Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, it's Kateline Brooke here. You already know Sally Hepworth. You know her and you love her as the best selling author on the Unleash Couch. She has that Louis Thurroux type curiosity, very funny and sharp observations and brutally honest advice to the others. But what else do you know about her? Well? I was lucky enough to sit down with Sally Hepworth recently on my show No Filter, and it was just amazing, a conversation that was so layered and compelling and honest and peppered with humor. Anyway, it was so good. We had quite a response. She's funny and sharp and so completely Sally, and I think you're going to love it. So here's Sally Hepworth as you know her, but much deeper and maybe even more herself.
Speaker 3: I have the scars and I do feel like I lost a layer of skin. You know, everything was raw, everything I felt things is more beautiful and sadder. You know, is marriage good for women? I've thought about that a lot.
Speaker 2: You know, when someone seems like they've got it all together, hmmm, For instance, best selling author, gorgeous, family, thriving career, beautiful to boot and then you find out they've been quietly rebuilding their life from scratch. Well that is Sally Hepworth. She sold millions of books around the world. She's written a best seller every year since twenty fifteen. But what you might not know is that over the last couple of years, Sally Hepworth's life completely imploded. Today we talk about that divorce, grief, the shit box. Yes you'll find out what that is. We talk about female friendship and falling in love again when you swore you wouldn't. This is a conversation about what it means to let go of the life you thought you wanted and build a new life that actually fits. Sally Hepworth. You of the lemon water, the cleansing lemon water. Welcome to No Filter. Thank you. And here we are both early in the morning.
Speaker 1: After thinking that it was ten am instead of nine.
Speaker 2: Both of us thought that what a miracle that we made. And here we are. But what Okay, you have shared so much of yourself, but kind of in disguise, I think through your car directors, yeah, which have resonated with millions literally millions of people, and you have had this is so remarkable a best seller every year since twenty fifteen. So that's a lot. It's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like a lot when it's going to be the tenth this year. In a couple of months, my book will be care right, And yeah it does. It feels amazing to think back to when I started writing in two thousand and nine, when I was pregnant.
Speaker 2: With my first child. Yeah.
Speaker 3: All I wanted was to get a novel published. Yes, and then oh that's a dream. Yeah, and then the gold post kept moving. Then I wanted to make a career out of being an author, and then I wanted to become a best seller. You know, some people say they didn't dream of that, but I did. I had big dreams.
Speaker 2: And when like, how long had you had those dreams?
Speaker 3: Well, I suppose as soon as I got my foot in the door and I started to get published, you know what might not dream big. I mean, I didn't know that I was going to make it, but you have to kind of aim for something.
Speaker 2: I do always. I do like to say to friends, miracles happen. There's no reason that it can't be. The miracle for you. But the miracle is often hard work. Yeah, that's the miracle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I guess to write a novel, you're doing the hard work, right like everyone who's written one. To get in the game, you have to do the hard work. And then there's the magic of you know, are your books going to resonate? Are people going to buy them? Are they going to in some cases hit at the right time that that's going to become popular. Sometimes that retroactively happens these days, and books take off years after they've come out. I don't know why, but I really do feel so fortunate to be while also allowing that, you know, I've done the work and I do think that I past imposter syndrome.
Speaker 1: I think I'm good at it now. I really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Oh what a good feeling. Yeah. When did that come? Was it as a result of outside affirmation or is it something that comes from inside?
Speaker 1: Great question.
Speaker 3: I suspect probably started to come after a little bit of outside affirmation.
Speaker 2: That does help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to say it was internal.
Speaker 3: I think by the time I wrote my fifth book, I remember that was The Mother in Law.
Speaker 1: Was the book that I kind of.
Speaker 3: You know, broke out as they say, and then each book since then has kind of built on it. And sometime between then and now, I just started to think to myself, when you know, I've written a couple of short stories recently, and I've never written a short story. I mean before I wrote the first one, and I remember Amazon approaching me to write it, and I said, yeah, okay, I'll do it.
Speaker 1: And then I hung and I immediately.
Speaker 3: Googled how to write a short story because I thought, yeah, I can do it. Well, of course I can do it, and that snuck up on me because I didn't always feel that way.
Speaker 2: Of course, the mother in Law was a really interesting one because it showed that you have a capacity which I think you always have to do as a writer. It showed you have a real capacity to see the other side of someone, and you do that with all of your characters obviously, but that was a really seminal one because I think it's so hot, Yeah, isn't it? Sticky? A mother in law? And yet you always were you're handling of the concept, and even in your conversations around it, were very understanding of what it means to be a mother in law.
Speaker 3: I hope, so That's always been the interesting part of writing for me is there are books, I assume that have been written about awful mothers in law, and movies and monsters in law and jokes and jokes, and so what was interesting to me about tackling it was to, you know, to reverse engineer or to look at the other side and what if you know mothers in law aren't awful, because they're not. I mean, my mum is a mother in law and she's beautiful. I adore her.
Speaker 2: I also know that she irritates my sisters a lot sometimes. Well, yes, there's always that that kind of tension, there's that rab A point that you've made is that a mother in law is in a unique position because she loves the same man more woman, daughter or son, but has no say in it. The people that are trust together. But I'm curious, particularly about your understanding of human nature, which I believe to be immense well just partly through your research on every character and situation, and you have had your characters often have confronted every type of rupture you know. And now this is what I'm curious about, because you've encountered that own rupture yourself, and you've changed your life drastically since the last time you were on no filter with me the last two times year on. How has that been You're now divorced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, all of these experiences, they become a part of you, and so they leak out onto the page, I think. But I will say that every my books in a way have followed the trajectory of things that I've gone through, motherhood, you know, even not being able to get pregnant and all of those things. And now with the divorce, I think that's been the most significant thing that's happened to me. I mean, and I say this acknowledging that this makes me very lucky, but it's the most significant thing that's happened to me in my life.
Speaker 2: The most difficult thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's just coming up to two years ago. Oh sorry, it's just gone over two years since we separated. And I was thinking about it, knowing that we were going to talk about it today, and I was thinking, am I, How am.
Speaker 2: I about that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Am I over it? Am I?
Speaker 2: And I'm not.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's I wonder if it'll be one of those things like the grief of death, that it changes, but it's always with you. Yeah, I wonder. I mean, I don't know. And as you say, I'm so curious about people. I'm curious about you know, the last two years marriage, you know, I've been looking around at marriages and thinking what makes a marriage work, what makes them fail, what makes people so angry after they get divorced, what makes people nasty?
Speaker 1: What makes a good divorce?
Speaker 2: And how is your divorce? By the way, look a little bit of everything, I guess along the way, but if overall, yeah, look what you know.
Speaker 3: The thing that I have learned from this is that whenever someone would get divorced in my life, prior to it being me, I used to want to know what happened. And when I asked that question, I expected the answer to be a sentence or two sentences, and something that attributed blame.
Speaker 1: To one person. There was a victim and a perpetrator.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I wanted to hear he had an affair or she was crazy, which can't yes, and so you immediately know that's what happened. And what I've discovered since then, and in my own case this is true. I mean, you might be able to, for the sake of conversation, boil it down to one or two things. But ultimately you could write a book. It's not one or two sentences. You could write a book, and maybe I will.
Speaker 2: Well, it is. It is fascinating, and because it's such a common experience and for it to be so traumatic, yes, and so common and yet not really, I don't think it's really given the full weight that it deserves, the significance in a person's life.
Speaker 3: I agree strongly, and in fact, look, I don't know if my experience is true of everyone, and of course it's not.
Speaker 1: Everyone has a different experiences.
Speaker 2: But I was so.
Speaker 1: Knocked to my ass from it, and.
Speaker 3: Even myself, if I heard someone was divorced before it happened to me, I would have said, oh, that's a shame.
Speaker 1: It certainly wasn't par with.
Speaker 3: You know, other terrible things that happen to people, like a disease, like an that's.
Speaker 2: A terrible thing. And it is kind of a death. Yeah, it's a death of I mean all those things that lead you to get married in the first place. Yes, the hope, the love, the starry eyed whatever it was. It's the antithesis of that. So it is in some ways.
Speaker 3: That it is and on top of all that, I mean, that is the big part. And then on top of that, there's the life up people. You know that there's worries about financial worries, there's emotional concerns for the children.
Speaker 2: Children, there's you know, I mean that.
Speaker 3: Part is so hard that you're going through something so difficult, and yet you have to do the best parenting of your life, you know, in order to hopefully get your children.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you do that? Because like, you've got three children, You've got two teenagers and an eight year old, I do I mean, I like to say that children are resilient. I think that underestimates often the impact of major emotional shifts for children. I think we like to say they're resilient because it makes it easier for us to kind of push through what we have to push through with. I don't even think that they're resilient. What they are is adaptable and good at hiding stuff that they might be feeling because they're all antenna yes.
Speaker 1: Or showing it in different way.
Speaker 3: I mean, my daughter, my youngest was six at the time, and so I saw her dealing with it in ways that were not you know, she wasn't expressing it directly, but she was having a lot of trouble with you know, nightmares and you know, just behavioral stuff, whereas my older too and have my older too when you're a divergent and so that had its own host of things.
Speaker 2: Did they process it differently? Yeah? Yeah, how could you like? In what way?
Speaker 3: Well, even between the two of them, my son and my daughter, they prosed it, sessed it differently. My son didn't talk about it at all. In fact, it's funny when we told him, we said, have you got any questions? And he we told him alone, just because of the world that we told the girls separately, and we went through it and he said, if you got any questions, and he said, where will the dog be living?
Speaker 2: Actually a very good question, yes, and so where does the dog we live?
Speaker 3: We have a divorced dog who shared We share custody, so the dog goes with the kids, which was something that they wanted and it has worked really well. The other thing that worked well in the early days is that we did birds nest parenting.
Speaker 2: The Swedish is that the Swedish model Danish something.
Speaker 3: Everything good comes from. Okay, So because we had the family home, as a lot of people do. It was going to take time to sell. So we got a a little apartment not far away, and we would do week on and week off. One of us would would leave and go to the apartment and the other one would stay in the.
Speaker 2: House with So the idea is that children are not they stay routed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, and that you know, looking back, that was horrible for us or horrible for me. It was amazing for the kids. And I would do it again for the kids. And what why was that horrible for you? Like just the the packing up of your life every.
Speaker 2: Friday, which is normally what the kids have to do. Yes, And that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 3: It really gave me such and that's one of the best things from it, such an understanding of what they have to go through, and we delayed that by a year by by.
Speaker 1: Us doing it.
Speaker 3: It's made me so much more sympathetic, so much more likely to you know, if they've forgotten their something.
Speaker 2: I will be in the car, you know, driving it off to school, which you know how it feels. Yeah, Hey, who was it for? Do you think in that nesting bird nesting time? Who was more adaptable with that? Obviously it was hard for you, how is Christian your husband with it?
Speaker 1: I also also I think not great.
Speaker 3: It's a strange thing as well because the apartment that we had was very much like an airbn but it didn't feel like home.
Speaker 2: No, and because it didn't really belong to either of you. No. Yes.
Speaker 3: And it's also I have to say, it's a privilege to be able to afford to have an it was a small apartment, but not everyone has the ability to know.
Speaker 2: That's right to do that. The other thing about divorce divorce is expensive.
Speaker 3: Is expensive, and there's an uncertain period which is just really difficult, and sharing space with that person is so difficult. And I found that really really hard.
Speaker 2: It's almost like in a way that when you're navigating the divorce with someone and there are children involved, so you have to be very mind full of that that in a way you have to work together so intensely. Do you at some point think why are we getting divorced if we can actually manage a divorce?
Speaker 3: Look, I think the thing that happened with us, which I see happening with so many people, is that you start I started off with a desire to do everything perfectly. You know, this thing of Okay, this our life's going to change. The children's life is going to change. I read all the books you know on children, and I quickly realized that that wasn't going to work. That we weren't going to be working together like that Christian and I and that took some adjusting. And it's actually the thing that when I look back, I wish I had realized earlier that we're not married anymore, and so we don't necessarily we're not going to be on the same page always in an ideal world.
Speaker 1: Co parenting is wonderful.
Speaker 3: I now have a lot of divorced friend I've sought out divorced people because I'm so traumatized.
Speaker 2: I've got a divorced.
Speaker 3: Group of women that we call ourselves the Golden Girls, and we share information. And in every case, even when they've come to the other side and now can co parent, there's a part in the middle that we call the mean part.
Speaker 1: And it helped me to call it.
Speaker 3: That because it was a part something that had a beginning and an end, and it wasn't personal, and it wasn't you know.
Speaker 1: And I think every divorce has a mean part.
Speaker 2: I agree, and with girlfriends in money even I ended a relationship after nine years and we weren't married, but we were embedded. And particularly in my experience, the mean part often comes around money, yep. And it doesn't matter if you're breaking up with the nicest guy in the world. There's something about money suddenly that really brings out that e.
Speaker 3: But it's not even this is my thing, because I think about these things a lot. I think it is security, you know, at which money represents a lot of security.
Speaker 2: I think it's suit freedom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and fear, you know, you don't know, and you go from being even if you have plenty of money, you're suddenly half You've got half as much or whatever that looks like.
Speaker 1: And that's scary.
Speaker 3: And if you're you know, I'm in my mid forties Christians fifty and so that is a very real fear all of a sudden, you know, am I prepared for retirement or am I?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And I was in the really lucky position that I've never stepped out of work. I earn a good income.
Speaker 2: The best seller every year since twenty fifteen, which.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean that sounds wonderful. It's still you know, you look at the numbers and I've got three kid course, and you go. But I definitely, I definitely was happy to you know, to keep things nice. I was like, yep, you know, I wasn't fighting. But I also think that you can do everything right and it can still be.
Speaker 2: Hard, of course, and maybe it has to be. Maybe it does maybe to you know, cleave apart what God put together, do you know what I mean? Or whatever the saying is, maybe it has to have that component to it.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean, I'm sure there are people who've got some whimsical, wonderful divorce, but then you know, why are they getting divorced?
Speaker 2: Are there any in your extended group of girlfriends?
Speaker 3: Now there's a few, you know, sort of five years plus down the tracks that now are working well together.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I had to and look, I actually this was the best thing I ever did. I had to accept that I was in charge of what happened in my house and Christian was in charge of what happened in his house. And it's the most unknow natural thing when you are a parent, even to you know, not have your kids with you half the time, but to let go of things that are really important in your life, like this is what time they go to bed. Things you're used to having control over this, This is what they eat, this is they shower. There are so many things that you have to that kind of stuff, bedtime, showering, whatever. I felt so much better when I stopped, and you know, you keep it to the important things, and there weren't any of those, you know, like they were alive and looked after well by their dad. And suddenly I unclenched, you know, And that too, is a really important thing to sort of letting go of the marriage, that you do kind of have to understand that when you're married, you work together as a team. Of course you should, and now I think we're much better at teamwork. But that was a bit of a process too, of just going well, you know, when not controlling. You know, we can't control each other anymore. Maybe I look a lot too it my part.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't like that idea that you know, he's a narcissist, she's crazy. Everyone thinks their X is crazy or a narcissist. I don't think that. I see he does.
Speaker 2: He thinks I'm crazy. I think that.
Speaker 3: I think that both of us made mistakes, and especially in the early days, I was much more interested in finding out what I what my part was, because that's the only part I comes back to control. I can't control why he's doing stuff that I don't agree with or why, and it's not my business anymore, only in so far as it affects my children. My role is to look at me, to heal and to hopefully not bring that kind of those difficulties into my life with my children.
Speaker 2: After the break Sally unpacks the part she played in the breakdown of her marriage. What do you think the role was that you played.
Speaker 1: I think that the let me step back.
Speaker 3: I always wanted to be married, you know, I remember that from a youngish age.
Speaker 2: Oh that's interesting that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I liked the idea of having a partner.
Speaker 2: My brother's twins. I wonder if that had something to do with it younger or older.
Speaker 3: Older brothers and Mum said, when we were little, I used to say, where's my other one? You know, like there was something missing. And I don't know, like maybe I'm reading too deeply into it, but I loved the idea of having a partner for life. I mean, come back to it, but I have so many partners for life in my girlfriends and that's the sort of full circle that I've come to.
Speaker 2: But I was.
Speaker 3: Looking for that, and I had an idea of what my life was going to look like, and it was going to be a partner, it was going to be kids, you know, maybe some travel career for me, career. You know. I had those kind of fairly maybe normalish, you know, traditional ideas. And I do wonder now if I was really holding on to something idyllic that maybe couldn't match up to what real life looked like. And when things did get tough, which they did, you know, several times through the marriage, as they always do, I found that really difficult. I found the I just didn't understand why it wasn't looking like the picture in my mind of what it should be like. And disagreements I found really hard. I wouldn't think, oh, we're disagreeing about this. I would think, oh, my god, a relationship. I've married the wrong person. This is terrible. I really see that now, and I'm in another relationship now, and that's something that I've really changed. And you know, I see how communication clear, communication and not. Also, I think keeping the peace was something that was really important to me in because I wanted I wanted harmony and happiness, and I think my mum was also a real peacekeeper in our family.
Speaker 2: Which is an interesting thing because a peacekeepers beautiful thing, but a peacekeeper can also be.
Speaker 1: You can breed resentment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, because you're subjugating every natural instinct to just preserve this piece on behalf of who of a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it was it was often, you know, I was holding things in that that should have come out.
Speaker 1: I think my career played a role.
Speaker 3: And again I don't think it's as simplistic as saying. And a lot of people will say, do you think that men can't handle a woman's success or versions of that, and I always think, I don't know if it's that simple, as simple as that. I know Christian was quite supportive of me doing well and wanted that It's maybe to do with purpose and drive. I think that then, you know, I was at home with the kids early in our relationship, and I was writing as well.
Speaker 2: And then you swapped and he was.
Speaker 1: He was the state home parent, right, which.
Speaker 2: My husband also was for a long time. Right. So I'm very curious about this dynamic. It's an interesting one. Firstly, there's the external to us. It made sense and at the time I was doing breakfast radio and it made sense for us rather than outsourcing to someone. But there is something about it externally the world is do you do do other?
Speaker 3: Mean?
Speaker 2: Even? Yeah, Yeah, it's weird, isn't it. It is so it's a strange thing. It takes an exceptional man to take on that role. Yeah. In my case, my husband, at some point we could tell he was done with it. Yeah, he was just done with it, I mean fair enough. Yes, And we had four under six and that was a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I and we both because I was not home, I was working. We went from Christian had the main job as the earner when we were first together.
Speaker 2: Right, what was his career an accountant, right, you know?
Speaker 1: And he was very good at that success.
Speaker 3: I went moved over to Canada together because he was sent over there, and then we had the babies, and then I was at home with them, and then I was also writing, and then we were both working and we had the kids in a combination of childcare. I had some flexibility. I found it difficult. I still felt like I was carrying the mental load though, and together with working, I was burnt out. So also not my best yo, know you were No, No, you don't know at the time, do you.
Speaker 1: Well, though I knew something.
Speaker 3: I've got this memory of being on tour in America and.
Speaker 2: Which book was this? Which give me an era? I think it worth the era. I think it was The Soul Mage right, okay.
Speaker 3: Because it was right after Mum and Mia came out with their podcast. But are you happy that Claire Stevens was hosting? And I saw it and I thought I looked at it on my phone because I would listen to all the Australian podcasts while I was there, just to keep on top, and I thought, no, when it's but are you happy, I've got nuh, And it just dropped in Yeah. And again it wasn't that moment. There was a series of moments and things that happened that led to it. But that was the first time I thought, huh, because objectively everything was going so well, you know, and my career was was, you know, wonderful, and my kid and the interesting thing to jump forward a little bit is that once my marriage ended and I got through, you know, the kind of early part of the pain of that one thing that I guess I felt quite good about was that my life was actually everything in my life was wonderful. I've got this beautiful group of girlfriends that we've been friends since we were ten, and this is separate.
Speaker 2: To the Golden Girls. Some crossover.
Speaker 3: There is some crossover in fact, because as soon as I became divorced, I didn't really know anyone who was divorced, and so I sought out, Yeah it is, isn't it?
Speaker 2: And that's I.
Speaker 3: Guess maybe part of what was it? Part of what made it hard for me. I don't know one element. One of the Golden Girls was my friend's older sister, and so I nabbed her, and then a friend of hers, and then one friend of mine, and then there was a girl I went to school with who has heard she got to and I hadn't spoken to her for years and years and years, and as soon as I heard she got divorced, I messaged her and said, I just wanted to say that if you're not okay, I know we haven't spoken and this might be really presumptuous, I'm happy to come and talk to you.
Speaker 1: We can have a coffee.
Speaker 3: I just felt like I wanted to acknowledge since I'd gone through it, how awful it was, and so together we were started The Golden Girl, which is mostly now memes about being a single parent, which is so funny, and sometimes it's how do I deal with this? To do with the children, how do I deal with We developed something which we call the ship box from The Golden Girls, and the ship box is an actual box, physical box that the kids put their shit in, not their like their stuff that goes to.
Speaker 1: Their dad's house.
Speaker 3: I was like, how do you and someone said, we have a ship box, and so they put it. It's just a box that goes inside the door. And the day that they're going to their dad's, how do you say to the kids, put your stuff in the ship box?
Speaker 2: And they put it in, and then that gets taken to their We've forgotten the ship and they'll say, I'll say, where's your shoes? It's they're in the shipbox. How big is the ship box? Like a laundry basket.
Speaker 3: It's so those kind of wondrous things basicle come out of the Golden Girls. But to link back, I guess I realized, Okay, my marriage has ended, but I've got these girlfriends who really had stepped up for me in a way that you know, my first night in the apartment after we broke up, they all came and slept over. You know. One of them arrived with a box of tools. You know, they just use the tools girlfriends of mine who got drilled.
Speaker 2: And then there comes a certain sort of pride in I can fix your rod, I know, and it is very satisfying.
Speaker 3: But it's extraordinary the things that you can do that you just didn't do in.
Speaker 2: A traditional sort of compartmentalization of what needs to be done in it. In the family life.
Speaker 3: I can clean I have a pool at the house that I'm renting at the moment, I can clean the pool. I always thought that pools were some like foreign thing that only men could understand. And you know, because they've got chemicals, and it's always a pool boy.
Speaker 2: The pool boy. It's always a poor boy. It's never a poor boy.
Speaker 1: Maybe one day fingers crossed one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, it's interesting because I think you said that marriage is maybe not good for women.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh, look, this has been a two year deep dive into my.
Speaker 2: Two years is not long, though you've really and compressed it or had experienced a lot in that two years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like I say, I don't think I'm over it and over It's a funny thing. I am in a new relationship and I'm very happy. It's not that I'm not over him. I'm I'm happy. I feel like I, you know, I have a great life. I have my career, I have my girlfriends, I have my family, I have my children. Life is so wonderful. I have the scars, and I do feel like I lost a layer of skin. You know, everything was raw. Everything I felt things is more beauty, full and sadder and so my you know, is marriage good for women? I've thought about that a lot. And I also looked around in the early days at relationships and thought whose marriage would I want, you know, looking at my friends, looking at my parents, looking at and I did find some there were some relationships that I thought I wanted. They weren't the majority, like I had to seek them out. Acknowledging that you never know what truly is gone on in someone else's real you know.
Speaker 2: That reminds me of a girlfriend of mine who had a brutal divorce. She said one of the worst things that she experienced was that when friends would hear she was getting divorced. They were like they started talking about how much they hated their husbands, and she said it was just like suddenly they felt like they had an outleaish to say, yeah, permission. And she said at that period it was the worst thing because what she actually needed was to believe in romantic love, yeah, not to have everyone go I wish I was you. And as she said, also she hadn't done anything magical. She was going through something really difficult. Yeah, And so they also had the capacity to She's like, why are you telling me this and not addressing it with the person that you're so happy to slag off to me? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I see that a lot.
Speaker 3: I see a lot of unhappy women in relationships and presumably unhappy men.
Speaker 1: It's just that I spend more time with women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I do wonder if this whole idea.
Speaker 1: Of marriage, like it makes me think, what.
Speaker 3: In an ideal world, if you're unhappy, you could move on without this whole But you look at it and think, oh, I can't. I mean in that time where I was burnt out and everything and I knew and there were a few things that made me.
Speaker 1: Go Okay, this, this is it, this is.
Speaker 2: The end for you or yeah, for the relationship.
Speaker 3: For the relationship, but that I couldn't look away anymore. But I think I really understand why if you're not pushed to that point, why you might go it's too I can't go through that because it's so hard. There is happiness on the other side, but there's also there's also you are changed.
Speaker 2: I'm changed in the nature of a relationship though a lot a long term. How long were you married sixteen sixteen years to get to I'm twenty one, twenty marriage congratulations? Sometimes you knows well sometimes everyone yeah, correct. So part of what I imagine is one of the things that you have to work out for yourself is in any long term relationship, it will have peaks and it will have ebbs. And so you know that you've worked through ebbs before, how do you know that it's not an ebb and that it's something that you can't that you're not going to then be able to surf the next wave onto the beach with.
Speaker 1: It's when they are not interested in working with you.
Speaker 2: To fix it right for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: Whatever reason, and when you feel like you have tried everything in your power, and it's except this the way that it is, or try something else, and it's your last alternative.
Speaker 1: That's what it was for me.
Speaker 3: Every relationship is different and they have different reasons. It might be, I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: The feelings are the same, aren't they. The circumstances might be. Whoever said some writer, one of those who was it that said every happy family resembles each other, but every unhappy family is uniquely unhappy? Who was that?
Speaker 3: Someone?
Speaker 2: Clear? But I do often think about that because there's there's just a pataina of happiness that you know, you might live in different circumstances or whatever, but happy is happy. Yeah, but unhappiness has so many flavors and textures, each more gruesome than the last. Yeah, they do.
Speaker 3: And yeah, look, it's funny because I came out of that experience that the divorce and I and maybe this makes me very basic, and maybe everyone does this, but I certainly wasn't thinking that I was going to repartner.
Speaker 2: I you were like, I'm not doing that again.
Speaker 3: And even without not from a bitter place, it was almost the opposite. It was from a place of I'm so content and I heard I've heard a lot of women say that they have been lonely after they've got divorced or they've had these certain difficulties. I didn't feel that I was never lonely. I was surrounded by love. I mean, which is just so bet and it's funny. I would say I was lucky. And I remember one of my friends saying, because I said, I've got an army of support, and my friends said to me, you're not lucky. You've got an army because you've fought in the battalion.
Speaker 2: You know, you fought for us, and where are you for you?
Speaker 1: And I thought that's nice.
Speaker 2: Next, Sally rethinks what love really looks like thanks to the women who carried her through heartbreak. I think that when a relationship is failing and it's one that you're really committed to, you teen to try and put res sources into it to the exclusion of other relationships. So I think sometimes people pop out like a mere cat to a very bleak savannah. Yep.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I did have that difficulty, which was to do with all of the horrible stuff about ending a relationship, but my life outside of that, I thought, well, this is good. I actually have got quite a good landscape, and I was thinking more and more that why is romantic love the pinnacle? I have got these women in my life, I mean so many, but particularly the ones that I've been friends with since I was ten.
Speaker 1: They're my life partners. They're the ones.
Speaker 3: Who have been with me before any of us met our partners. They are with me after partners. They've been through me, with me, you know, through birth, and we've all been together. Recently, one of those friends, her father died, and I remember I went up with her when she did the eulogy and we looked back and I saw all of our girlfriends were in the front row, and I thought, it's something moved me about it. I thought, usually, you know, you see the family and the parents and whatever, and no, that was us, that was and that made complete sense to me.
Speaker 2: Your significant ones.
Speaker 3: They were We've always been a family. And even if there was an is and there now is a romantic love again. My life partner partners are those women.
Speaker 2: And are there any men in that number?
Speaker 1: Not in that I have got male friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have those relationships change?
Speaker 3: Well, one of my best male friends has been divorced twice.
Speaker 2: Okay, he was in.
Speaker 3: The Golden girls for a little while, but then he couldn't handle it because there were all these memes about how we didn't like men. So I also my brothers were incredibly closed and they were huge. What's to me throughout that I'm not a hater of men in any way?
Speaker 1: I love men.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just always it seems, you know, maybe it's our times, or maybe it's been ever thus Really I don't know, but there's such a gold mine the female friends. Yeah, and it doesn't seem to be the same crossover with me. Yeah, I mean, I mean they're nourishing in a different way. They are, and it's good. I do believe very much in Yin and yang, and I'm not fully on board with women. We're fantastic. We're fantastic and men are fact, which seems to be some kind of very reviling in very much, very much. And I'm like, when did we start to think we were so perfect? It's true, it's not helpful. And I, by the way, I do think that about myself. That's how I recognize it that you have to pull yourself up and go hang on a minute, Yeah, why am I always trying to knock the top off this scab as though, yeah I'm the dermatologist. I'm not the dermatolic.
Speaker 3: We're the dermatologists of our own lives. Well we are, and it's good to somebody healing.
Speaker 1: Someone's got to be healed. The ointment, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Made me write.
Speaker 3: My thoughts on men are separate from my thoughts about romantic love. I think that is what has changed for me, as romantic love being the relationship to end all relationships, the one who you know, you fill out on your paperwork, the one who you know when you die. They're the chief mourner, you know, all of those things.
Speaker 2: That notebook yep, the crying in the rain. Romantic love.
Speaker 3: You can have that, right like I've got the most beautiful, beautiful man. That that came out of thinking I was never going to meet anyone. I wasn't looking for anyone. I was you know, my friends were all pressuring me to go on Tinder or bumble or whatever it was. No, I don't want, you know, I'm happy. And then I met this in real life.
Speaker 2: How in real life, because that does not happen now, not even in novels. Yeah I know, Well, so this is a good story.
Speaker 3: So I actually did have one date before I met Dan, who's my partner. I had one date that was from whatever the app was. That was when i'd been away on with all my girlfriends. We go away to Nusagh every year and we have a girl's trip, and they were it was for them, you know how you married friends are just desperate for you know, there's a.
Speaker 1: Single go on there and there.
Speaker 2: They know more of.
Speaker 3: Up and I've been swiping the wrong way and I'm looking at some guy called Shane with no teeth that I've.
Speaker 1: Just you know.
Speaker 3: And I had one date and it actually it went quite well. I mean it was not I wasn't looking for a relationship, but it was.
Speaker 1: He was a gentleman. It was you know, we had a nice Did you do it in NUSA? No, they set it up for winter.
Speaker 3: So I came back from NUSA the next night, went out a night date. It was like six o'clock for a drink. It's all changed since our days. Yes, so nervous. He also didn't live in Melbourne, which I thought was better because I didn't you know, I just wanted to have a nice time and I don't know what I didn't think I wanted. Okay, great question, I wore jeans and a like nice sparkly ballet flat and a black I was.
Speaker 1: Wearing a white top and all the girls are like, no, you've got to wear this.
Speaker 2: It has been a very heavily workshop.
Speaker 3: And a I think I had on a leather jacket or something like that. I felt very unlike me. It wasn't the kind.
Speaker 2: Of thing, almost like you'd put on a costume, yes, which is the Sally goes on a day costures in her forties look. And it was.
Speaker 3: He was so lovely. He was really handsome and made me feel great. And I went away from it thinking that was really nice. I don't know if I'd do it again. So then I was in getting my boatox and it was in there and my lady was doing her botox and I was telling her about it, and you know, they're like hairdresses.
Speaker 2: She's like, tell me more.
Speaker 3: And then she said, you know what, I've got a friend who's been separated recently and he's gorgeous and you should meet him. And I was like, oh, I don't know. And then she said can I give him your number? And I said all right, And then he messaged me.
Speaker 4: Oh I know, And you know What was funny is that he he said, so he lived away, lived in on the Gold Coast, but he was from Melbourne originally.
Speaker 1: And he said, I'm going to be in Melbourne this week. Do you want to have dinner? And I said yes? And I was thinking, King, I don't know if I will or not, like I was very on the fence.
Speaker 3: And on the day I thought, oh, I don't know if I'm going to go, and but I just at the last night I thought, yeah, I'll go.
Speaker 1: And it's funny.
Speaker 3: I found out later that he'd just flown down for the day, like imagine.
Speaker 2: And look it, he flew down just for the day. God love him. Oh that's amazing. What was his hunch, Well, he said.
Speaker 3: That he had heard about me from this friend and his cyberstalked me and thought that I looked nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that's amazing. And it wasn't you know, it wasn't sparks.
Speaker 3: It was just you seem like a really nice person, and I really I'd like to get to know you more like that really kind of mature and and then it grew over. I think by date three, I was thinking, yeah, this is I'm getting a bit swept off.
Speaker 2: How was the geography. He's moved back to Melbourne. Oh okay, after how many dates?
Speaker 3: Well, no, it was about nine months, and so there was a nice period of us going back and forth. But he worked, he had worked in Melbourne, so he'd becoming regular anyway. And it was lovely and I I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: I'm so different in this relationship. It's amazing. Way I am the poor.
Speaker 3: Thing, because you know, I now I do not let one thing go that annoys me.
Speaker 2: Ah right, okay, so the peacekeepers, I just now to have a chat all the time.
Speaker 3: Now you know the thing that you did, I don't like that, right, And I encourage him to do that too, and he's so good about like what I love. I think the most masculine trait that exists is for you to give them feedback and for them to say, oh, okay, ah, thank you for telling me that you know, and not being threatened at all or defensive or you know. I just think that's so so you're so sure of yourself and secure to be able to to.
Speaker 1: Take that on board and not feel emasculated, or.
Speaker 2: Just to actually have a curiosity.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I realized that's all I need. I don't even need them to immediately change. It's not that they won't do it again. It's that they've said, you're giving you know, you're telling me what you want, and I want to know that you know, I'm not. I want to know what makes you happy. I want to I hear you, I see you. I want to work that kind of softens you. Yes, all you need, I think, is to know that someone wants that for you, that they're in it for you as well. And it's not just that that's been really healing for me because I am like that, like I will I have.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of.
Speaker 3: Faults, but I really if someone says something or if I do the wrong thing, I will say I'm so sorry, you know, mea culpa and I don't feel threatened by that. And so when people do get defensive, and that was one of the problems in my marriage is that you don't get anywhere you know you you know, I'm trying to tell you that I feel this way. Well, I don't do that, and by the way, it's you know, then it goes nowhere and you just park it and it continues to simmer. Whereas I feel like we have really in the new relationship, We've really got to know each other and find our stride and our own rhythm together because we do listen and and you know, and work together.
Speaker 2: We want it, But you don't live together, No, and you won't. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Look, I always say I'll never do something, and then you know, five minutes later, I think. What's really important to me now is that I have my three kids.
Speaker 1: I've got my own house.
Speaker 3: I want them to have their house that is just Mum's, you know, not even house, it's their house. I don't want Mum and Dan's house or you know. I don't know what's going to happen at Christian's house. But I want them to have a space that's theirs. And they don't need any more people. They don't need to be blending families or to I just don't want that.
Speaker 2: Take on some other emotional load.
Speaker 1: I don't want that for them.
Speaker 3: And so maybe there's a time in the future where they've gone and who knows, you know, I'm really happy in this.
Speaker 2: How do you think your writings changed now?
Speaker 1: Some writers said once, I don't know who it is. Obviously we know the sayings. We don't know the writer.
Speaker 3: But they said, these characters are a third someone you know, a third made up and a third yourself. And while I don't necessarily, what I think is myself is the narrative that comes on the page. It's not necessarily a character or a thing, but it's the wisdom that I'm searching for in that book. Yes, and I have a new book coming out later this year. It's called Mad Maybe.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've read Mad Maybe part way through with Maybe, which is so different than anything that you've done. I think, so we'll just I love having a character who's in her eighties. I find that, yeah, just amazing, but also that we get to see her in her youth. It's really interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I haven't had a lot of people read it yet, so it's been I love hearing.
Speaker 2: In the Yeah, in the early it's a like a binder. Oh they sent your boundary, Yeah, I've got Yeah, I don't know what that's.
Speaker 1: Well, that's even different from an advanced reader copy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I've seen the cover online and I'm like, oh, that's that's how it's going to look.
Speaker 3: Well, I think so the big thing that's come out of my life experience is that book In its essence, And it's funny because you read the blurb and it's about an eighty one year old curmudgeonly you know, I had so much joy writing that character who finds her neighbor dead and no one suspects anything until they find out that she, in fact was not a serial killer, like was convicted of murders when she was fifteen years old, and then we go back in time to find that out. But the book, Unlikely as it seems, is about friendship, and that comes, of course off the heels of my These last two years have been about friendship for me, so much hurt and everything, but the way that friends can save you. And this book what I wanted to explore was can one friend save you? Is that enough? And what if you don't have one friend? And what happens to you then?
Speaker 2: And so I don't. It's funny because she's been the sort of because she's so prickly and combative. It's almost like she's wanted to keep the world at bay. But she's also you can't help but love her good.
Speaker 3: Well, she's vulnerable, like even the people that want to keep the world at bay, they're probably the most vulnerable there's a reason that you do that. As humans, we want to connect and yeah, like there is a kind of hope, a layered story about that, and all of that comes from my experience over the last couple of years and the importance that friendship has. And it's dedicated to my best friend Sash, who has just been diagnosed for the second time with triple negative breast cancer. She's going through treatment at the moment again. You know, it's been so difficult. But the thing, and she talk about it all the time is I've got my girls, you know, I've got and we just know what to do and we just rally and we support and we'll get her through it. And there is the it's so horrible and it's so difficult for her, you know, it's so difficult to watch her go through that. But at the same time, and this is what I felt about my divorce, there's this beautifulness of it, of the way that we just move around each other at these difficult times, and that's the stuff that it just moves me in a way that I don't think any I don't know, like, I don't know why that love doesn't have that same company.
Speaker 2: My girlfriend of mine had breast cats last year before last, and it does. What it makes you do is you you can't hold anything back, No, because it's a currency. You've just got to spend. Yeah, and sometimes the watching everyone bring it is, like you said, just beautiful, cruel but beautiful. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always think, look to the helpers.
Speaker 3: You know. Another one I don't know who said that.
Speaker 2: Someone did say that, look to the helper. Who was it? It was someone that was not a writer. I think that was like a Michelle ob like that. She always says the good things.
Speaker 3: But yeah, oh I don't have it. No, I'm fine. That's what friendship is. It's the hard and it's the beautiful. And I don't know anyone who's you know, I'm forty five and I don't know any forty five year olds that haven't been through something really difficult. And we know more difficult stuff's going to come, you know, hopefully, because that means we're alive, and that's more difficult things.
Speaker 2: I always say that in yoga class. I'm always like, yeah, because there are it is if you're about discomfort, yes, yes, it's about discomfort. And so they'll often say the temporary discomfort in the in this class or in the practice of yoga, helps you take on the discomforts that are coming for you in life. I've always I can't wait, but it is true.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I heard a similar saying, which was, you know, it was something to do with waves. So it's you know, you stand in the water in the ocean and the waves come. You know, hopefully you get a gap between them, but your role is to learn how to swim, because you know the next one is coming. You know, you can't just get bold, you know, if you do, just get bold over. But if you learn to swim, then that each time you learn a bit more than you're going to be ready for the ones that are coming.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's very interesting because as that is, I like that. Sometimes I think that we don't allow ourselves or we don't emphasize enough how much agency we play in our own lives, or how much opportunity there is given. As you said earlier, like it's a privilege to be able to even think like that, really, because some people are just bowled over by waves and can't even get back on their knees. But you've got to teach yourself to swim, you do, and really probably teach yourself, as you have done with your girlfriends, to not only save yourself, but try and save someone else while you're at it.
Speaker 3: That is almost the I think it's the key to getting through something is to focus on someone else, right, And I you know, as terrible as you know my friend's illnesses, I do think that it pulled me out of a depression. I think I've been in a mild depression for a couple of years, and as soon as I knew that she needed me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 3: You know, then you you're out of it and there's something more important than you. And I think that is the key to you know, you steal yourself and you heal, but then look out to the world again, because it's not you know, you can spend so much time looking inward and there's self love and everything, but actually sometimes the most loving thing is to look outwards and go and help someone.
Speaker 2: Else because also then that reminds you once again of what you're capable of. Yeah, it's a strange gift to be given.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and it's almost you know, having friendship is such a blessing, but it's even better to be a friend. You know, that actually is a better feeling in a way.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, someone said it's better to give than receipt. Someone smart.
Speaker 3: Just attribute them to like random people people that is so far let us know who said them all.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's Sally Hepworth's future?
Speaker 3: Well on the tenth of August, my first book to TV.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, serious, coming so many at once because it's the Family next Door. Also Darling Girls.
Speaker 3: So Darling Girls has been optioned and that is currently a writer has been attached and she's working on the script.
Speaker 2: Was that that Amy Pohler thing.
Speaker 1: Who Amy Polar optioned? The mother in law?
Speaker 2: The mother in law and.
Speaker 1: The soulmate has also been optioned.
Speaker 2: I saw that with Asher.
Speaker 3: Yes, Asha Kitty is attached, which is amazing and she's going to produce. And also my short story Uncharted Waters has.
Speaker 4: The short stories that you googled I don't know how to write a short story.
Speaker 3: And Blossom, which is Nicole Kidman's production company has optioned that. The thing about the options is that they come in that's so exciting.
Speaker 2: And then it goes quiet.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and sometimes nothing happens, or sometimes a lot of things are happening behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: And I'm getting on with my life.
Speaker 2: So optioning is when people a production company will say we love this, we want to do something with it. You enter into an arrangement. But as we know, it could take years for things to get produced.
Speaker 1: Ore and nothing can happen.
Speaker 3: What they do is they buy the rights to have no one else look at it for a period of time, so it's theirs to try and get it off the ground.
Speaker 2: To you also, like landing all at once, these little ships that you sent out to.
Speaker 3: See it does feel like over the last and finally over the last two years, as my personal life's been imploding, a lot of a lot of things have been hitting do you think it's I do think that sometimes when you've gone through a period where you've set yourself free, that it's you enter this kind of flow state and suddenly things change.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's happened?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I believe in that. I've also a woman of my forties. I also do yoga, I have crystals. I've become very much into the universe and you know, putting my feet in the grass and doing all of that. And I do believe so much in signs, in energy, in things falling into your lap at it all.
Speaker 2: To me too. I'm mad for it. Yeah, I'm thinking about buying an earthing sheet. I've got one. You got one with the core? Have you got one with you? Is it a plug in one or one where you run? I've been looking at a real bonkers one from Canada or whatever. You have to run a copper cable outside your window into.
Speaker 3: The ground, Yes, no, mind's not has the copper, but it plugs in.
Speaker 2: Plugs in. Does it work with electricity for grounding?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Like, how would you know if it works.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful thing about it. You look really healthy.
Speaker 1: That I'm going off. I oh everything like that I've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that stut can't get enough of it. And I'm mad on supplements. This could go all day. This could go all day. Sally Hepworth, what a absolute duel you are in the crown of artists. I love this.
Speaker 1: That is that some something someone said?
Speaker 2: Is that a writer? We don't plain she wrote this book called chow Bella. It says it's not on that, but it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: I've read chap Oh. I brought a gift for you because I've got your soul language. I loved a signed copy. I have it at home. Oh I wanted to give you that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll still take it.
Speaker 2: Look and is it signed? You to sign the soul mate? But when I bought it, I already bought a signed one.
Speaker 1: Well I can personalize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, good, we're going to do that. I'll see you in five months. We'll have our chat about AI is now doing everything for you. Look forward and may your ship box always be full in the best way. Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: This has been lovely.
Speaker 2: Sally and I could have talked all day, and in fact we very nearly did, and it just struck me how generous and open she is. Even sometimes in the parts of your life that are kind of shadowy and your inclination is to try and cover them up, She's just spreading sunshine through herself and to those around her. It's always fascinating when the storyteller becomes the story. Sally's life has changed in ways she never saw coming, and she's done what so many women do is carried on. But what stayed with me was this, when everything falls apart, Sally doesn't pretend to have the answers. She just keeps showing up. The executive producer of No Filter is Nama Brown and the senior producer is Bree Player. Audio production is by Jacob Brown and I am your host, Kate lang Brook. Thank you so much for sharing No Filter with me. That was Sally Hepworth on No Filter with Me, Kate lang Brook. I hope you love that conversation as much as I did. If you want to make sure you never miss a beat with the Unleashed crew, make sure you hit follow right here in this feed and for more deep, honest conversations like this one, search for No Filter wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for listening. The Unleashed team will be back with a brand new episode next Tuesday. Mamma Mia acknowledges the Tree additional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on