Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma mer acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to mom Mire out Loud. It's Wednesday, the twenty ninth of May. And I'm Holly Wainwright, I'm.
Speaker 3: Mea Friedman, and I'm Jesse Stevens.
Speaker 2: And on the show today, did you see that video of the woman running the half marathon and her husband ushered their kids into her path just when she was about to win. Yes, you did, and everything you think about that video is wrong. Sorry about that. Also, Generation Alpha have entered the chat and everything's skippity toilet and not feeling it today. Perhaps it's time for some unhappiness leave. But first, Jesse.
Speaker 3: Today, doctor Christos Christo, who is the president of Doctors Without Borders, said on ABC Radio National that he has run out of words to describe the horrors of the situation in Gaza. This week, a deadly air stra in the area of Rafa in southern Gaza killed at least forty five Palestinians and wounded dozens of others. This is a place that the Israel Defense Force had declared safe. It is where Palestinians have fled as Israel forces continue their offensive. Just last week, the International Court of Justice ordered Israel to halt its military operation in Rafa, noting the immense risk to the hundreds of thousands of Palestinians taking shelter there with nowhere to go. The international community, from President Joe Biden to French Prime Minister Emmanuel Macron, to our own Foreign Minister Penniwong, who said do not go down this path, all foresaw what was going to happen in Ruffa. So what did happen? Palestinians were sheltering intents, seeking refuge from the bombardment they have faced for seven months now, and according to the mayor of Ruffa, the IDF launched more than seven missiles which killed men, women and children. These civiliansans were killed in ways I do not wish to detail. The horrors are too much to bear. The last hospital in Rafa is on the brink of no longer functioning, so there were few services to treat burns. Displaced people dug through the rubble in an attempt to find the bodies of their families, of their babies. Then came the international condemnation. This is what Foreign Minister Penny Wong said in the Senate.
Speaker 4: May recall that the Prime Minister and I have both said in relation to Rafa, our message to the Metayahoo government do not go down this path. The international community has been one on this. What we have seen in the past twenty four hours reinforces why we and the international community issued this warning. The death and destruction in Rafa is horrific. This human suffering is unacceptable, and we reiterate to the government of Israel this cannot continue.
Speaker 3: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netnia, who has referred to what happened as a tragic mishap, and yet emerging reports indicate that such an attack has happened again, with twenty one people killed by an alleged Israeli air strike in a so called safe area. Thirteen are believed to be women and children. This rhetoric of a tragic mishap is something we have heard again and again. We spoke a few months ago about a six year old girl. There was audio of her calling for emergency aid after she had fled with her family, all of whom had been killed by an Israeli Army tank who shot at their vehicle. The call then went silent and Hindra Jab was also killed. Australian journalist Jan Fran has shared a series of these so called mistakes from the Israeli military, admitting it was a mistake killing aid workers, Palestinian civilians walking down the street, a four year old girl, journalists, three Israeli hostages. We have watched as maternity hospitals have been destroyed, Premature babies died at Alshifa Hospital. I mean, the list goes on. The anger and distress in the atmosphere right now is palpable. Following world to there were peace treaties and the UN was formed and the Geneva Conventions set up laws of war. And to sit inside our homes today and watch as displaced people are killed, this is the stuff of nightmares.
Speaker 1: Holly.
Speaker 3: There was even a shift at the ICC last week, Wasn't there There was?
Speaker 2: So that's the International Criminal Court, right, And what they do is they investigate and lay charges on major issues of international concern, right, so think major acts of terrorism, war crimes and what they call crimes against humanity and what they did last week, and it actually shocked a lot of people because everybody's been watching this conflict rage now for seven months, and every now and again things get so horrific as they have this week that it sort of spikes through all the other news stories around all other kinds of consciousness, and everybody saying, how can this still be happening? And how can nobody be stopping it?
Speaker 1: And a lot of.
Speaker 2: Levers have been pulled to try to bring around a ceasefire and to try and stop it, and one of them was what the International Criminal Court did. So after an investigation last week, they issued warrants so literally like warrants for arrest. I mean, it's a little more complicated than that, but that's kind of how it works. For three Hamas leaders in Gaza and Qatar over October the seventh. The charges that they laid for the crimes that they want those three people arrested on are crimes against humanity, including extermination, murder, hostage taking, rape and torture. The thing that shocked a lot of people is they also charged Netanyahu and his defense minister, a guy called Yohav Galant. They charged them with crimes that include the starvation of civilians of a weapon of war, murder, extermination, and intentional attacks on civilians. Obviously, it's international law and its complex, but in theory there's sort of a warrant out for Netanyahu and these other people that if he entered a member state of the ICC, like the UK, for example, he would have to be arrested. There was a lot of fury about that in Israel because they were saying, this is false equivalence. You're putting us in the same bucket as the terrorist organization HAMSS. That's not actually true because the charges are different, the charges are separate. What the International Criminal Court was trying to do is pull one of these levers to kind of get I mean a really flippant way of saying, is like the grown ups in the room, to take this more and more seriously. And it felt like some sympathy was swinging to Netanyahu then, because a lot of people who have any skin in the game were saying, come on, you can't do that. What's happened in Rougher this week has upended all that again because the ICC and the ICJ, and the ICJ is like a court that deals with states and the ICC deals with individuals. But either way, they're trying to step in and say we're laying charges we're doing all these different things. There are emotions being passed at the un and nothing is working. And I think for a lot of people, and I would say maybe particularly young people who are kind of watching all this happen and getting to grips with how the world works, They're like, how can I be seeing this unrelenting horror on my phone, on my TV constantly in my life and nobody is stepping in to stop it.
Speaker 3: We're hearing out louders say that this has fundamentally changed them. I really agree with that assessment. I think seeing some of the images, hearing the stories, the sense that there is no world order that you can do this after the horrors of the twentieth century, that this can be done by a country that, as you say, is allied with the West is very hard to reconcile. I don't think that any of us can grasp the despair of living in Palestine right now, what that must be like.
Speaker 5: When you go on social media, it's very different when you're talking to people in real life. When you're talking to people in real life, the mood is grief and devastation and shock and despair and all of those things. On social media. There is a huge amount of anger, and I also understand that. I understand that when people feel helpless and they feel devastated and they're grieving, anger is on. It's a very normal human reaction to what we're seeing. But it can also fool you into believing that you are doing something with your anger. And I'm not saying there's not a place for anger or that anger.
Speaker 1: Is not appropriate.
Speaker 5: At the outrageous things that we're seeing in the devastating.
Speaker 3: Footage, I don't think we know where to put it.
Speaker 1: No, it's like, what do we do with this?
Speaker 5: What do we do with these images? Is sharing them going to help? How is it going to help?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: What can we in Australia do.
Speaker 3: I've thought about this a lot, and I've had some really productive conversations about putting pressure on politicians. There's a little bit of a lack of transparency about weapon manufacturing and how much Australia has to do with that, and I think that's something that's important. I think Australia pulling every lever that they can is something that when you get a ground swell of you know, I mean, and protest is demonstrating like not in our name. This is not something that any of us. Yeah, and important, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I have to say as a Jewish woman, there's this idea among some people that if you're Jewish, or if you believe in the right of Israel to exist, or if you object to people saying from the River to the sea, you don't care that you are not affected by these images, that you are fine with what's happening in Rafa, or that you cheer it on, or good God. And I just find that so extraordinary and bizarre, the idea that you could only be allowed to care about one group of people and about one type of suffering, and the suffering of only certain.
Speaker 1: People but not other people.
Speaker 5: I've been deeply shocked by that. I've never seen a story like that. And of course, you know, there was a poll that came out last week that said something like seventy five of Australians have empathy for both Palestinians and Israelis because they can see that is Israeli people and what happened on October seventh is not the same as what the Israeli government is doing and what has happened in Rafa. I don't know anyone who's watching what's happening in Rafa, no matter what their religion and what their belief about Israel, and is not devastated by it.
Speaker 2: There's no one braver in my mind than the AID workers, the organizations who are continuing to try and get some practical help on the ground, which can be.
Speaker 3: As we've seen, it's a lethal decisions.
Speaker 2: One of the stories I found very affecting but had a kind of almost hopeful turn this week was actually about the problems of getting aids through in some instances, because one of the crossings that's recently been opened for AID convoys on the West Bank in Israel was getting attacked by extremists who are runsacking and burning the AID trucks to try and stop the AID from getting through, which is devastating right. But then an organization of mostly young Jewish and Arab peace activists have formed a humanitarian guard there to get there to stop those abhorrent attacks and get the AID through. They're called Standing Together. I urge anyone to follow them on social there. They're remarkable. But I just want to say, because it isn't simple. We've been talking on this show and providing links to AID organizations, it isn't simple because there is no more dangerous place in the world right now than Gaza, So it is not as simple as send you money and someone will get a meal. But there are some unbelievably brave organizations. We're going to shout a couple of them out and put them in the show notes you mentioned before Jesse Doctors without Borders, whose doctors on the ground are obviously beyond exhausted and beyond capacity, are working in what's left of the hospitals and health organizations all over Gaza. There's an incredible organization called the World's Central Kitchen, and people might have heard of it because seven of their workers were killed in an IDEA strike a few months ago and they had to suspend operations and what they do and this kind of sounds a bit strange when you first hear about it. They're an organization of volunteer chefs and they go into war zones all over the world and they work with local people and local cooks.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 2: They're literally set up camp kitchens. They know exactly how to do it, exactly what's needed, you know, massive pots sort of the containers that need to go, the sort of food local people want, to eat and they cook it and they distribute it and they've restarted their operations in Gaza now again an incredible organization. Also Plan International, which focuses on children, particularly girls, UNICEF, which is the un charity that gets aided to kids. We're going to put links in the show notes. If you are able to make a donation to any of these organizations, then I urge you to do so.
Speaker 5: This is a fast moving story, so to keep across this news, please tune into our twice daily news podcast, The Quickie, for the latest information.
Speaker 2: We'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 1: You got that, Ohio, skibbity riz?
Speaker 2: What the sigma?
Speaker 1: What does it mean?
Speaker 2: And why are kids saying it?
Speaker 5: In case you missed it, Generation Alpha, who are people younger than fourteen, have made up some new words. Ohio, get sigma, rizzler and skibbity toilet.
Speaker 3: I feel like I might know what rizzler means.
Speaker 1: What's rizzler?
Speaker 3: I feel like it could be related to riz, which we learned about last year, which is krisma, and we all decided I didn't have it, which I still feel weter you don't think, but apparently I do have skibberty toilet.
Speaker 5: So I don't know if I'm a rizzler or not. Now you may be confused, we all have been. Let's just talk about jen Alpha for a while. Examples are Blue Ivy, who is the daughter of Beyond Same jay Z, Kim Kardashian, and Kanye West's eldest daughter, Northwest.
Speaker 3: I say a lot of her tiktoks.
Speaker 5: As I said, the oldest of this generation of fourteen and they were born in the years to twenty ten. And kids their age are making trends and creating slang terms online.
Speaker 1: We don't know what they mean.
Speaker 5: I just texted my daughter, who is eighteen, skibbity toilet. She texted back, what is this? And then she said her girlfriend says, you are not woke. Me are just strange.
Speaker 2: I live with two alphas, obviously my kids are alpha's. And I asked Matilda yesterday, my daughter, fourteen year old daughter, what skibbitty toilet meant? And she was so mortified that I even asked the question. She just immediately got on her phone and sent a voice note to a front This is how they carry on. She got a voice note to a friend being like, mom, just asked me, and she said, you're not going to say it.
Speaker 1: You're gonna say it on the show? Are you're not going to say it?
Speaker 2: And then I asked Billy, who's eleven, and he said, it doesn't really mean anything, you just like say it. He's just say and I was like, I don't stand.
Speaker 5: How do we explain to them? They don't know how language? Were okay, well, not everyone agrees on its meaning.
Speaker 1: It is disputed.
Speaker 5: It originated from the Russian rave band Big.
Speaker 3: See this is the problem are you talking about?
Speaker 1: A remix was made of the song.
Speaker 3: A remix of what by whom?
Speaker 1: Little Big song?
Speaker 5: A remix was made of the song and then repurposed on YouTube by the channel de fuck Boom. Okay, okay, too many steps toilet in the clip, I'm getting to the good part. In the clip, it shows a head in a toilet singing a song. It doesn't really mean anything. It's just an inside joke.
Speaker 2: Apparently I tried to get them to use it in the sentence you.
Speaker 5: Know that I'm going to be saying it constantly and they will never use it again. What's my new Kozi lips? People say, ohio, and that's sort of short for only in Ohio, which means something that's weird or strange or creepy, like us using the phrase skippy toilet. So it's an insult because Ohio is apparently considered to be a bit of a weird place.
Speaker 3: I feels offensive to Ohio and.
Speaker 5: Get or gee it or get get. I don't know it means big bottom. Sigma is widely known as the a teenth letter of the Green alphabet of It, the Greek alphabet, the alphabet that the dead alphas is not widely known by me, but whatever. Apparently it means a man who is popular and dominant, and they may also have traditional values.
Speaker 2: That typical becomes faf as sexist. I think sigma has come out of the manisphere. But I think it also means.
Speaker 1: Kind of cool.
Speaker 3: What's an alphabet?
Speaker 2: I don't think sigmas have to be like musty.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right?
Speaker 5: Oh. A rizzler is a derivative of the word charisma, but it means someone who is a pro at flirting with people or has good game, so it actually has sexual connotations more whereas just saying that someone's got riz is not about sex, it's about their personality.
Speaker 3: Fourteen none of them have good game. None of them are rizzlers. Yeah, they're walking around going skibbty divity toilet it not game.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need to clear up another Internet problem for you in the middle of this very tumultuous time that we're living in. For a few days last week, all of the Internet's wrath was directed at one man, and he was a Brazilian husband who took his children to watch their mother run a race and allowed the kids to run onto the road.
Speaker 1: Did you see this? I did this? Poor man got canceled.
Speaker 5: I was very confused because you know when you see the Internet's angry about something and you're like, Okay, I better get across this. And I'm like, right, so is it a heart woman clip about a woman running across a finish line? And I'm like, oh no, someone's being canceled. It's not a heart woman clip about a woman completing a marathon. It's a cancelation clip about a man behaving badly.
Speaker 1: What did he do?
Speaker 2: What he did and what the world thinks he did two different things?
Speaker 1: Ll maybe not.
Speaker 2: So reason everybody got upset is because this woman who a half marathon is a long way and she'd obviously trained very hard and she was winning.
Speaker 1: And just as she.
Speaker 2: Gets to the line, he like ushers the children into her path and she swerves around them like she doesn't stop. She swerves around them to finish across the world and win her marathon.
Speaker 3: Yay, it nearly cost her the first place.
Speaker 2: And everybody said, how typical that that man was so overlooking after his own children for an hour and forty minutes.
Speaker 1: It was quite funny because she had to run around them.
Speaker 2: Yes, she like swerved, she went around them like that that he couldn't wait to hand them back. And they said, this is so typical of a man stepping on a woman's achievement. This is da da da da da.
Speaker 1: Right, shut up that.
Speaker 2: Well know, I know, I'm going to defend that in a minute. But then what happened is at the weekend, the woman and the man came out and she's called Luciana Lorenzo and he's called Pedro Lorenzo. And Luciana cleared up that what Pedro had done was exactly what she'd asked him to do, and that they'd agreed together. She said, this was a fun well not a fun run, but it was a race in her hometown.
Speaker 1: And nothing fun about him.
Speaker 2: I thought it would be fun for the girls to come and see her do it, like how inspirational. But the thing is is she didn't think she was going to win, right, She just thought she was going to run it. And so she said to Pedro, bring the girls down stand near the finish line, and when I passed, following instruction, the kids can join and we might all run over the finish line together. But then what happened is Luciana was a much better runner than she even thought she was, and she was in first place and she was going to win, and then her husband doushed the kids in front of her, and she was like, get those fuckers out.
Speaker 1: Of the way. I'm gonna win my race.
Speaker 2: So she said, oh. Then when I realized I was going to win, I saw the kids and I was like, no, can't do family time. Now I'm going to cross the line, and she said to the kids, she said, the kids were fine and happy and not upset at all.
Speaker 1: They're proud and excited. So that's good.
Speaker 2: But what I want to say is, yes, it's true that the Internet got very upset with this man for no reason, But why did we all make that assumption. I think that's because we've all been there.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is a classic tale of the Internet finding something that helps them tell a specific story they would like to tell today.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it.
Speaker 3: Actually wasn't about the video and it wasn't about the facts.
Speaker 1: Did the Internet apologize it wasn't about us?
Speaker 3: And you know what I reckon that A really important piece of context was the Harrison Butker graduation speech that had been just the week before.
Speaker 1: We are in a fainting mood.
Speaker 3: We were rile, we were pissed. We were like, women can't have anything even when we graduate. It's just like your greatest joy is going to be your kids and your husband and being a wife and a mother. And then we see a woman running to a finish line and it's like the husband and the children descend and it's like that woman should kick those people out of the way to have her moment of glory.
Speaker 5: It's like, back off, this isn't about you. Yes, that was a bit like there are a lot of videos when Taylor's we've started her concert about people proposing. During the song love story, like you know, marry me Juliet is the line, and that was the moment in that song that a lot of people dropped to one knee. That's if you're going to propose, you're going to do it then. And so that's kind of been happening all over the tour and a lot of people were really pushed back about it. And it started with Taffy Bredessa akne amazing piece about being at a Taylor Swift concert and she said, and she acknowledged that she was projecting, but a lot of Swift he spoke about this that she took something that belonged to that woman, which is that song meaning something to her? And he imposed himself, honest.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what people thought were happening in this video, and they also I think mothers in particular looked at it and went, this is like when I just want to go to the gym for an hour on a Saturday morning and I get all this, when's it my turn to have some time off? And it's like when you get a promotion and it's all like, what are you gonna do about childcare? And when you want to go away for a weekend and it's like, well, are you going to organize drop off sporting things?
Speaker 1: Who's eating?
Speaker 2: What who's going where like?
Speaker 3: And you're like, I'd like to go for a walk, and your husband's like family time. I think your walk sound family time.
Speaker 2: Basically, we all projected our shit onto Luciano and Pedro, who were actually.
Speaker 5: Doing absolutely fine. Jesseye, I saw you're on the project last night. Who was looking after Luna while you were gallivanting around?
Speaker 3: Look? I didn't even consider Luna. Oh no, it was my husband. Yeah, no, he was babysitting exactly right, So that when mummy works it's not a family affair. Luna's not invited.
Speaker 2: One unlimited out loud access. We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday exclusively for Mamma Mia subscribers. Follow the link at the show notes to get us in your ears five days a week, and a huge thank you to all our current subscribers.
Speaker 5: Should all workers get onhappiness leave? That is the headline on a Guardian story this week that highlighted the policy of a Chinese supermarket chain called Pangdong Lie, whose founder is offering all employees up to ten days of unhappiness leave. According to the South China Morning Post, You Dong Liae said at an industry conference, I want every staff member to have freedom. Everyone has times when they're not happy, So if you're not happy, do not come to work. Staff can take unhappy days when they want, in addition to normal sick and holiday leave. Entitlements and management cannot refuse, so it is in addition to it is so in the olden days, if you wanted to take a day off work and you weren't seek you would chuck a SICKI. I don't know why you would chuck one. That's very Australian, but I love that I chucked many a siki from school. Learn how to forge my Mum's signature, work to treat. But in twenty twenty four, there is a long list of leave that employees can take. There's annual leave and sick leave, cares leave, parental leave, compassionate and bereavement leave, family and domestic violence leave in some organizations, and if you've been somewhere a long time, you can also take something called long service leave. Some companies also offer extra days for menstrual leave. There are days for gender reassignment leave. Of course, there's also parental leave. At Mum and Me or we offer a day of birthday leave. It is called your Mum and me day on your birthday? But would you take unhappiness leave Holly?
Speaker 2: Well, do you have to tell everybody that you're unhappy? I have to go?
Speaker 1: I don't like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, if I'm really unhappy, I don't really want to tell everybody because.
Speaker 3: Then your boss feels obligated to say really unhappy about and then you've got to tell them, and they don't care, and you don't want to tell them, and then what are they going to make you feel better?
Speaker 1: Isn't it just called a mental health day?
Speaker 2: Mental health day or a doner day, or whatever we might want to call them. I'm fascinated to know if we've evolved past sickies, because now culturally we've embraced the idea of self care, we've embraced the idea of fighting burnout, We've embraced all those things. So now if you're just like, I really need a day, is it okay? Or do you still have to do things like we used to have to do in the old days where the day that you come back after the SICKI you have to try.
Speaker 1: And remember to talk like this for a certain.
Speaker 3: Portion of the day and keep in line what you were sick with you can't say, oh, the headache was really bad when apparently you're on the toilet all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Do some workplaces have a thing where you can't text that you're sick, you have to ring?
Speaker 3: Oh the text has saved me many a time.
Speaker 2: Very recently, that was a big debate but seems to have been resolved. So do you think that SICKI is dead? And therefore it doesn't really matter what you call the leave. It's just leave that you can take.
Speaker 3: Well, you have personal slash care as leave, right, So if I'm fashioning a text, I will often detail what it is. So I've got a really bad cough, can't come to work today, whatever. But if you just sent a message, if you've received a message as a manager and it just said, can't come to work today, see you tomorrow, does that sound.
Speaker 1: Do you have to be a reason still rumpy? I would be grumpy.
Speaker 2: I don't manage people anymore, but I did for many years, And if you just sent me can't come today sorry, I'd be like, I need more detail. If you ever text me here and say you're sick. She wants a lot of detail, and that's not because she wants to prove you wrong. It's just because she thinks she's a doctor for helpful advice. She will immediately say, oh, well, when did it come on? And what do you think stand exactly?
Speaker 5: And I also want to know when did you start feeling sick and how recently.
Speaker 1: Did I see you.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's very, very germ phobic like that. There's a bit of me that loves it and a bit of me that hates it. Right, because what we have recognized is that rest is important if you want to get the best out of people. The idea of work work till you fall over. We have kind of moved culturally certainly, and I mean, I know this might be a bit generational. People have moved past that. They're like, to get the best out of your employees and get the best out of people, you've got to let them have a bit of a break. Sometimes.
Speaker 5: I wust to let my kids have mental health days.
Speaker 2: I know at school, I don't do that.
Speaker 1: Do you believe in it?
Speaker 2: I don't do it. I used to be very strict. I was thinking this yesterday because my daughter had a day of school yesterday because she wasn't feeling well. And I said to brentle my leg a sore.
Speaker 3: Throat, I said to Brent, do you have a sore throat?
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, my leg had to be falling off right to be allowed to stay home. No, absolutely, no. Sickies weren't tolerated at all in my house. And that's because I had two working parents. And obviously, once you get to a certain age where you can just be home alone, but right up until then, you being is a massive problem for them. I remember my mum was a teacher through a lot of that time, and I sometimes had to go and sit at the back of her classroom. I had a lot of memories of that, which was punishment enough in itself for you to never want to throw a because watching your mom be a teacher is kind of mortifying. So I think it's quite ingraining me and I don't let them have mental health days, but I do that assessment that you do where you go, maybe you're not really sick, but you're really tad. Is it an important day? What's on today? Will you miss anything important?
Speaker 4: Da?
Speaker 1: Da da da?
Speaker 2: And when you've got kids with certain issues, you've got a lot of appointments and all those things. So I'm not as strict about it as my parents were, but I'm strict about it on myself because I think I grew up with that ingrained in me and I've never in my life just called up and said I'm not coming to work today because I'm sad.
Speaker 1: Like I couldn't even do it, could you imagine? Wouldn't go down well in Manchester. I couldn't even do it.
Speaker 2: But do I admire it and think that maybe we should all like give ourselves because really the thing about this, even from a boss's perspective, people is you're had a good job, but I know, but you're no good to me if you come in here, you're just miserable and moping around and not doing anything and hanging around in the kitchen winging.
Speaker 3: And like if I'm sad, though, I think I would rather be at work and then spend my happy days off, Like why would I want to spend my day, my sad day at home? It feels like, oh.
Speaker 1: Question, bring it to work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing. I did read this incredible article in the Guardian and it was all about the idea of a life's abatical. So if you're unhappy, don't stop it. One day, take a year. So Emma Gannon took a year off and she has a new book called The Year of Doing Nothing, which is my goal.
Speaker 5: So that's like eat, pray, love, Like it's easy to do that. If you get a massive book advance and.
Speaker 3: You just write a book doing last thing.
Speaker 2: It annoys me about those kind of books. I love e m Gunn and I'm not criticizing her, but people who tell you that they weren't doing anything and they were writing a book, mate, you are not helping, Like writing a book is a lot of work.
Speaker 1: But I found useful in this.
Speaker 3: It said what you should do right if you want to rest, if you're going to throw your unhappiness day or if you're going to throw a sickie is rest is the opposite to what you do in the office all day. So I was saying that if you're a teacher, for example, and your job is giving a lot of instructions, your day off or your holiday has to involve you giving no instructions. So like someone else decides where you're going to have dinner, and then like because you have sort of decision fatigue. And I think it's the same with us. It's like when we recharge because our jobs are so much talking and quite social in nature. It's like our rest has to look like sitting in a dark room bedro rocking back and forth. I thought that was very, very true.
Speaker 2: I've got a really good episode of mid coming up next week friends about burnout, and that's exactly what the author Castro may say says. Rest is relative to everybody. Like the idea that rest just means laying on a couch is not true if.
Speaker 5: You're all flexing your podcasts and your projects and stuff. I this week got up early to go do an interview for No Filter, which is my podcast about the seven different types of rest.
Speaker 1: And she didn't show up, and I was very tired because I got up very was she resting? I don't know. I wasn't happy though.
Speaker 5: I wonted did that thing because I had to get up early. I woke up all through the night, like three o'clock, four o'clock, five o'clock.
Speaker 1: Yep. Should have taken an unhappiness day.
Speaker 3: I should have out louders by now. I really hope you've all watched it. The idea of you and Hathaway. Honestly, if you're having an unhappiness day. May I suggest watching that film on repeat?
Speaker 2: What if the outlouders said that they watched it on their dourner day in nash And we.
Speaker 5: Should talk about this at some stage, maybe on a different subs episode about the return of digital penetration as a sex scene.
Speaker 1: You didn't expect me to say that digital penetration? Did I miss the fingering in that film? You did?
Speaker 3: When?
Speaker 1: Did that happen? Also in British? And it's everywhere that I look at the moment. It's a trend. Let's do a sub episode on fingering out loud as you heard any focustomer.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember the I'm sorry I say, guys.
Speaker 1: Skibbity toilet.
Speaker 3: Okay. Maa watched it and gave Holly and I homework to watch sh and then we had an interesting chat.
Speaker 5: Rely wasn't watching it closely enough because she missed the fingering scene?
Speaker 1: Yes, it must have been quick. Okay, I'm.
Speaker 3: That yesterday subscriber episode. If you want to watch it all about the idea of you. Here is a sneak peek.
Speaker 2: The idea here right is an interesting one. He's twenty four, she's forty he's famous. She's not. But she looks twenty four and sher body's like a twenty four year old body. So a lot of the tension there. And there is a bit of a scene in there where she's supposed to feel really self conscious about being in the swimmers in front of hot young girls and things, and.
Speaker 3: She stands in front of the mirror and I'm like, oh no, I'm a victorious secret angel.
Speaker 1: All right, that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm calling time. We're done for today.
Speaker 1: MIA's brought up fingering.
Speaker 2: We all need to go back to our desks.
Speaker 1: We are going to be back in your ears on.
Speaker 2: Friday, when we'll be doing one of our off the news episodes and sorting out all your friendship issues and ours, especially after that conversation with enormous thanks to our amazing team Emmeline Gazillas. The assistant producer of our show is Charlie Blackman. We've had audio production from their porges and a special thanks to our wonderful brand manager, Carrie Scott Jackson. And we'll see you back here on Friday.
Speaker 1: Bye bye bye.
Speaker 5: Shout out to any Muma Mia subscribers listening if you love the show and want to support us as well. Subscribing to MoMA mia is the very best way to do so. There is a link in the episode description