Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm Am A mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Unleashed, a podcast for gen X women who need a laugh. If your brain is full and the world is doing your head in, come sit with us.
Speaker 3: Who's on the sofa this week?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 4: I'm Mary Kustis. I'm an actress and rider.
Speaker 1: Hi I'm Sally hit Worth. I'm an author.
Speaker 5: Hire our great slam fashion.
Speaker 3: Stylist Katmahony comedian.
Speaker 2: Right, So, wherever you are listening, unclencher jaw, clinch your pelvic floor, and get.
Speaker 3: Ready to unleash.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 3: In my hand, I have the talking stick.
Speaker 2: Yes, So for those new to the show, the talking stick means that if you have it in your hand, you can talk about anything, any subject.
Speaker 3: And nothing is off limits.
Speaker 2: We will, however, probably interrupt and maybe take the piss who wants to start?
Speaker 6: I'll start?
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go, Stary Worth.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cath, I hope you don't mind me speaking for you. But to everyone who's listening, Kath went on a date this week.
Speaker 2: Cat.
Speaker 3: That is big news. This is big news.
Speaker 1: This is very big news. And the reason I know about this is that Kath and I are in a group chat together that actually, sorry, you guys aren't in fine, they're good, but in fact it's a group chat for writers, so it's usually very boring, very rightly. But this week Kath who was quite excited about her date. She said the date had gone very well. Everyone was very excited because the content, as we've said, is not particularly good in this chat, and she had some queries about whether or not she needed to text him, and the group was divided, do you want to walk us through it?
Speaker 2: So I went on this lovely brunch date, you know, two hours fifteen minutes. It was fabulous.
Speaker 5: I want to know what does he look like? How was the conversation?
Speaker 3: Great hair, oh good.
Speaker 2: Handsome from the UK, So immediately we had all those reference points funny, warm, interested, interesting, good style. You know, we had like a kiss on the cheek and a little squeeze of the hand. But it's I think it's been a long time since I've had one of those dates where that energy just felt lovely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was a bit.
Speaker 2: Exciting, and you know, I just I'm not chill, so I just want to be straight in. Yes, I really wanted to text him straight away, but I dropped in the group chat to see what the vibe would be from the others.
Speaker 4: Nice work.
Speaker 1: So Mons came in strongly producer, mons, do not text him first.
Speaker 5: I'm with Mons, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: And then there was the Sally Hipworth side, which was saying that we could just thank him for the date, make it clear that you're interested, and leave it from there. What do you guys think post a good date? Do you ever respond or text first?
Speaker 4: I don't like to seem desperate. I just say guys like to chase. Let them chase for a minute, you know.
Speaker 5: I think if you're going to text back on the same day, it has to be at least a few hours, not straight away, because that is too desperate.
Speaker 1: So I think it's about just showing who you are from the start to save lots of Have you metcalf? I mean she she whill tax him like one hundred times in five minutes.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm worried about.
Speaker 1: Well, I was also saying that she shouldn't do that, so there's a middle ground.
Speaker 2: All I wanted to say to him was are you in? I just need to know you're in, So I texted, what did you say?
Speaker 4: Mons?
Speaker 3: Are Producer's not happy.
Speaker 1: No, would we agree then that Sally won.
Speaker 6: I think what we need to do. I feel my case is being misrepresented. I produce them here. What I said to you was do not text him? Yes, capitals, do not text him.
Speaker 1: My favorite bit was where you referred to Kath as an elusive deer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's simple psychology. People attribute more value to things that are scarce, So scarcity mindset for this man. Men are hunters. I know I sound like I'm in the nineteen seventies, but I do. I think this particular man, he looks like a spear fisherman. He looks like he belongs on an episode of Bear Grills. Right, you need to be an elusive deer. You need to be mysterious, very busy. He needs to feel the thrill of the hunt. You need to make yourself scarce so that he attributes more value to you. It's simple psychology.
Speaker 1: Bullshit, Man, do you get hunted?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: Deer flee?
Speaker 1: Cath is not a deer a dog. When somebody hunt catches a puppy is a rescue puppy. She needs love, she needs reassurance, she needs tender heartedness.
Speaker 6: But when a hunter catches a deer sally. They catch the deer.
Speaker 3: And journey.
Speaker 6: They mount them above their fireplace, and they go to look at my beautiful deer. They go look at my prized possession.
Speaker 1: But puppies get love and affection.
Speaker 3: Do you want to be mounted?
Speaker 4: I'm sure she does want.
Speaker 5: I just think that you jump in too quickly to yes. I think so you have to slow it down and observe.
Speaker 3: I've been single for a long time.
Speaker 5: It's not the point, not with this guy.
Speaker 6: You're busy, you're beautiful, you're brilliant, you're glamorous. Don't be needy, don't need I'd.
Speaker 1: Like to pull back to one of my very well made points. I think if you don't mind, the fact remains hunters often enjoyed the chase more than the relationship. The goal isn't to be elusive, It's to be her warm hearted self without handing over her whole nervous system. By date three, there is a middle ground here. I rest my case.
Speaker 6: I agree. I'm not saying you have to be cold or elusive. I'm saying just.
Speaker 4: Delay the communication a little bit and don't be the person that seems to be needing, you know, a response quickly well.
Speaker 1: We don't have to theorize, because in fact, Kath did pick a.
Speaker 6: Side because I knew she would.
Speaker 5: She wouldn't.
Speaker 2: She can't help can end of the day, Let's be clear, the whole tide turned Holly Wayne right from Mamma Mia out loud is on this group switch switched side.
Speaker 1: She said, I think Sally makes some very good points.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm going to have to step away, and I will say I did. I was really hard on you, Kat, and I pulled it back.
Speaker 6: I said, Kath, you do what makes you happy. It's in writing. I'd like to say it's in writing. Can you read it out?
Speaker 1: When I said please, you said, if you want to sleep with this guy, follow Sally's advice. If you want him to marry you, follow mine.
Speaker 2: I spent the afternoon with the phone in the other room so that I didn't text him. I'd already started to make him in my head a music playlist on Spotify.
Speaker 3: Because I was.
Speaker 1: Neither mons nor I thought that was a good idea.
Speaker 6: I'm just gonna so the last few dates that you've been on, you've asked the guy what his star sign was.
Speaker 3: In the first birth time location of birth Yeah.
Speaker 6: On date one this guy, you want to make a mixed playlist, like like, what if you just did it differently next time.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to do it differently.
Speaker 2: But this is going on text him when it's like today, I've not texted him like I wanted to just check in this morning.
Speaker 3: I didn't text him.
Speaker 2: I'm doing it differently. I'm doing calf bless calf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly what we're aiming for. And you know what, Mon's it was really nice that in the end, after you lost that you were able to come to the table with a nice offering, which was she can't help being her labrador self.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 6: Don't listen to me. I'm very old fashioned. You follow your pure labrador, crystal loving heart and we're all behind you.
Speaker 5: Yes, we want love for you this year.
Speaker 6: This is your year of love, my year of the fire Horse. Yes, the year of Cat's love.
Speaker 3: Labradia.
Speaker 2: I think I did in the chat, did my Labridia?
Speaker 5: Can I just stick please? So as you're not I'm a very petty person. I'm going to talk about something really petty. Do you ever jump in in a public setting situation when someone annoys you? And what would you do or do you just sit there and let it festa and see patient. I'm opposite as you can tell. So I flew from Sydney to Melbourne last week and I was in a man sandwich, which I was not happy about. Being in the middle seat on my left. I had my Asian fellow brother on my right. It is like a white dude. Fine, of course I was mask arp you know, double mask wipe everything, and they looked at me like really weird. Do I give a fuck? No? So then the guy my Asian brother starts sniffing from but he's not your actual brother. No, no, no, I couldn't strike anybody Asian, my brother sisters. So he's he has a runny nose, and as you know, I'm gemophobic. So I was just like, okay, just just ignore him. Put your ear you know, your earphone, so on, listen to a podcast, just ignore him. He's fine, he's fine. So then after maybe like forty five minutes, I couldn't deal with it anymore. I gave him a tissue. I got into my bag. Oh, I was like looking for the tissue and I gave one to him, and he just looked at me like as if I was crazy. I was like, he was like, what's this for? And I said, for your nose. You've got a running nose, have a tissue. So he didn't use it. He just put in his pocket and that was it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: I took the tissue and put it in his put in his pocket and kept sniffing.
Speaker 4: Oh you been enjoying it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. I mean it's disgusting. People, Come on, grace.
Speaker 1: You can't give a random man a tissue. He's not three year old, he's not your three year old. Did you hold it up to his nose and say blow?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: But I mean one thing you don't know that do you carry tissue around Asian people do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Then clearly if he was Asian, he had his own tissues, so you didn't need to passive aggressively give him a tissue.
Speaker 5: I would call it caring rather than passive.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: Do you get annoyed, yes, easily, And what happened.
Speaker 4: Maybe not easily. But I always look for opportunities to make myself laugh, like I like to amuse myself.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 4: On the way here, I was standing at the lights. There was a woman on a call. She had her headphones in and she was talking so loudly next to me that I literally said I was looking forward. She was right beside me, and I went louder.
Speaker 5: I love that, man.
Speaker 4: I feel like saying, you've been screaming. Firstly, there's a microphone attached just right there where your mouths. Why are you screaming? It sounded like the wogs in the old days when they would call internationally and scream down. I was like, why are you screaming? Do we really need to hear your conversation? And do you understand the idea of volume and you can be heard and technology is working for you, But this isn't working for any of us.
Speaker 5: Or they put on speaker film so that everyone can hear, so I don't want to hear your conversation.
Speaker 1: That's the kind of thing that would be funny for the people around saying louder, especially if they didn't hear. But you could bake eye contact and all not and be like, yeah, we all feel the same way about this.
Speaker 4: You know, like I'm trying to make a point, but I'm trying to make it with a joke.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, there have been times where I've seen stuff that I didn't like, like aggression, yes, and things like that where I hate myself if I don't say any Yeah, like I think I'm pathetic for not having said it. You know, sometimes you've got to step in and say something that we just don't know where people's heads are at.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I did that once in Hong Kong. I was in a lift. So what happens when I was a vote? We have an executive left and you need to fop to go up. If you don't have it, you can't use it. So one day I went into this lyft and I saw this guy, this British guy, screaming at the poor little girl who does not speak English. So basically he didn't have a fob, so he shouldn't use that lyft, but he wanted to use it. So he was screaming her so much that I had to step in. So I start saying to him, what are you doing? And he said, well, you know, do you know who I'm I said, I don't fucking know who you are. I said, don't scream in my people, and then I just went I won't even repeat what I said, but I went all out right and then we kicked him out. Then the next day when I went into the office. All this stuff who worked there start clapping. As I was like walking along, I'm like, yeah, I see you. I'll protect all of you. And then I saw that damn guy. I saw him. Guess what he asked me for my number?
Speaker 1: Yes, your phone number? Yes, as a romantic interest. Yes, I know What's he like?
Speaker 5: No? And you know what I said to him, Fuck off you, dick, and I I just left.
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 5: So sometimes you do have to step in, like Bruce Lee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sporting events really get up my nose.
Speaker 3: That's why that's when I stepped in. I'll tell you about that.
Speaker 2: We had to drive to like Wollongong when I was like a schoolholiday for lou to play against this team and Low's team were getting smashed and there was this kid who wasn't even playing, who was just sort of stood behind the goalpost. It's rugby league this game, and our team scored a try, we were like maybe sixty to four, you know, like it was a thrashing, and this kid, this teenage grop bag, was just hurling abuse at Lewis who was trying to take the goal in front of the goal, and I just yeah, I just did the whole where's your sportsmanship?
Speaker 3: How do you feel? And you're not even on the field.
Speaker 2: Who were you to shout those like I really went it in a British no swearing way. I mean he actually looked shocked, and then some of his other mates just gave me a gobfull in swear words, which was obviously what they spoke at that team.
Speaker 3: But that's when I will step in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, when you just go, are you right? They're getting smashed?
Speaker 3: Pull your head in ye? So, yes, sporting events really get up my nose.
Speaker 5: I remain convinced that I was doing a community service. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Your well, all right, I want you to think of a time where you've really had to eat your words, when you would have died on a hill for something and then you realized it.
Speaker 3: Was the wrong hill.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, because that's just happened to me recently. So I live in a beautiful Art deco apartment block. It's run very tightly by the guy who's on the strata board. He runs a tight ship and we have a very beautiful quiet home. So we have a WhatsApp group chat, and we were having some maintenance in the building, so we'd been, you know, notified a week before that the back fire stairs were going to be off limits and that the painters were coming in. Okay, and then the lovely two Irish painters come in and block off the backstairs.
Speaker 3: All good.
Speaker 2: I go off to work, happy as Larry. All is good in the hood anyway. So I get home from like, you know, my morning's work, it's the afternoon, and I met by one of the guys in the building who asked to see the soles of my feet, and I was like, right, so I show my shoes.
Speaker 1: Is this one of the tradees or is this one of the residents?
Speaker 3: This is one of the residents.
Speaker 2: This is the WhatsApp sort of you know Chap who said I knew it wouldn't be you. In fact, we know who it is. We're pretty sure. And I'm like, hang on, back track, what's gone on? Someone has gone from the top floor where I live down the backstairs that are off limits. Already bad because that's prints down a painted stairwell, gets worse the bottom floor carpet they've walked through. Oh my gosh. So everyone is blowing up. We're all talking about it. We know that it's our new neighbor who has moved in on the top floor because one of them has already broken the window, apparently killing a cockroach.
Speaker 3: So they've been in a week.
Speaker 2: They've been in an art deco, glorious building for a week, and they're causing trouble. I hear them all the time, and so I am ready to take them down.
Speaker 4: So there's no surveillance, there are no cameras anywhere.
Speaker 2: So we're just no, we're just going off, you know the fact that we're just gonna.
Speaker 1: Just a vibe.
Speaker 3: Blame the new people anyway.
Speaker 2: And I'm there going yeah, well, you know, I just got home and I could hear them moving around. It was definitely them. So I'm like, so I've got totally involved.
Speaker 3: I'm loving this. People want them evicted.
Speaker 2: There is war anyway, the group WhatsApp chat because this has all been word of mouth, the point in the fingers. So the WhatsApp chat is now out full of the photos with the footprints in the carpet and.
Speaker 3: Fess up, we know it's from the top floor.
Speaker 2: Basic tone, And then I read what's been put in and it's like at approximately eleven am today. Then I look at my phone because it's school holidays. And Lewis called me when I was doing my voiceover work and so my phone was on silent and I look at it and Lewis has left the building at eleven oh one.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh no, it's him.
Speaker 2: To text me that he's forgotten to take the rubbish. And all I want to do is vomit in my mouth because this is already going to cost a fortune to repaint the backstairs. But not only that, I have to fess up that it was my son, not the cockroach smashing window.
Speaker 3: New couple that have moved in in Canada.
Speaker 4: All the people on the WhatsApp group gluding the new people are on the water.
Speaker 2: So I'm having to I take this off the WhatsApp chat. Just take it off the WhatsApp chat.
Speaker 5: Did we know what he'd done?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Well did he?
Speaker 3: I don't know because I called him. He was at Dad's.
Speaker 2: It's now ten pm and I'm hyperventilating and I'm like, did.
Speaker 3: You go through the no go through sign? Did you walk paint through the car? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, Lewis, someone might get evicted if this was maybe it was me.
Speaker 3: I don't know, ma'am.
Speaker 2: Obviously it was him, and so I'm like, I don't know how much this is going to cost to repaint, like the backstairs and the carpet.
Speaker 3: So he's just panicing, going.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've got money on my sprigging, and I'm it's going to cover the backstairs repaint.
Speaker 3: So I fess up, which is the best thing that you can do? This is off the group chat. Don't worry. It's actually it's straight.
Speaker 2: To the head of And the good thing is we've had these lovely painters in our building quite a lot over the past four years. They're lovely. I've always been polite. Lewis has been polite with them. When this was explained to them, they basically said, if she can just get us a couple of slabs of beer, we'll.
Speaker 3: Touch up the blackstares.
Speaker 2: So at ten am I'm at BWS buying beer, which felt a little bit early for me on a Friday morning. I felt so bad that. Just sharing that with my unleash gang, I just feel a lot better. Yeah, glare we good help?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Who as the stick? I'll have it, Mary Chriscus.
Speaker 4: Yes. I recently have been touring a stage show a he's called Frigid to.
Speaker 3: Ferrel, which is fabulous.
Speaker 5: We love it.
Speaker 4: I just love the fact that all of us have huge, busy lives and that, you know, everyone turned up to this show. Bruna had been doing a Forbe summit with Asha Ketty and then they both jumped in a new and came to my show. I looked out. Mia was there, Kath was there, Everyone was there, and it was such a moving thing for me to hit that stage with my big hair on at my high heels. Do you Brad dancing? Yeah, it was great to look at it and see those big, beaming, unleashed faces looking back at me, sitting innocently in that auditorium, not knowing what the hell they're about to wag. It may be so happy because it made me realize how important it is that we show up for each other. It's easy to be a good friend when someone's going through a hard time. We know how to do that right. We turn up, We take soup, we give advice, we check in, we do all of that stuff. Someone close to me once said, you don't judge friends by how willing they are to be there in the tough times, but how willing they are to celebrate your good Yes, and I was very, very touched by that, and we ended up having a great night.
Speaker 5: It was wicked. It was so good. So can I just tell you the incident that happened during that show. I went by myself and the people sat next to me. I didn't know that they knew you, but the lady who's on my right, I was laughing so hard at one point that we did a headbang. Basically, I banged my head onto her head, absolutely accidentally because we were both leaning forward and just went boom. And we loved even more because it was so funny. And I don't know any comedian, right, You're my first comedian friend, and I didn't know what to expect because I'm not from here, so I grew up in the UK, so I am not used to iffy. The minute you started dancing, I almost pee my pants because I didn't know what to expect, and it was so good and the whole thing was just so amazing that I just thought, Wow, isn't it crazy that I know this person. It's on another level of reality check of like how fucking talented you are. And I'm not just saying this, I really mean it because it's something I'm so unfamiliar with, and it was just it was so damn funny.
Speaker 3: Mary.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I just want to say thank you for inviting me, and I would definitely show up for more good times for you.
Speaker 4: Oh You're the best.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: You know, it's hard because for many many years when I was struggling to be a mum, I went to a lot of kid's birthday parties and after a loss someone else, you know, I had a child, and there was a lot of that sort of stuff. But here's the thing, this is what I know for a fact. I've never been the type of person that looks to unknown people to get my inspiration. I always look within reach of my world, you know, real heroes, real people that I know intimately to get my inspiration. And there were many many times where I was so low and I'd go to a movie opening of Brunner's, or I'd watch our best friend who's a rock star do a gig, and it would fill me with such joy and inspiration and it would actually help me feel better and feel more equipped.
Speaker 3: To move forward.
Speaker 4: Certainly, I know that for me, if I'm in my friendship group, I know that it's almost like a multi vitamin that I can gain what I'm deficient in, even though others might be over abundant in something in that moment. And life's a horse race. Sometimes you're out front and sometimes you're behind trying to catch up, you know, and you've got to play the long game. I think, Yeah, we can talk ourselves out of turning up for things all the time. Oh i'm feeling like this, or i'm feeling lower, this has happened. But when you push yourself out of your own head and back into your life and towards the light of someone that you love, I think that's where inspiration truly lives. That's just my way of looking at it. I mean, when you're in a friendship, a healthy, loving, secure friendship, you turn up for everything. Yeah, the good, the bad, the boring, the mundane. Or i'm moving house, I'll come over. We'll open a bottle of wine, we'll pack some boxes. You turn up, You just turn up. But I think that it's really a lot easier to turn up when you know someone else is going through a hard time. Then turning up when you're going through a hard time and they're not, That is that is much.
Speaker 1: When you're not having a good time.
Speaker 2: Look, I think as we get older, you know, we curate our friendships a bit more and you have the people that are there for the good times and the bad times. But what I know I'm really bad at, and a lot of my girlfriends are, is celebrating our wins. You know, I can celebrate everyone else's, but I'm not very good at blowing my own horn. And we've got a beautiful friend, Carl who's sort of curated a group of about eight of us, got us together just before Christmas.
Speaker 3: And the silly season.
Speaker 2: And what she did, and this was probably the best gift I've ever been given, and it would probably have cost her eighty cents per gift, was she made an award that was for each of us to celebrate our thing and had it laminated. So mine was, you know, congratulations to Catherine Mahoney taking over the world.
Speaker 3: One showed a time and laminate.
Speaker 2: It and we were like all really teary, and like we went up it was like the awards, you know, we were not one at a time and kind of all clapped and I'm not joking the joy on these women's faces that we all came away with something laminated.
Speaker 3: Mine's still on my fridge.
Speaker 2: So I think for me, it's being able to celebrate yourself as well as as the people that you love. Who would like the talking stick, I would like the talking stick, Sally Hapworth, talking stick coming at you.
Speaker 5: I make deals with the universe.
Speaker 1: It's my little teeny little bit of woo whoop. And I have got quite a few things that make absolutely zero sense, but they're things that I do. So for example, one of my favorite ones that I've done for a long time is if I have to do something that I don't want to do, phone call an errand you know, sometimes work I will. I've got to deal with the universe that when I do those things, the universe gives me a little treat. So might be and I don't know what it could be. And so as soon as I start to do a thing, I get a little bit of excitement in the pit of my stomach because I'm like, what is going to happen?
Speaker 5: And it always shows up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It can be something really small, like a really interesting conversation I have with someone that I bump into at the supermarket, you know, when I forced myself to do that grocery shop, or it might be something big. And I actually did this when I was in America this time, and I'd been there for about a week and I hadn't done any exercise. I'd been you know, eating all the burghers and the thing, and I just wasn't feeling good about myself. And I told myself, I am going to get up tomorrow and go for a walk before my early flight. If I do that, I'm going to get a little treat.
Speaker 5: So this particular day I got.
Speaker 1: I went a little, very short walk by the way, Like, you really don't have to do much for the universe to deliver.
Speaker 4: Honestly, does the treat reveal itself within the thing that you didn't want to.
Speaker 1: Do, generally speaking, or at least within that day. And it sometimes requires you to look back and go, oh, that was the little treat, Like it doesn't always depending on where your mind is.
Speaker 4: Showing, might not notice it at the time, then later it makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So this day I went for my walk.
Speaker 1: During that walk, which was incredibly short, I got chatting to two people randomly. One of the men was a jazz singer and he started to sing. He'd said hello and then he started to sing, so and I thought core memory being made here, Like, how glad am I that I went for this walk. I never would have met this man. I then was about to get an uber to the airport, and I found out just as I was going in that there was a shuttle that was taking people to the airport from this hotel, which wasn't an airport hotel. I get in the shuttle, I'm the only person in it, and it's this lovely man, and we ended up having this wonderful conversation. So by the time I get on the plane, I'm already thinking, oh, well, lots of little treats have already happened, but I'm sending the energy out. Couple of hours later, got the call. I was number seven in the New York Times bestseller list. You go, girl, we can reverse engineer this any way you want. But I have lots of things like that that I That's probably my biggest one that has followed me throughout my life. Do you guys have deals with the universe? Do you have woo woo things that you do? What about you, Mary, Like, do you have things that don't make any sense that you just live by?
Speaker 4: In the lead up to meeting my husband, I had said to myself, I know who I am in the wrong relationship, because I've done plenty of that. I wonder who I am in the right relationship. I wonder how I love when there are no excuses or limitations or fear. So that had been something I'd sort of planted and thrown out into the world, and then two weeks later I met my husband. So sometimes, obviously I wish for a good parking spot, all of those smaller everyday things, but sometimes on the bigger things, I really I suppose I'm asking for the picture to reveal itself, so a bit of that. I don't know what about you, Grace.
Speaker 5: So I as Chinese and I'm very superstitious. So when we left Hong Kong and of twenty nineteen, I was so anxious of leaving that I actually did say to universe, please let us leave, because this is not good. You know, everything about living there is not good anymore. We need to leave. Please let us leave. The minute I got on a flight, I started bawling like crazy because I thought, oh my god, the universe have answered me to let my little family leave in a very turbulent time. And then my assistant, who I've known for since she was sixteen, and she's like, I don't know, thirties. Now in the thirties, she wrote me this amazing letter just to thank me for being in her life, and I just thought, oh my god, this is my gift. This is my gift completely. But recently, I mean, even up until before we moved Melbourne, I stop being superstitious and I just want to take control. And weirdest thing is that as soon as I stop being superstitious, everything happened organically and everything worked out. So I stopped going to a clairvoyant or fortune teller even though until five six years ago, and I thought, you know, I'm gonna take control. And it feels so much better not to have to look at my charts, you know, and and look at my starsign. I mean, I still do now and then it's interesting to me, but I definitely don't base everything on none of those anymore.
Speaker 1: But how does that play with your Around Chinese New Year, we were talking about some of the things about cutting your hair and wearing the red, but that's just tradition.
Speaker 5: That's more tradition, that's just tradition, you know. And but now I al I always see signs around me, especially number plates, like recently, because if I if I have to go do something really difficult, I always ask, give me a sign, Give me a sign, right, And it's always number plate. You know, I'll always see three three, four, four four nine nine nine. Especially when we were leaving Puff to come here, it was all over me. I think to me, how interpret it is? Like that means you're making the right decision.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm all up for that.
Speaker 2: I have a sign diary, so I have lots of different signs from the universe. One of the signs is actually a dragonfly. I had sadly lost a friend and so she comes through as a dragonfly. So when I went on my date and I had my dragonfly broach, the first thing he said was I love the dragonfly, and he said one flew onto my hand. When I was painting recently, and I was like, in my head, I was going, thanks Bella.
Speaker 3: But I write it down.
Speaker 2: Because things, so many things happen, So if you keep a diary, you can flick back and just go wow. I'm the same with number plates. I do get sort of messages through like that. And when I was recently talking to a psychologist who said, you know, I had an ADHD diagnosis. He asked me something and I said, oh, yeah, I get a lot of messages from the universe. I see a lot of things in number plates. He was like, do you do you get messages through the television?
Speaker 3: Do you hear voices people?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Said, I'm just like a crystal in my bra type of check. I'm not having a psychosis. Don't write that down, give me the meds anyway. So that's how I roll.
Speaker 2: But I always start the day with a gratitude list. And I think when you were talking about your trade with the universe, that just feels like an energetic manifestation. It's like your energy changes. You go, I'm ready for it.
Speaker 3: What have you got? And then you bring it in. You bring it in pretty magic.
Speaker 1: The one thing I wonder about the whole woo woo world, and I say, this is a lapsed Catholic, very poor Catholic to start with, but I wonder how much spirituality, woo woo whatever, the little things we believe in have become the new religion for the secular kind of people. Because it's still you know, if you think about it, even people who don't believe in any of My dad is very you know, non believer, non religious. He bases everything on science and so for him, his higher power is science. And so we all kind of have got something that we are placing our trust in. And for a lot of people, historically it's been religion. But if it's not that, you know, I wonder if it is possible for the human being to just not genuinely believe in anything, and where that would leave us.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I know that the Greeks are big on interpreting dreams. My mother if she dreams that she's lost a tooth, the next morning, depending on whether there was pain involved or not. If there was no pain, she'll hear of someone she knows that has passed. It might be just a you know, acquaintance. If there's pain, it's going to be someone close. And then birds, a bird doing you know, like coming onto the verandah or trying to get into the house, or that they see that those birds as symbols of you're going to hear something like there's a message that's trying to get through. Often my father in law as well, because my husband lost his beautiful sister so they believe it's the spirit coming back in the form of a bird. So there's a lot of cultures that think along those lines. We've got to try and make sense of all that's happening in the world and that we matter and that there are maybe clues to a greater reason for the things that occur.
Speaker 5: My sister came back as a moth the day that she was supposed to come back and visit us after she died. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And do you have a connection to moths now or do you see them around?
Speaker 5: It's funny because since my kid was young, he knows with the Chinese tradition, that means someone passing that came back to visit you. So when never see even like a mosquitoes, Oh, is that your sister? Is that your nanny?
Speaker 3: Is it your dad?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: So we're very used to stuff like that. And I think with religion, whether it's you know, wu wu stuff, it's all about building a community. Yeah, I mean, I'm not religious, but I do understand why people want to be long. I think it's the sense of belonging for everyone is really important.
Speaker 1: Belonging and also a belief that something is behind all of this.
Speaker 3: And it's not just us. I just want to believe there is something bigger than us.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we're not just floundering through that. There is always something that we can tune into for wisdom, or for advice, or for come to try and get comfort.
Speaker 3: Yes, love that.
Speaker 1: All right, It's time for blast from the past, where we go back in time and relive our youth.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: And this week I need to talk about something that I cannot genuinely believe that I'm saying what smoking is back? What do you guys know anything about this? Now?
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: It's back?
Speaker 4: It's back for you, back for society, It's back all over the place.
Speaker 1: Kyle frand Kylie Jenner was recently on the cover of Vanity Fair smoking a cigarette. Sabrina Carpenter was on a cover smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 2: Actually, Dua Lipa was on Instagram the other day. Was she running a light with a cigarette?
Speaker 3: I was like, you really?
Speaker 1: Apparently. Gwyneth Paltrow was also handing out slim cigarettes at one of her launches at her home at a party. And I have to say, as someone who is old enough to remember when people smoked all over the place, this kind of blows my mind and it made me want to know what your memories are about smoking. But before I get to that, I want to say my all time favorite memory of smoking, and that's one that producer Mons gave to me. That came from her mother who said that her obstetrician had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth as he caught Mons.
Speaker 4: In the birthing suite lot smoking in Whoa.
Speaker 1: So that was nineteen eighty.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, that's so fun.
Speaker 4: I do remember growing up. I grew up in Collingwood and there was a doctor across the road. We would go in for him to check on us, you know, during flu season. He'd always be smoking. Greeks have never stopped smoking. You go to Greece and they are smoking everywhere.
Speaker 1: Cigarettes not vaping, No, no, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybebe a bit of vaping, but no. Cigarettes are still cheap in Greece, so they are smoking everywhere. And if you were to say to them, look, I don't like that. Can you just take it further? They look at you like they've never heard anyone say that before. I remember you used to get on the tube, remember the play like Squashed. You all are on the escalator and it was all wood and people would be smoking on the tube, in the tube, on the escalator in the left. You'd be in a tiny poky restaurant and everyone's smoking, like could you imagine that now?
Speaker 5: And on a plane, yes, trouble Yeah. I usually go from home to back to UK for boarding school, people just smoke right in my face. Disgusting.
Speaker 4: It's funny when you go to those international airports and they go into those like cone of silence and they're like, you know, like a cylinder of smoke.
Speaker 1: So is it fashion grace? Is this one of those things like everything old is new again and it's a cyclical? You know, cigarettes are back in fashion again?
Speaker 5: No? I mean it might be cool to young people, but come on, smoking it's bad for you people. It smells your close stanks. Do not smoke please.
Speaker 4: If this is crazy, this is crazy. I just think it's people are going against what the norm is. People want to be seen as rebellious, and I think a lot of these stars are just doing it just because, you know, it seems to be a rebellious actor, or it's a nice art directed photo.
Speaker 5: Who listened to Kylie Jenner? Anyway? No? Thanks?
Speaker 1: The interesting thing about smoking that I recall from when I was younger is that it does force you to do two things.
Speaker 5: One you have to go outside.
Speaker 1: In my day, I don't really have a lot of recall of people smoking indoors. You know, maybe from when I was very young, but my parents didn't smoke. But when I smoked in my twenties, you had to leave and go outside. And the other thing is that you could you socialized. You know, you had your friends that you smoked cigarettes with and you'd go outside. You had to ask for a light. Like there were things that I don't think vaping provides.
Speaker 3: I'd like to bring the landline back. Bring the land line back. It's better for your jack.
Speaker 4: It doesn't have a mobile. She lives and dies for the landline.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 1: Is it an old dial up one?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, she's cordless, but she's so funny. She's so addicted to it. She talks on the phone NonStop. And she's got one of those you know, international ones where you can call any mobile, any landline, anywhere in the world and it's right. So when we're having dinner at her house, which is like a pretty momentous thing because I don't live in Melbourne, you know, so that's a big deal. When I go home to have dinner and her phone will ring like tur three time during dinner, and she'll go off into the powder room which is next to the dining room, and would it acts like an ampitheater and she's talking on the landline and then if if someone calls her again, she just says one thing very popular, very very popular, and she takes the phone and then she goes she.
Speaker 1: Could take it outside and light up a cigarette while she's out there all night experience. What do you think the next thing that's going to come back is going to be? Like? Can we prepare for it and get our things ready?
Speaker 3: Please come back.
Speaker 2: Tape?
Speaker 3: I want a mixtape.
Speaker 5: We'll hold on to them.
Speaker 2: Actually, speaking of mixtapes, we have an unleashed Spotify playlist. Yes, honestly, it's the closest thing to a mixtape. We're going to get it is so good. It's eighties and nineties bangers back to back.
Speaker 3: Go follow it. The link is in the show notes.
Speaker 2: Oh and if you've got a song that needs to be on there sliding to our dms, yes, because we take belting out songs here quite seriously. All right, that is all we have time for this week. If you have any messages that you want to send us or questions, dm us at Unleashed dot show on Instagram because we love hearing from you.
Speaker 3: Don't we maya I love it, love it.
Speaker 2: And if you are thinking about picking up a cigarette, don't make us your new guilty pleasure instead, So follow the show and share it with someone else you might think needs that distraction.
Speaker 3: What do we like to say? Ladies? See Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Until then, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, Stay unleashed.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 3: Mamma.
Speaker 2: Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on