Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mama. MI are out loud. It's what women are actually talking about. On Wednesday, the first of April. I'm Holly Waynwright, I'm.
Speaker 2: Amelia Leuster, and I'm Klas Stevens.
Speaker 1: There won't be any April Fools on today's show because we don't like pranks.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, we should have started the.
Speaker 1: Joke we should have done. I had Morning TV on this morning and it was wall to woll like, guess what this is happening.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: I was just like, I didn't out louders have time.
Speaker 4: I'm too tired and there's enough going on in the world that I wish was a joke. Yes, I don't know. I don't need any forced fun.
Speaker 1: So here's what made our agenda for today. The ABC asked working moms for tips on how they get it all done, and the comments section rebelled.
Speaker 5: Plus BUTA is the new avocado, which is really good because I don't like putting avocado on my hot cross bumps.
Speaker 4: And Trump is giving yet another estimate of when he thinks the US will leave the war in Iran. So why are political commentators in set for a Western countries really really annoyed.
Speaker 5: But first, in case you missed it, the clitterist has been mapped for the first time. There is a map of it and its complex tree branch like nerves. Too.
Speaker 3: Young Lee and a team of researchers in the.
Speaker 5: Netherlands have gone where no man has gone before to create a three D scan of the clitterists to tell us exactly how and where orgasms happen. It's only thirty years after scientists did the same thing for the penis, but you know, better late than never, as they say, at least it happened, right, Yes, oh.
Speaker 4: Yes, at least it happened. Just took you know, a few more decades. But when I saw the image of what this clitterist map.
Speaker 3: It looks a bit like a wishbone.
Speaker 4: It does, and it's kind of like you're trying to work out the bits that you know.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I might I recognize that bit. I don't recognize any of the other bits. But I thought it reminds me of whenever you get your pelvic floor described to you, the anatomy of your pelvic floor, and they try and say, think of it like a sling. No, that does not compute that I have a sling. No, And I thought the same thing when I saw the clitterist map.
Speaker 2: I thought, does not compute? Where that is where? You're wrong, You're.
Speaker 1: Wrong, You're wrong because I'm a gardener. Here it's a tree, it looks like a tree, it acts like a tree.
Speaker 2: But where where Look.
Speaker 1: Well, let's be clear, just because a map has been invented, let's not expect any male so we might be expecting to go near that area, are going to use the map, reading the map, admit that they might need a direction. That is not a thing that they will do. However, one of the things I found interesting in this is said that the clitteriss has been the least studied bit of the body for a very long time. And I was like, I reckon. A lot of women I know have been studying that pretty hard for a pretty long time. Work in Mum's the maths ain't mathin that was the cheery opening tile on an Instagram carousel as we call them in the business, which is like, you know, some slides in a row on Instagram from the ABC that was all about working mothers, working parents, the inequality between them when it comes to you know, everything, and how it's about to be the holidays and how the hell do we cope? Right, So they put this slide, these slides up that were about, you know this, many days of annual leave this, many days of school holidays? How do we do it? And they ended it on the chirpy note of so, how are mothers juggling it all? What are your tips for getting it all done? We'd love to hear from you. Leave your comments below. And what happened was a whole lot of women said, what are you talking about now? I want to be clear that we're not dissing. I'm not discing the ABC here. We work in digital media. We know how it works. The social media producer who put those slides together, she or he probably missed the tone. As we would say in the industry, we'd say the tone was a bit wrong.
Speaker 3: But that is easy to do.
Speaker 1: We've done it a million times. Sometimes we do it on this show like it's not that somebody did a terrible job. The thing that's interesting is the unilateral rejection of the premise from the comments. Typical comments were when they said, what do you do? Your tips for getting it all done? Were we don't we aren't we're all completely burnt out. One of my particular favorites was try this for a life hack, cry in the shower when it all gets too much. You won't scare the kids and clean ups a breeze, plus an extra bonus of saving on tissues winning sarcasm, anger dejection Claire Stevens, Have we completely lost our sense of humor about about the tricky parts of being a working parent?
Speaker 4: The interesting thing about this post is that, and even I've seen some commentators who have analyzed it and kind of re tried to reframe what maybe they could have asked, And.
Speaker 2: Even when they do that, literally an.
Speaker 4: Overwhelming majority what was in this post was actually really good information about how it just as they say, the mats a mathim about how much parents are expected to work versus how much kids are in school, and there are hours of the day that are simply not able to be accounted.
Speaker 1: For because we're on the brink of Easter holidays. To make it clear, obviously, if you're a parent, you're probably very aware of this. If you're not, you're probably not. But parents, the ones who are responding to this post are facing down two weeks of oh my God, trying to divide their annual leave if they're in a couple, trying to rope in friends who'll have the kids some days, so you'll have their kids other days. A mixture of like after school campy kind of holiday camp stuff. But then who's picking them up and dropping them off. They are dealing with a logistical nightmare, and that is why they had no time for the cutesy math Saint math in line.
Speaker 2: But I loved the tone of responses on.
Speaker 4: This because I thought, this is why the kind of unilateral anger and saying yeah, it doesn't it doesn't work, and there's no tip.
Speaker 2: There's no like.
Speaker 4: Put your kids to bed in their school uniform, or there was one I really really felt for this earnest person who gave one good tip and they said toast.
Speaker 2: Is always an acceptable dinner.
Speaker 5: There was actually a second actual tip, which I think Holly wrote, which was I find night gardening help.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it definitely does, but it is That's a good point, Claire, because it isn't that long ago, and in fact, you know, years ago, I used to host a podcast for a while called I Don't Know How She Does It, and it was that whole premise of like busy moms hashtag busy mums sharing their tips literally, things like put your kids in their school uniform, things like spend all day Sunday prepping for lunch boxes, things like get up an hour before everybody else so that you can make sure that the you know, their school bags are hanging by the door with everything they need inside and.
Speaker 3: The word batch yes.
Speaker 1: So, and that kind of earnest advice just feels very out of fashion, don't you think it does? It does?
Speaker 4: And there was one comment that said, instead of better tips, we need better conditions.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if this.
Speaker 4: Has because I was trying to work out I was thinking about that podcast you hosted, Holly and how for a really long time that has been the conversation. I don't know how she does it, and really putting women up on a pedestal if they appear to be doing it all.
Speaker 1: And I'm thinking therefore that there are some women who are definitely doing it all and the rest of us are just getting it wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then I think the cost of living crisis has kind of taken the rose colored glasses off. People have realized the only people who appear to be doing it all are those with a lot of paid help and at which is becoming less and less possible for most families. So the sentiment was exactly the sentiment I feel when I speak to my friends. But I think it's actually quite rebellious from the sentiment we see online normally, because I usually feel ashamed as a mother online when I see all the things you are meant to be doing for a baby, a toddler, a primary school kid.
Speaker 2: And I kind of liked that it was. I hope that that.
Speaker 4: Shared emotion in the comments makes people feel less shame, because.
Speaker 2: Really we're all not doing well.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting that the guy shifted in that way.
Speaker 5: The Cut used to have a column too, called how I Get It Done, which typically featured successful, wealthy women who sometimes admitted to having paid her at home and sometimes didn't. But there was very much a sense of look up to these women aspire to be these women who are incredibly busy and yet somehow juggle it all effortslessly. And now we've talked about lean back culture and the idea of hustle being over, and I think now we don't glorify the idea that you can get it all done anymore.
Speaker 1: The problem is, though, isn't it is that whether or not it's cool to glorify it, most parents do have to get it all done, you know what I mean. This is what I've always hated, that kind of having it all, doing it all conversation, because it always makes us sound greedy, you know, almost like we want all the things and it's stressful having them, but we want them. Whereas the reality is that most parents in Australia, certainly the stats would say, I think seventy five percent of mothers work outside the home, and obviously there are a lot of women who don't, and that's also work. But it's not the preserve of a few strike saving ambitious people. It's just the reality of life, right, And so part of this has to be surely the other reason I think that maybe that stuff's gone out of fashion about like find a little hole, Heidi, hole way you put your kid's shoes so they're always there, and you know, cut the sandwiches into stars the night before at two am, and spend all night baking the gluten flea free flapjacks for the bake sale and all those kind of things. Why that's God is because there's also a bit of a recognized and you're right, Claire that Instagram culture hasn't caught up with this yet. But that do we have to do all that stuff? Do you know what I mean? That actually, maybe being a decent parent doesn't have to involve star shaped sandwiches and gluten free flapjacks, unless, of course, gluten free is essential.
Speaker 4: Yes, And the reality is a lot of us are feeling like we're struggling just to achieve in inverted commas, the bare minimum, like we like, I'm not at star sandwiches, I'm at like my child needs to be bathed and.
Speaker 5: Fed and ked because I think the microbiome it flourished.
Speaker 4: Actually actually great point, Matilda has a rash and the doctor says I'm watching her too much.
Speaker 2: That's how you get it all done.
Speaker 3: For the children, No more so.
Speaker 4: But I think this is also why it's genuinely bizarre when politics and it feels gas lighty when politicians like most recently we had a chat about this in the office the newly elected Leader of the Nationals, Matt Canavan, said we need more Australian babies and there are these fearmongering headlines about declining birth rates, as though women have become selfish and where responsible for the annihilation of the human race. And you look around and think, no, people just actually can't do this. But the thing that really got a lot of those commenters in that ABC post was the fact that that final side was towards mothers.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the slide literally said mothers, how do you get it all done?
Speaker 4: And it just I think the sentiment has really changed that this is a family issue, This is not for women, and it is so unfair that it is women's job to do all of the mental load and all of the maths about how it ain't mathing and a man is okay to just continue his career in his life. That would have you always had.
Speaker 5: It would have been so subversive for that post to say on the last slide, father's how do you get it all done?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, gosh, I would love that.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting for the day that that's what the post says. In a moment, we look for nuggets in the big pile of shit which is Trump and Iran. Look unlike Amelia. It will shock you all to know I'm not an expert in foreign policy, but something I do like to credit myself with is having a broad sense of things. And among all the headlines right now, and there are more and more, literally by the minute, probably after we've recorded, there will be several more that we've missed. My sense about President Donald Trump and the devastating war in Iran is, Sir, you have behaved exactly like a toddler, and now the world is starting to treat you like one. Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, he was asked when will the US be gone and done with the war in Iran? And he said, I think we two or three weeks will leave because there's no reason for us to do this.
Speaker 1: Maybe he should have thought of that before. Theres no reason, just think just a crazy idea, maybe like a few weeks ago, five weeks ago.
Speaker 4: What on earth who said we'll be leaving very soon. It's literally someone walking into a room destroying everyone's toys and then shrugging their shoulders and walking out.
Speaker 2: But it's worse than that, because there's the question of how.
Speaker 4: Like the world deals with the fallout of the destruction he's caused. But Trump has a solution, so don't worry about that, he said. He's told other countries which refuse to get involved in the decapitation of Iran and need jet fuel to build up some delayed courage, go to the Strait of Humus and just take it. You will have to start learning how to fight for yourself. He said, the USA won't be there to help you anymore, just like you weren't there for us. What his attitude now is that reopening the Strait of Humors isn't his responsibility, but definitely is the responsibility of the countries who had no involvement in starting the.
Speaker 2: War that led to it being closed.
Speaker 4: He also says he doesn't really think about reopening the strait, It's just not something that really crosses his mind.
Speaker 3: I think that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm like, thanks for being honest. That's really helpful and you won't believe it. But this has left a lot of political commentators in Britain, for example, furious. One Times journalist said, well, thanks a lot, Donald, just great, And I think that really sums it up.
Speaker 5: The reason I love that is because he he apparently hates people using his first name. He really doesn't like the name Donald, so we should probably all just start referring to him as Donald not Trump.
Speaker 3: But it is.
Speaker 2: When you're in trouble, you need your full name, Donald.
Speaker 3: Donald Reginald Trump, the third.
Speaker 2: That's not his name, you do.
Speaker 4: Even the Pope has said, I'm told that President Trump has recently stated that he would like.
Speaker 2: To end the war. Hopefully he's looking for an off ramp. Emilia.
Speaker 5: I love that that Pope pretends he's non American. He's like, I don't know her, he's Mariah Carey.
Speaker 4: In the meme, Amelia, you're worried about Trump finding the off ramp because he's currently having issues with exits at the moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just loving the news yesterday that his plans for the White House ballroom. First of all, architects looked at them and said, there isn't a door, there's no entrance, the stairs lay to nowhere, and the giant columns that you want will block the view from the inside. And then a judge said, you don't own the White House, you rent it. You don't get to build your ballroom here after all. So I think there's just going to be a giant pile of rubble where the east wing of the White House once stood.
Speaker 4: There's an image of that, and I'm like that image is his date of mind. Yeah, and like if you project that image onto everything that he does, it's really a visual representation of the chaos.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, look, the reason why we wanted to talk about this today is because this war and its effects at the petrol pump and on our anxiety levels and all around the world are really profound, and we had to find a way to talk about it on the show. And the message that I want to get across to people is that if you think that this doesn't make sense, and if you think that this makes you want to scream and cry in the shower, that's because it doesn't make sense, and it is something that makes most people who've spent a modercome of time thinking about it, it does make them want to scream. I'm not trivializing the effects of it the way, because the costs that he's inflicting on the world go way beyond the petrol prices, which in themselves are incredibly profound, particularly for Australians and regional areas or Australians who work on farms. There's really profun effects here in Australia. But in addition to that, there's one hundred and sixty eight students who were killed in an Iranian school. There are the people in the Golf States who are sheltering from Iranian drone attacks, Israel's intensifying war in Lebanon. There are crops that won't grow, there's humanitarian assistants that won't get through because the strait is effectively closed. There are some really dire consequences of this. But at the same time, I don't want anyone to think that because the consequence is a dire Trump himself had any kind of serious intentions or plan when he went in here. He did not have a plan. Just on the way in here, someone in the office said to me, did he do this because he has the Venezuela oil and now he wants more oil? And I just said, no, No, he's forgotten about It's.
Speaker 1: Really hard, big A Melia, because I sit next to Milia in the office, and basically what she has to say to me twenty five times a day when I'm asking her questions about the world is stop trying to make it make sense. Yeah, because I'm always saying but why, but why? And you and I actually find this profoundly useful when you say that when You're like, that's not what's going on here. It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 5: He has some really big toys at his disposal, which is the US military, the world's biggest military, and right now he is sending more troops to Iran. So the idea that he wants the war to end, sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. He certainly says that he wants to negotiate. The problem is that then he says he doesn't care what the Iranians have to say, and the Iranians themselves are not ready to negotiate. He has started a war with someone who might not want to end the war when he wants to end the war. So I think we just have to divorce ourselves from what Donald says and keep watching closely what he does.
Speaker 1: Hmm, that's really good advice. Here's another thing I don't understand. Make it make sense evenough I know it doesn't. Wasn't one of his big things like no more wars. No, No, We're not sending any Americans into those conflicts overseas anymore. And the mega people all feel that quite strongly, don't they. So that also doesn't make sense.
Speaker 5: And look, that's I think if we're looking for sort of a way out of this, because I know the question that you have, Holly, in which I haven't, which everyone has, is when will this end?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Sorry, I just shook the table. When will descend?
Speaker 5: And one factor I think that is pushing Trump to find that off ramp. Donald, sorry, pushing Donald to find that off ramp is the domestic political pressure is rising. People do not like paying more for petrol, and they are now paying more than they have since twenty twenty two. They don't like the idea of American service members caught in a foreign war. His approval as sunk into the thirties. That's not good. He has an election in November, the midterm elections. And there was this great, fascinating article in the Atlantic this week, right Claire, about how the manisphere is turning on him now exactly.
Speaker 4: It was by Elaine Godfrey, and the article referred to that meme that everybody's probably seen at different points in the last few years, but it's.
Speaker 2: Very relevant now.
Speaker 4: And it's the one with a photo of a very serious looking white man and the headline is heartbreaking. The worst person you know just made a great point, and it's about Godfrey writes about how the manisphere have turned against Trump and while it's annoying because it was this not necessarily republican but anti establishment, anti woke crowd that actively pushed for his second term and probably made a massive difference in how the election turned out, they are losing faith. She references a recent episode of The Flagrant podcast hosted by Andrew Schultz where they have a debate about manscaping methods. First, so I think that's important to know the context. And then it's not about the glitterorist map's interesting. Manscaping is all the craze and they have.
Speaker 1: A downloadable pdffort. I'm sure they're very concerned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then Schultz leans back and says, are you guys, like, do you feel existential anxiety about the war?
Speaker 1: This is like that moment in Barbie? Do you ever think about diet?
Speaker 2: And he goes.
Speaker 4: He says later, Americans can't fucking afford healthcare. They don't care about what's happening in Iran. He also said, naturally, Americans are furious about it, right because we're.
Speaker 2: Like, how the fuck does it benefit me?
Speaker 4: I can't afford to pay for college, I can't buy a home I can't pay for health insurance, and we're going to spend billions of dollars in a war in a country I can't even point to on a map, and it's like Andrew Loan your geography. But Joe Rogan also complained that Trump's moves in Iran are so insane based on what he ran on and he said this week that MAGA is a movement of a bunch of fucking dorks. And so I think that it's interesting to see this sway. And the theory that Godfrey puts forward in the article is that when it's time to vote in the midterms, these kinds of Americans, no one's expecting them to have swayed Democrat, but they are likely to just stay home. And maybe that's a bit of a silver lining.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm going to bring a couple more hope punky things because I think that hope punk is trying to write again. It's trying like hope punk, which is the idea, you know that the most radical thing you can be is hopeful in a world like this, and I feel like the hope punk's like trying to get on the charging horses. They're like trying to get.
Speaker 3: Their foot over them. They're like, come on, get it out.
Speaker 1: Let's go through. In Britain and all over America and all over the world. In fact, there were lots of massive protests on the weekend, mostly very peaceful, no King's protests as they call it in Britain. It was against the rise of the far right Britain, which is a very real thing. And the slogan, which I think is really clunky and it might need some work, but that the progressive left trying to bring to these protests is make hope normal again, which I don't know.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have quite but I totally.
Speaker 1: Get what they mean. They're like, the norm has become to be incredibly for very good reason, to be incredibly nihilistic and gloomy about everything, and they're trying to be like, let's make it. Let's make it normal again, to think, well, maybe we can pull this back, maybe we can make a difference, maybe community intervention will really help all those things. One of the knock ons of this crisis has been in Australia at least that searches an interest in evs and solar panels and all those things have searched massively one hundred and twenty percent increase on searches for whether or not you can buy an ev on whether or not you should put solar on your roof. So it could be this, this thing, which may be a serious crisis and maybe a short term panic, might be one of the things that pushes us to realize that it's not just good for the environment but good for our back pockets, which is often how we actually make that decisions.
Speaker 5: I think that's a really interesting point, and it makes me think that how COVID kind of reset what we think the workplace needs to look like for many people. Obviously not for all people, but for particular sectors. I wonder if this crisis will reset the global dependence on oil because we realized that we don't want that to happen again.
Speaker 2: Trump's been the unlikely trigger for focus on renewables, and I didn't see that coming.
Speaker 1: Neither did he.
Speaker 2: As we know.
Speaker 1: The motto of.
Speaker 5: This segment, So we hope this has been useful in conveying that there's no answer to why. There's no single answer to why or what the ground strategy is behind what Trump is doing.
Speaker 3: That said, there.
Speaker 5: Are two announcements to watch in the next twenty four hours, which might give us a clue as to where things are headed. The first is that Donald Trump is giving an address to Americans on Wednesday evening in DC, that is Thursday morning Australian Eastern. He could be escalating things in the region, he could be de escalating. We just don't know what he'll be saying in that. And then tonight at seven Anthony Albanesi will be addressing Australians or we know for sure is that he's going to be talking about the war and the fuel crisis. Just for context, the last two occasions for addresses like this to the nation were COVID and the GFCS. So I do think that it is worth watching this carefully after the break apparently but as a health food.
Speaker 3: Now, I've got.
Speaker 1: Some exciting news from China. Apparently gen Z's all over their social media and their massive social media networks in China, one's called Red Note, ones called Waibo have all been changing their profile pictures to one woman, Chris Jenna.
Speaker 2: Here is.
Speaker 1: His Chinese TikToker Marcella Wang explaining why gen.
Speaker 6: Z unread, notably by using Christianner as their profile picture, can bring good luck, career, success, wealth and confidence all coming your way because Christianner is one of the hardest working businesswomen in the US, and Chinese people really respect hard work, so cosplay Christianner is like a gen Z funny way to manifest success.
Speaker 1: He went on to say that there are people who if you look at these social media sites, just loads and loads of different pictures of Christianna, and some people have aied her into their work outface. So there's like Christian is a doctor, Christian is a lawyer, Christian is a construction worker, Christians engineer. And they've said things like I was literally about to have a mental breakdown last night, but I changed my profile pick to Christianna and now I feel like I can slay. My confidence is through the roof. And someone else said, I changed my profile picture to Christianna and I got two jobs off as a media I am trying it right now, is Christianny, You're manifesting success manifestation model Claire.
Speaker 4: When I think about visualizing manifestation, you know, you create your own reality.
Speaker 2: All of that stuff.
Speaker 4: I mean, Chris Jennal wasn't immediately where my mind went, But now that you say it, you know, big, audacious goals, seems to reach them. She real she really shoots for a lot of things, and some of them really land.
Speaker 2: And I find do I find that inspiring? Not really, But I think I'm really glad that people are finding her to be an unlikely here.
Speaker 5: She might wind up being the most enduring of the Kardashians. Don't you think there's something purely iconic about her at this point in a way where the other Kardashians heyprogenies, fortunes, wax and weighing a little bit, but Chris endures. You may have noticed that butter is on everything these days. Sydney's royle is to show you can even get a butter dipped soft serve, and the Guardian writer went to describe it and described it as a textural roller coaster. They did note that the butter doesn't melt at the same speed as the ice cream, and so you end up with all these chewy chunks.
Speaker 4: I really hate, I really hate this idea, because if it's butter dipped, does that mean the butter is like all melted, like yeah, like liquid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's liquid butter.
Speaker 5: And then the writer also said that there's some cognitive dissonance when you eat this soft serve because you keep thinking it's a chop top, like you keep thinking that the butter will shatter in a crispy way, but it's butter, so it never shatters.
Speaker 3: It just kind of oozes.
Speaker 2: It's so much dairy.
Speaker 3: Well, perhaps it's.
Speaker 5: A good thing that butter dip soft serve is not that delicious, because by all accounts, it's not very good for you. Oh, there are approximately ten to seventeen grams of saturated fat in one butter dip soft and the National Public Health Information Service says you should only really have.
Speaker 3: About twenty to twenty five grams of saturated fat a day, so it's basically almost all your saturated fat in one soft serve.
Speaker 1: But Amelia, there are so many TikTokers telling me that saturated fatty that's true.
Speaker 4: It would be wrong with just eating one and a half butter stipped soft serves and that's a whole intake for the day.
Speaker 5: I don't understand you, so absolutely nothing. Chris Joanna would probably do the same thing. There are people who have now become convinced that butter is a health food. So The Cut reported on this Instagram trend where parents are giving their babies just whole sticks of butter as a snack and you can watch videos of the kid just eating the butter. And then there was one for older kids. Holly, this could work for your family. After dinner, one mother cuts up slabs of butter and she shouts to her older kids in this instagram, come get your snack.
Speaker 1: I love butter, A love butter, and but the my my twisted inner toxic diet culture goblin who was forged in the fires of Generation X diet culture could never like I could never. But what I thought was interesting when I was reading all these things about the influencers were saying that butter just eat loads and loads of butter. Is there's always one grain of truth in the in the wellness information, isn't that? Which is somebody says eating more butter can cure depression.
Speaker 3: Absolutely yes it can.
Speaker 1: Have you ever met a hot Cross bun dripping with butter? You will be happier as soon as you eat it, So that's clearly a proven health health improvement.
Speaker 5: It's funny you should mention the hot cross bunds because TikTok experts are claiming that everyone is eating their hot cross buns wrong. You're meant to cut them, they say, in three into essentially three slices of hot cross bun, like horizontally horizontally, And that's because, well, I don't know what horizontally. So you don't mean like, get a hot cross bun and just cut it into three pieces. You mean hold it on its edge and slice it into three circles.
Speaker 3: Correct, three circles.
Speaker 5: And they say that's because you're allowing for more surface area for the butter. But then my question is, isn't that just raisin toasty? And I know that neither of you want us to talk about this topic. Holy you really looked uncomfortable when I raised it and insisted on talking about it today, probably for gen next reason.
Speaker 3: Probably Claire, I know you didn't want.
Speaker 5: To talk about it because one time I walked into the kitchen and you had done a horrifying thing with your snack.
Speaker 2: It really upsets everyone.
Speaker 4: So the thing is that I don't like butter, but more specifically I don't like butter sush. I can't eat butter when I can see it, so on toast, et cetera, because is literally my worst nime.
Speaker 2: I would just gag. The idea of it makes me gag because I think I think it's because.
Speaker 4: When I threw up my nan whenever she made us toast or sandwiches or whatever, you should have seen it.
Speaker 2: It was just chunks.
Speaker 1: Because Irish background, right, yes, and Irish people love but generalization. But it's carry gold like it's yeah, butter is a thing.
Speaker 2: Butter and salt. She used to put salt on.
Speaker 1: It, which those are the those are the two. Every chef will tell you that the two secrets. Speaking anything tastes good of fat and salt, Fat and salt. So she knew that she was really Michel.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: But I remember biting into into a sandwich and just gagging because there was that just the biggest chunk of butter. And I feel like this is it is like a generation, like the amount of the amount of butter.
Speaker 2: They went over the top.
Speaker 5: And this is a lot of throat clearing to explain that you eat your vegement toast without butter on it.
Speaker 4: Correct inside vegi might toast and like quite a bit of vegimite, Like like I.
Speaker 5: Like you said that Donald Trump was like not thinking straight.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you it's.
Speaker 1: Got to have you see somebody. I heard somebody say this recently. I think it was an Irish person. In fact, crumpet's are one. I love a crumpet, but you have to have so much butter.
Speaker 2: On that to sink into the hole and it sinks in.
Speaker 1: And someone said you have to wait for the crumpet to weat itself. Well, the butter has to go all the way through so that it's like it's weed itself.
Speaker 6: I don't know the.
Speaker 5: History of the crumpet, but it strikes me something that was invented precisely just to provide more surface area for butter.
Speaker 6: A vehicle.
Speaker 5: We had English muffins or muffins as they're no one, and then someone came.
Speaker 3: Up with crumpet.
Speaker 4: They're like, because they're poorous, there are some food you need.
Speaker 1: The adoption a vehicle for butter, mashed potato vehicle for butter. That's that's the way it works.
Speaker 4: Let's be clear what they are doing on TikTok is not verified health information.
Speaker 2: So if you want to.
Speaker 4: Give your kid butter, that's fine, but I wouldn't say whole slabs. But I'm actually in in terms of the mums who are giving their babies sticks of butter. It did take me a little while to understand that just because I hate butter, it's cruel to not put butter on my daughter's food. And she loves if we go, if we've ever gone out to dinner, she gets the little thing of butter and just sticks her finger and it and eats it.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, no, I can't take that joy away from you.
Speaker 4: But it is true that between like, especially in the first few years of life, you need lots and lots and lots.
Speaker 2: Of fat for brain development.
Speaker 3: And not just brain development.
Speaker 5: There's a foundation that has pretty sure no scientific impact, but which is quoted a lot in these Instagram posts, the Western A Price Foundation. It suggests that babies who eat more butter are likely to have broad, handsome faces. I saw that who doesn't want a broad, handsome face.
Speaker 1: It definitely would be happier. As Persecure's depression angle from ear, I've seen I've seen influences walking down the street eating a stick of butter in New York City. You have on the internet, like not in real life, but like you know, it's a thing. It's a thing to be like literally eating a stick of butter like a chord, and I'm like, I love butter, not that as discussed, I couldn't possibly eat it. But that's not true.
Speaker 3: But you were edging off your chair when we were talking.
Speaker 1: About but the idea of it like walking down the street, like licking it like an ice cream just seems like stop.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I know we all need content, people, but we're just getting too far, too far.
Speaker 4: What I love is that it went like butter, and then everybody went, oh, you know what, avocados are much healthier fat, So where possible perhaps put avocado where you may have once put butter, And now everybody's chucking out avocado for butter. But this is why I I was thinking about this the other day because I really struggle with cooking with food, with what the hell I'm meant to eat at any given time, what you're meant to feed a kid, all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: And if you've got a really little baby.
Speaker 4: There are professionals who can talk to you about what to feed your baby. Probably don't get that advice from TikTok. This is the thing where in this moment of like, we're very into unprocessed foods are good because the processing and refined carbs and all of that was apparently very bad and so unprocessed foods unprocessed foods, but is largely unprocessed.
Speaker 2: But then it's also not good for cholesterol.
Speaker 1: I feel so sorry for like my very straight laced GP who's literally still sitting there advising people over forty like myself to be like, swap it for a low cholesterol spread. And then to me just like pulling out my phone and showing.
Speaker 5: For just whipping out a stick of butter and just chomping into it. Look, this is why I know. But it's very unprocessed and gives a broad handsome face. I think that. I think the Hot Cross funds. I'm putting it on a perhaps a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Process Yeah, that's actually knock yourself out.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 4: GPT did tell me if you're gonna have butter, don't have it with refined sugar such as pastries, And I'm like, but have you heard?
Speaker 2: Like, but what other context is there's a cross.
Speaker 1: It's made of butter, butter and butter, and that's why it's good.
Speaker 5: All I'm asking is you don't cut your hot Cross one in three no.
Speaker 1: No, ow, loudest thank you, as always for listening to the number one podcast in Australia. I'm going to ask you one more time at least a treat. Perhaps. You know we like chocolate egg. We also like a review rate and review five stars, preferably, not that I'm telling you to live your life anyway. We also want to remind you that if you want to become a subscriber, this is a really good time because.
Speaker 4: You get twenty five percent off an annual subscription until midnight tonight. Yes that's April one, and it's not an April Fools joke.
Speaker 2: You gotta take it seriously.
Speaker 1: It's just occurred to me that everyone's going to think that people eating sticks of butter is an April Fools It's not. It's real anyway. Sorry, I interrupted, and you.
Speaker 4: Get two extra episodes of Out Loud in your ears, and so you'll be getting out Loud five days a week.
Speaker 1: One more thing before we go. This is a long weekend. But on Friday you are getting your ordinary Friday episode because it might be good Friday, but we are bad. So we are giving you your usual show on Friday. And there'll be a little treating your feed on Monday and Chris Jenner works hard, but we working change your profile else. Yeah, Manifest working the long weekend. I know many of you will be. Thank you to our incredible team for putting this show together with such care as they always do.
Speaker 4: Bye Mummere acknowledges the traditional owners
Speaker 2: Of the land on which we recorded this podcast.