to keep me engaged. And by the end of the conversation, I was like walking out of the library and just took this book with me. Didn't even think about it, really, just took it. Nothing beaped, which is odd, but you know what.
Speaker 1: It is, because it's an honor system, babe.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get on the train and the book is like it's like how to understand people by understanding yourself a book by Florence Littauer or something right, And it was a book all about personality archetypes in the way that every individual person, as unique as they may be, falls into an archetype just naturally because we're conditioned to do so by a environment and society, and I thought it was just the coolest thing and so. And also in high school, I was really into the maes Briggs personality typing thing. I used to do it on everyone because you know why, I couldn't figure out who I was. I made my main priority to figuret who everybody else was. I get you, you're this, You're an IRONTJ. I see it. You're one dimensional to me. Don't even worry about having it like I really thought I knew. And so fast forward into adulthood, I started to go back to that. I thought, if I'm really struggling to see who I am without looking at it through the lens of everybody else, what would happen if I just used the system that would reflect my answers back at me, and that would be a really good starting point to figure out who this bitch is and helped because suddenly I was like, oh, yeah, like okay, I guess I do. I am really concerned about being valued and expressing my value is really important, and having my value being seen is very important. It makes sense why I go into environments and want to be want to feel like I'm in a position where if I was to express myself, I'd be heard that is important.
Speaker 2: What else, oh man, I honestly am like, firstly, how are you twenty five? Because most people hit this like critical point if ever, in like their fifties and sixties, which is why it's called a midlife crisis, because they've had this one.
Speaker 1: Identity of their whole life.
Speaker 2: You've done the work, You've done the work like before your quarter life crisis, which is incredible. But also it's so interesting you said before how you looked at your wardrobe and you were like, this doesn't reflect who I am.
Speaker 1: I think that's on a broader it's like a broader.
Speaker 2: Metaphor for life where people step back and they look at their life and they're like, this doesn't fit me, like what we spend so much time being some other person? And really there are actually a lot of tools and you can create the space for yourself in your life to wipe this late clean and do the work as we call it, and do this exercise that you did to sort of now be exactly who you are unapologetically and not feel such a dissonance between what your life reflects about you and who you actually are.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and there's a level of I mean, personality typing only created a foundation for me to work on top of it was when I had uncovered this the idea of critical thinking, and that really it just really connected the dots for me, because I guess once you get into the point where you like understand who you are and your self aware enough to know how you appear and whatever, there is a gap because self awareness isn't just what you do, it's why you do it. What influence is why you do it, why you're made aware of it, all of these things, and I guess I was back to square one, but just in a more elevated way where instead of really exploring what it meant to feel like myself, I was now latching onto But I'm an antp and my archetype is you know, A, yeah, I'm an ediogram pree wing two. And then you're like, okay, yeah, these things are all true. But what's my belief system, what's my moral code? Do I have ethics? Do I actually care about anything? What do I feel? And for the most point, I mean, I'm personally someone that might I care about very few things, and I definitely think that when you're in a position of influence the world wants you to care about everything, right. You gotta care about the environment, about the animals, about people, about experiences, about the system, about status. And it's like I can be aware, I can be highly educated on things and not fundamentally care, and that for me creates a lot of space to put extra effort into what really matters to me and understanding who I am actually matters, because it's been the cornerstone of why do any of anything right. It's the reason why I can get paid to just tell people what I think, because I've really taken time to figure out what I think matters, and how I think about things matters, and how I express myself matters, and my opinion matters, and unfortunately not everybody does.
Speaker 2: But that's so interesting as well that I think that's probably what I've been on the cusp of realizing for myself as well as I've always been a bit of an overcareer and realize that that actually dilutes my potential impact if I just really more selectively chose the things that I gave a fuck about. And like I had Mark Manson on a couple of weeks ago and re read his book in reflecting on his whole idea of you know, the satellite of not giving a fuck doesn't mean be indifferent and apathetic and like don't care about anything, but it means just choose. Like there's a limited amount of energy and time and a limited amount of other people's attention towards what you have to say, so like, maybe be a bit more selective if you can't be the ambassador for everything in life, but you can have a huge impact.
Speaker 1: On the things that you choose really carefully.
Speaker 2: And I love that about you because you kind of give us all permission to be like I actually am okay with caring about the things I care about, giving my all to those things and everything else someone else can do.
Speaker 3: I love that absolutely. It's because I fundamentally care about self awareness and fundamentally care about critical thinking and learning and articulating myself that I am this person. And I feel as though when people are asking for insight, onto you know, expand their view of the world and to be able to really understand what they think and why they think, it it's a performance because it feels good to people to know that you know, But in reality, it takes so much time, so much effort, so much introspection that if you don't really care, then don't do it because it's not beneficial to you or anybody around you. And then you fall into that trap of the person who's self aware of all the ways they are a menace to society. I'm so annoying every time I go on a date with someone, like, I'm just so unengaged because I just want to get me through. That's not cute. We need to know that, you know. She's like, Oh, I'm so terrible. Like I love the environment, I really do, and I always get mad at people so buying fast fashion, but I will never use a keep cup. People always say, like, people say these things, and I've literally overheard this doesn't add up. You don't have to be this way.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I love it so literally.
Speaker 2: When I first bought this, the very first reflex card that I pulled out of the packet, this was like maybe last year was would you rather be hated for who you are or loved for who you aren't? And it's just like fundamentally one of the most important questions anyone can ask themselves. And I love how you have been a shadd of the skin and have worn many skins, because that's exactly what a way to journey is is. You don't I always say, you know, you don't have to see the whole staircase to take the first step. You probably at each of those steps would never have known that you'd end up a professional opinion have her who actually gets paid to do the stuff you really really care about and love. But that's where you ended up, and it took a lot of steps to get there. But now you are you know, you're what do you call yourself? A multidisciplinary millennial in media? You're her, that's her MTV presenter, Bobo and flex podcast beauty Guru. You are a co founder of flex Factory. Like, there's just so many things now in so many ways that you are doing exactly what you love and exactly what is you. But I love how openly you remind us of all that, Like you don't wake up like that.
Speaker 3: No, And also it's just not for everyone. It's very easy to have a very stylized and idealized view of the way somebody does what they do, But none of this shit is easy. Like it's easy for me because I enjoy it, But fundamentally, any form of improving developing, upskilling, evolving, transforming is hard, absolutely, and if you don't have to do it, and if it's not going to be something that you are committed to doing, then don't even worry about it. I mean, the question would you rather be hated for who you are and love for who you aren't? Is such a cliche because I don't think the average person is acutely aware of how they move through the world begging for approval, because it really is important to be felt as though you're liked and loved. And it's really interesting because when I play that game or when I answer that question with people, they always assume I prefer to be hated for who I am. Fuck no, you know how terrible it is to be on the receiving end of anything, but like acceptance and warmth. I'm not a crusader, Like I'm not trying to be the person who is the antagonist, you know, the one who's just like the anarchist is doing things. It's what I want to do. And if no, I'm acutely aware of how good it feels to be put on a pedestal or projected upon in a positive way. And I'm quite comfortable with that because I always know I'm never going to be in a position where i can go to each individual person that has access to me and explain them exactly who I am and the way I want to be seen. It doesn't matter, and I don't really care, like, just give me the good shit because I am motivated by pleasure and leisure and feeling good and being loved like that's fun. Not being mad.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think another thing that really stands out and why you have the longevity and support that you do in what you do, even though if other people were as sort of taboo breaking or open about things that make other people uncomfortable, is because it's clear that you're not doing it just to be controversial. Yeah, you know, it's clear that you're not just like I'm just gonna like cause a fuss here, I'm just say shit that makes people uncomfortable because it's fun, Like you do it because you care about sexual liberation and you care about education of you know, people about topics they wouldn't normally engage in, and you do it so well.
Speaker 3: Per And it's an interesting way to put it because I now are in this time where of like what call it I don't know like radical, which is a very radical time at the moment, and people are getting thrust into evolution prematurely. You know, yesterday you weren't aware of the way black lives were disproportionately affected to other lives, but today you are and suddenly want to be an activist. It literally cannot happen overnight because your ability to understand can't be fully evolved in a night. And what we see is, like you said this, it's not even contra People aren't trying to be controversial the sense of like, let me jump on, but there's this definitely their motivation doesn't match with their actions and it doesn't ever feel genuine. And I feel like we are in a time of performative everything, performative activism, performative relatability, performative understanding, performative normalhood. I too have depression, I too cry, and it's like we get it. But if you spend half that time just trying to better communicate who you are and the expectations of you, then maybe you wouldn't be bullied for not advocate heading for certain groups, and maybe you wouldn't feel pressure to show that you are a keep cup using environmentally conscious, so and so. You know, people always use that annoying cliche phrase it's like moving through the world with intention and blah blah blah, But it so matters. It is in your best debt and it's in your best interest to figure out who you are and how you want to be perceived so you can start living a life on your own terms. Everybody always says to me, you're so lucky that you can like have you like, do what you want and say how you feel. It wasn't luck. Going against the grain isn't beneficial until it is, you know, like these things went well received just because I did it. You don't see the das be like, oh, you're just like a DJ. Stick to what you know, don't talk about these things, blah blah blah. And suddenly it's like, oh, can we borrow your mind. Here's a consulting fee's there's a process, you know, and don't stress yourself out if you're not here for I'm not saying not to give things a go and see how they fit. But also if we all cumulatively spent just an extra few minutes a day critically thinking, assessing what we do, why we do it what impacted what we're doing and what we really think the benefit is of anything that we're doing, because we all have an agenda. We all have agendas. It's just a matter of a lot of us aren't really aware of why we do the things we do. As soon as you can get down to the like the nooks and crannies, you start to feel free, gily, You're just like, ugh, I know why I do this. I know I can comfortably say that I do care about things and I don't care about things. I have agency because I've given myself that agency. Nobody said, hey, flex, now we think it's appropriate that you can speak about things you care about. I did it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, But that's actually such a good point because with anyone who's doing something different in any way, like even just like you know, technological innovation or product innovation or thought innovation in your case, it is really unpopular and controversial until it's not.
Speaker 1: But someone has.
Speaker 2: To go through that bit first, which is why I love to go back to the very beginning when you weren't able to be as freely yourself and probably didn't know who that was anyway, but you couldn't have been born into the world flexmami as you are now.
Speaker 1: It just wouldn't you know.
Speaker 2: That's not how people's journeys go, and that's not how change is generated, and that's not how unique voices in society develop. You have to go through all the conformity and then you have to go through it all to actually make get the trust and build the voice that you have today. I don't think luck. I mean, I think luck is a part of the journey for you know, everyone, But I think most of it is that you're a damn hard worker and you are willing to just put yourself on the line while you explored all these parts of yourself and now you've earned where you are to be able to be a professional opinion ever because you've spent so long working on your opinion.
Speaker 3: That's it. It's interesting because they tell people to like it's all about assessing what actually works for you. Because I speak to my boyfriend about this sometime, He's come like, I guess I could do what you do. I'm like, yeah, you are a risk analyst. You can finance. Everything you do is binary. There is a way it needs to be done for the best possible outcome, and you don't stray, And there's a reason you don't because all the risk analysts before you have proved that this is the best way to do. So what we do commodifying ourselves is very risky. I feel like people forget that people aren't inherently likable, you know, like not everyone can be in a position where they not only sell themselves their personality, their interests, their beliefs, the way those dots need to connect, the way you need to be so acutely aware of how you're perceived and what spaces you can enter. I definite wouldn't say it's rocket signed, but it's just not simple work. And often if you had to outweigh the benefits of the pros and the cons, this industry is riddled with cons. Even the idea of every week jumping on to express how you feel and then being tied to those ideas absurd.
Speaker 1: So absurd. I'm so upset, And yet.
Speaker 3: We do it because we can, and because we're comfortable with what we're saying and how we're saying it. Are we the first person say tomorrow, Oh, you know, I take it back. I don't really, I don't really subscribe to those beliefs but there's a certain confidence in being able to do so. If you don't have that, then practice. H it's the small things. The next time you go to a restaurant and somebody asks you, how was that, let them know I really did enjoy myself. You know, I thought that the juice came out a little bit late, but I enjoyed myself. The next time your friend asks you, you know, how'd you feel about me inviting my boyfriend to your birthday? Babe? I prefer you didn't like I haven't seen you in a minute. It's just been It would be really nice to connect with you one on one or one on nine with the other girls coming. These are all ways you start to fortify you know who you are. You can't be mister missus passes and then wonder why you're not in a position where articulation comes naturally to you. What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Flex What do you make.
Speaker 2: Such valuable reflections for so many people who I think are sort of mister and missus passive and then are like wondering why they don't have the platform then to express themselves.
Speaker 1: Or the language.
Speaker 2: So now that you do have so many different outlets and are living a flashy life.
Speaker 1: What are your favorite ways to b flex? Is it? Do you still DJ?
Speaker 2: I know you do it every now and then you'll come out and do a big event. Is it the podcast? Is it your beauty work? Is it the flex factory and the products? Is it your renovations that you've been doing, or you're like diy, you know, paint shobs. Like what is lighting you up the most of the moment.
Speaker 3: I'd say, it's every time I can wake up and do exactly what I want to because I want to, and it is a privilege in itself, and I assumed it's a privilege I would have far sooner in my life. I know, Hubris, it happens so many times. I Mean, when I transition from full time work to freelance, I thought, oh, I'm gonna work whenever I want to do whatever I want. And then you're like, oh no, like I actually need to be generating ideas income all the time. And the days where I can just say, oh, I do have emails and I have work, but I'm literally gonna get in my car and drive to the farm and like vibe out, you know, all the day where I'm like, you know what I am just gonna make something because I want to. I won't even share it because I don't have to. And so much about what I am learning to value in my life is just remaining really, in the most cliche way, true to myself, like really identifying what really makes my life worth living. Because I'm a duty fulfiller, I will do what I have to and what needs to be done over what I want to do at any day. But taking back my agency is just my favorite thing because it means that I haven't lost myself again. It means that I'm still really aware of who I want, who I want to be, and who I am and the things that will kind of make me want to continue living. I can't feel like there's a void up to the rest of my life. I want to get to the point where I'm like, oh, this is all just nus, yeah, and finding ways to give myself agencies, just working towards contentment, be like I know exactly what is that makes me happy. I know exactly what is it makes me feel fulfilled, and sometimes I don't.
Speaker 2: But I also find that a side effect of being hyper self aware and constantly open minded to learning and growth and analysis of yourself and the way that you do things also is kind of really damn exhausting because you're having double the amount of thoughts as a normal person.
Speaker 1: You're having your thoughts and then you're thinking about your thoughts.
Speaker 2: And I find that I'm so prone to burn out because of the amount of self reflection.
Speaker 1: That I do.
Speaker 2: How do you manage that your energy when you're constantly I mean, everyone wants a piece of flex but you also are reflecting on all the different ways that you're expressing yourself, Like how do you find moments of peace and then not physically and emotionally just burn out.
Speaker 3: It's tricky because burnout really is my vocation, Like, yeah, it's it's just what I tell and I do it well. And for the longest time, I was really aspiring for conventional balance, being able to just do a bit here and then not do too much and really manage my energy. It's not happening. It's not something that I know how to do really well. I naturally do a lot and then do nothing, do a lot and then do nothing, which was also affirmed by the time that I went to go see a celebrity astrologer and she was looking at my chart and she was like, yeah, like you're so lucky. Yeah, you wi't know how to kill it. Oh yeah, I'm really seeing You're gonna have to really be mindful of burnout. That's just something that's gonna I'm like, sis, say no more. What I need to be do is what I need to be do language it's tricky. What I need to do for myself is less about how to eradicate burnout and more about how to be more aware of when it's coming and what activities I do that are burnout inducing. So I know, for me, what really pushes me over the edge is when I'm not being understood, when I'm doing things out of obligation, when people are prioritizing themselves and exploiting me. So that's when someone's saying, like, you do this, do thing you don't want to do, but it's for a certain amount of money. No, like no, because I'm not doing all of this to be now tied to an arbitrary system like money. It's nice and I'll take it, but also don't use it as a tool to guide me like I'm a dog on a leash. It's not happening. So if I can sort of mitigate the areas of my life that push me towards you know, over stimulation, over exhaustion, over outputting. Then that's much better and I can kind of get to a burnout stage that's easier to manage that I'm not manic and you know, fully emotional, feeling anxious and super depressed. I'm like, oh, you know what, I just need a break and that's fine.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I think if all of us were aware enough to list what those sort of depleting activities were, everyone would be so much healthier.
Speaker 1: Real.
Speaker 2: But the other thing that I think comes on the flot side of that is the last section, which is called playta, And that's the part where we strip back all the aspects of our identities and just.
Speaker 1: Do what purely brings you joy.
Speaker 2: What's not obligation based, what I think isn't even learning or productive outcome based, which is really hard for people like May who just like want to win it stuff and like get better and like progress what other things?
Speaker 3: Wait, are you an enneagram three as well? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm an aries like it's yeah, we are the same. But when we're manically focused on self improvement and reflection, and betterment, which means that I will constantly be in a place of chronic fatigue unless I make time actively and religiously make myself play and do things that make me forget what time it is and that have no sort of milestones of achievement about it. So how do you play? Do you do anything that's just for fun?
Speaker 3: I love that you've worded it that way, and quick caveat. I was listening to a podcast about an Enneagram three and somebody had asked him a similar question, how do you just like play? And he was like, Oh, what I do is I become the best at being leisurely? You know, I exceeded it And I was like, wow, you're my person. But that's exactly it. I knew there was a time where, you know, I was never going to be that person who's just like you know, feel when I needed a time to take a break and then take it. No, I need to do it with intention. And so there are some days where I will just watch Netflix for ten hours and watch a season a day because I can and I should and I want to. And it's finding activities like that that don't that I can't justify at all. But I will prioritize, and that is, you know, getting another chest of drawers from Facebook marketplace and painting them. Do I need more draws? No? Do I have more space? No? Am I going out of my way to inconvenience myself? Yes? Will it bring me joy? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: I love that you're now getting people to send you things they.
Speaker 1: Marketplace that are like out you see it? Yeah, and you know I need it? Then I will take those draws. I don't care how much room I have to move around in my own house.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it's just I'm outsourcing and optimizing my lifestyle. But yeah, just my challenge is, like you said, not not trying to like monetize things or attribute like a like a value to things in the way that it makes me feel good or bad to just do and being creative help because I can just paint or make something or whatever and it'll take a whole day and that's what I need. Yeah, Yeah, I mean I just if you're not creative, I don't know how you just find time to do things that don't matter, because yeah, like being a person is not creative, and then doing creative things and not being good at it, that would suck. Because there's a reason why I can go and buy a chest to draws and paint them because I'm.
Speaker 1: Good at it and you know it'll turn out well.
Speaker 3: Is enjoyable, even if there's no like value attribute to it. I'm like, it's fine, and it looks good.
Speaker 1: It does definitely look good.
Speaker 2: So, just to finish up, what are three interesting things about you that don't normally come up in conversation? And I mean, you have a lot of conversations and I'm pretty open about yourself, so it's probably a hard one, but I mean I read one that your last meal would be a bundless chicken burger with chips and mushroom sauce, which really surprises me because we know that you're bland now and I'm like, really, mushroom sauce.
Speaker 3: And to think mushroom sauce is one of those things. So for context, the rational is hurricanes and I don't know if they exist in Melbourne, but they're definitely in Sydney. And it's just like a simple steakhouse type vibe, the kind of place where you could take a family for like a nice ish meal for somebody's birthday, but for the average you know, like adult. It's just where you go to on like a date night if you wanted to. You know, Yeah, I went there all as a teenager because it's where we used to go. And we're sixteen and we want to dress up, go to Darling Harbor where heels, and go to a nice restaurant. And I've ordered the same thing for years, the bunless Chickenberg, because the bun is too big. Also, right, it's not briosh. It's a big, crusty, seedy bun. Oh no, that you literally can't wrap your mouth around and it just takes up. It's not it's not at all. So I remember, like all throughout my high high school period, even in adulthood, my best friend Grace, I've got two best friends called Grace, not to get them confused, but Grace from high school would always order mushroom sauce and it's brown. It looks unappetizing, and I was like, ill, Grace, Grace whatever. And then one day the Picciata tried it and was like, oh, I get it. Mushroom sauce is good. So unfortunately, though I guess my taste buds have you know, transformed in some way. But hurricanes doesn't hit like it used to. So I might have to mend my last meal later on in my life, but for now, I'll take it. The other thing that's quite Let's just say something that people would know about me and say, if you look at your fingers right, like turn your hands palm side up, and if you look at the little creases on your individual fingers, right, yeah, how many can you count, like defined creases?
Speaker 2: So there's like two at the base, yeah, two at the first knuckle, and then one at the next knuckle.
Speaker 3: Mostly show me your put your palm to your thing. So let's say, like look at your pinky, right, You've got like one at the base and then like that sort of like two lines that are connected in the middle and the one of the top. So we could just say three defined points, right, yeah, yeah, I have four? What you've got one? Two, three? Four? And I had this. I don't know if it was a theory, but when I was younger, I used to say that I was definitely like an alien princess kidnapped, right, so.
Speaker 1: Nick out of this world unique just you.
Speaker 3: Know, it happens. But I used to say it as a joke, but I was just so know that nobody would believe me, and like, why is that so out of the realm of possibility that I could be an alien princess who was set down here to do a reconnaissance mission. It's not impossible.
Speaker 2: You could still not have been activated, Like you don't know, that's not still going to happen one day.
Speaker 3: But there was a point. I remember I had bought this like this really shitty bag from like Ruby Shoes or something, and the straps of the bag were connected by these like little like clippy hooks, and the clippy hooks always used to like separate from the bag, and it was just this crazy thing. But one time the clippy hook that connected the straps of the bag separated and like impaled my finger.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And so as my friends were kind of like, you know, helping me, you know, nursing me back to health, you know, in the in the food court in high school, somebody pointed out that I had extra lines.
Speaker 1: Wait, someone else noticed that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: As because because as we were like digging in and everyone was holding my hands and be like, oh my god, do you need to get everyone's like why do your fingers look so long? Like what's that about? And I was like, oh, I don't know, And so we started comparing all of our hands and saying, oh shit, I've got extra lines but not an extra knuckle. And every now and then I'll remember this really special trait and I will google it. I'll like go to like parmestree dot com and figure out like what what it actually means, because some people just have an extra line on one finger, and.
Speaker 2: You have it on majority because you're special and different.
Speaker 3: It's been confirmed, so I feel like it's an identifier of sorts. And eventually, when the aliens come down, they start to segregate us by value, and because we're all gross gremlin humans to them, the equivalent of like germs, they're not going to know how to you know, segregate us by our skills or our perceived worth. They're going to look for physical characteristics. And I'm hoping thing that long fingers like theirs will be a point of you know, harmony, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I also think they'll look at your furniture collection and go, yes, she can make all the draws in space.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine aliens would think we're just such dummies, like this is what you do with your time? Absurd idiot.
Speaker 1: They would look at like Instagram and just be like, what is happening here?
Speaker 3: Stupid people? So that's one thing, and that's two things. And I would say the third one is, I mean, what don't people know about me?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I would say, I mean maybe they do or don't know. So up until maybe like a year ago, going me two years, I had this like preoccupation with thinking that over emoting was a bad thing. I used to be such an emotions police officer. If people around me were over emoting, laughing too loudly, crying too much, like doing anything too much, I would just get so physically uncomfortable and have to feel like I should police that environment. Often I didn't, but like off these days, and do you know what it is, I've had to like go back into like the recesses of my mind because as some like, if you look at me, I'm not a conservative person, right Like I'm not someone who presents as being conservative in any way by like my ideologies, by the way I govern myself, whatever. But I definitely have, like from just growing up, had it drilled into me by my mom to be appropriate and like conducting yourself in an appropriate way. Is very important, and because so much of my life is unconventional, I am conducting myself appropriately for what is expected of my lifestyle right of the situation. But when I move into spaces where the standard is conventionality and there is like an appropriate way to act, I get super power annoid. So if we're in public and like my friends are talking too loudly, I'm like, hey, sister, can you.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, no, and they just be like, FLA, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's so sad, but I've been working on it. It's definitely something. Or like if I'm in the bank and someone is like too loudly, I'm like, oh no no no no no no no no no. Or if I'm at a bar and somebody is like not understanding that you've got to have your money out ready or your card and you've got to like decide before your turn, Like I freak out. I actually.
Speaker 2: House, Well, that's what I was just about to say. I love how particular your examples are as well. You're like, so I'm generally like you know X, y Z, but then you'll follow up with like the most specific example ever, like at a bar when you don't have your credit card ready for the person card, and I'm like, oh my god, I love you.
Speaker 3: Frustrated. That's frustrated. You're like frazzled.
Speaker 1: It's just totally as a fuck.
Speaker 2: So before the very last question, I just have one about something that people probably know but some people might not know. Where did flex Mammy come from?
Speaker 1: How did you choose that?
Speaker 3: Naw? Yeah, See everybody wants a really like fun story, but whoever has a fun story about the way their name came to me? Not one single person. No. For me, it was because the transition from being a person who played music occasionally in a club to being a full time DJ pretty much happened over the span of a month. It was like when it rained, it poured. The jobs were coming left, right and center and back in those days meaning like twenty fourteen, perhaps yeah, Instagram was a sing but it was definitely a type of person that used Instagram, so photographer or like a person who was a model or a brand builder, or you might have been a normal person who just didn't post. But there were definitely like particular ways of like operating. And I had an Instagram, but I never posted. I just lurked and stuff. So I thought, like an indicator of being right, just very I don't know if it's on brand, off brand, who knows, we're figuring it out, but I knew that like a key component of the a DJ was having you know, social media and you know, with specific names and stuff. So I remember being in a like a round table with the friends that I ran that club night with, and I was like, Fuck, I need a DJ name. Can we just quickly do a little like a little hour of power. Let's just get one so we can quickly get the Instagram and get the Facebook. And at that time, flex was a like I don't know, like a colloquial term use like lit and sleek and.
Speaker 1: Whatever else mad flex bra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it was a thing. And so I was like, I want to use flex because I feel like that, like the connotation's good, it's easy to spell, it's snetic, like it's so easy. But naturally, flex is so intertwined with the fitness industry and like the chiropractical industry, and like the muscleman industry, so naturally all of the handles were taken. I'm pretty sure there was a DJ flex already.
Speaker 1: Ah yeah, probably.
Speaker 3: So the roundtable then transitioned into Okay, we need like a prefix or a suffix to like make it yours. So like, you know, what about like little flex your name is Lilian Flex. And I was like, it feels like a bit of a parody. It could be like on the nose a bit. Yeah, so we're like, you know, it could be. And I was like, I just want something that like is very simple that eventually, if I don't need to use it, I can just take it off, so like a baby or like a And it was at the time everyone was called like young something you know, or like you know, So I was like, what about like a baby or like a mar And someone's like, what about mammy? And I was like, fuck, yeah, let's just do that.
Speaker 1: It was so random.
Speaker 3: We go onto Instagram to get flex Mammy the handle and it's taken how but at this point we had already committed to flex Mammy, like we had done the round table, had gotten everyone's thinking for too much time at this point that we just had to stick with it. And we went on this guy's page, like this black guy. I don't know where he's from, no buyer, He's on private and he has like a thousands a thousand followers. Now my boyfriend checked the other day to make fun of it, but back then he probably had one hundred and something followers. I was like, do I ask him? Because I remember somebody had bought Kanye West dot com like his domain, and he ended up paying them a significant amount of money to get the domain back. So I was like, I don't want to be extorted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, but you need that name, but I need the name. This is my name now.
Speaker 3: So I just decided to be Flex dot Marmy on Instagram and took the rest of the handles and everything else, and then that's it. Amazing, But it was purely it was It was a manufacturer name. It wasn't never like a nickname, wasn't anything. It was manufactured for the purpose of needing to be perceived as a brand. And if I knew it was going to stick and be a thing, then I would have considered it differently.
Speaker 1: But then it might not have come out.
Speaker 3: So well, yeah, who knows. But now it's just Flex. I mean, everybody just calls me Flex. The mummy is like a full government name, like it's so formal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's like that is my full name when you're in trouble flex mummy.
Speaker 3: Who would have thought Nat?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But you know what, I kind of think that if you had labored over it too much and known how far it would go, you might not have ever decided on something. Of course, I love that you were just like, yeah, that'll do it. And now it's like freaking amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean, one day I'll retransition back into Lillian when it serves me and suits my life spam, but for now, this will do.
Speaker 2: It's also such a beautiful, delicate name, Lilian. It is like flex is like so strong and like really powerful word, and then Lilian's like.
Speaker 1: It's just so like such a contrast.
Speaker 2: And very last question, since I love quote so much, what's your favorite quote?
Speaker 3: Ooh wow? Quote?
Speaker 1: Big question? I know.
Speaker 3: Can I quote myself?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Can? That would make it even better.
Speaker 3: I've been saying for years, and I'm pretty sure it's saying that my mum would have said in one of her amazing you know sermons to me. But it's simply if you know better, you do better. And it's too promped because on the first hand, it asks you to kind of be a little bit more forgiving and forthcoming, forgiving and sort of empathetic people who don't know and therefore don't do or act in the way that you deem to be appropriate or good. So when you come across somebody who's just a little bit ignorant, and you're like, if you know, if you knew better, you probably would behave in a different way, you know, So let me hold some sort of like empathetic space for you. I try. And then the second prong of that is, in order to ever get to a point of evolving into a better version of yourself, you have to learn and educate and explore. You just don't get to that point without having to do the groundwork. And I feel as though a lot of us assume we're just going to land and arrive into actualization and it's not happening. So we have to increase what we know to improve the quality of what we do.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's such a good one. And this is like a weird admittle admittle admission of awards are hard, Yeah, but it's a weird admission of how creepy I get in my research. But I have another quote from your mum that I also think is wonderful. Yeah, never do a job fifty percent of the way as if someone was going to come and finish the rest.
Speaker 3: Yeap.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: She drilled that into me and it took me so long to understand. And for context. My mom single mom, and she raised three kids right, and she was always really good at giving us context for our experience, like the reason why you can't have that nintenne ds because I can't afford it. This is how much I make an hour. It cost this much to rent our home. Your school fees are this much. Therefore I can't afford it. So And it was interesting though, because sometimes she would just ask us to do things without context, and we just struggled with the reasoning behind it. So every now and then I'd be in my family home and I hadn't lived there since I was at twenty, but she would ask me, It called me and be like, hey, can you take the frozen chook out of the freezer so it can thaw? Or can you take the clothes off the line or something right, And in my literal mind, sometimes I forget, or sometimes I would just do what she asked and not finish it. So I would take the clothes off the line, but not fold them, not give people their clothes, And then it just makes more work for everyone because now she's just used to energy to tell me what I did wrong, why I need to fix it. I'm defensive now I'm feel attacked, and all these things happened when it could have been so easy and so simple. And so I remember one day she just kind of like blew up and she was like, the reason why I tell you that you need to do things the full way is because not because one day they won't be someone to magically help you, but because it's a reflection of of how you navigate the world. Like, understand the privilege it is to have access to do shit. Understand how easy a life can be when you take full control of the outcome of what you're doing. If you're constantly waiting for so and so to come through and fix it and help you, then you're gonna feel like you have no agency to do anything. So like, and this is why I always get so frush ated when somebody is like, hey, flex, how do I start a podcast? It's like, is this fifty percent of the work you think is going to happen? Because I promise you there's like six more line items that need to be ticked off. Honestly changes It changes your worldview when you're like, okay, in how many ways do I wait for somebody to come and finish the job? You know, like when you don't tell your partner fully what you expected them because you just think that they're going to connect the dots themselves, Or when you don't fully express how you feel to someone and I see they're going to figure it out. Or when you you know, when you go into a hairdresser and you're like I just want highlights and like what kind of like, oh, don't want I trust you? These are all ways you make your life so much more difficult. Just finish the job, finish the sentence, finish the thought, like, do it all in full and at least you can be so much more responsible for the outcome. But that one, it took me so long to figure it out, Like what do you mean I'm not doing things half done?
Speaker 1: I took it, take it out.
Speaker 3: She's don't you know what happened with the chicken? Aren't I going to make stew with it? Why couldn't you cut it? Why couldn't you start cutting the onion. Why couldn't you?
Speaker 2: And that's like, ah man, oh my god, that's like about my favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like literally the four hundred seventy second nugget of wisdom I have just taken from you today. Flex, you are extraordinary one and a billion and so so grateful for this chat and every chat that you have ever.
Speaker 1: I look up to you so much and I am so so grateful for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you. This is so fun. I love it. I know, so much fun.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh my god, I literally went like half an hour over. I'm so sorry, but it was just so easy, so much fun.
Speaker 3: When the content's good, the content's good. Can't help it, absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean I can't constrain flex Mammy's content. Like, if it's gonna come out, it's gonna come out. She's a performer. What can I say? Three? Okay, So, firstly, especially while we're still in isolation to varying degrees, everyone go and buy yourself Reflex the game. It is such an incredibly powerful and fun self development tool. Is flex slash Lil not one of the most fascinating people to listen to. I could chat to her about our ponderings on life for days on end, and I.
Speaker 1: Very nearly did in this one.
Speaker 2: As always, I know she would love to hear. If any of you had any revelations or takeaways from this chat, please screenshot while you listen and share those, tagging at Flex dot Marmyan myself if you enjoyed. If you want more from Flex, remember she also has her own podcast, among many other things. Just head to her page for all the info. Hope you're having an amazing week and are seizing your yeay