Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and warders that this podcast is recorded on. So I'm going to cancel my plans.
Speaker 3: Wooh, canceled plans.
Speaker 2: Like think culturally about how much now we celebrate introversion, canceled plans. I don't have to go to mom's boundaries, like all the things that where we're like, we want to build a little wall around ourselves. And I think it's because we just want to be alone with our phones, right because it's easy. Hello, and welcome to Mama Mia out Loud and to our Friday's show. You won't hear any news on the show today, which is a shame. Actually it's lucky because hardly anything's happened.
Speaker 4: This week, really slow, very quiet news week. Anyway, we are taking a deep breath, we are leaving all of that in the week behind us and just.
Speaker 2: Having to chat up today.
Speaker 4: It's Friday, the.
Speaker 2: Twenty fourth of January, and I'm Holly Waynwright, I'm mea.
Speaker 3: Freeman, and I'm Jesse Stevens.
Speaker 2: And on the show today, are you more anti social than you used to be, than your parents were, than you'd like to be welcome friends to the anti social century, where we just like everyone.
Speaker 3: Else to bubble us.
Speaker 2: Also a Doctomea is obsessed with a podcast for super fans and a trademark Jesse Stevens depressing TV show. Yes It's Recommendations and our best and Worst of the week. Jesse had a very bad Tuesday. I met a beautiful super villain and MEA's brain is betraying her. But first I want to ask you about something. Should children stand up when an adult enters the room?
Speaker 3: I don't hate it? Do you hate it?
Speaker 1: Or if I want to sit down?
Speaker 2: They should?
Speaker 1: And there's not enough chairs?
Speaker 2: Oh wow?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Should they stand up when their mother enters the room? I'm asking because Maria Shriver, who's a Kennedy of sorts and Arnold Schwarzenegger's ex wife, says she has always made her for now adult kids do that. Here's what she says about it.
Speaker 5: When Maria comes into her home and there are children there, her sons, her daughters and their friends, they stand up. Yeah, I make them stand up, she makes them so. I used to make them. Now they just do stand up. Yeah, but yeah, well my mother did that so I've there's many things that I've emulated from my mother, but she my grandmother and my mother, and we're big on manners. So you know, when somebody who was older walked in the room, aka my mother, everybody stood up.
Speaker 2: Jesse, your daughters just started walking. Is it time to implement this on your feet? Luna?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 6: She kind of does it now because often when I walk into a room, she wants to be picked up. So this is probably the only moment in my life where she will do it. I don't hate this. I reckon it says, I acknowledge you. I like what Shriver says about you often walk into a room and kids are on tablets or phones or television. It's like you're just white noise in the background. I reckon, do what you want your own house to teach respect and etiquette. But I look back at my childhood and no hate my parents, but there were some basic etiquette rules. I feel as though I missed and I had to learn in adulthood what I only learned very recently that when you're at a table with people and you pour yourself a glass of water, like at a restaurant or something, then you should also pour them a.
Speaker 3: Glass of water.
Speaker 6: I was never taught that because I didn't really go out to dinner that much, so I didn't know. And also I remember going to a girl I went to high school with. We were maybe fifteen, and she had like a dinner party at her house and she wanted to have like a soiree and anyway, and they served as dinner, and I didn't know what to do with my knife and fork. I didn't know where to start. I didn't know what to do when it was finished, and her mother came over and made some comment about like, no one's ever taught you to use a knife for fork, and I was like.
Speaker 3: Your daughter is a bitch.
Speaker 6: I would prather not know how to use a knife for fork than be satan maya.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine a world in which you entered a room and your children all stood up?
Speaker 1: It made me think of that expression if you want someone to be happy when you get home and you've got teenagers by a dog, And I do have a dog, and my dog now both my dogs is very she jumps. Both of them jump up, actually.
Speaker 3: Which is a behavioral issue.
Speaker 1: One of them leaps up to the height of my head. I wanted to not like this. I wanted to think it was draconian, but I think at its heart is and we're going to be talking about this a little bit later in the show, but it's about acknowledging someone's humanity and their presence and looking them in the eye. I'm very strict with manners with my kids. I mean, it's funny. My adult son was at my house the other day and my mum came over. She really wanted to see her now adult grandchildren and my sons. My daughter of course, was talking to my mum. My two sons were on their phones, texting, doing something, and I elbowed my eldest son, who is twenty seven, and said, get over your phone, like put your phone down. And he looked daggers at me and said, do not ever say that to me. Well I will. I must say that to you. I'll say that to you again. Pick up a phone again, I'll say it again. Can't stop me doing.
Speaker 2: But there's a world of difference, right because I agree with you. Like when I walk into my house and I'm like hi and nobody says anything, I get really shitty and I'll be like you will come and say Hello. But there's a world of difference between looking up from a phone and actually like standing up straight.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, you know, like the questious knowledgy someone walking into a room is really important. And I think the thing with phones. I once read this about a director who would not let phones on his set, and he talked about how, even if you weren't directly involved in the part of the conversation that was happening at that time, one person looking at their phone leeches energy out of the conversation, even if they're not interrupting or anything like that. And that's true. And so when my two sons were doing that, and my mum, I know, knew, was so excited to be over and seeing them, and they were probably doing whatever urgent thing has to be done in the moment, which is never very urgent. It was leeching energy out of the interaction, out of conversation. It was really to humanized.
Speaker 6: Do you think that because she's Maria Shreiver and her children are with Arnold Schwarzenegger and they have four kids, do you think that the expectation if you're a parent and you know, you're famous, you're rich, you're privileged that you have to raise your children in a particular way to almost circumvent that, so that your children have almost more respect that Kennedy.
Speaker 1: My mother, Unice is a Kennedy.
Speaker 2: I think that's more part of it. It's very waspy, old school like respect, you know, call me mom like vibes. It's very that. But also, yes, you often hear celebrities talk about how important manners are in their kids because I think they think that everybody thinks their kids are going to be entitled brats and they want to counter program. But I still think there is a lot of difference between manners. And you have to stand up when I walk in the room. I just can't even imagine it.
Speaker 6: Holly has a role a parenting. You know how Holly gives out so much parenting at all. And I've actually kept this one, and it's that when you or child walks or crawls or rolls into a room, you smile at them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Always, you always have to be happy to see them.
Speaker 3: You always have to be happy to see them. That's a good rule.
Speaker 6: The Anti Social Century that's the cover story on the February issue of The Atlantic, written by Derek Thompson. He opens the feature with a vignette of a bar or imagine a restaurant right, and the tables and chairs are empty. The bar where people once sat, maybe even solo talking to the bar man or woman, is now covered in brown paper bags, and a person walks in, takes their bag, barely speaks to the stuff, and retreats back to their home. Thompson argues that solitude is impacting our personalities. There are a bunch of statistics. Drinks with friends has declined by thirty percent over twenty years. Rituals of togetherness like going to the cinema has been replaced by watching a movie at home. And solitude, he says, is different to loneliness. Loneliness is an important human emotion. It gives us a biological queue to go and seek out a social experience. The thing about solitude is that we're choosing it. We predict that alone time will make us happier, and all the research says it absolutely does not.
Speaker 3: Solitude has also.
Speaker 2: Agree with the research. She disagrees with the research.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm going to tell you how it's transformed the economy and then politics, and then I'm going to go come back to you. Solitude has transformed the economy. You know, we talk about remote work. There is a researcher named Patrick Sharky who calls it remote life, with the entire economy oriented around how to allow us to stay within our own four walls. Now you might say, okay, doesn't that mean we're spending more time with our families? And in fact, some research suggests we are our intimate partner for example. But what's missing is what they call the middle circle, the neighbors, the people in our little village. And while the close ring kids partners teach us love and intimacy, the middle ring teaches us something called tolerance, and it's foundational to a democracy. That's how solitude is changing politics.
Speaker 1: So the middle ring do you mean? Just the interactions that we have with people getting on the busy, sitting in the buying something in a shop.
Speaker 6: The example they gave too was like, so you know, there's a panc at a school and you go and you might go and hang out with other mums or dads and chat to them, and this mum is totally different to you. You don't agree on most things, but you bond over the fact your daughters do netball. That's what's missing is what the research is suggesting. May I please defend solitude?
Speaker 3: Go on try.
Speaker 1: I think the thing is I agree with a part about tolerance, and I'll get to that in a second. But I think that the biggest problem that we are trying to solve by spending more time alone is that we are never alone ever, And what being alone means has really changed because everyone you've ever met and everyone in the world, in fact, even Elon Musk is with you at all times in your pocket, but he's.
Speaker 2: Not in a meaningful And also the definition of this and the purposes of this research is being physically alone in a room.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so this is where I think that the research and this whole very overwrought piece in The Atlantic, which I was interested to read, but I found it missed. The main point is that being online when you're by yourself is like a third thing, because there's being alone, actually alone with your thoughts or in the garden. There's being with people in a social context or going sitting in the movies, and then there is being online alone and that's almost a facsimile of socializing. I think it's a third thing, and what it can be is very very fatiguing. So I found that when I did a No Filter episode a while back about the seven different types of rest, and it talked about sometimes when you're exhausted, which I often found myself last year and the year before, I would get enough sleep. Sleep's never been a problem for me, but I was still tired, and it was because I was I needed social rest. There's all these different types of rest, and sleep is actually just one of them. Social rest is really important to have rest being away from other people. So while I need to be alone physically and have physical space because our job is very social, we work in an office full of one hundred people, when I go home, I'm still socializing in many ways. So it's not like the olden days where you would go home and you would be alone, literally alone. And I'm not saying that it is the same and that is the same quality, but we're filling up on chips, we're filling up on this other thing of socializing online. That means that we are socially fatigued all the time. And the other thing that it does is, of course, as you say, we've lost our tolerance for the friction of being in the world. So when you spend a lot of time on your own or when you spend a lot of time online, and our whole world is on demand. I can do everything when I want to do it. I don't have to wait, I don't have to be bored, I don't have to be frustrated. I don't have to talk to the person I don't want to talk to then when you have to, You're right, that muscle is really really weak.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I find these articles a little bit exhausting because it's like, well, what do you want to do? You can't put the genie back in the.
Speaker 2: Bottom, but what it's doing, which I found interesting because I agree with you. And actually they do make that point about how if we're canceling in real life social events because we feel socially fatigued from being online. That's one of the things he points out. He says that sometimes people might think, oh, I'm lonely and i'm sad, I haven't seen anyone frages, I'll make some plans, but instead we go I'm lonely, I'm sad, and I feel socially exhausted because I've been online. Yeah, so I'm going to cancel my plans, woh, canceled plans Like think culturally about how much now we celebrate introversion canceled plans. I don't have to go to Mum's boundaries, like all the things that where we're like, we want to build a little wall around ourselves. And I think it's because we just want to be alone with our phones, right, because it's easy, and that's what we really want.
Speaker 3: To do, and we can put it down when we feel that, yeah.
Speaker 2: Exact ways that we can't.
Speaker 1: So texting with a friend is not necessarily a conversation, even if you're doing it in real time. It's a series of monologues. But I think that it's not the same thing. We feel fatigued because you know, for example, I had a wedding to go to last week, and I was feeling, oh, I'm so tired because I knew it was going to take a lot of social energy and I don't have a lot of social energy. That muscle of small talk of all of those things you can't control has become very flabby for me. And yet when I went there, I had the most lovely conversations. I came back feeling so nourished. It's like eating a big nutritious meal instead of fuzz food five hundred.
Speaker 6: Percent that our phones and the internet is one part of the story, but not the whole story. So there was some research in this article and it's something that's replicated in Australia, which is that from the nineteen seventies governments have wound back on the creation of public spaces. Politically, we went from a focus on community and government provided services to going very neoliberal, very individualistic, and everyone was just in charge of themselves.
Speaker 2: And also everybody retreated to their televisions. It's really interesting how they say that in this article. They make the point that in that time we gained about six hours of leisure time a week because of various technological advances, and we gave them all to the TV. Yeah, and it's kind of like, now, you know, technology is making our life easier every day in lots of ways, and what do we do with those extra hours? We give them to our phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He wrote about though, was that the demographic that is sort of experiencing the most solitude and is choosing it is young men. And there was this brilliant term that a philosopher named Andrew Taggart came up with, which was secular monks. So no, how a monk goes about their life in a really disciplined way. I mean, ironically, monks are in a group and they have the community of worshiping.
Speaker 1: Didn't have a scitus to why they were doing that. Is it to watch porn and game?
Speaker 6: No? No, Basically he talks about and I've been served this in my algorithm.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been served with the morning routine of a young man.
Speaker 2: I've been served lots of morning routines. I don't think any men.
Speaker 6: Okay, the young man will get up and hill. We've talked about this before, have the cold plunge, do the exercise. In fact, this is very Brian Johnson, who we talk about on yesterday's Subscribe episode. But the morning routine is very controlled and very I have my breakfast and I have my vitamins and then I.
Speaker 3: Do my exercise.
Speaker 1: So als of that optimizing.
Speaker 6: Stuff, optimizing stuff. What you will never see in the morning routine is another person. So it's like even the exercise. And I've said this to Luca, I've watched it and as a lot of these men work from home as well, and I think when was the last time this person saw another person.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: That's what I found fascinating about this is you think that's.
Speaker 1: Because women are inherently more social creatures and we have more caring responsibilities. So often the only time you'll get alone, the only time I get alone often is in my car. Often you're not even alone on the toilet when you're always got little kids in your house.
Speaker 3: This theory.
Speaker 6: I was listening to Trevor Noa the other day and he had the best serie, which is that women were pushed out of the workplace and into their homes for a lot of years, right, and they had to find a way to fill their time with connection, whether it was book clubs, whether it was coffee dates, whether it was being able to have a great conversation. Men haven't practiced that to the same degree like they're up.
Speaker 2: Until very recently, or they got it at work.
Speaker 3: They got it at work, which we do now too.
Speaker 6: Yes, And so women could easily go into the workplace when we were allowed because we were just kind of like, oh, our brains can do this. But men now have this whole region of their life that it's like, I'm not practiced in how to fill this and connect and do the things that maybe come a little bit more naturally to women, probably because we've also seen them in our mothers and our grandmothers and everything throughout generations. But I thought the point about young men was particularly poignant because we talk about loneliness, but I think that's a very different thing to choosing to be alone, which I'm seeing a lot of.
Speaker 3: They think they're okay, and from the outside, I go.
Speaker 2: It's interesting though, because one of the things I've always thought and said to people in my life, and I said to my kids, is you have to learn how to be happy with your own company. I think it's really important. I think that learning how to be alone is actually really conducive to you having a healthy life, because I know I and many many people around me with or without phone. This is not phone. I'm talking about real life. Like so maybe you've got your phone, maybe you haven't. But the point is is that people women in particular, have often been terrified of being alone, and because of that, they'll be in terrible relationships. They'll put up with friendships that are toxic, they'll put up with all kinds of things because they're like, I couldn't possibly be alone. Right, So I make it a point to say to my kids, you know, I went traveling alone. I moved across the world alone. I can walk into a restaurant alone, I can go to the movies alone. Like, I think it's good to learn how to be alone, because then you choose social connection when you want it. And I think that that's a good thing. But the problem with that is because now our lives have been redesigned that we do all want to be alone all the time. It's almost the flip, and now I'm like, you have to learn how to be around people that you don't particularly want to be around, like, because they get to choose everything about their lives and their interactions based on their technological choices and their algorithms. So now I'm more likely to be saying to them, you need to learn how to talk to strangers in a room. You need to learn how to be nice to Nana when she comes over, and you want to be looking at your thing like. It's interesting because I generally think that learning to love your own company is one of the important parts of happiness. But I think that's different from being isolated out loud as in a moment we're telling you about a TV drama and a docco and a podcast that probably we don't all agree a good but we all want you to listen too much.
Speaker 3: Friends.
Speaker 6: I was going to throw this in as my best this week, but then I thought, because we were doing a giveaway, it wouldn't look authentic. But I'm going to tell you about it anyway. I did a hike with my mum recently with the Tasmanian Walking Company and it was on Bruney Island. It was two nights, three days, and it was the most energizing, rejuvenating.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're just talking about solitude.
Speaker 6: This was walking with people that you know, I'd never met, and I had the most insightful conversations.
Speaker 3: Was their WiFi at points, but mostly not.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good thing. I'm saying because I think that's actually a wonderful thing. Sometimes you need to be forcibly removed because.
Speaker 2: We're all ready.
Speaker 1: But the pictures that you were posting on social those views were unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And the Tasmanian Walking Company are amazing. I did a walk with them with Penny last year. And because you get to stay in lovely places, so you're doing like the hard walking bit, but then you're staying somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Oh it's luxury.
Speaker 6: You get amazing wine, amazing food. There's hot teaen coffee.
Speaker 3: Look the reason I'm telling you about it.
Speaker 1: I'd be into that because I don't have to sleep in a tent.
Speaker 3: No, exactly right, the white linen sheets. It's fine.
Speaker 6: We are actually doing a give away where a lucky winner can win this holiday three days, two nights, adventure for two. It includes domestic flights and pre trip accommodation. It is valued up to ten thousand dollars. So what do you have to do to enter? Well, you have to be a Mumma subscriber. There's a link in the show notes. If you're not already, and if you are a subscriber, you are already entered, tick that off your list. For a limited time only, you can use the code walk twenty for twenty percent off a yearly subscription. This prize is going to be drawn on the third of February. Teas and seas, apply.
Speaker 2: Vibes, ideas atmosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 1: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 2: It's Friday and we want to set you up for your Weekend with our best recommendations, and I'm going to go first because mine is a little controversial. Oh well, Jesse always tells me that my recommendation is a crap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: And I've been thinking about that, and I've been like, sometimes I just recommend things that I think this is interesting. You should listen to it or read it necessarily it's excellent. All right, Okay, I think.
Speaker 1: They're usually crap. But I'm going to give a shout out to a couple like Black Doves and Rivals.
Speaker 3: Come on, you've been on a good run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon.
Speaker 1: She has a twenty percent. Strikes me slightly higher.
Speaker 2: As I'm always saying to me, people like different things, guys, people like different things. And someone is going to like this podcast, specifically, super fans of Sex and the City are going to like this podcast. We're about to go back into and just like that third season of the very polarizing latest foray into the Sex and the City multiverse. But anyway, Kristin Davis, who everybody knows plays Charlotte and Sex and the City, has just started a podcast. It's called are You a Charlotte?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Great title, It's not an amazing podcast as in, she has a guest on this one. They talk over each other a lot, you know, like we've been doing this long time. We're quite good at podcasting most of the time. Not always. Sometimes we get shouty. But if you love Love, Love, Sex and the City, you are going to love it, particularly the second episode. So the way it works is basically it's just her talking. And in the first episode she talked all about the pilot Sex and the City, and she went into excruciating detail about how she got the job, what the audition was like.
Speaker 1: That does she talk about Is it like one episode per episode?
Speaker 2: Not clear yet what the format's going to be, because the second episode was a conversation with a guest, and the guest was Sarah Winter. Now Sarah Winter is an Australian actress who was the very first face you ever saw on Sex in the City.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 2: So if you remember the pilot of Sex and the City, it opens with a gorgeous, skinny, white blonde lady in the back of a taxi and she was an English journalist who just moved from London to New York to live the single lady dream. And it all crumbles oh, they used to do sort of vox pops yes at the beginning, and she was basically setting up the whole premise that you know, New York's full of toxic bachelors, and she gets ghosted, not that they call that. Then she also was the first person to have sex and sex in the city, and she tells a very funny story about how she didn't know she was going to have to be nude, but then she was. And Kristin Davis says, oh, I remember sitting in my trailer getting my makeup done and a woman came running in and going.
Speaker 3: Quick, we need a couple of ice cubes for Sarah winter nipple.
Speaker 2: And then the two of them get talking about dating and dating in midlife and the weirdest dates they've ever been on, and Sarah Winter once went on a date with a man who only ate baby food, and also once went on a date with a guy first date who in the middle of the meal, went into the kitchen, picked up a pre arranged guitar and sat down and sang to her kissed the girl from Little Mermaid Musical, complete with fake Jamaican accent.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness, Oh wow, that's going to resonate for a lot.
Speaker 1: Of similar story that says cringe as that is in Britney Spears's memoir when she talked about Justin Timberlake playing the guitar after her abortion.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, like just put the guitars away, guys. Anyway, So if you are a sex and the city, there is a lot of detail in this. Kristin Davis is very likable. The question of are you as Charlotte she kind of ends on. She decides she's not really even a Charlotte self, et cetera. If you like Second City, you and love it. That's my record.
Speaker 6: This week, I want to recommend a TV show. It is called Lockerbye, A Search for Truth. It's on seven plus.
Speaker 2: And find it will not be fine.
Speaker 6: It is about the Lockerby air disaster, which I vaguely knew about.
Speaker 3: Holly, were you filved through this day?
Speaker 6: Yes, So basically what happened was on the twenty first of December nineteen eighty eight, a pan Am flight that was going from Heathrow to New York exploded over a small town in Scotland called Lockerby.
Speaker 3: So this is a true story.
Speaker 1: That's I love how you say it's a true story. As if there aren't some of us who are listening who were alive the old day.
Speaker 3: I remember there are some. This is two years before I was born.
Speaker 6: Two hundred and fifty nine people were killed, as well as eleven residents, and it was just the most terrific disaster. So this is all set up in the first episode, but the rest of the series follows Dr Jim Swire played by Colin first Sor.
Speaker 1: It's a drama.
Speaker 3: It's a drama.
Speaker 1: Do they ever find out who did it? What happened?
Speaker 3: Well, that's what this whole series is about.
Speaker 4: Planes.
Speaker 3: Gonda, my child is on that plane.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, three two hundred and seventy people killed. Intelligence sources believe it to have been a revenge attack by Iran. Mardy Guthrie.
Speaker 1: I'm a journalist.
Speaker 2: Trim Swire. Flora's fate one of param's busiest times of the year. That was one hundred and sixty five seats empty. O doesn't say it was odd.
Speaker 3: And everyone I've spoken to was gone.
Speaker 1: Who did that again?
Speaker 3: Because there was so much confusion.
Speaker 1: I don't remember when that was the Cold War and there was a lot of argibardi between Russia and America. And was it Russia? Was it Russia? No accident?
Speaker 6: So his daughter Flora was on that flight. He was a GP and became fixated on this case. He was in the courtroom every single day. I won't spoil it because someone was convicted, but there are question marks that Dr Jim Swire still has about who did it. So Lockerbee that's on Binge and seven plus I've.
Speaker 1: Got something a little lighter, but coincidentally, also on Binge, it's a documentary about Saturday Night Live. Anybody could do comedy. I could teach all they'll the hey how to tell jokes of be comedy. But are you funny? Essenel was the biggest show every day. There was nothing like it.
Speaker 4: Presents an American institution. I got a fever.
Speaker 5: And the only perception is Mark Capbell. Any questions you may be wondering why you've never heard this story before.
Speaker 4: I don't know what's story you hard, but this is what happened. You know what.
Speaker 3: It's fine, Let's.
Speaker 2: Just do the thing.
Speaker 3: Everything you're about to see has nothing to see before.
Speaker 2: Hi, here we go.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I'm Amy Pohler.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's enough. SNL is celebrating its fiftieth anniversary this year, and this documentary is in four parts. If you're not familiar with Saturday Night Live, who even are you? It's the most iconic comedy show ever made. It still is on. It's been going, as I said, for fifty years. It's still helmed by the same guy, guy called Lorne Michaels, who is this figure of sort of mystery and is absolutely iconic. And some of the people that have come from Saturday Night Live, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Amy Pohler, Preet Davidson, Christin Wig, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy. Going back, I've watched three of the four episodes. It doesn't go back too much to like the origins of it. I've read like an oral history book about Saturday Night Live, because I'm just so fascinated by Lawn, who's like this Bengali. I'm fascinated about the way it all works, because literally, they record at midnight on Saturday night or eleven thirty or something, and they start the show with nothing at the beginning of the week and a guest celebrity host, and then by Saturday night, the line is that they don't put the show to air because it's ready. They put the show to air because it's time and so in the first part they go through a whole lot of people, famous people like Tina Fe and Amy Pola and all of them, and they talk about their audition and you see their audition tapes because the audition process is extraordinary. That episode's called five Minutes, and then there's a they spend a week in the writer's room, quite a recent week when Iowa Debiri was the guest host, and it shows behind the scenes of what that week's like. It's so good, it's fantastic. So that's on binge full part really really easy to watch after the break, a very bad Tuesday, a beautiful super villain, and a best that Brian Johnson would really approve of. It is our best and worst off the week.
Speaker 3: One unlimited out Loud access.
Speaker 6: We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday exclusively for Muma Mea subscribers. Follow the link in the show notes to get us in your ears five days a week.
Speaker 3: And a huge thank you to.
Speaker 6: All our current subscribers. It's time for Best and Worst. This is a part of the show where we share a little bit from our personal lives.
Speaker 3: Maya what was your worst.
Speaker 1: My worst of the week was my brain. And there's an upside to this in that I found it very, very hard to get back to work last week, not because I didn't want to go back to work, but because I literally found my brain had forgotten how to go back to work. Now I know I'm not the lone ranger here, it's often hard remembering how to work. I feel particularly in that after that Christmas break, because it's almost like the days you get if you get to take a break over Christmas, are worth two or three times as much as an ordinary holiday at any other time of the year, because no one is working, so your emails stop, you're not getting so many texts. You really just switch off. For me, I did more than I ever have, or more than I have for a really, really long time this holiday. I completely unwound for three weeks, and so what I found challenging about last week was remembering how to do lots of things at once, remembering how to be places at certain times, remembering what it felt like when lots of people wanted something from me, and I had to basically fraction my attention span. And I take medication for my at EHD. I didn't take it much over the holidays. I took a little bit, but mostly I didn't. I was back on this week and I just I've had to adjust my medication because it just wasn't cutting it. I don't know, it's yeah, some people think, well, for me, it hasn't been a case of set and forget. I'm always sort of adjusting my medication depending on what else is going on in my life and what I need my brain to do. So I found that my most challenging thing. I felt really frazzled last week. I missed deadlines. I've kept losing things forgetting things. But this week has been much better. My best of the week, because I'm such a basic bitch, has been weight training. Last year, I went to see a pelvic physio who told me all these exercises I had to do, which I haven't done even one time since then. But what I have done is weight training because she said, I'm going to mangle this. But she said, if you basically eat all the same things and do all the same exercise, don't change anything, you will still lose I don't know, ten percent five percent of bone and muscle mass every year from this age, and I was like, cool, so strength training weight training. You know, I've always just been really a cardio person. I've been doing a bit of polarates at home on a reformer for the last couple of years, but weights is not anything that I've ever really done, and so it took me a little while to find out what I should do and how I should do it. Now I'm doing weight training with dumb bells, not very heavy ones. And I've also got my weight vest that I wear two and discuss one of two weight vests. And i feel strong, like I don't think I look at it different, but I feel strong, and I've forgotten how nice that feels. I've never really done weights. I've always sort of just done cardio for my exercise to give me those endorphins, and I don't know, I look forward to doing my weights.
Speaker 3: Don't know.
Speaker 2: Are you doing it?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: I was going to say, because you've famously do your exercise every morning, yeah, seven time, seven days a week, and so you've changed your routine of what I have.
Speaker 1: So I'm doing house cardio.
Speaker 2: How are you handling the change routine?
Speaker 1: I'm really loving it, like I don't like being forced to change, but every so often I will change something.
Speaker 3: How do you know what to do?
Speaker 1: I've been looking on YouTube and there's some things on move if you don't have any equipment. There's some great workouts on move where you can use your body weight as a weight, which is also really effective and essentially does the same thing. I've been looking at some videos on YouTube depending on what it is that I want to do.
Speaker 6: The greatest benefit I have had, I mean, the first is that no injuries, like you do it too, yeah, yeah, heaps of weight training, and I've found that things like getting that period where you do your back or whatever that's just not happened.
Speaker 3: And the second thing is posture.
Speaker 6: I think my posture has totally changed, and it is such a good feeling.
Speaker 1: Because you're in those years of carrying at toddler yeah yeah, and picking a baby up and down and up and down where you can really mess you back for a good few years, and that's where you started doing it.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, because I was like, I'm sick of waking up and having a saw back or a sore hip or whatever. And I thought, if I'm gonna get pregnant again in whenever, yeah, then you know, The one thing that might help is a bit of weight training.
Speaker 1: Do you do weight sol But I need to.
Speaker 2: I've got a weight vest and I'm gonna. I'm gonna. I'm one of those people. And I'm sure there are lots about lads listening who have not quite restarted.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty five version of myself. It's coming.
Speaker 3: It's coming in fairt Holly, what's your West?
Speaker 2: My worst is that a really beautiful vine with loads of flowers on it that I thought was making my life and my garden more beautiful turned out to be a poisonous super villain that was strangling all my plants.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, way poisonous.
Speaker 2: Yes, so called. It's called a moth vine. And it was growing up this fence and I thought, that looks really pretty. It's growing so fast, like you'd look away and look back and it's grown like and I was twisting it around this fence because I was thinking, that's gonna look so pretty, And then I took.
Speaker 3: A picture of Oh no, did Instagram tell you it's like?
Speaker 1: No, darling.
Speaker 2: The sap in it is poisonous. It can hurt dogs. And also because it's so fast growing, it just wants to get on all your other plants and strangle.
Speaker 1: The whole Marvel movie.
Speaker 2: And I went out there and so I had to pull it out and then my fences or burgage. And then I noticed while I was actually I have been doing some exercise. I was on my exercise bike and I was looking out the window and I noticed that the fucking thing is all over my fence, straggling my jazz.
Speaker 1: Plants.
Speaker 2: It really is so that that was disturbing my best. However, I'm very excited finally this week I managed to This weekend, actually I managed to get Matilda to watch Twilight with me. Now I've been begging Matilda to watch the Twilight movies.
Speaker 3: It's so fun.
Speaker 2: Four years I remembers when the Twilight's were a thing. I was working in Gossip Max and for a while there, Robert Pattinson, Christian Stewart, Taylor Launer, they were everything right. So I was invested, because you know, I kind of had to be. I read them all in and though I was way too old to be reading that, ship read them as and I do know before anyone asked me that yes, the relationship seems to be a bit more than a bit toxic and controlling, and even Matilda's picking that up. She's a lot like that guy's creepy. Yeah, she's like that guy's creepy. I'm like, I know, and then we both just look at each other and it's really embarrassing anyway. So I finally got her to do it. We're on the couch, Billy wants to join in, and I'm like, you will not like it, and he's like, I think I will, and I was like, no, I really don't. We watched all of Twilight and then immediately she was like, oh, on the next one.
Speaker 1: I was like, yes, I don't even know what they're about. It's just a whole.
Speaker 3: Next what fifty great?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: No, serious, because I think it's Twilight fan fiction.
Speaker 2: Well it is, that's how that started. But it's very real. And the movies are bad and they have dated badly and they are too long.
Speaker 3: Great soundtracks, as all movies are.
Speaker 2: Yes, but what that author did because they were so Stephanie Meyer. They were so dissed, and for good reason in some ways, but she just absolutely nails the chemistry and the teenage obsession.
Speaker 1: Has she written other things since then?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there will be some out louders who definitely know, but she would have I don't know. She's probably as rich as Elon Musk from writing those books. And it is true that Robert Pattinson remains gorgeous. But machildres always going what did he say? What did he say?
Speaker 1: Because he?
Speaker 2: Anyway? That was my best and I can't wait to get home and keep the marathon going. Jesse, what about you?
Speaker 6: Oh, you know when something happens during your week and you go, well, at least I have a worst That was my Tuesday last week. So I woke up to a message from a close family member saying that you know, they been in bed and the person next to them had had a seizure just before bed and ended up in hospital. They were still in hospital, and I was trying to get word if they were okay. This is someone in their mid thirties, like, never had a seizure before. I didn't know that that could just happen. I was terrified because I didn't know how it had all been resolved. And then just as I was waiting on getting word on that, I got a call from my dad saying that Mum had been at the GP, she had something I thought was relatively minor, and now she's had to go to hospital to get this oh my god operation that was Steven's and I know indestructible friend of the pod exactly, and it wasn't dangerous necessarily, but it was going to be incredibly painful the procedure she needed, and so I was very lucky that I was able to just go, all right, I'm dropping everything at work and I went and spent the day with mum. Look, we chatted, I swear the nurses were like, can they I reckon?
Speaker 3: Eight hours? We just sat there chatting.
Speaker 6: A bonus episode, Mom and I just chatting in the hospital. Poor woman just woke up from surgery. She wanted to go to sleep, and we were just going on and on. But yeah, Look, by the end of the day, I just went. I got home and just felt totally overwhelmed. Everyone is at the time of recording Okay, Wood touching Wood, but.
Speaker 3: I was just like, everyone needs to just stop.
Speaker 6: Solitude for a moment, just stay in your houses because my nervous system can't handle it.
Speaker 1: There was a time when it was like I just had images of members of your family dotted around various hospitals in your soft Wales.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right, and you'd call and me like, how's everything going? Yeah, my best You know, we talked about the catch up trap last week. I think on Friday night we had a really bad night sleep with Luna for whatever reason. We got up on Saturday and Lucas said, Mum's really keen to have a sleepover with Luna. Why don't we take her up on it and get a full night sleep? And I was like, I love that idea, So.
Speaker 2: I'm not legends.
Speaker 6: I'm not spending it sitting on the couch though. If we have a night, we have a night and I am getting a margarita. So we decided to go out for dinner, and then two of our friends we just messaged them in the afternoon, said you want to go out to dinner the best And we had caught up with them two weeks before, right, so this was the second time in two weeks. These are my closest friends, but over the last eighteen months I've not been the greatest friend because I've been busy. But to go out, it was like all the catching up, We're done. So when we sat down, you.
Speaker 2: Could just talk.
Speaker 6: It was like we Oh, we had the best conversation.
Speaker 3: It was no like box ticking. It was nothing. It was just no work.
Speaker 6: No, it was so fun. We had the loveliest, loveliest night ever, so did I.
Speaker 2: Thanks to you, Mia Friedman.
Speaker 1: It was thanks to me. I had the best time. And she slept all the way through.
Speaker 2: She did she does banana. Oh my goodness, that's all we have time for today. Friends. Thank you to all of you out louders for being with us here in our temporary new home this week. I hope you've enjoyed seeing us out of our natural habitats. We're getting used to it working out where the tea lives. We're going to be back in your ears next week. Until then, Mia and Jesse read us out a.
Speaker 1: Big thank you to our wonderful team group executive producer Ruth Divine, who lives for people and banter, but then immediately needs to be rid of everyone to recover hard.
Speaker 6: Relate Executive producer Emeline Gazillis, who could do with more antisocial behavior in her life.
Speaker 1: Our audio producer is Leapaugus, who loves to auto via QR codes on a night out and loves a bit of solitude on the weekend. Even talking to the waiter is too much for her.
Speaker 6: And video producer Josh Green, who feels he has a perfect amount of social interaction he needs with Justice.
Speaker 1: Pets because they don't talk back but loud as. We know you're not ready to say goodbye unless you've already gone, so we thought we would leave you with a little bit of a conversation we had on a subscriber episode yesterday about Brian Johnson's new Netflix documentary where he is trying to live forever. He's a billionaire, he wants to defy the odds of aging.
Speaker 2: Don't Die, dummies. That is the message of the documentary that everybody has been watching on Netflix. It's literally called Don't Die, and it's the story of Project Blueprint founder Brian Johnson, a tech billionaire who has made it his mission to live as long as he can and in fact, to reverse the aging process. Have you two both watched it?
Speaker 3: I have watched it? May I have you?
Speaker 1: I haven't watched the documentary, but I've watched quite a few YouTube videos about him last year, so I'm very across of who he is. Is this one of those documentaries that he was part of.
Speaker 2: He was proved apparently so.
Speaker 1: The link to that episode will be in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: Shout out to any Muma Maya subscribers listening. If you love the show and want to support us as well, subscribing to mom and Maya is the very best way to do so. There is a link in the episode description.
Speaker 2: Hi,