Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, July to twenty twenty six. Investor property loan applications have crashed by as much as fifty percent over the past month as high interest rates and the government's tax changes send home prices and auction clearance rates tumbling. Now banks are warning new lending will have in growth over the coming year. On the upside, the giant shakeup is pushing mortgage rates down. We've got detailed analysis and news breaking on exactly what's happening in the property sector live right now at the Australian dot com dot au. For the dilettantes and the distracted, it's time to start paying attention. Australias into the round of sixteen in the FIFA World Cup with a must win match.
Speaker 2: Against Egypt early on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Today are football expert Josh Whittington is here with a bluffer's guide. He'll break down the unexpected delights of this World Cup, how the global superstars stack up, and whether soccer is ready to truly take on league and Aussie rules For Australian's hearts.
Speaker 2: Josh is here in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Boys passing annotation, Hi.
Speaker 3: Says the goal for the whole lots of finish there it is another high point. If the soccer is World Cup.
Speaker 1: Journy, Well, for those of us who haven't been paying attention to the fee for World Cup until right now, it's business time. Suddenly we have to lock on the soccer whos are playing on the weekend and the games are getting to the business end of the tournament. I've brought in Josh Whittington, who's one of the Australians soccer experts. I think he would object to that title, just purely because I used the word soccer to tell us if we haven't been paying attention until now, what to pay attention to, if the soccer us have any chance and why this tournament has been so much more fun than anyone expected. Josh, let's start with the easy part. Do the soccer US have any chance of winning their game on early Saturday morning Australian time.
Speaker 3: Well, firstly, thank you for having me on, because I've known you for a long time and this is the first time you've invited me on to the front, so I'm very privileged.
Speaker 1: I think you'll find I've invited you on many times, but you've always been mysteriously too busy.
Speaker 3: So the Football World Cup, we should be excited because we are a definite chance of going through against Egypt. So for people that aren't necessarily aware of Egypt, they've got a couple of very well known players, one most Sala who would be known to most football fans past the one two school legitt and a couple of other ones, one from man City called Omama Mush who's very good as well. This is my Mush and.
Speaker 2: He scampers away from Nathan and court.
Speaker 3: Oh Mama Mush. But they are very beatable and as far as a drawer to get into the last sixteen of the World Cup, it's pretty good. So the timing of the game is not great. Four o'clock in the morning on a Saturday, so you're gonna have to get up early and put your cup of tea on, or for the younger fans you maybe leave the night club at three am and to just keep going. But yeah, no, get excited because we could win this game.
Speaker 2: The soccer RWs have had a long and sort of storied history.
Speaker 1: Australia's got their hopes up a few times about the soccer ruse and they've never quite captured. I think the national heart as well as the Matildas have.
Speaker 2: Cot be mine to take Samka, I never Tilda's why they've never mean football.
Speaker 3: No Australian team has ever reached the World Come semi final.
Speaker 1: Every single person in this country, you are part of this week?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Is this the moment where they eclipse the women and proves that they're really worth following?
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good question. You know what, before this tournament started, I would even say as a football fan, I probably knew more of the Matillas than this current team. So is that going to change? I don't think so. I don't think they have many superstars, but they are young, so I would say this tournament's maybe a step too early for them. But for you time, this team could be really good, so let's hope they win. I don't think this is going to have a major change on football in Australia because really what you need for the game to grow bigger is big superstars, and I'm not sure we have them right at the moment.
Speaker 1: The last game that the soccer has played in the World Cup was a nil all draw. Josh which to a non football fan like me, sounds like a major disappointment.
Speaker 2: How did you interpret that result?
Speaker 3: It was a terrible game. Don't let any football fan tell you what to do, but it was terrible. I've likened it in my column to realizing you're now qualified for a bow counter screening test. That's how exciting it was. But the point being that it was a very important game. There was a lot riding on it for both teams. Both teams were very happy for it to be a pretty dour draw so they got the point they needed. Look, it was one of those things that just had to be done. It was important. We did what we needed to do and now we move on it. I wouldn't guarantee, but I think this game against Egypt will be a lot more exciting.
Speaker 1: How have you found the sort of physical ordeal of following this World Cup? Your heating bill must be through the roof with all these middle of the night games and cups of tea.
Speaker 3: Well, exactly as someone that likes to watch every single game in some shape or form, this expanded tournament, because this tournament is far bigger than any previous World Cup. There's forty eight teams and there's means a lot more games, and a lot more early mornings, and a lot more trying to work out how to work SBS is app to get mini matches and everything. To be honest as a fan, it's probably been too much. I am sort of this struggle and we still got thirty two teams in there, just about to give you sixteen teams. So there's a lot more to come, that's the amazing thing. I feel like I'm sort of on the edge already.
Speaker 1: So if Australia does triumph over Egypt on Saturday morning, what happens after that, Well.
Speaker 3: They'll go through the round sixteen and if all things go to what they should, they'll probably play Argentina, which is it goes from having a good draw to having a terrible draw.
Speaker 2: Even I know that's a daunting prospect.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're probably one of the favorites for the whole thing. Most people, if they don't know football, have heard of Leo Messi, who is having a good tournament for someone of a ripe old age that he's at mass flying forward. We so look, it's not what we want, or maybe it is. Maybe it's the game that we do want because it gets everyone's attention, the world will be watching. Gives people an opportunity to overperform. I think it's been a great achievement for them to make it this far. So if they beat Egypt, that'll be well well overachieving, so touchwood.
Speaker 1: One of the joys of this tournament from the outside has been seeing the fans enjoying themselves across the American cities where these games are being played, Norwegians rolling in the stands, Scottish people just kind of drinking everywhere, seeing great songs.
Speaker 2: What have you enjoyed about the way people are enjoying this.
Speaker 3: There is nothing like a World Cup. I've been lucky enough to go to a few, and I can still remember inadvertently walking onto a bus and ending up on a bus with entirely packed with Swedish fans, and then having to pretend I was singing along till all the time. You would have.
Speaker 2: Fitted right in, you would have merged, you would have melded in with the well.
Speaker 3: Well, I did have a soccer whose stop on. Maybe not, but the beauty of it is there's nothing like football fans at a World Cup. It's just a party and it's everyone's happy and everyone's mixing, and although football has a reputation of violence and crowd violence, never really happens at a World Cup. There's generally a good vibe. I've been really happy to see the scenes that this World Cup. It just seems like it's a great festival football sort of feel to it.
Speaker 1: That's a cliche, isn't it, that this is a festival and not a competition. We hear that about everything from the athletics Carnival to the journalism awards, and in fact the opposite is true.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely a competition.
Speaker 1: Who would be the kind of popular favorite to win the whole tournament and who's the kind of dark horse.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll just say, firstly, I've never won a journalism award, so I just have that on the record. But well, the popular favorite at every World Cup is Brazil. Like everyone loves Brazil. It's just easy, super start. I think they've won the most well of anyone. They've got some of the most famous players in the world, and they're fans sort of embody that sort of beautiful game. I'm partial to France because I just think they've got the best array of talent and I think they've got the best footballer in the world in Killean and Babe.
Speaker 2: Who's having an incredible tournament as well, isn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and some people might argue with that, but yeah, I think France to the team that would be the favorites stop after a French store. Then you'd have Brazil probably the crowd favorites, and then people love Leo Messi and people love Ronaldo, so you know, Portugal and Argentina have probably got a lot of fans as well.
Speaker 1: There's been some high profile kind of knockouts, haven't there already. Germany's out of the World Cup, which was a surprise to me but maybe not to you.
Speaker 3: I no, definitely surprise, but I'll upset the German listeners to this podcast. But I love seeing Germany go out. They've been successful for a long time. When I was going up, they never lost a penalty shootout, so I was very surprised to see them go out. But look, it's good for the game. The one good thing about this tournament is we've got a lot of good other teams that we haven't been at World Cups before, and there's only eight countries that have won the World Cup in the history of it so to see other teams come through and some of the big boys go out, well, I think that's good for the sport. So slightly disappointed to see the big teams go out, but Germany and Holland go on, bring it on. Yeah, I'm happy about it.
Speaker 1: Coming up what this World Cup could mean for football in Australia. Football in Australia is going through a huge period of transition. Obviously, the advent of the Matilda's into the popular imagination has inspired girls all over Australia to take up football. Last time I paid attention to the men's game in Australia, there were a lot of people letting off flares and starting fights. That seems to have changed as well. Where do you see Australian football now? And how much does it matter whether or not the soccer Who's triumph or not at this World Cup?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good question and we could probably be here all day. But the soccer is have not missed the World Cup since two thousand and six, so we are doing remarkably well to make them and it probably for someone that is into the game, you sort of get this every four years, the sort of nation wakes up to it a little bit and you see the shirts around again and people sort of start telling your names and players. But it doesn't really have a huge effect long term on the league. The A League is not in great shape, crowds are not great, its administration is not great. So look, every four years you hope that it'll have some sort of effect on the sport. I think the real impact of the sport will be the Matilda's. I think that is massive for Australian football because they are, you know, one of the most well liked sporting teams in the country and got so many more girls playing than when I grew up. So I think that will actually have a really big effect on football in Australia, probably more so than the soccer.
Speaker 1: Who's to be honest, as a participation sport too, it's got the appeal to mums and dads that rugby league and rugby union even AFL are going to start struggling more with. I think as awareness grows about the impact of head trauma, that is certainly an issue also in football in soccer, but much less so than in those heavy contact sports. Do you think the game is kind of set up in Australia to know what to do with a generation of kids who are going to grow up with soccer as the game that they are playing on the weekend.
Speaker 3: No is my short answer to that. You'll find a lot of like me. To be honest, I grew up playing football, but I still love my rugby league and my rugby Union and even my Ossie Rules. So you'll find there's a lot of Ossies that play when they're young, that participation rates are really high, but there is not a real pathway beyond that because our big sports are still dominated by the rugby and the Ossie rules codes. So you'll find a kid like Lucas Herrington, who played for Australia in the last game. He's only eighteen. He did play in the league and then got signed by a US team and he's now being courted by some European teams. So that's probably the pathway that these kids have. So we don't get the real talent in Australia playing, which has a flow on effect that maybe you don't get the crowds going to watch it because the talent's not there. They prefer to watch the European leagues or the Premier League, etc. So look, yeah, the pathways. It's a difficult one for a strange football to fix. I don't pretend to have the answer to it, to.
Speaker 1: Be honest, Well, in your other life, Josh, you are also an expert in rugby league and very annoyingly thrash me in our office tipping competition and in super Coach, So I can't let you go without asking what your tip is for Origin three.
Speaker 3: I am doing terribly in tipping and super coach, though that must mean you're doing even worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these things are relative.
Speaker 3: I'm a proud New South walesh and get very passionate about Origin. But I don't want to offend Lori daily because he seems We've got very upset at any criticism. But they're not going to win. Queensland will win. Sorry guys, sorry to say it. I hope we don't, but I think get been pretty badly. Sorry.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's time for generational change, doesn't it. Maybe they should make cur and four in the loose coach.
Speaker 3: Well, bring in Ivan Clary as soon as you can. That's my thought. It's another year of thinking we've got a pretty good team, but we just get been a superior collective in Queensland. Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Well, Josh, I'll be waking up with you at four o'clock on Saturday morning. I'll be sending you a text to make sure you're installed in front of the sofa, and I'll be holding to your predictions.
Speaker 3: I'm going to call you. I'm going to call you and just make sure you're watching. Thanks Josh, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Josh Whittington is The Australian's national news edit up and he writes a must read soccer sorry football column at the Australian dot com dot au, where you can follow all the World Cup action live