Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm on a MIA podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Unleashed. She could have seen would we call it.
Speaker 1: Dancing Bruno that we were just doing to wet.
Speaker 3: You look like Reagan.
Speaker 2: There's a lot, there's a lot, that's a whole. That's a whole episode.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Unleashed.
Speaker 2: This is a podcast for gen X women who need a laugh. Now, if your teenage wardrobe involved questionable neon, remember the struggle of rewinding of the HS tape and you survived a childhood of drinking straight from the garden hose. Welcome you founder people right who we got on the sofa this week.
Speaker 1: I'm Bruna pep Andrea. I'm a film and TV producer. I'm Mary Christis. I'm an actress writer.
Speaker 3: I'm Ginnie Mansberg.
Speaker 2: I'm a GP I'm cats Mahoney, I'm a comedian. Right wherever you're listening.
Speaker 1: I'm Clincher.
Speaker 2: You'r clincher, pelvic floor and get ready to unleash. Okay, first order of business today, I've been in the Unleashed DMS and we have a question from Alicia Niki. Yes, Nick, what on earth does it mean when you say put someone's name in the fridge.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was a previous episode. Yes, do you remember? I think Sally said it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's like some people burn the names, and some people put a name in the fridge to sort of disempower the energy that that person might have, sort of like ice them literally.
Speaker 5: I thought it was freezer, not fridge. Actually free it was free free freeze them out.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a bit like a modern version of a horse's head in someone's bed.
Speaker 1: It's easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's less gangster as that, but yeah, just put them in the fridge.
Speaker 1: Has any put somebody's name in the freezer.
Speaker 5: I've got a few people I'd like to put in there that I'm holding some anger about something that happened to me a while ago. But I might put their names in the freezer. I think it would help me release.
Speaker 4: I've had warts once, and so someone tore it and count them and put them on a piece of paper, not not in my genitals, and let the creek at the bottom of my street take that piece of paper and let it flow away.
Speaker 1: Was it a witch? Was it a doctor? Was that a neighbor? Was it a Greek? Said? In like stroke form?
Speaker 4: Put the amount of wats you have, maybe I had five or six, Witchy woman, and I put them down, and she said, take that piece of paper and take it somewhere where there is flowing water.
Speaker 1: Well, at the bottom of.
Speaker 4: My street there was a creek, and she said, put that paper in the creek.
Speaker 1: Let that paper flow away.
Speaker 4: And well, I don't have them now, memory, excuse me, excuse me permission to ask a question I don't understand.
Speaker 5: Please explain. You weren't doing anything with the warts. Were you just like putting a mark on a piece of paper with a pet.
Speaker 3: You didn't need to name the warts, like John Howry.
Speaker 4: I just counted them and I put them those little sticks.
Speaker 1: What do you call them? Vertical lines?
Speaker 2: You mean?
Speaker 5: I would also like to refer to doctor Jenny's medical opinion on whether this may work for warts.
Speaker 3: I have not myself seen in the literature any meta analysis of writing down the number of warts on a piece of paper and sending it down to a creek. But I might have missed one. Bruner, Have you seen that study in your travel?
Speaker 5: No, I've never seen Mary yes, or heard of this method of getting rid of said wart. But to be fair, I've never seen a Ward on you in the thirty years i've known you, Perhaps Mary, congratulations on them.
Speaker 4: Let me just say, I don't know why you guys are so pro freezer an anti creek. We're both we're both writing something.
Speaker 5: Because you're talking about a physical symptom, whereas what the thing in the freezer does.
Speaker 1: That's an emotional way. Oh yeah, you're like your psychological Yeah, my ex was a physical symptom. He was in the freezer.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, we've got a little game to start.
Speaker 1: Love games. I love games. On your chair.
Speaker 2: You have a paddle, ladies, so I might call it a Marty Supreme ping pong. It's on one side you have the word guilty yes, and on the other one you flip it over not guilty. Well flipped, ladies. Okay, I don't like where the this is going. Care Okay, there is a slip of paper on your chair, font size forty eight, ladies, So nobody grabbed for their glasses.
Speaker 1: We're all going to be fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, one at a time, we are going to read out what is on our paper, and the rest of us are going to hold up that.
Speaker 1: Paddle that says guilty or not guilty? Who are we going to start with? Mary? Yes? Okay, what have we got?
Speaker 4: I've RSVP to something I knew I was going to cancel last minute.
Speaker 5: Helly oh, guilty, guilty, guilty, not guilty, Mary, I don't pull out ball, don't you hear?
Speaker 1: That's what they all do? That's so not true. I don't. I don't cop out okay, really? Ever? I feel bad? No, seriously, do you think I do? We all do it?
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 1: I don't. I totally don't agree with that I turn up. Okay. If I say I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it all right now? Yeah? Fair, that's fair.
Speaker 4: You know what, if you don't want to turn up, just say you don't want to turn up.
Speaker 1: You can't have You can't be sitting on the fence on this one. You're either in or you're not.
Speaker 5: You know what, I apologize profusely because I have asked you to a New Year's Eve thing, thinking I'm the best offer you're going to get, and you're like, oh no, I already said yes to someone else, which in my mind was not nearly as good an offer.
Speaker 1: So to be fair to you, yes, you stuck with the O g R.
Speaker 4: S V p Oky and I don't want to say anything, but we're going to have an unleashed dinner.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, and someone here pulled at last minute dot com to start.
Speaker 1: You said the start.
Speaker 3: Did you always intend to pull?
Speaker 1: No? I absolutely didn't.
Speaker 5: But I'm trying to be a better parent, guys.
Speaker 1: Parents.
Speaker 2: I think what I do is I say yes in the moment because I'll be excited about something. And what I really need to do is think about future me on that day, what time it is, what am I going to wear, do I really want to go?
Speaker 1: I need to futureself myself. Oh, I told you.
Speaker 5: I live by this because the late great Anthony mcguelan, my first boss mentor. He would say yes to everything, and then he said to me, I learned an important lesson. Every time someone asked you to do something, pretend it's that night and see if you'd still say yes.
Speaker 1: That's good. I like that, thank you.
Speaker 2: And I would add to that, you can say yes when you've just had your coffee in the morning, but you might say no when it's seven pm and you're running a bath.
Speaker 1: You don't leave the house.
Speaker 2: So I think, as well as future self, we should also think about if we're caffeinated and highly excited at that moment, as opposed to in our pajamas watching rifle kav.
Speaker 5: Next question, ladies, I've googled a symptom and convinced myself I'm dying.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, guilty, not guilty, not guilty, guilty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I am as Mary knows, as my husband knows.
Speaker 1: Maybe you guys know.
Speaker 5: I have watched however many there are, and I think there's twenty three, maybe twenty two seasons of Gray's Anatomy. So I am basically a medical doctor at the so in my Gray's Anatomy obsession and something I need to admit, I'm sorry, doctor Jinny. Sometimes I cannot wait for the results of a scan, and I have been talking to Kat's friend Claude, and I have been known to put the scans into claud or chat GPT just to.
Speaker 1: Get a result, Just to get an early result. I'd love that. Okay, okay, good, That is really great.
Speaker 3: I like empowerment.
Speaker 1: I think that's very good.
Speaker 3: And these days, for anyone who has not enabled their My Health Record, more for you, because all of your results are uploaded into your My Health Record, so you don't have to make an appointment with your doctor to get a whole stack of normal blood test results.
Speaker 1: You know, unless they call you, you.
Speaker 3: Might actually be able to get them yourself and have a look at them. Of course, if they've got asterixes on them, you're gonna need to go and.
Speaker 1: See a doctor and talk about it.
Speaker 3: But otherwise I reckon, that's.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, No, I like it. I like it now.
Speaker 5: I go down a rabbit hole of things I think are wrong. I mean, there is a lot wrong with me, but I go down a rabbit hole of the other things that could be wrong with me and convince myself that something is there.
Speaker 3: I got to say, if you end up with a condition like Loopis, which there generally is a very long lag between the symptoms starting and actually getting a diagnosis, I get it why people are actually going to google their symptoms, because you know, when medicine is built to give you a five minute consultation and no one has the time to listen to everything, I totally get why you would start trying to take matters into your own hands. I think we've got to do better in the medical system, but we've got to be not judgmental of people who actually want to find out what's going on with their own bodies.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Love that I am legit.
Speaker 5: Between all the medical shows I watch and all the legal shows I watch, I'm basically a lawyer at this point and a medical doctor.
Speaker 3: Okay, ladies, are you ready, I've got the next question in our game. Guilty or not guilty. I've regifted a gift.
Speaker 1: Not guilty, not guilty, not guilty. Guilty or Mary.
Speaker 4: Or marry you said, I'm not going to regift it to the person who gave it to me.
Speaker 3: My grandmother was very famous for giving people a chilled book because she would get a gift and assume it was chocolate. It's not unpackage it out of the wrapping paper and just to get straight in the fridge and then take a chilled book to another friend maker.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Mary and I had a friend and I can't remember where it started, but there was a kind of ugly photo frame that someone got given, and then the joke was that it would just get constantly regifted on anyone birthday, so it just got passed around for years.
Speaker 1: Right, that ugly photo frame that's right now.
Speaker 4: Just question in order to defend myself because I am the guilty party here.
Speaker 1: What do you do with gifts you don't like?
Speaker 5: I put them in the cupboard or I and then what happens to them? Did they stay in the cake?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 5: I mean I maybe look under question out have I ever? Have I ever done it once?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 5: But I'm just it's not something I do a lot. So that's mine not guilty.
Speaker 2: I might have to waiver because now I'm thinking gifts to me I haven't regifted. I have gifted a shit tourn of birthday gifts that my son's received. Yes, okay, as a non lego lego type. They've got a lot of lego that I would there people giving them.
Speaker 1: No, But so I have regifted child stuff.
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 3: But can I just double tap on the ugly photo frame situation? If there's something so horrendous that I don't want it, I'm never going to give that to somebody else because I look like I've got foul taste and like and that I'm giving people disgusting stuff like I actually can't do it. So that's what God invented some vincit apaul for. And I just drive up to Viney's all the time and get rid.
Speaker 1: Of it, mayor you know me very well?
Speaker 5: Yes, what do people give me all the time that I hate with passion that I am either leading out in the street or actually regifting?
Speaker 1: This is bad.
Speaker 2: This could be a listen, who would flowers?
Speaker 1: You just know it's more specific than that bump plants or kids. Thank you.
Speaker 5: I have been given more orchids in my life than there are at a fricking funeral. Congratulations that goes under the regifting gifts, Like you know, our friends know that I hate indoor plants and I hate orchids, And how many orchids do I continue to receive?
Speaker 1: That is just so rude. It's so rude. People that know me should know. I'll take an orchid. You can have my next door my lego so much? Who's next me? Right?
Speaker 2: Guilty or not guilty? I've had anti wrinkle injections. Guilty, guilty, guilty, not guilty. Oh, because you've got skin on your face, you're supposed to wear.
Speaker 1: On your arm.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: She's got you've got lovely skin.
Speaker 5: It's not it's not because I don't think I would like and need an anti wrinkle injection. I just cannot like fathom the idea of an injection in my mouth or my face.
Speaker 2: I have gas when I have my injections, I don't feel anything into your face.
Speaker 1: No, I suck on the gas and then they put the injection in. Okay, well maybe that number. It's like the nineties again. Seconds, please send that number. I will be doing that.
Speaker 3: I held out to lost fifty seven. I don't know if that have you just.
Speaker 1: Started, just started. Oh if I could hide five you, I would.
Speaker 3: And it's it's for the neck. Yeah, I'm sort of love yeah, because nothing actually helps your freaking next. So who knew that you can have anti wrinkle injections into your jawline and it impacts your neck.
Speaker 4: I've done it once or twice. I can't say I like the effect. Look, this is the case with almost anything. You're at the mercy of the person's taste.
Speaker 1: Who's doing it.
Speaker 4: You know, like you don't want to go to some person that goes more is better, you know, like you want less is more, and you want it subtle and all of those things. Because my husband wouldn't know if someone was topless, but he could tell you if someone's had anti wrinkle injections topless, Well maybe he would, but he wouldn't know a haircut. If you've got a haircut, he wouldn't notice it. But he can spot them a bit like me with the two pay from across the room and go one is up with that face. They've just got to back away from the injection.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. Look, it's not one of those things. Because I emote for a living. I need to use my face.
Speaker 4: But occasionally I'm going to go away and I'm not working for a month or two, or I'm riding.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I just don't have a tiny bit. I mean, that's pretty.
Speaker 5: Bad that we're all thinking like this. I'm shocked, actually, the three of the four of us. You know, I'm not saying I'm the natural beauty here now I'm kidding. I'm not obviously the natural beauty here. But like, I'm shocked.
Speaker 1: I would have thought it was more fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think you know, you have to be all in or all out. I think it's one of those things people.
Speaker 1: Have got to be in charge of whatever they can live with. Yes, that's my take on this. Jenny.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you a question as a professional, as a medical professional, what's the story on creatine.
Speaker 1: It's everywhere. It's the new black, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I get asked this, like I'm not kidding three or four times a day. I know Sally Hapworth will be all over the creat any you guys on it.
Speaker 1: I'm on that, but I don't know what it does.
Speaker 3: Are you on a gummy? You want a powder?
Speaker 1: I want to powadeck as a machake? I am on nothing.
Speaker 5: No, I am not on anything, although I have just signed up to this this new fangled wellness thing where they take your blood and then they send you what you should be on apparently, so I'm guessing in my cine there's going to be some creatine in my future.
Speaker 1: But I, like you have heard the word a lot lately. Is the sea word is everywhere? I know you're a little anti supplement. Would that be fair to.
Speaker 3: Say I'm not anti supplement. I just I think that the evidence would suggest that for most things, if you get it from your food, you are better off than if you have to take it out of What is, at the end of the day, an ultra processed product that has been made in a factory out of chemical ingredients and lots of plastic involved. The evidence is quite interesting for building muscle if you are working out and doing quite a lot of resistance exercise. There's no evidence that you can take creatine and not do exercise and still build all might interesting. Yeah, And the thing that I often get asked about is there evidence for like brain health, Like is it going to help my brain fog? And lots of my patients swear blind they take it and their brain fog.
Speaker 1: Just disappears, as gray Islam does.
Speaker 3: There's no evidence at all for any benefits in terms of brain fog or even preventing tomna at this stage. There are some studies that are being done, but they're like they're small. The methodology of the studies is pretty dodgy. I would say I don't take it, but I don't really take anything. I try and eat my nutrients. But I do think if you are going to take it, there's only really evidence for creatine monohydrate. There's quite a few other careatanes out there, and there was that whole thing that blew up about creatine gummies that turned out to have zero creatine in them, but's lots and lots of sugar. I think if there's any really good evidence that it could do amazing things for me when I'm not lifting my weight in iron every day. I'd probably take it, but I haven't seen the evidence. Just remember, I'm a doctor, but I'm not your doctor. So if you've got any specific medical questions, maybe booking c JP.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Look, there's a lot of you know, women especially, I think we're very prone to a product, whether it be a supplement or a makeup thing or whatever. And we love an exercise product that's going to give us immediate results, like the ABB cruncher, the AB curler do you remember that.
Speaker 1: To put my washing on it to drive?
Speaker 4: At least it got used. And then there was that ribbon one that you'd put around. It would jiggle you ribbon. It was comical.
Speaker 3: Okay, seriously, what is the most you have ever spent on a wellness thing? And I mean, I know Brunner, I have seen you in your ice bath. He's still enjoying a good eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, No, there's money that I've spent that I have. It's you know, paid dividends, but I have like everyone, remember when I mean some would say this is a good thing, but I bought the most expensive rebounder out there, you know, just like basically, let's just call it what it is, a mini trampoline, and the only people who used it literally during COVID, Well my kids would bounce up and down it occasionally, but that was probably the biggest waste of money. But the other thing that I always remember because I'm a big sucker for like an Instagram ad and I would buy those things, you know those I think they're well, you put them on your feet, You put them on your feet and exactly you supposed to suck out on the tops.
Speaker 1: I have bought a lot of those patches and things.
Speaker 3: That did you feel with them on your feet?
Speaker 5: Literally did nothing? Maybe remove some dead skin. But I've done a lot of that kind of stuff. I am very I am really guilty of, like buying like a wellness product that maybe I haven't used.
Speaker 1: But what I'm more guilty of is signing up to a fitness app. Yes, I mean how many. I've probably signed up to five now that I have never opened since.
Speaker 4: The free trial you used to go to, you know, like health farms some stuff and escape within hours.
Speaker 1: That is true.
Speaker 5: I have escaped many overpriced health retree because I made the mistake of going on my own and after like.
Speaker 1: Escaping, you're going on your own.
Speaker 5: You're spending the money, Like who's stopping you, it's for you. And I literally will pack my bags and I'll be out of there before the first breakfast. Funny, they're all over the world, but there is one in New South Wales.
Speaker 3: You are allowed to have a phone.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're supposed to.
Speaker 5: Like there's no televisions in the room, which for me is like it's like painful, but they're really beautiful rooms, like it's luxury. I don't do any of this, like you know, camping retreats, harve yourself. I do these like really nice places, and I'm like, oh, yeah, it's going to be great. So I don't know if someone gifted me this experience or if I gifted it to myself.
Speaker 1: But I drive out there.
Speaker 5: I think it's about two hours in my car, and I generally I do this when I check in, do I tell I don't tend to unpack my bag straight away just in case, you know, I like to be prepared for a potential exit. And I go to my room and it's really beautiful, and I think I've hidden the phone that I'm of course, I'm going to use it in my home. Like they're like, this is the first story. I've got three or four of these stories. But I go down to breakfast, and you know, obviously you're on a you know, a limited limited diet of some kind, depending on what you've chosen as your preference.
Speaker 1: Right. People are there for different reasons. Some people are there to meditate, obviously, that wasn't me. Some people are there to juice cleans. That also wasn't me.
Speaker 5: And some people are there to do a kind of calorie controlled eating plan to kind of reboot their bodies.
Speaker 1: That was me. You know. They try and make it.
Speaker 5: Look like like bespoken, like it's a five star restaurant, but it's so small and like there's basically nothing there, like you may as well be eating air.
Speaker 1: That was what it was like.
Speaker 5: And then I go back to the room and I think I probably called my husband at that point and probably you know, created some kind of story to make my for self feel better, like oh god, I should have come here with friends.
Speaker 1: And he's like, give it a night, just try and push through. Give it a night.
Speaker 5: Well I did give it a night, bag it home and I literally secretly make my way to my car with my suitcase because I am I am like a French exit.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying good by to anyone.
Speaker 3: Did someone ring and say, hey, Bruni, where are you? We can't find you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I probably, I think I probably my memory, if it's right, I probably made up some story that someone was ill and they needed me. Because I get really embarrassed with that stuff, like I am not I'm not good with like confronting, like because I think someone's going to talk me out of it. It's probably why I don't want to go to therapy anymore either. I just don't want.
Speaker 1: Someone looking at me in the eye and talking to me about it.
Speaker 5: So that is not the only retreat I've escaped and that, but what that was the first?
Speaker 4: You know, Bruno, I would have loved to have been your Could I have talked you into staying?
Speaker 1: Probably not, but we could have escaped together. I would have done that for you. And which brings me to what would you do for a good friend?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: We do things for family, but we sort of have to, don't we We do things for kids because they can't do it. They're just cute. They can't do things.
Speaker 4: But your friends are equally as able as you, and you tend to do things for them because you love them so much and because you think they take a bullet for me, wouldn't they? Which brings me to a story where I did something for Bruno that I was not comfortable with.
Speaker 1: This was many, many years ago.
Speaker 4: I had hosted an event for a powerful public figure.
Speaker 1: Let's just say that, would that be fair to say Brin a politician? Okay, no names, no names.
Speaker 4: Moving right along. Maybe this guy was a womanizer.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe he was.
Speaker 4: He was very happy with how I hosted this very successful event for him, and he offered to take me out to dinner. And I said to Bruna, oh my god, as if I'm going to go out to dinner with blaodi blah right, And she said, oh yeah, You're going to go out.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: She goes, I'm shooting a low budget film and I need permits so I can shoot in the CBD. And you, my friend, are going out to dinner with him, and you are going to ask him to see whether he can get those permits through for me.
Speaker 5: I mean, just let me said the scene I was an up and coming producer. I was making my first kind of low budget movie where every cent counts, and I needed my friend to come through for me for what was a very important thing at the time.
Speaker 1: Now, I CAC might get involved at this point. If I go into too much more detail, we're going to watch. So this happened the day though. Well.
Speaker 4: He booked a very nice restaurant with a view of the city, and I said to Bruna, you're going to turn up towards the end of the main course because I don't want to be dessert.
Speaker 1: So we said that.
Speaker 4: Such and such said would you like a shampa? So I'm like, I know I'm not staying long.
Speaker 1: He orders the shapers. What would you like to eat? I said, I'm pretty.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to use the word easy because I didn't want to plant any seeds. I said, I'm like. So we ordered and we're making small talk and there come the main courses, all nice.
Speaker 1: And yum yums.
Speaker 4: We're having the main course, and you wouldn't believe who walked in and walk I go BRUTTI hi, and she said, did you forget that we had that thing on tonight?
Speaker 1: Very sex and the city. Yeah, and here is looking at.
Speaker 4: Me, confused, wiping the sides of his mouth with his nap, going what's going on?
Speaker 1: I said, oh my god, Brunie, I'm so sorry. I forgot.
Speaker 4: We had that thing on and and we we we left and but did that stop him? No, that did not lease.
Speaker 5: I did get the permit, but then it was over for me, but it was not over for Mary.
Speaker 4: We apparently were a couple to watch in two thousand. Oh yeah, we we we made it. You know, at the end of the year, how they capture I was seeing that night with such and such and they had us in the Ross Rains com couple to watch in two thousand.
Speaker 1: Thanks Brunie. Yeah, that's really good. This is the last bet. He wouldn't give up. And he was very, very proactive.
Speaker 4: Let's just call it that. I'm a big girl. I don't mind someone being proactive. I'm going to be pro honest. So I remembered such and such called me on the mobile and I answered the phone. I remember exactly where I was, and he said, how would you like to come to this event with me?
Speaker 1: And I said, I don't know how many.
Speaker 4: Times I have to tell you I am not interested, and then he says, yes, but it'd be a lovely event and we could catch up and have a drink and whatever.
Speaker 1: And I said, okay, such and such. You give me no.
Speaker 4: Option but to be completely honest, I'm going to say this. You've pushed me to say this. I will never suck you off.
Speaker 1: And that was it.
Speaker 4: Job was done, game over.
Speaker 1: Word for word about this. Years later, I bump into him a trot fast and he's high. Mary. You know I didn't touch the sides. The guy was teflon.
Speaker 3: How did you thank your best friend for doing this amazing good deed for you.
Speaker 1: I've been trying to repay her twenty years later. Still, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Wow, guys, gear change, let's do blast from the past.
Speaker 1: We love this.
Speaker 3: This is where we go back in time, dig deep into your memories. Guys, we are all now in our fifties, maybe even beyond, and we've transformed a lot since we were in our twenties. What was a personality? Maybe reputation? What do people think of you that you have worked your ass off to actually shed Brunner.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not sure I worked hard on shedding this, but I had no choice but to shed. How should we put it my what's the great wording, hod On, I've worked hard physical philanthrop thank you, I've worked hard to shed my physical philanthropy, my physical philanthropy. How yeah, how generous and charitable I'm giving with my body, and also just how generous and charitable I was and care free in terms of you know, what I did didn't put.
Speaker 1: My body through in my twenties.
Speaker 5: I probably worked hard to shad that, I would say, and I think of that.
Speaker 1: I laugh when I think of that.
Speaker 5: But also I do think obviously I've grown as a person, so I've.
Speaker 1: Probably shared a few words that are associated with that.
Speaker 3: Mary, what have you worked out on since the heady days of Acropolis?
Speaker 4: Now, I think I might have been at the mercy of other people's reputations. I think I deliberately chose to ignore data on certain people. I liked a little bit of a rebel, and I liked someone that was polarizing.
Speaker 1: I thought that was daring, but.
Speaker 4: What it turned out to be was, you know, they were our souls or you know, just dirty dogs or shifty people that I would never touch with a ten foot pole these days, so I think I've become a lot more discerning. I'm really open to difference, but I'm not open to dysfunction anymore.
Speaker 3: Nice transformation.
Speaker 1: H Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I moved here in my mid twenties. I was twenty six, so I think I had like a real move the other side of the world, reinvention, and I just that brought confidence. When I was in the UK and London, like I just played it small. I wouldn't have gone after my dreams and then coming here, it's like I've been on this perpetual holiday where twenty six years later, I still.
Speaker 1: Think, WHOA, well, why not why not try this stuff? I'm not really from here. At any point I could go back home.
Speaker 2: So I think I've taken loads of chances and just played big since I moved here.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Not that I had a crazy past, but yeah, it was a refresh and I just had the confidence to try things that I would never have tried in London. You know, it felt like it was smaller Sydney and you could kind of reach for the stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know with me.
Speaker 4: You know, my dad died when I was twenty three, and life got pretty heavy, even though you know, my career had taken off literally within weeks of my father's death, I felt like Sydney was my place where I could reinvent myself and I'm Bruna and I lived in Melbourne together and then in Sydney together. I felt like Sydney was the city like my parents had gone away for the weekend and it just felt like a fun, lighter, brighter place for me. It lacked the depth that Melbourne had and the intensity and the cultural sort of consciousness of Melbourne, which I really really love. But Sydney allowed me to be lighter when I needed to be lighter because everything felt heavy.
Speaker 3: I love that. In my twenties, I had three children and was an uber nerd married young, incredibly conservative, just studied and was really taking parenting very seriously. And I don't think I laughed enough. Like literally, Bruna, we were polar opposites. While you were carving it up and being wild, I was just nose down in the books and nappies and taking my children's milestones way too seriously. And I think I've just lightened the hell up since I've got you older, and I kind of wish i'd done it a bit earlier, Like I actually really embraced the hardcore nerd when I was younger, but I missed out on a lot too in my.
Speaker 1: What could have been the best years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or you can look at it the other way. I think it's leg swings roundabouts. I think sometimes you do that in your twenties and then your fifties are for something else.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I hate people to think that they peak then and that that's done.
Speaker 1: With as well.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're lucky that we're you know, we continue to chase highs in different ways. Yes, And I'm really excited for you, Jinny. I think that you know, you've got grandchildren. Now you've got you know, your kids are up and running, they're doing their stuff.
Speaker 1: In the world. All is good.
Speaker 4: You've started this incredible skin care brand, you're still practicing as a GP. I just love it. I think this is your time now, you know. I would hate for it to have been so far ago that that you know that it's dimming as you go forward.
Speaker 1: I would hate that. All right, all right, it is time for drum roll. Thanks Mary. Other people's problem. Yeah, this is the part of the show.
Speaker 2: You send us your dilemmas, your questions, and your moral gray areas, and we attempt to offer you good advice, which is, let's be honest, usually way off the mark right. This week's problem comes from Sarah in Brisbane.
Speaker 1: Hi, ladies, I need a ruling.
Speaker 6: My husband Dave turned fifty last year and instead of like buying a sports car or getting a tattoo, doing all those midlife crisis things, he's got a new hobby and it's Facebook marketplace.
Speaker 1: He's assist with what.
Speaker 6: He calls these are not my words, the thrill of the negotiation. That means at our garage is now filled with three broken down lawnmowers, this huge grandfather clock that doesn't even tick, and a twelve old foot disassembled trampoline. We don't even have kids, and we don't have a garden. We have a courtyard. Here's the crisis. So last night I caught him messaging a stranger about a secondhand commercial deep prior and what should be going to do with that? When I said absolutely not, he looked me straight in the eye and he said, Sarah, you don't understand the market. I can flip it for double by Tuesday. Like this man has never flipped anything in his entire life. Am I married to some sort of entrepreneurial genius and I just don't understand how great he is. Or am I going to be stuck with this and have a house that stinks like a vision ship shop?
Speaker 1: Can you help me? Oh my god, that is genius brilliant. Oh I can flip it by Tuesday. Oh I love it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it remind you of the castle dreaming? My thought, Sarah, is if he has like an external venue to go and take his market book place on entrepreneurial genius, somewhere to live, right, maybe rent a garage somewhere, and he's out of your house, you know, don't forget we had the segment that went off the other people's problems. Where was it Debbie whose husband had retired and was at home like a millstone around her neck?
Speaker 1: Sarah, this is the gift.
Speaker 3: This is the thing that is going to save your marriage. Get him, Tell him he's a genius, but he's just too small the house. He needs to spread his wings, take that entrepreneurial genius and multiply it. Fantastic. Bye, spend the whole day there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the man Cave, but off premises, off premises. Yeah, look, I get Facebook Marketplace. I don't mind a little bit of a sniff around there on the d occasion. I mean, do we have proof that he's flipping stuff? It sounds like nothing's been flipped. And I love her, I love his energy.
Speaker 1: You like a bit of Facebook make You've so many things on Facebook.
Speaker 4: I bought I bought a motorbike helmet.
Speaker 1: Well, my husband bought a motorbike. I'm not allowed to tell his parents and they're eighty seven and ninety three. Don't tell my parents.
Speaker 3: But if somebody's dropped it, it could have a crack in it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it doesn't say I had that.
Speaker 4: I put it in the mail and I'm not gonna They're not gonna fit in the letter box, is it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: I understand.
Speaker 4: Look a friend of mine I went to her house recently and she had this beautiful glass table and she bought it for six hundred dollars. It was an Italian brand and it was worth nine thousand.
Speaker 1: Why had it? Didn't know? She knew what brands to look for and she bought it for six hundred. That's a good story for Sarah.
Speaker 4: Look, you've got to know what you're looking for, and it's got to be stuff that you can resell.
Speaker 1: You've got to know what the.
Speaker 3: Marketplace's husband clearly does because he's got that trampoline, and I spy a genius in that.
Speaker 5: I gotta say, I'm not, as you know, I wish I was better at reselling because I tend to just give everything away. But I have gone on Facebook mark Place, and I do understand the allure for the husband. Like I will go on there and suddenly I'm not kidding, you guys are gonna laugh.
Speaker 1: I think I need like a camper van. I'm like, oh, youfice. I don't even like to go hiking. I've got no.
Speaker 5: Business, but I have these like visions and I see these camper vans on Facebook market and I'm like, I got to turn it into like a little mobile office. Yeah, and when I'm filming, I could have my own little mobile trailer. And so I make these like I just have this whole thing in my head. So I do understand the allure. But I think Sarah's instincts are spot on with like the commercial fryer. Anything that would bring maybe too much oil or smell into that, I think you need.
Speaker 1: To put your foot down.
Speaker 5: But I would, you know, unless he's got a gambling habit. Or something I would encourage. The Facebook marketplace, it just.
Speaker 2: Looks addictive whenever I've gone on it by accident.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, Like you fell on your computer and suddenly you're on Facebook market.
Speaker 2: Sometimes if you go on to your Facebook app on your phone and you hit the wrong thing tab, it takes you and yeah, it takes you to.
Speaker 1: The mast place.
Speaker 2: Yes, accident, my glasses on, and it's just it's a rabbit hole. It's an hour of my time that's gone. And it's exactly that you're like this stuff. What if I did start jousting, like, you know, what if I wanted What if I got into like medieval role play with the.
Speaker 1: Next guy I meet on an app? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I shouldn't say no to this stuff. I've got stuff i'd like to get rid of.
Speaker 3: It's actually, can you just send us his number?
Speaker 1: Because I actually have a whole house of stuff i'd like him to buy.
Speaker 3: And so I've been thinking about how difficult it would be to negotiating in the marketplace, but like, maybe I just go straight to him the middle man.
Speaker 1: I think I think we should get Sarah to give us Dave's.
Speaker 4: Details cut out, you know, Zuckerberg doesn't need any any more money from Dave, and we cut it a nice cash deal.
Speaker 3: We've got some exercise equipment that's going begging like a great clothes hanger.
Speaker 2: What about your feet suckers? Yes, you still got those? Can we resell them?
Speaker 1: I just like Dave's entrepreneurial ship, A deep r a commercial deep rier. I mean, this guy's thinking big. Well, that is all we have time for today.
Speaker 2: Now, before you go back into the world, can we ask you one tiny thing if you have that one friend that you know needs a bit of unleashed in her life, share the show, share the show, share the love, send her the link. We don't have a big budget for any billboards or any advertising, so you ladies out there.
Speaker 1: Are are walking. Share the love.
Speaker 2: If you have any questions for us, if you've got a dilemma, if you've got an issue, if you've got something nice to say, don't send anything in if.
Speaker 1: It's not nice. We don't like that.
Speaker 2: Just DMS nice thing, dm us nice things at Unleashed dot show on Instagram, legit. They end up in our group chat and we don't get I love them, we get excited. We all need a pat sometimes now, as we like to say today, until then, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable.
Speaker 1: Stay bye.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on