Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma mea podcast Muma Mer acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters. This podcast is recorded on This episode deals with discussion of mental ill health and assault and won't be for everyone. If you or anyone you know needs help, there is a list of support services in our show notes. Communication is often tauted as the number one maker or breaker of any relationship, and Ava and Aaron had it nailed.
Speaker 2: We used to have really long intellectual conversations on the couch all night. Where most other couples would be going to bed and having sex, We'd sit on the couch and talk about just the most random thing for hours and hours. Yeah, it wasn't just your normal what's your favorite color or where's your favorite holiday destination. They were really really deep conversation. So we connected on a really deep level right from the get go.
Speaker 1: So when open communication is the number one thing you've always had, what does it do to a relationship when all of a sudden, one party decides to keep something hidden, literally hidden under lock and key.
Speaker 2: The shed was locked with like a huge big pad lock, so I could never get in there to have a look. There were times that I had tried to go up there and get in, but I needed like a really big pair of bolt cutters to do it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what are you doing up there?
Speaker 1: I'm Georgia Love and this is everyone has an ex Come with me as we dive into a collection of unconventional stories about relationships passed through the eyes and the hearts of the very people who lipped them. Every single girl knows this setup. A friend who knows a guy who's just your type, and you have to meet. And that's how our story begins today. Well kind of because Ava was being set up, yes, but it wasn't with the guy this story is about.
Speaker 2: I was single for a very long time in my twenties, and then one particular weekend I went to visit a friend interstate and she had said to me, I've got the most amazing man for you to meet. So I flew into state and spent the weekend with my friend, and the most amazing man that she wanted me to meet was not actually Aaron, It was his best friend. So we went out for the night and I soon began to realize that I wasn't really attracted to the best friend, but I was attracted to Aaron, and my friend had said to me, no, no, no, you can't be with Aaron. I've known him for a really long time and you won't get along and you need to hook up with the best friend.
Speaker 3: She thought he was.
Speaker 2: Extremely arrogant and rude and selfish, and she believed that I needed someone kinder, maybe a little less extrovert than him. She's like, you would suit someone more introvert because I'm an extrovert. And she said the two of you will will not match because you'll both want the limelight kind of thing. So yeah, she was very adamant he was not going to be a good match.
Speaker 1: But what do we do when we're told not to do something, ladies.
Speaker 3: I was completely drawn to him.
Speaker 2: I ignored the best friend pretty much the whole weekend. The initial attraction was his charisma. He could sell ice to the Eskimos. He just had this beautiful aura about him. He was extremely smart, he was just interesting. He'd lived a really interesting life. He'd lived overseas, He'd had interesting experiences and jobs, and I just became fascinated. And I think because I've lived a very similar life. I've traveled a lot and had a lot of exciting jobs as well. We kind of just bounced off each other, and I was definitely attracted to him in a more of an intellectual way than say how he physically looked. But yeah, that quickly agrew for me. It was like we had known each other for years, and yeah, there was just something there. It was I'd never felt that way about someone before. After the weekend, I flew back home and Aaron and I stayed in touch and struck up this really beautiful friendship to begin with. And then work actually took me to the city that he was from. I was working in the airlines and one of the airlines I was working for was opening a new service in his city and asked me to go and set up that. So I took that opportunity as a good professional opportunity, but also an opportunity in love as well. I thought, well, I'm feeling this way about this man professionally, it was going to be a really good decision, and so I took a chance and moved.
Speaker 1: Sometimes life just finds a way.
Speaker 2: It was around six weeks after and then when I first got to his city, was with another friend, and then he actually rang me and said I've got a spare room in my house now that I could have for really cheap rent. So I ended up moving into his house about three weeks after being there, and then we stayed together the whole time. So we moved in very very quickly. It was like we'd been living together forever. Really, it was just so easy. He was amazing cook. He's a pedantic cleaner, so I was being very well looked after doing quite long hours with my new role, and he took charge of the house and I thought I could get used to this. There were no red flags. I was just thinking, this man is unbelievable. There was no love bombing. There was We had the same love language and everything. It was spending quality time together and he said all the right things and made me feel amazing, like I was the only woman in the world. We used to have really long intellectual conversations on the couch all night. Where most other couples would be, you know, going to bed and having sex, We'd sit on the couch and talk about the most random things for hours and hours.
Speaker 3: He was just interesting, you know.
Speaker 2: He was the kind of guy that always wanted to know why. I think even growing up his parents would say why is the sky blue?
Speaker 3: And why are we here?
Speaker 2: And he was always very curious about life and experiences, and I guess he kind of brought out that curiosity for me as well.
Speaker 3: We connected on such a like.
Speaker 2: An emotional level, and yeah, just his intellect is something I'd never come across in a partner before. It was really good to watch how his kind of brain worked, and you know, wanting to know about all different belief systems, and you know, we even had talks about death and after life, and yeah, it wasn't just your normal what's your favorite color or where's your favorite holiday destination. They were really really deep conversations. So we connected on a really deep level right from the get go. I'm not a real believer in love at first sight. I could tell that he was going to be the one just because of the ease. So I would go as far to say probably within the first month, I was getting the heart flutters and the butterflies, and you know, wanted to race home and be with him, and I know he felt the same. He said I love you first, and I still remember that day.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was probably only six weeks into our relationship that he said that it was like we had known each other for years, and yeah, there was just something there. It was I'd never felt that way about someone before. I had had boyfriends in the past, but this was just different and it was easy. And I kind of knew then and there that we were going to be together and get married. We were both twenty nine, a lot of our friends were already in the process of getting married and starting to have children, so we were late starters, but.
Speaker 3: It moved very quickly.
Speaker 1: How quickly you ask.
Speaker 2: We ended up buying a house after four months together. We had to move out of this particular rental, and I had a bit of money behind me and he did as well, so we kind of thought, well, rather than getting into a rental, let's just let's just buy a little apartment. So yeah, we did that and got to set up our own little love nest and you know.
Speaker 3: Just start to build a future together. It just felt right.
Speaker 2: A lot of people were saying, you know, I don't think you're rushing into things, but I'm like, oh, you need to trust me. I know when I feel something which I haven't felt in past long term relationships before, I know this is right.
Speaker 3: At no time did I think it was. It was too quick.
Speaker 2: I was just you know, hook line and sinker in my own little love bubble and just thought I'd completely hit the jackpot.
Speaker 3: Then the next step was he.
Speaker 2: He asked me to marry him on a Melbourne cup day that was eight months into the relationship. He made me do a hot and cold hunt around the house, like you know, I'd go into the kitchen and he'd say cold, cold, cold, and go out the front and he'd say warm, warm, warmer. And then I finally got to his car and there was a bottle of champagne and the rings sitting on his front car seat where I turned around and I was like, oh my.
Speaker 3: Gosh, is this for real? And he's like, yes, marry me.
Speaker 2: And we pop the champagne on the front lawn and sprayed it everywhere, and yeah, it was a really beautiful moment. I just wish he wasn't so a ne breaded. He was blind drunk when he proposed to me. And then the next morning I'm like, maybe you might want to take this ring back and he's like, no, no, I've had the ring.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I wanted to propose. I just wasn't supposed to propose in that particular way. He got completely excited. I think he'd had this whole thing planned in a beautiful part like down at the beach, far more romantic setting than being blind drunk after going to the races and coming home. And yeah, he couldn't contain himself. He just wanted to do it, which I guess was nice At the time. It was kind of endearing that he couldn't wait. There was a little bit of pushback. Yeah, a few people were like, oh, gee, that's like it's only been eight months. But I guess when you start living together so soon in the relationship, you get to learn a lot about people.
Speaker 3: In that time.
Speaker 2: There wasn't really a time that we were just dating and doing our own thing and living separately. But look, majority of my support network were very excited for me that I'd finally found someone to settle down with. We decided to get married exactly twelve months after the proposal, so we planned. It wasn't a huge wedding. It was pretty traditional, really, Yeah, white dress, bridesmaids, groomsmen in a park, a reception at a hotel. It was an an extravagant or anything, but it was with our nearest and dearest.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't all perfect. The first thing that ever went wrong, the first and only time Aaron had ever made a even blink, let alone second guess anything, was the very night before the wedding.
Speaker 2: I'm at the hotel with my girls and my bridal party, and I get a phone call and Aaron has been in a punch on with all of his groomsmen and he was crying and saying he can't stay at the hotel that they were at, that his mum and dad were coming to pick him up because he's all beaten and bruised.
Speaker 3: I had never really heard.
Speaker 2: Of him being violent in any sort of way, and so I broke down in tears. And all of my bridesmaids and my sister were there and they're like, oh my gosh, what are you going to do? And I'm like, well, I don't know. I don't know what to do. Do I go around there and they're like, no, you know, leave him to sort it out. It's you know, this is your last night as well, and we're here drinking champagne and in our Peter Alexander pajamas and he needs to sort that out anyway. His mum was calling me, telling me how distraught he was and that he's got a fat lip and a bruised eye, and don't be shocked when I walk down the aisle tomorrow and see him beaten up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was the first red flag for me. I was like, oh no, what am I doing?
Speaker 2: So what I had known to have happened was that he had an expectation that the boys would all come to the hotel and have a few beers and hang out. Now a couple of them couldn't make it, so he got very upset that he had made it to their wedding or pre wedding drinks, and so yeah, I think he'd had a few drinks and told them exactly how he felt about them not being there, and they ended up coming around, and I think he was too angry by that stage and a fight had broken out, and yeah, he did have a huge fat lip when I walked down the aisle the next day. I didn't know if I believe that it was about the boys not coming over. I started to feel really quite insecure about were they upset that he was marrying me? Did they think that he was rushing into it as well? And thinking it was a really bad idea, and his friends were not actually very nice people. But I didn't say to him, I don't want you to be friends with these people.
Speaker 3: I just used to say to.
Speaker 2: Him sometimes, like they're not very nice and they don't treat you very well, and maybe you need to surround yourself with better people. And so I started, Yeah, I started to get really self conscious about if it was about me.
Speaker 3: Didn't mean to make it about me, but he insisted that.
Speaker 2: It was because he had this expectation and they weren't meeting it well. His friends all got married and didn't have him in the bridal party. Ever, they would go surfing and wouldn't invite him, and he was always just a second thought. And for me, like, I'm so loyal and I've got the most beautiful group of friends around me, and I just hated to see that they would treat him like that. I just wasn't used to those kind of relationships. My friends and I we do so many things together and really look out for each other and have each other's backs. But I just feel like he really didn't have anyone that really had his back. So I became quite protective of him in that way.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't about her, and it was very, very out of the ordinary, so Aver brushed it aside. What's a fat lip in your wedding photos when you have your whole life ahead.
Speaker 2: I absolutely had to let the night before the wedding go because if I didn't, resentment would start.
Speaker 3: It was in there.
Speaker 2: But I managed to be like, okay, this is one night elko oh I was involved. Let's just try and try and let it go. And it never really came back up in conversation. He assured me that they had had punch ons before and were able just to get over it and move on, and it was swept under the carpet and never discussed again. We had the most amazing honeymoon. We went overseas for six weeks, amazing just exploring the world together, which we both loved to do. And then Aaron comes from a very big family, so he was really ready to get cracking and having kids. Now I come from quite a small family, and I was a bit more of the mindset of, you know, maybe we should be married for a couple of years before starting to have kids. But because we were twenty nine, like while we were thirty by that time, he really wanted to get cracking, so we started trying straight away and fell pregnant straight away, and our first child was born twelve months after the wedding day. As a teenager or you know, young woman in their twenties, you always have this timeline of I want to be engaged by twenty eight, married by thirty and baby by thirty two. While I was pretty much living to that of what societal expectation was. So you know, for us, we were on track to having a successful marriage in life. Our first year of marriage was amazing. I just knew he was going to be a really good dad because he wanted to have kids very much. And yeah, he looked after me during pregnancy really well. I had lots of really random cravings and things, so he'd be going out in the middle of the night to get me Granni Smith apples and fruit juice and steam dim sims. So yeah, he was amazing and we were just still in this beautiful marital bliss. We had to sell our apartment that we had bought to move into a into a bigger house because our apartment had a three story walk up. So yeah, we ended up buying a beautiful family home and Yeah, we were ready to start our life with bringing kids into it.
Speaker 3: Our marriage was beautiful.
Speaker 2: We had a really good group of friends that we had made in the community that we moved to.
Speaker 3: I was really enjoying motherhood.
Speaker 2: We had a very successful business as well, so financially we're in a really good position.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Life just really couldn't be any more perfect. So we decided to have a second child two years later, and that again was just a beautiful experience for both of us. And we had made the decision that we were done with just having the two kids, and I think we were at capacity. Our hands were full with running a business, running a household, and having two young children.
Speaker 1: Life continued this way. Ava and Aaron continue their long, deep intellectual chats on the couch. They continued to travel, They loved being parents, and were smashing goals in their business. There hadn't been a single hiccup since the bust up with his mates before the wedding, So when life issued a curveball six years into their marriage, I even knew they could and would tackle it as a team.
Speaker 2: I fell pregnant, so my other two were four and eighteen months and I just really didn't know if I was going to be able to cope with having a third child. So yeah, I had had to have a conversation with Aaron and say, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I can do this.
Speaker 2: I'm at capacity because I was helping run the business. He was out all day, you know, working really long hours from like six am until like nine pm, so really long days. And he had said to me, well, I really want to have a big family, and I said, I know you do, but I don't think this is a financially for us, and be like, I just don't know if I'm going.
Speaker 3: To be able to cope with three kids.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he had given me an ultimatum that if I terminate the pregnancy that he will leave me. I never thought he would give me an ultimatum like that. I was just absolutely thrown back. At the time I found out I was pregnant with my third we were going on a holiday to Thailand with a huge group of people, and I said to him, I'm going to go on that holiday and have a think about it.
Speaker 3: But the resentment then started to build up. I thought, how dare you place that on me?
Speaker 2: So after Thailand, I kind of started to come to terms with pregnancy and decided not only coming to terms with the pregnancy, but I wanted to save my marriage. And during that pregnancy that's when things started to really go downhill. Our relationship was great up until that third pregnancy. He really really wanted to go through with it and I really really didn't and I just felt like he didn't respect my views on it at all, that he was just thinking about himself and what his wishes were, which was.
Speaker 3: To have a big family.
Speaker 2: And yes, so their tension started to grow, and resentment did start to grow throughout because I just again became another designated driver for him for every function, and you know, having to look after two young toddlers at the same time as making a baby. And then I started to worry that I might resent my third childhood and I was like, I can't believe you're putting me in this situation. He started to drink heavily during that third pregnancy as well. Yeah, it was very, very difficult, and by the time my third came, the resentment was really really embedded. Well, there was a couple of things that happened. I had to have a c section because my baby ended up being ten pound five so a really really big boy. And while I was in recovery, Aaron had actually named my baby. So the nurse came down and said, I'm going to take you down to see so and so, and I'm like.
Speaker 3: Who's that.
Speaker 2: She's like, that's your child, and I was like, oh, my gosh, has Aaron named the baby? And she said, yeah, yeah, it's all all the documents are done. So they took me down there and I walk into Niku. Because he was so big he had to go into intensive care for a little bit. And Aaron's mum is holding my baby. So the resentment that was already there absolutely multiplied with within minutes. I was like, a You've named the baby, and be everybody in your family has held him before me.
Speaker 3: There was one name that he liked that I was not a fan of.
Speaker 2: And he he named him that while I was still under a general anesthetic, there is this little stranger that has had cuddles with everybody else.
Speaker 3: After such a traumatic birth.
Speaker 2: I just did didn't know how I was going to move on from that, so coming home was extremely difficult. I would probably say I was pretty close to having postnatal depression. Not so much about the baby, I bonded with him beautifully, but my marriage was breaking down because I was so angry.
Speaker 3: I was so angry.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I just knew that I just needed to be there for my kids, try and get a routine, and then like the marriage would sort itself out later.
Speaker 3: I would say I checked out.
Speaker 2: I started to check out, and I just really needed to focus on trying to raise three kids under four, Like, yeah, it was really really difficult.
Speaker 3: And he was still drinking. So I started to think, well, he's not coping with three kids either, Like he would lose his crap if you know, one of them was having a tantrum. I would you get to the point where I couldn't deal with it? So I'd say to him, can you come and like sort this out, takeover. I need to tap out.
Speaker 2: And then what would happen was he would then escalate, and then I would have to step back in because now I've got a child escalating, an arrow escalating, and.
Speaker 3: It was just an absolute nightmare.
Speaker 2: It was almost like I had another child who I was consistently trying to de escalate, which, yeah, like I said, the resentment would just continue to build up and even more every single day. He just continued on this drinking cycle until one day he actually came to me and said, I'm going to have twelve months off the alcohol. And I thought, oh my gosh, this is a this is amazing. Oh he's understanding, and you know, I started to think maybe there is a future for us together. And so he stopped drinking completely, but then decided to start smoking marijuana.
Speaker 3: So he was swapping one vice for another vice.
Speaker 2: It would have been a year that it did completely turn around, and it did a massive one eighty and just continue to go downhill. I didn't think things could get much worse, actually, but they did. About a year after my third was born, he decided he didn't want to own a business anymore. He wanted to sell the business. I was okay with him wanting to sell the business. Although it made us really really good money, I knew how stressful it was for him. So I said to him, I'm happy if you want to stay at home and look after the kids, I'll go back to work. So he said, okay, let's do that then, so we switched roles and I went to work and he stayed at home. Anyway, he rang me one day while I was at work, and he said, I've just sold the business.
Speaker 3: I was like, what do you what do you mean. He's like, yeah, I've sold the business.
Speaker 2: I've sold it to another another company, and it's all sign sealed and delivered. And I said, hang on a minute, we need to have a conversation around that. And he's like, I know, it's all done. So he sold the business. Really the really big decisions without consulting me, and really quite irrational decisions. And his behavior just started to become really strange with that kind of thing, just like buying a two seater car when we're a family of five with the money from the business, Like just really really strange behavior. I was thinking that he was about to have a full blown mental breakdown, a full psychotic mental breakdown. I was watching him slowly decline mentally. So I suggested to him to seek some therapy and find a psychologist. And he was never really into that. Sitting down and talking about feelings with a complete stranger. There was absolute irony in the fact that we were connected on such an intellectual level talking about all these deep topics, and at that stage I was a stranger to him. So the fact that he was so anti sharing his feelings with the stranger and wanting to get better from there.
Speaker 1: He declined further. While he was working on their property one day cutting trees, he was hit by a falling branch and suffered a debilitating back injury. He needed surgery and around the clock care for three months. Ava kept the home fires burning as best she could, but Aaron's mental health got worse.
Speaker 2: It was clear to me that he was not coping with selling his business. He was not coping with three kids. He had this idea that life was life was not amazing. He had been sold a lie. Was basically how I looked at it, that three kids and white picket fence and business is not.
Speaker 3: What it's all cracked up to be.
Speaker 2: So he was very open about that with me, that I'm supposed to be happy. I've got this beautiful wife and kids and we live on a beautiful property, and it's just I'm just not happy, and I don't know what to do. So I took him to hospital, and yeah, he spent some time there in the mental health wold. I said to him, you need to stay here, get better. Once he got discharged from hospital, he came home and he was this completely different person, and I'm not saying for the better.
Speaker 3: Still making really bizarre decisions. And then he decided he wanted to.
Speaker 2: He wanted to build a shed on our property, like a man cave that no one else could go into.
Speaker 3: And he's like, I'm going to do it, And so he got.
Speaker 2: All the materials together and built this huge, absolutely huge shared up the back of our property, and no one was allowed to go up there, like the kids weren't allowed to go up there. It was padlocked, and I'm like, what are you doing up there? And he said, oh, it's like my meditation room. I'm going to meditate twice a day. I'll get up early in the morning. So he would get up at like five thirty and go up there till like seven point thirty and meditate, and then once the kids would go to bed at night at seven point thirty, he'd be up there again meditating for two hours. One day, I actually just said to him, what are you doing up there? Let's have a conversation about it. And he's like, oh, I'm just it's my cave. I just don't really want to share with anyone. It's my personal space. The shed was locked with like a huge big pad lock, so I could never get in there to have a look. There were times that I had tried to go up there and get in, but I needed like a really big pair of bolt cutters to do it. Our relationship went from sitting on the couch for hours and talking to me being alone on the couch every night because he's up there doing god knows what.
Speaker 1: Something else had changed after Aaron's time in hospital. While he'd always been a curious person and loved deep conversations and deep thinking, the questions he started asking morphed and his view on the world began to shift.
Speaker 2: He was spending hours up in the shed. He was spending hours on the internet up there. He was spending hours on the internet. In the bathroom, he was spending hours on the internet. When we would go to bed, he constantly had his iPad with him. He was constantly on the Internet asking.
Speaker 3: Why, how, who? What are we here for? That's not true.
Speaker 2: He became very pessimistic about life, and then we just started to have conversations around conspiracy theories. I remember one conversation we had one day, which was about the moon landing, and he's like, do you know that there's people that don't believe in the moon landing, and I'm like, yeah, I said, that's old news, Like of course theories it's always been that way, Like you know, Red Hot Chili Peppers filmed in a Hollywood basement, and he's like, I can't believe it. I never never knew that. So it started with the moon landing. He kind of went exploring with that and was like, holy crap, there's like a really big community of people that don't believe in that. And then it went to September eleven, and then it went to the Pyramids. How did the Pyramids get to Egypt? It was probably a process of maybe six months of investigating online and just going down this absolute rabbit hole of conspiracy and qann and like really really dangerous stuff, you know, And we'd still have conversations around conspiracy theories. I'm very flexible and love hearing about people's belief systems as well, so we still occasionally had conversations around what he's looking up and you know this didn't happen and watch this video and they're crisis actors, and you know, he was even researching like the crisis actors in all these different world events that had happened.
Speaker 3: So I was just like, okay, kind of just let him go. He's on a tangent at the moment.
Speaker 2: So it started off as an interest, which I was fully supportive of, and then it became his belief system. He never had solid belief systems. He was very flexible in his thinking, so he was interested in a lot of other people's belief systems to try and I think he was trying to work out his own. And then finally he found something that's it's with him and that the whole world is a stage and where just players in it. And then it actually became a complete and utter obsession.
Speaker 3: He was obsessed with it. It was day night.
Speaker 2: He really started to latch on to these conspiracy theories around the Holocaust, Sandy Hook nine to eleven, the news. Every time the news came on, he'd get up and switch the TV off. He's like listening to that rubbish and putting rubbish in our kids' ears.
Speaker 3: And then it went to flat Earth.
Speaker 2: Flat Earth was actually the biggest community that he became a part of, and it was even to the point where I rang his mum and said, oh, look, I'm actually really worried about him, and she said, oh, no, it's just a phase he's going through. He'll snap out of it. He's done this before. I was like, really, well, not since we've been married. And She's like, as a child, he used to go on tangents about the world and death and things like that. Don't worry, he'll come back around. So I'm kind of holding on to hope that I'm going to get my amazing husband back. He got T shirts printed with hashtag flat earth and was wearing them everywhere, like to barbecues, to the school with the kids, and again the resentment started to build up, and I'm like, you are not wearing flat earth T shirts to the kids' school. He's like, you can't tell me what to wear. We'd go to barbecues, he'd be cornering people. He was trying to recruit people in the town we were living in, and then everybody in town started to think, oh my gosh, this dude's gone crazy. So there then not only did I have resentment, I started to be embarrassed and filled with shame of like I had this amazing man and now he's just the town crazy. So I was constantly starting to apologize for his behavior. Everywhere we went it was oh, sorry, and then I'd be like, okay, and I've got to take you home now because it's getting ridiculous. I consistently said to him, it's great that you've got this belief system, but you've got to stop trying to put it on to other people.
Speaker 3: And then he's, Oh, you're all.
Speaker 2: Asleep and no one's awake, and I have to tell everybody that they're asleep.
Speaker 3: It was who have I married? This was not in the brochure.
Speaker 1: While Ava didn't share the same thoughts, she tried to be as supportive as she could while Aaron went through this personal journey. She thought, or hoped, as his mum had said, it was a face, a self discovery of sorts to help him heal and find himself then come back. But he didn't. Over the next two years, he only got deeper into the conspiracies, the community he'd found online, and further away from the man she'd known for eight years prior.
Speaker 3: My self esteem was obviously rock bottom.
Speaker 2: Here I am trying to manage three kids, working full time, paying our mortgage because he's busy this breakdown, and you know, googling conspiracies, so again, resentment building up just to the point where I think I avoided I was just avoiding having to have the conversation. I knew what I had to do, I absolutely knew what I had to do, but I just couldn't even bring myself to say those words, because I just was hoping he would get better and that it was just a phase and he might come out the other end. We did have a conversation one day where I said, is this it is this who you are now? And he said, yes, it is, and you either deal with it, put up with it, or you leave. So he again had given me this really random ultimatum of do this or then you got to do that. So I was in a position where I said to him, well, this wasn't in the brochure, and you are not the man I'm married, and I need to work out whether I'm okay with this, And to be honest, the man that I've known over the past two years is not really someone I like who has the same belief systems as me anymore. That's what we our whole relationship grew on, was you know, having these same belief systems and now you are a completely different person. And I need to work out whether that's actually someone I want to be with anymore. So he was very blase about it. Oh well, you let me know once you make that decision. I was probably most devastated that he wasn't fighting for me.
Speaker 3: There was no apology.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I've gone down this path and I'm dragging you with me while I try and work out where.
Speaker 3: My place is in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was soul destroying, really really hard to reconcile. But I had my kids, and you know, I had a good support network. I just couldn't make that step to say we're done. Yeah, it just wasn't easy to walk away because I knew the man that he was, and I guess I was going through a green process of losing him while he's still sharing my bed and you know, eating dinner with us, and you know, spending time with us. I was absolutely going through a grief process, and it was so hard to cut the tires because grieving someone that's still there every single day is extremely hard to do. And I just couldn't get to that final acceptance stage of grief where I had the strength to walk away. So, yeah, I was still stuck in this denial cycle, you know, the bargaining kind of cycle of grief as well of like, oh well, maybe if I just wait a couple of months longer, he'll snap.
Speaker 3: Out of it.
Speaker 2: That was a very common common phrase I would say to myself, and his family were saying that to me as.
Speaker 3: Well, he'll snap out of it. But there just didn't seem to be a point that he was going to.
Speaker 2: And then things started to get really really strange. I was at home one day and a part Russell was delivered and I opened it up and it was about ten books of black magic and a cape, a black cape with a hood. I started to flick through some of the books that had arrived, and there's all these spells and just really really bizarre stuff in this book. He came home and I said, what the heck is this? And he's like, oh, that's my magic stuff. And I said what do you mean magic? And he's like, I'm delving into black magic. And I said, well, what does that even mean? And he's like, oh, you know, if you've got someone that's annoying you at work, like I can do something about it. I said what do you mean and he's like, oh, well, if you can get one of their hairs. I can put it in the freezer and I won't kill them, but I'll make sure that they have a really difficult life moving forward. I'm thinking he's actually lost the plot. So at that point, that's where humor started to come into it for me, because I just couldn't even reconcile that he's ordering capes and magic books online. How far fetched and how ridiculous. This just could not get any more ridiculous. So my group of friends and I started to actually laugh about it, like it started to become comical.
Speaker 1: I've had well and truly checked out of the marriage. They were living separate lives in every way possible, So what would it take to make her finally break the spell.
Speaker 2: We're probably coming on three years now of him not snapping out of it, and so this was our tenth year of marriage. He said to me, Oh, I'm going to go to my mate's house and have a boy's night. Is that okay? And I said, oh, go dock your sucks off like it. Finally someone in town had invited him over, and I thought, this, this is good. You know, he needs to have connections with people that are not conspiracy based. So anyway, Aaron went to this guy's house and this guy has like a dartboard and table, tennis table and pool table and had invited a whole bunch of guys over so they had drinks. Anyway, Aaron didn't get home until ten am the next morning, and I was thinking, Wow, that's like, that's a bloody good night. But I was also really happy, like it didn't bother me that he came home at that time. I was actually happy because I thought he must have had a really good night with all of the boys in town. But he was really really quiet and just wanted to go to bed and wouldn't talk about the night or anything else.
Speaker 3: And I said to him, I'm not upset that you went out. I think it's really good, and he goes, yeah, yeah, I just you know, I just don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: About two weeks later, I get a text message from the guy who's had the party at the house and he said, I need to talk to you urgently. And I said, okay, what is everything okay? And he said, no, not really. Can you come and meet me for a coffee. So the next day I went and met him for a coffee in town with him and his wife, And at that time, I kind of thought, oh gosh, something happened at the kids' school because the kids were friends, so these were actually our friends in town, and I thought something had happened with the kids, maybe they'd had a fight at school or something. So, you know, I was preparing myself for that. But I walk into this coffee shop and there he is with his wife, and his wife is hysterical crying, and I was just saying, Oh my god, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 1: Remember the night of the party when Aaron didn't get home until ten am, Well, that night he crossed a line that can't be uncrossed. An allegation of assault was made, and for Ava, that changed everything.
Speaker 2: Well, I nearly dropped my cappuccino and just absolutely burst into two And they're like, we're so sorry.
Speaker 3: We know what you've been going through with him.
Speaker 2: We know you're really struggling with him at the moment with a lot of stuff going on, and we just didn't want to have to add to your problems. So I came home and Aaron was sitting on the balcony and said to me, where have you been? And I said, pack your bags, you've got ten minutes. I knew that the marriage was over. There was no doubt that I was going to have to walk away from that. All of that strength and everything that I was lacking previously just came over me.
Speaker 3: I had this.
Speaker 2: Overwhelming feeling of I didn't even hesitate. There was no fighting, there was no yelling, there was no screaming. It was just pack your stuff and get out. So that was really difficult for me because I wanted him to fight for me, and he didn't. He literally packed his stuff and walked out in ten minutes. And I'm thinking, that's ten years of marriage just literally down the gurgle. And I have stuck by you through your most difficult time, through hoping that you would eventually change, and you're just not even sticking by me. Just the value of marriage for him was just no longer. He just didn't care.
Speaker 3: To him, it was just.
Speaker 2: Another institution that he was stuck in, along with governments and banks and paying taxes, and marriage to him was just another institution.
Speaker 3: And so my marriage went.
Speaker 2: From this amazing, wonderful, most beautiful love story to being over in literally ten minutes. I always knew the first day was going to be the worst. And for any of my friends that have separated since I have, I always say to them day one is the worst, and it is. I just gave myself space to be in the fetal position and cry and grief. I could finally get to that point of the grief cycle, that acceptance.
Speaker 3: This is it now and this has happened, and I'm going to be okay.
Speaker 2: I've got you know, amazing people around you know, I might even have an easier life.
Speaker 3: That's what my hope was.
Speaker 2: It was the week of my fortieth and I was having a huge party at my house with like one hundred people coming with a DJ and everything. We lived on five acres, so I was having a huge, big party. Aaron had said to me, I, well, you going to cancel the party And I said, no, I'm just going to cancel. You coming to it, And I said, I've got people flying in into state, I've got DJ, I've got catering.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not canceling it.
Speaker 2: So I actually sent out a text message to everyone and said, look, this has happened. Aaron and I a broken up, but I'm still in the space to celebrate a new decade. That's about to begin. It's going to be a very different looking decade. I want you all to be here. If you feel uncomfortable, I'm okay if you don't come, but when you do come, you're.
Speaker 3: Not to talk about it at all.
Speaker 2: And I rang my friend Ben, who was coming to the party, and I said, bring a pair of bolt cutters. He said why, and I said, We're going to go into that shed. I had the best freaking night. It was a really really good night. Yeah, we did speeches and it was amazing. Had the best night. And because I lived on property, a lot of people bought their caravans and swags and tents and things. And in the morning when we woke up, because Ben was there with his caravan, we were all sitting around having breakfast outside and he went down to the van and came back to the breakfast table and he's like, what do you want these bolt cutters for? And I'm like, all right, everyone there was eleven of us. Let's go, We're going to the shed. Everyone was so excited because everyone had heard about this shed for years and no one knew what was in there. So we were like, let's go. We race up to the back of the property. Ben gets the bolt cutters, snaps off the lock. We throw the doors open, and oh, my gosh, well, the first thing I saw was a big pentagon painted onto.
Speaker 3: The concrete slab.
Speaker 2: There were all these black drap curtains and piles of his magic books. There was the diary that we got stuck into and read. There was a tree of life with all pictures of our dead relatives hanging off this tree of life, like he'd gone and got photos printed of them to hang off this tree. There was the wand there was all these like mixing glasses. It was like he had been making potions and things like that. It was just absolutely creepy. We all went through his stuff and just could not be I just could not believe what I was seeing. We're even reading through his diary and he's predicting everybody's death, and one girl who was with us at the time, he had predicted her death, which was like two weeks down the track, and so we were just like, this is ridiculous. In the diary, he was even referring to himself as a completely different name, like this Latin name.
Speaker 3: So yeah, things started.
Speaker 2: To get really really bizarre, And again I was filled with shame and embarrassment. There was eleven of my friends there, you know, unbolting the door and seeing this really creepy random space.
Speaker 1: Ava needed to not only get out, but away from whatever this was. After a decade with three children in toe, she packed everything and moved back to the city she'd originally come from. But as she did so, Aaron still had one more blow to deliver. While Ava had come to terms with the fact she'd never understand why he'd become like this, she did have one more question. Did he still love her?
Speaker 2: He was of the mindset that you only have one true love. He would label me as his life creator partner, and then eventually he'll meet his twin flame. He had this whole plan of you were just here to make babies. You're here because you're my obsession, and I will eventually meet my twin flame who I'll spend the rest of my life with. I rang his mum and I said, you've got to go and scoop him up and take him home, like he needs protecting. He's doing some really stupid things that are dangerous and abnormal, and you guys need to help him. And I said, he's not stapping out of it. Let's just be clear about that. It's been three years that we've put up with this crap. As his parents, you need to go and scoop him up and take him home and make sure he gets the support he needs. So they ended up doing that, but he was still never admitted into any hospital or didn't get any treatment or anything.
Speaker 3: He just.
Speaker 2: Sold our house and then packed up and moved to the city I was in so he could continue to see the kids. But there was a stage there where I had to really reconcile whether I wanted him to see the kids and.
Speaker 3: Whether that was a good idea or were they at risk.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there was quite a period of time there where I'm like, you need to prove that you're sane and able and stable enough to.
Speaker 3: Have them.
Speaker 2: It was very difficult to work out whether I was making the right decision. I didn't trust my own decisions at the time, and through my separation and divorce, that's been probably the number one thing that I've struggled dealing with, is trusting your own emotions and trusting your own decisions.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I thought I'd just I'm going to have to give it a try.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to have to leave it up to the kidskids as well, they were you know, they were getting older, as long as I gave them phones where they were able to contact me if they needed it. Just started with you know, maybe spending going out for dinner, spending one night, and then it went to two nights every second weekend. The therapy that I seeked at the start was how am I going to co parent with someone that.
Speaker 3: I absolutely hate, absolutely hate?
Speaker 2: And again the grief as well, like trying to unpack and process that, how am I going to co parent with someone that I'm also grieving but I absolutely hate? But then it went to how am I going to co parent with someone that I feel so sorry for? Like I'm just like, oh my god, at what point in your life did you think that all of this was a good idea? So that's where I knew that I was getting better, because I had turned that you know, low self esteem and low self worth and everything into I actually feel sorry for you. What a terrible life you've led and what a trail of destruction you've left behind, And how can you even get to that point? Like you've had no one to share or support you or protect you or anything. You've just had to navigate that whole dump fire like an absolute shit show on your own because you just wouldn't let anyone in and you thought what you were doing was the right thing.
Speaker 3: I just think it's a really lonely existence.
Speaker 2: I may ears down the track of separation now, and it probably took a good couple of years of me having to unpack what the hell happened, and.
Speaker 3: You know, seek lots of therapy about my self esteem and my worth and my value.
Speaker 2: I have had conversations with him since saying well, did you ever really love me? And he's like, I absolutely did, I really really loved you. And yeah, he's apologized since for taking me on him his journey which was.
Speaker 3: Not a part of mine.
Speaker 2: So still at times it is very hard to reconcile, and I've just got to be It's like something that's happened to me and it doesn't actually define me. It's just a really bizarre experience that I've had in.
Speaker 3: You know, this thing we call life.
Speaker 2: Now, we actually have the most beautiful relationship.
Speaker 3: It's taken a lot of work. We communicate.
Speaker 2: He consistently messages me and tells me you know what a beautiful job I'm doing of raising our kids, and he has the kids. Often when he's down and visiting in our town, we all go out for dinner together.
Speaker 3: Still to this day, he does random things.
Speaker 2: But I think I'm able to reconcile it a little bit more because I know he wasn't going to snap out of it, and this is who he's become, and this is the life he wants to lead, and I just have to be accepting if that. Otherwise, resentment does eat you up as a And now he has completely gone down the spiritual path, and I kind of believe that. You know, it's like some people will join a church when they've done something really terrible, they will join a church and try and find faith that way, or you know, you get people that go into the prison system and become religious to try and reconcile what they've done. I think he's gone down that spiritual path to really try and understand or forgive himself and have a reason for why he did what he did. So he's really into astrology, past life regression, quantum healing, all of the reiki. So he's gone from this beer guzzling trade to this absolute spiritual guru really into astrology. So sometimes he'll say, avy, you're not communicating very well, and it's because mercury.
Speaker 3: Is in retrograde.
Speaker 2: And I'll be like, well, you know, you're an asshole because satin is conjunct uranus. Still, I have to use humor. Like, even when I'm spending time with him, I just I just feel I just feel sorry for him. I can't I can't feel anything else anymore, that all those other emotions have gone, and I just need to channel the sadness that he's probably carrying with him.
Speaker 3: He's got a new partner.
Speaker 2: Actually he's had a few new partners, but this one is solid, I think, and they're engaged and they've bought a house. But it's just bizarre that the whole institution that he was so against, he's now gotten back into it. So for me, that's been a little hard to reconcile that he was so anti marriage and you know, he's gone to do it all again. So that's something that I'm currently working on. I take from this whole experience that you have to learn the art of forgiveness and that everybody is on their own journey. And what upsets me the most about my whole story is that he's taken me on one of the biggest.
Speaker 3: Journeys I've ever I've ever heard of, you know, from anyone. You know.
Speaker 2: This was not a normal marriage breakdown of you know, I've fallen in love with someone else, or you know, infidelity or gambling or drugs or whatever. So I've I've had to learn the art of forgiveness, and in the past, I've never been a huge person to really channel that, so that's taken a lot of work. And I just can't be angry because I lived with anger for you know, the first couple of years, and it's just not good for you. It's not good for your health, it's not good for your work, it's not good You're not a nice.
Speaker 3: Person to be around, it's not good for the kids.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I started to see the effect that that was having, and I just I think I literally woke up one day and said, I'm not living like this anymore.
Speaker 3: I can't. I literally can't do it.
Speaker 2: So I've managed to, yeah, be able to move on and have a really really good life. I have, like I said, the most amazing group of women around me, really amazing group of friends, Yeah, good family, and I.
Speaker 3: Travel a lot.
Speaker 2: I've got a really really good job, and I've been in my job for a really long time, and I'm very well looked after, and I've managed to buy my own house, and yeah, set up life for the boys and I really really well, and yeah, I would consider that I'm thriving. Probably one of the things that's made it very, very difficult for me to have.
Speaker 3: A relationship again.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm just very scared of, you know, falling in love again and someone else taking me on this massive, huge rollercoaster ride. Hopefully, one day we'll be able to, you know, work out that I'm worthy and does erv love, and yeah, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: I've got a lot of love to give.
Speaker 2: I'm just not ready to give it yet, but I think I'll eventually get there. Not everyone had a love life, so I guess I've got to be grateful that. You know, some people go through their life never having love, and you know what a terrible.
Speaker 3: Lonely existence that would be.
Speaker 2: So I kind of think I got to I got to have it for you know, an amazing eight years. My hope for him is that he is just settled and I always said to him, you know, you're you're constantly asking the why about life?
Speaker 3: Why are we here?
Speaker 2: We can't just be here to get married, have children, have the white picket fence. There has to be more to life. So he's like, what's our role on this planet? And I really hope that one day he finds the answer that he's been looking for.
Speaker 1: Everyone Has and X is a Minti Media production and proudly part of the Mum.
Speaker 3: And mea Network.
Speaker 1: This episode is written and narrated by me Georgia Love, produced by Linda Scott. If you have a story you'd like to share, email podcast app Momameia dot com dot a. You You can support us by following the show in your favorite podcast app and leaving us a five star review