Speaker 1: Out loud as Hello, hello, and welcome to Mom and me are out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Monday, the sixth of July. I'm Holly Wayne, right, I'm Amelia Lester, and I'm m Vernham. Yes, it's the Monday after Taylor Swift's wedding. Did you to notice?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 3: In case you missed it? I heard something was on, but I was. I played pickleball actually in the weekend, so I didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that was probably one of the events at one of the stations inside of Madison Square Garden entertaining.
Speaker 2: I wasn't there, which is hurtful.
Speaker 1: That's true because our Amelia is mysterious New York.
Speaker 4: You do and you do it.
Speaker 2: I mean you look fresh.
Speaker 1: But then you know, first class will do that to you. So if you want to know all about the gossip about Taylor swis wedding, why were there so many people there? Why was Jalo there? And yet some very was there and yet some very famous people were not there? Why all the intense private see and the intense.
Speaker 2: Publicity like an interesting combo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a very interesting business. I talk about all that with Mia on the emergency episode that is already in your feed. But this show that we're making right now is a tailor free zone, and I'm sure, well almost almost free zone. We can't promise entirely, and I'm sure to sum out loud as that will come as a little relief. But anyway, on today's show, What's made our Agenda, Amelia.
Speaker 5: Look, Olbo's in trouble for his answer to a variant on the old shag Mary Kill game, and I'm wondering if it's just time to retire that game once and for all.
Speaker 1: And I'm asking if eighteen is too young to carry in nation's hopes on your shoulders. Yes, we're talking a little bit about the soccer roos, but actually it's broader than that.
Speaker 3: It's like when are you properly a grown up? Plus, there are a new pair of glasses that are going viral at the moment for all the wrong reasons. But first m after months of back and forth, which for some people like myself, felt like he is because we've been covering it a lot on our Schirreless Gossip episode too much. Some would say the Scirreless Gossip episodes we do for subscribers on Tuesdays have been very Harry heavy lately, very Harry heavy, especially his movements around the world. It is official though he will be landing in the UK tomorrow. However, it has been reported that this is going to be a bit of a pray love episode for him because he's going alone. He's going Solow. Meghan and the two kids will not be joining him, which.
Speaker 1: Is a backflip because last week he released a statement from his camp saying that they were going to.
Speaker 3: Be and then he's not going and that has had that statement came out after it was confirmed that they will not be getting police security.
Speaker 4: Are we done with the story now? Do we think?
Speaker 1: Are you joking? It doesn't even started. There's a little loophole in what they've said. So they've said that Meghan and the children will not be traveling to London, but some people think that means that other parts the trip they may still be included. Like we talked on this show, didn't we Amelia about how they're going to Althorpe.
Speaker 2: Yes, Diana's resident's.
Speaker 1: Going to take the children, maybe to see Princess Dinna's grave. That's still on the table. But basically this has been a big chamouz between the fact that Harry had said it was going to be the family's first visit back to the UK in four years, the first time that King Charles well being King got to meet his grandchildren again, and there was going to be this big reunion. And now it seems that definitely not okay.
Speaker 5: But here's what I don't get, Holly, and I need you to explain it to me. They were never guaranteed security. He said he couldn't take the family to the UK unless they were granted state security. They were never guaranteed state security, and in fact, the decision not to give them state security was I think ten days ago now, So why did he then say I'm bringing them and then only to backflip again.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because a lot of this is obviously coming out of leaks from Harry's camp, and there was some mutterings at the end of last week that the threat level had been escalated, that there had maybe been some kind of credible threat against that about Harry and the family in London, And so it seems they.
Speaker 4: Don're not well liked there, are they.
Speaker 1: Well, Look, it depends who you listen to. There are some of the a lot of the media hate Harry and Meghan for well documented reasons, partly because they keep suing them, that's part of it. But they are often saying, oh, they're making up all this stuff, you know, like why can't they just carry on like normal people. But Harry's position has always been, well, I'm not a normal person. I have a very high threat level. So other people say, why don't you pay for it yourself? And anyway, this argument has been going on forever, and it seems that you're right, Amelia, of course that he was never guaranteed security. In fact, there has been no change to that agreement. But I think that he had hoped that with King Charles's olive brown so he would intervene.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'm obsessed with one detail about the security. Apparently one particular sticking point is you know how Charles has offered them bucking him palace. It's been reported to stay out, which seems nice, but the famous one. That's the famous one. But apparently there's an issue about how to get in and out of the palace if you joint has state security, which conjured up to me the image of like can you just get in an uber from heath Throw and be like bucking In Palace and then like the uber like drives up to the gates and you're like, no, it's cool, I'm has Like what happens?
Speaker 1: I would have to go up to the gate and talk to the guard on the front and be like remember me, and they'd be like, no, I'm royal, but are you. There's a lot of debate about that. Anyway, I just have to drop one more royal thing. Did you all catch Prince William on Travis Kelce's podcast New High Obsess?
Speaker 4: You know I didn't. He didn't catch him there.
Speaker 1: I It was really interesting because obviously Travis Kelsey has a podcast called New Heights. He has it with his brother. I only ever listened to it when really really famous people are on it. But it's basically a sports show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when they talk about sport, you're not into it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm quite into.
Speaker 1: This one because they were talking about the World Cup football.
Speaker 5: We've also had a lot of like now it's become a really big deal podcast, like Brad Pitt's been on it, a lot of non sports people have been on.
Speaker 1: It's competing with the other you know, the celebrities are up there, just other podcast as Bill exactly. It really is. So Prince William was on there in the context of him being president of the FA, which is the British Football Association, and how tight he is with football, and it was a very interesting interview because Prince William says nothing like as is trained to do. Travis Kelcey makes lots of lovely overtures to him because they met at the Era's tour.
Speaker 5: But they've also met apparently just a few weeks ago. He William and Kate met with Travis and Taylor when Travis and Taylor were in London, and I thought that was very telling because what it means is Taylor and Travis have picked Wills and Kate over Harry and Meghan.
Speaker 1: It's true, and Harry and Meghan were not at the Wedding of the Century on the weekend, and I'm sure Megan would have loved that way. Prince William's on there. I thought it was very interesting because this is a podcast hosted by two brothers, two very tight brothers, and William and I mean, so there must have been so many no go areas because obviously Harry's business exactly. And then Travis makes quite a lot of comments about meeting William and the kids at the Eras tour and how lovely it was to meet Princess Charlotte. And William just has that perfect super famous person way of like appearing warm and lovely but saying not one thing, just kind of like, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: Didn't you say that? The only fan photo Taylor poster for the whole Eras tour was.
Speaker 3: Of Prince It was of Prince William with Trav and I think her caption was like hello there, mate, and like she had so many like famous, famous celebrities attend the Eras tour in the VIP tent and he was the only photo she posted.
Speaker 2: So she's picked us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she's always been friends with him, Like there was a time where they did karaoke together when they were younger.
Speaker 4: She's always been a William gal oh.
Speaker 1: I think maybe once upon a time she thought that might have been her love story.
Speaker 6: End.
Speaker 1: But the only thing is, as you say, they've definitely picked aside. At the end of the podcast, Travis is like, we love you guys, we love the royal family. It was like very pro rome. We'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 5: Anthony Alberizi is the latest man to get in trouble for playing the game of Kiss Mary Kill, or at least a variation of it. Let's watch the moment, during his appearance on the podcast Bush Deep. I did not know about this podcast until now. It is hosted by a comedian and actress named Nikki Osborne, who, if you imagine this, if you're listening, is kind of dressed up in a sort of like Steve Erwhennie cos play, but sexy outfit, interviewing Albo at the lodge, and the concept is that they're drinking together Jag Mary Date, Kylie Minow, Nicole Kibben or Ronda Birch Moore.
Speaker 2: I've just got married on six months in.
Speaker 1: Well, if it ghost kicks up, let's just pretend.
Speaker 5: Oh Kylie clearly in Mary, Kylie and Shagger and Data all.
Speaker 6: Of the above.
Speaker 2: All right, it's a triple She's terrific. All right, that's fair. Okay.
Speaker 5: The Prime Minister has apologized unequivocally that's his word, not mine, for his remarks after mp Zli, Steggel and others suggested he should have just said, look, I'm not playing this game.
Speaker 2: They've said it's sexist. He should have refused to play, but.
Speaker 5: It reminded me of another man who played this game, and then it went viral, and that man is Travis Kelcey. This weekend, this clip was everywhere. This is him in a twenty sixteen interview with the TV station after Buzz It's called Kill Mary Kiss Okay, okay, so ready, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Damn.
Speaker 6: That's messed up. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Kill any of them.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's just the game.
Speaker 6: Arianna, Unfortunately, I love you, but you're gone, and then Taylor Swift would be the kiss.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, awkward, incorrect, incorrect choosing.
Speaker 5: But what's striking to me in both these clips, and I'm sure it's evident to you too, is that both Albo and Kelsey, who I think we can generally agree, whatever our politics or music preferences, are probably pretty good blokes. Both of them seem visibly and audibly uncomfortable with being asked to play this game, which leads me to ask Colly, is this game irragi will be sexist?
Speaker 2: Is it time to ban it?
Speaker 1: I quite like it, I mean I don't like it. I don't like it in its original version, like Kiss Kill Mary or whatever we used to call it back in the day, or ruder words, and that anyone being killed clearly not don't like it, yes, but it is very revealing. And I have heard so call her Daddy likes to play this quite a bit. Alex Cooper like that, and they'll throw it to female celebrities too. Female celebrities play this game too. There's a classic one with Ryan's the Three Ryans, Quantum Gosling Reynolds. I mean, that's that's a good game.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't play that game.
Speaker 1: But I think the problem what this tells is particularly an Albo's case, is there is a very fine line of being I'm a modern dude who understands that going on podcasts is really important part of my communications strategy. My team keep telling me that's a good idea. But podcasts are very risky for politicians and for big name celebrities because they're often long form.
Speaker 4: So in up until.
Speaker 1: About five years ago, really politicians we generally see them in one of two contexts, either quick SoundBite on a breakfast TV show or a proper in depth interview on like a seven point thirty, So they're either being interrogated about politics, or they're being asked to give quick, pithy opinions and soundbites about their policies our long rambling interviews, or maybe on a sixty minutes where they've been granted access to their home and their family. But it's very editedet, yes, which is great for the same reason I think actually very revealing podcasts are very intimate. It's very very hard to fake who you are on a podcast, particularly over time. And this, remember was a big point of conversation around Kamala Harris, is that why didn't she do Rogan? Why didn't she do call her or she did do call her daddy? Why didn't she do some of those less friendly pods And they're saying it's very hard to hold it for all that.
Speaker 5: But you just said in the previous segment that William did an exceptional job of behaving himself and sort of just talking within the lines on New Height.
Speaker 2: He did a long form podcast, so it's possible.
Speaker 1: Yes, although it was like thirty minutes max, But yes, it was possible, but very boring. There's a reason why the only bit of that interview that's going viral is the introduction ye that Jason Kelsey gave him because there is nothing else that he said. And the problem is is every podcaster wants the viral clip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Albo knows he's going on a comedy show, he knows probably he's going to be asked this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the podcast is called bush Deep exactly, and Nick even says, we ask all of our guests this.
Speaker 4: So the fact that he.
Speaker 1: What would end if he'd have said, because I agree like he should have said no, Zali Stegele's right about that. I don't think his answer was particularly offensive or wrong. He was trying to get out of there and just say, like kylie all the things. How do you think he would have it would have gone down if he'd have just said I absolutely refused to answer that.
Speaker 3: I think he could have literally just said I respect all three and.
Speaker 4: I wish them all the best.
Speaker 3: But that's what I would expect from a prime minister. I think this is a game that can only be played by normies, and it can only be played by normies in relation to celebrities. So you could only do the Ryans on the road.
Speaker 5: We can't do people can't have a celebrit pretty playing it.
Speaker 3: No, you can't have a celebrity playing it because they're too even. That's why when Travis played it the first time, when this interview first went viral, it was fine because he wasn't there yet.
Speaker 4: Now it's not fine. I can't play that game now.
Speaker 1: At that time, he had no idea of what his life would.
Speaker 3: Be exackly where it's like I once was asked in a truth or their game with friends to do a shag Mary kill with people in the room.
Speaker 4: You can't do that.
Speaker 5: So when we were on tour last year and I did a Q and A with the host.
Speaker 4: I haven't forgotten about.
Speaker 2: I think we occasionally.
Speaker 5: So the idea was the audience would ask questions that I would put to you the OG hosts about loud and occasionally I think we would get an audience question suggesting that we play this game. And I tried it a couple of times on you, but it's it did feel a bit gross. It just it just felt a little bit like kind of old fashioned or anachronistic to be making. Even given that you were women and we were playing it heteronormal of Lisa we were discussing then.
Speaker 2: It still felt a little old fashioned.
Speaker 1: There's no question that it's objectifying and all those things, but it is revealing. Kim Kardashian played in twenty nineteen and she was asked which she would She was given Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin, and Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Oh that's just see, this game is not actually a game if you're like putting like not people who were evenly matched together.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know how she watched? How she chose? Quite surprising? Please, she said she'd marry Barack Obama. That is not surprising. She said she would kiss Vladimir Putin. I would too, and she would kill.
Speaker 5: The only thing I'd worry about is if Vladimir Putin had laced his lips with some kind of poison, because that seems like the sort of thing he would do. But kiss Donald Trump, I'd much from the kids, Vladimir Putin, Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: Would you not see?
Speaker 1: I respect all three.
Speaker 5: I wish I'm all the what's interesting it Slate had this big funny debate on their site about the sort of nuances of this game, and they had two real like kind of sticking points that they could not agree on. One is whether the marriage and the game is celibate, Like, is the point that you're trying to decide who you want to be friends with. And the other one was whether once you kiss the person you select, you never see them again or could you just be in a casual kissing relationship forever.
Speaker 3: Well, because the kiss has been changed, this is an issue with modifications, yeah, and the original because.
Speaker 2: Kiss and shag are very different.
Speaker 1: And it has and I think the swapping the shag for kiss and all those things and getting rid of the kill, which obviously is a good thing, but like it's fangs de fanged the whole process.
Speaker 3: I feel like keeping the kill in like makes us remember that it is a fun, silly game and if you try to make exerience, Like with the elbow question, it was shaggy, very date. Yeah, and then we thought Albot thought I was getting away. I don't have to kill anyone, but you're still shaggy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, she actually made it a little bit more fraud.
Speaker 1: It's true. Back to my point about how it's hard to hide on a long form show. Albo or anyone in Albo's position should not get you know how, like reality TV contestants, after ten minutes, they forget the cameras are on and they just start acting like idiots and their true selves come out. That's also what I do on this podcast, thank you. That's what That's what long form interviews are meant to do. Lull you into a place where you're we're just having a chat. We're just having a chat.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Any prime minister, I mean, should of course never be lulled into that. So he should have had no question. He should have had an answer prepared for this if his team knew this game was coming, and the answer should not have been Kylie.
Speaker 5: It's interesting that he even chose to go on this this type of show because just broadening it out to like what politicians do in the age of radical authenticity, that is the era of podcasts.
Speaker 2: This show is very rye bald like.
Speaker 5: The humor is quite coarse, as you as you detected from the ties. They do drink as they discuss things, and she's certainly there were not a lot of questions on negative gearing or capital gains tax changes. What do you think is the strategy given that politicians do kind of get these offers? Now, Holly, do you think he kind of ered inn even going on a podcast like.
Speaker 1: This, Yes, because the problem is is once you're in that position, you have a lot to lose. Interestingly, in the last election cycle, both Anthony Albanesi and Peter Dutton, who was the opposition candidate last election, I'm sure we've all forgotten that because everything's happened so quickly. We'll, like Peter what both came in and sat down with Kate Langbrook for a long form No Filter interview. Now, the premise of No Filter is that they're not going to be grilled about capital gains tax. That's not what it's about. It's more of a conversation about your life and your influences and you're, you know, trying to get a little bit under the skin. And interestingly, everyone said that Dutton was more relaxed than Albo and the albow was a little more that sort of wooden and pulled together in his conversation. And people were a bit surprised by that because Dutton in particular had a reputation at that time as being hard man. You know, you might imagine that he wouldn't be that relaxed in a one on one interview like that. But the thing is is Albo was the one who had everything to lose in that situation because he was defending his position whereas Dutton was swinging for that position. This is the second time that Albow has tripped up recently in into a long form interview that's supposed to be kind of informal. This one was obviously a quick fire around, and then he was on stage at a conference in Victoria and again quick fire around. He was asked one word to describe and then throw in various names. One of them was grace tame. The first word out of his mouth was difficult.
Speaker 4: It's like hm.
Speaker 1: And it was supposed to be a kind of throwaway loles, but once you're prime minister, there's nothing you can't do throwaway in lolls, and I think that it's very easily weaponized. It also is quite revealing, and I think that ideally as much as all politicians are being given this message. And there's something very interesting playing out in Britain about this at the moment with the new prime ministerial candidate. Everyone says he's so naturally, such a guy, he knows how to talk to people, Andy Burnham, and it's like sure, but once he's Prime minister change those rules change, And really I don't know if there's much upside to being on there being asked silly questions about who you're shagging, or one would to describe this famous, high profile woman like it feels like a trap in a moment. Is eighteen years old? Just too young to have the weight of the nation on your shoulders?
Speaker 3: So, Mark Zuckerberg, Amelia, you're knowing? Can I say intimately?
Speaker 2: I don't think. Come on, I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't college with it.
Speaker 1: Any out louders who are like suddenly going what Amelia and zuck were at college at the same time, and he was.
Speaker 5: Launched, and we have an interaction when I was a student journalist when I asked to interview him. I'm just very excited for the forthcoming Social Network two movie where he's played by Jeremy Strong.
Speaker 4: Yes, Jeremy Strong looks so good.
Speaker 5: I was shack married day Jeremy Strong. He would be a lot of work, but I think you'd be worth it.
Speaker 1: No, he's the guy from Succession. In case anyone's struggling to place in Kendall met doctor, Yes Kendall No, no, no, anyway, I wonder if you'll be in it. Oh sorry, anyway, Sorry, this isn't about Amelia's love story with Jeremy Stohn slash Mark. It is about Mark Zuckerberg's meta glasses. If you think this is an old story, it kind of mean is because he launched meta glasses, which are glasses that you wear on your face like normal reading glasses, except they're smart glasses. So they have a little camera on the side so you can film and take photos with your glasses.
Speaker 4: There's little speakers.
Speaker 5: Can I just say, let's file with smart glasses under the things that don't need to be smart and also in that category's washing machines. I never asked for a smart washing machine, and I never asked for smart glasses.
Speaker 1: About fridges, some people know I don't.
Speaker 2: Want anything smart except me.
Speaker 3: I don't need to be knocking on my fridge to see what's in there. I can just open the door. So these smart glasses have now come gone viral again because they've roped in one Kylie Jenner. So Kylie Jenna has launched her own design with metaglasses.
Speaker 1: They do it look really good?
Speaker 4: I have to say it.
Speaker 2: Do you like them?
Speaker 1: I love I think they've like the first round of release of this everyone went so daggy, But now they've got proper designers on board.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they look very pretty.
Speaker 5: The first ones were ray bands and Oakleys, but these ones are stepped up fashion worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stepped up fashion wise. They look very fancy minus the surveillance aspect of them. So Kylie partnered with them to promote her own line of the glasses. She also designed them herself, and with that came a huge, huge campaign. They did a relaunch of metaglasses and they also did an array of gifting to some top tier influences.
Speaker 5: I heard that the Kylie glasses. I heard this because, like I kept reading about them. They have a single rhinestone on the lens to denote what it's like to get the paparazzi always taking photos of Oh.
Speaker 3: I need that for what and the smart glasses do m So the smart glasses thank you so much for asking. So what they do is they have a little camera on the side so you can take photos and videos of like everyone without their consent, which is really nice because sometimes it's awkward to ask for consent, so you.
Speaker 4: Can do that.
Speaker 5: But to be phanom meta, they say that they have designed them so that people will know if you are taking a photo or a video.
Speaker 1: Correct, there's a red light, So apparently there's a light that goes on if you're filming, But apparently it's relatively easy to disable if you have if your intentions are not pure, like most ordinary people probably wouldn't bother disabling that. But if you're specifically wearing the glasses too, I don't know, film Taylor Swift's wedding. When you're you can apparently quite easily disable the light.
Speaker 3: You can also get like sometimes your glasses can become a screen, so if you're lost, you can get Google Maps up on your glasses.
Speaker 1: Can you put the maps? Can you put them on in a meeting? Pretend you're paying attention but really be watching the England game?
Speaker 4: I hope so.
Speaker 5: But then I think the only person who can get away with wearing glasses, sunglasses and a meeting is Anna Winterur that's fair, fair.
Speaker 1: Point anyway, I digress.
Speaker 3: Since these glasses have gone viral and term has re emerged. And this term first came out about in twenty fourteen when Google introduced Google Glogle glass and the term used to describe people who wear these smart glasses and they're called glassholes.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised there was a big ding dong in England because there's a sort of disgraced comedian he used to be a very big deal in England called Michael Barrymore and now he's like, he's huge on TikTok for doing really simple things with So he puts his glasses on, he goes into a shop and he films all his interactions with say the shop assistance, the checkout person, you know, anyone who's had puts them in sort of slightly comedic situations without their consent, uploads it to TikTok.
Speaker 4: They love millions of followers.
Speaker 1: Well, the Shop Workers Union in Britain has and actually in Australia too, are launching a sort of a claim to make them illegal, well not illegal, but to make them what's the word, well, basically banned from shops, that you can't wear them in shops and various other smart wearable technologies too, because it's an invasion of privacy all of those things, but which you could totally see why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also been reported that it has been used by like immigration officers and agents to track people. So it has become like a huge deal, especially in the US of people pushing back at this it's been so like pushed back. There have been influencers who have been deleting their posts of them wearing.
Speaker 2: Glass and that's a big deal, for.
Speaker 3: A huge deal, everyone's saying, it's like we have to do to the meta glasses what we did for fur back in the day.
Speaker 4: And make them cool.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting because you don't want to bully people, but at the same time, if you make something so daggy, so unimpressive that it shames you, sometimes shame can be a useful tool because this is also used obviously by people doing those awful pickup videos on the internet. The Manisphere guy's going up to women wearing filming them without their consent.
Speaker 5: I think what you're saying is it's going to come down to whether or not they're perceived as cool. And it's interesting that Mark Zuckerberg tried to preempt this. Remember that earlier this year he was seen, he went to the mcgala, he was seen front row at the prior to show in Milan. He was trying to get ahead of this and say I'm a fashion person and himself. Now he's not wearing it at the moment. People track the chain as an indication of where Mark Zuckerberg is at and right now he's chainless.
Speaker 1: Someone who wasn't at Taylor's wedding because he was on my TV. He was eighteen year old Lucas Herrington. Now he is the youngest soccer U to ever be in the team for a World Cup. And on Saturday morning, I don't know if you're watching it, it was an ungodly hour. The soccer US were playing knockout game against Egypt in Egypt in Dallas. They got to extra time at one to one and they went to penalties. Yes, I am the sports correspondent now that both sisters have gone.
Speaker 3: Is it hard for you to say soccer instead of football?
Speaker 1: I don't like it, but I'll do it. I know my place.
Speaker 4: So it went to penalties.
Speaker 1: Everybody who knows anything about soccer slash football. This was also a point of contention on the Travis Kelcey podcast with Prince William. They kept saying soccer football to him and he kept saying, I don't think so right now? We call it football anyway. Penalties. Theres anyone who knows a brutal it's the best of five one on one. You and the goalie and nobody wants to do it. But World Cups are decided on them all the time because you play in ninety minutes, then you play another twenty and then if you haven't got a result, it's penalties. Top teams train obviously heavily on penalties. They'll agree who's going to take them beforehand. It's a very professional setup. It's not so much like the old days where people just sort of put their hands up anyway, turn my turn anyway. Australia, to be fair, did not start the penalties well. They swapped out their goalie when it was clear that was about to happen, and then Harry Soutar, who is known as Captain Cragus, missed the first one. Egypt scored theirs, and then our fourth take up was Lucas Herrington. He's from Queensland, he was playing in Brisbane, now plays in America and he's really good.
Speaker 4: But he got up.
Speaker 1: And he missed and we were out.
Speaker 4: Immediately. People were mad.
Speaker 1: So Socceru's great Robbie Slader said, well, he wrote for Code Sports the minute Lucas Herrington stepped up for the penalty kick, I felt angry. The whole country should be this should never have been put at his feet with Australia and a penalty shootout for World Cup survivor. Surely someone in the soccer's brain trust should have said, do we really want to hang this on an eighteen year old I have seen and then lots of people obviously came out and defending Lucas and Slater wasn't criticizing Lucas, who's criticizing the team decision to do it. I also anecdotally saw a lot of women on the weekend, particularly moms, particularly moms with a bit of a protective vibe, saying this was unreasonable. They should never have let him do that, particularly not so late in the penalty lineup, like maybe he could have taken the second one or something where it's not going to be your kick that sends you home. It's really unfair for a young man. But my vibe is this is what professional sport is, and if you're old enough to play on the team, aren't you old enough to take that pressure? But is eighteen too young?
Speaker 4: M I don't think eighteen is too young.
Speaker 3: I feel like if you're good enough to be on that team, like you said, whole they would have had that decision made before they even started playing, before they even before the World Cup even was on, and I feel so bad for Lucas, Like, yes, he probably has Year twelve formal coming up, He's got other stresses going on, and I think he would have just felt so proud to represent his country. And to be fair, there have been a lot of commentators saying that they were really proud and it was a very brave and courageous thing for him to do.
Speaker 2: Well, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a very brave and courageous thing for him to do and the potential consequences are heavy.
Speaker 3: The consequences are heavy, but at the end of the day, he was the best player to do that kick in that moment, and I think age is like it's regardless of his age, he was just the best person to do it. And the conversation would be so different if he got that goal.
Speaker 4: We all would have been like, our eighteen.
Speaker 3: Year old superstar, look at him, go young people can do anything.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: We actually know it would be different because earlier on in this World Cup he became the youngest ever Australian to score in a World when he scored against Paraguay, which was part of why Australia got to where it got to and advanced in the game.
Speaker 2: So you can't have it both ways.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately in football everyone always wants it both ways, right. They're like, if you get on and you do grade, it was like that was a great decision and if you don't it was the end of the world. Now I feel in a way we're getting better at not piling quite so much pressure and vitriol on players who messed these things up. Messed these things up is a terrible thing to say. Harrington messed nothing up. But who don't get their penalties back. In twenty twenty in the Euros, England were playing in the final and it went to penalty shootout because of course it always does. And the three players who whose penalties were either saved or they missed were all black players, Black English players, and they suffered such relentless racist abuse as a result of bit of their penalties not going in that you know, FIFA had to step in. The captain Harry Kane made the point to all the fans, we don't want you as fans. If you're going to behave like you can go and go somewhere else, and those young men had to have protection. There was all this drama around it, and it was just I always just want to say to people, what do you think it's like to stand up there for the goalie?
Speaker 4: And they'd be like, oh, I could school that.
Speaker 2: I could school that.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't think you could, guys, I don't think you could.
Speaker 3: I've also noticed that the fan culture towards men's sport is so different towards women's sport.
Speaker 4: It like this whole thing.
Speaker 3: And all the people with all the opinion pieces about who should have done the kick, who should have been the goalie, It's like it comes from like a place of anger and disappointment. And I remember when the Matilda's were playing and when we hosted the World Cup in Australia, when the Matilda's got left out of the game.
Speaker 1: There was a penalty shootout, a penalty shootout which not for the final but for the semi that was like back of the hiding behind the couch.
Speaker 3: And we won that. But even when we and I remember watching the game against England, I went with my family.
Speaker 4: And it was so so sad.
Speaker 3: But the amount, the amount of proudness we had towards those young women. Was just amazing and I've never seen anything like it, and I don't get that same feeling with men's sport when their team gets kicked out.
Speaker 5: Well, I want to say that I'm really proud of him. I mean, eighteen is really young. And I read an interesting thing which is that he was actually able to represent four countries in this Cup, Australia, Finland, Germany and Zimbabwe. And he has chosen to represent Australia because it's the country of his birth and so we would never have even gotten to where we got to in this World Cup had he not kicked that goal against Paraguay.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask about eighteen year olds. Do you think, because you're an adult, he plays professional sport for a professional club in America, this sort of outpouring of almost maternal protection towards him. Do you think that we don't think that eighteen is old enough to be able to handle pressure?
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 3: Nah, I think they can handle pressure. He didn't have like the best people doing sports, sport would be so boring.
Speaker 4: Currently in the F one grid.
Speaker 3: The rainy chair, we go right now, Kimmi Antonelli is scoring the most points out of everyone and he is the young one of the youngest on the grid.
Speaker 4: He started when he was seventeen.
Speaker 5: I think part of why we want to watch sport is because it's really high pressure.
Speaker 2: There are really high stakes.
Speaker 5: Look, when he kicked that goal against Paraguay, people were predicting that he was going to move from the American side to a Spanish side where he was going to get between twenty three million and thirty million dollars.
Speaker 2: So look, I think he'll be fine.
Speaker 5: Professional sports is high pressure, but that's part of what the money's for.
Speaker 2: As John Drapel would say.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 1: And also there was a time in British football where nobody really wanted to play for England because they saw what happened. If you stuffed up. If you've watched the Beckham documentary, you would all know. There was a moment in the World Cup back in the nineties where David Beckham got sent off and allegedly lost us that that World Cup, and there were effigies of him hanging outside pubs. He was berated and harassed for a full year. Every time he ran on a pitch. People were booing, people were throwing things, and so over the years people were saying, well, I wouldn't want my kid to go into football, or people were saying I don't want to play at that level. It's too intense.
Speaker 3: But the harassment is like crazy, like you're just a bad person, because how does US.
Speaker 4: Losing the World Cup affect you into?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: I often wonder though, if sport can give you that excuse to be a bad person, you know, like to let that all hang out.
Speaker 5: Well, we've got neither Stephen's sister here to be sports correspondents, So Holly's done an admirable job. But I also have a piece of sporting news to bring from the World Cup. So a Team USA player, his name is Follerin' Balligan. He got a red card during the US team's game against Bosnia and Herzegovina, which is a game that the US went on to win. But Trump called FIFA three times over this red card and basically not basically, FIFA caved, rescinded the red card, allow Balligan is free to play in teen USA's next game against Belgium this week.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, how do we call FIFA rag outrageous? I haven't eve enjoyed the sports report. Mama Mia Outloud Sports Report. I promise we won't keep doing that. I just you know, I know you all wanted to send Harrington your love. We know you just want to check the score. I totally do. Can we just wind up so I can check these on score?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 1: Thank you out louders for being in our ears. This is your reminder again there is another episode of out Loud today.
Speaker 4: You've got two.
Speaker 1: It's me and me are talking all about the Taylor Swift wedding as much as we know so far, which is a lot.
Speaker 4: I'd say it's a lot. A lot happened.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in your ears tomorrow. Bye bye bye, Mama. Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we've recorded this podcast.