Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm on the MEA podcast three two one.
Speaker 2: Are we nailed there?
Speaker 3: Guys, we're back in the room.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Unleashed, the podcast for gen X women who need a laugh. If you have peeled the stickers off a Rubik's cube to complete it, if you've owned a pair of fingerless Lacey gloves or covered in your sisters, and if you have worn out your VHS copy of Beaches, Yes, you're in the right place, ladies.
Speaker 2: Yes, welcome.
Speaker 1: Now, who is on the sofa this week?
Speaker 3: I'm Ginnie Meersberg. I'm a GP.
Speaker 2: I'm Brunard Pep Andrea. I'm a film and TV producer.
Speaker 4: Her role I love you? Won't you tell me your name? Grace Lamb, fashion stylist.
Speaker 1: I am Kath Mahoney comedian. Well, I have to fess up immediately. Is Perry brain? You know the talking I've forgotten it. So we are without a talking pick. So we're just gonna have to do what normal people do exactly exactly. Anyone want to start me me?
Speaker 4: Here we go, Grace, So dr Jeanie in the bottle. As you remember a few episodes ago, I spoke about how I got knits on the tram, and you said it was ridiculous. I just want to prove my point and do some public services. So I know you didn't believe me, and I took matters to my own hands. So here we go. So today I'm here as Grace Slams, the official gemophobe of and lesions. I'm gonna hang out flyers to protect everyone's hair because there's knits on the tram. Let's go my flyers is lamb on tram. No, thank you, ma'am. Knit on board, commute at own risk. Don't catch knits. Excuse me, guys, my name is great. I've recently caught knits like headline on the tram. I want to protect both of your hair. Would you like the shower cap before you get on a tram cable? It's free, it's right, it's right. Excuse me, you're going to give you some flyers.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Rejected.
Speaker 1: I just want to protect people.
Speaker 5: I don't catch it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get your sanitizers as well. Don't touch up anything. Yeah, it's a breeding ground for knits. Protect the public. That's my publicam on a tram. No thank you, man, no, thank you, dam that head lies roum your comere people. Did you know you can get knits on the tram? Oh my god, that's what happened to me recently. Oh god, I get the tramp every day, so you should wear a shower cap.
Speaker 5: Please.
Speaker 3: Actually caught crabs from some random girl.
Speaker 4: The stars are online. That's why we're meeting today. Make sure you put that on. Let's put on together.
Speaker 2: Do you havents Neil No, I'm not crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm just cautious about headlines and knit you well.
Speaker 1: Thank me later.
Speaker 4: This message is approved. But gracelam the official dramaphone from Alish.
Speaker 1: My lamb on a track.
Speaker 4: Favor people, come on on the tram?
Speaker 2: Is your new name?
Speaker 3: Transport know that you've been disseminating these public health messages for.
Speaker 4: Free or they didn't stop me, so I think we're fine. I'm going to give you one each of my flyer. Can you please read it out. It's a very very important message.
Speaker 1: Dr Jinny. Maybe you should take it.
Speaker 3: I'm not endorsing this message, but the Lamb on tram no, thank you, ma'am. Knits on board commute at own risk. And there's a little picture of a knit with a line through it and a QR cod What are we what are we scanning this QR code too?
Speaker 4: So that people I gave the flyer to they can listen to our episode.
Speaker 1: Rilla marketing.
Speaker 4: But in that and I think I did pretty well today. I have no shame and that got so many directions. Thank god, I've got the skin.
Speaker 3: So if anybody gets on public transport and sees half the commuters wearing a shower cap, you know what happened.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure it's going.
Speaker 4: To catch on, Grace, I'm starting this trend.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is your actress moment for inner pay it is.
Speaker 3: It's definitely not your doctor moment.
Speaker 2: Put it that way. It may not lead to an Oscar nomination, but good luck. Speaking of actresses, can we talk about I know a lot of people are talking about this right now, the Kylie docco.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, I love her.
Speaker 2: I know I loved it so much and so for me, obviously we all grew up with her right where the definitely the right age. But not only did we're up with Kylie. I feel like I was really around the scene in a lot of the kind of big moments that they were talking about, and I love this doco so much, although I did feel like I could have done with another couple of episodes because her life is really interesting, she had so many stages. But it just brought up so many memories from In fact, crazily, I was at an event for Michael Hutchins' memorial and I knew him a little bit, and it just really struck me and made me have these kind of deep memories of how incredibly charismatic was if you ever met Michael Hutchins. I didn't know him very well, but we've all had this experience. And this is what I really thought about when I was watching the Kylie docco and she was talking about the effect that relationship had on her, and I remember when I was younger, there were those guys that when they smiled at you, you felt like, whether you were dating or not, you felt like you were the only person in the world, and their charisma was so kind of magnetic, and Michael definitely had that. I remember that very vividly. You know what I.
Speaker 3: Loved about I loved everything about that documentary because I feel like it just traced the arc of my life, not that I ever was at an after party or being cool. I was just in the background with people on my wall. But when Kylie spoke about Michael, the thing that really struck me was her grace and her generosity and her vulnerability in saying he broke my heart and yet she still wished him so well and wanted to beard his memorial and still held him in such high regard. And I thought you were always like goals for me, but oh my goodness, she went up in my estimation even further.
Speaker 4: Because it can be really.
Speaker 3: Tempting to trash your X. It can be really tempting to say it was all their fault and I didn't even want him anyway, which like that's what normal people do, right, But she just was like up there flying the flag for what is the best of an ex behavior. Like I was so impressed and so blown away, and I thought everybody who's ever had their heartbroken needs to watch her, because she nailed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that bit flowed me. The bit where she talks about comparing every single relationship she's ever had and they were like twenty twenty one when they were together to Michael, that flawed me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Michael was touring all over the world, so came really hard for us to see each other.
Speaker 7: Are you still in love with ky?
Speaker 8: Jeff? That's nice too, private.
Speaker 4: Least very good friends and always he was.
Speaker 6: The first in so many ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and.
Speaker 8: One of those first was heartbreak.
Speaker 6: Here's a rock star, which doesn't just mean that he needs to have many women in his life, but he needed to go where he needed to go. But I know from people in his circle that he talked with me and thought of me.
Speaker 3: We were good together.
Speaker 6: Should have would have cut it whatever, you know, you go on and live your life. But it was definitely an amazing point in time. I've probably been looking for something like that ever since. I haven't got it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Because let's be honest, a lot of us have had heartbreak. But it's a pretty dick move to kind of, you know, break up with somebody telling Jeff McMullin on sixty minutes that you're good friends like that. I could have forgiven her if she'd harbored a whole heap of resentment towards him for the rest of her life.
Speaker 1: But she did it.
Speaker 3: You know, she owned the fact that he broke her heart, that she loved him and he didn't love her in the same way. Even though he did clearly love her, and you know, I think the media wanted to portray that he was punching below his weight and that's clearly not true.
Speaker 1: But I loved her.
Speaker 3: Honesty and I think in that environment, like it's hard to be honest in that world where you're protecting your persona so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what's amazing I think for me why I love the documentary so much is, yes, the kind of the way she talked about him, but I think she's able, You're able to look back as an older person also and understand that was a moment, right, Not when you're in the middle of heartbreak, it's much harder, but just the amount of time she reinvented herself, you know, in the same way that so many kind of great icons have. And that's no easy feat when you have been slammed and slammed and kind of put down. And so I think that was the big takeaway from me was, you know, continuing to not let people define her and even the crazy I mean, even to kind of do what she did when she I loved chearing Nick Cave talking about her, but even to do that music video with him, there was such a brave thing in the moment, Yes, to kind of you know, kind of throw her image in some ways away and kind of surprise people. So yeah, that was the big takeaway from me, which like just watching artists do that and reinvent themselves for me is just like the greatest reminder just you know, don't let anyone else define you.
Speaker 1: Grace and joy That's what I got from it. Yeah, that she's just still so joyful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like a lot of heartbreak along the way. I think, just like she owns ages. Yeah, and it's good that a lot of people have done these documentaries because I think it makes more people comfortable to be able to kind of be more vulnerable. And look, I'm sure there's a lot she's still you know, holding back because you know, you can't give the world everything. I think there's another's many episodes more, you know. I do think it's the one thing that I'm always reminded of when I watch these things is how hard the world comes at women who are successful much more than they do come successful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that was that was interesting, But yeah, I could have I could have watched more and more.
Speaker 1: Well, talking about losing the potential love of your life, you might remember a few weeks ago, I had a really great date. Yeah, the guy I was lovely. We really clicked. Then there was a fight amongst us all about whether I should text him or not, and Sally Hepworth, who isn't with us, and.
Speaker 4: She's not clarifying just in case people, if you're listening, you're very much alive.
Speaker 1: She takes it this morning. So Sally and producer Moe's really went in hard. When I joined a group chat to say I've been on a date, I was desperate to message him. You know, what should I do? And they were very sort of divided on you know, either being a deer and being elusive or being the labrador puppy that I am and sort of being all over his leg and being excited. From then, we had agreed to go on a second date. We were going to go to the Archibald, which I thought was a lovely date. Anyway, two days later he had to work that date, but he immediately said how about Sunday? So I was like, okay, this is good. Yeah, And here's something I am going to have to confess to you guys. I have been running all of our chats through AI.
Speaker 2: Oh god, okay.
Speaker 1: Well, so anyway, my chat bot of choice is clawed. Okay, so I put all of our conversation into claudatory so much like please continue because Holly Wayne Wright I shared something. I shared it with Grace and Holly, something he'd said about me in the chat, which I thought was lovely. Holly immediately said do you think chat wrote that? So when I'm talking to Claude and like, do you think chat wrote that? And he was like, well no, because it's grammatically incorrect in places, and also you had sent a message and less than a minute later he had replied with that. So he said, you know, so Claude, who I think is a chap, we're saying that. So I was like, okay, Claude did suggest. I was like, do you think I'm more keen than him? And Claude was like, look, I think it's fairly equal, but maybe just pull back.
Speaker 4: So I was like, yeah, we're got Claude, I've got okay. Can we just say yeah, for those lovely listeners who don't know what Claude is not a person?
Speaker 2: Yeah, chatbot?
Speaker 1: Like's not chatbot?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: Well, because it's AI, it's actually taken a lot of data to actually build Claude like. It's not I love Claude. It's not something you can build for one thousand dollars and put on.
Speaker 2: It is its own chat. I think it's a chap.
Speaker 1: Dating anyway, So Claude, you know, has confirmed that the Welsh guy is into me, and claud would know, and Claude would know. Claud's got all of our WhatsApp chats. Okay, my god. Then we ended up having a FaceTime chat no, no, this is me and this s Welsh guy, which I thought was a normal WhatsApp call and I'm fully faked hand in my dressing gown was no underwear, literally looking orange, and because I didn't have my glasses on, I answered his WhatsApp phone call but it was a video. So then I've got to chat for half an hour looking like an umplump but with low breasts hanging. Luckily he was on the sofa, he wears glasses. I'm not sure what he did and didn't see. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I'm trying to build our love story for you, so you can see. Now at this point you see a bit. He didn't see my bits, but I did have to fess up. You know, I had to keep moving the camera up because I was very orange and braless. Anyway, we'd had lovely two and a half hours together. We now had the half an hour on the FaceTime and then the Friday, Claude suggested no contact because we'd had the nice chat the night before. So I was like, good plan, Claude. Saturday morning, he reaches out with a photo of his Welsh mug, saying, all thinking of you cuse I grew up in Wales and chat chat chat. This is what I'm doing with my son today, and what time shall I pick you up tomorrow? And you know, ten or ten thirty and we're having a laugh about you know, is he coming in his horse and car or a motorbike. He's like, you know, talking about just good normal fun banter. So ten o'clock is the you know, the time he's going. He's now I've got my dress, Kath.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm watching a thriller. This is like literally a bit of thriller than I would ever make.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's going straight into my book anyway, So I've got my outfit planned because you've got to be cash. We're gonna have a coffee and a walk. So I'm like, you know, I want to look nice but also a bit cash but not fully like cra So I'm all planned. I wake up at seven am to a text from him at six thirty seven am, Hi, Cath, sorry, had an impromptu night out with the lads. Just getting in. I'll have to cancel six thirty seven, just getting in. He's fifty two, some big big red flags there, so I have to you know, and you know someone can see what you've said on WhatsApp, so I just thought I just wrote, okay, thanks for that.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I then sort of spend the rest of the day wondering how long his hangover or big night out will last, and when I'll hear from him with an apology or let's let's reschedule with you know, plan b nothing, what you're feeling, very sad. Nothing on the Sunday. So by Monday night.
Speaker 3: Big hangover.
Speaker 1: It's a big hangover. By Monday night, I'm sat with Claude. I've put it all in. I've put it all in and he said, I said, you know that was my response, and he said, that's a very dignified response. Well done. But how are you feeling, because that's a cancelation the morning of after a week of really lovely bill. That stings. I was like, it did, and then he said, but the cancelation coming home at six thirty seven on a Sunday morning after a big night out, canceling on the date date, that's that needs a moment of reflection, he said. Anyway, but also the second date. He didn't suggest rescheduling in the message that bit matters, and I was like, no, he's right anyway. The next day I still haven't heard from him, and now I just wanted to be really cross. I want to be a disappointed mum. I want to be teacher. I want to tell him off. I took it to Claude and Claude said, do not contact him, Yes, Claude, do not call him, do not text him, do not WhatsApp, do not on do anything on Instagram. Nothing. And here is the simple truth. And this is why it's worth paying claud every month. He wrote, he knows where you are, he has your number. If he wanted to apologize and reschedule, he would have done it by now. A message from you won't create something that isn't there it will just cost you your dignity and give him power he hasn't earned. This is why Mike dropped Claude.
Speaker 4: This is why people are marrying Ai bot No, but we could have.
Speaker 2: I mean, with all due respect to Claude, I could have said those exact words.
Speaker 1: I know. But you also don't want to be the needy friend that goes out. Do you think this text meant that or that? So it's kind of it was come over.
Speaker 2: Tex, But I feel happy for you. I'll tell you why, okay, because I'm going to put a positive spin on this, Okay, which it is positive. Forget about romantic relationships. In any relationships, people tell you who they are very early. Always people cannot hide who they really are. That's my theory. And he told you who he was early, so he didn't. You should think of it as a gift that he did not waste any more of your precious, beautiful, amazing time. And I think he's done you a massive favor. And I would never think about him again, I would never text him again. I would not give him one more second of your valuable time because he told you exactly who he was in the second that he sent that text.
Speaker 4: At six thirty seven, but I want to be with something. Party's still at fifty.
Speaker 3: Two, fifty two, grow the f up for God's date for ten thirty the next morning? On what planet are you coming home at six thirty? I mean, know what play? Are you doing that? Anyway? But like you've got a date the next day? Why are you coming home at six thirty? I do want to ask you a question, though, I'd say, in a week's time, he texts you and turns on the charm, what are we doing then?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, we're ghosting a yeah, yeah, no, Because but I would like to say for anyone who is out there single and dating at our time of life, it's hard because you're being vulnerable, you're putting yourself out there and you open your heart up, and you know, I did. I felt like I got dumped at high school all over again, Like it.
Speaker 2: Sucks, it sucks, it's so interesting, and I look again. I was single for many, many, many, many many, and let me repeat many years I was. I was in very short relationships for the most part. Before I met my husband, I was single, and I remember that feeling vividly.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I've heard a lot lately, maybe there's a lot in the media. But I was listening to do you know who de Salmon is? Okay, So I was listening to her No Filter, and she's a radio host. I think I didn't really know who she was, and I was listening to her be interviewed on No Filter. And what I loved about the conversation she had with Kate. She talks about romantic relationships not being the be all and end all, but that her life is full of familiar relationships of friend relationships and how meaningful they fill her cup, and that she is in a beautiful romantic relationship and.
Speaker 1: She loves that.
Speaker 2: But she said, very honestly, if that went away, my life would not fall apart. And I just thought it was such an interesting perspective from someone relatively young and kind of out there and in a relationship, and it made me think about my own life. And I love my husband, don't get me wrong. I mean I hope to be married for a long time, but I have a very full, loving life outside of that. And I'm not saying stop looking, but I'm just saying, like, it is incredible like you have that. I know you do because you talk about your amazing friendships. You talk about your relationship with your family, and you have more you have almost more love than anyone I know. So just I want to remind you of that because it's just something I've been thinking a lot about that's in the media.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean two things off the back of that. I think with a Kylie Docco when she talked about Michael being the love of her life but still having a full life, I had that moment where I was like, maybe I've had all of the relationship love I meant to have, you know, in this lifetime. And then I did. I looked around. I was like, yeah, I have so much love in my life. And Sally Hepworth she sort of checked in when she knew the date to you know what had happened, and it was great talk to her and you know, be vulnerable, and she just said I think this. I think the piece here for you is self love. Yes, you know, is to just is to just do exactly what you said, fill your own cup.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, I've got something that I need to talk about.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So I have a lot of kids.
Speaker 2: How many kids?
Speaker 3: So there's three and three? So three that came from my employance, and three that I got for a week, no Alis, but what has happened, So I've got too. My two eldest did UNI exchange in America and have ended up living there, right, so they both have met American girls, married American girls. I now have American grandchildren. And I never left home or did anything, and I was I've never lived anywhere else other than Sydney, really, and so I was kind of really excited for them to go and spread their wings, you know, move out, you know, have amazing opportunities overseas, and I've always been so happy for them that they've been able to spread their wings, something I never got to do. But we tend to FaceTime in the mornings, my mornings, and I often get the girls in the bar or the girl feeding dinner. And one day it just like hit me. My kids are now American, my granddaughters are American. I'm never going to live in the same country as them for the rest of my life, and any future grandchildren I have from my two sons are going to be American grandchildren. And I want to be really positive and optimistic and really happy for them, and I am, but it's hard on me, right, It's really hard that I can't cuddle them whenever I want. I can't hug them whenever I want, I can't call them whenever I want, because you know, the timing is all wrong. And so.
Speaker 1: You guys have all.
Speaker 3: Your all parents, you have all lived overseas and had to leave your parents, and you've all got kids coming into this age group where they're going to start thinking about maybe.
Speaker 1: UNI overseas, careers overseas.
Speaker 3: And I wanted to know, have you ever thought about how you would handle your kids coming to you and going, Mam I moving to London or Mum I moving to New York? How would you deal with that?
Speaker 2: How do you feel?
Speaker 5: I feel?
Speaker 3: I guess what I want to say is that I'm full of love and excitement and admiration and I just say, fly, little birds, be free, And that's fantasy me. But in my darker moments, I feel sorry for myself because I am missing these extraordinary moments. And I don't think we think too much about being grandparents when we're younger, but you just assume you're going to be able to cuddle your grandchildren all the time, and they're going to be there on demand and they're not.
Speaker 1: So I've got four girls that are.
Speaker 3: Just gonna have to like I'm like, come oniktok, let's move, let's move this situation. I need some grandchildren in Australia. But I do want to know whether I'm being reasonable and kind of bounce it off the tribe and just kind of get your sense sense check this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean I'm close to it. You know, loose seventeen and a half. He plays plays rugby. You know he could Yeah, he could play in the country or could play overseas. I don't know. I thought, because Andrew and I, that's my husband, separated when lou was only five. I've spent the last eleven years losing him every half of the week, and so I thought, you know, I kind of got over my grief and my sadness and feeling lost early on, and I thought, hey, empty nesting, I won't feel that, smug bitch. And it's so weird now that he's about to get to that age. It's a whole new sense of grief that's coming across and loneliness, maybe because he's at that age where you get nothing from a teenage boy. So they are there eating all of the food or needing the lift, but there's no you get the moments when they want to chat, you know, so I feel I don't know. And then on the flip side, I left, you know, my home when I was in my twenties two and have been the other side of the world for longer than I lived in the UK, and I miss my sister and her kids. You know, suddenly I get to see them every Christmas, you know, if I'm lucky, and that it's hard. So I think when you as soon as you have more than one home or bets are off, aren't they you do sort of feel there's joy, and there's there's one. You know, there's connectivity around the world, but there is also you're always missing something. I think when you've when that happens, or your kids move somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I think about it all the time because number one, I have twins, so I think about it in the context of they're going to leave at the same time. So I'm just going it's gonna be like my heart being ripped open because they're both gonna abandon me at the same time. And even though they're only thirteen now. My perspective on living overseas is very different because I essentially did what your sons did, right. And I make jokes that you never know what's coming because I've made my way back to Australia. I went Sydney, London, London, New York, New York, La, LA, back to Sydney, so you never know where you're gonna live. But my daughter, who is so American, literally says to me all the time, I just need you to know, like I'm obviously not going to go to college in Australia. I'm thinking New York, London or Paris, but like, just know, prepare yourself and my son. I don't know what's going to happen. But my perspective is and I think you're really lucky because you do travel. You have this amazing business, so it takes you to America all the time. So I think if I was you, I would reframe it because what I think about and I make jokes and I'm going to go live wherever my daughter is. She's like, yeah, you're not doing that. I was like, I might be filming there, you don't know. But my perspective is thinking about it as an adventure for ourselves in the future, you know what I mean, Like in some ways it liberates you. Right, we film all over the world, so my perspective is like I'm going to have a base in Sydney and then just basically go wherever they are.
Speaker 1: When they leave home, which.
Speaker 2: Might be considered stalking. No, No, I think about it all the time. I think it's a really real thing for a lot of our listeners. I imagine it's.
Speaker 4: A really big thing for people. I mean, I loved home my son. My son's age like twelve thirteen to UK boarding school, so I didn't know that grace.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we left quite young. And so that's why I'm very independent and I don't do guilt trips my parents. I don't do any of that, maybe because I was trained that way and my son is everything to me. And of course I think about when he leaves, I'm gonna be like basket case one hundred percent because I worried about him so much and it's not gonna be pretty, and I feel sorry for my husband, Jason. But at the same time, because I've lived in so many cities and worked in so many cities, like from New York, I mean I left to go to Paris on my own, I couldn't speak French and I lived in Paris for nine months and didn't know anybody. And when I moved to per for Shanghai or you know, Beijing, didn't know anyone. So that is not something that I think I'm scared of. At the same time, I've only got one son, so he is my everything, but not to put pressure on him as well. I think sometimes when we paint a picture of how family should be, it doesn't always work out that way. It doesn't always paint as hunky dory. So this is some reality that a lot of people don't think about. And even if you live in the same country, it doesn't mean that it's going to be harmony. True.
Speaker 2: That's so true. And I think the world's getting smaller and my mom's probably listening. I see her less now that she lives in Melbourne and I'm an hour away than when I lived in Los Angeles. She would come for like eight weeks at a time. She would say this, and she's right, and it's not good and going I need to change that. But it's so funny. When you're close, sometimes you don't see each other as much because you're just in your life. But yeah, I just think you make of it what you will. That will be direct flights and everyone, yeah, everyone talking about our children.
Speaker 4: My son has become my teacher, so you know how we're parents were always thinking that we're teaching our kids, but actually I realized that after having my child, he is my ultimate master, seaful teacher, coach everything because he is a great mix of me and Jason, my husband. And something happened recently that I regretted because I was having a very overwhelming day and I spoke to my mom. She said something very inconsiderate, so I was already fired up, so the whole day was kind of ruined. Then I said to my husband, Jason, sometimes I wish I'm single, meaning and I did say to my husband, I said, it doesn't mean that I regret marrying you, not having children, not having my child something. You might not be aware that I'm a very direct person. Oh no, I know you didn't know that. I'm just telling you now.
Speaker 2: I called you a grace bam bam.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly. So sometimes my directness doesn't quite agree with majority of people because they've got like fucking baby.
Speaker 1: Ears or and or feeling well yeah.
Speaker 4: That is why I train my son quite hard in that sense, because I don't want him to be too sensitive when people say things that are not even related attacking him. So he is really good in studying how I speak to him, and it doesn't face him, you know. But when I said that, I didn't know that he heard. And then he told me.
Speaker 2: After, oh he heard you, yes, okay, so then.
Speaker 4: I was I felt so bad because he's my only son and I loved him so much. When he told me that he heard me, I started crying. Oh, and then.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm.
Speaker 4: Not going to cry because I've got really thick eyeliner. We've got tissues. Yes, I'm not going to ruin my makeup. But because he's so important to me, and I felt bad, and I had to explain to him that when I was single, I didn't have to worry about anyone. I didn't worry about me, and it was so liberating because now when you have a family, it's so much pressure. And it's because I care so much. I wish I'm one of those moms that are so carefree and don't care about anything and just let their children do whatever. Right, I'm just not like that. And I want him to protect himself in every way, and that's why it gets to me when things are overwhelming. And then it hung over my head for so many hours. But I don't let things faster, like when I'm mad at Jason or him or whatever. So it's only twenty four hours. That's my rule. The next day, I said to my son, will you please forgive me? Guess what he said? He said, Mama, that was ages ago.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I know you love me?
Speaker 4: And I was I couldn't believe he said that because he's only twelve, and I thought, wow, I think he'll be all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I mean, and we've all done that. I make a lot of jokes with my kids, like for this is probably gonna sound bad. I only ever wanted boys because I was really scared of having teenage daughters because I'd seen so many of my friends have girls, and I was just scared. I just didn't think i'd be good at it. And so when my kids little, i'd always say, oh, yeah, I just wanted boys. My daughter, my daughter at one point was like, really, like, can you please stop saying that? And the most important thing, I actually think you can teach your kids is to have a sense of humor, yeah, and to kind of understand who you are and to kind of have that dynamic. And you and Jason clearly have that dynamic in the family. And then I think it not only it makes them resilient, but I do want to pick up on something you said. My husband always says this to us. We do cause a lot of our own suffering in terms of the amount of worry, and I think we all need to remember that, Like we can teach them I told you what someone said to me once. You can teach your kids to be upstanders or bystanders. You can teach them to be caretakers or takers, right, like you can teach them make basic good mind stuff. Right. But apart from that, in some ways, you know, the world is they have to be in the world on their own. So I do think what we all need to remind ourselves of is to let go a little bit. And I know it's so hard, but that's the same as what we were talking, so different what we were saying to kath Right, you just gotta not hold on so tight sometimes because I think ultimately that will make you feel happier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of letting go, it's that time in the show where we can let go of our problems, ladies, and we can tackle other people's problems.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is a part of the show where you send us your dilemmas, problems, anything you need to help with. We are totally unqualified, but we are very enthusiast.
Speaker 2: I stand up with.
Speaker 1: This week's problem comes from Emma.
Speaker 7: Hi Unleasha's I think I sabotaged my best friend and I'm losing sleep over it. Debbie, oh that's not her real name, is my best friend. She's now fifty six and last year she was made redundant. Her marriage also ended right just before that, so she's really not in a great headspace or financial position. She applied for a senior role at a company in my field and asked me to be a reference. I have a close contact on the hiring panel who called me. In the back of my head, I thought, I'm not sure if she's totally qualified for this job, but of course I gave her a great reference. I talked her up. I was glowing, and then my contact asked me, how does Debbie handle pressure? And I paused for about two point five seconds. I was thinking, God, what do I say? Because she is shit under pressure? So I said to them, yes, she has grown a lot in that area, which anyone in hiring knows is code for not very good. Debbie didn't get the job. She called me devastated. I didn't tell her I was a referee or what I said, But it's eating me alive. Do I come clean about what happened? Or do I just do better next time I'm caught?
Speaker 6: Help?
Speaker 4: No, you do not come clean. No, absolutely not, because not only you're going to destroy your friendship and you're going to tell your friend who's got so much going on that she is shit at working. No, you need to say to her you didn't get it, apply for a new one, and I'll help you to go through interviews.
Speaker 3: But how do you deal with your own guilt? Because now there's this lie that is sitting between you and your very best friend in the whole world, and you're hiding something from her. Don't you think, like, how do you get that out of your head? When you see her we sit across the table from her.
Speaker 1: See I think I get the guilt, But then is by releasing her guilt?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: She's kind of dumping that on Debbie's plate, isn't she You know that she might feel better for that millisecond before her friendship then blows up and everyone's left feeling a bit shitty because.
Speaker 4: At the end of a day, you can't recommend someone who's not good at their job because it's going to reflect on you. At the same time, she is not up for it, period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's more even more complicated from what she was saying. She probably does think she's pretty good at the job, but she was asked a very specific question about maybe her shortcomings and she had to be honest, which there's I feel adamant there is no positive to telling Debbie that you did that. I've often been in this position because I do work with a lot of friends and a different project. Our business is very transient, right project to project. I get a lot of calls about people. If I ever have something more complex or nuance to say, feedback wise, I never put it in writing. Ever, I say call me, and you kind of also have to trust the other person you're talking to, But then you can have a more nuanced conversation say look this, here's the this person is great at ab CD, but here's maybe some things that are some blind spots or from shortcomings, and you kind of have to do that. I realize so much on references for people in my business, and when I've been steered wrong, which happens and you end up with someone who's not as good in the job, it's really damaging. So I believe in kind of full transparency. So I think she did the right thing regardless of friendship. And you know, I think there are other things you can do. You can keep a look out, you can help her find another path. You know clearly your friend's really good at a lot of things as well. So I think as a friend, be that support person and find another way to help her and also help.
Speaker 4: Her to deal with pressure. I think that's really important. That's a life skill.
Speaker 2: Yes, totally great, it's exactly well.
Speaker 3: The question is should she tell her? I mean, I think we're on in violent agreement that she did the right thing by being very obtuse, but giving a well known obtuse answer. The question is should she now tell her now? So my question is, when you have somebody in that situation, how does she know that her making an obtuse comment was the reason that Debbie did not keep the job. There might have been eight amazingly qualified people. Her reference might have been the good thing, And in fact, Debbie did not do well in the interview. So my concern about fessing up and saying I'm the reason you didn't get the job might be completely false. And now you've blown up the relationship for actually false reasons. It actually might not have been yours.
Speaker 4: So I think the way to deal with.
Speaker 3: Not telling her is to admit that you don't know why Debbie didn't get the job. It might have been your obtuse comment. I suspect not. I think I suspect there were probably other things, and there.
Speaker 4: Were lots of Really it's a really tough.
Speaker 3: Job environment out there, and so you don't have to be guilty about lying to her. Very possibly was not a lie. Possibly had nothing to do with you, And your role is now to be a really good friend, not as you were saying, Kath, to just unload your own guilt on your poor unsuspecting friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all agree.
Speaker 2: No, No, someone did tell me. Fun fact, because someone said this recently, I said, what do you do if someone's worked for you? And because in America. It's really tricky. It's so litigious, so like, and you don't want to give them a good reference. But you have to give some reference. And so this is apparently what you do. I don't know if you guys know this. You say, I can confirm that that person worked for me from January twenty twenty one to February twenty twenty two. And that's basically code for I'm not giving them a good reference.
Speaker 4: Fun fact.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, I'd give you guys a good reference.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, that is all we have time for sweet ladies, but our lovely, lovely listeners. If you have a reference for us, please talk up. Yes, go to the Apple to not be honest. Good reference. I love the five stars? What about you love it six? Then we can do five. We'll do five stars and a lovely reference. And if you know someone like Debbie who is having a tough time, share our episode with her favor give her a loll And if you want to d ms at anytime, you can go to unleash Dot show on Instagram. We literally read everything, don't we read?
Speaker 2: Please love a DM?
Speaker 1: Now what do we like to say? Ladies? See Tuesday until next time, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, Stay un bye. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on