Speaker 1: We acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land we're recording on today.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome back to Eat Sleep Meat.
Speaker 3: Why change it even eat Brokenny, I'm Kelly McCarran.
Speaker 1: And I'm Kirious Cells, and it's a slight modification. Firstly, let me just address the huge rouseby elephant in the room. My poor voice. I'm sorry, I'm going to try and make it through this episode. Hopefully it's sexy and not annoying.
Speaker 2: Sexy.
Speaker 3: You're not squeaky?
Speaker 1: Oh good, good, good, well in regards to ours slight modification, if you will, we are erring on the side of caution by removing the swear from the title, because, as it turns out, swears are not very commercially friendly.
Speaker 2: Who would think it, certainly not two goals with more than thirty years of marketing experience between them.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Don't worry everyone, You're still our shitters. You can't like stop that unfortunate nickname. Although Key suggest we change it to eat Sleep Play Repeat, and I was actually super excited about that because I was ready to be like he plaius like. I just thought that that was quite fun. But we're keeping it simple.
Speaker 1: It would have been so cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're keeping it simple though, Eat, sleep, repeat, because that's pretty much just I mean, it sums up life, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we'll know, we'll know that there's a swear there that's just a silent sway, you know.
Speaker 2: And like if you're like Kiri Sels, you don't always shit, so it's not a given.
Speaker 1: So true. You know what starts about our friendship. You never let me lift anything.
Speaker 3: Down and I don't forget anything anyway.
Speaker 1: On the show today, Kelly's annoyed about something today. She's got some thoughts and she's ready to rant, but first he can pit.
Speaker 3: Baby, Yeah, queen, everything's through to shit.
Speaker 2: So I feel like my pit is a little bit awkward, given you are the one you sound like you're really suffering. But my pit is that last week my voice just fucked off on vacation again. And I mean yeah, like it was my first time working with the new head of lifestyle, who I am obsessed with it, Mama mea. Like I just clicked with her from the day I met her. I just love her so much because she was so worried and I was like, oh no, no, no, no, the longtime ubies, people that have like followed me or listen to any pod that I've done for the last few years will know that my voice often more so than average and on a lot of the time, like when I'm not even sick, like last week I had a mild cold at best, like I was just I'm just a bit snotty, you know, which I pretty much am the whole way through winter, like anyone with Toddler's is. Even without toddlers or babies, I remember just always being snotty. But the amount of people, you know, Kein I were talking off Mike about how like, at least when it's us, both of us are so flexy. We call it flexi sexy with every thing that we do because we're like, oh, no big deal, like we'll just do it this day, we'll slott it in here, we'll do it at eight pm if we need to, like we'll always just so happy to work around each other. And our glorious audio producer Mads is also quite like if we're like, oh, I'm so sorry, Mads, but we're not going to get it to you till you know, Monday and the episod's up on Wednesday. She's always just so good. But the thing is, when it's a big company like Muma Mia, the amount of people that you are stuffing around because it's such a huge production line. When you know, you turn up and then your voice, you only get through one episode and you meant to be doing five, and everyone is just so lovely. But I just felt so bad for stuffing so many people up. And it's also just so stressful because if I can't use my voice, I don't get paid. It's as simple as that, Like, yeah, if you can't use the thing that you need to do your job, and you work for yourself, you literally like, there's no such thing as sick if you just don't get paid if you can't do it. And so given that I'm not even sick, it just makes it so frustrating. So I need to do something about it. If anyone remembers from when we were sort of discussing Christmas episode, I was like, yeah, Christmas wasn't that great because I had no voice the entire week. My voice completely disappears, like I cannot get words out. So I can whisper, obviously, but you can't whisper on a pod like this isn't ASMR.
Speaker 3: That would be weird anyway.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm going to actually investigate into a speech pathologist that specializes in the voice, because it could just be that, like I need to actually get my voice box fitter so that I can fight things off.
Speaker 1: I do think though, that you and I probably had the same thing, because Beck also got a Goldie who's roused bestI her mum and she lost her voice as well, And the boys have had this cough, so we've all had the same thing.
Speaker 3: I haven't had a cough.
Speaker 1: It's not a cough all the time. It's just like a random cough. But everyone lost their voice, so I reckon maybe you just as someone who loses their voice quite easily, maybe really sensitive to it or something. But oh yeah, I never lose my voice ever, and I always get tonsil stuff. I swear to god. It's like whatever the thing going around, it's just like does a number on your throat?
Speaker 3: Did Charlie and Rue get it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charlie and Rue got it, but it presented differently, and then back and I were exactly the same, like clockwork. It was like fire in my throat, and then the next day, no voice that's how quick it was. God crazy. Anyway, Sorry I'm stealing a thunder. I'm just you know, I'm right there.
Speaker 2: Actually, Ah, you sound like you're way more there actually. Anyway, So my peak is over the long weekend. Usually go away for the long weekend because my parents live far away, so it's the best, you know, to be able to go away for the long weekend and visit them.
Speaker 3: Actually, as you do too a lot.
Speaker 2: But I didn't this year because my friend had really wanted to have well, I sort of pushed her to have a birthday celebration, and obviously a lot of people were away, but I managed to wrangle some of our good friends and just planned.
Speaker 3: And I'm not very.
Speaker 2: Organized, so I also like get very excited when I managed to successfully plan things. I planned like this little birthday soiree for her, and it was just so nice to see her smile and everyone sort of celebrating, and I made her a big dick cake and we're at quite a nice restaurant and then I got really embarrassed, Havan it was just a really unfortunate looking cake, but she loves phallic shaped items, so it was just like a really lovely day and it was just so nice to celebrate her, and it's just such a good reminded to people make the effort with your friends because before that, I hadn't seen my friends since anne Zac Day, so maybe a month which you know, I know isn't that long for some people that don't go out that often, but god, it really.
Speaker 3: Just fuels me.
Speaker 2: As we've talked about before, and it just like it brings me so much joy spending time with my girlfriends and having great conversations and just laughing about everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent, I love that col beautiful.
Speaker 3: What's your pit and peak?
Speaker 1: Okay, well I'm going to try and share without crying because it's a bit emotional crying.
Speaker 3: That's it's a safe space.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, I really reached my breaking point with the three month sleep regression. Things are a lot easier the second time around with a baby, no doubt, but also you forget how bad it is. And also it's a new baby, so how they present and that regression can be different, and it definitely isn't our case. But basically what had happened is that I had been contact mapping all day, which I'm pretty used to because she's a really sensitive gal and she just wants to be held, and that is fine. That by itself is typically fine for me to manage. But with the regression, it meant that at night she was waking every half an hour or every hour, and the only way that she felt comfortable was sleeping on me. But because I was so exhausted, I didn't feel comfortable co sleeping because I just sometimes for me, when I'm that exhausted, I just worry that I wouldn't wake up or whatever. So I had just been pushing through and pushing through and pushing through.
Speaker 2: That's actually one of the rules about co sleeping that you don't do it if you don't feel rested. That's the right way to do it. That you felt like, no, I'm actually just too tired, and I don't think that I'm going to wake up easily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I just felt like if I had got into a position that was comfortable and I was like, you know, and she wasn't moving like I would. Yeah. Anyway, So I'd been pushing through and pushing through and it had been really hard, and I was noticing that it was really hard. And then I got sick, and then I got better and then I got sick again. But on the early hours of Saturday morning, she woke up at four, I fed her, put her back down, and then I couldn't get back to sleep. And typically in the morning we would have a better stretch of like for some reason, you know, at like five, I'll put her down and then she might slip through till you know, seven or eight. Usually there's a big stretch in the early morning during the regression, which has been really helpful. But I did not get back to sleep, and I had my niece's birthday party, which RU was so excited about, and so was I because I love seeing my nieces. And Charlie's like, just stay home, like they'll understand. I was like, no, like I really want to go. It's in a hall. It's gonna be really chill, like it'll be fine. I went, and my throat started to go, and then I was talking and I just wasn't myself, like I was trying really hard. My sister in law was like, I'm really worried about you, like you look terrible and you sound terrible. And then as soon as we left, it was like all of that caught up with me and my ears started ringing, my eyes were bloodshot, I was nauseous, I was getting hot and cold. Like it was a twenty minute drive from their home, and I was just like so broken. And Charlie didn't even like we didn't even park the car. He was just like run upstairs, getting to bed now. So I went upstairs and I got into bed, and I don't even know if I slept because I felt like I was conscious. It was like twilight sleeping or something, but just closing my eyes and resting did help. Like when I got up, I was like significantly better, but not still not good, but it was bad. It was really bad because I had such a physical reaction to the sleep deprivation, like I was before I laid down. I was like dry wretching in the toilet because I thought I was going to vomit, like and I think it was a combination. I think obviously I was getting sick again, which I didn't realize. I just thought my stupid voice had gone away. And then yeah, just being so tired and worn out. So that was my pit and it was really awful, and I think it's probably the worst moment I've had, and the second time having a newborn for sure.
Speaker 2: And it also is exacerbated by the fact that you're back.
Speaker 3: At work now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly when.
Speaker 2: You first brought her home, as much as you could, you could still just rest through the day. But now you've got so many different responsibilities. It's just adding onto that plus trying to buy a house, Like there is just so much on your plate at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: And I could Oh god, I can feel it is all that sleep when you're that tired, it's an awful feeling. I'm so sorry. Like that's just like he's hoping it passed as quickly. Come on, Suki girl, we need you to get a bit better at sleeping.
Speaker 1: Honestly, you're like, you know it's going to pass, so you have this hope, but then it still doesn't make it much easier at all. Like the knowledge is there, but it's still fucked. Like I just don't want to scare anyone at home, because obviously it's I'm loving it. I'm loving being among the second time around. But I think it's also just the sickness, right, because I think rue was kind of the end of COVID, but everyone was still really like it was still very careful. Yeah, so we didn't get sick until she went to day care, so anytime that there was a regression, and there was never any sickness on top of that, you know, like we were really healthy throughout. So it's just I think compounding all the things at once.
Speaker 2: It is the worst part about parenting when you're sick, having to parent. It is just because it's you need to be taken care of when you're sick. And also you're not thinking about when when Rue was a baby. Yes, you might not have been sick as much when she was going through different things, but you also then didn't have a todd light and you weren't working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly because you.
Speaker 2: Took a year off, and yeah, you did not have a toddler with lots of feelings racing around the house.
Speaker 1: Oh one hundred. So that was my pit. Now let's get a little bit of positivity in the air, shall we. My peak was spending the morning baking and cooking in my pajamas.
Speaker 3: So, oh my god, you're so cute.
Speaker 1: We had a long weekend and I got up early because Charlie had been well not earlier. I just got up with Rue, put Bluie on for her, and then I was like, you know what, I could go and sit on the couch and be on my phone, or I could just make some stuff. And I had all this stuff to make these like chocolate muffins at Rue Love's and also I really wanted to make her lasagna for dinners, and I was like, fuck it, I'm just gonna cook in my pajamas. And that's what I did, and I just had the best time. Like Rue was like glued to the TV. I didn't have to worry about her. Suki was I think with me, Yeah she was. She was like in the bouncer, just chilling out, very chilled and didn't really care. She was happy to just to sit and watch what I was doing. But I just love cooking so much. I've always loved it. I don't get to do it as much or as often, and it just having these little creations at the end they're so yummy. I don't know, it was just it brought me so much joy.
Speaker 2: And I like, I don't know, you have to drop the recipe for the muffins because they looked you sent me a photo or they looked so.
Speaker 3: Juicy and yummy.
Speaker 1: They're so good. They're from that baby food Bible. They're not in the cookbook though, they're actually on their Instagram, so I'll get the link and pop it in the show notes. But my god, they're actually really good and they've got like spinach and zucchini and them like healthy chocolate muffins. You kind of been taste and they taste fucking amazing. So yeah, yuh mu. It was the best like morning, and then we saw our friends in the afternoon, so it's just like a beautiful day and I really needed that. I really needed like a little wind, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a nice day where not everyone's fighting you, including your own body.
Speaker 4: And yeah, yeah, so to talk to me sometimes, Dolores, sometimes you have to be a high rideing bitch to survive.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's can I be a bit resector? So what would you like to have a wee moan about today? Cal? A reminder if you're new, every month we've taken in turns to bitch about something whatever really that tickles our fancy and we do that for sixty seconds and then we both discuss Cal's up this week. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let me get into it, as Len has gotten older, I've shared less and less of him and his behaviors online. Firstly because I think that, like, I really struggle sometimes to differentiate between my experience as a mom and what I can share without completely violating his experience because he is a small person now, not a blob like when he was a baby. Yeah, I probably overshared, but I'm like, eh, you're a baby, You're not a person yet. Secondly, I share less because anytime I do share, I know that I'm going to cop at least a few dms from people.
Speaker 3: They word it two ways.
Speaker 2: They'll say a be really straight up and they go, have you had him as assessed autism or be?
Speaker 3: They'll insinuate as.
Speaker 2: Much by being like, oh, Teddy did this all the time when he was three. He turns out he's got this hah. Sending solidarity and of course everyone means well. Like, the community online is so beautiful and I'm very grateful, and I think that it's lovely that people care and that they're invested. But it's almost like being online removes the general boundaries that we have in real life, because I just don't know how many people would say to someone in real life, especially someone that they don't know at all.
Speaker 3: Have you considered your child might be autistic? I have people close to.
Speaker 2: Me in my real life that I've wondered about different things with their kids, but I would never actually say anything because it's not my place. I'm not an expert, and if I've noticed something, I'm sure that the parent has.
Speaker 3: Of the child.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if because we as a generation weren't diagnosed with anything and so where or being not all of this, but a lot of us have been diagnosed with things as an adult. It's like we're overcompensating by overdiagnosing everyone with everything.
Speaker 3: Like, at the end of the day, he's three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's three, Yeah, he's three. I've been kind of dying to talk about this because the parasocial relationships that we have on social media. For some reason, it baffles me because people feel completely comfortable saying something that should be quietly said in their mind out loud, Like, sure, you can think things. I think. The mind wanders and you can't obviously control what your mind thinks and questions, but at the end of the day, just let that be a thought. You don't need that thought to become an opinion or advice however well meaning it is, and like you never know someone else's struggle. I guarantee ten out of ten a parent of a child has already thought about possibly exploring something that you've noticed because you are with your child. Twenty four seven. Like, I was in a situation where I noticed something about a friend's child said one thing. Found out much later. They were very concerned about it and had been doing all the good things. I was so glad I didn't say anything, like, who was I to say something? Of course, I've noticed, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, although now I'm just thinking about one. So my girlfriend and her husband, they're a nurse and doctor, noticed a turn in Lenny's eye and said something to me about it.
Speaker 3: I hadn't noticed that.
Speaker 1: That is like a medical thing, and.
Speaker 2: They are in the medical profession. And the only reason they noticed it or said anything was because two out of three of their kids had the turn and it was affecting their eyesight long term. So they were like, if you get on top of it anyway, it turns out his eyes actually fine.
Speaker 3: But I appreciated knowing that.
Speaker 1: I think it's important to differentiate between something like a physical ailment that someone may not have noticed. Like very famously, there are always people who are on TV who are like I was on reality TV and all of these nurses reached out to me and said, like, the little nodules on my neck looked big and that maybe I needed to go and get that checked. And it turns out that that celebrity, what.
Speaker 3: Is it with you and next nodules?
Speaker 4: Key?
Speaker 1: Honestly, they're following me around, don't they. It's so funny. But these people have said that they've ended up having to go and get them out because they were like pre cancerous whatever. So that is helpful, right, But I think it's when you're like doing sweeping diagnosis of people's kids when you haven't met them and you do not have any qualification to do so. I know that you may have lived experience, but calling someone some possibly autistic, maybe just think that in your head and don't say it out loud. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do know that people mean well, like there's not a malicious intent behind anyone's messages or comments, but like he's.
Speaker 3: Three and I share tiny little bits of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also feel like the whole wording around AHHD and autism, calling it a diagnosis when it's not an ailment, and I know there's no other way to word it.
Speaker 3: I just think that.
Speaker 2: We're in this world where everyone is just so keen to over diagnose everyone with everything, and we're not really letting kids just actually develop, maybe at different rates to each other, maybe with stronger reactions or more sensitivities to other kids. Like all of a sudden, we have to label everyone without just letting them be kids for a while. I'll be having conversations with people and they'll be like, oh, yeah, I'm getting my kids assessed, and they're like.
Speaker 3: Two, yeah, Like your job is too.
Speaker 2: Obviously, there are caveats to that, so say they're significantly delayed, maybe you're pediatrician or GP has said hey, maybe go get this checked or whatnot. But just because you think that they're not reaching milestones as quickly as other people, or that they're having more intense reactions to different things, I just think that that's a spectrum of being on a toddler.
Speaker 3: Some kids have real big feelings and some kids don't have as many big feelings.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't automatically mean that your child is autistic. And I do think that kids are getting over diagnosed. I am so sorry if I word something wrong. But so my brother worked for the ndies and someone I know went and had their kid assessed, and I was very shocked because I just thought their kid was displaying very average toddler behavior obviously though they know their child better than anyone else, and they went and got the child assessed, and the child was assessed.
Speaker 3: At a level two, which is quite severe.
Speaker 2: But then I was asking my brother and he was saying, oh, yeah, they actually all put someone onto the next level so that that person gets more support, which is great if people need different support. But then because an autism diagnosis isn't a small thing, and it would really sort of change the complete trajectory of the way that our life as a parent and his life. And I haven't talked about my own diagnosis.
Speaker 3: Publicly because I don't think it's that interesting.
Speaker 2: And I think, like as I said at the top, none of us were diagnosed with things as kids, so a lot of people are getting diagnosed with different things as they get older. So then I do argue with myself because I understand that the research has shown that early diagnosis can lead to then early intervention, which can significantly improve your child's development and quality of life, and also helps a parent understand their child's behavior and find more effective strategies to support them. Because with the arguing with myself, on the one hand, I'll be like, I'm such a boomer, I'm so my father, I'll be like, bunch of bloody snowflakes, look at me. I turned out fine. But then I think about it, and I think about how angry I still am that no one ever picked up on different signs with me, and how much I still am struggling to figure things out, and how much a diagnosis might have helped with things like when teachers like they could have given me a separate area or headphones for exams rather than me stuffing tissues in my ears and not being able to finish an exam because I was like rocking in my seat, crying because I couldn't concentrate when there was a clock ticking or someone was sniffing. And it might have helped my dad to know that I wasn't being as spoilt brat as he thought when I was like, I can't drink from these different water bottles and then I would faint at netball because I was so dehydrated because he'd still pack me one anyway, and I'd be like, I'm not drinking from that one, and then I'd faint because I simply could not drink out of that vessel. I spent my entire life thinking that that was sort of perfectly normal behavior. And I mean I still do in a way, because I still can't drink from different vessels and would rather be dehydrated than do so. But on the one hand, yes, it have helped me so much, But then on the other hand, I just feel like we're sort of overcoddling people because I still turned out just fine.
Speaker 1: Well questionable. Now I'm just kidding, well, I think, well, as you're saying this, like, I think that obviously the trend is women in their thirties and older being diagnosed with something like ADHD. That's a massive trend because historically, we know, like when we were growing up, they only thought boys had ADHD, and the way in which it presents the boys is completely different to girls, is what I understand. And I am not speaking from experience. I'm speaking from what I've heard from different people and their diagnosis and their kids and things like that. But I don't think it's a mistake that the generation who were underdiagnosed are having kids and that generation of kids are now somewhat overdiagnosed, because I think that we are so angry about the fact that we didn't have the opportunity to have the tools that we may have needed, that there is not a world that we want to live in in which we don't want our kids to have not have to worry about that. So I understand like what you're saying, but I think it's honestly a director reaction to the fact that we're a generation that of women who really struggled with things like ADHD and not knowing that we had them.
Speaker 2: And I think that that also probably has because the thing with autism ADHD, if someone in your family does have it, like it's more likely that you have it if your parent does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I always make jokes now to my dad, I'm like you and you're undiagnosed at AHD, Like he's hyperfixations and little idiosyncrasies. But it worries me and I also just feel so upset on behalf of len because I probably just get triggered when people say something like it's always water off a duck's back. But I probably do get a little bit triggered because I don't want him to have autism, because I don't want him to have to struggle with things.
Speaker 3: And when I see the shyness and.
Speaker 2: The way that he reacts to different things and the extreme, extreme moods, I do see so much of myself. But I have found just simple things so hard my entire life. But I did just think that that was normal until getting to an adult and figure out other people don't actually feel like that. They don't need to stick straws out of the car windows because they're so upset about breathing in the same area as other people. Knowing that makes it worse because I'm like, I don't want him to find it hard to live in a world with neurotypical people that don't understand. Even in a world that is more understanding, everything is just so much harder for different people, And yeah, I just don't want that for him. A couple of weeks ago, I was chatting to a colleague and she was saying her teenage son had his very first lumber party for his birthday at his house and she goes, oh, my goodness, you couldn't even imagine just a huge bunch of twelve and thirteen year old boys ninety percent of them are on ADHD meds And I'm like, really, I'm surely they don't all need like that is a serious drug. Where are we failing that badly that all of these kids need to be on such a hard drug, Like, surely not all of the kids need to be on those meds. And if they really do, maybe then we need to actually look at the education system and how it hasn't changed in decades despite so much change.
Speaker 3: In media in the way that we absorb everything.
Speaker 2: And that our own constant need for dopamine hits and like, is it the kids or is it actually the system?
Speaker 3: Because I would say that it's the system.
Speaker 1: I was reading something about are we over diagnosing? And it was like a study that someone said that it proved that they were. And then the way in which we does diagnos the lower threshold to get into it is actually reasonably easy, like if you display some characteristics of whatever thing that you may think your child may have. And the reason they do that, right is because they don't want to miss anyone who is struggling they want to be able to help them. But what it also means is like the approach that then has taken to treat that person is almost the same as treating someone who is scoring higher within that diagnosis. So I think what needs to actually happen. And I'm speaking from a place of no experience, so again I'm going to apologize as well, but I'm just what I've read and what that person said resonated with me is that we need to be investing more in occupational therapists who can help people maybe on that lower end and that may still be able to navigate life without you know, more of the intense ways of support that we see and kids that maybe have higher needs. So I thought that that was really interesting. I think it does come down to because I thought you made me think of that then when you said about schooling and how it hasn't changed, and it's like, maybe the way in which we are diagnosing kids hasn't changed in forever, and maybe that needs to actually be looked at and re examined, because if you are just sweeping all these kids into one box and being like this is how we're going to treat them, that might not be the best way forward, like maybe other kids would thrive with a different and maybe a bit of a softer approach, but again that's down to resources and funding, which we know historically isn't great.
Speaker 2: I'm aware that neither of us have school aged children, and other of us have had to live through a child not being able to concentrate at school or anything. So please take this with a grain of salt, like this is just us having a conversation in real time.
Speaker 1: I myself have medicated, and I have been medicated since a teenager. Yeah, yeah, been on and it depresses my whole life. So I am pro meds. I have been, like, that's the one thing I think that has really saved me throughout my adolescence and into my adulthood has been medicated, having a psychologist that I see. So in no way do I think that you shouldn't do that for your child, if that's what it needs to be. I think it's just like opening up the question of what else can we do to help support kids that maybe don't need to go that route, or help parents to understand what they can even do, or even me as like supporting a friend like I've got no idea like if a friend was to turn around and say, the kid got a diagnosis, I'd have to go out and figure out, like how can I support them? I don't want them to be on that journey alone, you know.
Speaker 3: But is it a journey?
Speaker 2: This is the thing, like, of course if they're on the severe end of the spectrum, but if it's like a level one diagnosis, like, is there anything that you can really do? Maybe it's more like a sensory thing and not, you know, teach your kid that it's okay that other kids might be upset about loud noises or you know, darkness or whatnot. And on that note, I do want the best for Lenny, but he's three years old. Please stop telling me he's autistic.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: My first recommendation is actually a recommendation from a shitter. This literally gave me my whole body goosebumps. It is so good. So I'm just gonna play it directly from the mum that sent it in.
Speaker 5: Hey, I just wanted to say something that I think would be really cool for you guys to mention on your podcast. At one point on Saturday night, I went to a like a food market with my toddler, A newborn and some friends and my toddler, my three year old boy Sonny is a runner like we've lost him on numerous occasions. It's actually pretty shocking. But on Friday, we went to this market. My toddler jumped on the jumping castle, which was fenced around the jumping castle. There was four of us, me and my husband and two friends watching him jumping. We must have taken our eyes off him for a second. We looked back at the jumping castle. We couldn't see him, but everyone thought, oh, he's just around the corner behind the inflatable bits, and so kept talking and I was like, no, no, no, I know this kid. I walked over. He was gone. Honestly, we lost him for about, oh my god, it fore like three hours. But in them at night, so it was pitch black. But markets so you know, lots of like bright areas and stuff. My girlfriend switched into gear. I do not know how she knew to do this, but she just started screaming, yellow jacket, red stars, lost boy, yellow jacket, red stars. And I'm not kidding. As I was frantically screaming running around this market, these markets looking for him, I had women passing me screaming yellowjacket, red stars, and like it was goosebumps even thinking about it. But it was the most incredible thing, and he was found within like five minutes, but like you know, I had, honestly, it felt like fifty women running past me screaming my boy's clothes.
Speaker 6: At one point we had a bit of an issue where a lady came up to be saying he's been found. That girl over there has him, and I run back and it was my girlfriend who was still screaming what he was wearing.
Speaker 5: But I have never seen anything like it. I can't thank my friend enough for jumping into gear like that, because it was just me and my husband left our newborn in the pram and just sprinted around this huge market and we didn't have a hope in hell because it was just a needle in a haystack next to a park, next to a like river water canal thing on a main road like anyway. I just thought so long winded, and my baby's crying. But I think it would be amazing for you just to mention that anyone that has toddlers that are runners to just start screaming we've lost him before. And I haven't been so lucky to have someone standing next to me to jump into gear like that.
Speaker 3: Do you have goosebumps?
Speaker 2: Such a simple but effective, amazing hack. I just feel like every everyone should know that hack. Like even if you don't have a runner, you don't have kids, knowing that hack could help you find someone else's kid. And my other recommendation is short stories, like for adults. I mean, these are for you, not for your kids. Obviously, I love to read, and I'm really short stories at the moment because my problem is that I it's both expensive and very time consuming because I will completely have a fixate on a book or audio book and that's all I can sort of do or concentrate on until it's finished.
Speaker 3: So with short stories, it's a few hours, so.
Speaker 2: It's like kind of perfect for the end of the day nighttime, Like it's kind of like just watching a couple of shows at nighttime instead you're reading a.
Speaker 3: Little short story book.
Speaker 2: But a lot of authors actually do special ones, like there'll be Amazon exclusives.
Speaker 3: You can download them on your kindle.
Speaker 2: They're also either free sometimes if they're an exclusive, or there are a few dollars I'll pop some recommendations in the show notes of ones that I've enjoyed recently, but I am just really into short stories at the moment.
Speaker 3: On that note, fairly well, please rate and review us.
Speaker 1: We're off.
Speaker 3: Leave your questions in the link in the show.
Speaker 2: Notes or in the SSR pod on Insta.
Speaker 3: We'll be back in your ears next week.
Speaker 1: We will. It was produced by US and the audio production is by Mattie Joeannu. Bye Shit Is Bye.