Speaker 1: So much. You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on Hey spill is.
Speaker 2: So on today's episode, I share some opinions about Taylor Swift and Brittany mahomes friendship and I still stand by those. However, this episode was recorded before Taylor Swift announced her endorsement for Kamala Harris, so please keep that in mind when you listen from Mamma Maya. Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fix.
Speaker 1: I'm m Vernon and I'm Laura Brodnick.
Speaker 2: On the show today, we are talking about Taylor Swift at the US Open. We have talked about her at the US Open before, but we're talking about a photo of her hugging Brittany Mahomes. We break everything down for you. Plus, Beyonce has been snubbed at the Country Music Awards.
Speaker 3: But first but first, So a few days ago, the cast for the new season of the America Dancing with the Stars was announced. That's a huge show in America still and the casting is always a really big deal. But this time around, one person and one photo in particular made headlines and that is fake Heiress and Adelvi, who is in the new season, and there was a photo of her. I think people were losing their minds over because obviously they released like a dancing you know, portrait at each person who's competing, and hers very prominently had on display a chic little black ankorn monitor wrapped around her leg.
Speaker 2: So she's gonna be dancing with the ankle monitor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she has. I think that's the whole point of an ankle monitor.
Speaker 3: Haven't personally worn one, but that you have to keep it on all times and lets the police know if he moves away from the arena floor, she'll get pinged.
Speaker 2: Oh I wonder if she could put like a sleeve on top of it so it's not as like prominent.
Speaker 3: I think the way the photo has done, it's meant to be prominent, and you can just tell that she's loving So everyone was like, this is iconic, this is amazing. We love it because people, I think even love her even more so after the whole Netflix show came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of those weird sessions, like I remember when that movie of zach Efron where he acted as Ted Bundy. Yeah, the wickedly. Oh yeah, yeah, the one with the longest title ever. And like how everyone kind of got a re obsession with Ted Bundy forgetting that he was a serial.
Speaker 3: I have a slight issue with comparing Anna Delby and Ted Bundy.
Speaker 1: But a serial killer. Yeah, moving right past that.
Speaker 3: So even some of you friends, I know what posting this photo being like this is like conic, this is amazing. And then the women on the View, so the American talk show had a slightly different approach, particularly Whoopy Goldberg, who is a panelist on the show, and she was talking about how it wasn't the best move and that Anna hasn't paid people back. And today Anna has given an interview to page six basically calling Whoopy Goldberg and the viewwomen out, and she said, I served my time and I paid everyone back in full over three years ago. Of Woopy Goldberg, she said, I'm looking forward to your on air correction. And then she said to the View ladies, like her final message was stay nasty, ladies, but don't forget to vote. September seventeen.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she loves it.
Speaker 3: Though she would have loved that again, she would have loved the attention around it. But what I think is kind of been lost in this conversation a little bit, and that everyone's like, yeah, down with Woopye Goldberg, Like how dare she call out Anna Delvi? And so many people I think find Anna delviy, Like not just because of her crimes of like impersonating a rich heiress and all that sort of thing, Like it's such an intoxicating story. I can tell why people are so obsessed with it, but also because she was taking money from rich people in banks. It's kind of like she's a modern day Robin Hood, Like she's a criminal we can get behind. But I think, Whoopi Goldberg, her actual message has been lost in this hole back and forth of like current Anna Delvey calling each other out, because what the actual point of her message of saying that she feels uncomfortable seeing Annadelvi on Dancing with the Stars is that Anna Delvi had to get permission from ICE in America, which is the Immigration and Customs Enforcement team, had to get permission from them to compete in all this back and forth, and Whoopy Goldberg was saying, you know, I just think of all the families who've had their family members arrested by ICE, who have gone to the courts begging for their dad or their brother, or their mother or someone they love.
Speaker 2: Literally like ripped away from them.
Speaker 1: And then we've seen it again. That's the kind of thing we see from ICE in America. Is that.
Speaker 3: Obviously, I know that's a very kind of lad situation, but there are all these reports and these news stories that have come out of someone who has lived in America most of their life showing up to work one day being taken by Ice, being deported, being held in custody. There's a lot of people who are like fighting to get family members back or fighting to like get their immigration status changed. It's a very contentious human rights issue. And what Woopee was saying is she's like, I'm thinking of all these people who are fighting to get their families back, and then this woman has been given permission by ICE to do Dancing with the Stars, Like it feels like a double standard, and it just feels like a slap in the face to a lot of people in America who are facing this issue.
Speaker 2: It's also just like so telling and I have to be that person to say it, like, would she be given that permission if she had different colored skin. Absolutely not, and it's just insane. Do we get dancing at the stars here like the American American version. I'm sure you could find a way to streamers you want to watch it, You'll see the clips. The clips will be all like, I hope, like this is a massive for them. And then she gets kicked off for the first episode.
Speaker 3: Well, another big story that we must address today. Because you and I are quite fired up about this. I'm just gonna put it out there that I am until this day, I have never had an opinion about country music. Who she went awards, Who's at the top of the charts?
Speaker 1: Ipt?
Speaker 3: I respect country music, but it's not my genre of choice. But now I'm all in. I have thoughts and I have opinions, and that is because Beyonce Beyonce nos Karter. I guess it has been snubbed at the Country Music Awards. The Country Music Award nominations have come out. This is like the Grammys for country music, like the biggest, most prestigious awards ceremony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: They always draw a lot of big names, and she has performed before. She has performed there before. So her album Cowboy Carter failed to Land a single nomination when the nominations were released today. And if you're not across how the CMAS work. Basically like any of the big awards shows, Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, all that sort of thing, they're voted on each year by like a group of people who are in the Country Music Association. In this case, there's seven three hundred individuals and there's three different rounds of balloting, so like you know, to get the first round of nomination's, second round, then the actual winner. This is not a public vote, no, no, no, it's not.
Speaker 1: A public vote at all.
Speaker 3: It's by people in the music industry, kind of like how the Grammys is also voted by people in the music industry, and there's been a lot of contention around who is deemed worthy from them as well. So going back to Cowboy Karter, it is the first album by a black woman to reach number one on the Billboard Top Country Charts, which is a huge history making moment at the time. Also, the single Texas Hold a Great Song became the first song by a black woman to get the top spot on Billboard's Country Song chart, and it also charted in all different areas as well. But the fact that it was charting on those country music charts and then it broke those records and made her the first black woman to achieve that was a huge moment in musical history. And also Beyonce was also really passionate about pointing out that other women of color had been in the country music space, but you know, they had been held back from charting or having their music out there or being given awards, and she kind of pulled that all together and was like, yeah, I'm kind of doing it for all of us, which is a nice sentiment as much as we saw all these record breaking moments for Cowboy Carter, though, it was given like quite a limited promotion on country music stations, which was quite interesting. So music stations that are dedicated just to playing country music and a kind of scene as the taste makers in that area would barely play it. There's reports of people calling in and requesting songs from Cowboy Carter and they're being told they weren't going to be played. And it's kind of wildly believed that the airplay on those country music charts is going to, I guess change the industry's mind who vote for the awards more so than play on mainstream music channels, which has all resulted in her being snubbed from these awards, even though Beyonce said that Cowboy Carter wasn't strictly a country music album. Remember how she's like, it's not a country music album, it's a Beyonce album.
Speaker 1: Because she's a genre or herself.
Speaker 3: It does technique sit within the country music charts, and that's why everyone's like, well, it definitely should have been nominated.
Speaker 2: Some of those songs on her album was like, sounded more country than Taylor Swift Feelless. Yeah, like that that was a country album.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. And on one hand, a lot of people are saying, like, you know, she's Beyonce. She is known as one of the greatest musicians of our time. She sells out stadiums, her albums are so critically acclaimed. People love her, like does she need this? But I think it's not about Beyonce. It's more about the overlooked legacy of black women, black men, and women, but particularly I think black women in the country music industry. And I think also coming off the back of the Grammys and that big discussion we had this year, and we've been having for years around her being really snubbed by the Grammys in multiple categories. I mean, she's never been nominated for Artists of the Year, She's been snubbed over four times for Album of the Year and additional eight times for Record of the Year. Like the Grammys have really become about the We're not the Beyonce club, like is their tagline.
Speaker 2: It had to take her husband jay Z to say something, and even then people were annoyed at him, like how dare he say something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how dare he get up and make that moment about the fact that she'd been snubbed, But it had been a conversation had been happening for years, Like as we said the time, infamously, Adele made her whole acceptance speech about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually quite interesting because she is so smart, Like she is so brilliant. And I have a theory that she knew exactly what was going to happen. I have a theory that she knew she wouldn't be nominated at the Country Music Awards, and this was her way of saying, I told you so. Yeah, Like I've given you all the evidence. There's no reason that these radio shows should not be playing my music. There's no reason I shouldn't be nominated for an award or win an award. We saw the massive backlash she had when she performed at the CMAS, Like people hated her for that. I do remember I recommended a week in Watch, which was a short documentary on Binge. It was called Call Me Country, Beyonce and Nashville's Renaissance, and they interviewed a lot of black artists and musicians and they were talking about how important this album was not just for like Beyonce and country music, but also just generating wealth within black musicians who do perform country music, like the amount of backgrounds in because she's hired banjo plays violinists who are all black, who actually had an opportunity to kind of show their song and show their music. And it's just such a shame because like, by snubbing her at the CMAS, you're snubbing an entire group of people.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, guess off to see when the CMAS take place who actually wins in those categories. But I think this is and we should say the time of recording, Beyonce hasn't commented, and she won't comment, like she won't.
Speaker 2: She's done it. She knows exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she knows what we're saying. But I think it just goes to show that even like one of the most powerful, successful women in the world can still be pushed out of a category because her work isn't seen as worthy.
Speaker 1: What d.
Speaker 2: So you might have seen online there have been some photos circulating of Taylor. Firstly, there's photos of her and her partner Travis Kelcey. I'm not talking about this photus. We already talked about those.
Speaker 1: Oh, we talked to those in depth.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about a photo of her embracing a woman named Brittany Mahomes. Have we talked about Brittany Mahomes.
Speaker 1: I don't think we have.
Speaker 3: And, like everything else to do with this sport in America, like many other people in the world, I wasn't aware that all of these people existed until the whole Taylor Swift fandom kind of merged with the NFL.
Speaker 1: But I do know that she is the wife of.
Speaker 2: Patrick Patrick Mahomes, who is the star quarterback. That's the start I think that's the right word, like the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Is the start star and the team of the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Chiefs that Travis Kelcey also plays.
Speaker 3: And they acquired a famous couple right their lifestyle. They've got this kind of glam going on, rich beautiful people. One of their kids is named Bronze. I don't know that Bronze and Sterling, I do believe. And I know she's having another baby, So which I want her to call a Copper or something?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Yeah, yeah, Copper's such a good one.
Speaker 3: Actually, this is the information, Like I haven't sought out this information, This is the information that permeated my mind since the NFL became part of the Taylor Swift Show.
Speaker 2: Anyway continued, So, yes, so Patrick Mahomes Travis Kelcey play for the Chiefs together. They're also very close friends, which is why Britney Mahomes, Patrick's wife and Taylor Swift, Travis Kelsey's partner, how also friends. So they're friends by proxy and from photos and like them hanging out, it started to look like they became like really close, Like I think she was part of Taylor's girl gang.
Speaker 3: Yes, all those photos started coming out months ago of Taylor Swift out and about New York after it was confirmed she was dating Travis Kelsey and Brittany was in a lot of those photos, sometimes like holding hands with Taylor Swift, and then I was like, she's in.
Speaker 2: She's in, she's in. They've been going to the games together previously. It's been all good. So what has happened now? I'm going to take you through a bit of a timeline. Great is that Donald Trump posted on Instagram a tile that has all the things he wants to do when he becomes president. So the title of it was the twenty twenty four GOP platform Make America Great Again, And in it was like a list of everything that he's going to do, so stuff like steal the border and stop the migrant invasion, carry out the largest deportation operation in American history, keep men out of women's sport, like just Donald Trump's staff. Basically, our friend Brittany liked that post and then unliked it. Oh, I mean, but because she was in with Taylor Swift and Taylorswift fans know everything that's going on. So I think what Taylorswoft fans do is that the minute someone is friends with Taylorswift, they also become big fans and are obsessed with that person. So everyone caught on on the like unlike. She then posted on her Instagram stories. I mean, honestly, to be a hater as an adult, you have to have some deep rooted issues you refuse to heal from childhood. There's no reason your brain is fully developed and you hate to see others doing well.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I've seen so many people I follow have been reposting that ridiculous quote lately.
Speaker 1: Is that where it's coming from? From Retain?
Speaker 2: I think that's where it's coming from. So because she liked and unliked it, it wasn't that big of a deal. It is really weird, but not that big of a deal.
Speaker 3: She then posted because I guess she could say, did she just you know how someone's just calling the Instagram you actually liked it? Oh god, yeah, all quick now because yeah, yeah, pfile, Yes, I think maybe that could have been the issue. But then she posted a photo of herself. Someone commented Trump Vance twenty twenty four three American flags, and she liked that comment and you don't now on Instagram you can see because it says liked by author.
Speaker 2: Yeah so and she did not like it, so that's still there.
Speaker 1: So she meant to do it. It was a mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't a mistake. She then posted a tweet someone else's tweet on her Instagram stories with the caption read that again, and the tweet said, contrary to the tone of the world today, you can disagree with someone and still love them. You can have differing views and still be kind.
Speaker 1: Then ol Man Donald.
Speaker 2: Trump posted on his social media platform Truth Social. So I'm not on that platform, so it took me.
Speaker 1: A while at this Do you have an account?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: You signed up?
Speaker 2: Not signed up? I went through all the avenues to do it where I didn't have to sign up. He said. I want to thank beautiful Brittany maharme No for so strongly defending me and the fact that Make America Great Again is the greatest and most powerful political movement in the history of our now failing country. What a great couple. See you both at the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to say about this, because I didn't expect Donal Donald Trump to actually be well.
Speaker 1: Of course he is. Of course he's involved in that.
Speaker 3: He would love to know that this woman who's seen this is like this, like glamorous woman that up until now so many people in America love.
Speaker 2: And directly adjacent to Taylor Swift. Yeah, exactly, the most powerful people in America who could swing so many votes.
Speaker 3: Exactly that he thinks that she's on her side. I wonder if Brittany Mahomes is seeing that and being like, oh, I just like to comment. I didn't mean for Donald Trump to make a statement about that.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing because she hasn't commented after made that course, and so we thought that this was okay because Taylor Swift was spotted at the Chiefs game by herself. Yes, so I think you can memorize the outfit, like the full denim, the big boots, star high boots. Usually she was seen with her like kind of posse, Brittany Mahomes and her family. She was always in the same booth as them all the time. Brittany Mahomes was at that game, but in a different booth. So we thought that was like Taylor Swift saying I've cut friendships, so we I'm not friends with this girl. And that's what leads us into the US Open where she publicly embraces Brittany in front of everyone to see and all the cameras and his beautiful high definition shots, so those rumors are put to rest. She's basically saying, I'm still friends with this woman. And it's just kind of unfortunate because up until now we've been constantly talking about and kind of discussing whether or whether or not Taylor Swift will publicly endorse Kamla Harris. Yeah, and I have to say, I'm not invested in US politics and Taylor Swift as separate entities, but I am really invested in it together.
Speaker 3: Well. Yeah, she's an incredibly influential person. Like that's the thing is, like so many times with musicians or actors and that sort of thing, you think, like, oh, should these people who are there to like make art and entertain us, should we be looking to them for like political guidance? And I think sometimes maybe not if they don't comment on it. It's okay, but it is unfortunate for Taylor Swift. Or also fortunate when you look at the fact that she's built this empire for herself, is that she's not just a musician or an actress. She is like one of the most influential people in the world, potentially the most influential person in America. Now, like that sounds like a ridiculous statement, but I'm sure it's true. It is true, and so everything she does matters, and what she thinks and says about politics matters as well, because the thing is, I'm sure a lot of her followers potentially might be thinking, like, I wouldn't vote for Donald Trump, but if she came out and endorsed him, which don't think she would do that, but if the thing is, if she did, she would swing the vote. Like that just is something that would happen, and so it is kind of interesting. I don't think we live in a world where you can say it doesn't matter what she does.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, And what's really sad is that. So firstly, she historically has been very quiet about politics, ye until she released her documentary Miss Americana, where she was like shown like kind of like really emotionally talking to her dad and her business managers about how she just wants to say what she wants to say and how like she's so scared of what will happen to the country if she doesn't say something, and she's so passionate about that, And that's where we saw her kind of confirming that she does lean towards the Democratic Party. Yes, that was confirmed when she publicly endorsed Biden as well when he was running for president. And now we have Kamala Harris, who's a black woman with Indian heritage running for president, and Taylor Swift says nothing, and the closest thing to a public political announcement we have is her hugging Brittany Mahomes, who was very publicly trump.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting because I guess there's a few other things to note. I can just imagine people listening to this episode. There's a few things that they want to say, so I might voice them so we can talk through them. I guess some people would saying, like, the election isn't quite yet, there's a few more months she could still endorse. There's that The other one be saying just because she's hugging her friend doesn't mean that she agrees with her, although a lot of people in America are sort of saying like, now is the time to say to people that if you're not supporting this particular political stance, and you're supporting someone who's going to potentially put my life in danger, then we actually can't be friends. So it's become that too but I'm sure a lot of people would say, is she really just not going to be friends with Brittany because she's liking some Instagram posts and she shouldn't be seen with her in public? Like that seems like a big leap in one case. I'm not saying I agree with that, but I'm I'm saying, like, I feel like that's what people would be thinking listening to this conversation.
Speaker 2: I think similar to what you said about like she's just friends with her, she doesn't have to believe everything she says.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that could be.
Speaker 2: Said for like if we're in like I guess an Australian political landscape, yeah, where it's like liberal labor, like completely opposite parties, but one is not completely extreme. I think the Donald Trump Republican is completely extreme. She's not just a Republican. She's supporting Trump, which are two completely different things in my point of view. Some of the what we say and what the posts that she like, like mass deportation that could like genuinely affect people's lives, Like people could literally be taken up and pushed overseas back to quote unquote where they came from. It's just like kind of scary and what my weird feeling towards this, which I'm trying to analyze because I couldn't really get, was like I wasn't really paying attention when she did the Miss Americana democratically or when she supported Biden. But there's something in me that has been holding on for her to say something about Carla Harris because I love Taylor Swift. I love her music. I listen like always on my Spotify top five and I think with Kamala Harris being a black woman person of color, there's something in me that's like, if Taylor Swift it publicly endorses Karmla, there's something in me that will just immediately relax. Yeah, there's something in me that right now feels like and I struggle saying this out loud because I know we have swiftiers who are listening, but there's something in me right now that says that Taylor Swift is not for all women. Yeah, and one of those women is me. And then once she like endorses Kamla Harris, I feel accepted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. One hundred percent. I think that's a really fair thing to say. And I think that you can hold two things at once, And you can like Taylor Swift's music and think she's a great performer, but also feel like she has this platform and it doesn't feel like she is using it to speak to all of her fans equally. And that's something that I've always thought about Taylor Sif too, is that it's also hard because I don't expect her to speak on everything, but I do feel that a lot of the things that she does speak on relate back to her in a strong way in terms of, like this person said that I couldn't do this, so I prove them wrong and that's a win for all women, Or like this person tried to take this money away from me, so I did this and that's a win for all of it. And those are very empowering messages, but it's always very much centered on her and her position, and.
Speaker 2: It's not for all women. It's for a very specific type of women. And we always say she's a smart person, she's brilliant. If she's seen doing something, it's because she wants to be seen. So the fact that she wanted to be seen embracing Brittany Mahomes, I think just says something completely different to what I originally thought about her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I think that's a really important point. And like I said, I don't think it can be boiled down to like calling Taylor sitch out or hating her, like literally, no one's saying that. It's literally having an important conversation about a woman of extreme influence and what her role the next few months is going to be. And like you say, yes, it's the American election, We're not there and we don't vote in it, but it does have a far reaching effect for all her fans across the world in terms of like her behavior and who she endorses.
Speaker 2: So there were a lot of more photos from that us open, not all of it was doom and glim. We did do an episode yesterday on Taylor and Travis and their relationship and our theories behind that. We will link that in our show notes. Spiller's I thought I jump in again after reading Taylor's endorsement post, since I did talk so strongly about how this is the one thing I've been holding out for so earlier. Today she did post on Instagram a photo of her and one of her beautiful cats, and she posted this straight after the presidential debate between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris. She talked about how she was made away recently that an AI photo of herself was posted on Donald Trump's Truth social site, looking like that she was endorsing him. She spoke about her fear of AI, and then she did say that I will be casting my vote for Kamala Harris and Tim Walt in the twenty twenty four presidential election. And she talked about encouraging people to do their research before they vote and to register. She also signed it off with Taylor Swift Childless Cat Lady, which I absolutely loved. But I did talk about how I was expecting this kind of sense of relief if she did endorse Karmla Harris in the podcast, and I would say that I do experience that, like I have felt kind of like, oh, finally, like she's done it. Now I can like feel welcomed into this all women club that Taylor Swift says she's four. I did talk about how I felt like when she would make songs and speak on the right of all women, I never felt included in that. And there is a bit of me that does feel included, and that inclusion kind of replaces the ickness of how I felt when I saw those images of her hugging Brittany Mahomes. I do still feel that she could have endorsed Kamla earlier on, similar to how she did with Biden. But yeah, I am actually quite relieved that she has, in the end done this. Thank you so much for listening to the Spool today. We will be back here in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, Lane.