Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting out Loud, the podcast for parents who don't always listen to parenting podcasts. Instead, we talk about kind of the news and the trends and the culture and what parents are thinking about. Amelia Lester, it's so good to see you.
Speaker 2: Hime On's I love your buttery yellow very.
Speaker 1: Entrend joining us as well today our beautiful prego clestevens she's ready.
Speaker 3: Hello. I'm like, oh, no ah, we on YouTube. That's okay, I'm used to it. I have to just block it out.
Speaker 1: You do you do? This is your life now? You flog your face for money? Yes, okay? Coming up today.
Speaker 2: If you refuse to salt your kids socks or drive them to one thousand and one extracurriculars, you might just be a beta mum. Here's why parents are suddenly embracing the label of underachiever.
Speaker 1: How quick is too quick to return to work after a baby? Well that all depends, I guess. But I want to talk about an Ossie Netbauler, who's copped a lot of flak this week for getting back on the court after ten weeks.
Speaker 3: And the low key genius parenting and grandparenting hacks we didn't notice. As kids, we didn't realize what was happening.
Speaker 2: But first one of the greatest artists of our time is copying flak for being proud of her children. This is the world we live in. Beyonce is a co chair of this year's MET gala, and she bought along to the gala her fourteen year old daughter with jay Z Blue Ivy Carter. The MET rules say, incidentally, you have to be eighteen to attend, but Beyonce wasn't the only celebrity who got an exemption there. Nicole Kidman bought her seventeen year old Sunday Rose Urban with her as well. Anyway, Beyonce was asked a question related to the theme of the gala, which was fashion is Art, and her answer was very sweet, or so I thought, Is.
Speaker 1: There one piece of art that has changed your life?
Speaker 2: I would say my children?
Speaker 3: Your children, yet more time my children. Oh yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Greatest work of barthe So. Beyonce has said similar things before. In twenty sixteen, she said that, out of everything I've accomplished, my proudest moment, hands down, was when I gave birth to my daughter Blue. So far, so good. Victoria Beckham's made similar comments. Even Hillary Clinton makes a point of describing herself on social media as a mother and a grandmother first. So I'm kind of wondering whether this should even be controversial because obviously successful.
Speaker 1: What are people saying? How is this possibly controversial? Unless you're a scientist, in which case I would see how you would say, Actually, it's not art, it's science to have a baby. What are people saying?
Speaker 2: That's not what they're mad about? Bonds. People are mad because they say Beyonce is an amazing musician and singer and songwriter and performer, and she say that she's most proud of her career. This is in the various dark corners of the Internet where people lurk and share such opinions.
Speaker 3: I think people are mad because when you watch the grabs from that Red Carpet, so many celebrities were asked for their favorite piece of art, and none of them could name a piece of art that Gigi had did one where she just goes round and round in circles, being like, oh, just you know, like original.
Speaker 2: I think it's giving Russell brand with a Bible.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I think Beyonce could not think of a piece of art. And I think quick bloody thinking being like, Oka, my daughter good, that was was It was clutch.
Speaker 2: Also, she probably wasn't like completely with it, because whenever I take my children anywhere, I'm always like pretty distracted and worrying that they're going to make some sort of scene. Now, obviously Blue Ivy Carter is older than my children. It would be a nightmare to take a six year old. Had an eight year olds to the mcgarala.
Speaker 3: Can be clear on that fourteen year old liability?
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, I'm pro. I'm pro what Beyonce said. I think like anyone can pick up a guitar and just go bittling them, but no one like not everyone can grow a human out of like their own tissue.
Speaker 3: I agree, agree, and I think most people would say what she said in terms of I always find it fascinating that, no matter what someone's achieved, you get to the end of your life and you'll always say it was the people.
Speaker 4: I'll say this podcast, Oh wow, thanks Amelia Poet.
Speaker 1: Okay, A big part of this job, Claire, if you're not sure, if you're not short, the remit is here today is we bring often important cultural phrases from the Internet and famously Stacy Hicks, who's not here today. She brought six seven to this show month before it hit the school yard.
Speaker 2: I got to tell my children about six seven and then regret it. Yep.
Speaker 1: And then, infamously, a few weeks ago, Amerelya brought the phrase low canuinely, which has not hit a single school yard or anything so far. So we've got one hit, we've got one fail. Now it's my turn to bring one, if I may, I present to you both from the comments in TikTok and from the comments in Instagram, you the birthday? Yeah, okay, I seeing this?
Speaker 2: Is this just a way of saying happy birthday?
Speaker 1: No? No, oh, Claire, you know it. She knows it.
Speaker 2: I know it.
Speaker 3: I'm young and hip and cool and down with the kid.
Speaker 2: I think Claire spends a lot of time on TikTok.
Speaker 3: I spend way too much time on tik So.
Speaker 2: What is it? Tell me?
Speaker 1: Basically, you're the main character. Hooray for you. Everyone's so happy that you're here because you're like the main event. Is that, right, Claire?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay? Good?
Speaker 3: And so apparently it came It's come from a song by Han x Ho. I don't know who that person is. But it's a song called Birthday Girl, and the lyrics are like she eat she the birthday, and then there's a pause and he says girl. So it's like she eats she the birthday, she's eating cake, or I think like she eat in like a she slayed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then apparently there are variations of this. It's a whole language because it's like, you didn't get the joke. You the after party, you behind you, the belated birthday, You're a mess, You're the confetti. Oh okay, Yeah, you should start talking to your kids like that, both of you. Yeah, I'd appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So when Stacy sent through her holiday picks to us, we said, you look so happy and he looks so great. We should have said you to birthday.
Speaker 3: She would have loved that.
Speaker 1: A little gear change. Now, there's a bounce back story that came out this week that I wanted to talk about with you both today because Paige Hadley she's, if you don't know, an Australian netballer. She's former vice captain of the Australian Diamonds. She plays for the Swifts and she returned to the court last weekend fittingly on Mother's Day, ten weeks after the birth of her first child, Tully No.
Speaker 2: Ten weeks ten.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah. So, first of all, congratulations to Paige Hadley, Congratulations to the Swifts. Like when sporting teams have a baby, the baby becomes part of the law. It's just a lovely thing. But I think what makes this interesting is that the range of reactions that we saw to a bounce back story. A lot of people were saying, wow, like that is amazing, congratulations that you're phenomenal. There was a lot of.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The pressure just never ends on women, like this is a pressure cooker situation. She feels she has to go back to work. You know, time is finite, especially when you're a sports person, so imagine the pressure she's under to get back on the court. And then there was a lot of people who said, get off the court and go and spend time with your baby. I just wanted to bring it today and say, why what is it about bounceback stories that make people feel so viscerally invested? What is it about a woman going back to work after ten weeks that gets people with big feelings?
Speaker 3: We really do see it as a personal affront, like that her going and playing netball says something about me as a postpartum woman. And I'm really interested in this because there's been commentary even in the last few months about Margo Robbie and how she went and filmed Wuthering Heights when she was postpartum and she doesn't really talk about motherhood or she kind of is unmarked by having become a mother in recent years, and some people find that unfair and disingenuous and dishonest, and I just think it's bizarre that we can't accept that pregnancy, birth postpartum motherhood are going to be entirely different for different women, depending on who you are.
Speaker 2: But I think there is a kind of ideological battle taking place as well. Obviously, yes, that's true, women should do what's right for their bodies. But there's kind of two schools of thought, I think, in terms of how women return to both work and in these cases the public eye. On the one hand, you have a Margo Robbie who seems to have made a concerted decision not to make motherhood part of her professional identity or brand, and they're stealth mum, stealth mum, stealth mum. And then you have Paige Hadley who returns to the court on Mother's Day, it must have been aware that there's going to be speculation and discussion around that, and in a way, I think welcome to right. She was very matter of fact and open about the fact that she was returning after having a baby. I don't think you'd describe that as stealth mumbing. In fact, I think a lot of those women want to be able to talk about it so that they can kind of normalize returning to work. And I think both those camps can make an argument that what they're doing is helping other women, because the margat Robbies will say, well, what does having a baby have to do with me making a movie? And the page Hadley's will say, I want to normalize mothers being out there in the world and engaging at the highest levels in their professional capacity. So I think there is an ideological strain to it, because you kind of unfortunately, any woman who has a baby is going to have to make is going to have to have to navigate that and therefore make some kind of statement, whether she wants to or not.
Speaker 1: Right once, Yeah, you can't escape it, you can't. But the double standard is really striking and that's what Paige Hadley said. She said, no one says this to my partner, so why should they say it to me? And we certainly do treat mums that choose to go back to work after a baby as a moral decision, and we treat dads completely differently, like it's a financial, responsible, a logistical thing for them. It's like we accept it on one hand and not on another. And it's just really curious. But I think the other point, the other interesting part of this is kind of what you were saying, Claire, about how it's almost never about Paige Hadley or the person that's bouncing back. It's always about us, right, Because what's curious is that even though like I read this story and intellectually I got it, I was like, great, she had a team of people around her, she was doing physio, she has support structures, she has all of this around her to enable her to return to work. So it's a really structured, sensible decision. It's her decision and all of that. There's this tiny part of me that despite all of that, thought what was I doing at ten weeks? And the answer to that is wearing an adult nappy and crying on a park bench, and I think that that's the essence of these stories. And this is why these stories travel is because people just see it as comparison. Like we live in this comparison culture. I think women are assessed all the time, from the time they're little on how they look.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: Women are so used to being measured, right, We're measured on our bodies or our ambition in our careers, the choices we make in motherhood, and so when another woman does something that's so extraordinary as this, we can't help but compare ourselves to it. So I think that's why these stories go crazy, is because it's never about the actual person. It's just about the feelings that it kind of evokes in us.
Speaker 2: But there is also a visual element, like you mentioned the double standard for men and women, and I guess Paige Hadley mentioned that too, and that's absolutely fair. But women are the ones whose bodies have been put through this thing, and so part of what other women are doing is sort of looking to see because there's visual and physical reminders of what you've been through and you want to check where the other women are going through the same thing. I don't think that's so nefarious.
Speaker 3: But I think our anger is misplaced. Like do women Do a lot of women feel like they aren't given the grace they wish they were given postpartum?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Do a lot of women feel like there is judgment on them physically post birth? Yes? Do we feel like sometimes we're forced back into work before we're ready, or we're meant to erase all the signs that we had a baby. We feel all those things. None of those things are Paige Hadley's fault. They are patriarchy. They are a structures, an absolutely huge system that underpins the way that we live that makes us feel those things. But it is such a big reminder that everybody's experiences are entirely different. I'm this time round with pregnancy. I'm trying to work out professionally what to say yes and no to in the weeks months after birth, and it's impossible to know. And you do judge yourself because I will look around and see friends who are doing live television a few weeks after giving birth, and I think I couldn't have done that. I wasn't articulate. I don't know what I would have said. But I also think there's another element, and I don't know if either of you experienced this. But the criticism that Paige Hadley got, which was one of the veins of criticism, was she should want to be with her baby. Why she out on the netpat Court, I think there's something about giving birth that makes you more ambitious, especially in the very very very short term, where it's like, hold on one, I'm amazing. I am more incredible than I ever thought that I was physically. And two, time is finite, and I don't have all the time in the world to do all the things I want to do, so I should go out and do all of them. Yeah, And it's like there's also that experience of motherhood that I don't think we talk about enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that, Claire. I think this is probably two in house. But like having played basketball at that level and had I had racial spawn give birth in the year that I played with her. And there's also a transition. You know, they talk about this term matrescence, which is when you become a mother and you become a new person. And the athletes that I've watched transition through matrescns have come back with a hunger and a desire like I had never seen before. And like a poise. There's something about it that is really incredible to watch. Anyway, that's just a side note.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think like that is something that is also a part of motherhood, and instead we see it as purely self sacrifice and there's not there's other there's other elements to it.
Speaker 1: It's that feeling of if I'm going to be away from my baby, I want to make every second count. And yeah, it's really real. It's a real thing, guys.
Speaker 3: There is the best thread on Reddit called what's something your parents or grandparents did that you now realize was low key genius parents? Such a cue And it's such a good question because you really, especially when you become a parent, you're like, oh, I know what was up that was not just that was not like under the right like you would. You're a genius. So some of the top comments were as a child, bedtime was eight, but my mom would let you leave the light on until eight thirty if and only if you were reading. And I love it because it's like you feel a little bit naughty like staying up till late thirty, but it's like your reading, which is exactly what your parent wants you to do. There was another one that said I was a worrisome and often scared child, and my mum would manage my fear of bugs by telling me that any bug I pointed out to her was a baby bug. Baby spiders in the basement, baby bees outside, even baby worms in the ground. I immediately lost my fear of them, as I thought they were just little babies whose parents were gone.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I don't think this person lives in Australia, because if you pointed out a huntsman and said that was a baby, I would be more scared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or a baby snake. Oh, it's a baby snake, and you go. I think children are so obsessed with bugs. They're so obsessed with bloody and that is very, very cute. There's another one that says my mum instilled a desire to learn as a very young child. I would ask her questions like how do birds fly? Or why is the sky blue? She would respond, I don't know. Let's stop by the library. Such good parenting and grab a book on the topic. And she would then ask me over the next few days, so how do birds fly? And I would go off the fifteen minutes on all the new facts I learned about birds, even beyond the flying.
Speaker 1: Oh no, go away a pre mobile phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, Now I'd be like ask chat JP to a mate.
Speaker 1: I tell my kids to ask Google all the time, just ask the speaker. Yes, that's bad parenting.
Speaker 3: Do you guys have any that your parents or grandparents would do that you've just realized?
Speaker 2: A genius one popped into my head, which is that whenever I had trouble getting to my mom said, oh, look, it doesn't matter, because just being in bed and being still and resting your body is just as good as sleeping. And now I realize how science back to that strategy was because I was talking to a sleep expert recently and she told me that the worst thing you can do if you can't get to sleep is panic. Ah, And she was like, look, I'd rather you just like watch an episode of Friends and relax than like lying in bed tossing and turning. And I feel like what my mother was doing by saying that was just dialing down the anxiety so that I could get to sleep.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're so clever, the instincts that the parents have. I remember growing up, my nan lived with us until we were teenagers, and Mum would always say, I'll go go check out. When we got home from school, she'd say, go check on Nan, Go tell Nan about your day, keep Nan company. It never occurred to me that Nan was like caring for us, that she was babysitting.
Speaker 2: Up framing that I'm going to steal. Is that like because you felt important? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was like, I guess I'll just you know, be a good person again. Go hang out with Nan, listen to one of her crazy stories. And next minute I'm like, Oh, that's how my mum got everything done when she had four kids under two and a half, and she was able to cook and clean and work and everything. It was very very clever.
Speaker 1: Mine's very basic but also genius is that when we were kids, we would constantly try and find the Christmas presents, Like we would go ransacking through the house trying to find where they were hidden. And my mum hid them in the box that the Christmas tree came in. Oh, because no one's going to look like there's like a giant box that it comes in. And they were all in there, and I have stolen it for myself. Thank you.
Speaker 3: You'd never look. You never look. Their most boring.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you play fast and loose about your kids safety on playground equipment? Maybe you chuck all the kid socks into a basket and have them pick out two each day, whether or not they match, just so you don't have to sort them. Or when your kid complains constantly about an extracurricular activity that you were dragging them to, you just stop taking them, let them drop it. These are all signs that you might be what the Wall Street Journal this week called a beta mom. Can you translate that for me, Claire into Australian parlance?
Speaker 3: A beta mom, beta mom?
Speaker 2: Thank you. The journal says that after decades where the dominant expectation for high achieving parents was to kind of intensively helicopter, a new generation of mums is saying enough already. They are reclaiming date night, they are saying no to schlepping to seventeen different after school activities, and they are making peace with dirty dishes in the sink. And the journal says that these little acts of giving up and giving in are the beginnings of a low key feminist revolution, which I'm here for mom's. I found this article kind of confronting for reasons I want to unpack later. But I immediately thought of you as what I think of as a Taipei parent. I'm dying to know what you thought of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think beta mums or Beata mums is what happens when millennial mums burn out, Like this is a normal, natural correction to the parenting that we've been trying to do. Because when I read this, I thought it made complete sense to me. I wish I was a Beata mum. We have a generation of kids who have been overparented, and anxiety rates are through the roof. We have a generation of parents who are all burnt out and who's also anxiety rates are through the roof. No one is having a good time in the way this is going. Gentle parenting hasn't worked. Snowplow parenting hasn't worked. Helicopter parenting has not worked. What's left just drop the bundle and just opt out. And so when I read this, I sighed, and I thought, yes, this is this is the natural correction that we actually need. Because if you read the research, and I know, don't don't snooze on me, But like all these experts are saying this is what kids need, they need less intensive parenting. They need to take more risks, they need to build resilience in independence, and the way to do it is like take your hands off the wheel, parents take them off. And so I love that all these mums are doing that, but I don't think it's a feminist reclamation. I think it's that we're all burnt out and it's like, we cannot keep this machine up anymore.
Speaker 3: My reaction to this was, don't we all become beata mums? I think we all start as outfit, being like I'm going to be absolutely perfect earth mother, Like we all have that for like about twenty five seconds and then realize it's not possible. But I think this made me feel good about myself because I was like, I have a lot of I have a lot of issues with myself, a lot of complaints I'd like to file, But I think I'm a beata mum, and I do think it is empowering my child. For example, at home, we have the basket, and the basket is where all the toys go in no order, and I refuse to organize them, and I refuse it. There's all this stuff about like you have to rotate toys and make sure that your child gets expelled. I'm like, no. I read something once that said the fewer the toys, the more they play. I don't know if that's true, but I'm going by that. But the fact that the basket is chaos means that Matilda can pack away her own toys because there's no order. I'm not upset she can. We no longer fold Matilda's clothes. They get shoved into the drawer, and therefore she can put her clothes away. She can get them in the morning. I'm not bothered. And these things. I think sometimes we're setting up household and we're setting up life in a way that isn't child friendly, because we want like an esthetic home. We want things to look nice. We want, you know, on our child's birthday. I remember Matilda's first birthday. I got her this gorgeous dress and within two seconds there was kak all over it, and I was like, this is the lesson I needed. We don't we don't try. We set the bar on the floor. It's better for mum, it's better for her. But I think it also depends on your child, because I reckon there are children who perhaps the children who are a lot better served with like stricter routine and more predictability, and that sort of thing that wouldn't respond well to the chaos of a being a mum. But my child is just as chaotic as I am, so we work really well together.
Speaker 2: I think what's interesting is Mon's you mentioned that this is sort of a pendulum response to, like a swing back from helicopter parenting or intensive parenting. The journal article has a theory as to why it's happening now, and it's quite fascinating. It turns out that when women entered the workforce in bigger numbers, and when women's labor force participation rose, guess what happened at home? They started spending more time with children, not less.
Speaker 1: Oh right, because of the guilt factor.
Speaker 2: Because of the guilt factor, and also because they were high achieving they and they lived in a society where they thought, well, I want my kids to be high achieving and have good jobs too, so I'm going to have to really make sure they do their homework and go to their violin lessons and achieve in school. So then what happened was a whole generation of women really did burn out. Mons. I think you're right on that and then what's happening now is the economy is volatile. AI may or may not be coming for white collar jobs, and these same high achieving women in the same high achieving cohort are looking around going there are no guarantees anymore. If my son or order goes to their violin lessons every week, and if they get straight a's in school and get into their top university choice, maybe that doesn't even set them up for success because we don't know what will be needed, what skills will be valued in the new world that's emerging now. So that's the theory as to why this is happening. Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's dystopian, but I had the same thought. I'm playing Game of Life with my kids at the moment. Have you heard of this game? They? Oh, my god, okay, hard Pass. They found it in an op shop. I was like, that sounds cool. It's this game where you have to roll the dice and you play life, so you have to get a college degree before you can earn good money, and then you go around the track and you get married and you have to have babies, and then you save money and you retire, and every time we play it, I just think, what, this is not the model law of success anyway?
Speaker 2: Is there negative gearing in this game?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I never we never get that far into it because you love it, and I'm just like, but this is not how life is gonna work any anymore. Like, Yeah, I think it's distopen but true. And it does seem like a reaction to that.
Speaker 3: I wonder if, like the the people who are mums now have watched over the last decade or so, kind of the generation above them who were mothers and have watched how hard it's been and are sort of rebelling against that. Like I know that, I've like I still think about it. I think about it all the time. I look at mums who work here and have three kids and work really really demanding full time jobs, and I think, I don't know how you die. I think you are bloody incredible, and I don't know how your pants are clean and your hair is washed.
Speaker 2: Like, well, I think you should have clean pants? Can we just I don't.
Speaker 3: I've got I've got lunch on my parents today. But I think we've seen that and we are rebelling against that to some extent and realizing that the imperfection needs to needs to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: And that's in part because, as Mon's was getting to before, that the research does back up the fact that intensive parenting has contributed to the anxiety epidemic amongst young people. There was a new research paper that came out in Australia a couple of weeks ago which pointed to so called cocooning of kids, which means that when kids have a problem, parents tend to sort of wrap them up in greze and sort of make sure that they don't have to encounter the problem head on and that they don't have to be hurt by the problem. And the researchers were saying that that kind of cocooning does not build resilience in kids. In fact, it does the exact opposite. That said, I have some bad news because on the one hand, you've got researchers on the other hand. The top comment on the journal article is from a man called Tommy oh No, and Tommy does not approve. He does not approve. He says, you get one chance to instill the right values and a work ethic in your children. Teach them that nothing happens without hard work, and that the world owes them nothing.
Speaker 3: I say, Tommy, while you're on your phone, where are your kids?
Speaker 2: Mate? Where are your kids?
Speaker 3: Get back to them.
Speaker 1: That's not what. That's not the We're not saying beta moms don't teach their kids' good values. We're saying they don't optimize them. They don't put them in fourteen extracurricular activities that they prioritize like rest.
Speaker 2: It's a thing to prove slope from not folding a laundry to just teaching the kids that murders. Okay, you should know that monds. But for those who are not interested in Tommy and what he has to say, which I venture is probably most of the people listening to this and you want to start embracing your beta mom self, here's a fun little TikTok about some tips for how to from the pov of you have a type ce mom. Okay, so I know.
Speaker 1: She's only three much, but I think for her first birthday party it should be themed girls just want to turn one?
Speaker 4: You know, my bag, I haven't unpacked yet from spring break.
Speaker 1: I think we have extra whites in there. What do you feel is a nice way to say, do not get us any more toys?
Speaker 2: That make sounds or sing songs.
Speaker 1: So I forgot a thought of the chicken? Could you just pick some of them.
Speaker 2: Up on your way home?
Speaker 1: Oh, before you lea out, did you eat a laker from the couchhown stairs?
Speaker 2: I forgot to drive the new May What do we think?
Speaker 1: It's so good?
Speaker 2: It's so good? Mom's last question for you. You started off by saying you loved this, but as a member of the of the Christmas Moms of Australia facebook group, I feel that we can we can typecast you as perhaps not your average beta mom. Are you going to start incorporating some of these more haphazard parenting techniques into your everyday life.
Speaker 1: Yes, And in my house we call it dropping the ball, So Mom's dropped a bundle. I've dropped the But I like the repackaging of it being beta mum and that it's a trend, so I'll be using that from now on. All Right, it's time for recommendations, where we bring you the things we're watching, loving, buying, telling each other about Claire. What have you got today? I have a very toddler specific one. So I was sick of Matilda's clothes getting ruined every time she ate, because asforementioned, I'm a beta mum, so every time she ate, I was like, why is this sauce all over that brand jumper? How does this keep happening?
Speaker 3: So in summer super easy, she just eats Tholly in a nappy. However, winter not as easy. So I've rediscovered these smocks that I had when she first started solids, and they are so good for toddlers.
Speaker 2: This is beta mumming so hard, sorry.
Speaker 3: Little chomps, And so they are these smocks makes there's this mister Burns meme from The Simpsons where he's like in this gown anyway, it looks exactly like that. So full bodies mark so cute, like really soft, not stiff, and you can literally rinse it. The most important part it doesn't have that fricking little pocket. Yeah, that's so many bibs have where it's like I don't want the squishy food in the pocket for me to clear out. Bibs are also useless because surface area is a lot bigger than just under my child's chin. So these these marks amazing and also good for like craft. Not that we have done craft, but if we were a craft family, I'm sure it would be lovely for painting, et cetera. But really, says Matilda's clothes. They're about thirty dollars and you don't need ten of them. You need one and then just prints it.
Speaker 2: I'm putting it on.
Speaker 3: No, not at all, because it's quite comfortable and quite loose.
Speaker 2: Fish. That's like I need one.
Speaker 1: I'm a very messy Can I give you my bea mum alternative? Yeah, I actually did this. This is profire beta mum.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is.
Speaker 1: I also got sick of clothes getting ruined, so I just took a tee towel and just cut a hole in it and just would plot a tea towel over them. Yeah, I was afraid. I didn't sew it. I just it was just literally scissors in a tea towel. Done. But then you've got to wash it. You do you do that, you might as well be washing the clothes.
Speaker 2: Reminds me of like back in BuzzFeed days, like there was this trend of like bread in cats. You'd like take a bit of out of a slice of brand and put it over your cat's hand.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit like that was a fun time on the internet.
Speaker 3: I miss that.
Speaker 2: About the show you're recommending, because I've heard mixed things about it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, okay. So if you like Fisk and if you like Utopia, so if you like Australian comedy, I've got a new show. It's called Bad Company. It's on the ABC and the best part about it is short episodes and totally hilarious. But Anne Edmonds, who wrote it and I think may have directed it, is the star of it. And she is just so hilarious. She's just the best. It's a fun, really easy, smooth brain thing.
Speaker 2: To watch and what happens in it.
Speaker 1: So it's a it's an artistic company that she's the artistic director of. So she runs this small theater and it's in total financial ruin because she keeps putting on these like elaborate French kind of like long artistic visionary plays and the people on the board are like, Margie, you know your theater's like bankrupt. You've got to actually put on like Grease with Sonya Kruger. And then they send they second Kitty Flanagan as this kind of like straight laced financial person to come in as the CEO and like get her ship shape. So it's the classic like artistry versus finance. It's very funny. Oh what have you heard bad things?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I love fisks, so I've been asking everyone about it because it's almost like I don't want to watch it if it's bad, because again, I just love fisks so much. And yeah, one holy rain right, I'm gonna out her. She's she didn't like it. Oh, but I'm gonna give it. I'm going to give it a shot. The reason I'm going to give it a shot and report back here.
Speaker 3: Kitty Flunnagan can do absolutely no wrong. Is so good, is my opinion. Holly, we all.
Speaker 1: Know she's a little bit cuckoo.
Speaker 3: We don't want to say it outside of this room, but I don't trust it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of tension between them moms. Actually there's some out loud gossip. That was a joke. Everyone, Okay, this is the most beta mom thing. I think I could recommend. Ce lest Barber has a beauty range, and I feel like Celess Barber's whole kind of vibe vibe is beta mum, and the beauty range is called Booie b o o i E.
Speaker 4: It's available at Woolies. I love a sneaky beauty Hall at Woolies. Yeah, because you can do it while you're picking up objectively boring things, but then feel like you're giving yourself a little treat.
Speaker 3: It's really fun.
Speaker 2: And she has a thing called Slient BB Cream remember BB creams what everywhere cream?
Speaker 3: I forget that.
Speaker 2: It was originally a K beauty thing, and the idea was that it was meant to do everything at once, like it was your foundation, it was your moisturizer, it was your hydrator, your illuminator, and they kind of went away, and I think that Celeste has done a good thing by bringing them back, because what this product is for is on Saturday morning, just hypothetically speaking, you do have to go to a children's sporting activity. Mons knows more about sports or the PA, but you have to go to all the park, you know that kind of thing. And it's a little bit earlier than you'd want to be out and about on a Saturday. You don't quite know. Can you get away with the tracky decks, You need to put on jeans. It's that kind of vibe. But you just want to look like a little bit more happy to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to look deal because it it upsets people.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and you see them recoiling from you, and you just don't want that anymore. So you put this some bb cream on and you can seriously do it with one hand without a mirror as you are running out the door shouting at your child to put his sneakers on, just because I mean, I obviously wouldn't shout at a child and tell them to what they sneakers And you're meant to walk up to them gently place a hand on their shoulder and say, have you considered putting on footwear? But you know, if you were doing that, it's a good beauty product for that kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: And is it tinted?
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's tinted. It comes in a few different shades.
Speaker 1: It hasn't got sunscreen in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah it does. But you know, I think we all know that you're not meant to use it.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, okay, not rely on it.
Speaker 3: But it's nice, a little bit of spire exactly.
Speaker 2: It does be your in collagen and I've been saying for a long time that I need to incorporate more marine collagen into my every day and just checks that box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lovely, Well that's all we have time for today on Parenting Out Loud, thank you for spending your time with us. If you're watching on Apple Podcasts, thank you for watching, and have a great week. Thank you very much. Clear Stevens, Thanks Thanks. Momma acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.
Speaker 3: H