Speaker 1: We acknowledged the traditional custodians of the land we're recording on today. My entire world literally.
Speaker 2: Just imploded in those first months, just thinking what the fuck have I done? There was no newborn bubble. It was a This has been the biggest mistake of my life. I can't believe I've done this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are back. Did you miss us?
Speaker 2: This is your favorite podcast back in your ears Every Wednesday, Eat, Sleep, Shit, Repeat, a wildly unhinched podcast about the madness that is motherhood and everything in between.
Speaker 1: I'm Kelly McCarran. What a stunning introduction. I'm Kiri Cels and it is bloody glorious to be bad. We really appreciated all of the lovely messages from our shitters who were like, how am I supposed to cope without you? And we weren't really coping without you either, So we made it swift and short, and we are back better than ever with a much tighter show.
Speaker 2: Unlike Maya Nus, which is really upsetting me at the moment. He used to resemble a nice, tight bitch and now it looks like a.
Speaker 1: Deflated burger bun. I didn't approve that, yew.
Speaker 2: Also, you have confirmed that it does now look like that it does. Later on in the episode, we will get into the meaty topic of the week, what to do when your baby won't stop crying. But first now, in our last episode, we did ask the shitter is about what they thought about us doing our weekly peek and Pit, and the response was overwhelmingly positive.
Speaker 1: It was unanimous. Please do not stop.
Speaker 2: Everyone was saying, I love it. They make me feel more normal. I love hearing about your lives. Those were the general responses. So we shall keep it in, of course, but we thought it might be.
Speaker 1: Good to actually take turns in it so that we cut down on our waffling, because boy, ome boy, can we waffle. It's very easy for us to sit down and record hours and hours of content, and somehow it needs to get cut down, and we must must think of our lovely editor, Maddie, who does the most, because she really does. So Key, you kick off this new format, give us your peek and Pit of the week, and in honor of this new season, please make sure that the peak is very good and the pit very great. Oh it's groom, Let me tell you I had a menty bee over the weekend. No A full blown menty bee. I have been so tired lately, like exhausted, and I just kind of put it down to I haven't been really exercising consistently. I'm a mom, so I just kind of thought, oh, broken sleep sometimes just generally mental load all of that stuff, right, and I just thought, oh, get it together, key, like just everyone else seems to be getting it together. So I actually did go to the doctor and just get some blood work done to make sure everything was a okay. And I found out that I have an underactive thyroid. That is why I've been so exhausted. So I think as soon as I got that news, it almost made it worse because I was like, Oh, instead of treading water, I kind of just let myself drown. I was just like, oh, I'm going to fall into a heat because I have a medical condition that's making me feel this way. Yes, that's making me feel like I am got weights on my ankles and it's so hard to move and cope with anything. But it is a medical condition that is pretty easy to fix it. Yes, it is medication. So I'm going to have some blood work done in a few weeks just to kind of see where it's at again there and then all discuss going on medication and that should help it, which should be great.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting because you haven't gained weight, and most people with an underactive thyroid, the way that they figure it out is because they've gained a lot of weight in a short period of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's probably because I am gluten and torran and a pescotarian, my diet tends to be on the healthier side quote unquote healthy. That makes sense. But what happened is that this meant to be coincided with Rue having her two year sleep regression. And of course, of course it did because I'm meet, I'm meet, and I just have the words luck in the world. And you know, Charlie was really great. He was like, babe, just take the weeknd off, I'll sort everything like you just do you you catch up on rest, blah blah blah blah. But it's really hard when your kid is screaming and it screams I have never heard before, or like the proper toddler screams proper toddlers, and you tarlet you shut all the windows because you're like, don't want the nervous to her I am going to call the police. I think I'm doing something real bad to my daughter, and it's always Mum that she's screaming. So it's just really hard to obviously switch off. But on the flip side of that, my patience with her was non existent. And the reason why it made it a really bad pit is because I found myself starting to question if I was like my mum basically, and that's what made me really upset. Because my mom had zero patient, she had the shortest temper, she was very scary to be around, and that's always kind of stayed with me. But that's what really got me down because I just like, oh my god, like I don't have any patience with her because I'm just fighting to try and keep it together and I just don't like that quality. And so I don't know. I mean, things have been better since Sam, Like, you know, I've had my rest, I've kind of caught up a little bit on things, and I'm trying to embrace the really testing moments, you know, and just work with her in those moments instead of pushing against But it's really difficult when you're fighting a really learned behavior, and I struggle with that a lot, so it really got me down. I didn't like who I was in that moment, and I felt like embarrassed, and I kept asking Charlie like, do you think I'm a bad mom? Do you think I'm a bad mom? And He's like, no, I just think you're in a bad spot and you don't have any confidence right now and your abilities. Like you're allowed to have bad days, that's okay, but I don't know. I feel like I seem to be having a lot of bad days lately, and that makes me sad.
Speaker 2: I also want to acknowledge to anyone listening, but mainly to you, that being impatient it isn't just a learned behavior that you think that you've learned from your mom. It is a very normal human reaction. Yeah, every single person feels impatient at times. My grandma used to always say patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue. So I know that when you're feeling like that, nothing can really make you feel better or like you are a good mum. But I do want you to know that feeling impatient and I mean, listen, I'm not the barometer of health or mental clarity, but I know for sure that that is such a normal response to have. Yeah, and they test us like no one else, and they know they know what they're doing. You hate it when people go, oh, they don't know what Yes, they bloody do not all the time. And I'm not saying that they still can't help it. Yeah, but they know what they're doing and they know where to push.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charlie. On that weekend, he goes, he had her all day and I went out and had lunch with a girlfriend and came back and everything, and as soon as I got through the door, she was just crazy again. He was like, she was finally. She was fine when you weren't here, and it's when you're here that she this bad behavior comes. And I'm like, but I'm the main person who looks That's why why can't she just be nice to me? Because she trusts you, yeah so much.
Speaker 2: You are her primary caregiver. You do spend the most amount of time with her, so she.
Speaker 1: Feels safe to let her freak flame.
Speaker 2: Whenever people say that to me, I'm like, great, thanks, But it's so true. That is where they feel the most comfortable to really just unleash every single thought, emotion, feeling that they have sometimes when Lenny walks through the door, He's been fine all date daycare. Luke picks him up, Fine, fine, fine in the car, babbling away, walks through the door. I can hear him going, where'smummy, where's mummy? And he sees me and then he just loses it. He literally drops to the floor and just starts screaming. He lets out every single ioda of frustration he's had old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And for me, I'm like, shut up, Yeah, you just got here. I'm excited to see you, and now that excitement has gone, Like.
Speaker 2: I was so excited to see you, and now I'm like, can you go back to daycare right now?
Speaker 1: Why did they get lovely? Lenny? And I get feelings? Lenny, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's so normal. And you are nothing like your mother.
Speaker 1: I know you haven't fucked off overseas. You're already beating her. I know we're going overseas, but we're taking her. So where are you going? We're going to Europe for our honeymoon. Okay, is this the peak? Are we moving into the peak? No, we haven't even planned it yet. We haven't brought our tickets. We've just decided good friend getting married, so we thought we'd just do it. It was always a plan, but we're meant to do it with that Ruber. Now we're going to take her my peak. It's a little bit of wholesome. So I have everyone Thursdays and Fridays and every Thursday. We've done this a lot, but the consistency hasn't been there. So for the last month, every Thursday we have been going to rhyme Time at our local library and it's this little quaint library, really small. It's got a little cafe attached to it, a little grass area. We get there in the morning for the class and it's kind of coincided with the girls being the age that they really enjoy it. So they're starting to sing along, clap along, and you go with Beck, go with Beck and Goldie and also going out of front Talia, who's the biggest shitter in the world. Tarlia shout out tas she's got two little girls. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Every time, I'm like, she's the biggest shitter or she just loves to be a shitter. And it's just so beautiful because it's an enclosed area that you sit in afterwards with the gate and the kids can kind of run somewhat wild, and you can sit together and have like your tea a cake.
Speaker 1: They've got little gluten free cakes that I get every time. We can have a conversation, like actually get through a conversation.
Speaker 2: Trapped, not trapped, but they are in close and close is the word I was looking for.
Speaker 1: You have to join to go to run time, So I've started getting picture books for her each week so that she can read them, you know, for the two weeks, and then we take them back. So I don't know. I think it's a mixture of just like the regularity of it, because we did have swimming, but my swim school closed down, so then Thursdays we're kind of just like this fucking free for all. I know that those places are heated, but too it is cold anyway, so this has been great to feel that and they get really tired afterwards we go for like a walk around the park that's there. But I also just love the connection to community and it's like feeling like you're all together. We see the same faces each week and they're starting to get to know the kids, and I don't know, it just feels really wholesome and It's a lovely thing to be able to do each week that is free. That is so cute, and it also such a good recommendation. Yeah, get amongst it, go to your local library. Join it's so good. The people that put it on are so passionate, like the librarians, and also the volunteers are so passionate about it. They love kids. It's just a really nice pocket of like humanity that you can dip into. I would be so good as a rhyme time teacher, So would I. Beck actually took a video of me last week because oh, because you can dance as well. Oh no. We were just in the park and the kids were fucking wanting to jump on this like the top of a drain, and I was just like, why are they knowing this? Beck's super pregnant, Tars has got a baby strap to her, so I'm like, all right, girls, get information. Ring a rosie, She's like kindergarten teacher comes through and I'm like, I'm aware, But Monday, neither of us have the patient of us have we'd be like that ring around a rosy shut. But I have patients with other people's kids. I don't You don't know I shouted other people's kids the time. Sounds like we've gone off on a little bit of a tangent. Guys.
Speaker 2: I recently asked a girlfriend who's got a new baby how she was going, and she responded that she was great, and she said she shared some cute picks. It was in a group chat and started talking about other stuff, and then I separately messaged her to say something like, Hey, I'm not trying to be annoying. I'm just checking in, Like, you know, I'm right here if you need anything, you don't need to pretend that everything's fine, like something along those lines. And she was like, oh my god, love you so much, but I'm totally fine. I'll let you know if anything changes.
Speaker 1: And I guess as well. In my mind, I'm like, how could you be fine? Yeah?
Speaker 2: How could you be coping with a newborn as a new mum and just be fine?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So obviously, then when she confirmed that she was fine, I was like, oh, okay, that's really good, But also just highlighted to me how alone I feel in my experience as a new mom with a newborn. So I wanted to do an episode for anyone out there who has a baby who doesn't stop crying, because maybe then you will feel less alone and know that it's not just you. You aren't doing anything wrong, your baby isn't broken. You unfortunately, have just been dealt with the shit.
Speaker 1: Stick when it comes to the baby bubble, as smug people with nice babies refer to that fourth trimester.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Honestly, when people would say to me like, oh, isn't the baby bubble so precious? Oh, soak up every minute of that baby bubble, I wanted to smack people that said things like that because it makes me very anxious when I hear newbornes cry and other people will be like, oh my god, you're so good at babies because I immediately grab them. But it's actually because I get so anxious that I need that baby to stop crying. Yeah, even when it's not my baby. So there was no bubble. The only bubble was the snot bubble that was coming out of my nose as I cried for the seventeenth time that day, thinking what the fuck have I done?
Speaker 1: This is the biggest mistake of my life. Yeah, well, it was really traumatic and I am still asking you why you've decided to quit therapy. Well I haven't. I've just got to find a new therapist. Okay, good good, I'm glad, I'm glad. All right.
Speaker 2: Let's first discuss, though, what my baby won't stop crying actually looks like. Because, of course, babies cry.
Speaker 1: I knew that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that they could cry a lot. But Lenny was on an intense mix of prescription drugs for the first week of his life, so he really only fussed when he was hungry. Yeah, and then maybe the first two weeks were okay in terms of crying. He wouldn't really let us put him down. But on reflection, then that's perfectly normal as well, because he'd only recently been horribly exited from his lovely cozy what this is? I remember he would get like a little bit gassy here and there, and I did see an insta post about colic, but I scoffed at the three through three rule.
Speaker 1: Do you know what the three three rule is?
Speaker 2: So they defined colic as crying for more more than three hours per day, for more than three days per week, and for longer than three weeks in an infant who is otherwise well fed and healthy. And I remember seeing that and I'm like, oh my god, as if babies can scream for more than three hours a day, I just thought that is ludicrous. You'd go mad if your baby was screaming for three hours a day.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Lol, I bet my future self, who dealt with fourteen hours on average per day of unrelenting screams, would gladly take those three hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if we only knew what was in stall. I do get really sad every time you talk about this because I just didn't realize how about it was.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think that I talked about it that much, or I think I probably made jokes because that's my way of coping with things.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's a very isolating place to be, and I think that's what is so triggering for you. When people have newborns and they say that they're doing well, how come I'm the only one that's been through this experience within our social group. Yeah, that's what I really struggle with.
Speaker 2: It's not that I want anyone that I love or anyone to have my experience. It's just that I want to feel less alone, I totally in my own experience, or better yet, I wish that that wasn't my experience. Yeah, yeah, I wish that I did have a different time. Yeah, newborn baby, bubble whatever, Yeah, I get them call it so. Keith, obviously, you had through a couple of months three months after I had land. So what do you remember about my experience while you were still pregnant.
Speaker 1: I remember that you would share on little bits here and there on socials, but I don't think you ever really opened up until much later about how bad it was. The hours that he cried was the thing that shocked me the most because I was like, it sounds made up. Well yeah, I mean it sounds made up, maybe yeah, but it sounds completely unmanageable to me. I loved the newborn phase and was nothing like that, and I found it it was still hard, and you know, to have it been so hard that you hate it that there's no respite from it, I just think sounds horrible. And when I'm thinking about my mother's group, we all had a stage where the kids were like going through colic and we got that, like you know, the babies do not most, but a lot of babies do. Because it's so annoying how under formed babies exit the womb, their digestive system hasn't not believe this.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, animals come out and they're like, go on, run away. Ours come out and they're like, we don't know how to shit yet.
Speaker 1: Could have done with a few more months, to be honest exactly, And we all got that like little concoction from the weird like pharmacy thing. It actually did work, to be fair. But then I thought about the two run ins I had with two of the mother's grew girls who only came really to the first one and never came back, and we had like selfishly assumed that it was because they hated us and we sucked. But I remember specifically the first one being like, oh my god, I'm so sorry I haven't been back to see girls. And this is maybe at the six month mark. She was like, I've just been so sick with mastitis, like I've had it so many times, I've been in hospital, i haven't been able to get out of bed, blah blah blah. And then the other one I saw after three months and she was like, my baby just didn't sleep, didn't stop crying. I had to sleep train my baby at three months old, and you're not meant to do sleep training till six months. So we're not saying that that's the thing to do, but that is what she took because she needed to. And I kind of thought about it, like the people that drop off from the mother's group of the people that are really struggling, the people that can continue to come each week are just having a somewhat you know, text experience. So I think that's probably why I didn't have anyone super close to me other than you who experienced it at the same time that I was going through that first stage. When did things start to take a turn? Cut Like, how old was Lend when things got particularly bad.
Speaker 2: It was either two or three weeks old. I don't remember which one exactly, but I remember the night that he woke up from the newborn. And a lot of babies do this where people get lulled into a false sense of security for the first couple of weeks, they're still asleep, yeah yeah, and then they wake up and this is when the proper pterodactyl began.
Speaker 1: Ohterdacy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was a Friday night. We had had dinner and then it just begun out of nowhere, and it was the proper pterodactyls screaming, and it went on for hours, hours and hours, and nothing would work. And Luke and I were just taking it in turns, yeah, because like, how do you deal with this infant that you don't even know you've just met them screaming at you. So we would just passing back and forth every half an hour, forty minutes, try whatever we could within that time, and then passing back. And the thing is is that you're actually not supposed to try too many things, because then that can confuse the more, and upset the more, and over stimulate the more. But you're also trying every single thing under the sun in terms of colic positions. You feed them, you burp them, you're changing their n appy, you do everything, you take them outside. And from that night my life for the next few months, my life consisted of doing absolutely everything in my power to stop my baby crying. And I have never failed so miserably at anything in my life. And I've been fired from jobs.
Speaker 1: You can't get fired from this one, though, but you can't, even though when you're doing that bad of a job, you really should. But you weren't doing a bad job. He has just been a tricky baby.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we will get to that, because I think that's so important to acknowledge to anyone that's in that at the moment.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know that not the time.
Speaker 2: No, he screamed all day every day unless we were walking outdoors. He liked the fresh air, and so a couple of weeks postpartum, I was so slim. Yeah, and I remember people being like, oh my god, what's your secret to losing the baby?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, Oh, just have a baby that never stops crying. This is like why you should never comment on someone's body unless well, no, you just shouldn't comment. But I was like, oh, just have a baby that cries all the time. So you have to walk for hours and hours and hours a day. Yeah, because that's the only time that they're not crying. And then people would be like, oh, get the rocket and different things for the prem at home. No, No, it had to be outdoors. He also knew the difference between pushing and a rocker. It had to be outdoors, the fresh air and just hours. It didn't always work, but it often did. Sometimes we'd go to the shops because that also worked, and that here comes the sun plus the mister Rath would just be playing on repeat. So when I hear that song, I literally just goo. Yeah. I just think about hours of walking around listening to those bloody things. He wouldn't ever sleep for long, though, and then he'd be back away screaming.
Speaker 1: And this was all day, all night. He did feed fine, didn't care if.
Speaker 2: It was from the bottle of boob, and he generally passed wind solos are good.
Speaker 1: Things, like yeah. Like, So it wasn't that he was yeah.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that he wasn't getting enough food or wasn't whooing or something like that.
Speaker 1: But my entire world literally just imploded.
Speaker 2: And as I've talked about, I think it was in the mental health episode. I just spent those first months just thinking what the fuck have I done? There was no newborn bubble. It was a this has been the biggest mistake of my life. I can't believe I've done this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is a horrible thing to admit, but that's how I felt, because this small person just screamed at me all the time, and nothing I did ever worked, and no one seemed to understand just how bad it was, just how defeating it was, just how isolating it was, and I was just so frustrated and exhausted. I know some people have really difficult babies, but then they sleep at night, which is still so hard, don't get me wrong, still so hard. I remember Rue went through a stage where she wouldn't sleep all during the day. Yeah, be like, oh, but she's sleeping at night, so it's okay, Okay, it's manageable.
Speaker 2: He didn't sleep at night, so I dreaded the sun going down because it was kind of like, okay, round two, my second shift is going to start. But there's no one around anymore. You can't go outside and walk your baby around for hours. I've never felt so lonely.
Speaker 1: And there really is no lonelier place than a mum at three am, when you're baby screaming, you haven't slept for days, you don't know when you'll sleep again.
Speaker 2: And as a first time mum, I remember people would say it ends, it gets better. I promise you it gets better. I always found that very frustrating because when if you're a first time mum, you have no idea what to expect, you have no idea what the future holds. As a second time mom, if I had another baby, even if it was the same experience. I know that rationally, I could be like, hell, it ends, it's okay, this isn't forever. Yeah, it ends, and also do other things differently. But he just screamed all the time. I didn't know that this would end. I had no reference point, so that wasn't helpful unless someone was like, you know, it gets better at three months or whatever. I remember everyone said just get through the.
Speaker 1: First six weeks.
Speaker 2: Then other people would be like, get through the first twelve weeks, and then it became four months and then six months, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, but when.
Speaker 2: So I just remember being in that dark pit and I wanted to leave so bad, Like that was when I was in the very dark place. But honestly, this sounds so unhinged. It made me very much, so I understand how people can get into such bad headspaces.
Speaker 1: I was like, I can't leave him. He's horrible. No one else will take him. I remember saying this, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I was like, I birthed him, I have to look after him. No one else will look after this child. He's awful. Yeah, he screams all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a sleep deprivation that really gets you, right, because you just don't have any time to actually rationalize things well, yeah, and have a clear head. Yeah. I cannot believe with the amount of sleep deprivation that some new mums have, that they're allowed to take care of a baby. Do you know what I mean? Like, they shouldn't be allowed to drive, let alone take care of a baby. Back, let alone work, let alone work, because you threw that one into the little mixtue choos. Yep, mine was going for a bloody record.
Speaker 2: All of my memories from that time are blurry, and all of the flashbacks make me very scared to even consider doing it again. People say, oh, we just laid in bed for a while and looked at each other and he cooed at me or she cooed at me or whatever, and I'm like, I didn't have that. He was always screaming, yeah, or sleeping, but even in sleep he had a scowl on his face because he was miserable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wanted to take you through a list of all of the things that I tried over those okays, Yeah, to no success obviously, Yes, Okay, I'm still screamed, got it. I had a midwife.
Speaker 2: She was kind of like a mental health midwife but also there to support the baby, and she would come once a fortnight and she was so lovely.
Speaker 1: I really liked her, But.
Speaker 2: I think that sometimes when you're getting these house visits from people, they're there for an hour and they don't really get it. Like she sort of was trying to teach me about sleep cycles and how as he's coming out of the deep sleep you really need to and she was showing me these things to try to tide him over into the next sleep cycle so he didn't startle himself awake and then scream. But I was like, wasn't actually helpful even though she was trying so hard. But I was like, the problem is not that I don't know what a sleep cycle is. I mean, of course I didn't. I appreciated the help, but.
Speaker 1: He wasn't even getting to that point.
Speaker 2: No, no, So I was on every single forum. I followed every single baby sooth on TikTok. The amount of videos that I have saved of like try this technique to get your baby to stop screaming in thirty seconds, I can probably get ninety percent of babies to stop screaming. Yeah, you're so good, Like I have got the touch because I have so many tricks up my sleeve from all of this research that I did. Yeah, couldn't get my own baby to stop screaming though I tried the Wilby's collic form.
Speaker 1: Now that's what I was talking about before. That will be stuff. When I was like that concoction that you get from the pharmacists that you know that like weird chemists. You've got to go to a compntoun chemist. That's what I meant, the weird one. Yeah, not your regular one. Some people find it's so good but it works, and Charlie and I were just like some fucking magic, like what.
Speaker 2: Is Oh, who knows what's in it? It didn't work for me, but of course yeah, but I still kept buying it.
Speaker 1: And it's so expensive.
Speaker 2: It's like thirty bucks a week plus shipping just for this stupid little bottle.
Speaker 1: But if it works, you don't care. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A really good piece of advice that someone gave me was throw money at the problem because now it's not the time to worry about money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're surviving, you're trying.
Speaker 2: Is so good, so it's not like going to debt or anything. But it's like if you've got money to spend on something, throw the money at the problem.
Speaker 1: I tried the doctor golly winding method. I've never heard of this.
Speaker 2: Okay, well let me tell you I can burp a child unlike no one else. I did so many other short courses and courses in sleep reflux colic. We had the Happy Baby Song, Half the Magic Dragon, and here Comes the Sun Gray repeat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Those are good songs.
Speaker 2: There's science behind them that they work on a baby's but very painful to.
Speaker 1: Listen to over and over again. They're social. One came on the other day and I was like, oh, yet it off, Get it off. He had a chiropractor and a kinesiologist. Gorse Burb from the non woo Woo Kelly, Non woo Woo Kelly.
Speaker 2: When you are a parent struggling, you will try anything. You will woo woo, you will woo woo, you will woo woo the fuck out of your anti woo woop. So I would take him to his chiropractic kinesiologist. And I'm not kidding when I tell you that there are crystals waving involved crystals, crystals to stop your baby screaming, Kelly, using crystals to stop her baby from screaming.
Speaker 1: It's like something that would never.
Speaker 2: Ever happen, and me like looking over my baby being realigned. Also, just anyone that's playing along at home. Can I say a chipractor on a baby? It's not cracking, cracking God, No, It's actually very gentle and very effective. For some people. It can really help because babies can get you know, stuck or misaligned as they are exiting the womb or in whatever fashion they come. I have heard stories about chiropractice.
Speaker 1: Doing God's work for newborns.
Speaker 2: Right while I was still breastfeeding, I cut out night shade fruits.
Speaker 1: What is a night shade food? Yeah? What is it? As a vegetarian, it's like all of my favorite no saw what is like eggplant would be a night shade? I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: Egg plant, sweet potato, potato, corn like capsicum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not much left as the what am I supposed to be? If I can't eat Mexican? Because I also had to cut out dairy, like all of these things that I cut out.
Speaker 2: He had an occupational therapist. She diagnosed him with reflux and a tongue tie. So we did zoom calls where she would take me through different exercises. So we do like all these different exercises with the baby Tatrot's help and sane, oh insane, plus working full time, remember, and not sleeping, Kelly, I had four different types of baby carriers. Yeah, and then the GP prescribed just the standard reflux medication.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say any drug name, but.
Speaker 2: It's the one that you get if your child has reflux. They start off on a pretty conservative dose and they go up. Still wasn't doing anything, and at that point I took him to a pediatrician who diagnosed him with the worst god he'd seen in his career and severe cow's milk and protein allergy. So what's good gastrod disease. It's like the worst form of reflex you can get.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So it's like then he ended up on what Charlie or Luke would be on in terms of medication, the dosage that's how I was free three times a day and prescription formula which actually works out so much cheaper.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, such a win rue positive and it doesn't have all of the mean messaging on it either.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: No, after that, he still wasn't a great sleeper, but he screamed less and started hitting more of his milestees. So if you're listening to this and you have tears running down your cheeks because you feel like you're alone in this experience and you're not enjoying the newborn bubble that everyone tells you to enjoy, and you're questioning what the fuck you've done, I promise you that you're not alone. People talk about things a lot more than they used to, but I still don't hear people talking about baby that never stop crying. And I think it's because we feel inherent shame. Yeah, because it must be us. It must be I'm just a terrible parent. I don't know what I'm doing. Who let me have a baby? It's obviously me. I'm a horrible mother. Google it all that comes up. There's nothing about mums. It's all about oh try these things. Oh no, never thought to fucking rock my baby and shush at the same time.
Speaker 1: Google. Thanks Google. So the two things that I will say is that push and advocate for your baby. You will get fobbed off because all babies cry. But trust me, not all babies cry all the time. There's a huge difference that isn't normal. And the problem is as well, babies like to gaslight because they're distracted when they're at the GP or the doctors. They often don't behave the way that they do it a little angel hush for.
Speaker 2: Your baby, because your baby can't advocate for themselves. And it will end. And I know I said that. I hated when people said that to me, But it does, and you will get to a place where you're like, oh my god, you still have a lot of like trauma around it or PTSD, I don't know what the right word is, but it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gets better. Do you have thoughts, Oh, I feel like I could have been a better friend in that moment for you. I feel like I didn't talk about it because I was so embarrassed, I know, And to be fair, like I was the last of my girlfriends I've said this before to have kids or one of the last, and they all started having kids in our late twenties, and it wasn't until I had my baby that they really opened up to me about how much they struggled, some of them in that newborn phase with really difficult babies. And so it is a fact of like being in like an echo chamber of bad thoughts and convincing yourself that you are not doing a good job, you must be something wrong with you, because so much of the newborn phase is the mother or the primary care who is in that and it's often just alone with the baby. So it's shame. But also you just don't even have a minute to really, I think, realize what's actually happening and how bad it is. Maybe like it feels bad, you know it's bad, but not enough. You don't realize how bad it is because you don't have a point of reference as well, even if you've got other friends or family with babies, you're not with them all the time, and people go, yeah, bad baby cries. Yeah, but like how many hours a day? You know, it's a weird thing to ask, because like it wasn't until my mum was helping me feel out of form.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, would you say about nine hours per day? She goes, no, it's higher, it's more like fourteen because she was spending a lot of time. And I'm like, oh shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you have a baby that never stops coming as well, just if you are worried that you're a bad mum and it's something you're doing that is the biggest indicator that you're not a bad mum, and it's not something that you're doing. And I will say because I hate it when people say, oh, it's actually a blessing. It'll teach you empathy, it'll teach you this, blah blah blah. It's really shit luck that you it is, got a baby that was a bad baby. People also say that, don't call him a bad baby. Don't do this. He was a bad baby. Of course it wasn't his fault. I like to say, difficult baby. Do you say spirited baby? Spirited? You know what I call a spade of spade bad? Well you can say that because it's your baby. I can't call him a bad baby. He's not mine. True. I don't mind, though, tell you what, he's a hilarious toddler. Yeah he really is. He's really funny and his little fucking smile. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Anyway, moving on to recommendations, I have two well ones for the new parents or any parent at all.
Speaker 1: Every single parent needs noise canceling headphones. I think I've said this before. I will not stop shouting it from the rooftops. You need noise canceling headphones. I have the Bose bas Boss ones. We can link them in the show notes. I absolutely smash them. I lie on them, I chuck them everywhere. I wear them in the shower. They are Incredible'll not with the water on them, but like, if I'm not washing my hair, I like to listen to things in the shower. Why don't you just have put a speaker on. You are so weird because I don't know speak as a waterproof No, I don't that sound That is so weird, Kelly, No, that is weird because I think that they're waterproof. I just said I don't put my head under God, you stress me out sometimes with the weirder way.
Speaker 2: Even if they're not on, you can turn them on so they dull the noise. Yeah, okay, so the screams don't hit as hard. I use them even now. Sometimes let me walks through the dof He walks through the door and has a meltdown. I literally just go, ah, headphones on, noise canceling on.
Speaker 1: So it just dulls it all a little bit. So I think he thinks that the headphones are potentially part of me and late to the party. But just a little bit of a light recommendation as well. Colin from Accounts if you need a new show, so good on Binge. Yeah, it's wonderful. So the unicycle, Yeah yours? How long have you been single? A while? I'm late to the party. I know it is so funny. Harriet Dyer Patrick Brimmel, the two people real life couple. It's loosely based on their relationships, say if I didn't know, not completely, like just the age gap and things like that, obviously embellished to make it really funny and for television. It is so funny. I also had a recommendation in there too, Yeah, it is kind of coming off what my peak was this week. Join your local library. Join the local library, take advantage of those free things that they put on, take advantage of a safe, quiet space with lots of resources to use. Do it. It will be a blessing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is such a good recommendation. Also helpful given I'm like spend five hundred dollars on headphones.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 2: I hope this podcast has helped if you need it, or maybe it just helped you understand someone in your life that as a difficult.
Speaker 1: Baby, spirited child, a spirited human. Share the pod on your socials. We would love that. Let us know what you think and what you want to hear. You can tag us at Kyris, at Kelly Underscore mccaren and at earssa dot pod. This episode was produced by myself, Kairi Cells, and Kelly mccaren, with audio production by Madeline Joanno. See you next week. Whoo Why