Speaker 1: They can understand themselves better, be more self compassionate, understand the world differently. I really think you cannot just get better, but you can get like better better.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you, But are you happy? I'm a shiny Dante. Previously on this podcast, we've done a series of mythbusting episodes around ADHD, OCD, and BPD. Today we're turning to depression because there are still a lot of misconceptions about it, that it's something you can just snap out of, that it's simply extreme sadness, or that it reflects some kind of personal weakness. But depression is far more complex than that. Joining us today is Julie Chapman, a registered psychologist with over fifteen years of experience in trauma informed care, addiction, and complex mental health, including depression. She is here to unpack what depression actually is, how it shows up beyond just sadness, the myths that still shape how we think about it, and what recovery can really look like in practice, not just in theory. Here's our conversation. Hello, Julie, Welcome to But are you happy? I am actually really excited to talk about this topic depression, which sounds a bit of an oxymoron in itself because there is a lot to it. But yes, vastally just want to say thank you for joining us my pleasure.
Speaker 1: I love talking about all things mental health, even topics like depression. I think there's so much in it that's really interesting, and so I hope people really like learning more about it today.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I know we will. And it's interesting too because when I hear the word depression, right, it gets thrown around a lot casually in conversation. We can just be like with our girlfriends, I'm depressed, but no, you're actually just sad, and it gets me thinking about what actually is depression.
Speaker 1: It's something, it's funny. I agreed to do this and I was like, yeah, I'll talk about depression, and then I was like what is depression? I went, oh, yeah, okay, let's go back to basics. What is it? It absolutely can be thrown around a lot. Sadness is a normal human emotion. It's actually pretty good for us. We need it as well. I think the difference for me between normal sadness and really entering a depressive episode is when it starts to spread, colonize and become this sort of self perpetuating darkness in somebody's life. That's not a clinical definition of depression, but that's I think an easier way for people to understand it. There are definitely diagnostic and statistic criteria out there that pretty much anyone can go out and google themselves and I'll give a list of criteria. You know, it has loss of interest in your activity, these you could, but it has weird things in there, like you might sleep too much or not enough. You might put on lots of weight or lose lots of weight. So it's sometimes tricky. People are going through and thinking do I meet this? Is this me? I think it's probably more useful to think of it in the first way I described it. It's when it really like settles in and it starts to then create more depression for you. So you've become really negative in your thinking, and then that negative thinking starts to really spiral.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so yeah, And it was really interesting when you said self perpetuating darkness because I mean, just those words itselfs is a lot like what does that actually look like? Then for someone who might be like, oh am I depressed?
Speaker 1: Am I just sad?
Speaker 2: Because it sounds like it's quite deep, like, is it kind of it's showing up in so many different areas of your life, or it's impacting kind of like your quality of life.
Speaker 1: I think the thing is that's really hard about thinking about what it might look like in someone's life is because everybody experiences depressions so differently, it's going to look so different depending on who is experiencing it. Right, So there are lots of things like you could look at, you know, low mood, losing interesting things, sleeping, fatigue, difficulty concentrating. But I'm not really sure if that always helps people to kind of think, oh, yeah, I'm depressed. Perhaps it's more useful to think of it like it's going to look really really different depending on who's experiencing it. For some people, know one on the surface would ever know, you know, like, or it might just be someone really really close to them might start to see some of the cracks. You could be looking at anything from intense irritability, difficulty keeping up with a job, not enjoying things that used to give them lots of joy. I wonder if it's probably too early to bring it up. But I work from an internal family system's sort of model. I don't want to turn this into like a little mini lecture on non types of therapy. Go for it, but it's very, very briefly. It sort of conceptualizes a person as having lots of different parts of themselves. Some are very well known and of these protective parts that you bring out into the world, and some are lesser known. Some are deep and below the surface, and you might go your whole life without really making much contact with them. So I tend to kind of look at it like it can be a system collapse. So they might have gone swimmingly through their whole life, and a protective part might have kept them safe by being, for example, a people pleaser. You know, I'll do everything for everyone, and that kind of keeps me feeling good and I don't have to experience all this underlying sadness that's there. But then something changes in their life, like they get a chronic illness, or maybe a relationship breaks down and they or they have children. Oh my gosh, having kids will one thousand percent break any kind of structure anyone is built around their sadness, and all these things that used to protect them, I know they can't do them anymore. And sometimes when the system collapses like that, that's when you see people in a depression.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does that make Yeah totally. I think what I'm hearing to is that depression. And I was actually reading an article about this, and we're saying how depression isn't just a cognitive it's not just about the cognitive. It's also like a physical thing or it's like physiological So it does impact a body too, or is that a myth?
Speaker 1: Well I used to have this great supervisor and she just said, we're not heads on sticks, Julie, And that's so interesting. I was like, what does she mean by that? But meant was our brains and our bodies are deeply connected. So yeah, absolutely, when people become depressed, their body can start to feel different. It my you know, difficulty sleeping, low energy, and fatigue and tiredness and difficulty getting going. So yeah, And the ways in which both trauma and depression can show up in your body are as widen as varied as the people in the world and the types of experiences that they can have. So that's pretty wild.
Speaker 2: Actually, there are different types of depression too, right, because it's not just a blanket depression label.
Speaker 1: There is sort of like your blanket depression, Mabel. That's probably what people are talking about when they say I'm clinically depressed or you know, I have major depressive disorder. But there's also different kinds of types as well, right, So there's like persistent sort of low chronic mood, like chronic low mood, something called dysthymia, major depressive disorder. There's seasonal effective disorder, which is you know, very cruelly labeled s a D sad. Why did they do Why there's a seasonal effective disorder And that's a real thing. I wanted to shout out to all the ladies. Pre Menstrual dysphoric disorder is a real thing. You know. It's something I kind of think I've had my whole life, but it was just, you know, pretty much told, oh, yes, we all get a bit cranky before our period. But yeah, it can be a real thing, like episodes of depression before you get your period. Get a period, and then hey and better. Yeah. They're usually useful more for administrative or like pureaucratic processes. It's not always necessary I think in therapy or for yourself to know exactly which kind you have. They really are just categories. I think it's good to be whether they're a thing like seasonal effective disorder, postpartum depression, slash anxiety. It's good to know that they're a thing. I think that's really important. But you know, we have to create these categories because sort of have to draw the line somewhere yea. And you know, the people on the board for the diagnostic and Statistic manual will just draw the lines based on research, and that's not always exactly what someone needs to know when they're trying to feel better. They just know that something's really really wrong and someone will listen to you, so get it checked out.
Speaker 2: After the break, we unpack some of the biggest misconceptions about depression. What do you feel are some of the biggest misconceptions when it comes to depression that you want people to understand better.
Speaker 1: It's not just sadness. It's a type of sadness that you know. It's also hopeless and it can feel like worthlessness as well and a numbness, so it's it's deep. As I said, I feel it can become very self perpetuating. Yeah, people don't really feel alive anymore. They can feel like they're in zombie mode. So I think it's important just to dispel the myth that they're just a bit sad, because usually by the time someone's like, I think I'm depressed, it's like, yeah, you are, Like don't people tend to they don't want to be judged. They tend to err on the side of not like kind of putting themselves out there and saying, hey, I think something's wrong. Another really important one is the person does not want to be that way. Our culture is really into blaming people they're sick or just really believing that you can do anything with just a bit of willpower and a bit of cheer. Weakness is often very much like shove to the side. We don't want to see any of that. And so somebody if they don't understand somebody's depression, it's so common for people just to go, oh, well, like, look what they're getting out of it. They don't have to go to work, they don't have to go to the gym, you know, they kind of like being looked after. None of that's true. I one of the biggest lessons I learned this was about addiction, but the same could be said for depression. Was you know, as a young psychologist working in a group therapy session at a drug and alcohol clinic, and one of the women just said to me in tears, like when we were in primary school and dreaming of our futures, none of us said we want to be a drug addict. Yeah, And when you peel it back like that, you're like, yeah, Like, nobody wants this for themselves. Nobody wants to feel like brushing their teeth is a huge achievement for the day. But you can see the temptation. If people don't get it, they're like, well, it must be something I can understand. Yeah, but not the case the US think positive idea isn't quite right. You can't just sort of think positively and it will all turn around. It usually needs a lot more than that to turn things around. There's definitely a role for some sort of like cognitive therapy where you try to change the way that you're thinking. It's much much deeper than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wow, there's so much to unpacking that. And there was something you were talking about before around how our experiences can potentially shape the way that we treat our mental health. And the question I had was, like, how do culture stigma or upbringing affect how people experience or talk about depression.
Speaker 1: Greatly, greatly. So that's like huge one, right, there, isn't it. There's so much in that that's like ten pieces. I can kind of see them all floating out here. So your upbringing really sows the seeds and it shapes child to who they'll be for the rest of their life. Right, So it doesn't have to be an abusive household. But I will say that households where emotions are not really taken into account, validated, looked after, if emotions or big displays of emotions are sort of sidelined, that's kind of lead to an adult that then isn't really in touch with their own emotions and then finds it very hard to regulate their emotions later in life. On the other side, if somebody grows up in a household where emotions are uncontrolled, someone can turn and then all of a sudden, someone's angry or happy, and the child has no idea how that happened. If they're exposed to that chronic like switching of emotions, they're also gonna not be great at regulating their emotions either, because they kind of don't lack that emotional.
Speaker 2: Safety It's interesting because I feel like there is a lot of that kind of shame and embarrassment that can come with mental health issues. For me coming from a Sri Lankan background, so Southeast Asian culture, you know, we don't talk about emotions growing up. He's why I started the Flourished Journey, which is all about helping young women talk about mental health. But it's just interesting because there is such a stigma, Like I noticed that across different generations. To my aunties, my uncle's like, it's like, no, we're tough, like we're resilient. We don't what do you mean we stop and feel no, like we need to go to our job, do what we need to do. Survival stability first, not let's feel our emotions. But but they do recognize that. You know, my generation and younger generations are getting more in touch with it, so they see it as something like, oh, that's really good for you. But you know, it's a lot to feel into. And you know, I don't blame them. You know, that's like a lot of conditioning and how we've been brought up. So again, there's no like pointing the finger.
Speaker 1: So it's really interesting, isn't it. So this, and it's in lots of different cultures. My husband Irish and it's not the same as Sri Lankan culture, but there is certain like his family are from west the West Coast of Ireland, rural island, and you like, you've got to be tough. There is no room for this fluffing about business. Does make me think about culturally, if a particular culture has had a really tough time, and it could have been two hundred years ago, it doesn't matter. It passes down through the generations totally to this sort of like we cannot indulge in many of this stuff. Yeah, yeah, I did want to say I'd feel terrible if I didn't mention that people's experience of depression based on their culture or been a marginalized community, They're going to experience depression. They're going to have it worse because they're in a marginalized community. I think like they carry this disproportionate load based on insidious traumatization and unfair systems. So it's just really important to point out as well that depression might actually look like it's occurring more in Aboriginal and Torrest Right Islander communities or LGP TQI plus culturally and linguistically diverse communities and also people with disabilities as well, and so that I'd be like, well, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: And it's good to shine a light on that because it is really important, and it's good that you kind of spoke around how depression can be experienced in different communities. How does it translate into gender or age, Like, do you notice there's like a not so much a trend, but do you notice there's like a commonality amongst Yeah, well, I've had.
Speaker 1: A little chat about age gender. I think is there's something very interesting going on in our culture right now. It's probably something that's been kicking along for ages, but we're really starting to see it. We socialize boys in such a silly way, you know, these ideas about masculinity, and we were just talking before about you know, you know, don't share your feelings, harden up, push that down, push through, don't cry. It's it makes it very hard for people then to recognize their sadness or their shame when they're not meeting these ideals, and that can become super toxic and really unfair for young boys men and then older men as they kind of carry around that mantle of some weird thing that we've decided as a culture is being masculine, and then if they don't outperform overperform what that is, then they should be really embarrassed. You can't tell anyone about it, and you don't even know what that feels like. I mean, it's how did we think that was going to go well? I don't. That is never going to go well. Yeah, and women carry our own load, right, you know, chronic stress of navigating patriarchal unfair structures like as I talked about before with other marginalized communities is really gonna suck, and it can make life harder. But there's also like there's the way that women are taught to be and what being acceptable is for a little girl. That can also be really harmful. You can look like lots of different things, like narratives that are still really strong in children's cartoons about finding love will save you and how to find love, you'd be beautiful, or you'd be sweet or talented, or just that right mix of like enough sasp but not like making anyone feel threatened. That hard line, and that can of itself mean that depression shows up really differently. Right, You might outperform overgrow, but at the cost of your own sense of self, like, you know, abandoning who you really are. Yeah, so it absolutely can show up differently in genders.
Speaker 2: I was reading an article about how depression it's not just about low serotonin levels, Like, there's more to it. So, like, what actually are the causes of depression?
Speaker 1: Oh, so the low serotonin theory is You're right, it has been debunked. But I guess because antidepressants, which work on serotonin increase the amount of available serotonin in your brain works so well. They were like, well, it must be that depression is because people have low serotonin levels. But as they do more and more research, the findings are more and more inconsistent. Just doesn't show a clear relationship. So then it's like, what, what does cause depression? There are some biological factors that might make somebody more predisposed to becoming depressed. I don't think that this is particularly well known, and your research is ongoing. It's things like a dysregulated stress response, so more difficulty to calm your body down after being stressed, or heightened emotions. It could be inflammation in the brain, changes in neuroplasticity, there's but there's no way at this point in time that we haven't got like a clinical cutoff where we can go, right, okay, like you've got this much near inflammation, you're at this risk of developing depression. And something that I've been thinking very deeply about in recent years is your biology, particularly when it comes to mental health, is and deterministic is definitely a part of the puzzle. But I've kind of I have to get to a point where I'm almost like, no, no one's biology or predisposition can be inherently bad. Because to do that, you'd have to look at a child and be like, well, you're just already wrong. And that's just obviously not how we think about it. That's not how we see everybody is having all this potential. My own daughter, Billy is just like so emotional, and you know, heapes of difficulties concentrating and cries a lot and can you know, falls over and screams. She has the full gamut of human emotions, and so you know, if we're looking at like she probably has some biology there that makes her very sensitive to or very can be flooded by her emotions. But it's also like something really cool about her, and she's very lovable, Like there's nothing bad about that. I don't think there's even a dysregulated stress response system. It's useful. It's some in some ways to have you know someone in your tribe who's always just like a little bit more predisposed to being stressed, because they might kind of push us, nudge us along, and they have all these positive qualities. So it's not just the biology. I always kind of go back to. It's biological, it's social and environmental, and then then it's psychological. Then it's like what the person does with their biology, their environment, and how they survive. Those two things can create depression. Right.
Speaker 2: So, and when you say social and environmental, you're essentially just saying the way in which a person's grown up and the environment the current context they're currently in as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So it's so their environment, their culture, all the stuff we're speaking about, right, like what's their family background, Like where do they live, what structures are kind of forcing them to be something that they're not. Then there's that family of origin is really important, and it's such a trope, like you go to a psychologist, they're like, tell me about your mother, but it's these are your first important, close, loving relationships and they absolutely form the person that you are. It doesn't ye as I said before, it doesn't need to be an abusive or neglectful household to create problems later down the line. People are doing the most parents, I should say, not all are doing the best they can, and it can still sometimes cause some issues down the track. Right, So early experiences, how we navigate threat, how we perceive relationships, how I should be in a relationship. You put these all together, and as I said before, from an internal family system's perspective, that environment, your temperament, people start to kind of create all different parts of the self to manage. And yeah, I do think that it's usually when the current context some kind of trigger and the whole system can't cope anymore. What you've done your whole life to get by all of a sudden doesn't work anymore. That's when we tend to see this sort of system collapse, and which can look like depression, and other people could look like raging anxiety or like some sort of narcissistic personalities. It can look so different, but for some people it looks like depression.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I know that we've been doing a lot of myth busting, and something I've heard about is that depression is often talked about as something to fix or cure from a clinical perspective. What's unhelpful or even harmful around phrasing like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's I can feel it right, It's like, yeah, I mean, nobody wants to feel depressed, like sadness sucks. People want to be better, and that's totally normal and natural and has to be validated. They don't want to be feeling like this, and they want to fix it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: At the same time, you really have to hold that there's still nothing wrong with the person. Fixing Your curing implies that they're broken, that there's something really wrong with them. And so yeah, when it comes to sort of thinking through fixing or curing, like you don't want to eliminate the depression. You know, I'm coming from a perspective where I'm trying to understand it, lean into it, listen to it, figure out what wisdom has And it's more about armoring up their depression or unburdening it from whatever it's carrying so that it can kind of play nicely with the rest of the person's internal system rather than banishing it further. So that's kind of how that cure fixed thing can be. Yeah, not always helpful, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: And it's hard, right because we're in this kind of system that can be very deficit based, right, So it's like, how do we find the compassion and how do we encourage people? Because I can imagine that can feel quite disempowering when someone's like, oh, what do you mean? Because is essentially like, is depression something? And again I know I'm using deficit based language, but is it something that is going to be with you forever? Or can it go away?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, it can definitely go away. Okay, it's not like a life sentence. It's something that, yeah, they can be cured and not just and not just people can get better and get back to normal. I don't want to oversell what psychologists can do, but I do believe that when people do their own work, they could be better than normal. Like you can motivate people to do great things. They can understand themselves better, be more self compassionate, understand the world differently. I really think that, yeah, you cannot just get better, but you can get like better better.
Speaker 2: That's really good to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's hard. I'm not saying it's.
Speaker 3: Like easy, like totally six sessions and like yeah, yeah, totally yeah, And so it can be everyone's journey is going to look different, So it's hard to kind of prescribe that it's going to look a certain way, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: It actually reminds me of an episode we've done previously, and we actually talked about, you know, post traumatic stress, but then we also talked about post traumatic growth and just how like so much can come from it as well. So I really love like just your framing around that just kind of again, it doesn't affect how hard it is, but it also kind of instills a bit of hope around what could come from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm constantly balancing hope and also their pain, because if you're too hopeful and too jolly and pollyannering the kind of like come on, let's pick you up, that can feel really invalidating. But at the same time, yeah, you really want to I want to hold that like this really could be different. That is not everyone's experience. There are definitely people out there that had this chronic, lifelong depression that never lifts don't think that that's the case for everyone or even most. You know, it might be something that comes and goes, but it's yeah, it's not this intractable disease that you have to manage forever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's really good to know. More of my conversation with Julie after the break. It's interesting even you're talking about something that comes and goes. It gets me thinking about why might some people feel better for a while, but then they feel like they kind of slip back into depression, Like why does that happen?
Speaker 1: It could be that, like the recovery was something that was sort of short lived, and from a parts based perspective, you could say that like a protective part of the self just sort of another one got created and jumped out and sort of came to save the day. But if the underlying stuff is still there, then that poor new protective part that comes out, Let's say it's maybe a new cognitive restructuring exercise that really helps them to think positively, and it's very logical, and it's you know, they've got a really good internal positive voice. It's not that that's bad or that they shouldn't have that, but it might only it might have a shelf life, it might only be able to do so much, and that whatever sort of driving that underlying depression could still be there and therefore, you know, it comes up later. That's not always the case, if like, sometimes it's genuinely something really shit happens in life, like really and it's really heartbreaking when that happens in the therapy room, right Like these great people who are just trying to live their lives and something awful happens to them. It's probably quite natural to have a relapsed depression, like if you lose a job, or you know, something tragic happens, they lose someone in their life, what else. Sometimes it's maybe not a really horrible negative thing that's happened to them, but just the situation, a new environment that they're in starts to trigger some other part of the self that they didn't know was there. So maybe they start a new job and they've got a boss who's just really micromanagy and sort of you know, always looks over their work, and all of a sudden, they start to feel like a failure again. And then it's snowballs, and then they start to feel like they're getting everything wrong and that nobody trusts them. That's an example of how an environment can start to trigger all these kind of ways of being and parts of self that they might not have been there at their last job when they were trusted very well and you know they could just do their own thing, have their freedom.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it can be like a lot, so many little things can kind of come in. It doesn't have to be that you finish therapy last time. I like to think of if you have depression, try to think of therapy like something that you start and then you take a break, and then something else will come up later, and then you'll start again, and then you'll look into another piece of it, and then you might stop for a bit, and then you might be in a completely different life stage. You're in your fifties and you're hitting your career, and then well it's back. Then you go back and then you see what else is there. It's a journey. It's a lovely journey. No, it doesn't have to be something that you like finish and tick, you get a star and then you wander away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Happy. That doesn't mean that can't be like a joyful, happy experience. Continuing to work on your depression throughout your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, definitely. So for anyone that's tuning in right and they might be feeling a little overwhelmed around they feel like they may have depression, they're not too sure what would be a realistic first step for them, Like, what would you advise?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you feel like something's off and you're really sad and you feel like your life is crap and you feel terrible about yourself, I'm on the side of not caution, like as in, I don't think I'll wait to see how it goes. Start having a chat with your GP. You can even start with something like we don't have to fix this now, but I'd like to flag that I've been feeling really low and I've got all this stuff going on, but I kind of feel like I'm not myself, And I'd just be thinking, like if you're even thinking, oh am I depressed, Like it's a good chance you need help. You don't have to wait until you meet like the full diagnostic craky, Like you can just start the conversation, start thinking about what's driving this, you know Google, some therapists take some small steps. Yeah, definitely, your instincts are right. You're probably not very happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so true though when you talk about instincts, like our body already knows. It's just we like our mind and all the thoughts and our partners are just catching up with the actual moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good reminder as well. If you're not really sure what's going on, you can check in with your body too. If you're having I don't know, like hives, if you're sleeping all the time, if you get like a raging cults or outbreak and that's not normal for you. You know, even if your digestive health is like looking really wonky, it just it just that's that can be the body kind of going hey, like something's not right here. I couldn't tell you what physical manifestations you'll see as a result of depression as such, but it's usually relating to heaviness, some kind of weight. That's a general theme.
Speaker 2: Heaviness weight as in like a feeling.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, feeling like a feel really heavy, feeling like everything's really hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then also like I guess that kind of comes back to what you were saying before around also just taking a bird's eye view around how you're showing up in your daily life as well, right, Yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Trying to get some perspective and think is this normal for me? Have I been here before? Those sorts of things.
Speaker 2: That can really help when it comes to when you work with clients in the therapy room, and I know you've kind of already spoken a little bit about how it is a journey, how do you or even like people tuning in who might be feeling a bit unmotivated or just a bit disempowered about the progress they're making in the clinic, or just they feel like therapy was working now it's not working, Like, what would you want to say to them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really good question. I would say, once again, trust your gut, right, Like, if you're kind of like something's kind of a bit stuck here, Like, you know, I keep going to sessions and we talk about stuff, but it's not really changing much. It doesn't mean that you're correct and you should fire your therapist immediately, although that is an option, that is an option, But so you want to be checking in with first, like is this just a really frustratingly slow process and you are making progress, but it's just really slow and you're really annoyed and you want it to be faster, and I'd be inquiring what part of you would like this to be done. What part of you is like the overperformer that tries to do everything really quickly, that fixes things, that is efficient, that gets stuff done, and then they're now trying to like apply their skill set to treating depression. It's often that needs a gentler touch. So there's that can be something that's going on, but I would absolutely encourage people to bring it up with their therapist. A good therapist will really welcome this sort of discussion. Not everyone's perfect. If they get defensive, though, I'd be a bit like, you know, like we can see someone else. You don't have to you don't have to show them any loyalty, right, They're there for you, and if the click, if it's not working and something feels a bit off, you can absolutely just say, you know, take a break and maybe look for someone else. We really, I don't think we take it personally like we get it. We're not the person for everyone. I think they would welcome a conversation like, hey, so you know, we've seen each other for quite a while and I'm just getting this sense that like, something's not moving. You know, my goal's wrong? Is it that we need to kind of change tack? Do we both need to take a step back and kind of go like what do we want to achieve here? You can also ask as well, like is there any any blocks that you can see that like I can't see? That kind of invites them to actually tell you it's like, oh, yes, every time we start to talk about something stressful, you start to talk about something else. Oh right, that's why I'm not getting better.
Speaker 2: Oh it's my resistance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hello and welcome. Yeah. So I think that's what I would encourage people to do if there was kind of a bit like oh, this isn't really going anywhere. Yeah, yeah, have.
Speaker 2: The honest conversation and collaboration.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, it's about collaboration. It doesn't have to be this huge confrontation. You're not accusing them of not doing the right thing. You're just kind of saying what you're noticing and trying to figure out if there's a path ahead that, like do we need to kind of switch it up a bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: We spoke about antidepressants before, and something I'm curious about is when should we consider something like antidepressants or like do we even need medication?
Speaker 1: You don't have to treat depression with medication, So if you don't want to, you don't have to. There's antidepressants or a class of medication. There's lots of different types within that broad umbrella term, but SS all right, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. They are the most commonly prescribed, and your GP can prescribe an antidepressant. You don't have to go to a psychiatrist, and you know that's.
Speaker 2: Expensive and essentially, just so I'm understanding too, So taking the antidepressants is.
Speaker 1: Like is it.
Speaker 2: Bringing up your serotonin levels? Is that what's going on in the brain?
Speaker 1: Or it makes more serotonin available in the brain. That's a really rudimentary sort of explanation. And serotonin is good at least, like the right amount of serotonin is good. How it works is that it blocks the synapses that usually reuptake your serotonin from the synapse, and in doing that and blocking the reuptake, it means that there's more available and that can help your brain to form new branches and have more serotonin available to create that. I mean, people really just describe it like a bit of a feeling of like it's okay, love, Everything's going to be all right, don't worry about that. Yeah. So yeah, it blocks the serotonin receptor, so there's more serotonin available that it's not being reuptaped by synapse.
Speaker 2: Okay, Just for anyone's tuning in who might be thinking about someone in their life that might be going through depression right now? How can you support someone without taking on too much responsibility for their well being?
Speaker 1: Ah? Yeah, that one's like I do really feel for people who are caring for someone who is depressed because, ah, like you, particularly if it's someone close to you, you experience the effects of their depression right, Like you might get their irritability or you you get like half the person that you normally get, right, and all you want is to have that person back. And depression is it is an illness which people being not proactive at all. So I just want to say it's really hard as someone who is caring for someone with depression, try to look after yourself and understand that this could this could be a longer road than you want it to be. Like you want them just to kind of go get help, get better, goodbye. But it's often not like that. I think the reason why depression becomes so self perpetuating is the person actually hates their depression too, And then if someone else jumps in and like piles on and goes, yeah, I hate that you feel so low or you know, you feel so lazy you don't want to do anything, it can just end up making it so much worse for that person. It's so hard to do. But for people that are caring for a love someone who is really depressed, looking after yourself obviously, if you're trying to fix another person, I'd probably be going, hey, like, maybe you want to go and do your own work, because there's something happening there. If you need someone to get better so badly, there's nothing wrong with you. But like it's like working on yourself and seeing a psychologist yourself can be probably the most helpful thing you can do for the person who's depressed, right, Yeah, true, But also you know they try to come from a place of like compassion and curiosity with their sadness. Try to rather than just trying to fix it, just see if you can get to know more about it. Ask him a few questions. What's that like? Because that helps someone feel not so.
Speaker 2: Lonely, you know, yeah, definitely, yeah, yeah, Well, thank you so much for this conversation and shining a light on a topic that can often be hidden in the shadows and not want to talk about. And I think what I really heard from today's episode is that depression is going to look different for everyone, and it's really about tuning into your body. You know what you need to do, get the support you need. We've got we live in an incredible country like Australia where we have acts to things like that, So breaking down the stigma you're not in it alone and get what you need, get what you need.
Speaker 1: I acknowledge it cost money sometimes to go see someone. That's a thing, but it's a worthwhile investment.
Speaker 2: I'd say I always love a good Mythbusking episode. Thanks Julie for sharing your insights with us when it comes to the topic on depression. You can find links to her work in our show notes. If there's a topic you would like us to discuss, or I guess you think would be a great fit for this podcast, please get in touch with us at podcast at momamea dot com dot au or sliding to our dms on Instagram at but Are You Happy? Podcast? Also, if you haven't already, would love a review on Apple or Spotify. It really helps the show to grow, and of course, if there's anything in today's episode that has brought up difficult feelings for you, organizations like Lifeline and Beyond Blue are always there for free and confidential support. Thanks for listening. You need again next Saturday for another episode of but Are You Happy. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters on which this podcast was recorded