Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to MoMA Mia out loud.
Speaker 2: It's what women are actually talking about on Wednesday, the twelfth of August.
Speaker 1: I'm Holly Wayne Wright, I'm emm Vernon.
Speaker 3: I'm Amelia Lester.
Speaker 1: And here's what's on our agenda today. A famous politician is freezing her eggs and she's documenting her journey for us all to see.
Speaker 3: Plus the Brad Pitt profile which everyone is talking about and which we can't agree on.
Speaker 1: And another fucking woman. Am I right?
Speaker 2: That is the sentiment we are unpacking today from several troubling angles.
Speaker 1: But first, Amelia Lester.
Speaker 3: It's the census question getting every couple in Australia into a fight. Yes, yesterday it was Christmas for demographers. It was Census night in Australia and the government was stirring up shit with one question in particular, which asked, in the last week, did this person spend time doing unpaid domestic work for their household and if so, how much? How many couples do you think are doing the census together and getting into huge arguments about whether or not the other does more than five hours of household work in a week, said one TikTok This TikTok from Lucy Oco, I think captures the dynamic happening in many households across Australia perfectly.
Speaker 2: Now, this is the question that's getting everyone in Australia and it can end up in a fight, which I believe ours could.
Speaker 3: In the last week.
Speaker 1: Did Andrew spend time doing unpaid domestic work for their household?
Speaker 3: No? Yes, there's the options are no, yes, did listen?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Less than five hours?
Speaker 4: Yes, five to fourteen, yes, fifteen to twenty nine and yes thirty hours. Five for it?
Speaker 1: Fuck off?
Speaker 3: Come on, be truth be truthful.
Speaker 1: Well what do you do?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: I'm taking less than five.
Speaker 2: All the garden?
Speaker 1: Oh that's true, thank you. Okay, that's an off week.
Speaker 3: That's a rare week. Thanks be for real that she's the one filling it in.
Speaker 2: Well he just paces, just pacing around.
Speaker 3: Did this inspire any controversy in your house?
Speaker 2: Look? I saw it was funny because in my house I wasn't there right, So the census actually made me a bit sad because I'm a rule follower. Emma and I had this argument yesterday. I was like, you have to fill it in on Tuesday night, like it has to be about where you are on Tuesday night, right, which I was not at home with my family. I was alone in a cheap hotel room.
Speaker 3: The hotel do the sensors.
Speaker 2: So yes, the hotel handed everyone who checked in on Tuesday a census, and so I sat in my room. And this is by the Bible. I promise, I'm getting to your question. So yesterday I was saying to Am I feel a bit sad about that, and she was like, well, why didn't you just do it on the weekend.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you can't do that. You have to do it tonight, am I Right, Well, yeah, you you are right, because things could have changed between the weekend and Tuesday. I have a very, very like similar routine every single week. I knew I was going to be home on Tuesday, so I did my senses on the weekend in case I was out on Tuesday and I didn't want to come home and do the census. It doesn't matter anyway, Holly, because your senses is technically wrong because you're actually single according to this true, but that's another whole thing.
Speaker 2: It was wouldn't let me tick, de facto, It would only let me tick, never married.
Speaker 1: Was on the same page.
Speaker 3: Putting me in the end and never married did have a hint of judgment about it.
Speaker 1: Today it's never married loser.
Speaker 3: Which character.
Speaker 2: But back to your household, the housework questions, Amelia, which is what we're here to discuss. I think I know how many tense arguments that will have that will have kicked off. But today I messaged Brent and I said, what did you tick? And he said he ticked five hours? And I was like, you do way more than that. I must be with the only man in the.
Speaker 1: World who underestimates what he does.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you cook all the meals, you run around after those children. You're driving them here and doing them there, and cleaning up their mess and changing them Like.
Speaker 3: Brent will also probably tell you exactly how tall he is.
Speaker 1: True, so, but I can see this stirring up shit. Absolutely. He was probably also the only man in the household who was actually doing the sensors instead of just standing.
Speaker 3: Five to fourteen five to fourteen.
Speaker 1: I was like, you're doing the labor right now. US Congresswoman Alexandria Occasio Cortez, also known as AOC, has publicly revealed on social media that she's in the pro of phrasing her eggs, and she's also vlogging her journey and posting clips about it. Here's a little snippet.
Speaker 3: Hello, everyone, welcome to my cooking show today.
Speaker 5: Were making eggs.
Speaker 4: Pen the qcaps that occurs. So today is my first ultrasound. I don't want to say it's my first ultrasound overall. Basically, my first first ultrasound was my fertility check where they counted the number of follicles that I had. Now, when you go in to get your fertility.
Speaker 1: Checked, they do two things.
Speaker 4: They give you an ultrasound where they count the number of follicles that you have, and then they do blood work to test something known as your AMH level.
Speaker 1: So in the video, she's showing herself like taking injections. She's talking about the costing, and she's also referring to the broken US medical system. Later in an interview, she said that she she's doing this because she wanted to normalize conversations about fertility care, especially in the political environment right now. So she's also been doing these things like ask Me Anything. So she's doing a lot of content on this right She's doing these series on her Instagram stories, Ask me any things about the fertility freezing. And recently someone asked, overall are people behaving? And I want to play her response for you. This is what she said.
Speaker 5: Overall, people have been tremendously positive and supportive, and I've received messages from women, you know, girls as young as fifteen and women in their late seventies talking about how wonderful it's been to see. Of course, there are some people who are going to say their thing. There was one today that was harping about how old I am and whatever.
Speaker 1: And I find it very interesting because a.
Speaker 5: Lot of these people who pressure women into having kids at a young age or trying to create hysteria around being too old, et cetera. What they're trying to do is rush you into having a relationship with a loser.
Speaker 1: A AOC. So if you look at her Instagram right now, all like her content that she's making out all of these blogs about the processes of freezing at eggs. Alongside that she's answering all of these questions, she's going through procedures, she's talking about costing, and she also says that she's doing this even though she understands there is a political risk to doing it. Yeah, because she actually hasn't ruled out running for president either.
Speaker 2: That's what I want to hear from you on Amelia right, because we're gearing up for.
Speaker 1: Who's it going to be?
Speaker 2: The Democratic candidate? Who's it going to be? And her name is always in the hat? Yeah, and she's thirty six. I think, so she's finally old in because she was only twenty nine when she got elected and she be Kate. She was a big deal because she was well, another fucking woman to be talking about that.
Speaker 1: She's quite young, because I hear you have to be seventy to run for president.
Speaker 2: Is it interesting that she's decided to do this from a political person?
Speaker 3: So interesting? I think her superpower is that she is a politician who is also a normal person. She was a bartender when she ran for the House of Representatives. She represents a very smaller liberal seat in New York City, and she has kept her humanity even as she has now been in Congress for years, seven years. I remember early on she was talking on Instagram about her skincare routine back when, back at the start of COVID, when everyone was obsessed with skin care. She hopped on to answer some questions she'd gotten about her skincare routine. I love that, which I love because look, she's got to get up there in front of the public eye every single day and talk, and women are scrutinized for their appearance much more than men. And she was honest about what she did in order to feel confident in front of the camera. And then later on she led the charge for the regulations around sunscreen in the US to be changed because basically, long story short, the US looks at Australia with envy at all of our wonderful sunscreens and they wanted more sunscreens like Australia's, but they hadn't updated their regulations. That's a topic that's very important to young women. And she got on social and said, here's why we need to change our sunscreen regulations. And now she's taking us on the journey as a thirty six year old woman freezing her eggs, which I think is it is still quite a brave thing to do. I looked into freezing my eggs when I was a few years younger than her, many years ago now at this point, and it felt really like a secret that I didn't want to tell people. About I remember when I went to the appointment to see a doctor and I only told very few people in my social circle about it. There was a sense of, like, it's come to this about the whole thing. But she's so matter of fact about it. She's so I'm getting on with it.
Speaker 2: What I love about that. The beauty example that you gave as well is that these are areas that a previous generation of female politicians, and there weren't very many of them, let's be honest, would never because you had to be like, I'm just like a man.
Speaker 3: Hillary Clinton would literally never tell you about her skin carre it.
Speaker 1: But like I'm like a man, yeap, I just look like this.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to think about the fact that I but that my fertility is a thing. I don't want you to think about the fact that I have to spend longer than you do getting ready every morning. That if I'm talking about lipstick, that makes me frivolous and therefore you'll dismiss me. If I'm talking about fertility, it means, oh my god, she might have a baby. That means she couldn't possibly be president. Those were kind of really accepted rules for females stepping into big public arenas. And I bet that's why there was a little bit of me when I saw this, because it's only this week and it's got her a lot of attention, which she's a very smart communicator. To your point, Amelia, we've been talking about this a lot about politicians who understand how to use social media. She is absolutely one of those people. A little bit of my programming kind of went, oh, but you're going to give people a stick to beat you with metaphorically obviously, like in terms of well, you can't be president at the timing of this might all be you know what I mean, Like this makes you start going that way in the same way that I think I've probably internalized a lot of stuff about not talking too much about hormones, not talking too much about what mood swings to do with.
Speaker 1: Your what you always say to.
Speaker 2: Me, em I'm in my face, and I'm always like, sure, she's you don't want the men to think you can't. And that's just so interesting that my programming makes me kind of go, oh, I worry a bit about this, whereas her view is like.
Speaker 1: That's so super I don't have to pretend that I'm a dude. Yeah, I also thought the same when I first saw these videos. I was like, I feel like this could be harmful for her campaign. But then the other side of me is like, isn't that what we want from our politicians, Like we're always so angry that our politicians don't understand us because arre in this completely different bracket. But here she is actually doing what so many women are so sick about, like explaining about how the US medical system is broken, and so many women are saying that, and now she's actually going through the process and outlining everything and doing that for women. Like I'm like, this is exactly what we wanted our politicians to be doing, to be able to relate to the same things that we're doing as well.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. It also dovetails. It happens to dovetail with her political perspective, which is she is on the far left, the left to the far left of the US Democratic Party, which isn't especially far left by our standards, but which is standards, And one tenet of that part of the party is that they want public health care for everyone, which is obviously not something that exists in the US. So for her, to be freezing her eggs talking about how hard it is to navigate a healthcare system that is not freely accessible to everyone. It happens to dovetail with her political.
Speaker 2: Pup Anasinek would say, it doesn't happen to dovetail with her political platform. It's a very useful you know, we're living in an attention economy, right, it's a very useful spotlight to shine on that. The other thing that I think is interesting about this is there has also been a bit of pearl clutching about making egg freezing so such a mainstream idea in terms of that that kind of fertility treatment doesn't guarantee any success all of these things, and some people are very cynical that it just makes a lot of money for certain fertility organizations, fertility based organizations, well big fi yeah, what we might call big farma, And so is that Do you think there's a risk there too. Do you think that some people are going to be a bit mad with her about this from that perspective or do you think that's done?
Speaker 1: I think it's so done. Exactly what she says, like, she's not saying that she wants to have a baby right now, she just says that she wants to have that She's by freezing her egg She's saying she basically just wants to have that option if she wants to have kids.
Speaker 2: Is she opening a door for people to ask lots of questions about her private life? Because what I noticed was she was engaged and her fiance was quite like part of her campaigning and stuff, and one of the FoST Again, I'm admitting a lot of things I'm not proud of right now. One of the first things I thought when I saw this is I was like, Oh, I wonder if she's still with that guy. She's also accepting that people are going to talk about her private life, right and that so what.
Speaker 1: Well, I think she's getting ahead of it now by doing they ask me any things, and by having it on her own own social she's putting it out there without actually having to answer a questions she doesn't want to, basically saying that the reason people get so mad about women having children later in life, it's because they essentially want you to have kids with a loser. I love that life if we don't want to have kids with a loser. So if we freeze our eggs, now we could eventually have children on our own terms with whoever we want.
Speaker 3: There was actually Claudia Golden, who is this Nobel Prize winning economist, has recently published a paper that's really changing the conversation on this. She says that rather than put all the blame for the fertility crisis on women, men need to be better so that women want to have children with them. So that conversation is shifting, and as usual, AOC is riding the wave and is ahead of the pack in talking about it.
Speaker 2: When I interviewed Desindra Adun, we talked about that earlier this year.
Speaker 1: She and her memoir.
Speaker 2: She talked about how she found out she was pregnant with the same time she found out she was going to be Prime minister, and that those two things seemed like an enormous obvis were enormous life changing moments that were colliding. And there's an immediate argument of like, well, oh you can't, you can't do that, You can't do those two things at once.
Speaker 1: But she, I mean, I known New Zealand and America a very different places.
Speaker 2: But she proved that you can't very very with very different conversations about these things in different competing forces, the kind of working at it, but.
Speaker 1: She proved that you absolutely can.
Speaker 2: And whenever I think about that, I think that it's it was often seen as like, oh, you know, almost like a sad thing, but actually no man had ever achieved what she achieved. It makes her, in my mind, like a very impressive person that you could do those two things at once.
Speaker 1: Do you think if just Cinda r Dern did what AOC was doing and just said that before she was running for prime minister she was on a journey to appreciate actually was she was actually doing it? No, she didn't. If she announced it, do you think that would have impacted her?
Speaker 2: It's really interesting because she famously was put on the spot on a TV show about before she became having a about whether or not she was planning to have kids, and she was really furious about the question, and she was sort of not furious, but she made a point about that question being one that you wouldn't aim at a man. And that's the interesting truth is absolutely true, is that people don't ask men those questions, but also a bit of a willful like it is different because the men aren't going to be pregnant.
Speaker 3: I just hope that Barnaby Joyce is finding juggling true a young child and a political career. I hope he's doing okay and.
Speaker 1: A dog to talk allegedly.
Speaker 3: In a moment the celebrity profile, which we just can't agree on. I've got to be honest with you. So we have a slack channel at work where we post links of things that we might want to talk about on the show in and you're always you post some really good links in there. But you posted on on Monday that I just thought, I'm not going to read that, and I moved on with my day.
Speaker 1: I think next time you should literally comment not going to read.
Speaker 3: Just the emoji of the cross. It was a profile of Brad Pitt in the men's magazine Esquiet. Now, I'm sure a lot of listeners now are also thinking the exact same thing that I thought, which is, nope, not interested in moving on with my life. But then, as usual, am You've got your finger on the pulse, because then I kept hearing people talking about that profile, and even though I'm not at all interested in Brad Pitt and I am perhaps even repelled by him. Sorry, Holly, Once I read it, I actually couldn't stop thinking about it. I joined the crowd of people thinking and talking about this profile. It's called a Monday with Brad Pitt. And what's interesting about it is that it takes you on a bit of a journey, because at first you think it's just going to be another puff piece, another step in his image rehabilitation tour, because Angie and the kids don't talk to him anymore. It begins the sixty two year old has lived a singular life. He resides in the top one percent of the top one percent of all movie stars, not only today but ever, as measured by any metric you like, including intrigue. What does he have to say about it all? And you just read that and you think, I don't care what he has to say about it all?
Speaker 1: But you do care.
Speaker 3: I do care. And then you start reading and then you realize that this piece is the takedown that we've all been waiting for. Well, I think it's the takedown of Brad Pitt that we've all been waiting for. Holly is sitting here with her head in her hand, shaking her head.
Speaker 1: I don't think it is. Oh, what made you think it was? So?
Speaker 3: The big Newsworthy thing to come out of it is that he says that after seven years of being sober, he is now back on the wagon.
Speaker 1: It's not good.
Speaker 3: Which is not good That happened to commincide with a rather shocking revelation I think in page six this week that at Taylor Swift and Travis Kelsey's wedding he was seen drinking. So it does you're true.
Speaker 2: The reason that that is shocking, just for context, is that and he will get in a lot of trouble for that, I think because I've listened to his interview, for example, with Dax Shepherd, where they talk a lot about being in AA together. Yep, like he was quite seriously sober and identifying that way and part of that community, and now he's kind of like, oh, I just drink. Sometimes there will be parts of that community who are pretty pissed off about that situation.
Speaker 3: Here are some other points that made him, I think, look less than flattering. He spent several minutes in the profile looking for a pen.
Speaker 1: That part, for me was so sad because I can just imagine that because the reason why he was looking for a pen was because he wanted to get the journalist's email addresses, and then as he's looking for it, he's like, oh, I have something else to say, And then I can just imagine the journalist going Brad pittneily had my other dress. Know he's moved on.
Speaker 2: You were really upset by the vision of him cutting up cheese for their cheese.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, He's just so alone and lonely. And this is also why I think it didn't really feel like a takedown to me, although I am absolutely repulsed by him from this piece. I went into reading this profile and we're linking in the show notes if you want to read it hating Brad Pitt. Like I've just always never liked Brad Pitt never never have you seen Thomer and Louise? Yeah, But like I watched it when I was like twenty.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait is that gold or Yard.
Speaker 1: Ten years ago? I think I was like a bit old for it when I watched it for the first When I watched it for the first time, like I already understood what was going to happen. Everyone knows because people talk about telling me all the time. So it wasn't actually like spoiler alone. Yeah, I've changed it, Yeah, ride or Die. I was like, oh, I know, you know, I know what's going to happen. Okay, spoilers, I don't want to say it. They die. Okay. Also, you already knew what happened to Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: Ala knew if you watched that movie in situ, as in, when it came out, the world all just went who is that? Like one big intake breath. And that's not the context.
Speaker 1: I learned about him literally from my mum about talking about the the Jennifer Aniston thing, and then I was like, I love friends, so I love Jennifer Aniston, so I hate Brad Pitt. So that's always been my thing. I hate Brad Pitt.
Speaker 3: Is this like a bedtime story being told to jen It's like gun around. He was a princess of Hollywood called Jennifer.
Speaker 1: And everyone hates him. So I went into reading this piece hating Brad Pitt, and I came out from reading it feeling sorry for Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: That's the strategy. So this is why this is not a takedown. This is the sad Brad strategy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He's so sad, Holly, Brad Pitt is living as he says. The Journal says in the beginning of this the most extraordinary life. He is richer than God. His career has never been better. He gets to do whatever he wants. He's dating a gorgeous young woman. But there is a problem, and that is that he's been revealed to be at best a bad husband to two of the most famous women in the world, at worst an abuser of one of those women, and at best a bad father and at worst an abusive father. And that none of his children talk to him. Now, that's a problem you've got to address, right. But there is a massive market out there of middle aged, disaffected, middle aged men who are mad with their ex wives. Marina Hyde talks about them a lot, actually, on the rest of Entertainment. She calls them the middle aged men crying in cars on their way home from work, and she says that's why Matt Damon got cast in the Odyssey, not that he personally is one of them, but he speaks to them. There's a certain kind of like mainstream middle aged dude who speaks to them. Pauline Hanson is talking to them when she bangs on about family Court, like there's all.
Speaker 3: Like Kent Thoma and Louise.
Speaker 2: She would have been so bad, But like there's a this is a legitimate market you're playing to and painting Brad Pitt, as this article does, as a slightly lonely that he talks about mental health like he's got a problem in that he has to appear vulnerable but still keep all his masculinity because that's his appeal, right, So.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm a little bit sad.
Speaker 2: I did think about some very dark time, went through some very dark times because of family issues. Everybody knows what he's talking to. Just imagine a woman in his position and the journal going over to eat cheese with him and being like, none of your six children talk to you cool like that, it's not a thing that would happen. So I think that portraying him as a little bit of a lonely sad like the world's been mean to me, dude, is a deliberate play.
Speaker 3: There is form for that for sad Brad because I know you remember, Holly, I'll have to explain this thing, you am. But in twenty seventeen, Sad Brad made his first appearance. This was just after the news had broken about he and Angelina splitting up, and he did a photo shoot for GQ Style, where he went to various American national parks in expensive nitwear, and he looked gaunt and kind of upset. And in the article he talked about sculpture. One of the quotes that I love from this to this day, I'm working with clay plaster, would just trying to learn the materials. You know, I surprise myself. So he has history of trying to sort of get sympathy by looking sad in men's magazines. That is true, Holly, But I think we're not buying what he's selling anymore.
Speaker 1: Well we're not, but we're not the audience.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if the journalist is like, I'm just going to give you another example. His girlfriend of several years that I know that we've talked about before, Inez de Ramone, who is thirty three. She gets mentioned precisely once in this whole article, and it's inner parenthetical about how she is good at packing luggage.
Speaker 1: Maybe she's really good at it.
Speaker 2: But again, David, it wouldn't be good for Brad's image to be like, I'm deliri happy with this gorgeous young woman.
Speaker 1: He wants.
Speaker 2: He wants to play that down like it's the whole thing is like that. He's kind of playing to my ex wife. He can't say it out loud, but he's like, I am a victim here. She's been bad mouthing me to the kids. I'm now disconnected from my family, Like he kind of he can't say that, but he kind of nods to it.
Speaker 1: I think it's part of a play. I do the whole thing to me. I was just like from the cutting the cheese by himself a secuitary board and then bringing out a bowl of grapes that he had only just washed and was like plucking them.
Speaker 3: What about the Pits line?
Speaker 1: The pits line where the journalist was like, oh, I'm getting the royal treatment, and Brad was like, just another day at the pits.
Speaker 2: It's just you.
Speaker 1: In the pits, am, You're the tiebreaker here, outfits so bad and the journalist thinks it's cool.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, So you think the journalist thinks this is all because my argument is that as a society we can now see through sad.
Speaker 1: Brad like, that's my argument. I don't think we can see through it. I think I just felt really sad for him, and I felt like he got that journalist to fall in love with him, and the whole thing read as like he's so sad we should feel so for him. Look at him in this big, beautiful mansion. The only thing on his mind is what he's going to order before he goes to bed.
Speaker 3: Like the end of the story is like he asks, Brad, you know top one percent of one percent of movies stars ever, So what are you up to tonight? And Brad says, think I might order some food, but I don't. But that's what.
Speaker 1: And he just had like the World Cup playing in the background, and he's like, look at that guy's fake acting. That's why I can't watch porn.
Speaker 2: That was acting so bad that it was a great line. That's why I can't watch porn because I don't like bad acting. Again, he's like, play with masculinity. I love football, I don't like porn. I'm a little bit sad.
Speaker 1: But don't get me wrong. I like cheese.
Speaker 3: I drink that, I eat cheese.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: We're all just playing and we're all just extras in Brad Pitt's world at this point.
Speaker 1: After the break, another fucking woman, If you have a baby and you also want to go to an Olivia Dean concert. I want to go to an OLIVI I have some news for you. Your baby better have a job. Bethany Williams bought a ticket to an Olivia Dean concert and here in Sydney. Here in Sydney, and at the time she was pregnant with her son. When the concert rolled around, she had then given birth to said son. It hasn't rolled around yet. It's coming up.
Speaker 3: Oh it hasn't.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's I can still get tickets. Yeah, okay, just release some. It's in like I want to say, it's in October November. Okay, I have to put that on mind to do. But yeah, she's going.
Speaker 1: Okay, she's going. She's going. But she's organized. So she's organized, right, So you should have taken the second for logistical reasons. She emailed the venue and told them that she'll have a baby with her and she wanted to know if the prayer and nappy bag will make it through security. Okay. The Venus response, thank you for your inquiry. For the Olivia Dean event, all patrons must hold a valid ticket for entry, regardless of age. William's right, I hadn't even thought to ask if my baby would be allowed in because well, he's a baby. He'll be less than five months old on the day of the concert. Our tickets are seated, and he'll be strapped to my body the whole time because he can't sit because he's a baby. Do we think this baby should be paying for his own way into Olivia Dean's concert.
Speaker 3: I think if you can't sit, you probably don't need to buy a ticket. How about that.
Speaker 2: I think that a ticket is for a seat. Baby doesn't need a seat, so you know, I don't think the baby should have to pay. But I read the comments section.
Speaker 1: Can I ask the question that I feel like I'll get in trouble?
Speaker 2: Yeh, yeah, no do Why would you bring a baby to a concert? So that's what the comment section said, right. This is interesting because I think, you know, the writer of this piece was making one point, which is like, this is ridiculous to charge my baby to get into a concert, and the comment section was just all like, why are you taking her baby to a cart?
Speaker 3: And look her answer she preempts this in the article. This is what her answer is, which is that she's breastfeeding and she lives on the Central Coast and so to come down to the concert and then back again. It's going to be a seven and a half hour odyssey, so to speak, and so she can't stay away from the baby for that long. But then your follow up is probably like does she need to go to the Olivia Dean concert? And you know, I think it's a fair question.
Speaker 2: I think she definitely needs to go to the Olivia Dean concert. Like when is the Olivia Dean concert coming around again? When is Olivia having this moment? When does she have the energy to come to Australia. She's very famous now.
Speaker 1: I guess I just feel again.
Speaker 3: You know, as someone who did breastfeed. So I'm not hating on breastfeeding, of course I'm not. But it's a tricky time. It's hard to go to the shops when you're breastfeeding. It's making life difficult. I'm just gonna say, her call. It is her call.
Speaker 1: And like lots of people are saying, what about the baby's ears?
Speaker 2: And she can get those headphones. We've all seen famous people's babies next to the text to the stage at concerts with headphones. This is just people being like, you're a mum now, And a lot of the comments actually say this, Your pleasure is not important, and I'm like, but who.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to see man?
Speaker 2: I need?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's life.
Speaker 3: I guess what I was sort of saying is I'm not sure I would want to go to the concert while breastfeeding. But you're right, that's that's her prerogative to go.
Speaker 1: But I think that the charging for a ticket is bullshit. You're just gonna SAT's fair. I just don't think the baby would really appreciate Olivia Dean.
Speaker 3: She's got a great pace.
Speaker 1: Will he know all the lyrics?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, But imagine when he's older and she's like, your first concert was Olivia Dean. When you're pretty five months old, that is pretty cool. And Olivia Dean by then I'll be doing the Bond theme song. In fact, she probably already is.
Speaker 3: And he'll be like, I've seen her and after a lot of people wearing nappies at concerts these days, anyway, So we're good.
Speaker 2: Really, you've nailed it. All the people in the front row wearing nappies. If they're allowed to earn nappies, baby's allowed to wear nappies.
Speaker 3: It's fine, you know. The big message from this is ask forgiveness, not seek for mission. Yes, just show up.
Speaker 1: Imagine if they're there and they're just like, sorry, baby, she has to stay out here.
Speaker 2: I want to test an idea that I read in a substack that I subscribe to, and I find it simultaneously awful and also fundamentally true. So I need to run it past you my moral compasses, right. Polly Vernon is a British writer. She's a journo. She's got loads of experience. She's very funny, very smart. She is a columnist. She's been a columnist for years, but now these days she's a substacker.
Speaker 1: Of course she is.
Speaker 2: And she writes a lot about femininity, body image, beauty stuff.
Speaker 1: She loves to poke the bear. She writes a lot of comments.
Speaker 2: She writes a lot of stories about you know, cosmetic procedures and diet and things that she doesn't shy away from. An unpopular opinion. She loves an unpopular opinion. And this one is very interesting. I think this newsletter was called are you a victim of the fourth Prettiest Girl in the Playground syndrome? I know you're already a bit irritated by that title. Nd yeah, everybody is bear with me. She writes about how often it's women rounding on, like a new woman who enters any arena. Now, obstensibly here she's writing about the public arena, so like a new woman who comes into the public consciousness. But also think about this in terms of your workplace, your friend group, your gym, the school yard.
Speaker 1: Your favorite podcast, your favorite podcast.
Speaker 2: The example she was using specifically, I'm not going to go too far into because it's weedy, but it was about the reaction to the British Prime Minister, the new British Prime Minister, Andy Burnham. His wife has always been like in the background, no one really knew much about it. But obviously now he's Prime Minister, she's sort of stepped into the spotlight a bit. She's called Mary France heel. No one had really seen her, but suddenly everyone had an opinion about her first appearance, about her dress.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it like a lovely Victoria Beckham.
Speaker 2: She wore a lilac Victoria Beckham dress. But plenty of annoying people were like, oh, it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't know favors. Oh she's got a stump, like all that kind of nonsense.
Speaker 2: Right, suddenly it's lots of thoughts about her body, her face, her expression, etc. Vernon writes, I believe this is It's the thing that happens every time a brand new woman is suddenly dramatically introduced to proceedings of whom we haven't previously been aware, When they just kind of land on us, as if from out of space.
Speaker 1: It's as if we all go.
Speaker 2: Fucking great, just what we need, another fucking woman, As if we haven't got enough on.
Speaker 1: Our plates already trying to feel okay about all the ones we already knew about.
Speaker 2: I think of it, Polly writes, as but I'm the fourth prettiest girl in the playground syndrome. Sudden consciousness to another fucking woman necessitates a shake up in the existing great hierarchy of women, the one that obviously doesn't really exist anywhere but in the darkest, least admirable, least feminist reaches of our collective imaginations, but which is all the same, unfortunately undeniably definitely there another fucking woman. As she calls it, can be terribly confronting, can't she She can send us into a frantic questioning of our own really shakable sense of status aka our prettiness in the playground rating, Because has she, by dint of just you know, arriving, displaced us. Has she knocked us down to the fifth prettiest woman in the playground? She says, we go straight into attack mode, attempt to dismantle the threat she poses to our deepest sense of ourselves. Oh my god, she's sow this. She's so that she really fancies herself even though she definitely shouldn't. What's she wearing? Why does she laugh like that? A bit of botox wouldn't go a mislove? Oh my god, have you seen how much work she's got done? Now we could all agree that this is ugly, ugly sentiment, the absolute opposite of the women supporting women trope. It's the scarcity mindset. There's not enough cake matt to go around and all that. But also it's true if you look in the comments section of our friend, we are just talking about who wants to take a baby to a concert? Or let's say Anne Hathaway this week is a good example. Steps she's not new, but her body is new in this context, steps out with her baby bump, flaunted.
Speaker 3: Flaunty step out and flaunt, stepping out where are her pins in all this?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: The comments roundly critical comments are overwhelmingly from women.
Speaker 1: This is the truth.
Speaker 2: We don't or from Russian bots that have pretending to be women. That's that's a fair point, Amelia, that's a fair point. So does this theory, the fourth prettiest girl in the playground theory explain why that?
Speaker 1: Vitriol? Emily Vernon. When I read this story, I got this distinct men, Mari immediately from a time that I've like completely forgot about. I didn't know I had this memory inside me. And it was year eight. My year eight cohort was broken up into different classes and we all did like the same glasses together in this like smaller group. And in my group it was like majority boys, and I think there was only five of us who were girls. So we did the whole of year seven like that, the half of year eight like that. And then we got a new student and it was a girl, and I immediately hated her. And I don't know why I hated her.
Speaker 2: I just hated her.
Speaker 1: Throughout all of high school. And another fucking woman, another fucking woman, and I wish I could say. And then I grew up and was like, actually, she's a really nice person, but I still hate her. And I don't know why. I don't know why. I don't know who she is. I can't even remember her name. I just know I have this distace for her and coming into my classroom.
Speaker 3: There's a great Australian classic children's book about precisely this phenomenon, called Hating Alison Alshell. Yes, my God, Delta, goodroom. Yes, the movie is Delta. The book is written by Robin Klein, and it just so perfectly encapsulates that hierarchy that Pollie is talking about that only seems to exist in the heads of girls and women. Why is that, holly.
Speaker 2: Well, the generous read is, it's scarcity mindset.
Speaker 1: It's the patriarchy.
Speaker 2: You know, who are kind of going, well, we will let some of the women have some of the things, but only the prettiest, smartest, most pleasing, loveliest, nicest of you this very small pool. We demand a certain amount of behave a certain kind of behavior from you. We want you to look a certain way, behave a certain way.
Speaker 1: So there's the.
Speaker 2: Doors are closed and open just a crack, and some of us might squeeze through it. Right, That is one explanation, so that women are always feeling in a constant state of competition with each other for to be able to get through that crack in the door. And that might be professional, but it also might be romantic. It might be all kinds of different, you know, different things. So that's a generous read. I also think that because one of the things that I often think about this is why is this apparently seemed to be getting worse rather than better in terms of the public discourse we have around women, because I would love we know that women in the public eye get an enormous amount of toxic trolling from men. We know that's true, and it's often violent and very disturbing, but it is undeniably true that women are incredibly harsh on each other in comments section.
Speaker 3: And you think that's getting worse.
Speaker 2: I think it's getting worse because I think that social media and even when I say that, I want to kind of hit myself in the face, because saying social media now is like saying phones or whatever. It's just the culture that we live in is more hyper vigilant. We have more constant comparison. I saw a TikTok this week from an Australian trad wife who I follow because you know, I love my trad wife, and she was saying that she.
Speaker 3: Envies her wouldn't have been any sense as conflict in a child wife house.
Speaker 2: I just realized that they would have been able to go non one hundred percent. She was saying that she envied her mother's generation of parents because they had no visibility on what everybody else was doing, so you didn't feel so shitty about what you were doing.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 2: And that's true and undeniable. And we're talking about this in terms of mental healthy young girls and all these things that the constant comparison and windows into everyone else's world is actually making us more anxious and competitive than not. So I do believe this is one of those areas that it's getting worse, not better, And the problem is is the pushback to it. And I genuinely try and practice this is to switch your that programming, like when you do see another fucking woman, when you see Mary Franz stepping out, is to not be like Tommy in that dress or like you know, any woman on the TV will tell you that all the feedback she gets ninety five percent the feedback she'll get will be about her appearance, and a lot of that is from other women too, but it's all about do are you good enough?
Speaker 1: Are you better than me? I think it's getting worse, not better.
Speaker 3: I think that's such an interesting observation, that it's getting worse, and it makes me wonder if it's also tied to how we feel a sense of economic precarity in this moment. I've been thinking a lot lately about how we know that when times get tough economically, women's bodies in the public eye shrink, and we don't know why that is. And it's not that individual women look at the stock market and decide that they're going to get smaller, but it's just a phenomenon that when times are tough economically, women in the public eye are smaller. And I wonder if there's also a sense that the competition between women gets amped up when we're worried about getting our slice of the pie and when we're worried about making sure that we can set up our retirements and that we have enough money in the bank, and we're feeling that sense of anxiety economically, and now.
Speaker 1: The really pretty perfect AI robot women are coming.
Speaker 2: For our slices of the pie too, So you're right, is it feels like a ramping up of competition at all times? How do we fix fourth prettiest girl in the playground syndrome? Because I think that the reason that this idea rankles is because it's awful.
Speaker 1: I don't want to admit it.
Speaker 2: I hate the tropes that women are all competitive, that they can't work together, and lots of experiences in my life, certainly my professional life, prove that not to be true all the time. But the reason it's an interesting syndrome is because it does have a kernel of truth in it.
Speaker 1: How do we undo it? How do you unpick that attitude? I think first we all agree we hate Brad Pitt, and then I like to be a bit more optimistic. I don't necessarily think it is getting worse. I don't know if it's getting better, but I think we always roll our eyes at our eyes at the girl Boss and the women supporting women. But I think we have those things because inherently we have to be very overt in telling ourselves. I'm a woman, I know how hard it was for me to get here. I need to do this for other women because we don't subconsciously do it. And I think back to your discussion with just into our Durnhole, especially about the workplace, and we say, if there's like a male dominated space, a woman can come in and elbow her way in and get in. But if it's a male dominated space with another woman and that woman has closed the door behind her and is not letting other women in, then you're just not getting in. That makes it very very hard. So I think actually having these overused generic terms of support other women smash the glass ceiling, like be that person for other women to look up to, be a role model, be a girl boss. I think it actually makes us believe that we are what we say, and it actually puts that in front of our mind instead of a subconscious churning of it.
Speaker 2: Do you think we also have to And this is very basic therapy speak, but it's like, you've got to recognize your problem before you can fix your problem. Right, So when you do, when another fucking woman does enter your world in whatever world that is the gym, the workplace, your phone, like talking yourself out of that, you know what I mean, like literally talking You're questioning why your first reaction is hackles up backplazed, like making being that change.
Speaker 3: When your partner's friend introduces his new girlfriend. Yes, I approach it with an open mind and curiosity.
Speaker 1: Is that possible?
Speaker 3: I think it's hard, but I think that naming it does help. I was just thinking that. In another workplace in which I've worked, I heard some young, younger women in the office talking about whether they thought Italy's prime minister was attractive. She's a woman's she's the first woman prime minister visually, and I did have to say to them, I don't think that you should say that at work. I deally never, but please don't say it at work in front of the men. They might get the wrong idea. So I think it's all the more important that we police ourselves in mixed environments too, because we've got to be the change we want. We want men to see too.
Speaker 2: Another no whatever, says another fucking man, and let's face it, there are lots of them.
Speaker 1: Except there was a lot of opinions on Obama's tan suit. We do remember that. Note.
Speaker 3: Well, it wasn't his season, it wasn't easy to get his colors done.
Speaker 1: Okay, this has been fun. I'm tired.
Speaker 3: Holy that was cathartic. It was kind of fucking woman is a real It's a real wake up call.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think it's like I'm going to test myself on that. I just know that because now we sit next to each other at the death every time I'm talking about a woman, You're going to.
Speaker 2: Be like, let's unpack that will And I'll also be like, is that just another fucking woman?
Speaker 1: Then I think we should just going to be the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: Don't cross the room.
Speaker 1: What did you say?
Speaker 3: Some law.
Speaker 1: Love you out louders.
Speaker 2: We will be back in your ears tomorrow. Until then, thanks to our amazing teams. Thank you to you two.
Speaker 1: Oh goodbye, Oh someone just to buy picture a little screenshot.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Mamma.
Speaker 2: Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we've recorded this podcast.