Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mom and Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: I am pregnant.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Hello Bump.
Speaker 2: We're making pregnancy less overwhelming and more manageable.
Speaker 4: I'm Grace River.
Speaker 2: I'm pregnant for the first time, and my bump is now noticeable.
Speaker 4: I think definitely to me, and.
Speaker 1: I'm out of Himan.
Speaker 3: I'm a former olympian, and I'm a mother of six, and I'm now training to be an obstrician, so.
Speaker 1: I get to deliver your babies. It's very, very cool.
Speaker 2: Each episode, Deanna and I will be holding your hand week by week through the mysterious, perplexing, and sometimes bumpy miracle that is pregnancy.
Speaker 4: Week fifteen, Yanna, what size is our baby? Are we still a fruit? Are we in the orchard still?
Speaker 3: I mean, I can call it a pair because that's what I've got written down here, But we can change to pringles if you like.
Speaker 1: A small cat of pringles is avertising.
Speaker 4: That feels more on brand for what I'm consuming, or a.
Speaker 1: Whiskey glass not what you should be consuming.
Speaker 4: I've got a cassette mixtape because love, that's the size of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, if you want to picture it yourself though, you can actually hold your fist up, so it's actually around similar sizing your fist, huh, like the size of a uterus.
Speaker 4: So, and how have they grown this week?
Speaker 3: Importantly this week babies bones in their ears are starting to develop, so they might start soon being out of here. Now that's when when you say here people, Oh, does that mean they can hear my voice? No, they can hear what's going on inside your uterus, which is not much blood flow, beatn vibration, vibrations. Yeah, so there's not you know, soon they will be out here more and more and more and more. But at this point they're at least starting to work and their little body is now starting to catch the size of their head. So I don't know if you remember from the olt they've done. Yeah, we're starting to look again more human like.
Speaker 2: And they're still but they're quite curled up still still curls have an unfilled yet love it No, not yet, soon soon soon?
Speaker 4: What hap? What's happening to me? And what is happening with our body?
Speaker 3: Well, you know how we talked about that hot glow? It should be coming more now. So this is the time most women feel the best in their pregnancy because most of the nausea is sort of reducing for most I know that there's I know there's people shaking their heads at me right now and going, that's a load of grape yarn because I feel terrible. But for the vast majority, that should be improving. You should be feeling a bit more energized, and that pregnancy glow should be coming in a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Is this normal? Is normal?
Speaker 2: Does everyone get the like your hair stop shedding? Is that everyone in pregnancy or.
Speaker 3: Most people, most of us say they're thickened through that and then they have that horrible Please be prepared after birth. Your your pillow is covered in hairs. All that lovely volume you're now creating very promptly decides.
Speaker 1: To fall out when you're when you're postpartum.
Speaker 2: And most women find that quite overwhelming because it does feel like they're boarding. But ideally we shed what one hundred hairs a day, and you're just not shodding much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I remember it was clumps you brush your hair and looked like half my head was coming off, And I was better of and for some It actually does have sort of an alopecius sort of picture where they do lose so much you can notice it. But you know, hopefully you're home bonding with your baby through that period, but you'll also notice and when we're getting ahead of OURSELVESI but a lot of new growth as well of hair in pregnancy and then that postpart and once it's fallen out, you'll get a lot of that new short hair, nice healthy hair to come back again.
Speaker 4: It's like everything is terrible, everything is normal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well your nails get really nice and strong now, so they usually get lots longer and stronger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got that. I do have.
Speaker 2: I want to know about food, coffee, tea. I'm not a massive coffee person anyway, because it affects me quite in an anxious way. But in terms of tea, like I look up how many cups of tea can I have? The Internet says only two hundred milligrams of caffeine, And then I was like, oh, but a cup is like two hundred and fifty milligrams, but that's not a full cup of caffeine. Like, what's the breakdown of coffee and tea and how many you can have and.
Speaker 3: Look, I remember this is all guidelines and it's really interesting because the rams, which the college I am starting under, will give you very specific do not eat soft cheeses, eat, do not drink coffee, stop your alcohol, because that's what the guidelines say, The guidelines and the research says, don't have these things because we know it can have well actually it's what we don't know it does to the baby, So it could have a potential what we call triatogenic, which means problem for the baby and cause problems with its growth or its brain development. So the restrictions of the guidelines are there to guide you on what you do. We also live in different countries like for example, soft cheeses. In Australia, all of our cheese, if you buy it from Allies, for example, is pasteurize. You can actually turn the cheese over and you can see that it says pasteurized milk. And that was the main concern in the past is that the processing of that cheese wasn't safe enough that salmonella, for example, one of the biggest concerns we have, could be in the cheese. You subsequently eat it and then it could cause pretty catastrophic problems for the pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Caffeine. As you said, maximum two hundred. You have done your research.
Speaker 3: But a shot, for example, only has eighty milligrams of caffeine in it, So theoretically you could have two shots of.
Speaker 1: Little tiny shots of coffee and you'd be okay.
Speaker 3: Tea varies, black cheese can be sometimes eighty. Sometimes there are only fifteen or extme millograms, so it kind of depends what you're taking. Weirdly, instant coffee can have up to one hundred and fifty milligrams of caffeine, so I would have thought, yeah, I would have thought, like a shot from the cop like from barrista, is going to have more.
Speaker 1: It depends.
Speaker 3: So the hard part is I think, if you limit yourself to one coffee a day because you like it and it helps your mood and you feel nice, go for it. But again, guys, that's just me. If you're obstetrition or someone has specifically said stay away from it things for example, if you have a racing heart and or a reason why you might want want to have your coffee, then don't. But remember these are all guidelines. There's heaps of great resources online. My college has a good one. You go on Raandsco. They've got lots of options for pregnancy to have a look at, and you decide what's right for you. And I bet your obstetrican will be different from the one on there, because mine said eat whatever you watch like.
Speaker 1: He was so, yeah, he was so.
Speaker 3: He'd been an obstrition for thirty forty years, my first one. And he's like, I don't care about eating cheeses. You can eat your eggs, just don't eat raw fish.
Speaker 2: I'm like, on this same train of thought, why are baths like illegal.
Speaker 1: Overheating?
Speaker 3: So your a little one inside can't regulate its own body temperature. It relies on you to do that. So you feel nice and hot and warm and really enjoy the hot, hot bath, and they just get too hot inside. And you know, it's basically if you can imagine if you set yourself in the sun and basically didn't have an ability to get out of that heat. And so we say, look, lukewarm, bards are usually so hot. Showers are fine, but just keep an eye on your temperature. I might share a little anecdote here. So I was training through the Olympics for my first pregnancy, running very hard and we use rectoral temperature because we knew that was close to the training, so I would train. I didn't even monitor my heart beat, which is what a lot of athletes did. I actually monitored my internal body temperature, which is disgusting and growth, but it allowed me to actually make sure I wasn't overheating. So we'd check oral and rectoral temperature to make sure my body wasn't overheating. That's how important temperature is to the growing baby.
Speaker 4: Is the ten minute rule a safe for all?
Speaker 2: My little anecdote is that I did go to Japan, yeah, in my second trimester, and there's Onsen's there, and I did go in them for ten minutes, and then I came out after that because of not because I was like, the Internet told me that it's okay, it's Google. I know now I feel like I'm confessing to you, but that is a time limit safe.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm probably not experienced enough to be able to I haven't done research in that space, but to me, just as a mother to you, I can't see how that'd be a concern because ten minutes is not going to give time for everything to heat up. And I mean I've reason to be in Japan as well, and the on sense were lovely and warm, but they weren't boiling hot. I didn't get out your skin's nott red, So he's one of the things to look at. Ten minutes is such a short period of time. And if it was Japan in December, you then go out in the cold, so I think you probably reregulated your body temperature pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I came out and I was like, I've had showers hotter than that. It's fine. I remember all those.
Speaker 3: People that didn't even know they were pregnant this stage, we're all having hot barts.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think we need to just give ourselves a little bit of a bloke.
Speaker 2: There lots of doos and dons. But speaking of doos and dons, what can we do.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think at this point is a wonderful time to engage in a pregnancy massage. On that note, you love your feet massages, but a nice professional one outside of the home who specializes in pregnancy you can also be really good for that aching back that's like starting to start kicking in soon too a little bit.
Speaker 4: My key take, that's a great one.
Speaker 2: My toolkit for this week is putting vitamins into a smoothie.
Speaker 4: Yes, so you don't have to.
Speaker 2: Swallow them sometimes if it depending on if your gag reflex, whatever is happening to you. But also mixing that with a bit of protein powder so you're staying full for longer.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine not having had high premises like you. I can't imagine when those pills regurgitate on you, because I don't like that at the best of time, learn if you feel nauseous. So I think that's that's a lovely takeaway. Yeah, yeah, I'll give that to some.
Speaker 1: Of my patients.
Speaker 2: We hope you enjoyed this episode of Hello Bump.
Speaker 4: We have so many.
Speaker 2: Episodes of this series filled with tips and stories from women and experts who've been through it all before.
Speaker 3: You can go back and listen to everything else Hello bub related in this podcast feed.
Speaker 2: And while you're there, we'd love if you could give us a flying star rating and maybe leave us a review or even share this episode with a friend.
Speaker 3: This episode was produced by Courtney Ammenhauser with audio production by Tom Lyon.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you next time. Bye.
Speaker 2: This episode of Hello Bump was made in partnership with Huggies