Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting Out Loud, the podcast to parents who don't always listen to parenting podcasts. We take a look at sort of the trends and the culture and what parents are thinking about.
Speaker 2: I'm Monique Poley, I'm Amelia Lester, and I am Stacy Kicks. So happy to be back with both of you. I loved listening last week with beautiful Gracie on here, but happy to be back yapping with you two min's.
Speaker 3: You've got a bit of housekeeping, don't you.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I have a public apology to make.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think they might call it in the biz a product recall. Last week I recommended on this show Ted Lasso season four. Yeah, and look, I did say I haven't seen it yet. That's my first mistake.
Speaker 2: Oh you did a prereco Oh.
Speaker 1: I'd like to publicly apologize for that recommendation. The show is abominable. Do not spend your time on it. And I apologize unreservedly. And I think what hurts me the most is that parents have such limited time to sit down and watch TV, and the fact that I told people to go and spend their precious screen time on this disaster. It cuts me deep and I'm going to make up for it today, okay, but coming up on today's show onto serious business.
Speaker 2: Yes, the influencer who sent her five year old to the park alone, even just saying it stresses me out.
Speaker 3: What do you want your kids to be when they grow up? And if the answer is doctor or lawyer, find out why you're increasingly alone?
Speaker 1: And do your kids know what FESTI means because I have a petition to bring back old school slang. But first, we do like to bring you sort of what's around on the internet each week, and each of us has something to submit today from their algorithm that it feels like everyone is kind of talking about. So Amelia your submission please.
Speaker 3: In case you missed it. An Australian mum's Instagram video has sparked a debate about where the babies belong in business class. The Australian jewelry designer Charlotte Freeman was flying into Singapore recently trying to comfort her one year old son Freddie, when a fellow passenger decided to get involved. Here's Charlotte, So we just.
Speaker 5: Flew into Singapore this morning and I wanted to let you know about an incident we had on the plane where Freddy was a little bit unsettled and crying a bit, and this lady took it upon herself to scream across the cabin at the top of her lungs.
Speaker 6: Shut up. Now, that same lady stood up and stared me down, and I said, is everything okay? And she said, no, your baby has been crying and I'm in business class. And I said to this lady, well, you obviously haven't had kids, otherwise you would understand what it's like to have a child. And unfortunately this comes with having a baby. And she said, I have five. And then she proceeded to say that because she had paid for her business class ticket that a mother and a child, which should never be in business class. There should always be an.
Speaker 3: Economy So look, Charlotte told MoMA Mia this week that she wound up taking Freddie down to economy class because she just felt more comfortable there. And to that, I say, welcome, Charlotte. We're a friendly bunch down the back of the way. We're a little smelly at times, but we are friendly.
Speaker 2: You welcome the crying babies.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look from one disgruntled mother to another this week, my submission is Anne Hathaway, who is just everywhere. That woman is the booked and busiest woman in the world right now. She's got five movies coming out this year.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then she's just pregnant casually with her third child. On top of that, she's been doing the rounds for her movie The End of Oak Street, and she was wearing this really cool Prabo gerrang like high low top. It has like a big train on the back of it, and she's got low slung jeans on with the belly out the middle. Her body's gone, third kid, know what we're doing here? Bam? And people malfunctioned overseeing like a normal prego body, unrestrained in the wild like. People were accusing her of having a fake bump on because they didn't think it looked the shape that a normal pregnant belly should look. This was widespread, not a few wackos, a lot of people saying, why does it look like that, That's not how bellies are meant to look. Absolutely insane. And then I just love her because she just clapped back to the next day by posting and getting ready video for that day and she wrote fake hare real bump full stop.
Speaker 1: That's so boring, just the whole station around. Oh God, I'm so bored by it. But do you know the one thing I do think, quite honestly, when I look at her, is I do get jealous that she seems to be just glowing her way through this third pregnancy.
Speaker 3: I read a quote from her that said that she realized when she turned forty that life was not a dress rehearsal, that this is it, this is her chance, and that's informing how she's going about her third and what she thinks will be her final pregnancy.
Speaker 1: She's just like letting it all out there.
Speaker 3: And then she went on a talk show after the premiere with a similar bump showcase and piece. You can tell that she's just informed by this. This is the last time I'm doing this. I'm just not leaving anything out there on the tape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it, Love Anne.
Speaker 1: So you know what the Internet loves more than hating Anne Hathaway.
Speaker 4: Love.
Speaker 1: It loves wholesome dud content. And so my submission this week from my algorithm is a wholesome Internet daut of the week. This is Melbourne dad Zachary Perez. He's on Instagram as at non practicing genius. He decided to start a dad's walking group, and in week one this is what happened.
Speaker 4: To my dad's walking group this morning. But that doesn't matter. I didn't really promote it all that well, and it's still a gorgeous morning to be out walking with my lad.
Speaker 1: So the footage of him is like him walking along this trail, the babies in the baby Bjorn with its little head bouncing around, and he's like, you know, no one came. That's okay, I'll try again next week, And the internet did what the internet does, and boom, Like the next week, over fifty dads and babies all rocked up to this Sunday Dad's walk.
Speaker 4: Just back at the car now after an incredible turnout. There had to be at least fifty dads. There could have been a lot more, and kids that came along had a great wonder the weather held off, met some good fowlers, had some great chats, and just feeling really really pumped.
Speaker 1: I love this and I don't want a dad bash. Where not dad bashes. Here were four the wholesome dads. We're pro dad, but there was like a tiny bit of cynicism in me that was like this dad started a walking group and he ended up on the Today Show talking about his walking group, Like every mum that's in a mum's walking group, that's just like another Tuesday for the mums. But it's Yeah, it was super wholesome and a beautiful little story in my algorithm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it, and I think dads don't have that community as much, so I do think it needs to. And like as you were saying that, it went viral and then fifty dad showed up. I was imagining fifty wives at home going, you have to go to this this guy, he doesn't have anyone there with him, and you're going and taking our kids. So I think the mums are probably to thank for it. Actually, I saw.
Speaker 3: It in my neighborhood a bunch of elderly men in a walking group the other day.
Speaker 2: They must have mostly.
Speaker 3: Been in their eighties and they were walking around the local oval together having a chat. Why are we so heartwarmed by men just being together, not at the pub. I guess it's just because we want them to have social connections.
Speaker 1: Yes we do, and it's those scripts of masculinity being hard and not connecting and bearing feelings deep and yeah that we're trying to disrupt, I guess, so any chance we see it, we're like, yay, yay, dud's.
Speaker 2: So, the big story this week that's been doing the rounds is about an influencer who sent her five year old to the park alone, and it sparked this massive debate about whether this is free range parenting or whether this is just straight up irresponsible. So I want to play you a little bit off the clip. I've just let my five year old go to the park on his own. I feel quite nervous, but I'm going to let him grow up. He will be six next month.
Speaker 1: I live opposite the park.
Speaker 2: The windows all open, the door obviously can't be open because I've got a dog. I'm checking every thirty seconds.
Speaker 5: I've just checked.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go check again.
Speaker 2: So that was content creator Charlotte Lanford tag. She's a mom of two from the UK. She posts quite regularly just about family life, and I want to give you a little bit of further context before we dive into it. So Charlotte's described her son as very responsible and wise, and she says that she wouldn't let her younger son do the same. She just thinks he's got the personality where he can do that. Their park is directly across the road, and they live in a culder sac where they've lived for years, so very familiar with the area, and that she can hear him from the kitchen window, and he can hear her when she yells out across the road. He responds to her in the video. Regardless of all of that, people called her actions straight up neglect. They were comparing this to the Maddie McCann case. Other people were saying that they don't even let their children in their backyard unattended, and so why was she letting her child leave the house across the road be at the park on his own. And that's why I wanted to talk about it, because there's an argument being made that this is everything that's wrong with parenting now, that we have such a tight leash on them, that we never let them do anything, and that this is the problem. And yet at the same time, the minute the words came out of her mouth that she was sending the five year old to the park alone, my stomach was in or not and I just thought, oh my god, I just couldn't do it. I wouldn't do it because it would be the least enjoyable experience for me, because I would be a nightmare, a ball of nerves the whole time. So I want to know what your initial reactions are.
Speaker 1: I want to provoke you on that. So I hear that and I feel the same way. The anxiety is enormous. But what if you know, and we do know from the research and the data that this is actually really good for kids?
Speaker 3: Yeap?
Speaker 1: Does that change how you feel about it? Like so much of parenting is actually about having to park what you want to do your people pleasing tendencies and your need to protect them in order for them to spread their wings. So you're a smart woman, You're the editor of Muma Mia, you read all the parenting books, you have done all the parenting research, and yet you still wouldn't do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I think that is one of the things that's tricky about parenting is that you're constantly fighting against this need to keep them safe one hundred percent of the time with this need to let them exist. And that was the argument Charlotte made that she was like, they need to be prepared for the world. I'm preparing them for the world. They need to feel confident to be away from me and to be their own character and their own person. And so that is what she argued that she is doing. But that was very different to the response that she got.
Speaker 3: I'd like to think that I would do this. The thing that would worry me most is actually not stranger dangers so much as traffic danger. Did she mention, is this across the street?
Speaker 2: Yeah, across the street, but quite on a quiet street, right, Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because I think that is a very real threat. But I think so much depends on the child. And I love that she wanted to explain she knows this child, she wouldn't do it with this other child. And the example I give is that, knowing all of all the consensus of the researchers that we have to let kids roam by themselves, I put my two kids on I sent them on the school bus last year sort of as an experiment. And obviously that's very safe. It's daugh to door service. But I could tell that it was stretching them both a bit beyond where they were comfortable. They didn't come home beaming with pride as I might have imagined. They came home looking a little nervous really, so I decided it was too early for them. But this year, and I've mentioned this on the show, I started sending them to the cafe on our block to get to get coffees in the morning, and that really made them feel exhilarated and they came back so filled with confidence and excitement about what they'd done. I think they did get some judgment from the cafe, but they loved doing it. So I just want to come back to the idea that it depends on the child, and you, as the parent of the child, know what you feel that they're capable of in any given moment.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so, yes, it does depend on the child, but it wholly also depends on the parenting style too, right, And there has been all this research and the data into this, and may I go down into my what the researchers say, mate, please thank you so step one. Okay, So the first thing to say is that, as you alluded to Amelia, like stranger danger is a myth, it's not actually a thing like if we look at them, Because what played out here in the comments of this TikTok was a term called worst first thinking, where we default to imagining the very worst case scenario and then we behave like that is what is going to happen. But we know from the data. It tells us that most harmful encounters that children have statistically happen with people that they already know and trust. And there's another crazy statistic that kids are more likely to be seriously injured in a car accident than to be taken by a stranger. Now, even the Morecambe Foundation says this. This was the more com Foundation was set up by Bruce and Denise Morecambe in memory of Daniel Walcombe, who you may remember was abducted and murdered in two thousand and three. Their CEO, Holly Brennan says, stranger danger is based on a myth. It's not evidence based. Less than one percent of children are adopted by someone who could genuinely be classified as a stranger. But here is what the experts want you to know. Peter Gray is this research psychologist at Boston University. He's an emeritus professor in pediatrics and his whole job is to research this. And what he says is that when adults are always hovering and keeping kids safe from every risk, kids never get the chance to build the sense that they can handle stuff or solve problems, or be independent, or build resilience, and this is a recipe for anxiety. And what we see is that all these kids nowadays have less unsupervised, self directed play than they used to, and that sort of decline correlates lines up perfectly with rising anxiety and depression rates over the same decades. And he also did a huge research piece into actually it was Macquari Unversity did this huge re search piece into parents with anxiety raise children who are more likely to have anxiety, And some of the research around it was because of the way that they parent. They always prevent risk, they prevent dangerous situations. They have that feeling that they want to keep their children couched in safety, thinking it's for their own good, but it's actually doing the opposite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that was a big part of what bothered people so much about Charlotte's video was the lack of anxiety. Like she does sound nervous. Of course, you hear are in that clip saying like I'm checking him every thirty seconds, But it wasn't this real, like deep seated, He's going to get taken like she wasn't thinking about that. That wasn't where her thought pro was. It was just about you know, was he okay? Had he fallen off a swing or something like that. And she spoke a little bit in subsequent videos because needless to say, the comments were vile towards her. People were even threatening to call child services on her and saying, we can figure out where you live now we know you're across from a park, Like it really went to this dark place. And she was saying, given she co parents with her partner and that her children are away from her for half of the week, she's really had to learn to relinquish a bit of that control over knowing what her children are doing every second of every day, and so when they are in her care, she tries to not take that away from them either and still give them that space to be doing that. And like you said, mon's about stranger danger. I looked into it because I wanted to know, like what numbers are we talking, Like how rare are we talking with stranger danger? And it's so little that they just say fewer than one percent. Exceedingly rare is what comes up again and again across the board. I'm talking US, UK and in Australia. Like even in the US, it's around one hundred children in the US are taken by a stranger, but a lot of those are returned, So we're talking minuscule numbers. But I do think people will argue those numbers are so minuscule because we don't let them roam around as much anymore. So you know, the fear isn't completely unfounded.
Speaker 1: I want to ask Amelia a question about the coffee run. The first time that you did it, how did you feel versus the tenth time, Like was it the first time? Were you full of anguish? Were you at the window picking out? And has it become easier?
Speaker 3: Good question. That coffee ru is a very particular thing. There is no road to cross. I don't think I would ever let them do this if it involves crossing a road. It is on our block. So that's the first thing I want to say. The second thing about it is that I felt proud, actually because I felt proud of them for meeting the challenge, but also proud of myself because I am aware of that research. I am aware of the idea that experts sinc we're wrapping children in cottonwall and that's contributing to higher anxiety and depression rates later on. But it's easier said than done to surrender the reins. I come back to something you said at the start, Moons. I think that's so true. The ongoing tension in parenting is you want to give them freedom, you want them to grow up, but you also want to look after them, and that tension it's not easy to resolve. And I take my hat off to Charlotte Blandford tag because I think what she did there was hard. It was hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, palette cleanser Now because of the night, I quite like to get into bed with my electory blanket on and have a good old dirty scroll on Reddit. I love it. I mean, I'm not watching ted Lasso anymore. Plenty of time up my sleeve for it. So someone on Reddit posted this week and I wanted to bring it to you for your consideration. It was in the subreddit Australian Nosagia and they wrote, I really miss the Aussie slang that was part of almost every conversation when I was in school, rack off bloodger festie rats as. Can we start using them more? Agaan please? So girls, give me your very best school yard slang that you want to bring back.
Speaker 2: I want to bring back mole. We used to call each other moles all the time, and it was it could be derogatory or it could be endearing. It was kind of like the C word. It was really just in the context of how you used it. That's so random. We used to just call everything random. It wasn't that random, but you would call it that. And talking to the hand. I feel like we need to make people do that much. Yes, talk to the hand, because if they say listen and everything was like chat or rank, I remember r. That's so rank. Well that's mad chat there my face.
Speaker 3: Why do we have so many words for things that were discussed?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Interesting? Yeah, mine, This really took me on a trip down memory lane. First of all, rakoff is the greatest.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another reddit classic is someone put together a supercut of the original Heartbreak High characters saying rack off to each other. I don't know if either of you watched the original Heartbreak High on ABC. It was very risky. It was like a grassy bit for Australia and they all said rack off to each other. It was just it was just the greatest get stuffed. Oh yeah, gets Captain Kim Lyon gets stuffed. The pair of views sucked in. We don't say sucked in enough. It's a great everyday expression. Yes, and dobber like you don't. I feel like that's gone, Like kids today are not even familiar with the concept of dobbing.
Speaker 2: No, they're.
Speaker 3: Yours.
Speaker 1: Just do you remember don't pike on me, don't pike, don't be a piker?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And it was like the worst thing you could be if you if you did that, if you bailed.
Speaker 1: Yeah you bailed. It was don't pike on me. Yeah, I'm cut. I'm so cut.
Speaker 2: I feel like this.
Speaker 3: Is like South Australian. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah we had cut. Yeah, we had cut in the Western suburbs, so we didn't have a hole in South Australia. Oh okay, that's Stacy.
Speaker 3: You got something here that I need you to bring up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, so this is not slang, so I'm breaking the rules. But it was the first thing I thought of. As soon as I heard the words Festi and rack Off, I was like, it brought me back to the time that we would draw stusses on everything. Do you remember, Yes, they were like a three D s like why did we do that?
Speaker 3: And why was it everywhere? No?
Speaker 2: Like I had them all over my Pensylca.
Speaker 3: You remember feeling like my mastery the of the.
Speaker 2: Yes and you were like so cool and batter if you mailed you know what.
Speaker 3: Project for next week? Parenting out loud listeners. Teach your kids.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, teach them a life skill that they'll actually.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is our generational skill that we need to past out.
Speaker 1: And if they don't get it, you can be like, ah, sucking, yes, sucked in.
Speaker 2: Your dirty mole.
Speaker 3: What do you want your kid to be when they grow up? A recent New York Times article shows there is this growing disconnect between what parents want for their kids and what kids want for themselves. The article was called mom, Dad, I want.
Speaker 2: To be a worlder, great headline.
Speaker 3: So choosing a trade is for some young people a way to be proactive about this changing employment landscape that we're always hearing so much about. They keep hearing AIS coming for you, aas coming for white collar jobs, and they think to themselves, but can AI fix or sink? And the answer is at this time of recording, no. But for many parents there's still this linking stigma around the trades, this sense that having a vocational occupation is inferior to an office job. And one vocational school expert who was interviewed kind of summed it up. He said, we're trying to get them proud to say my kid's a worlder at a cocktail party. So the picture in Australia is very similar. I was interested to learn that apprenticeships are up eighteen percent year on year and there's national shortages in eighteen construction and trades occupations, so that includes electricians, plumbers, carpenter's, bricklayers, Ruth Tyler's. Australia needs more of them. So why can't parents just get over themselves and instead of saying become a doctor, become a lawyer, say I really want you to be a bricklayer, Stacy.
Speaker 2: I think there's two reasons that this goes on. I think one of them is that classic thing of it was drilled into us by you know gen X or boomer parents, like you hustle, hustle, you work hard, you climb the ladder. It was all about a ladder, like you've had to keep going up a ladder.
Speaker 3: Which is actually used in a lot of trades. Yes, true, true.
Speaker 2: Famously ladder is very popular in the trades. So I think part of it is that is that we see certain careers as having and most of them are boring white collar desk jobs that you are climbing up and there's the next stage in the next stage above you, whereas trades are seen as like career jobs where you were you are doing them for a lifelong, but they're not seen in that traditional progression way, which is just is actually unfounded. It's not true there is. But I think the other thing that's going on is exactly what that guy said, that we want something like we see our children as an extension of ourselves, and we kind of want to say, well, look what they did.
Speaker 1: Look for cocktail party.
Speaker 2: It's the cocktail party theory. It's one hundred percent right. You want something to gloat about, like, let's be real's that's probably what it comes down to. For the people where that matters. It's that you're thinking, oh, well, I want to be able to impress them with how brilliant my child is. And their job is usually the first question when you ask what do they do?
Speaker 3: Successive governments over decades have disincentivized young people from choosing university. They've said, we'd rather that you just start making money upfront, go through a tafe or a trade school, hit the ground running as a bricklayer or as an electrician. We don't want to invest anymore in that longer term university education. And young people have listened to that and gone, Okay, I'm taking that at face value, particularly as cost of living rises and student loans get higher and higher, I can see why for young people they don't want to make that investment in themselves.
Speaker 2: And I think the whole ai of it has ruined the guaranteed return on investment. Like you know, before it would have been that I'll put in the hard yards now and I'll have this big debt, but then I know that I'm going to get a higher paying job at the end of it. That was kind of the.
Speaker 3: Deal literally has In fact, salaries between white collar jobs and the trades have actually the gap has really now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So why would you go and put yourself through four years at that high cost when the job you want might not even be there at the end of it. Like you can go and start doing a trade now, like you can see why for this younger generation it's so much more attractive to them to just go and start earning money.
Speaker 3: But then I wonder, because this article in the New York Times is very much about gen Z and gen Z, it must be said in the US, where the university system is quite differently structured financially, my question to you is do you think Australian Gen Alpha kids are going to even experience that sense of stigma around the trades and vocations versus professions or do you think by then, because of AI, because of the salary windows narrowing, they're not even going to see this as a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. It feels like there's kind of a big flattening.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, it's that great flattening. I love that phrase, Stacey. You made the point that we're all sitting here doing a job that we could not have imagined, that was not in our year twelve job's guide at all.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think our parents would have been sitting around going I really hope my daughter like spends her days yapping in front of a microphone and other people listen to that, Like, I still don't know if they fully understand what my job is now and you know so, I think this is probably just something that happens with every cycle, with every generation of kids. There will be jobs that we have no clue about and that we might go, why are they doing that when they could do this? But you know the world is expanding and changing and they'll move on to those roles.
Speaker 1: Well, that's all we have time for today on Parenting Out Loud. Thank you so much for spending your precious, precious time with us. We do have a lowis little favor to ask. We're looking for more smart parents to come and listen to the show and to be part of these conversations. So if there's someone in your life, school parent or like childcare parent that you're like, oh yeah, I reckon, I reckon, they would like some smart chat and they're searching for a new podcast, we'd love you to share this with them, just like flick them the link mentioned in conversation, grab their phone and follow the show from their phone. Thanks so bossy, so bossy. All right, we will see you again next week. Bye. Mummy. Acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast