Speaker 1: The information in this podcast is provided for education and research information only. It is not a substitute for professional health advice.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Kick your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 1: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to.
Speaker 2: Be born and our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 1: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone. I'm Bridgid Maloney and.
Speaker 1: I'm obstetrician doctor Patrick Maloney.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to all our listeners. Thanks for joining us again, and also thank you to all our new listeners.
Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome aboard everybody.
Speaker 2: The best way if you're enjoying our podcast is to share it with a friend. Then you can talk about it together.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's how it gets around. Yeah, like all pregnancy stuff, word of mouth.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so word of mouth, isn't it. We know that people choose their care providers, their hospitals, prams all based on our friends recommendations so if you're really enjoying our podcast, we would appreciate it if you shared it with your friends as well.
Speaker 1: All right, today we're talking about the point end of labor, the pushing bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not going to do salt and pepper push it. That seems to come up every single time someone talks about pushing it above that. We're above that, you know, it's in the back of my brain there somewhere, all right, All right, good, So what we want you to go away with with this episode is basically to learn about, well, when does this happen in the labor because some people think that that's all labor's about, but you know, it's sort of only part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the TV bit, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of break your waters in the shops and water goes everywhere, and then you're pushing the next minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're pushing. So we want to talk about when that happens in your labor and what to expect, and we've got some tips for pushing.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: We want you to go away with at least three tips to help you in this part of your labor.
Speaker 1: Sounds good, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Pat, So I think let's start with what stage of labor is it time to push?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like this is it's a surprisingly complex question when you think that would be obvious the give or take the best time, you've got to be fully dilated, so the cervice has to be fully dilated, but there is some difference of opinion about what should happen after that. It's becoming much more accepted that in the setting of good progress and in the setting of a happy, healthy baby, that you don't start pushing the minute you have a vaginal examination and someone says, oh, you're fully dilated, to push baby at now, Because yeah, the cervix might be fully dilated, but the head might be very high, and it's an awful lot of work to push that head from right up high all the way out, And so a certain amount of time spent in what's collpacivescent, waiting for the uterus to push baby down a fair way down into the pelvis before you start the active pushing. Like the deliberate pushing is a great idea, and one of the main things that's going to help with is how long you have to push. For bearing in mind that very few people can push forever. It's hard work, and even a very fit athletic person is going to get worn out by the pushing process, and you might get to a point where you just can't manage an effective push anymore. And if the baby's still not out, then we're setting ourselves up for intervention in the form of vacuum or forces. So it's nice to start pushing when you've got a when you've got a fighting chance of having the baby all the way out before you get to exhaust it.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting that you start there, because when I was preparing for this podcast, my Google search brought me to a lot of American sites, and in the US for a lot of hospitals, as soon as it gets to ten as soon as someone gets to ten centimeters, there is the protocol to start getting them to push.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it. I think worldwide you probably you would probably find it. I don't know this for a fact, but you would probably find that an early pushing approach is most adopted in the countries that are most at home with intervention, because you're gonna wear some people out if you do that, Yeah, Whereas if you wait, Remember we're only waiting if it's safe to wait. We're we're waiting, well man, well wab We're going to wait a bit. And if we wait, the ideal amount of time to wait I think is und till the point This might take an hour or more until the point where the woman can't help it push.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They're the best ones. Yep, okay, And it's a bit it's a bit gross, but I say to people, it's like doing half a pooh. Right. Imagine I imagine if you were on the toilet and you did half a poo and someone told you you should stop now when it was only half out right, that would be that would be very difficult to do, right, and your body's going to get I don't think, so I'll just keep going. And that's where you want to get to where there's an overwhelming, irresistible urge to push, because I think they're the best ones. Yeah, And there's they require less active coaching because the woman goes, I know I'm supposed to put I kind I can't help it push. Yeah. And they come late in the piece, so that if you if you save your save your efforts for those ones, then you're more likely to have the power push a baby out before something happens that triggers an intervention and.
Speaker 2: You might get bragging rights. I pushed the baby out in two pushes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we try and avoid them.
Speaker 2: Brain, No, comparison itis is terrible. Don't listen to how long did it take people? I think that that is very different information than what I was reading. And in some hospitals, the protocol was I know that we're going to get into how long is too long to be pushing, But some hospitals were up to four hours. They would allow someone to push for four hours.
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, I think we suffer from a lack of real evidence here, but I don't think many people could push effectively for four hours. No, that is an awfully long time to do something as intense as trying to push baby. Yeah. And one thing, one point I'm trying to make is we're really talking about people having their first baby here. The pushing phase for second and subsequent babies is often very brief. Sometimes it's kind of absent, Okay, So that's very different when a baby has come down that path before.
Speaker 2: And I just want to point out that technically this is called second stage, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, from fully dilat until the baby's out.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people would like to know what is happening to the baby during pushing. Is it more of a stress on the baby during the pushing phase than the contraction phase.
Speaker 1: It's a potential stress on the baby just to be coming down the birth canal and just to be for example, squishing again, maybe squishing against the court. Whether or not it makes a difference to the babies well being if the woman is actively pushing or not, I don't think so, but there is something physiologically challenging for the baby just to just to be coming out and just to be being born, and just to be fairly squished by that point.
Speaker 2: As an obstetrician, can you pick the point when someone's going to push, like do they make different facial Yeah? So there describe it for.
Speaker 1: Us well experience people in the birthing space. You can hear it from the corridor, So there's a change in the pitch of the noise, and somebody four or five centimeters makes a different noise to somebody is fully dilated. There's an acute intensity to the discomfort and the pain felt by women at full diletation that changes the pitch of the noise that they make and so you can actually hear it before you're enter the room. And that's in particular if it's their second or subsequent baby, and it's and it hasn't crept up on them. They've gone from a labor that was just sort of cooking along to suddenly bang straight into the fully dilated, let's push this baby out phase, and they make a different sound, So that's number one. And then and then secondly, they will find it nearly impossible to get comfortable, so they'll dance around the better bit. And that's and that is related to the fact that if you've got a head that's about to come out, it is almost technically impossible to be comfortable in the absence of an epidural, So they'll dance around the better bit. And then if you see somebody start to push all by themselves without being coached during a painful contraction, which you can sometimes see because the parent if you're watching that, the parente will start to bulge a bit and you think she's pushing without even anyone coaching. Yeah, terrific sign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I want to talk about coaching and spontaneous because I mean, gosh, that's everywhere, and there's a lot of people that are either put in either camp. You know, they're like, no coaching should be allowed, like everybody knows when their body is ready to push. And then there's other protocolized coaching. Yes, so let's talk about both of those things. So tell me what does coached pushing me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think coach pushing is pretty common, common for first timers, pretty common for epidural because sometimes those people really are ready to push their heads nicely down, long way down the service, fully dilated, and it really is time to push, but they're not feeling an overwhelming need urge to push sometimes until right at the end of the head's just about out. So coaching for some people really helps them focus. So painful contraction starts up. Will you coach the woman to take a big breath in, put a gin down towards her chest, and push firmly down towards her bottom, And you tend to be able to push for about fifteen seconds doing that, and then you're out of breath. Quickly let it go, take another breath and do the same thing again, so that you can get two or three cycles of that per contraction. So that's the most common form of coached pushing, and some people respond very well to that. Other people don't respond to that at all and actually want to be going internally in their mind into a near meditative or hypnotic state of inner peace in an attempt to remain internally focused and try and disregard the pain. And those people won't tell you they want to be coached out loud, but they might want something as simple as a rub to their lower back or a hold of their hand, and they've got it internally.
Speaker 2: And do most people have any idea how that pushing phase what they might want before then, or do they sort of come up with it and tell you to shut up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Some people have firm ideas when they're pregnant about how they want that bit to go. But surely you have to experience it to really know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and do you what's your preference?
Speaker 1: What do you do? I'm very happy to coach people who want to be coached. Sometimes people politely say no, no, I don't need that. I'm just I'm going internally here. Yeah, and I want you to speak up if you're worried about something, fine, but I don't mind doing the coaching. Yeah, I'm smiling because I had a patient a few years ago whose husband was a coach. He was a motivation coach and a personal trainer, and he was unbelievable. It was just awesome. Yeah, because he had absolutely no shyness about about, you know, taking over the room and saying why do you good? Okay, here comes another one, Bang, let's go, and the big voice and everything, which sometimes people get funny about, but because that's what he did for a living, get people off there, button exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and presumably maybe his partner exercised with him and was kind of used to his coaching method or whatever.
Speaker 1: Totally fine. Yeah, it worked for them, and I think that's the point that we do what works for people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that is the point because being militant about whether as a birth provider, whether someone should be coached or should be having spontaneous pushing, that's sort of not up to them, is it. It's up to the person who's doing the pushing.
Speaker 1: Of course. Yeah. Of course, we don't know for a fact that coaching works better than non coaching, So it's not like we've got evidence that the strong evidence that it helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you talked about epidural Can we just flesh that out a little bit, yep, because that is a bit different, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It is. If you've got a really strong you may not get an early urge to push, and in fact, you may not get an urge to push at all, and you may not get an urge to push until the head is like literally half out. So that's a downside of epidurals is that it might lead the push phase to be a bit less efficient. We don't think that that necessarily leads to problems, but it can lead to somebody who's fully dilated, their heads very close to out and they're like, when should I push? So I think that person would really benefit from coach pushing because we can often if they're completely pain free, because their EPI is very dense, very effective, then we can watch the watch the fiddle heart rate manta, the line that observes the contractions, tell that woman when there's a contraction and get her to start pushing. And it's cool to watch because eventually she'll she'll push because she's been coached to push, But then a point comes where she goes, oh okay, fine, I can feel at it's very common for an epidural to actually blockle all the pain, and eventually the head will come down so far that the pain comes back, and then she goes, oh, okay, okay, now I want her to push, And that's a good moment, right because that because you know, you close home. Yeah, And speaking of close to home, the other thing that you can see when someone's pushing like a champion is the is the aanus will open and sometimes a bow motion will come out. And people get super worried that that's going to happen and that they will be embarrassed by that or something. But your key gives will never be happier than when that happens, because it means that the head's about to come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not room for both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that's right. So and it's it's not you're not having a bow motion in the usual way. What's happening is that is the baby's heads pushing against the bow and causing it to open. Yeah, and that means you're nearly there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And sometimes you won't even know that that's happened like that, we're pretty discretable, very discreted. It whipped away and there we go and can you now describe the different positions that you've seen women get into two push.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, this is a personal preference situation, and there is not, to the best of mine, powerful evidence about what's the best one. But anywhere from on your back to on your back with your legs in the air, to on your side, to standing up to squatting, they're all a matter of personal preference.
Speaker 2: One on, one knee, one leg extended, like, there's just every every variety whatever, and it's up to the care giver, to the birth provider to manage that because I would imagine you end up being a bit like an acrobat.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that I hope there aren't too many institutions worldwide who are trying to limit this for people. But one of the problems, one of the things we do like to sort of take care of in hospitals is the health and safety of the people who work there. So what we're looking for, if possible, is, for example, if someone wants to give birth in a squatting position, then we tend to put a bunch of mats around, so not only is the woman standing on a soft mat, but the caregivers can get down on the ground, Yeah, and help her with easing the head out, supporting the peraneum with crowning. And if you're going to do that, then you need to be down there near the ground where the baby's going to come out.
Speaker 2: Can we talk a little bit about when the head is actually on view and the ring of five people talk about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a very unpleasant sensation of burning that happens when the skin around the vaginal opening is really stretched as the head crowns up. And what we're kind of looking for at that stage is that the head will crown up slowly. And I always say to be what we're trying to do here is ease the head out, not blasted out. Okay, blasting the head out is sometimes the result of an irresistible urge to push. Can't help it, push really hard, bang, head shoots out in one go and there's a bigger tear. And there's actually quite good evidence that supporting the paranem helps with tearing, so that if we have an obstetric caregiver helping to support that perineal tissue between the vagina and the anus by giving it a little pinch between thumb and fingers, that we can support that tissue and help the head slowly ease out rather than blast out and cause a tear.
Speaker 2: So you're pushing, pushing, pushing all you might, but once you get to that stage, you're breathing your book.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there's a few techniques there isn't there. There's the toff and puff method because it's hard to really push down for firmly towards your anus if you haven't closed. Your glottis in your throat. So so the most effective way to push down, imagine trying to do the World's biguse poo is we close. I've got a script, and it's hard to do that if you're also going yeah. So that the idea is not that the huffing puffing really does anything. It just stops you pushing so hard. Ah yeah, radio, So that is a technique. And the other is just to say, Okay, I want you to push, but you gotta wind it back. I want to show me a fifty percent push, Yeah, show me a twenty percent push.
Speaker 2: And things to expect is that the team might have like a warm flannel on your paraneum yep, just to help with that hearing as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right, right, at the end, let's talk about prolonged pushing, because you know, we've talked about pushing a baby out, but we haven't really talked about.
Speaker 2: How long is too long? Yeah, and what are the dangers of pushing for too long?
Speaker 1: There are some dangers in being fully dilated for too long, but they apply to being fully dilated to very long. So if we look across the developing world today in twenty twenty five, in communities where women don't have access to expert obstetric care, there's still a phenomenon of getting to fully dilated, can't push the baby out. Powers is now baby's in a bad position, babies too big, and then without an expert intervention, that baby sits there for hours, days, weeks, baby dies. Women develops some obstetric fistula, so the pressure of the head in the pelvis means that blood can't get down to the vaginal and perennial structures, and it might be able to get in under arterial pressure, but it can't get out under venice pressure, and that tissue becomes necrotic, breaks down, and the tissue dies. Are causing an abnormal tract between the woman's bladder and vagina or balance vagina, and this is still a problem in the developing world. In developed countries, the issue is not that when not we wouldn't sit around till anything like that happened. The problem is more that we've only got so much pushing power, and that if we've been pushing for so long, it's very likely that they're getting less effective as we go along, and the chances of us getting over the line for an unassisted vaginal birth are going up. Sorry, the chances of us getting over the line for an unassisted vaginal birth are going down. The longer we wait. They's tending to think, oh, for wait a bit longer, I'll get there. No, there's a point where you're actually less likely to get there by waiting, because that any contractions after that point are quite ineffective. So that's led to this idea of there being time limits at full dialtation. They have to be interpreted interpreted with some some caution and with flexibility. You might have somebody who's been fully dilated for three hours, but it's still quite obviously pushing extremely well. Well, if the woman's well and the babies well, can't see the harm and keep going. But you might come in and someone saying I just I cannot push anymore. And so in broad terms, people tend to push pretty well for about two hours, and sometimes it's necessary to push for an additional hour if there's an epidural because of that issue with the epidural taking away some of the urgency to push. So does it mean you freak out and get the forceps out of that when the time move it's up. No, it just means that we move towards a model where we might go, where we might ease away from doing nothing, towards considering doing something. Make some funt calls, make sure there's someone in the room with the expertise to intervene if necessary.
Speaker 2: You can talk saying that you've got the ability to sort of make those decisions. But there are some hospitals that are heavily protocolized about time of pushing.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think think they're probably hospitals in the developed world where they're more they're very comfortable with intervention.
Speaker 2: So again it might be worthwhile just asking that question.
Speaker 1: What would happen in this situation? Yeah, yeah, that scenario that I just described is really one where the baby as well. If we run into a situation where woman's been pushing for two and a half hours and now the baby is showing on monitoring the field heart rate or listening to the fieldal heart rate that there are distinct decelerations in the field heart rate with every contraction that are starting to take a long time to recover. That's a baby that is struggling to manage physiologically with the last bit of the labor and that's an indication for intervention.
Speaker 2: Is there also an indication for intervention because you're trying to prevent prolapse helvi golgen prolapse then or future?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good question. Women who've had prolonged second stages are potentially at higher risk or developing pervict corgan prolapse and needing surgery for that later on. It's a little hard to know sometimes whether the problem with the pervic floor was created by the prolonged pushing or created by the passage of the large baby yeah, chicken or the egg which actually did the harm. And probably if we look at someone who needs prolapse surgery in their forties and we look back at their obstetric history, we'll more commonly see things like a baby that came out op so looking up instead of down, or a baby that was more than four and a half kilos, or one or two babies that required forceps. Those things are more likely to appear in that woman's obstetric history rather than just prolonged second stage.
Speaker 2: Yep, we don't want to put people off pushing. Now. We promised people three of your top tips far away. Good, Okay, what's your number one.
Speaker 1: I think that if you are pushing coach or actively pushing coached, or otherwise, there's a I have noticed without formal evidence, this is a experience that a good technique is to wait for the contraction to start and be established, let it ramp up a little bit, take a big breath in, put your chin down towards your chest, and push firmly down towards your backside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because sometimes you've come home and you've said, yeah, I just I want to tell people that effective pushing isn't going.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, So that's true. I mean, you can make as much noise as you want, but if you're making a lot of noise, you can't also be doing that technique.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't mean about the noise. I meant, like, you know, making the noises if you're pushing, but actually nothing's actually concentrated down at your belly.
Speaker 1: Level, So just making the noise isn't enough, And in fact, really really good pushing makes less noise because you're push the power down. Yeah with the goddess closed. Yeah okay, so so that so that's number one. That that's a a technique that I've seen time and time again to be quite effective for pushing.
Speaker 2: All right, what's your second tip?
Speaker 1: Ah that if you that if you're going to have coached pushing and you want your team, your support people, your partner, whoever's there as part of that, word them up first, go to the classes, work out how to do it, and let that person have the confidence to talk them, to talk you through it, to count them down with you, whatever, whatever you want. But work on that support person's confidence to really own that role.
Speaker 2: And find out if that person who's pushing things that actually she wants something different. She doesn't want a coached pushing stage. What does she want.
Speaker 1: The person who's doing the coaching needs to be open minded to the fact that the plan might change. Yeah. Okay, so first tier, you don't know exactly how much got hurt and you might change your mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just don't be a deer in a headlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well exactly, yeah, that's exactly right. So your job is there as a support and encouragement person, and it's important to own that role, step up and do it. Yeah, even though you're in a weird situation and there's you're in a hospital and people are around and you feel like you can't have an active role in that situation. The challenge is to still is to do it anyway.
Speaker 2: And I reckon one of our my tips is with that support person, work on what words of encouragement you want to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I mean not that you ever say this to me, but I can't stand being told I'm a good girl and you know you've done something, Oh good girl.
Speaker 1: It's like oh yes, but no, yeah, this is a job for a woman.
Speaker 2: This is a woman's Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It might be like you're doing so well, you're nearly there, You've got this. Gosh, you're strong, like I can see you're working so hard, whatever it is, But work on those words of encouragement together beforehand, because you might just be repeatedly saying something that your partner are saying would you shut up in her brain? And she doesn't need that, she needs you to be sort of helping her.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And then I guess the third one is changing position. So if you've been pushing for a while, it really doesn't doesn't feel to you like that is working like that, that that those pushes are effective. Then maybe you know that they're ineffective. Then maybe they're Maybe they are ineffective. Maybe you're really not in a great position. And sometimes we'll see somebody change over to all fours or something like that and suddenly, bang, it's much better. Just that they just have more of a knack of automatically naturally pushing in that different position. So definitely like that. And then when we're right at the business end and that the heads crowning, a tip is being being open to paraneal support.
Speaker 2: That's four tips. Okay, you've got four tips people.
Speaker 1: Being open to paraneal support.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's good evidence that paranoral support reduces nasty tears.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, everyone, I hope that's given you enough information to.
Speaker 1: Push like champions on.
Speaker 2: No one's watching, everyone will be watching. No, No, you've got it, you've got it. If you have the ability and the power to push your baby out.
Speaker 1: Those tips are useful and some things that I've seen work very well in the past. H and thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: If you like our information, you want more, We've got our free newsletter. Jump onto our website which is grow mybaby dot com dot au and you can sign up for our free newsletter which just gives you weekly tips that mirrors your whole pregnancy. Really useful.
Speaker 1: Sounds good?
Speaker 2: All right, have a great week. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, everybody, Bye and our