Speaker 1: So much. You're listening to a Mamma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: From Mamma Mia. Welcome to this Spill your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodnick and I'm a venom. And on today's show, we have some big things to talk about the changing landscape of celebrity interviews.
Speaker 2: You've got some juice on that.
Speaker 3: And also it's a devastating day for Jennifer Lopez.
Speaker 2: But more on that soon because.
Speaker 4: We have some breaking news we do Paul Mescal and Natalie Portman our dating. Yeah, borderline fake news headline. We don't do that here. We don't do fake news. What we do do is report on what we see and what on the facts and what we've seen as well as the rest of the world. Is some photographs of Natalie Portman and Paul Mescal. I'm going to say the word, I think they're flirty photographs. So they were photographed together outside a London bar sharing a cigarette. Not sharing a cigarette. They were both having their each individual cigarettes. They can fall their own cigarettes over here. They were having a cigarette, laughing, dressed very casually and the.
Speaker 2: Training is very similar. Right Yeah, Well.
Speaker 4: Paul meschal only wears white T shirt. Yeah that's what he's name.
Speaker 3: But she had like a white T shirt and jeans and a right as well. They both did. I mean that's the normal outset.
Speaker 2: I think they had like.
Speaker 4: A very casual London Sunday pub lunch and then they both just had a cigarette outside, shared some thoughts, shared some feelings with each other, had a bit of a giggle, and then went.
Speaker 2: On with their day.
Speaker 4: What happened then was the Internet got hold of these photos and now there are rumors spreading that Natalie Portman and Paul Meskal are dating.
Speaker 2: Do we think they're dating?
Speaker 4: I'm not too sure. She did recently finalize her divorce with her ex husband Benjamin Millipede. That happened in March. He hasn't been spotted in a romantic entanglement publicly since twenty twenty two, I want to say with Phoebe Bridges. So they both are seen like publicly sing, and I think that's what everyone's running with. I also do want to point out that last year they did Actors on Actors together, yes, for Vanity Fair, and I feel like now everyone's rewatching that interview where they interviewed each other through more of a rose tinted lens, going, oh, yeah, they're definitely hardcore in love with each other.
Speaker 3: See I don't think they're dating, only because it was so blatantly public and they.
Speaker 4: Poor Mescal news updates.
Speaker 2: Like where's that man going to be? What's he doing? You just never know.
Speaker 3: If you step outside your home, you're just going to have a poor Mescal siding, as the people at this pub would have found.
Speaker 2: Out, and you as well personally. Yes, very infamous stories.
Speaker 3: There was a thing at some point where he's like, you'll just look outside and see poor Mescal because he was just popping up at random places. And I won't say which pub because I'll give way where I live, but in case someone cares, no one does. I did look at my window one day, and indeed I did see Poor Mescal at the pub across the roads.
Speaker 2: That was cute. Fact.
Speaker 4: You didn't tell me, like I just wanted to be clear. We won't say where we live, but we live very close to each other. Yeah, I could have been there in five days.
Speaker 3: I hear him running through the streets of Sydney CBD he running, Well, it's true, he.
Speaker 4: Could have run to him and shown off my running strair.
Speaker 3: As a rumor, he has a one night stand with him and the next day takes him for a walk and then runs away, which again I don't think is true. Why I don't think they're dating is because it was so casually out in the public.
Speaker 2: They just looked like they didn't care.
Speaker 3: If you were trying to keep a relationship like that under wraps, you don't have those photos taken.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's why they are dating, because they were like unweaving. That's weaving too much for a web.
Speaker 3: But I think also people are just always very invested in who he is dating, like he's become the internet's like boyfriend, Yeah, but fall back boyfriend. If a girl has like a bit of a tough time, oh my god, a cool friend.
Speaker 4: Poor back girlfriend. I could not look.
Speaker 3: It's not a bad thing. It's more so they're just like, oh, she's had a rough time, she's to go date. Poor mascot was.
Speaker 4: Like, then you're Pete Davidton.
Speaker 3: Yeah in a way, but like the softer, gentler, kind of soft boy version of that. And I think also because of what happened Natalie Portman is you know that whole thing came out about her husband cheating on her, and it was so intense, and they divorced, and there's this whole thing of her looking after the kid's solo, and so everyone kind of rallied behind her and just wanted her to have a hot fleing. And so we saw her smoking outside with Paul. We're like, that's the guy she deserves. After thought boyfriend, No, the fallback boyfriend, I say, a lovely way. It's like you fall into poor Mescal, you have a lovely time, and then you move on. That's much nicer than his current reputation of running away from people.
Speaker 2: I like the running lie. So anyway, I actually hope they had a night of hot, lovely sex.
Speaker 4: One night's stat they'll do it again.
Speaker 3: I think they probably just had a hot Publim's not a hot sexy affair.
Speaker 5: Hello, Vanity Fair. My name is Ioadebris. You may know me as an actor, writer, producer, but what you may not know is that I went to law school for seventeen years. I'm here to judge the drama of people who I do not know.
Speaker 4: Iowa Debris is my latest celebrity obsession. She is Vanity Fair's June cover this year, and for the past few weeks, Vanity Fair, like they do with all their covers, I've been releasing little interview snippets, like little fun, quirky interviews. They do this to promote the cover. So one in you wish piece of content they did was I put out a video called Vanity Fair and Square Love a plan on words. Over here, they had IO act as kind of a judge, listening in on people's petty problems, things like my boyfriend's liking Instagram models, videos and photos on Instagram. Should I be upset or not?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 4: Kind of like really petty stuff, kind of like everyday stuff that we go through. I feel like I've had this exact same dilemma. Here is a snippet of what she said.
Speaker 1: So, I noticed that my boyfriend follows this popular model on Instagram, which is totally fine, but he started to comment publicly on her posts, and is that okay? It's almost always a fire emoji.
Speaker 4: I have a rudict already.
Speaker 2: Your boyfriend is through the streets. Mail is a yoga and he's through the streets.
Speaker 5: The reality of taking videos out a concert is you literally are never going to watch it like ever in your life.
Speaker 4: But what should we do about that?
Speaker 2: Systematically? Structurally?
Speaker 5: If it were up to me, if I read the Supreme Court, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm only iOS Court.
Speaker 5: But if I was in a Supreme Court, I would make it so that artists have to release concert DVDs. Again, remember watching a concert VHS or concert DVD.
Speaker 2: How fun that was.
Speaker 4: To the person who submitted this message.
Speaker 5: I don't know how to tell you this, but your father hasn't murdered people before. There are bodies in the ground.
Speaker 4: So watching these interviews right off the bat, you can tell that she is thriving in this environment. She's been given full reign with very little direction, and she comes across super down to earth, super candid, super funny. We have talked about these style of interviews on the spill before. We've talked about first Weave Feeds, Hot Ones, which one Evans, We've talked about Amelia de Moldenberg, who does Chicken Shop Date. It's like this new sort of wave of interviewing where I think mainly the younger generation of actors and celebrities. I want to say on the thirty it's arriving in these environments, and I always one of them. You might know her from The Bear, which is a drama comedy series leaned more heavily on the drama side, and she's won a few Emmys and a lot of awards for it, I want to say, And all the interviews she's done about The Bear and her acting have been quite on the serious side, where they want to know about her upbringing, like her role in the industry, where she thinks of the industry, her role in The Bear. And this was the first interview where I've seen where they've given her full reins because she actually started off as a comedian. And this is the interview where I'm like, she is so funny?
Speaker 2: Where was?
Speaker 4: I feel like with the other interview she tries to still be her funny self, but it doesn't come across the same candid way. This interview, in particular, just shows that these big publications are now trying to reach a younger demographic. While doing that, they're running the risk of also excluding their overall audience. So Vanity Fair could have easily done one of those quirky interviews where they're like, never have I ever? Or like, who what where kind of things where we are so used to seeing from My Guest twenty fourteen, where these talk show hosts want to give something a bit more edgier and more fun with these celebrities, but they haven't fully gone into the deep end. And with this interview, I feel like they've gone into the deep end. They have me howling on the floor with this interview. I really employ you to go watch the whole thing, but I know someone like my mum wouldn't fully understand it to an extent. I mean, I think this works because of who she is, and a lot of these big publications when they tailor out these interviews, it's to the personality of the person that they're speaking to. And I guess with Vanity Fair they don't usually have like I mean, I know they do a huge amount of video rollout, but I think it's not as kind of set in stone as like with Vogue, have you know, like looked through your past outfits or seventy three questions all those kind of things, And then like Variety has like got actors on actors and the little snippets of them hanging out backstage and their elevator videos and stuff like that, whereas I feel like this is very tailored to her, and I think also this was like her biggest strength for award season, because she pretty much won every award for the Bear, and so many of her exception speeches did go viral for being funny member.
Speaker 2: She did shout out to the.
Speaker 3: Assistance, the only people who answer her her emails and who got her where.
Speaker 2: She was standing. Ovation Yeah, I mean also that was just a fact.
Speaker 3: But also on the red carpet, it also was a bit shitty because Jeremy Allen White had just put out that big first did that photo shoot where he's like shirtless on a couch. Was all very intense. She kept getting asked about that all the time and she's like, Kennyn, here's my coaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was like, that's incestuous.
Speaker 3: But also ren when they asked her what she would go back and tell her former self, and she gave this bag. She gave this big breakdown about she would never do that because it affects the rules of time trouble, And so you.
Speaker 4: Can see like these interviewers who have been in the game for so long ago, what the hell.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think they do. I think they love stuff like that because they are.
Speaker 4: Kind of like a bit like I don't know where to go next.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends on the interviewer, but I think a lot of them like you're staying there for hours interviewing just because I'm now I'm always on the side of the interview because that's the world I know. And you want people to give these funny, offbeat answers because you've got one second to ask a question. You've got to stay with the very tried and tested ones because they're the ones that work on a red carpet. They're the ones that pr people have let go. So when someone says something like that, you're kind of like in your head like, yes, I know this is going to go viral. The person who's doing that is laughing while she's saying it because she just knows it's a.
Speaker 4: Good You can really see her age in those interviews, because I remember that one in particular, the whole cast her behind her, yeah, and they were all just kind of like.
Speaker 3: What's going on, Yeah, and little Jeremaleen White's laughing to the side, and I was like, oh, sir, because you've never heard a joke before, because you don't.
Speaker 2: Make them just a certainly.
Speaker 3: My only little fear for Io, because I love her so much, is that we've seen this happen so many times before, where we build a woman up for being like so funny and so interesting it doesn't matter what age they are Jennifer Laurence effect exactly. And I'm just hoping that this contains itself and she has these little bursts of fame and like you know, notoriety for being funny and offbeat, and that it doesn't rise up to a level where people get really sick of her and blacklist her and start.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I forgot about Lawrenson and hath the way up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. Even for a while that people were getting sick of Adele like you know, doing her press tours like she does one every ten years. Let the woman live and because she was, you know, being all funny and irreverent and stuff. So that's my only.
Speaker 2: Hope with her. But you know, I think she'll be okay, She'll be good.
Speaker 4: I want to see her and everything. Yeah, everyone coming up next, we are talking about Iodeber's nemesis, Jennifer Lopez. That's a bit of a stretch if you don't know what we're talking about. We'll linked in the show notes. We are talking about Jennifer Lopez and canceling her show and why she did it.
Speaker 3: Nana, Well, Jennifer Lopez is big. This is me dot dot dot now tour has been finally put out of its misery. That is the wording from Variety, not me, because the entire tour has been canceled and called off as of this weekend.
Speaker 2: So the news was.
Speaker 3: Broken to fans via the newsletter that Jennifer Lopez has called on the j LOO.
Speaker 4: I'm still subscribed to that, but I think it goes to my junk fold in there.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, you obviously missed this news, which I usually kind of make fun of because it's a data mining exercise that I haven't signed up for. But now it's not the time to get into that because the woman is going through something. So in her newsletter, Jennifer Lopez wrote that she had to cancel the entire tour and that she was completely heartsick and devastated about letting her fans down. She said she wouldn't do this if she didn't feel it was absolutely necessary, but she had to spend time with her family at this moment, and then she says, she promises she'll make it up to all of her fans and they'll be together again. I love you so much until next time.
Speaker 4: Oh that's quite sad and depressing. So she canceled the whole tour.
Speaker 3: Yes, the whole tour, So this goes back. The tour was announced in February, and around that time she had her two big movie releases. So she had her musical movie that was kind of like a wild not a music video, like a live you watched it right with all the different slurbs in there, and was like the dramatization of her new album.
Speaker 4: And then she had a documentary about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very matter.
Speaker 3: So all of these things that she's been releasing, the two different movies, the new album, the tour was all meant to be about her love story with Ben Affleck, the two of them getting back together. The movies were like quite well received. Like the first thing thing came out like she started strong. The musical movie came out, people like this is bonkers, this is insane, we love it. We dedicated a whole episode to it. The album came out, everyone's like hmm, like I couldn't tell you a.
Speaker 2: Song from that album. I don't think anyone really could.
Speaker 3: And then the documentary came out and a lot of moments that went viral but for wrong reasons about like people not wanting to be in the musical movie her and ben Affleck interacting her saying that she still felt like the little girl running up and down the Blanc, which started a whole, huge viral backlash about the fact that she was pretending to be poor and from the Bronx and she hadn't been that for many years, if at all, like she lived there, but like people were saying she wasn't poor, and people she went to high school with, we're digging up information about her. It was this whole, big, crazy thing. It escalated to this whole thing that she was rude and awful. Video started going viral, and then in the last couple of weeks we've seen all those intense rumors that she and ben Affleck are breaking up, and then the tour canceled.
Speaker 4: It feels like one of those things where like when something bad happens to someone, you're like, surely it can't get worse, and then it does, and then it does again. And then it does again. I haven't been a big j Loo fan for many reasons, a lot of them you've listed, but now it just feels icky.
Speaker 3: Say what you want about Jennifer Lopez, Like, I'm sure she's a diva. Most people who are at that level are. It's just that we've seen that story around her more than most people. And also, I think people are just reveling in her downfall because we kind of love to see a big, powerful woman and a diva, and it also feels for us, yeah, exactly, And I think there's this kind of like sick kind of fantasy that we love the disappointment of someone who's doing so well, who's moved away from being that beloved quirky and now it seems untouchable. So when she has a downfall, it kind of seems funny because lots of people are canceling their tours at the same time. The Black Keys canceled their tour for a similar reason that people are thinking is because the ticket sales weren't very high and they couldn't sell at those arenas, and a lot of them were same arenas that Jaylo was trying to sell out. And when that story came out, everyone was like, oh, you know, it's the cost of living crisis. Money is really tight. This is about the touring business, not about them, And so it just goes to show that, like with a male kind of rocked your you'll be like it's the fault of the business and the touring system. But with Jennifer Lopez, it's people hate her specifically.
Speaker 4: That's so interesting. I also think Jennifer Lopez is just like every other woman who's been in love, Like she loves love so much she made an album out of it, she made two movies out of it. Like that is the normal woman's equivalent of posting your boyfriend on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that woman who posts like fifteen different jump.
Speaker 4: Everywhere she wants to show them off. She's like, my husband's hot, I want to show them off. And then like that relationship doesn't work. But because she's got j low money, she can't just delete the photos on the Instagram just to cancel tours.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, but I mean so many musical tours have been canceled. I mean we're seeing it here in Australia, which they know maybe along boat draw, but also so many musical festivals and events have been canceled. Is getting harder and harder to get a lot of big musical events out. I do think it's more than that. That just people weren't feeling this new music from her, and which is why early on she rebranded it to the greatest Hits, which I can I just say, take my money, I pay so much money. I've seen Jelly live before. She's amazing. She would see her.
Speaker 2: Of course, she's amazing. She's been a super stuff for twenty years. What does that mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think she can pop some moves.
Speaker 3: I think she should come to Australia and do what Pink does and just do like a thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need.
Speaker 3: Like s people here because it sells out nowhere else in the world. Nowhere else would she sell it those big arenas. But she comes to Australia and she can do like final shows to a pack stadium and they also exactly we need Jennifer Lopez to do that. So she has been seen out this weekend with Benffleck. They've been photographed a lot together going to like different kids events.
Speaker 2: It's a stand. I don't know, it's hard to say.
Speaker 3: I mean they must be okay with being photographed, because, like we always say, if you don't want to be photographed, there are ways around it, especially when you have that kind of money and access. So the fact that they're sort of walking along the street being photographed, going into like his son's sports practice or his daughter's graduation party and stuff, it does, and they want people to kind of put that out there. And also just think if she was about to do like a massive, big press tour and she has to answer questions about that over and over again. I mean, the woman's booked him busy, she chaired them at gala, was all over that red carpet, she was doing press. She's been filming a movie, and then she did the promo for her big new movie, Atlas, And.
Speaker 4: When she did, I want to say I loved Yeah, you and I are big fans. Yeah weird, weird of both of us to be big fans of this.
Speaker 2: I love a Jelo movie. I'll just say that.
Speaker 3: Whether she's being a bribe but she said about fifteen times or killing an AI robots situation.
Speaker 4: I'm not a fan of Jaelo acting, but I thought she was excited.
Speaker 3: But while she's doing press that movie, even though all the reporters were told don't ask her about it. At the big press conference for the movie, a reporter did ask her about it, and she had to shut him down, and that became this whole big news story book.
Speaker 2: Flick is real.
Speaker 4: These are all okay, we're doing that.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, guys. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Don't come in here with that.
Speaker 3: And even though I thought she was kind of quite nice there, because she was like, you know better than that, she probably wanted to rip his head off. If you look in her eyes, she's so angry, probably did after.
Speaker 2: We've never heard that from that man.
Speaker 3: I'one't seen that man since he's gone, missing.
Speaker 2: The power of Jlo.
Speaker 3: She's buried him under the Hummingbirds bird cage in her backyard.
Speaker 2: That's a call back to the Beabie.
Speaker 3: But if she was going to do all the press, she would have also just been hit with this wave of divorce questions. So I understand why she did it. So sad day to be Jennifer Lopez, and I just think, as much as she has some faults, we just love to see a powerful woman get knocked down.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for listening to the spill today. If you love listening to us. You can always give us a five star rating a review on whichever podcast app you listen to us on. Otherwise, we will see you here back in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow. Bye byell cll it LOLLA