Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom with mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Parenting out Loud. This is the podcast where we don't actually tell you how to parent. We figure that there's probably enough places that do that. We instead talk about parenting in the culture. We read all the parenting news and the trends and the advice and the things that happen on the internet so that you don't have to and then we bring it to you on a platter and try and make sense of it. So Welcome parents, Welcome friends, Welcome parents and friends. Committee to Parenting out Loud.
Speaker 3: I'm Monice Bowley, I'm Claire Stevens filling in for Emelia Lester.
Speaker 1: And I'm Stacy Hicks. Hi Claire.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, nice to have you. Claire, I'm so excited to be here. I love just banging down the door and getting out loud. It's so fun.
Speaker 1: Is this because you're pregnant so you just want to be here to use us for any of your questions.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, guys, like, when I'm doing out Loud, I'm like, if I'm honest, all I'm really thinking about is my toddler, Like twenty fours, which is an interesting to everyone.
Speaker 2: It is to us, come and nest with us. We're very welcome here. How many weeks pragante are you?
Speaker 3: I'm twenty four weeks, which it's not far enough along for my liking, but it is over halfway. But I remember from last time, between twenty and thirty weeks is a it's a long road. It goes on forever, and then after thirty weeks you're a little bit. Things are so dire that time speeds up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh well, welcome, so good to have you all right? Coming up on today's show, what are you bringing us?
Speaker 1: Claire?
Speaker 3: Has anyone ever called your kid bad? The reframe we need is here.
Speaker 1: And the sibling effect trend is the trend that I would like to go away forever. Please, I will tell you why.
Speaker 2: And an eleven year old just a pretty hard life lesson from a celebrity. I want to talk about how do you prepare kids for when life and people suck? But first, the biggest video in my feed this week was a basketball coach screaming in her player's face. Have you guys seen this?
Speaker 3: I've seen, yes, I've seen some of it. I haven't seen all of the context around it, so I need you to explain.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is everywhere, right, Like I watched this on a loop. When you send this to me, I know I couldn't stop.
Speaker 2: It had thirty million views. I think twenty nine million on mine. It was at a college basketball game in America. So Maryland college basketball coach Brenda Freeze mid game. This is an NCAA game, college basketball game, lots of pressure. She gets her star player, Aluchi Okanawa, and she serves up what looks like this massive spray, like she's right in her face, she's locking eyes with her and she is just screaming. And what she says is so I was like, right, I need someone to lip read this for me. What is this? Because it looks really intense and aggressive. What she says is, I need you to lock in stop being distracted. I believe in you, but you've got to want this moment.
Speaker 1: This isn't my story or right.
Speaker 3: Right an American accent.
Speaker 2: I just gave myself goosebumps. So people saw this and immediately split into two camps, which one was I would run through a brick wall after this for this coach. The other camp was, you cannot speak to people like that, but I wanted to talk about it with you both today because I loved it for two reasons. Number one is that in a world where you're told always to parent in a gentle way, in a very encouraging way, in a loving way, to see a moment where someone is being pushed hard like this, I was like, holy shit. I think that's why I went back and watched it again and again, because it's not something we see that much. And the second reason I loved it was for what the player said afterwards. So in the presser, Okanawa said, this.
Speaker 4: Coach understands I'm a competitor at heart, and I love to be coach, and that's what she does with me every single day. And really what that was was a regroup moment for myself and her telling me she believed in me, because sometimes that's really all you need to hear.
Speaker 2: I'm so obsessed with this. I think the reason I'm so obsessed is because I feel like the dominant narrative with kids these days. And look, Akanawa is twenty two. She's not a kid, but she's Gen Z and every criticism of Gen Z's and Gen Alpha's and every generation after millennials is that they're soft, they can't take feedback, they're fragile, they've been overparented, and this is just not that. And I just loved what the coach did and I loved what she did, and I love it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really I found it confronting when I watched it for the first time. I was like, I would want to kill that woman if she was speaking to my kid that way. Like, but and you know, famously I'm terrible at sport. I could not be yelled at like that and then get out there and do a great performance. I would just want to be told I'm wonderful and that everything I'm doing is great. But I think that's the distinction is she's not getting yelled at. It's motivational, and it's like sometimes it does need to be a bit more aggressive, Like we're so used to speaking to everyone in a gentle, calm voice and sometimes just a bit of like up in your grill motivational words would actually do the trick.
Speaker 3: I love that it's two women, like because I feel like you do see this, Like even from watching some of the F one stuff, you kind of sometimes you can see men really get into this with each other, and that there's no you know that, it's not you know, anybody attacking each other. It's about really seizing the moment and this is the one opportunity and so you've got.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 3: And I love seeing two women do that and the fact that it's not it's not anger, it's not I'm this. I'm a very sensitive person, and I know that there are certain points in my life where I would not have been able to take that, yeah, corner in the corner. But then I think about it and I think, if somebody would have believe in me that much, that means a lot, and that is often a sign post of your potential, and that's really exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Maggie Dent always talks about lighthouse figures right where you have in your life, you have your parents, and then you also need a range of lighthouse figures around you that can kind of believe in you. And that was just such a great example of that.
Speaker 3: In case you missed it, actress Viola Davis, who you'd probably know from her roles in The Help and How to Get Away with Murder and Doubt and a million other things, was recently again on Amy Pola's podcast Good Hang, and there's a viral clip from the show where Viola Davis says she loves a bad kid.
Speaker 5: I love a bad kid, like a two year old bad kid, someone who comes, you know. I had a little bad kid at my wedded who stuck his whole finger in my cake.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: I thought it was the best thing in the world. So I love a bad kid. Listen, the world is going to get at you. It's going to kick your ass, just leave you in the dumpster. So it's really great when you go out in the world and you have the hootspu. Yes you have that self possession right, Yes, that's what I want with my kid.
Speaker 3: I was completely obsessed with this take because I think it points to a few things one Viola Davis like, I think she didn't even realize how powerful what she was saying was, because it was really about tolerance and the importance of our attitude towards kids in public, Like kids are going to do inconvenient things, and we should be a whole lot more tolerant and understanding. I often think that when kids are acting up or there's often there's discussions about, you know, how empathetic or how patient you should be with somebody else's kids. It's not even about whether you have kids, whether there are kids in your life. It's that we were all kids once, and we were all that kid and the fact that the world isn't built for kids makes us less patient and less accepting and more willing to jump down their throats when they do something like that. So if I had in my head walking around that there are people like Viola Davis who says, I love that that kid has just funny vibes, then it would make me feel a lot more safe as a parent. The other thing I took away from it is that the kid who does that is not a bad kid, especially at two, like in Viola Davis's example, you look at a kid like that and you go, it's not that you're bad. And this is what clinical psychologist doctor Becky said when she stitched that on TikTok. She said, there are no bad kids. You can have a good kid who's impulsive and a good kid who needs boundaries. And I absolutely love that reframing. And it's just I look at my two year old and I think you don't have the cognitive ability to be bad, even if you wanted to everything you do is because you have no skills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if he doesn't want to stick their finger in a cake, you know, it is an intrusive thought. It's just that kids let that win. And I loved that this was rebranded as you know, we just need to see that as entertaining, not as misbehavior. It's the same as kind of when they swear you can either be aghast at this or you can just go it's pretty funny, especially when it's not your own kid.
Speaker 3: And it's very true that it's self fulfilling, like I can see if you looked at your kid doing I was out in public yesterday, and if anybody saw me out in public, they would have thought she's got a bad kid. Because Matilda, in her defense, she is sick. She's going through a lot, and she was just running through Woolworths, refusing to get in her pram and like screaming absolute tantrum and grabbing things off the shelves. It was just a nightmare. But in my head, and even in that situation, I don't really react to it because as a parent, you've got so much empathy for what your kid is going through and that she generally is incredibly well behaved, and it was just one of those days. But I do like the thought. And sometimes it can just be like a little smile from somebody that you pass or Matilda was then crying in her pram and a man in front of us just kept kind of pulling funny faces, and I thought, God, that just makes you feel so much better as a parent that people respect that your kid is worthy of dignity and respec It's just that they're going through some things today.
Speaker 2: So I don't disagree, Like I agree with everything you're saying. Adults probably need to be more tolerant. This is often like developmentally appropriate for their age. But what if the person sticking their hand in the cake is a five year old or a seven year old? Does that change it? Like, I think we have a lot of tolerance for toddlers because they're still learning their way through the world, they're having a lot of big feelings, But what if it's an older kid, Like, where do you draw the line?
Speaker 3: I know, And the tricky thing is you don't know where they're at developmentally behavior wise, what kind of challenges they might be having. You can't tell all of that from the outside, but at the same time, yeah, it would be disingenuous to pretend that we're not sometimes very frustrated by kids in public, and that if a kid comes up to my kid in the playground and hits her because he wants to use the and he's seven, I'm like, well that was that? Yeah, yeah, but I yeah, I agree, Like it's a it's kind of a vague line of where you draw that based on what you can see from the outside.
Speaker 2: There are also social norms, right, Like, you can't you can't have kids that just do whatever they want for the rest of their life, because what are they going to be like when they're in the workplace? What are they going to be like in social situations? Like I think the principle of the idea is really great, but in practice, I think there's a line of like, well, actually, that's just bad manners.
Speaker 1: But maybe this isn't about not stopping the behavior. You absolutely should stop the behavior, but it's kind of about embracing it for what it is at the time, which is like, yeah, he shouldn't have stuck his finger in the cake, but it's kind of funny that he did, and we can just kind of laugh about that, especially when it's not your own kid doing it, it is even funnier.
Speaker 3: And maybe also being sensitive to those situations that aren't kid friendly to begin with, Like, yeah, you think about a wedding, and this is why I'm all for child free weddings, because what's a kid gonna do at a wedding? They're gonna stick a finger in the cave. Like kids behave a lot better in situations that are actually designed for them, as opposed to like sit down at this fancy restaurant and don't disturb anyone. Well, they're going to do something stupid because they're a child.
Speaker 2: I need to relax my noose. By the sounds of it, I'm like the stern mother.
Speaker 3: You're so right.
Speaker 2: You might have seen a prickly little celebrity story around the chaps this week, and I want to talk about it. I know they talked about it on Mamma Mia out Loud this earlier this week, but we're sitting at the parents table here and I think there's more to unpack. It was when an eleven year old encountered a celebrity, and that celeb was Chapel Roan. Is that right?
Speaker 1: High saying i did it right. Has been calling her Chappelle, bro Chapelle, every different variation, but you nailed it on, thank you.
Speaker 2: So she's huge right now to everyone except for me, very adored. She's staying in a hotel right This eleven year old spots her at breakfast, and yet's excited, because what do you do when you're eleven and you see a celebrity, You do get excited. But the eleven year old.
Speaker 1: Even when you're not eleven. I'm sorry. If I saw Taylor Swift and I was at breakfast, I would absolutely do.
Speaker 3: A little drive par nosy. I can't help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. There was no approach, there was no autograph or selfie moment. It's this was very much just admire from a distance, walk past the table. Yep, it's her. How exciting. Let's get back to our breakfast.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: What happens next is that security steps in and essentially tells this kid off and threatens them and allegedly harasses them. Now it happens that the eleven year old is the step daughter of a very famous soccer player. It's also the daughter of Judelaw, a very famous celebrity. Her step father Georginiao has four point nine million Instagram followers. He is not happy at this point. He's eleven year old stepdaughter has been harassed security guard, and so he wrote on his Instagram this takedown of Chappelle, Chapel and Chapel saying without your fans, you would be nothing and to the fans, she does not deserve your attention. FYI. For the record, Chapel said she didn't do it and she doesn't hate kids. I think the reason this has gone wild is because it's eleven year old girl at the center of it, right, And at eleven years old, you're still in that place where adults smile at you and the world's pretty soft towards you, and you haven't kind of had that gut punch slap in the face. People can be a bit shit moment yet, so a moment like this is kind of a huge parenting deal for a number of reasons. But I wanted to talk about it today because I think we spend a lot of years teaching our kids to be friendly and open and polite and make eye contact and engage and don't be rude, don't stick your hand in a cake, and then they do all of that, and then they have this moment, this moment is going to come in their life where people are dicks to them, Like the world is really harsh. So when something like this happens to your kid, do you step in and protect them or do you tell them the truth like, yeah, the world's really hard.
Speaker 1: Like what do you do?
Speaker 2: How do you prepare them?
Speaker 3: I had not because I had followed this story really closely, and I had not for a second thought about the parenting perspective. I thought about, what if you were Chapel Roone and a rogue security guard does something and you're accountable for it. I did think about putting somebody on blast to four point nine million followers and the ethics of that. But as soon as you brought this up Mon's, I was like, Oh, that is such a toxic thing to teach a kid that if somebody doesn't pander to you, that if you're embarrassed. Maybe the security guard came over and the eleven year old felt embarrassed, the whole family felt embarrassed that you are then entitled to publicly shame and humiliate another person. That is such a dangerous thing to teach a kid, and the fame thing is really like seeing somebody out in public and feeling like you should be able to go up to them and engage with them. I think phones have really done that that. Yeah, an eleven year old would think, but that's Chapel Roone and she's in my phone and where friends and I listen to. I listened to all her music. I think it's really important to explain to a kid, no, that's actually a human being who's having her breakfast and we don't know what her experience is like, we don't know what her day is like. And generally, if somebody behaves badly towards you, it's probably a really good idea as a parent to try and express what that person's worldview could be that, oh, well, we actually know that Chapel Rome really struggles with people coming up to her, and she really struggles with fame, and she has some struggles with her mental health, and she's talked about that and blah blah blah, Like, yes, I know that's a very kind of evolved thing to do, but it would probably be the ideal.
Speaker 1: But I guess the other option is so in that circumstance where their daughter's kind of getting this heavy life lesson of like something didn't go your way and someone was a jerk to you. Yes, you can say, oh, but we rise above that and we you know, we're kind. We never do that. But the other angle, and I guess something that we do have to teach our kids at some point is that like, if something happens to you, do not have to take it lying down all the time. And yes, you know, we're not in a position where we'd be blasting it to five million people. I don't agree with doing that, but it's definitely a potential thing. And it was interesting that both parents did this, So the stepfather did this and her mother also kind of went on a lengthy doubled down, Yeah, doubled down and was like, no, we did this for a reason. We stand by what we did, and it's kind of teaching your child that, yeah, like we're teaching you to be kind, but there might be circumstances that call for you to stand up for yourself. And is this not that or is this an example of kind of snowplow parenting where you're just like, well, you will get your way no matter what, and I will help you get that. It's a really interesting like fight between the two.
Speaker 3: Because I reckon, this is snowplow parenting. Yeah, I think there is. We had a bit of a similar situation. I was at the chie you saw Chapel Roade, Oh yeah, yeah, exactly the same. We were at the children's hospital with Matilda and a lot of other sick kids and one of the Wiggles was there. I won't I'd say which one in case it gives away the kind of area he lives in or whatever. But one of the Wiggles was there and I loved him.
Speaker 2: Was that the purple one? Tell me the hot purple? It was one that all the mom's are fer. Was it the tree of Life?
Speaker 3: And it wasn't, but it was a very recognizable wiggle. And my first thought when I saw him was that poor poor man, he is here with his sick child and every kid in this waiting.
Speaker 2: He wasn't dressed as the wiggle. No, he was in nine City.
Speaker 3: No, he was being himself. He was being a dad gives off, yes off judy wigs and so he is there with his sick kid, and I thought, oh, imagine, you've been told there was like a seven hour wait. It was just the worst time to be in the children's hospital, and I thought, oh god, imagine you're sitting there being like, oh god, my kid's screaming and everybody's sick, and every kid in that room is looking at him being like can I get a picture? Like and I just thought, I was like, that's a really important lesson to say to your kid. I know that he's on our television and we love him unconditionally and we talk about him most days, but he is in his own situation and you need to shut the hell up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that I'd recognize a Wiggle without the clothes off really say how deep? How deep are you?
Speaker 1: And Wiggles?
Speaker 2: Oh man, you would know that.
Speaker 3: We go through the names of the Wiggles every evening. We like, we are obsessed. Even people who slightly look like Wiggles. My daughter loses it. So no, we're very familiar.
Speaker 1: This was probably a very good example of getting a no and not getting what you want, which is probably what this eleven year old might have needed as well.
Speaker 2: Hang on, hang on. She didn't approach Chapel, she didn't ask for the autographer selfie, she didn't interrupt her. In fact, Chapel says, I ever even remember seeing this girl, and I certainly didn't interact with her. This is like I think we're getting we're getting away from the central point, which is like there is always this rugpool moment for kids in life when it's like you're not the center of the universe.
Speaker 3: Anything for everyone.
Speaker 2: Remember that moment as a kid, I remember the moment, do you.
Speaker 3: I think it came bloody early because I was a twin so I was never I never had the world. According to me, everything was compromised, and I think my parents were pretty were pretty good at that. But and I think maybe that's why I'm a little bit brutal on this, and I'm a little bit critical of the way those parents responded.
Speaker 1: What was yours? Mon's what did that for you?
Speaker 2: I had a teacher say to me, you're never gonna amount to anything, and you're never going to Yeah, you're never gonna a mount to anything, and you're never gonna play basketball for anyone or be anything. And yeah, my parents greatly upset me at the time. And my parents are really pragmatic about it. I remember them being like, well, yeah, so what are you going to do about it? Like not going to the school and knocking on the door and saying, how dare you not writing a letter to the principles. They put it back on me, Well, yeah, life's hard. People say shit, so what are you going to do? And like, I used that little tidbit. I used that moment for like ten years to motivate me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a really interesting framing that it's like, we don't it's almost like not about them, like this this is the world. The world can be cruel and unfair and people won't see you for your beautiful light in every single moment. But I do reckon if you've got the kind of parent who is willing to publicly humiliate somebody who didn't, you know, meet your expectations. Because although you're right, Mom's like it was about the security guard, it's not a bit like chapel Rone wasn't directly involved. The implication and the kind of narrative has gone towards her from both the parents who were clearly very much like why don't you engage with your fans? You're nothing without your fans, And if oh, I think that's it seems.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, it does feel really pointed, doesn't it, And like I understand the feeling of wanting to defend your child and and wanting to fight back and wanting to stand up for what you believe in. I guess it's that, but just on a astronomical level. Given four point nine million follows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a totally different situation, and that you've you're clearly willing to hurt somebody to assert your child's importance. I think that's a really bad lesson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hurt people, hurt people. That's what I say in my kids all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh beautiful, beautiful parenting.
Speaker 1: How likely is it that your friend bails tonight? That's the headline I saw from the New Yorker this week that stopped me in my tracks. It was this awesome piece by Ellen Harold, and she used very serious science, and by science I mean her vibes and her vibes alone to calculate how likely it is that your hang will happen, judged off what people say. So it's basically decoding texts and giving them a percentage. So she had some like I'm ninety nine percent sure I can make it tonight. Really means you're fifty percent sure, or I could be convinced means they are in track pants and therefore cannot be convinced it is not changing. I'm definitely going out tonight. Is for some reason an eighty three percent chance?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, you can reneg on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, definitely. So basically, what I wanted to do is a parent's edition of this and give you some of mine, and you can tell me what you think the percentage is that this person is actually going.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, these actual texts that people have sent you, and.
Speaker 1: No, just my vibe, very serious science mom, this is my vibes of what the answer to this is. Okay, So if someone said you, baby Billy was up coughing last night, but I should be totally fine to come, what's.
Speaker 2: The coming of the percentage? Yeah, are less eighteen percent?
Speaker 1: Okay, I went twelve percent. You've already taken your bra off. Billy is not that sick, and you have two episodes of maths to catch up on. And this is what children are good for. The ultimate excuse when you don't want to go.
Speaker 3: It's the word fine shop fine, nothing is fine.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, okay, here's another one. It's been such a crazy week. Excited to see you tomorrow though.
Speaker 2: No, she's not.
Speaker 1: No, she's not.
Speaker 2: It's been a crazy week. She's again getting in her Traxi pants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, crazy week is not a good sign. No, but looking forward to seeing you tomorrow now, it's though, it's though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh twenty five, twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm saying about twenty five as well.
Speaker 1: I said forty percent.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: It will all depend on whether you get your period or your husband so much as breeds loudly in your general vicinity, which will send you into a rage cleaning meltdown, and then you won't be able.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like one obstacle away.
Speaker 1: From from not going, so it may happen.
Speaker 2: That's fair. It's the term crazy week. Like sometimes when you've had a crazy week, you do need to blow off steam. Yeah, exactly, little Margie.
Speaker 1: It could go either way. Yes, okay, here's my last one. I've organized mum to take Billy for the night, so excited for some cocktails.
Speaker 3: Nine nine point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, I said. Not even a catastrophic weather event don't stop you.
Speaker 3: It does not matter if your child is out of your care. Yes, I could be so unwell exactly, I could have learned some devastating news. But I am processing that over drink.
Speaker 1: With my friend. Yes, and this is probably the only night you both have in the last three months that you could make this work. So it is happening.
Speaker 2: It does not fu Yeah, I'm fake tanning for that coming. I'm fake tanning.
Speaker 1: I'm putting.
Speaker 2: I'm using makeup that night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, the fancy stuff, not just the stuff at the bottom and the draw. Okay, So there is a new trend that's everywhere this week, and it's really riled me up. I thought I was above getting angry at strangers on the internet. I really did. I thought it was more evolved than that. But apparently I'm not.
Speaker 3: None of us though.
Speaker 1: No, Well, it got me good this week. So this is called the sibling effect, and it's where parents make videos of their kids before the sibling comes along. So it might be like a little girl sitting on a bench having an ice cream or like playing quietly with her toys, and it's set to a lot of them are set to that song American Pie by Don McLain, you know where he's like the day the music dad, and then it gets very upbeat and happy. So that's the before is like sad, lonely child, sad quiet music. And the after is the child with their siblings. So cute of course, siblings cuddling siblings on a seesaw. It's very sweet on first glance, and it often is accompanied by a caption that says, now they'll never have to walk life alone. And I can see why if you have kids, if you have multiple kids, you want to share this footage. This is the gold standard. This is what you hope for siblings, that they'll get along like that and have that relationship. But it starts to get particularly hurtful for one group of parents, of which I belong to. So I'm going to be the spokesperson today. Yes, please, I'm going to get on my high horse, because for families with one child, whether that is through choice or whether that is through circumstance, this is sending a very clear message that your child will always be stuck in the before that there's this other better version of their life just here, just out of grasp. But either you're choosing not to give it to them, or you don't have the ability or circumstances to be able to give it to them. I don't know if I'm being unreasonable with this. You can both tell me to get a grip, but it's just settled in me this week, and I really needed to talk to you, both of them.
Speaker 3: I have also been triggered by the same trend for different reasons. Okay, so I like that it's triggering for both of us together. The reason it was triggering for me because obviously started coming up and I was like, yeah, yeah, But then I noticed there were a lot the further I got into this rabbit hole, there were a lot that were about sisters, and it was about like, there's no relationship like a sister. And then I got in my head thinking, oh, I'm not giving Matilda a sister. I'm giving her a brother, and it's not really in my control. If I ever give her a sister, it's not really in my control. If I give this boy a brother, that's not in anyone's control. And I started thinking. Then I started thinking, I'm like, well, I love my sister and she's a really important part of my life, and I'm not what if Matilda doesn't have that, and have I deprived her of That really really got me into this cycle of shame over something that even if I wanted to I can't control. And it did make me think also about how that trend set such high expectations for what the bond is going to be like between the kids when a second or third or whatever arrives, and what the family dynamic is going to be like. The other thing that a lot of those videos have is the moment that the kids meet. But also Mon's I wonder if you had this like that is a huge trend as well, like the moment that you bring your toddler into all your other child into the hospital to meet the newborn. And so many of my friends have said that was toxic for me because one, who it may not look like that. You may have a premie baby and they may be in NICU and you may not want a toddler around them. Two, a lot of toddlers, they're not going to get it. They're gonna scream, they're gonna like wait till you're home.
Speaker 1: Even older kids like they might not care. It's the meeting a blob at that point, and so it may not be that magical moment. And I think that's what this is. It's romanticizing of a sibling in every way, in any way it comes it's saying that this is going to be such a magical thing, and why aren't you giving that to your child?
Speaker 2: I think I want to say, first up off the bat, I'm really sorry you had to see that, Stacy, and I'm sorry that it elected such an emotional reaction in you. And as it would as it would right like this sits at This is kind of on the surface for you, right, it's front of mine for you. You've talked about it on this podcast before. And it sucks that you have to scroll through your feed, which is probably a source of entertainment delight most of the time, and then see this kind of stuff. And I want to say thank you for bringing this topic to the show, because it would have been one of those things that I just scrolled past and not thought about. But hearing that perspective of someone that has one is really important, and it's not something that we hear that often. I don't understand. I'm not a marketing person, Like, what would compel a mother or a family or a father to make this kind of content? I don't know, you're both content makers. Why are they doing this? What are they trying to say?
Speaker 1: I think it's because you know, so much of what we see on the internet. We're smart enough to know this now, is that a lot of it is to elicit a reaction. They don't necessarily care if it's a positive or negative one. And if you look at these videos, the comments are very much split in half. You've got people saying and completely agree, it's a bomb like no other, and then you've got other people saying, I think I'd rather my child have a happy parent who's not stretched beyond their means than give them a sibling, purely out of service to them. But it very much feels like by doing that and creating this content that's kind of meant to get these big reactions. It's almost forced parents into trying to advocate for their choice, like and trying to make their choice the better choice and showing and showing that. But I think one of the reasons it does it does hit a nerve. And the thing that kind of bothered me most about it is because the biggest question you do ask when you've got one child is do I owe my child a sibling? Like it is something that I'm surprised plays on your mind even when you're quite set in that decision, even when you're one hundred percent set in that decision. And for people.
Speaker 2: Because you're getting pressure, you're getting pressure from more side stages. It's not like an internal thing. It's the message is that you're being sent constantly, is asking you when are you having another one? It's people asking you do you have a brother or sister? Like, it's all of those things yeah, but are just like subconsciously ticking away all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And for people in that position, it's like a constant loop of why am I not strong enough to do that? Or why won't my body do that? Or why don't I feel the urge to do that again? So it's kind of a lot of these feelings of guilt that you have lay it on, and then when you see this picture perfect version of what that could be, it does make you feel bad, like it really does. And I don't know what the answer to that is in terms of, you know, this isn't to shit on people that have multiple kids like that is a wonderful choice for so many families, But it's like, how can we all coexist in this space where whatever choice you made is fine and we don't have to call it an effect.
Speaker 3: But it is. It is that idea of like when you turn something into a trend and yet put romantic music behind it, all of that you are suggesting that that thing that you have done is the ideal and other people who don't do it are lacking. And it goes for so many aspects of parenting. And I think every parent who has ever been on the internet has felt shame and as though they're doing something wrong, and that I used to get it. I remember when I got it, very cutely, was when I was struggling with breastfeeding and everything was like these mums like crying while they were breastfeeding and just saying how it's the most magical experience and the tragedy of the last time, the last feed and all of that, and I would just be thinking, oh my god, Like I like, I know, I know it's important, I know the science, I know all of that. I am really struggling with something that I cannot control, and I am just being bombarded with the emotion of it. Like there's one thing to know, to know facts about what's good for your child whatever, but there's another thing. The emotional guilt is bloody horrific.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the question was that you asked Claire earlier, who is this for? And that is such an interesting question to ask, because I think if we if you reached out to one of these influences that made one of these sibling effect videos and said like, what are you doing? Do you realize like this is hurting people? Their intention would never be to do that. You know, it might be Devil's Advocate that who this is for is for the parents to go to try and legitimize their decision, to capture the memories, to be able to look back on it and remember how little their kids were, to make themselves feel better, and to make them feel like they're in control of something which is kind of out of our control. Like parenting, you lose a lot of control in it. So maybe I don't know, just like Devil's Advocate that this isn't supposed to be making other people feel bad, it's an effect of it. But maybe it's just actually about controlling something in a landscape that feels really out of control. This part of the shows where we reckon amend things that we actually love sick. We might have seen something on Instagram that we in fact brings us joy and delight, or we might have bought something, or used something or done something. So recommendations Claire Pragante, Pregante News. What's from the Pregante Dispatches. What are you obsessed with this week?
Speaker 3: Okay? So I have followed this midwife on TikTok forever, since the very early days of TikTok. Her name is Jen Hamilton. She is a labor and delivery nurse in the US. She also used to be an er nurse, so there's an ed nurse, so she has some amazing stories about that as well. But she's now written a book called Birth Vibes, which kind of sums up like just what her energy is generally, which is very She has an amazing way of explaining labor, birth postpartum in a warm, empathetic way while still getting across all the media information while acknowledging the nuances of all of it that the medical system sometimes isn't perfect for what a mum wants, and so she is just my go to at the moment. Every video she posts, I absolutely love it. She did one the other day that was about the tension between if you are about to deliver your baby and you are saying I don't want x Y and Z or I do want X Y and Z. And she's very very good at telling people how to advocate for themselves and what is your choice and what isn't well, not that anything isn't your choice, but basically how to word things, what questions to ask, all of that, how to be prepared. But she also explained that from the perspective of a midwife or an obstetrician, they have a duty of care where they can't do anything to you that they don't think is correct. So she describes in standoffs sometimes where a mother is advocating for something that the doctor physically will not do, and she's like, I don't have an answer to it, but I'm telling you that these situations arise not because anyone's evil, not because anyone is trying to get in the way of your rights, but just because that is the conflict in medicine. So she has so many birth stories, she has so many just great examples of the way birth can go, and just every question you have ever had about C section induction, how all of it can go. She is so so so clever and she I watch her and I'm like, that is the midwife you want in the room, who will look you in the eye and say this is all up to you, like, we are going at your pace. I am not going to do anything to you that you do not consent to, and we care about you as much as we care about your baby. She's also got great stories about some of the things that men do in the delivery room, which I faint no like, like men who bring in like video games and men who just say the wrong thing, and and it's like, no, the midwives are not here for you, so.
Speaker 2: We are pro we are pro dad on this show. Are the stories? Are there stories of good duds showing up in the delivery rooms?
Speaker 3: So many, so many, and overwhelmingly she's very, very positive, But every now and then there are those stories just in the context of how much you are as a midwife. You are there for that woman and you are directing all your questions to her and not and not the partner. So I just say go and have a binge on her videos. They are endlessly entertained.
Speaker 1: I actually love a birth story like I will never get s birth stories. I think they're the best, like and it's probably for you. It probably feels like exposure therapy too. If I just hear all the different variables. Then whichever one it is, I've got like an anecdotal story about where.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's very open about smells. The fact that you you will pooh, yeah, and that's okay, and your midwife loves that for you. If you if you are pooing, your midwife is like you are pushing, pushing so well, So it's very reassuring.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: Five poos here, five poos. Yeah, they call me five pooh bowlie. They kept I think because one delivery. Yeah, I think your wives are bloody amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh, I really bond.
Speaker 3: The bond you have with your midwives by the end of it, Oh, it's something else, really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like that moment in a nightclub in the bathroom when you're friends the little girls like that time's a thousand. Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 3: Because they've seen your age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the pain. But the aforementioned stacy. Yeah, one from one suspicious fluid to another. Yes, I have been putting snail secretion on my face and loving it. And look, I'm about two years later to this trend, so you too might be like, Yes, people have been doing this for a long time. I know they speak about it on New Beauty. They've been speaking about it on New Beauty for years.
Speaker 3: I've never done it, so I need Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's the.
Speaker 2: Does it smell like snail?
Speaker 1: No, it kind of does it sort of like anything.
Speaker 2: You know when snails have that the it like it's a fluorescent trail. Your face get fluorescent, well.
Speaker 1: Not fluorescent, but that is kind of the effect it has. So it's the cost RX snail Muken Power Essence twenty one bucks on Amazon. I saw it cheaper and they sell it in Kmart now, which I didn't realize. So that's also fun, so very affordable. But it's essentially like a serum, like you're putting it on as a syrus.
Speaker 3: Is it hydrating? Is that idea? Okay?
Speaker 1: So it gives you a face like a plump baby's thigh, you know, just that like us delicious feeling. So I put it on before and it just is like, yeah, it like sucks it all up and feels like your skin is nice and juicy.
Speaker 3: Oh I need that, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I just you know, Amelia Love is a K beauty thing, and everyone tells you how good K beauty is, and it is so cheap in comparison to these like ninety dollars serums. So yeah, I just love it, So try that. What's yours months.
Speaker 2: I'm always like hyper aware of how smug I sound in these recommendations, and I listen back to this show and I want to slap myself in the face. I'm like, shut up, you think you're so good as a mum, and so pre warning, this is another one of those recommendations where you're gonna hate me for it. But also some people might be like, Okay, I'll give it a go. I'm a bit psycho about screen time for my kids, Like I'm always like, this is rotting your brains, and yet I am also like, luody, dad da, here's my fourteen hours on my iPhone. So I bought a phone lock box. It's a wooden container. I got it off Amazon. It's got a timer on it. It's a safe for your phone. You have to put your phone in and set the tim out, and once it's a lot, you cannot get your phone out.
Speaker 1: So you can't get it out no matter what, like unless break.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're desperate, you have to log in to the internet and it gives you some it sends a code to your email, like if you're that desperate, but they haven't been yet.
Speaker 3: They know humans so well that they know you're too lazy to do that, and that really shows you the extent, like you'd know you had a real problem with addiction if you did that. Yeah, so I've also got one of those safe and yeah, no, it changes your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's because I am addicted to my phone. It was it's getting gross. One of the kids was like, yeah, he's on your phone. I was like, right, okay, if they're noticing it, I better. I have no willpower. I need something else that will do it for me. So it's been hard, but I'm doing it all week nights and then on Saturday night, that's my night off my lock box. I have my sacred ritual where I get into bed with like the Audi choker chocolate like it is so good if you need and then I get my phone out like a greedy little pig, and I just like I inhale like a hundred memes and I laughed my head off and I send them to all my friends and then I know that's my hit for the week.
Speaker 1: And then I just put it back in the box. How long is it in this box? Yeah? Every evening? Like are you putting it in there? And it's out for the night until the next day.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: I oh, no, I know I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I'm going like seven thirty pm until five am.
Speaker 3: Oh I know better than me.
Speaker 2: Have I gone too hard?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: That sounds that sounds correct. I use my job here as an excuse not to do that because things often happen late at night as I'm sitting there about an hour into TikTok scrolls for this job. I'm doing it for you, I know.
Speaker 3: But it's a trap. But it's a trap of the time. It's it's yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not better than you. I'm just trying something. Okay, it's not going well.
Speaker 1: Give it another way, idea. I need to try it. I need to do it. Okay.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's it for the week in parenting culture. Thanks for joining us, Thanks for clicking on this on a Saturday morning. Great to have you with us, Claire, thanks for jumping in familiar.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me guys, Thank.
Speaker 2: You all right, and a huge thanks to our team that puts this show together. Have a great week. We'll be back next Saturday morning. Bye bye, Mamma Mere acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.