Speaker 1: I get a team. It's Craig Anthony Harpret's the You Project. I hope you're bloody fantastic. It's six o five in the PM in the thriving metropolis of Melbourne, down the bottom of Australia. And as you know we have this show goes now into are you sitting down? Are you ready? This show goes into about ninety countries and we have people from all over the world who, for whatever reason, choose to tune in. So thank you to all you people. And I chat. I would say at least three or four times a week I chat to someone who isn't in Australia, and today I'm doing exactly that. His name is doctor Carlos Davidovich. Did I get that right?
Speaker 2: Doc? P perfect?
Speaker 1: And where are you? Tell my audience where you are?
Speaker 2: I'm in Madrid, Spain right now?
Speaker 1: You're in Madrid. I thought you said I'm in my dream, so I said, what a great place to be.
Speaker 2: Well, that happens all the time.
Speaker 1: Now, could you tell my crew? I'll try to speak slowly. Is the Australian accent hard for you?
Speaker 2: Depends? No, I can't understand you.
Speaker 1: I'll try it well, that's we're probably about equal in terms of understanding each other, although you, I think you're probably easier to understand the me. Tell my audience a little bit about your background and who you are, doc, if you would, and what you do.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jess in a nutshell, I mean born and raised in Argentina. I'm originally from Argentina. I'm MD, medical doctor. I work as medical doctor and also I was an executive in business in pharmaceutical, mainly in biotech, so quiet niche area. In one moment, I decided to move to Europe for personal reasons, not for work, and I had to reinvent it myself absolutely and I ended doing what I'm doing today.
Speaker 2: I'm executive coach.
Speaker 3: I work with companies very practical way, and what I do is to bring I would say practical tips coming from neuroscience.
Speaker 2: I don't talk about science.
Speaker 3: I talk about I would say human behavior with the support of neuroscience and that how that works in organizations and business.
Speaker 2: So what I do is try to bring common topics.
Speaker 3: Could be feedback, could be a growth mindset, could be the process of changing the brain. And then to share I would say the most accurate and possible practical tips on how to deal with that in an organization. As you know, Craig, the issues in organization is not about the technicality, it's not about the products. It's about how people relates with people could be your team, or could be your clients or customers. But in the end, it's about human behavior and that is what happened. That's my specialization to say, to say it in a way, and I work now here, but I was living seven years in Canada. I work with the rest of Europe Asia now from my home, and that is another I would.
Speaker 2: Say positive side effect of the pandemic. I mean now we can work from home and all over the world and people accept it.
Speaker 3: So that's what I do coaching, and I give a lot of talk and lectures. I would say, more of the election workshops or different topics applying neuroscience in organization.
Speaker 2: That's what I do.
Speaker 1: What do you think? I mean? I think one of the things that everyone has in common, whether it's at work or at home, whether it's personal or professional doc is that if not everyone, nearly everyone wants to be a better version of themselves. You know, whether that's mentally, emotionally, physiologically, you know, health, business, career. What do you think some of the and I know there's a diverse cross section of reasons, but what are some of the bigger barriers that get in the way of us and our possibilities, us and our potential us and the hard performance version of us.
Speaker 2: It's an excellent question.
Speaker 3: And Okay, in the next four hours I will expell you.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody, get comfortable. This could take a while.
Speaker 2: So let me think just a few seconds.
Speaker 3: I will say that the main barrier and I will go I will say cliche is the main barrier is ourselves. It's I coach many, many, many, many people, and where you can find is this. I like to use the metaphor many of us due to the way we deal with ourselves, the way we criticize ourselves so much.
Speaker 2: We go through life at the end doing what we want to do.
Speaker 3: But it's like the metaphor is like walking with a backpack full of stones, so it takes so much energy. And my work always is to help people to at least to take some stones out of the backpack. And going back to your question, the key point is again I will say another cliche is how much do you understand yourself, how much you listen to your inner narrative and you can identify the different characters that we have inside.
Speaker 2: I like to present this. I have a metaphor of multiple.
Speaker 3: Brains, so different brains. In the end we will work as one. Okay, I mean they are all intertwined. But it's about we have different voices inside all of us, and we are healthy.
Speaker 2: It's not schizophrenia, so this is normal.
Speaker 3: Question always with my clients is hey, let's identify which of your inner voice are you giving too much power? For instance, is the one that is criticized your inner critic?
Speaker 2: How much power will you give to your inner critic, because a little bit.
Speaker 3: Is okay, because we'll push you to move forward when what is too much will frize you and you will stop doing.
Speaker 2: So. What is your level of feeling of guilt?
Speaker 3: Because I like to explain that, for instance, guilt and responsibility is a polarity.
Speaker 2: They are the two extreams of the same line.
Speaker 3: What I want to say is what you want to say is, hey, man, if you feel guilt, I cannot avoid that.
Speaker 2: You will feel guilt if your level of guiltness is.
Speaker 3: Too high, But move as soon as possible to the responsibility side. Most of them, they have a completely opposite emotional impact. I feel guilt is a negative emotion. I don't want to move I don't want to make a mistake again. If I feel responsible means I can do it, and definitely I will be more productive.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, correct, Yeah, hundred percent. I feel like sometimes, Doc, there's a bit of space between self loathing and self awareness. You know, self awareness is I could do better, I got that wrong. I know what I did wrong. I'm going to make a different decision or take a different path, embrace the new behavior, ask a better question, whatever, Whereas self loathing is I'm an idiot, I always get this wrong. I'm always you know that, blah blah. I think the difference for me, the challenge over the years, because I can have a tendency to beat myself up, right, is to recognize what I did wrong, acknowledge it, but not immerse myself in self loathing.
Speaker 3: You know, absolutely, But this is the way to hold yourself back. And like I told you before, if you can, I like to say, can we delete this inner critic voice?
Speaker 2: Maybe not?
Speaker 3: Can we control and manage that voice? The answer is yes, it's huge. Yes, Yes, in my personal experience, because I also have that voice inside. I learned through years, through years, I learned how to deal with it. First of all, conclusion number one, that inner critic voice that you call self loading is not your friend, is not playing at your side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pulling you down.
Speaker 3: Yes, So at the moment you can second concept, this inner critic voice is not you.
Speaker 2: I like to define it's a virus that got into you when you were very young, when you're very very, very very young. This is this is a relationship, the.
Speaker 3: Combination of family environment plus your own personality. It's a combination. So it's not blaming the outside. It's a combination. That combination allows you to let these virus to get into you, this inner critic and will stay with you the rest of your life in post or syndrome. Call it whatever you want. At the moment you understand that is not helping you, then you can start doing something. In my personal right, I will say, what I learned is how to download.
Speaker 2: The volume of this voice.
Speaker 3: Number one, so don't and I like to use the image is take the power away from this voice.
Speaker 2: Don't use so much puck. We give the power to this voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yea.
Speaker 3: And the second thing is, okay, I will I will confess. I will do a confession. My technique with myself that I share with my clients is.
Speaker 2: By the fault.
Speaker 3: When I hear that inner voice criticizing me and pull me myself, I do exactly the opposite of my voice is saying, by the fault, I not even think about it. When the voice says, don't do it, I do it. When the voice says go that direction, I go.
Speaker 2: The opposite direction. And so far it's working.
Speaker 3: What I mean is, let's get away of what Kaneman called the system one.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember.
Speaker 3: System one is about instinctual reactions. It's about survival reactions.
Speaker 2: And that is full of stereotype, full of assumption, full of biases.
Speaker 3: Yes, that inner critic voice loves these kind of things because it's leveraging the power of those biases. Yeah, to hold ourselves back, and that is what we need to work against. So again, all of us, we did in the end many things in life, but the effort was too high, too much effort. And that's why I use a metaphor, all the backpack full of stones.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, and what is I mean. I love this whole kind of metacognitive journey of thinking about how we think and thinking about you know, even for me, like I was a morbidly obse kid, right, So I was a fat kid at school and had some good experiences and bad experiences, and I grew up in rural Australia in the country, I was an any child. I had all of these mostly good experiences, right, But in a large way, how I think and how I s the world and even my beliefs and my values, and a lot of that is at least in part a byproduct of just where I've been and what I've seen. And then I think most of us don't actually do a deep dive into our own thinking where we ask ourselves where where did that belief come from? I didn't choose that belief? Why do I?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And even that whole self awareness piece doc of realizing that I'm looking at the world through my own lens, so what I'm seeing is my version of the world. It's like you and I are in the same conversation right now, but we're not in the same experience because you're the yeah, And it's like if we have twenty thousand people listen to this. Probably nobody is going to have for the entirety of the show an identical experience. You know, you and I are the stimulus or the stimuli. And then they're going to process the data and some of them will say that was great, and some of them will say that was crap.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that is correct. This is normal, and we need to accept this normality. I like to call it the ripple effect, you know, so because we can say whatever we believe or we want to say, but we need to be I will say, humble enough and open and flexible enough to.
Speaker 2: Respect other people's perceptions.
Speaker 3: So and stop saying you see it like me, right, No you don't, yes, and I will know. I will bring another thing that's very known. Right, we don't see the world as it is. We see it as we are, so all of us we have different components of our lens. This is normal. At the moment that we accept the normality of these things, then we can deal with them. At the moment we fight with those facts that are around us all the time, we are generating the problem ourselves.
Speaker 2: You mentioned one.
Speaker 3: Word, Craig that I would say is essential on the whole story called metacognition. I didn't want to bring the concept, but not to make a complicated Metacognition is thinking about thinking.
Speaker 2: Another word, is the typical situation that.
Speaker 3: I'm doing something and in one moment I ask myself what am I doing? That is metacognition that is observed myself at the moment I can observe myself. This is a fantastic I will say, sign that I can control myself in a positive way. Yes, I'm going back to the different inner voices that plays inside of us. If I let my reptilian brain very primitive, very survival, very is zero sum game.
Speaker 2: Give the power to that voice. My life will.
Speaker 3: Be quite miserable just to say me one way. But if I'm in control, I will try to highlight positive emotions. I will try that my positive emotions will hijack in a positive way in my rational brain. Let's put it like this, and I will leave my survival brain or voice just for emergency when really I'm in danger and I need to survive and I cannot think. But please today, based on what happened in certain part of the world, and mainly based on the news, the news knows very clearly, if I can aim the reptilian brain or survival mode, we will sell more newspapers.
Speaker 2: It's very simple.
Speaker 3: Active activating the survival mechanism of people means I'm the owner of their will and I can decide what I want and they cannot escape from my power.
Speaker 2: Makes sense what I'm saying. I don't want to make it complicated.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's great, it's great. You know what fascinates me doc that people are drawn to attracted to watching bad news or sad news or like And I don't know, I'm sure you know this, but a few times around the world they've tried to run news services like thirty minutes News that only presented good news. It was all news, but it was only good news. And they all failed because no one wanted to watch it.
Speaker 2: No I wanted to watch it. This is a very basic understanding of human behavior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so remember that the brain has many basic rules.
Speaker 2: Now that one of them is the brain needs to needs.
Speaker 3: To have a plan about the future. It's creating plan of the future all the time. The brain doesn't care that the plan is going to happen. What the brain cares that has a plan. The reason number why that's the question.
Speaker 2: The why is because.
Speaker 3: Then the brain feels that can do some kind of prevention, can be prepared for that future. Okay, negative news is the one that will activate faster, sooner and a more powerful way my brain because my brain will sense will not go to the details of them, that doesn't matter, but the brain will feel, hey, there is a danger. It's a threat around me. Then I need to activate all my protection of my defensive mode or survival mode to be prepared. That's the only reason. And I will say a joke now that people.
Speaker 2: Love the Weather channel. Tell me why people will like the Weather.
Speaker 1: Channel complaining.
Speaker 3: Because no, no, because the weather is telling you about what's going to come, what is going to happen, telling you about the future, then it can be prepared.
Speaker 1: So remember, we love certain We love certainty, don't we. We love predictability. We love to know what's coming.
Speaker 2: That goes in the same bucket.
Speaker 3: And I like to say that uncertainty is the kryptonite of the brain.
Speaker 2: Uncertainty.
Speaker 3: The brain hates uncertainty for one simple reason, cannot be prepared. The key negative impact of the pandemic besides the medical issue.
Speaker 2: We'll not go there and millions of people die.
Speaker 3: The main psychological and emotional impact was uncertainty.
Speaker 2: Yes, was that nobody knew what was coming.
Speaker 3: Nobody knew what's going to happen. Everybody was making stories about in a month, it's over to months whatever. So what I'm trying to say there was no way to be prepared, and that is that is very danger for our behavior and for our emotional stability. So when I coach people let's go, let's go, let's get away from the pandemic and go back to normal situation and company, the way that I can help them to come down and be in control is getting the right information. And because because information is what gives you the opportunity to do something, That's what I mean. So in another word, when I work a lot in how to neutralize uncertainty, because uncertainty is what plays absolutely against our behavior, our decision making process. And you know much better than me that we live in a Voca world, right, I mean the the Vuka acronym. You know, and and and and now even more I will say now that jump to the next level booka world. So at the moment that we accept that the Voca world is the normal, the new normal.
Speaker 2: Then we can start feeling differently.
Speaker 3: So what I'm trying to say is always there is a way to deal with the external world, but we need to try to define properly what's going on another thing.
Speaker 2: Sorry, go ahead, please correct.
Speaker 1: No, sorry, I was just gonna say. Also, I mean one of the the practical realities of the human experience too, is that a lot of what I need to deal with, you need to deal with, we all need to deal with, is that moving forward, there will be uncertainty, there will be discomfort, there will be you know, there will be challenges, and so like part of our survival is to be able to navigate all of the unknowns, the uncertain, the unfamiliar, the uncomfortable, you know, because without that capacity to be able to adapt, because the world is dynamic and things are not set in stone and we can't predict the future, it mostly Yeah. So while so while like uncertainty might be kryptonite for the brain, I feel like in another way oppositionally, it's almost a gift in that it helps me become adaptable and resilient and capable, and it builds skill and understanding and confidence, you know, Like because for me, so much of what I've had to do over the last thirty years, developing businesses and all of the things I've done, it's been fraught with uncertainty. Like it's been, there's been more unknown than known. And in the middle of that, in the middle of all of that, you're like, well, I need to adapt, I need to learn, I need to evolve, I need to get better, I need to understand. So it's like this juxtaposition. While the brain's terrified of it, but in terms of our potential, it's almost necessary for development.
Speaker 3: You're so right, Craig, and I want to complete my previous idea. Uncertainty is kryptonite for the brain at the moment that the brain is not accepting uncertainty as the normal way of living. Right And based on your comment, and I love it so at the moment that the brain understands that.
Speaker 2: And again another applichie that change is the only thing that is stable.
Speaker 3: At the moment that we understand this, then we can deal We can deal with the external world in a different way.
Speaker 2: One of my.
Speaker 3: More requested workshop today is called the New Queue. I'm sure you heard about it. So it's not about the IQ, is not about the EQ. Now we talk about.
Speaker 2: The AQ or adaptability question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: Adaptability question is not about resilience.
Speaker 3: Resilience one component And and do you know what is the key factor of people with a high AQ or high adaptability question? The key component is the ability to unlearn.
Speaker 1: I love that, love that.
Speaker 2: How much am I prepared to give away knowledge that is not useful anymore? How much I can really accept that I need to study again? How much? How much I access? It's not studying again because it's not starting from zero.
Speaker 3: I mean we are, we have an experience, but that I need to learn something new.
Speaker 2: But to be able to learn.
Speaker 3: If I don't und learn, I cannot accept it. I like to quote one professor from Singularity University, and may you heard about it? A Singularity university is the one that they described is AQ. They say, don't let your past success will interfere in your future success.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: We realize so much in my past. And I will tell you why.
Speaker 3: I don't want to complicate a story, and tell me if my Spanglish is okay?
Speaker 1: So far okay, But you're going pretty good. You're doing better than I am.
Speaker 3: So the point is how I understand that that is exactly what you said, that my capacity to adapt to these new circumstances is what makes me strong.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the only way. There is no other way.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the IQ you need to have the minimal IQ to get a job, you know, I mean, okay, EQ is about connection, communication, emotional intell But the AQ, they say, and it's true, is the only one that will take you to.
Speaker 2: The next level of success.
Speaker 1: Mmmmmm yeah, one hundred percent. I love it. And it's it's not something that's spoken about enough. Like I talk a lot, you probably like this analogy. My My undergrad degree is exercise science or exercise physiology. So I spent a lot of time. I owned gyms. Do you call them gyms in gymnasiums? So I owned a bunch of gyms. But you know, the basic premise of getting strong and strength training, and you know resistance training is that you do something hard, you work against resistance to create an addit an adaptive response, and the response is strength and muscular endurance and power and speed and muscle growth, hypertrophy, all of these things. But all of this growth and development and improvement and adaptation comes out of doing something hard, you know, and it's the same. It's the same with your brain. It's the same with with you know, in your career. It's the same with developing as a speaker or a podcaster or a you know, it's the same principle. You work against resistance and eventually, you know, you adapt and you start to develop.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, I mean, but again, the step number one is to accept this circumstance and to accept. And when I work with people regarding change and people start very reluctant, I mean more changes, I don't know if I can do it. But the first step I go to, the first place I go to is write down a list of changes that you already went through and that you were able to overcome. It's funny because we don't really that.
Speaker 1: Yes, so the.
Speaker 3: Fear of a new change still is there, even though we already we already adapted yourself to many changes. Yes, I could say, I mean almost every day. When we think that we have routines is drong. We don't have routines. We need to every day we are creating something. It's an illusion of routines that we repeat the same thing. But every day can change. Every our life and in one second can change in one minute, you know what I mean. So, what I'm trying to say is, AAA, let's be aware what is really happening every day in your life. And let's then understand that you were already adaptable enough to stay alivee for instance.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, and the point is how to take this to the next level?
Speaker 3: So how to be proactive in this adaptability?
Speaker 2: Cautioned?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, how to understand this as as a normal Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. One of the questions I ask audiences is how do I stay productive and proactive and effective when I can't be bothered? You know, when I'm when I'm lacking motivation, when I'm not inspired, Because that's the thing is when ow when when our fuel is inspiration and motivation. As soon as we're not in that state, you know, we tend to drop the ball metaphorically, we stend, we tend to stop doing you know. So I think the real challenge is staying How do I keep doing what I need to do when the initial enthusiasm has died. You know, we see this with New Year's resolutions.
Speaker 2: Absolutely gets excited for a week. Yeah, there is a trap there.
Speaker 3: What you're saying, and I will let me play levels advocate. I need to have enth enthusiasm to do something. In the answer is I need to be motivated. The answer is here. Yes, but let's get away to look all the time for a shoot of dopamine.
Speaker 2: Yes, because that is the trap.
Speaker 3: Yes, So motivation many times is something unfollow I try to get you know what I mean, I objective or goals whatever that maybe in the way, I will not be happy all the time. I will not be excited all the time. When you talk about GM, when I talk about physical activity, tell me that everybody is happy doing physical activity and what.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile they are doing that? It's not true. I have an objective, no health.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wonder my health will be better. I want to see my body in a better shape. But in the process, yes, it's not gonna be nice all the time. So I need to accept that that is part of the process. When you say how to get motivated all the time? Okay, wait, wait, wait, wait wait. First of all, stop looking for external motivations. Work deeply on what really motivates you in this life, because the inner motivations is the only one that.
Speaker 2: Will last longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so all of.
Speaker 2: Us will love carrot and steaky you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, I receive a prah, but that is short term benefits.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One thing I wanted to share with you is regarding adaptability.
Speaker 3: So I'm bringing something I was going to tell it and I didn't think when we talk about adaptability and we talk about this resistance for the change, yes, that will take me to a lack of motivation. There is one question I need to as to myself in which way I build my identity the phinician of who I am.
Speaker 2: What I'm going is to the following thing.
Speaker 3: Sure, the resistant to change is because I want to stay in the same place because I feel that's my identity.
Speaker 2: That is a mistake.
Speaker 3: If I understand that my identity is my capacity to be adaptable, then I can change.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 1: That is great.
Speaker 3: My power of inadaptable, then there's no problem with changes. And in another way, I like to tell my clients, keep your.
Speaker 2: Eyes very open.
Speaker 3: To find those motivations, to find those objectives and whatever has happened to you in daily basis. Don't try to create something from nothing. What I'm trying to say is you want to change your one hundred.
Speaker 2: And eighty degree do it? Where's the problem.
Speaker 3: But let's fine, what is the real motivation to do that change? I mean, you're totally correct. What you said is absolutely correct. Without motivation, without enthusiasm, we cannot do a thing. So what I'm saying is when I hear mainly politician or whatever they say from the last thirty years, I always saying the same thing when they say like this.
Speaker 2: You know, because.
Speaker 3: I I said, oh, poor guy, my goodness. So you never change, you never thought a different way. If you are thinking the same way for thirty years, man, you're dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Going back to your going back to your topic about keep ourselves motivated.
Speaker 2: This is not easy, and I need to accept that it's not easy. I need to accept the life is about.
Speaker 3: Apps and down and I need to learn how to deal with those apps and down.
Speaker 1: Yes, So you know you're talking about like when we talk about goals and objectives, we talk about the thing that we want. So we talk about the what, the what, what do you want? And then underneath that is the why.
Speaker 2: The why is the key.
Speaker 1: The why is the key because that's what you really want. It's like I say, I want to lose twenty kilograms. What I really want is I want to be less self conscious. What I really want is I want to be more attractive to a potential mate. What I really want is to be able to run around with my kids. What I really you know. And then when I get another level down, what I really want is to be happy. And I think that on some level, I think that in this in this hypothetical, I think that weight loss will be a conduit to that other thing, or I think a wage increase will be a conduit to the thing that I you know. But so it's trying to it's getting clear about what you want, but perhaps more importantly, getting clearer about why you want that thing, because I think that sometimes we're so driven to achieve certain outcomes, and then we achieve them and we feel empty because the thing we thought it would do for us it does not. We thought that external thing would create this internal reality and it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because remember that we project our future based on our past. Yeah, so then we will never create something really different. So that's why I'm saying we need to plan, but I will. I will call a friend of mine that always when I was too much in planning and too much saying we need to do this. He always told me, Hey, Carlos, stop, there live space for the magic. And what I want to say is you need to plan, you need to have objective, but be very open your eyes and your mind to what's happening in the way. I'm sure you know the concept of setting depity. One of the most important discoveries in the world was certain depity. People looking for A and finding B that c depity, you know, but they were able to see They were able to see it because they were open minded to see it. So please, when we walk in certain directions, stop expecting that you will know every single stable's going to happen.
Speaker 2: No, No, you need to know what you're going to walk.
Speaker 3: And then pay attention because many new things will come.
Speaker 2: In your way.
Speaker 1: Yeah that if you are.
Speaker 2: Not open minded, you will not see it at all. I don't know. I don't want to complicate the story. What I want to say is.
Speaker 3: We cannot create a future without having that space for the unknown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sometimes that's where the joy is. Sometimes exactly, that's.
Speaker 2: That's what the magic. That's what the magic is.
Speaker 1: Hey, just quickly, so a couple of things I want to reverse over a little bit. So interestingly, I also talk about the importance of unlearning. Tell me one, tell me one, tell me one thing, Doc, that you needed to unlearn, something that for you you did, perhaps a one id on or something that yeah, you needed to let go of or changed your mind on.
Speaker 3: The first idea comes to my mind is my career. I started as a medical doctor, a very traditional one, and I thought already I knew my path, let's say, and my life was exactly exactly the opposite. I cannot tell you how different it was from my Many people ask me.
Speaker 2: Many times, many people. Okay, they asked me, Carlos.
Speaker 3: Your medical doctor, how you now you're a coach and doing what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: And the first reaction inside is thank god I was able to be open enough to understand that my past that was not that learning process was just part of the story, not the whole story, and not to stick myself to one specific identity let's go use that word that would have would have kept me in one place that definitely was not a happy place. Yeah. And then and then I left Argentina and then went to Europe and then Canada.
Speaker 2: I tell you the truth, Craig. If you ask me.
Speaker 3: How that happened, the answer is I don't know so, but but I have some credit. Okay, was no blind. My credit was to be attentive, and at the moment that those possibilities came in my way, I made the decision. I take full responsibility. I was not I was not able to predict the future. None of us are able. So be prepared for this unknown because this is this unknown is what happened every moment in our life.
Speaker 2: When people say it's so boring my life, I say, but are you really?
Speaker 3: I mean, are you observing? Are you open enough to see what's going on around you? Are you listening what happened with people around you? And if not, start walking away? I mean do something. Yeah, so stop waiting that that happiness will come to you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You need you need to build, You need to build it somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, we're very much creatures of habit sometimes as well. But I think also one other thing that interested me. You were talking about identity, and we've also taught spoken about mediccognition, and like, what I find interesting is that a lot of people get their sense of self or identity from their beliefs or their job or their ideas. And so when your identity is tied into your beliefs or your ideas, or your philosophy or your theology or your ideology whatever any of the ologies, when your identity is intertwined with that, you pretty much become unteachable because the moment that anyone questions what you think or your belief you feel like you're being attacked, and they're attacking your identity. So like, if I believe that whatever, this is the best way to worship God, or this is the only or this is the best way to live, unequivocally, this is the best way every human should live like me. This is the best way to eat, this is the best way to exis eyes, and this is the best way to manage your body. And I unequivocally believe that, and I think that I am right. Then I also assume that everyone who disagrees with me is wrong.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's like a very arrogant, self righteous power that we put ourselves in, unknowingly perhaps, but it's it's like, when your beliefs are so intertwined with your personality and your identity, it's very hard to unlearn.
Speaker 3: Absolutely unless our learning is part of your identity.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we can adopt that.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you use already several times the word belief. And you know you know better than me as a human being, we cannot be alive without belief.
Speaker 2: We can't.
Speaker 3: So we need to have a constructor of the world, whatever it is. I don't care, but we need to have an image of the world. Those are beliefs for good or a bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The basic understanding that is so hard to understand is if I was able to build my belief anyone else can do it, but not necessarily in my way.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I need so today.
Speaker 3: You know the E and I diversity, equality and and inclusion is a big topic for good or a bad.
Speaker 2: Yes and I. One of my workshop is about that. It's about biases, unconscious comunity, bias. That is the E and I and.
Speaker 3: I always say, listen, listen. Let's let's talk about two things. The basic rule of the reptilian brain, I will tell you. But another thing is this is not about diversity of external aspect. This is diversity of thoughts. That we need an organization people thinking. Definitely, if everybody thinks in the same way, the organization will not succeed. Definitely when not succeed, because always going in the same direction makes sense what I'm saying. So, I'm a fanatic of technology, great fanatic, you know, even though as you can see, I'm not exactly twenty years old.
Speaker 2: A guy may too, may too. I'm a fanatic of tenology.
Speaker 3: And the main reason is because broad brought us the whole world closer to each other. Yes, in one moment, we like it or not, It's like this. In one moment, one of my sons, many many years ago, he said, because my friend he's in Buena Sided, Okay, in Argentina. And he said, because my friend in Singapore. And I said, you don't have a friend in Singapore. What are you talking about.
Speaker 2: No, he was.
Speaker 3: Playing online with somebody in Singapore and he felt a connection with someone that he will never meet.
Speaker 2: This is magic. I was.
Speaker 3: I was leaving Craig in statistically the most diverse city in the world, that is Toronto, Canada. That's the most diverse city in the world between sixty five seventy was not born in Canada. And then you can see the process that will lead the rest of the world. When you start leaving this diversity every day, the reptilian brain will stop reacting. And now, if you let me, I will share something. Now, the basic rule of the reptilian brain. Whatever whatever looks differently than me, things differently than me, say something differently that I think or I thought, I believe, is potentially my enemy or it's danger. So because it doesn't belong.
Speaker 2: To my try this is the basic rule of the reptilium brain.
Speaker 3: What is the way to neutralize this co existent in diversity? When we live in an environment the people are different, my reptilian brain will take as normal and we'll stop reacting.
Speaker 2: So please, let's share.
Speaker 3: Please, let's get together, Please, let's get connected.
Speaker 2: That's the way.
Speaker 1: Well, you and I are starting the ball rolling right now. Absolutely too weirdos from different countries, totally, absolutely, But don't you think. I mean, I don't know how old you are, don't want to ask, doesn't matter. But even me, right, I've done this nearly two thousand times, just this right, And that's not including all the other calls I have around the world. But you know, like I did a thing last year, not last year, the year before with Hewlett Packard.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: I am a twelve month program where every I spoke, and I spoke every time. It was about four and a half thousand people in over forty countries. And what's amazing, Doc, I'm in my office at home, which I am right now, and I'm talking to four and a half thousand people in real time. They can write questions, they can even turn on their microphone and ask a question. They're in a myriad of different countries. There's no lag and I'm sitting in a T shirt and bare feet, right. I don't have to get on a plane. I don't need to go anywhere. They don't need to go anywhere. And I remember doing that. That was only a couple of years ago, for the whole year, and I was thinking, the world is so amazing, like what we have. You know, there's bad stuff going on, but I'm with you, like, not all technology is good, but some technology is bloody incredible.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm a fanatic that, yeah, we cannot.
Speaker 2: We need to keep clear what really is going on in the world.
Speaker 3: What I mean is there is one bias that is quite common called the availability heuristic. Sounds very complicated, but what in one word means is whatever I will listen more often, for instance, and news what comes to my ears more often my brain will take it as the truth and is wrong.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is.
Speaker 2: The power of news.
Speaker 3: If you and I'm sure you heard about the book fact Fulness one guy Gosling that he did a real analysis of the situation in the world.
Speaker 2: This is the world we are living today. Is the best version ever of the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, less words, believe it or not, less more education, less hunger, I mean, whatever parameter you want to measure, this is the best time ever.
Speaker 2: Yes, so please don't miss the point. That's what tell me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, hey, listen, we've got to get you back at some stage if you would like to come back.
Speaker 2: But I would love to.
Speaker 1: So appreciate talking to you. So interesting. Now, your book is called five Brain Leadership, right, yep, correct, So tell us a little just give us a snapshot of the book and yeah, and we'll wind up and we'll figure out where people can connect with you. But tell us a little bit about the book.
Speaker 3: Five Brain Leadership is to show in a provocative way, a different way to understand yourself and your people around. I define metaphorically, that's different brains, you know. I mean, in evolution, we have three brains here reptively an emotional Russian. The heart is full of neurons, and our God is full of neuronsin cells, and they are very, very active in the interaction with a big brain. What I do in the what I present in the book is a different narratives, those different voices, how how they interact with each other, and how they interact with us. And then I like to represent or present it like the inner team. Those brains or those voices or those narratives is an inner team. It's five members, five members with different personality and different goals. But keep in mind that you can be in control. You can decide which one will be in charge.
Speaker 2: This is the key concept based on that.
Speaker 3: Each chapter is a different topic, the process of changing the brain, unconscious cognitive biases, how to take care of yourself, and to stop talking about time management. Please stop talking at all time management because that is absolutely wrong. We never manage time. The only thing that we do, and Craig you know it better than me, is we manage energy.
Speaker 2: That's what we do.
Speaker 3: The body is all the time managing energy and balancing energy.
Speaker 2: Never time.
Speaker 3: To get to leverage. Time is a consequence. It's a collateral consequence of managing energy. So focus on how you can manage your energy better. That's the chapter one and two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it all right. By the way, is there an audio book or no.
Speaker 2: Now yet it's coming.
Speaker 1: Tell people how to connect with you, find you, follow you social media or wherever.
Speaker 3: Easiest way my website w W Carlos Davidovich dot com or LinkedIn I mean Carlos david MD is very easy. I always respond to messages because I love the interaction and the communication.
Speaker 2: I think it's the easiest one.
Speaker 3: There is Facebook and Instagram, but LinkedIn is the most No, let's say in this.
Speaker 1: Right now, we're going to say goodbye off air, but let's officially say goodbye on air. So I appreciate you, thanks so much for being on the You project. You're a font of wisdom and insight and storytelling and I appreciate you so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot. Thanks to you, Craig for this opportunity.
Speaker 1: That was great pleasure.