Speaker 1: Who Employer Report.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Welcome to the Royal Report. I'm Caroline Derusso and coming up on the show tonight. The Royal aide who took on Meagan is back in the spotlight, now working closely with Prince William Russell. Meers breaks down how the Royals celebrate Easter and a royal throwback. You need to see King Charles in the eighties, how he saved British architecture and why it still matters. But first, Princess Catherine has appeared in a new video in her role as Joint President of the Scouts.
Speaker 3: I find it a very spiritual and very intense emotional reconnection. I suppose these environments not everyone that's ariginal. It parts with Nietzsche, but it is so that's all meaningful for me as a peace to balance and find a sort of sense of peace and reconnection in what is otherwise a very busy world.
Speaker 2: Now, I was really quite struck by this video, mostly by how open the Princess was about her spiritual and emotional connection to nature, her design to find peace. Now, this is not the first time she's spoken about nature. She previously made comments about how it became the family sanctuary after her diagnosis with cancer last year and while she underwent treatment, and I suppose in the aftermath of all that it's timely to recognize something that was pivotal to getting her and her family through a very tough personal time and a very stressful time.
Speaker 1: Visit VI.
Speaker 2: The speculation in the public sphere and that ability to spend quiet time with the family to shut out.
Speaker 1: The rat race.
Speaker 2: Well, it's becoming all the more important in our society as we become increasingly connected and isolated at the same time. And on Easter Sunday, what could be better than to know exactly what you were thankful for? Joining me now is the Daily Express raw report of Pandora, flour sight and news that colinist Angela Mollard Pandora we have really saying the Prince and Princess of Wales being really open about these sorts of personal issues, are reconnecting with family and nature. Do you think that this fits well with their broader advocacy.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I mean we've seen them both individually and both together speaking about it, and I think that's very much for reflection of the monarchy at the moment, more so than ever we know that the King very much speaks to them, if not daily, weekly, I mean they'll always be checking in with one another, and I think especially at times of health and perhaps leaning on loved ones, they use these places to really reconnect with nature and actually kind of find out what life is all about, I suppose. So it doesn't surprise me as all that this is being brought back around again. And of course this very much helps with the message with all the programs that they're doing. Obviously we've got Earthshot coming up later this year, so it always feeds back into that message. And I think this is something also which really goes well with early childhood years, which Catherine is so passionate about and has been. It's very much been her standpoint project since marrying in to the royal family, and she's very keen on getting children out in nature and learning about it. So this does not surprise me at all. And I can I just say one thing that they are getting it so right at the moment with their videography and how they're getting the message out there, and it's really appealing to younger audiences across the globe. It's sharable. You see it all over your social media, it fills your feeds, and it's making the monarchy far more relatable. Actually, even down to what she's wearing, she isn't sort of just coming across sort of like a I suppose a princess. She's coming across like a human being and doing everyday activity many people do around the globe.
Speaker 2: Angela, I totally agree with Pandora. They're particularly around the royal family getting everything really right at the moment, and we know they had a few stumbles last year as far as social media strategy and those sorts of things were concerned. Do you think there's anything particularly interesting in the timing of this video.
Speaker 6: Look, I think this is Easter time. Of course, it's a time of year that people think about new life, about celebration, and I think that's Catherine. I think I imagine that she feels very much that she's escaped to death sentence, and so to be in nature, to be with scouts, which is a very earnest and ancient tradition, really, I think suggests that she's focused on the goodness at the heart of society. We know that she said, you know that people and their messages were a huge support to her during her cancer battle. I think this also determines the sort of king and Queen that they will be in the future. They will very much anchor themselves in the things that are right for their family. And that's not to say that they will put their family above the crown. The crown will always come first, but they're very determined that being enmeshed and immersed in nature is so significant to their mental and physical health and that has to come first if they are to be the king and Queen in the future.
Speaker 2: And Angela still with you and I'm you know who they are in the future as king and queen also goes to the sorts of people they have around them. And if you eyebrows were raised this week, I think with Jason Enough being named as Prince William CEO for the Earthshop Prize, interesting choice, isn't it.
Speaker 6: It's a hugely significant choice. Carolyn. I think this is basically this is what this is saying, is that we vote for the people who support us rather than our family. So the background to this, of course is that Jason Knoff was the person that bought brought bullying allegations again Meghan when she was back with the Royal family now. He used to be a CEO of the Royal Foundation. He was formerly Harry and William's communications secretary. He is a very trusted member of the member of the families entourage and the people that work around them. The fact that William has now hired him for this key position is the greatest endorsement yet that he was correct in the bullying. As you will remember, there was that investigation into the bullying. We were told that there was the findings were going to be made public, but they never were. But plenty of people who have been employed by the Palace said that Meghan did bully her staff. And the fact that Jason Nuff has survived those that situation and is now a key member of the Prince and Princesses Wales's team suggest who their allegiance lies with.
Speaker 2: I did think that was just fascinating when I read it. This Waken and Pandora's East Awaken. We'll talk about the Royal Families is later in the show, but can you tell us how the Sussex is celebrated as did this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, of course we now know that Meghan is very much in her lifestyle influencer era, So any opportunity like this, no matter what influencer you are across the globe, you will be making money off the back of Easter, which goes very differently to what you'd expect from law family traditions. However, we saw a shot my page Meghan didn't Easter Reddit on there you get little carrot suites in there, you can get Eastern napkins. I mean, we're really going all out and actually, given the success of her brand as ever, and that did sell out, and how many people are actually buying these products and why wouldn't you to be honest at this point, it's not harming anybody by doing this at all. So yeah, she's made it a business opportunity. But we do know that Meghan actually formerly, you know, when she was without Harry in her life, she used to celebrate Easter anyway, perhaps not so much the religious element of it, but she very much was celebrating it in a very Montecito way. So they'll very much have an listera egg hunt. They will be doing that with their family, you know, when she was pregnant with Lily, but they were very open about how they're celebrating Easter. I imagine her mum Doria. We know they're so close. She'll be there, so it'll be time for family, but it won't be traditional.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine they'll be going to church either, so no, it will be a very Montecito set up. And I imagine what we will see in the next coming hours. It's perhaps an Instagram post very much showing how they are spending their Easter and how they have spent their Easter, because of course that's an opportunity, and she will very much being advised to get all those cute instagrammical pictures. I don't suspet we'll see their faces, but perhaps a couple of the back of their heads going down for an Easter hunt. I mean, that's just my guest. Guys, I'm just going to put it out there. We'll check back next week and whether I'm right.
Speaker 1: About that, we will imagine.
Speaker 2: Now, Angel are still with the Sussexes and another charity drama for them, this time the Archel Foundation, and it's in relation to a decision it made to cease funding to the Milwaukee Muslim Women's Coalition.
Speaker 6: What happened here, that's right, they've withdrawn their funding. They've funded this charity in the past, but the head of the charity, he's spoken out in a fairly pro Palestine, anti Israel sentiment. This has then of course led Harry and Meghan to have to pull back. They say that, you know that their charity is for all religions, all ethnic groups, and that they very much support you know, diversity across the board. The fact that this CEO of the charity he has spoken out in this way, they led them to believe they needed to pull back. But of course now the CEO has hit back at the charity and said, you know that it's pr before, before the help that they have, you know, before human rights and the things that they've given money to in the past. Look, I think this is indicative of the fact that the Sussexes don't know and don't have good guidance around where to put their money. Look, the Archiwal Foundation doesn't have that much money. Frankly, they're giving it to all sorts of different groups. But the fact is they always become embroiled in these problems because they don't make sensible decisions in the first place. Somebody they need to need to hire somebody to go through to look at who they are giving money to to see where problems might occur. They never get ahead of the damage limitation, that always chasing it from behind, which was the case we saw a few weeks ago with Center Bali. This is just another one of the things. They just cannot seem to be able to step away from conflict. It follows them everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very very interesting how these things seem to follow the same to follow the Sussexes. Now a gentle review, A Warning. Our next story discusses the topic of miscarriage. Now Pandora, I've only got about forty five seconds left, but during her podcast discussion with the Rest Maash Rajani this week, Megan opened up about having a miscarriage. Now, these conversations have traditionally been very hush hush, But how important is it that women are open about these traumatic experiences which are actually really quite.
Speaker 5: Common, incredibly important. One in five women experience miscarriages at some point in their lifetime, with some women unfortunately experiencing more than that. We do know this information already, Harry has spoken about it. Of course, the partner is affected, not only the women, so this isn't new information. But of course I think actually Megan got this right bringing it up again. Any awareness surrounding this is remarkable, to be honest, and it needs to be spoken about more often than in the public sphere. So yes, I think it is very important and very braver. I've actually megan to bring this up again, but of course it's so incredibly personal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely agree, Thank you very much. Pandora and Angela Mollard now coming up and the Roles are preparing to roll out the red carpet for the US President Donald Trump after whole a turbular month of terrorf negotiations. Welcome back to the show, and I want to wish everyone a happy and blessed Easter Sunday. And as I do every year, the Role family, we're well and truly out and about in the lead up to Easter, including giving Maundy money on Easter Thursday. Now this year, the King's message spoke about faith, hope and love, and the King wrote, one of the puzzles of our humanity is how we are capable of both great cruelty and great kindness. This paradox of human life runs through the Easter story and in the scenes that daily come before our eyes, and he added, there are three virtues that the world still needs, faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love. Joining me now is the Royal editor for the Daily Mirror, Russell mos Russell. What were the most notable moments for you of the Royal Easter this year?
Speaker 4: Well, Hi, Carol, it's been a bit superiod, of course, you know the king is very important time for him, not only personally, but of course as the monarch as well. Easter time we saw him up in Durham Cathedral handing out that morning money that goes right the way back to the about the fifteenth century, and you have the monarch of the day of course, King Charles now handing out especially minted coins to local heroes, people who have not only tuned to the Christian faith but really done some great things in their community. So it's in place or in sort of tribute of his birthday. Of the years, of course, he's seventy six there, seventy six men, seventy six women getting these special commemorations very very important for the king.
Speaker 1: Of course, on Maundy.
Speaker 4: Thursday, we're going to see the Royal family out in force. On Easter Sunday as well, Windsor Castle. But the family we won't be seeing are the Prince and Princess Wales and their three children.
Speaker 1: They've decided to sort of had a bit of.
Speaker 4: A longer Easter holiday at their home in Norfolk, and I think that's fair enough. You know, they've been through an awful lot as a family. You know, William dig check in with the King ahead of time about whether this will be okay. Of course he's given it his blessing and very much. You know, his message, as you said, was about faith, love and hope, and I think they've needed that in abundance of course, the King and the Princess of Wells both going through their cancer battles over the last year year and a half. Very very much that lovely message incorporating what the family are about.
Speaker 2: And Russell, I think the break comes at a good time for the family. We know that the King had a very short stay in hospital a few weeks back. He has traveled a lot. Will they also be taking a little bit of time just to take it easy for a few days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: I mean this is a time of kicking up your heels and trying to get it away from work for a few days, isn't it. And I think the King is very much of that motion as well, because it has been a busy period. I was just in Italy with him just a couple of weeks ago, and that was a full on schedule. Even though they'd taken out the Vatican part of the state visit, it was still very very full on, and I think we forget, you know, Camiller is seventy seven, he's seventy six, and they're still carrying on a very very busy schedule. Indeed, so I don't think there's any in terms of letting up for the King, but certainly I think it will be a chance to get the family together have a bit of rest and recuperation over the holidays.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: So well, we've spoken several times on this show about the upcoming visit between the King and US President Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: What's the update. Well, it's really interesting.
Speaker 4: It's a story this week in the UK Telegraph about that it's being underlined between the two teams. There's certainly discussions are carrying on at pace. And then Trump was in the White House and he gave chapter and verse on it. He said the two teams are working on the palettes and the White House. Of course, the foreign offices will be involved as well, and he said it's going to be lightly four September. What we don't know yet, which is a bit of a gray area, as whether this is going to be a full pomp and pageantry state visit. My understanding was that it wasn't going to be. It was sort of an invitation for Trump to go over a sort of a freecursor to a potential state visit next year. But Trump seems to have got carried away as he normally does, and.
Speaker 1: He's saying, Oh, it's going to be a great fest. It's going to have all the pomp and pageantry. It's unprecedented, as of.
Speaker 4: Course it is for a for a prime a president to have a second stage visit. So whether we see the full chabang for him in September remains to be seen. But it looks like he will be coming across these shores in the not too distant future.
Speaker 2: Oh, there will be plenty more to talk about in the lead up to that, I'm sure now. Back in nineteen eighty four, King Charles made a speech known as the Monstrous Carbuncle Speech about the state of British architecture here it.
Speaker 3: Is I would understand better.
Speaker 5: If you're demublish the whole of the square and started again the single art.
Speaker 1: But what is from parents seems to me like a monstrous carver on the basin of Mushaller elevent freeth and.
Speaker 2: A great hat tip to the King by Clive Aslet this week in the UK Telegraph ahead of the relates to his new book on the First and May. Now Russell, we know the King loves architecture, but how much influences he had over recent years.
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting looking back at those speeches because I often think about his speeches that he made of about climate change and how he was ridiculed at the time, and this was pretty punchy. If he's talking about British architecture had not been attuned to the values of old and he's really had that within his hearted thing. You look at the state of Palmbury in England, how he was really a forward thinker in that and trying to get to people to think about architecture, appreciate their towns and cities once again. And what he's done at Dumfries House as well is really tune into traditional crafts, and he's had a lot of money put in to Dumfries House, saving those traditional crafts, educating the new batch of traditional craft makers, and.
Speaker 1: That's been really really important for our culture.
Speaker 4: And that's what he wants to try and preserve the heritage of not only architecture, but of spirit as well.
Speaker 1: And certainly I think many people are benefiting of that.
Speaker 2: I'm a massive nerd, and I just think it is such a good point of advocacy. I think he has done a fabulous job in that regard. Now it's been reported this week that Meghan has sent apparently a pace offering to the King in the form of her as ever products.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Well, I saw this story, to be honest, I can't quite believe it.
Speaker 4: I haven't been able to verify it myself, and I think that'd be extraordinary because look at the relations of the two families. I mean, it's not got any better in recent months. I think this heat has been taken out of the relations because of Obviously, Harry and Meghan had the propensity to be going on TV shows, talking to Open Winfrey of calls, the Netflix series, Harry's book.
Speaker 1: I could go on and on couldn't.
Speaker 4: I but in terms of your peace offerings, I don't think we're there yet. I mean, look at Harry has been in the UK several times over the last fourte months and hasn't even seen his father. I mean that is absolutely extraordinary. He was here for his recent call cases a couple of weeks ago against the British government to do with his security and still didn't get to see the King. So I'm not sure a hamper full of jam and biscuits and creps will smooth over relations just at this point.
Speaker 2: No, I think it probably needs a little bit more. But you did mention Harry's book and another big claim in the media this week he said Harry is considering a secret to his Memoi spare, focusing on his legal battle for security and having a crack at the royal family for not helping him. Is there anything in this.
Speaker 4: Well, I certainly I understand that he is happy that his father hasn't got involved. Of course, it's an absolutely extraordinary situation, and that Harry is taking to court his Majesty's government and in the government that's of his under his father's name. It's a truly extraordinary set of events. However, whether Harry wins this appeal, it may as me see, I imagine we'll find out in the next few weeks. But he's not letting up, and he said himself that he had enough material for two books when he was writing Spare, So it is always the sort of sword of Damantle's hanging over the royal family and the palaces.
Speaker 1: Will he sort of put pen to paper again?
Speaker 4: You know that the first book was widely received, it was a bestseller, you know, and Harry and Meghan still need to earn a lot of money, So if he has that in his back pocket, I think it's still something that he could use in the future. Or does he value greater relations with his family if his father, you know, he's still continuing cancer treatment and he's still falling out with his brother. You know, it does seem a bit of a shame sometimes that they've let all this time go without repairing stuff.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and still on the security front, although in slightly a different vein we understand they're a new flight restrictions over Sandringham.
Speaker 4: What's the story here, Well, this is very interesting because it came on the back of presidents and Lenskiv Ukraine's visit to the King at Sandringham. He's a country of state in Norfolk, and there was some drones flying overhead and it must have you would assume that royal palaces or royal residencies would have these knife no flight zones, but Sundringham definitely didn't. So in order to stop that from happening in the past, there has essentially been a no fly zone put into place. It was requested just a few days after President Zelenski visited the King last month. That came into force on March tenth, so it will be essentially no planes, no drones, nobody flying any light aircraft over the palaces as a security issue, and you can imagine why that has been put in place.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and very timely. Rustamiz, thank you so much. And that's the show for tonight. Thank you for joining us. Up next is Newsnight.