Speaker 1: So you're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. I'm a Shiny Dante host of But Are You Happy? Did you know that one in five Australians experience and mental health condition each year, Yet too many suffer in silence.
Speaker 3: Talking about our feelings and experiences.
Speaker 2: Is one of the most powerful steps towards healing and knowing we're not alone. That's why we're introducing I Never Told You This, a series created to spark honest, meaningful conversations that support better mental well being, brought to you by Medibank.
Speaker 4: I have anxiety myself. I don't even know what to do with it. Do you know how to deal with it? I feel like we don't really know how to deal with it. We just kind of get up and just seize the day. It doesn't matter how you're feeling.
Speaker 5: Soldier on two people, One big reveal. I Never Told You This a simple card game where one question could change everything.
Speaker 1: It starts LI whats more things brings you enjoying?
Speaker 3: I'm not going to answer that.
Speaker 5: Then comes the moment that could shift a relationship forever. As they finished this sentence, I never told you this.
Speaker 3: I've never told you. They never told you this.
Speaker 5: Today, Reality TV influences mother and daughter duo Mary and Martha Califdidas will be sitting down together.
Speaker 3: Quite nervous, but I'm always nervous.
Speaker 5: Mary has something big to reveal to her daughter.
Speaker 3: I don't think she's expecting me to say what I'm going to say. Welcome, Martha.
Speaker 1: Oh, thanks for having me Mary. This is a bit new for us. I know.
Speaker 3: Welcome. So today we're going to play a little game with the Medibank family roast cards. Are you ready to play?
Speaker 4: Yes, let's get into this game. I think we need a little game.
Speaker 3: So who picks?
Speaker 1: Maybe you go for it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Are you ready?
Speaker 3: Oh? What is the most ridiculous fashion trend you ever followed?
Speaker 4: Those thick fat belts that were like a boob trip and we'd wear them over the jeans. That has to be one of the ugliest things I ever did. I'm five foot and that made me four foot two.
Speaker 3: I probably told you, but you wouldn't probably listen.
Speaker 1: Here we go. She had to throw that one in my face.
Speaker 3: Just saying kid, just saying all right.
Speaker 4: So I'll pick a card. Oh, what is something I do that grosses you out? I don't think you do anything they do not.
Speaker 1: No, that's right, good answer, Mary. What about me? I don't because I can say so many things.
Speaker 3: I bring it to the table. Cutting your cuticles, well, that's just like meditation.
Speaker 4: If you go and get that done and then you like to do more and just keep cutting the cuticles, it must be a nervous It's definitely a nervous habit.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll take that, all right, go next? Oh is that me? What do you think your most useless talent is? You got plenty of those.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've got any. I just there's no time for uselessness in our family.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: What about how you.
Speaker 4: Can you start singing every single commercial song that's ever come on since like nineteen eighty fifties from the Earth.
Speaker 3: I'm going to pick the next card. I never told you this. When you went on reality TV, all these comments would come in on social media. It actually affected me, but I didn't want to show you that it was affecting me. All these comments that were coming in, and I'd be staying up till three four in the morning and I didn't realize how toxic social media can be. I didn't know as a parent how I can comfort you.
Speaker 4: No, I can totally understand how that would have affected you. With the trolls on the internet, they think they know me, but you really know me, and so you were reading things that weren't true, and then that would be just endless cycle.
Speaker 3: Now you're a parent, and I'm sure you would probably do the.
Speaker 4: Same now that I'm a parent, I just want to protect him from.
Speaker 3: Everything I could only imagine. And that's why I didn't want to burden you with I've got anxiety, I can't sleep, I was I had shortness of breath, like I was thinking, Mum, don't yeah, but that's how it was.
Speaker 1: I think to.
Speaker 4: Some degree I did have some idea, because you did start acting really strange. I definitely think. I know you were staying up really late looking at comments, and I remember just being too like, don't worry about it, man, like it's fine. But I think at the time I didn't want to show you either that it was affecting me, so I would just say oh to you, like it doesn't matter, but really, like I would be in my room staying up breading the comments as well. So I have anxiety myself. I don't even know what to do with it. Do you know how to deal with it? I feel like we don't really know how to deal with it. We just kind of move on with the day and just keep the day going. But doesn't mean that the anxiety.
Speaker 1: Goes away.
Speaker 2: The rest of this episode of I never told you this right after the break.
Speaker 3: Thinking back, I should have just been more open and told you, like, you know what, it's normal to feel this way, because I'm feeling this way. Yeah, I think if this had done that, we probably would have been able to, you know, commute and pack it and then just deal with it in the open instead of dealing with it separately in.
Speaker 1: Our different rooms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's very That's very much what our family does, though we're not very good at revealing, which is strange because we're so open. That's about everything about movements and everything, because we've brought up to be like quite hard.
Speaker 1: And like strong and t body.
Speaker 3: No, you can't get over it, get up.
Speaker 1: And just seize the day. It doesn't matter how you're feeling. Soldier on.
Speaker 3: When I was growing up, our parents were very strict. They never showed emotion. They never you know, I.
Speaker 1: Just find that hard to believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it is like the most softest, sweetest, gentlest, emotional, loving caring.
Speaker 3: It wasn't when we were growing up.
Speaker 1: I just find it hard to believe she was strict. Get up. See what old age does? It really soft?
Speaker 3: It breaks you down with like searching and being like my own little detective. I noticed that a lot of these comments weren't coming from young kids that were just being mean. These were from parents that had kids. How could you try and destroy someone else's child. People want kids to be kind, but they don't teach them the tools to be kind and not to bring other people down. You know, like kids are mean today. I hate that.
Speaker 1: I learn that from somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. The parents are the ones that need to actually change.
Speaker 4: I kind of feel a bit sad for you in a way that you kind of dealt with that on your own.
Speaker 3: That's what parents do, you know. They try to protect I think their kids as much as they can. You know, So if your son was dealing with anxiety, how would you help him?
Speaker 1: Growing up?
Speaker 4: You always said those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter. It doesn't really matter because who are these people to you? As long as like you know, you, your friends, your family, the people that you care about, the opinions of others don't really matter.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: At least you've got something, something stuck from all those years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not easy being a parent.
Speaker 4: It's so not it's the hardest thing ever. It's so not easy being a parent. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, Mary, No worries any time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's nice to know that you're human under all that. Yeah, it's nice to know that under all there there is actually some flesh and blood.
Speaker 1: Well done, fish pump.
Speaker 3: Oh is that something we do still?
Speaker 2: This episode was brought to you by Medibank. Live Better with Medibank. If this conversation brought up any strong feelings for you, don't forget There is help out there. Please see show notes for resources.