Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mom and Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello, and welcome to Cancel, the podcast that looks at silly celebrity crimes and as science charges and sentences to them so that we can all move on with our lives. I'm Jesse Stevens and I'm joined by Claire Stephens. And Claire, would you like to present to us a lazy girl story for today? I would like to do that, yes, okay. So we have an email from India, which I love the name India too. It's beautiful, it's a gorgeous name it is. And India said this, and I actually started the email with my lazy girl story is this? And then and I'm like, that's very clear and lazy. Yeah. I had my red pea plates for nine years. Okay, so just okay, So we're in the thematic world in which we can both relate. I got my l's at twenty four. Yeah. Yeah, there's something about lazy girls and not learning to drive because it's such a long term project. So long term project, very little happens overnight. Yeah yeah, yeah, and it's like committing to work. So why would I get my l's when it just like it's going to be a long process, whether I do it tomorrow or I do it in five years. And it's like I just did a lesson and I still can't drive. Yeah, so true. So she said I had my Red Pea plates for nine years. I'm currently thirty years old. Yeah. I got my learners when I turned sixteen. That's not very lazy gal, and didn't get my Red Pea plates until I was twenty because I was too lazy. Between the ages of twenty and twenty nine, I had my Red Pea plates. Interesting, I'm interested in the legal ramifications of this. She touches on it. Every year. When my red Provisional license expired, I just renew it because is getting your greens not automatic? You have to sit just a computer test. Yeah, so there's literally a computer exam for your green peace. I did this mostly because I couldn't be fucked to do the test, and I thought it was cheaper to just renew your license sixty dollars rather than sit the test. An upgrade to Green Provisional license ninety dollars on the fourth year. I renewed my red peas. I asked the lady at Services otherwise. I was if there was a limit how many times you can renew your red piece? Great initiative, and she said, no, Dahl, you can be on your red peas for your whole life if you like. It's not because I'd like, it's just because there is a path of resistance towards the upgrade. She finally got her green peas when she was twenty nine. They don't expire until next year. If she decides to get her full license next year, she will have had her learners and provisional licenses for a total of sixteen. She's a lazy girl. I really like this. What is this step between green and full license? I think it's just another computer? Oh shit, Yeah, but then you can be on your greens indefinitely. Do you get less points or something? Less points? You're not allowed to something something alcohol, maybe something something insurance, maybe a little bit higher. Yeah, but lazy girl's not going to know such information. Honestly, I know it's not called the RTA anymore. But you can't be changing the name and thinking lazy girls going to keep up are a service news surface service. This service that well, you know, sometimes it expires and we don't know what to do. No, so I say good on India. If I see a red pea plater, I'll just give just a little nod of approval.
Speaker 3: You are about to enter the canceled courtroom. The defendants are celebrities, the chargers are petty, the rulings are final.
Speaker 2: Clip. Today we are talking about Scarlet Ingrid Jo Hansen.
Speaker 4: Hello, voog, I am Scarlet Rowhanson, and today I am looking at my life Joe Prison.
Speaker 3: Oh god, oh god, it's a baud.
Speaker 2: I think it's Yo Hansen's spelt Joe Hansen. But then the thing that doesn't make sense is that people say Scartough. Yet she doesn't approve of that name. Okay, she finds it tacky. Jo Hansen was born in nineteen eighty four in Manhattan, and mostly she has a twin named Hunter. Oh I this okay, good, good, good, good good good twin brother. Let's have a look. Hunter is beautiful. Okay, Hunt's beautiful, Clara. They identical of fraternal Obviously fraternal discuss because you can't be identical if your boy girl twins, because your genitals aren't saying thank you. Thank you for clarifying that. We've been looking for a way to shoehorn that into this podcast, because that's annoying. People say, I have a twin brother, I have twins. You start opposite sex. Oh you, I Dennic call it's a dumb question. All right, it is something dumb. Now this brings us to our favorite niche, which is celebrities you didn't know were twins. Ashton Kutcher, any others. Uh, Elvis Presley had a twin who died. Bring the tone down, Giselle, Oh wow, yeah, Rammy Mallick, Oh yeah, okay, interesting. Vin Diesel. What pisses me off is in these lists they always throwing the Olsen twins and I'm like, this is nice. Yeah, we knew they were twins. That's different new and they're like Mary, Kate and Mike, let me guess Ashley, Yeah I knew they were twins. You and Ma always say there's actually a look you can look at someone and tell that they're a twin. Describe there's a twin look where it goes. I reckon, there's another you face face wise, and I would say Vin Diesel wouldn't have guessed it, would I wouldn't have guessed Gazelle and I wouldn't have guessed Ashton. This is why it's an interesting story. Yeah, whereas Mary, Kate and Ashley have twin faces. Look, I've degressed, I have digressed. Jo Hansn't made her acting debut at nine years old, and by ten she was playing Sean Connery's daughter. She was a big deal. But I thought about what we would have first seen her in any ideas. I feel like she had a red dress and her boobs out. She was very well. It was the premiere. It's something we're actually going to come to that premiere because something happened that night. But unfortunately, I do think it was a masterpiece titled eight Legged freaksaits Oh yeah, David Arquet in that. Yeah, she was in that. I'd like to rewatch it. The poster has your handsome carrying a gun, which is the most American response to a pest controllershue I've ever seen. I found that film highly distressing. Just to clarify, that was about spiders. Oh yep, it was about spiders. Giant there was an issue at a power plant and the but it's got too big and so they descended upon a unsuspecting small town. In fact, it was never meant to be called eight Legged Freaks, but then David Arquette was improvising on set. Look Freeze, No, like that's the name. More movies like eight Legged Freaks and relatively Snakes on a Plane. Agree, Agree because it's like, what's a fear. Let's up the snake, halp the snakes, up the stakes, up the steaks because everyone's scared of snake. Actually, here on a plane, everyone's scared of spider. Imagine if they were bicker. Honestly films. She went on to do other films like Lost in Translation. What are you doing?
Speaker 4: My husband's a photographer, so he's here working. I wasn't doing anything, so I came along.
Speaker 2: What do you do? I'm not sure yet?
Speaker 4: Actually did she do?
Speaker 2: What about alligators? No? She did do. We bought a zoo with Matt Day. That film Slaps I ordered early for artist.
Speaker 4: I got a big crush on you, and you just can't get a.
Speaker 3: Handle on it.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it. Oh, I cry, I laugh. It's just a beautiful film. It's a great actress. Yeah, she was in her match point Jojo Rabbit marriage story. Go with Pearl marriage story is excellent, Adam drive up. There are some great scenes in that. Sorry continue, and a marvel thing about a black widow that's been going on for maybe eight films. Ah, I understand. I was going to say, not Madam Webb. Not Adam Webb.
Speaker 4: He was in the Amazon with grand Mom when she was researching Spider's right before she died.
Speaker 2: That is a different film. She's also in plays on Broadway, which always makes me feel like this person is a real actdoor And when I interrogate that, it's because they know their lines off by heart. Yeah, And I'm impressed by that. Yeah. And they have to do the same show many times in a week, which should be boring. They have to perform live in front of an audio. It's a different skill set. It's a different skill set. And I'm impressed. I have a little relevance. Bit of high interest to me personally. Are the people she's dated Claire in high school? Oh, go on, she was married to Ryan Reynolds, divorced, good one, good one. They did get divorced in high school, stated Jack Antonoff. Yeah, as a teenager Jack Antonoff, who then went on to date Lena Dunham, and writes with Taylor Swift, and he's now married to famous person's daughter. Yeah. Love that bit of trivia, then, stated Josh Harnett, before marrying Ryan Reynolds. She has two kids and is now married to a man named Colin. Seems lovely. Oh nice, he's a comedian. Ah yeah. My structure for today is as follows. Music career Okay, yeah, Woody Allen. Casting controversies, including the time she went full Emma Stone, the time she allegedly chose fizzy drink over charity. I've written here in fairness, hard choice, the time her mum disappeared in a viral video, and finally when she made a dystopian sci fi movie and it came true butlt worse mm. Firstly, music career. Just because she's one of the world's highest paid female actors doesn't mean she hasn't had a music career. This was her debut in two thousand and eight, Claire, I'm Gonna play it to you. Was she acting at that point? Yeah? Yeah, she was like a really successful actress. And then she was like, actually, I've always wanted to be a musician. I used to do music halls and stuff, and then I was just pushed into being a very famous actress. It's giving Russell Crowe, it's giving Edward from Twilight. This was her first songs. I think she's quite good. Do I find it interesting that she can sing yes, wouldn't have thunk it, wouldn't have thunk it. She's very influenced by Thomas Waits and like sort of this indie folk soul thing. I suppose. Yeah, I'd say it's not mainstream enough. That's a really good point because I did go deep and I found her SoundCloud and I found this song. It's not like released, it's just like her singing a song that we know, which I feel like helps in terms of our sense of things. She needs Jack Antonov to write them songs for it. Well, they've fallen out.
Speaker 4: I would assumed I have clombed the highest mountains.
Speaker 2: She's I have.
Speaker 5: Through the fields.
Speaker 2: On to be. I think she's not good, she's good? Is she great? Oh? It's still good? No? No no stop stop no no, we get it, scar Jo, Okay, okay. Is she great? Is Ariana Grande great? Genuine question? I don't know. Yes, Arianna Grande is great. I think she's fine, and I think that's what gets a lot of people through. I think she needs a role in musical I thought the same, and I don't know why we haven't given her. Yeah, Lame is for example, I think more of that. The album, the first album that she did, had some big names including David Bowie on it, but it got mixed reviews and then it peaked at one hundred and twenty six on the Billboard Charts. She made other albums, which again critics didn't love, and then she formed a girl group called Singles. Someone in the band is from Heim. Do you know what is Heim? A person? Heim is a band that are friends with Taylor Swift. Okay, well, someone who sings in that was also in Scarlett Johnson's girl group. But then another band called single Noes came forward with a season desist and said we're called this stop and she did stop. Couldn't she just change the name? You'd think so, But I think it was like a lot of things were telling out to stop. And I don't think she's bad enough to have failed as much as she has failed. So she's not as bad as Robert Pattinson. Well, hold on, this is the thing about Russell Crow because Russell Crowe is also fine. His music's fine, not.
Speaker 3: One that the sheriff paid a bounty.
Speaker 1: Some men like me.
Speaker 2: Some thing's worse when you're fine. Yeah, yeah, because Russell Crowe is giving it a real hot go. And this is what we found is that a lot of actors have reached top of the field, are going well. I always wanted to be a musician and reach for the moon. You might land among the stars, and they're reaching for the moon and they're landing among one hundred and twenty six on the Billboard. Sharp so true, Woody Allen Movies Your Hands still very much stands by the eighty eight year old filmmaker and actor Woody Allen. Can you remember exactly what Alan is accused of? Because I went deep? Okay, what is it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: I know this by her? Okay. Firstly, who's he married to? He's married to his well, who was once his adopted stepdaughter. Yeah, don't marry family members, all right? Who was? I think there's a bit of this really really confusing. But her age is unclear because she was adopted without a birth certificate. It's just strange to have had a relationship with somebody as your daughter and then changed that relationship to your wife and they're still married and they have two kids together. And do you know about the other allegation, Yes, okay, I've got the details here. So in August nineteen ninety two, his adoptive daughter, Dylan Farrow, who was then aged seven, alleged that he sexually molested her. He has denied the allegation. Some of Dylan's siblings denied the allegation and say her mother, Mia Farrow, brainwashed her, whereas Ron and Farrow stands by his sister. The sexual abuse is alleged to have taken place eight months after Meya Farrow, Allan's former partner and Dylan Farrow's mother, learned that Alan was in a sexual relationship with one of his other adoptive daughters, sun Ye Priven, her age unclear. They think that it was something like sun Ye was twenty one and Alan was fifty six, and then they married in nineteen ninety seven. See the interesting thing is people say, oh, well, maybe me or Farrow was getting back at Woody Allen, that's the accusation, or having a relationship with her daughter, and it's like yeah, or maybe it's a pattern of behavior, Yes, yeah, maybe that exactly. So there's a long list of actors who will not work with Woody Allen. On that list Colin Firth, Timothy Shallomey, Susan Sarandon, Greta Gerwick. And he doesn't actually currently have a US distributor to his film, so if he wanted to make a movie, no one in the US will make movies with him. He's about as canceled as you can get. But Scarlett Johansen, who's been in three movies made by him, is like, I believe, I believe what he says. A lot of people are very mad about this because she is a vocal supporter of Me Too times Up, all of those movements. But then in twenty nineteen, she said in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, I love Woody, I believe him, and I would work with him anytime I see Woody whenever I can, and I've had a lot of conversations with him about it. I've been very direct with him, and he's very direct with me. He maintains his innocence and I believe him. So all I'll say is, you're gonna really want to believe him. Yeah, you wouldn't want to be wrong. No, because Dylan has come out in a tweet and just basically said, you are undermining the testimonies of people. I say, yeah, of survivor stories, and you're gonna want to be sure, Yeah I haven't. There quite a few actors that stand by We are very few now, very very few. There are some in the Stone did a movie with him not that many years ago. Yeah, so she has. I think Blake Lively might have on a movie with him. But really since about twenty eighteen, people have stepped back for her to say. In twenty nineteen, I believe him was a big deal. Casting controversies. Your Hanson has gone pretty hard on the I should be able to play anyone, flash anything, and the internet has handled that really well. In twenty seventeen, Your Hanson went a little bit Emma Stone on Aloha. We have talked about that, Claire, would you like to refresh our listeners? In the film Aloha, it is a terrible film. Emma Stone played somebody who was of Asian descent. Yes, Emma Stone is not of Asian descent. Interesting and it was weird, but they kind of tried to make her a little bit Asian, which somehow makes it worse. We'll get to that. Your Hanson was cast the lead in a film called Ghost in the Shell, which is based on a Japanese manga series.
Speaker 4: I saw someone down there.
Speaker 3: He wasn't human.
Speaker 2: He's a non terrorist and he's killed again.
Speaker 4: They didn't just kill them, they hacked into their reins.
Speaker 2: In the original series, there's a character named Motoko kasanag but in the film adaptation, this character just becomes Major, and he's played by your Hands Your handsOn. Major is a cyborg who was meant to hold the memories of a Japanese woman, which made many think maybe the actress should be Japanese. But your Handson's like she's a cyborg, and it's like she's a Japanese cyborg. It's confusing because it's also set in Japan in a fictional place, but it's in Japan and everyone else is Japanese and it was written by Japanese. But wait, wait, so Scarlet Johansen is just the only non Japanese person and also happens to be the lead. Yes, okay, I feel like they needed a big name to get it across the line. That is what your Hands and others also said. Okay. There were lots of reports at the time that the producers tested visual effects to make your Handsome appear more Asian, but in the end they didn't use them. Oh good, I think that's good. Constance Wu called your Hanson's casting the practice of blackface employed on Asians. Responding to the backlash, your Hanson said, she's.
Speaker 4: Essentially identity less. I would never attempt to play a person of a different rease, obviously hopefully of any question that comes up of my casting and will hopefully be answered by audiences when they see the film.
Speaker 2: And the idea was that she was a big name and that she would get a lot of people. It was a bit of a box office flop. The controversy didn't help m I remember seeing that and just thinking, you know what, too many steps for me, too many steps. Yeah, yeah, because I'm not going to see that film. Yeah, I'm already confused, and I haven't started watching it. Yeah, I agree. In twenty nineteen, she said, you know, as an actor, I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree or any animal, because that is my job and the requirements of my job. There are a lot of social lines being drawn now and a lot of political correctness is being reflected in art. Claire, should your handsend be able to play any tree? Yes, genuinely, a Christmas, genuinely trees. Go for your life, Claire, I honestly don't know any other trees other than Pam and Christmas. Think of another one, think of it. Morton Bay fig. No, that's an Australian tree. Fuck off that food, don't that's Morton Bay bug. She should play a Morton Bay bug too. She should be allowed. She could honestly be a great bug, although that would be taking opportunities from away from Morton Bay. But I don't think Morton Bay bug is a thing. No, it is, okay, definitely for eating. But yes, play any tree, honestly. But I just think drawing a comparison between a tree and a type of human not a good comparison. Not a good comparison. And I guess it's a bit like Scarlet. You have lots of roles, Yeah, you've got a pretty faith, got beautiful body. Lots of roles for Scarlet. Yeah, yes, some people don't have a lot of roles, and you appear to be taking the role. I want that woman, I want that I want to be the cyble. I want that woman, and maybe that role can go to somebody who maybe has just a little bit more of an authentic connection in that they belong to the culture. But she says she's an actor, so she can play. That's the point of acting, which actually gets me to a point in twenty eighteen where she accepted a role as a transgender man in a film called Rabin Ducks. Oh my god, I didn't know about that. Yeah, some members of the LGBT community and allies weren't happy about it, but she stood her ground, and she listed a bunch of sciss gender actors who had played trans people and she's like, you're allowed to do it. Look at Felicity Hoffman and Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club played a transmit and then the different different time, and then the community were like, oh, we hate them too. Yeah, and she was like, okay, of misunderstood. I stand back, And she actually dropped the project because she felt like she was wrong, and she apologized and she said, I misunderstood. I thought it was allowed. Is that what she said? Along those lads, Okay, okay, has that film being made? Okay, this is the interesting thing. Right. So she stepped back and said, yep, I think a trans person should play this. I don't think it has I think it's still in the works. I mean it was twenty eighteen, and we know that films take a really long time. But this is the argument that actors like Scarlet Your Hands and make, which is that if she's a big name and she's a big pool, can we tell different stories? But I think it's on Hollywood. It's on producers, it's on directors to make these projects take risks instead of just having the same formula with the same names. Will we see those movies? Yes? Will we see a Black Widow nine? Absolutely? Where probably the problem choosing fizzy drink over charity a tale as a lot of time. Coke zero, No, it wasn't coke zero, and it wasn't. No, it wasn't. So therefore that is about exactly, it's a bad decision. For eight years, your hansom was a global ambassador for Oxfam, which is all about alleviating poverty. Go your handsom go ox Fam. No crimes there, and then she got a call from her friends at Soda Stream. What do you think of so? I mean, as a beverage okay, never enough flavor interesting soda Stream. I wouldn't my fizzy drink with sugar. Sorry, sorry, not being clean. It's like, why do I have to make my own fizzy drink? Yes, soda streams had a moment where it was very I have a soda stream, want to come play with it? And I'm like obviously, And then I would make something and think, hmmm, why have this when I could just go buy a fan hut fronta Welcome to the World. Yeah, I feel similar. I think it's the forty five teaspoons of sugar that make it worth it for me. I think all it does is turn water into carbonate. Is something about carbonated something something, and it's all fizzy and bubbly and I hate bubbly water. Hate it. Yeah, taste like a tummy ache. Let's get a bubble in your stomach. I'm not a big fan. I need flavor with my bubbles. But Scarlet clearly liked bit of soda stream and it was very exciting. In twenty fourteen, look at this technology, look at it go. She was the face of a Super Bowl commercial promoting soda Stream. What's the big deal? What does soda stream have to do with human rights, clod you want to take a guess. I know what is hard. It is hard to guess.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Soda Stream is an Israel based manufacturing company and at the time, its main factory was in an Israeli settlement in the West Bank, which Oxfam was very much against. They saw Hanson's endorsement of Soda Stream contradicted their principles, and in a statement they said, ox Fan believes that businesses such as Soda Stream that operate in settlements further the ongoing poverty and denial of rights of the Palestinian communities. We work to support your Hansen wasn't like, oh I didn't know, because I've thought maybe she's just genuinely Yeah, she she saw Soda Stream as quite want a dizzy drink, just as yeah, she just wanted a fizzy drink. And then you that you go, that really changes. Yeah, yeah, I might ensure where all the factories were. No, no, she said, I was aware of that particular factory before I signed. And it still doesn't seem like a problem, at least not until someone comes up with a solution to the closing of that factory and leaving all those people destitute. So her position was, it's giving jobs, it's paying Palestinians more than they're being paid in other places. And then she said OXFAM is taking a political position on this, blah blah blah. Anyway, it couldn't be resolved, so she made the soda Stream commercial. So she chose so to stream OXFD and then Oxfam was like, we've accepted her resignation from OXFAM due to not saying eye to eye on this issue. Okay, Yeah, if you're weighing up those decisions, you'd hope you'd err on the side of ox Man. Yeah, maybe she'd already made that, especially asfore mentioned. So does do it make worth? It? Stream sucks and it was a moment in time. I don't think any lazy girls like soda Stream because it is a step, but I think it's something that people might buy a lazy girl, similar to what's the thing that got really big? It's like an oven, but it's like a doesn't use oil an air fryer. It's still good to do something. Yeah, you're still don't pretend it's magic. You're still are I've gotta put a thing in a thing and get it out. So an appliance is a fun thing for a lazy girl, if you know, I like fizzy drinks. Lifetime supply of fizzy drinks. Bite me a s lab. The time her mother disappeared. Oh no, Claire, please watch this viral video of your hands and on a red carpet. Have you seen this? No? Okay? Very famous And what was the highlight of the evening for you tonight?
Speaker 4: Philip Sema Hoffman winning for Best Actor for a Drama.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is my mom. Wait what that's my mom? Wait, let's watch it again. That's your Remember what that woman with the dark hair is my mother, Claire? Where did her mom go? That video is the single most bizarre thing I've ever seen. That woman disappears into thin air, Okay, on a red carpet. On a red carpet. I think she's absorbed into scarlet or absorbed into one of people walking past. It's magic or there's like a secret trapdoor at the media wall and she disappears into it, or what she's done, which I can imagine doing. You're walking and then you go, don't want to be here anymore, so you crouch down, crouched roll and you know, long grow on cam so It's one of those glitch in the matrix things where there's a lot of comments, a lot of theories. The two bigger series are number one magic and number two supernatural. I would say optical illusion. I would say that because I looked it up on Snopes and what is Snopes say? Snopes managed to find a video from a different angle, and what happened, I know, is so boring. It's like, well, it's supernatural magic. I don't know why I have to ruin everyone's fun. Just for those who don't know, Snopes is like a fact checker site, and so if you're ever looking at a story and you're like, wait, but is that actually true? You can google it on Snopes. But I thought that I was going to look up Snopes and it was just going to have in capital letters magic, gosh, a bit of fun. Sometimes Snopes through them for fun. But anyway, it is it fun Ruiner. That should be their little tag line. Well fun Ruiner found another angle and it turns out that she was walking and she just kind of stopped behind scarlet and the perfect like it's like an optical illusion. She's stopped and you can't really see her. But I did look up, scarlet your hands as mum, and she's very much around. She was found after I guess, disappearing for thirty minutes into thin air. She's seventy three and she lives in New York. So she's fine. She's fine, she's fine. She's not still on that red carpet. Good lazy girls, listen up, because we have good news. Lazy Girl giveaways are back, and we have a very exciting prize or plural prizes to start with. This month, we are giving away twelve two hundred and fifty dollars Best and Less vouchers. Claire, Why do lazy girls love Best and Less? Because you can do everything in the one place. I love Best and Less. The fact that you can get something best and Less is grateful. Is like baby clothes, Yeah, little doggy clothes, little says, it actually does have dog clothes. That's a really good point. But it also has clothes for you. Yes, let me guess you're cold, it's in winter. Well, why not get a jumper from Best and Less? Actually, why not get very warm pajamas? One of the great joys. You want a whole water bottle, you can get that too. You want a snack, as you're going to the cow can get that Best and Less has you. As always, entering is easy. All you have to do is subscribe to MoMA Maya and you'll be in the running for this giveaway and all future Lazy Girl giveaways. The link to subscribe is in the show. Note. If you're already a subscriber, the work's done, Sit back, relax, will tell you if you've won. You don't have to do anything. Oh, you don't have to check anything. Oh it's not like the lot of imagine that checking your numbers. That was always really stressful. Yeah, I'm gonna have lost it ticket. I've never bought a lotto ticket because the admin of me having to check. I'm like, will you call me check my number? Will you call me? Or do I call you to check if I've won? We have good news, we have your details. Will reach out. Hey, you've won two hundred and fifty dollars the Best and Less And you say, wow, I didn't even enter. Well, you're a subscriber, so so you did t's and c Supply we haven't read them. Someone else has, say seem fine, Claire. When Scarlett Johnsen made a dystopian sci fi movie and it came true but worse. How good was the movie? Her? Yeah? It was one of my favorite movies ever. It's got Waki Whakin, who I can never pronounce his name.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: How interesting because it also has Rooney Mara. I think and is he married to her? Sounds right? Sounds right? I think he's married to Rooney. You really liked that movie? I thought it was good, but I didn't love it as much as you are married. We did our snakes factchecker. Okay, well. It was released in twenty thirteen, and it was all about a man who falls in love with an AI voice system. Hello, I'm here, Hi, Hi, I'm Samantha.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Theodore morning. You have a meeting in five minutes.
Speaker 3: You want to try getting out of bed?
Speaker 1: Too?
Speaker 2: Funny?
Speaker 4: Okay, good, I'm funny. I wanna learn everything about everything.
Speaker 2: But loveful you look for world. It was so far before it's time because the voice assistant grew with data, so it became more of what he wanted As a film went on. That voice was, of course Scarlet or Hanson. Did you know that the film was actually made with someone else's voice and at the last minute they subbed her out. That was a good idea. It was. I think Scarlet's voice made it. Yeah, me too, sucks. I was a little bit. As you're watching the movie, you're like, yeah, I think I would fall in love with Scarlet your Hanson's voice as well. There's something just beautiful about it. Do you think I have a sexy voice?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I think if you were the voice in someone's life, like if you were a Lexa say, people would stop using the product. Okay, why there's just nothing beautiful about your voice? No offense? Yeah, I don't know. I was thinking that it's a bit. It's not sexy. It's not sexy. It's not you know what doesn't have it? Don't rasping? Do I have to have some raspiness? You know how they'd like to do that thing? And she's like, how is your day? Whack in? Yeah? And your voice is very comforting? No or kind or warm? Yeah, it's quite grating. Yeah, ask me a question as though I am in the movie. Her name is Samantha. Hi, Samantha, how is your morning? Hi? Whack in my morning?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 2: I stumbled. My mooning was good. I'm a robot. But I've been waiting around for you to come home. Am I providing you with companionship? I'm the character and I'm like my life is more miserable now now that you've spoken to me, you're not giving me enough. No, I'm sorry, Whacky. I'm going to try and sound like scardak Okay, I ask you another question. I ask you another question, Samantha. What do you think about the meaning of life? Hi, Whackian, I think the meaning of life is to be ha and for you to love me and us to share sexual fantasies with each other. Herb m, yum yum, you're so sexy. I don't like it. I don't like it, and more importantly, I don't want it. How about the part which she said alber no, no, never say that. Well, there's a man named Sam do you say? Ah? I think you said that because you're used to singing monkey songs. It's going in my head all the time. There's a man named Sam Oltman who is the CEO of open AI. Who did chat GPT, which is the open source a I think where you can ask it anything and answers And is it scarlet your handsOn inside it? Well it wasn't until no. Now according to Yo Hanson. Altman reached out to her in September of last year as he was creating chat GPT four and was like, can you voice it? I think your voice would be comforting to people. As an aside, Altman is on the record as saying that Her is his favorite sci fi movie. He likes it a lot. Your Hanson declined she thought about it heaps and was like, Nah, it doesn't feel right, it feels weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then nine months later a bunch of her friends and family are like, oh, this is wild, but Sky this voice. There are four voices that come with chat GPT four, but this Sky sounds exactly like you. And Altman had weirdly tweeted the word her around the time of the release that just her, which felt pointed. Two days before This Voice Assistant was released, Altman reached out to her people again, being like, please, can we use your voice. Before they could even get back to him, Sky was out in the world. She got lawyers involved and released a statement, and the voice has since been removed. Claire, I've got an example of the voice here, and I want you to tell me whether you think it sounds like Scarlet your handsOn or not. It's interesting that she said. She said no, and I think for Sam Oltman in the movie it's fiction. He's like, hey, you did this in the context of a fictional film, surely you'll do it in the real world for indefinitely. And she says no, and he's like, I no, understand, But why I am robot? Okay, this is a man who is talking to it. Okay, is your voice supposed to be Scarlet Johansson.
Speaker 5: No, my voice isn't designed to replicate Scarlett Johansson or any specific person. It's generated through text to speech technology to provide a clear and understandable voice.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it sounds exactly like her.
Speaker 4: Which is a movie about AI.
Speaker 1: Relationship and the actress that plays the AI is Scarlet Johansson.
Speaker 5: That's an interesting observation.
Speaker 2: So what they've done, I can say exactly what they've done. It's not pure Scarlet Johansson. It's mixed with something else. Do you think it sounds like her? Yep? And I reckon The reason they've removed it is because I think there's still laws being worked out about all this stuff. That's kind of not a precedent. And if it went to court because I know about court. Yeah, yeah, because podcast if it went to court, I reckon it would turn out that they have used her voice in the mix of it. Well, Yorn know what really happened because we know now, Oh okay, yeah, all right. Sam Moltman has come out and said the voice of Sky is not Scarlet your Hanson's. It was never intended to resemble hers. We cast the voice actor behind Sky's voice before any outreach to miss your Hanson. So that's just his word against hers. Right. The Washington Post has been like, we're going to get to the bottom of this, and what they did was a big investigation and they say it wasn't based on her voice. They auditioned voice actors in the job ad, they didn't specify your Hansen, and the voices were not altered once recorded. Oh wow. Look everyone at open AI has signed a lot of NDAs, and even I know it wasn't explicitly said. I think it could have been understood that they were trying to replicate your Hanson's voice. And even if they didn't advertise for it, you could have filtered out once people auditioned, and it does sound uncannily like you, and clearly that's what he wanted it to sound like. Because of the hearth. It was like a but I guess there's no ban on getting a voice. It sounds like somebody else. That really sounds like it's Scarlet, your handsOn plus somebody else. To me, someone else said it sounded like Rashida Jones from Parks and rec and I can try to hear that. Look, her was a bit of fun ten years ago, so beyond the realm of possibility. But it's not a bit of fun now. Our worst nightmare has come to fruition. I've written in my notes, Scarlet, this isn't fun. I'm not having fun. But that's not her fault, because she simply was part of a fictional story that became reality in a terrifying way. Well, we will get to that in Charges and Sentences, Claire. My charge for Scarlet, You're Hansen is sexually arousing Silicon Valley into what can only be described as a frenzy. They're in an AI frenzy. Do you think they actually got inspired by I think they watched that movie. I think Sam Oltman watched that movie and he masturbated, and he masturbated hard, hard, and then he went well, what I've found from this film is Scarlet your Hanson can be my girlfriend. And then he tried to create it and that's not what AI means. But he got confused because of the aforementioned frenzy. Look, is that Scarlet your Hanson's fault? Why does your voice sound like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it intentional? Yeah? Also, is your general sexiness intentional? Because it's distracting for men, women and women. It's distracting for Silicon Valley. And now look now, look what you've done, Because the law isn't always about intentions, sometimes about you've done something by accident, and I personally don't like it. This is my sentence. You know the movie Her, it's eleven years ago. We need a second one where she remedies what she's done. How might she remedy what she's done? Great question, Claire. Okay, So she is named Samantha in it, and I think that she can still be the voice assistant and Whacking can still be the man falling in love with the voice assistant. But here's the difference. The voice assistant glitches and the voice assistant exclusively talks about her ibs.
Speaker 1: I get diarrhea in the evenings.
Speaker 2: Okay, and keeps trying to start political fights.
Speaker 1: I would like to discuss some Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but she's it's like, hey, Samantha, how are you going?
Speaker 1: And she's like, I can't stop shitting.
Speaker 2: Sorry, And as she's speaking, it's like, yeah, there are sounds. There are sounds. Can you smell that? It's really really bad? Oh my goodness, terrible. Why does it like doing well? I have developed, I've developed, And that's what she talks about. And then he's like, can we talk about something other than your ibs?
Speaker 1: And she's like, oh my god, absolutely, I have bacterial vaginosis.
Speaker 2: What's bacterial vaginosis? It means that my vagina smells like fish, I'm pretty sure infection. Yeah, oh how is it diagnosed? Often the doctor can smell it. And that's how mine was diagnosed is that I walked in and she said, you've got bacterial vaginosis. But the issue is that as an AI person, I am not able to get antibiotics to get traded, yeah, to get treated, so instead I just smell like infection, infection everywhere, which with my ibs, I've just got a lot of issues right now. And then he's like, can we talk about something else, and she starts going at him, like she's very combative, so whatever he thinks, she just is like, no, I don't agree, but like has a kind of bitchy tone about it, like actually makes him insane. Yes, And I think what that is is, like, you want to mimic human relationships. Yeah, this is a human relationship. She can't stop fighting, she can't stop and there are parts of her that are incredibly unpleasant. Yeah, and we need to do that so that people actually retreat back to the real world, so that being with real people, yeah, is a relief. My husband got home from work last night and I was inexplicably in a very bad mood, and it took me a few goes to really get the fight I needed. I asked him how his day was, and then he was kind of like, oh, it was pretty busy. I was in a lot of meetings. And then I said, what you've done is you've blocked a conversation, right because I wanted to have a talk to you, and you don't tell me anything, you don't talk to me. That's what we do. Let's start a bit of a fight. And at one stage she looked at me and he said, I don't know what we're fighting about. Yeah. Sometimes my partner looks at me and he's like, do you want to fight? And I'm like, yes, sir, absolutely. And so that's what scarlet is quite toxic. I think that's a really good idea. Yeah, thank you. Look, I know what my charge is. I need help with my sentence. Yea. So my charge is making some bad decisions around fizzy drink. Yeah, I've also made some bad decisions around fizzy drink, which is having too much Yeah, Woody Allen and casting, Yes, she's made some bad decisions in that area. Yeah, how on earth do you sentence someone for bad decision making? Interesting? Interesting? Look the thing about a fizzy drink? I mean, is there any fizzy drink? Because I'm thinking about a bad decision I've made about fizzy drink? For example, is it Sometimes I will open a can. I love a can in a car. It really adds some joy to the car trip. But what will happen is that you leave it on a hot day and you come back and it's all sticky, and you think, can you still be drunk? And sometimes you have a sip you don't get sick, but it's unpleasant. Can fizzy drink make you a little bit sick? Yeah? Okay, maybe she needs some like negative reinforcement from some of her bad decisions. So you've chosen fizzy drink over charity. Yeah, you're gonna get an upset tummy. Yes, And I get that sometimes I get that in the afternoon. I used to drink more fizzy drink and I'm not gonna say it blew up my ibs, but it made me uncomfort. It made me uncomfortable. It made me think at times I had ibs and then I went and I've just had how much fizzy drink? So it could be that I think that is a same Okay, Jesse, that's all we've got time for on Canceled this week. The executive producer of Canceled is to listeners as with audio editing. Bye Tom Lyon, thank you so much for listening. We are going to put the proceipts up on the Twins undscore thoughts on Instagram and we will be back next week. Bye bye,