Speaker 1: Good Day team.
Speaker 2: It's the two champions, it's the two standout superstars of the U Project. And that doesn't include Tiff, even though IF's editing this, so I feel like I could get in trouble. Shout out to you anyway, Tiff, David, James Gillespie, Craig, Anthony Harper. Here at your service, folks. So what I firstly, hi mate? How are you good?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: It's good. I'm going to sound like a little winger for a moment, but it's not the worst wind. It's forty four degrees in Melbourne, so we are pretty hot as fires all over Victoria at the moment. What's the temperature up there in the Sunshine State.
Speaker 4: I think it's about thirty, but it was pretty hot yesterday. It's like thirty eight or something yesterday. But yeah, when I used to live in Victoria, I do remember not liking that particular aspect of it is that most of the time it's pretty nice, but when it gets hot, it really gets off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 2: Well the one days the predicted top well, it's still going to get hotter. They reckon, it's going to get forty six at about six o'clock, but the prediction was, well, the forecast was forty seven.
Speaker 1: I'm like, who does forty seven? Anyway, we're here.
Speaker 2: As long as everyone's safe, and everyone's and all the animals and forests are not getting burnt and devastated, that's all we care about. So I sent your message before and you went, I said, well, what are we talking about?
Speaker 1: What have you written?
Speaker 2: And you went, nothing, put on your thinking cap And I went, you know what I'm doing. I'm getting AI to put on its thinking cap. Oh no, so I said to Chatters. So if this is terrible, everyone don't blame me. It couldn't possibly be me. It's either David or chat GPT. So you're welcome, I said to Chatters, if you not me, because it always if I ask it stuff, it'll put its itself in my place.
Speaker 1: If you not me.
Speaker 2: Were interviewing author, researcher and lawyer David Gillespie, what would you ask him?
Speaker 1: And then I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It brought up sweet poison, like you've only ever done one thing, like there's a few other there's some deviations, but if I need to modified, I will.
Speaker 3: Craig.
Speaker 1: This is what he said to me.
Speaker 2: He or she if I were interviewing David Gilespiotim for questions that go beyond what he thinks and dig into how he thinks, why he changed his mind, and where people most misunderstand him. Here's how I'd structure it, origin, story and epistemology. I'm like, thanks, chatters, subtitle how a lawyer ends up waging war on sugar and big narratives.
Speaker 1: If these are ship will be in.
Speaker 3: But we'll see how we go.
Speaker 1: You were trained as a lawyer, not.
Speaker 2: A nutritionist or a neuroscientist. How did that shape the way you evaluate evidence compared to experts trained in those fields.
Speaker 1: It's not a bad.
Speaker 3: Well done chatters, Yeah, it's not bad. It's not bad.
Speaker 1: Good chatters.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess the important thing to know is that I don't have a dog in the fight, and lawyers rarely do.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: There's that old saying, you know, if you represents yourself, you've got an idiot as a client. And that's kind of one of I think the most valuable things I bring to anything I look at. And it's also why I never really write about law. So I can't be fired for anything I write because I'm not employed as a dietitian or a psychologist or anything like that. I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm coming to the question and I'm saying, what does the evidence show us? And I look at the evidence on both sides of the argument and see what it says. And I think that's the skill that I'm bringing to the table here, which is that a so called expert in the area, say in biothet x or nutrition or something, has a dog in the fight. They have a job that and them keeping their job usually means that they have to stick with the consensus, the company line on this stuff. So if the consensus is fat makes you fat, then those are the glasses they will have on when they look at any of the evidence, Whereas I don't care. I just want to know what the evidence says. And if the evidence said fat makes you fat, then that's what I would have said. And nobody would have probably published a book written by me, because I would have been saying the same thing as everybody else.
Speaker 3: But I don't care about that either.
Speaker 4: In the sense that, as you well know as a fellow author, nobody gets rich writing books, and certainly nobody gets rich writing books in Australia. Yes, So all I'm doing is writing down in terms that people who are not experts in the area like me, can understand what the evidence actually says. And this is something probably the only useful thing that lawyers are trained to do, which is they are asked to understand the evidence in all manner of disciplines. They have to understand the evidence in a car accident, or the evidence in a bridge failure, or the evidence in a construction litigation, or the evidence you know, in whatever you name it. It's all different, and they're trained in one of us. They do have to understand the evidence and they have to be able to clearly state what the evidence says. And even more than that, and this is a side that most people don't see in lawyers, is they have an obligation to the court to present evidence to the court which contradicts their case, obligation not to mislead the court. So if there is evidence that they are aware of that contradicts something they are saying to the court, they must point it out. So I guess in that sense, I'm the best possible person to look at the questions that I'm writing about exactly because I'm not an expert in the area, and I am trained in assessing evidence.
Speaker 2: That is such a good answer, Tode. I hate paying you a compliment, but it's very good. Like I think also this because people firstly, you're possibly our most if not popular, definitely in the top three, right. I mean they are probably a couple of people who don't like you. There are thousand who don't like me. Who cares, right, But the thing about you is that you're not emotional and you don't have you said, you don't have a dog in the fight for me. You don't have any financial incentive to lean one way or the like. Whatever the data says, whatever, wherever the evidence goes. What a but buck up fill in the blank. It just is what it is. The next thing I want you to clarify, which I know and you know the answer to clearly.
Speaker 1: But when you say the evidence for this stuff, just clarify.
Speaker 2: For our listeners who are not scientists or researchers or gatherers of evidence in this sense, where do you get your evidence? I'm guessing not YouTube or Instagram, No.
Speaker 4: But mostly because those are media that people are using to summarize evidence. Hopefully they're not really presenting the original evidence because it would bore people rigid and no one would watch their YouTube channel. Yes, So what I mean by the evidence is I go to the source to the best quality of evidence that is available. So if I often, i'll see an artist call online and maybe it is even on Instagram post. I'm not sure, you know, but I'll see something that said that makes a claim. Like I'll give you an example. I saw one today. So there was an article I think was on Instagram. It's been doing the rounds. It says AI makes you dumber, all right, and has The one I saw on Instagram had a sort of a picture of a brain scan of someone who had apparently been using AI next to a picture of a brain scan of someone who hadn't been using AI, and it was much more colorful, so their brain was working better, apparently, and the other persons were just a dull gray now, you know. And so I thought, well, that sounds interesting. Is where is that coming from and what is the evidence underneath it? And so I went look. I went looking for what is this based on? And it is based on a study done by an American university I can't remember which one, but quite a reputable one. The study was only about forty p and it was that they found that in some circumstances they were able to test in a variety of ways and find that, for example, people had less recall when they used an AI to write something than if they wrote it themselves.
Speaker 3: And I'm kind of.
Speaker 4: Thinking, well, the yes, that seems to be logical. If you didn't write it, you're probably not going to remember what you didn't write, of.
Speaker 2: Course, whereas it's such a fucking dumb like claim out of that or that particular research design.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so sure I did look at something. It got my attention initially in a popular media. But what I just did there is what I tend to do when I'm looking for research, which just keep drilling down until you find the source and then make judgments about the quality of that source.
Speaker 3: So first of all, all.
Speaker 4: You know handily journals are rated, so you can you don't have to guess is this a reputable source of information? They have ratings and you can decide, okay, well this is not a particularly highly rated journal. So I'm already a little bit cautious about whether this has been peer reviewed or not. So the particular study I was talking about there with AI not peer reviewed. So so straight away you're thinking, but that doesn't mean throw it in the bin. It just means start being really, really cautious and questioning about anything that's being said and put your critical thinking head on.
Speaker 3: Okay, and.
Speaker 4: So you apply that sort of logic to it, and then you start looking at, well, who's paying for this study? Do they have a vested interest in the outcome? All those kinds of questions as you're looking at it, and then if it withstands all of that, you start going to look for other research, and well, what other This can't possibly be the only person who's looked at this question.
Speaker 3: It never is.
Speaker 4: Thousands of studies are published every day. What do other people say about this particular area, What is their contradictory evidence? What does it say? And then I look at all of that and I start to form a view as to how reliable or otherwise what's being said is. And then I might form a hypothesis about whether it's you know, whether A plus B equals C, and then I'll start trying to prove it wrong. So I'll start I'll start looking for research that might prove that what I just said A plus B equal C is wrong. And if I can't find any despite my best efforts, then I start to think, okay, well this is starting to stack up logically. I can't find anything that says it's wrong. Can I find things that suggest that elements of this is right? Because you rarely ever find one that says all of it together. You say, well, if A is true and B is true, then C must be true. And so what I'll just describe to you there is kind of the process I go through over and over and over again with everything I look at, and it's an almost automatic thing that I do. And then every now and then, one in one hundred times I might find something that I think, you know, well, actually this is just surprising. This is the opposite of what I had believed and the opposite of what I think what most people believe. And then I'm all right about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it such a good process.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know until I started my PhD that there were generally there's like Q one through to Q four or Tier one to tier four papers which you know about. And just to give our listeners an idea, like to get accepted and published in a Tier one academic journal.
Speaker 1: It depends on the journal.
Speaker 2: They vary, but some of them take less than two percent of the papers that get submitted, and these are all obviously peer reviewed, and then down to Q four so the lowest level, which is where they're often not peer reviewed, and the way that they get published is by the authors paying for it to be published.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know play Yeah, so it's like oh.
Speaker 2: And then when you so it's and people don't know that, not that that's an insult.
Speaker 1: People aren't expected to know that.
Speaker 2: So when you go, oh, this was published in a scientific journal that could be analogous to the fucking Woman's Day or new Idea like it to be. Yeah, that's that's cool, but let's wish what was what was the journal?
Speaker 1: And some on. But even with your forty people.
Speaker 2: Research, you go, so, there's eight billion people in the world and we've done some research with forty it's that's not necessarily going to extrapolate or you know, and the other.
Speaker 4: Thing there's a problem with that than just this. I mean, small research can give you interesting insights that you might not other have seen, particularly when it's done in humans. So but then you start to look at, well, what exactly did they do? And if it becomes you look at it and you think, well, yeah, well that's kind of obvious, you know, And what are they proving by by showing that people who didn't write things don't know what they didn't write, you know, I guess they are.
Speaker 3: Proving that those people didn't think much.
Speaker 5: But so what yes, yeah, well I think also there are so many things that I never thought about until I started this journey, but like the quality of the participants, or the demographic.
Speaker 1: Or the age, or the buppa bappa bar fill in the blank. Right.
Speaker 2: So with I ran a few projects and in one of my projects, I had two hundred and ninety nine people and pretty much it was a bit skewed, but not a lot. It was like one hundred and forty students, so undergrad psychologist students, and the other group was general public. So you don't think about the limitations, and you don't think about, like when I explain to people, like good data and bad data. So this is true because most or many many research papers use students as their participants because they're so accessible and easy to motivate to do the research. But so the problem in inverted commas with some of my research is that I had one hundred and sixty odd general public who wanted to be there. They chose to be there. They're interested in the research, interested in the topic. They potentially follow me on social media. They were motivated by the fact that I was doing a public workshop at the end, which they paid zi zo four. How many came because of that, I'm not sure, but anyway, the average time, give or take, and this is this is written in in the paper, like you have to write what the limitations and what problems and you know, like in terms of the design, what did you fuck up?
Speaker 1: What would you do different?
Speaker 2: So the paper to answer all these questionnaires like paper questionnaires with a pen and paper took if you did it properly, about fifty minutes. And so the general public, it took all of them somewhere in the forty to sixty minute range.
Speaker 1: And then I won't.
Speaker 2: Even say how many, but a lot of the students were getting through in under fifteen minutes. And the reason, the main reason is because they were motivated to be there because they were getting academic credits, you know, and so you go, oh, so you have a ranging quality of data. And then then you've got to try and figure out which you literally remove some of the data because some of them didn't even finish the thing properly, so you just take that out. But yeah, there's a huge range of variables. Another thing that is a red flag for me is when you see some kind of pseudoscience that says, oh, fifty percent of people respond this way if they do that, or they see an improvement in that if they take this, and you're like, fifty percent, what are the chances that's thirty percent of the population, Like it's always an exact number, but in real research, it's almost never an exact number.
Speaker 1: Like never I didn't have any.
Speaker 2: Completely you know, like fifty or sixty or it's always like thirty seven point four or whatever it was. So yeah, and that's that's what you don't realize until you kind of open that door and try to understand how it works well.
Speaker 4: Data transparency is one of the are big problems in research is that good papers make their data available so that any other research can go in and use their data to see if they get the same results.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the big problems.
Speaker 4: And we talked about this briefly before when I think we talked about STATN research is STATIN research is almost exclusively controlled by consortium funded by the drug companies that make statins, and all of that research is published without access to the original data. In fact, it's explicitly and on purpose kept secret from any other researcher. So you will never ever see papers that contradict the results of STATIN papers because no one else can see the data, which means you can't tell who did they eliminate and why, what exactly did they do to the data set to get this result, what did they manipulate about it? And we know some of the things that they do, so there's a peculiar way that they count whether or not someone persisted with the drug or not, which is quite unusual in that kind of research. And that's just one example where data matters. And here's another one which is really important. There was a massive study in the United States called the Minnesota County Experiment in I think it was done in the nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies, and in that what they were trying to prove was that if you took people off the traditional American diet at that time, which was heavy and saturated fat and replace the saturated fat with margarines and seed oils, you would reduce the incidents of heart attacks. Now, the study cost an absolute fortune because unlike the study we're talking about before with about forty people in it, this one had I think almost one hundred thousand people involved and it ran for the better part of a decade. So this thing was massive and hugely expensive and funded by the American government. And it proved nothing in the sense that it didn't prove the hypothesis, which is that there'd be less heart attacks and the people eating margarine, and so they published nothing. So they ran that study and produced a paper at the end of it, which was meaningless. They didn't produce a paper because I presume they had to, but it was meaningless. And recently, I say recently in the last decade, the National Institutes of Health in the US had access to the original data. So they went back looked at the data and said, well, it didn't prove the hypothesis, but did it prove anything else? Because it's a really important and useful data sets. You should make such a huge number of humans and have this effect, Did it prove anything?
Speaker 3: And what they found is.
Speaker 4: That it didn't. Actually, the people who were on the traditional diet had better heart disease outcomes than the people whose diet was changed, and the worse than that. The all cause mortality was much higher in the changed group. So reducing people's cholesterol, which was the aim, actually got worse outcomes, not just from heart disease but from everything. Now everything is usually code for cancer, so there were more people dying of cancer, more people are dying of heart disease. When they re looked at the data, and that was the research that got published by the National Institutes of Health about a decade ago.
Speaker 3: Now that's pretty big news, I would have thought.
Speaker 1: I mean, you think about.
Speaker 2: In reality, what they've done to those people by making the meat this alted diet, which was allegedly better and healthy and produce better health outcomes, was they overall increased morbidity and mortality.
Speaker 3: So it was bad.
Speaker 2: It was literally bad for people, but they buried that. I mean, look about talk about fucking unethical, if not evil. Imagine knowing that this is actually bad for people, but then, because of your ego or your commitment to some kind of authority or financial backing or whatever, you hide that actual evidence.
Speaker 1: Of what you know to be true for whatever range of reasons, like so immoral.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sorry. I don't want to mislead people.
Speaker 4: So just while you were rabbiting on there probably saying really important, I actually looked up the study and I want to be really accurate with some of the things that I just said to you there. So it wasn't one hundred thousand. The cohort was nine douns four hundred and twenty three women and men age twenty to ninety seven, so it was just short of ten thousand. And what they were measuring was the cholesterol and the exposure. So they had serum, they had cholesterol lowering diet that replaced saturated fat with corn oil and corn oil's polyunsaturated margarine, and the control diet was the normal American die at the time, which was high in animal fats and butter and so on. So they then looked at, okay, well what happened when you reanalyze that data, and they found there was a twenty two percent higher risk of death for every thirty milligrams per deesci let, or the more common measure for Australia's point seven million miles for later reduction in cholesterol. So you had a twenty two percent in increase in death for every zero point seven to eight reduction in cholesterol.
Speaker 3: So that's pretty nasty.
Speaker 4: So the people who were being fed the experimental diet, the margarine, were much more likely to die.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I said when you alleged that I was rabbiting on.
Speaker 4: And then there was the all cause increase as well. So the the thing about that is there, at least we could get even if every even if the health authorities have completely ignored that, which they have, at least it was possible to do that analysis. And by going back to that sort start. By the way, anyone who wants to read this, it's in the British Medical Journal in twenty and sixteen and it's by a research at the National Institute of Health. Lead researcher is Chris Ramsden, so that also everyone.
Speaker 2: Just in case you're wondering, there's a bunch of academic search engines, but probably the easiest one.
Speaker 1: Is just Google scholar. So if you just go into Google and literally type in Google.
Speaker 2: Scholar, it'll bring that up and it's free and got It's not quite as good as some of the youbut ones, but it's pretty good, so start there.
Speaker 4: Well, and this one you can have the full text of because it's in the BMJ and it's open access. So for anyone in your audience who's saying, oh, that can't be true, you can't possibly it can't possibly be true that a cholesterol lowering diet actually increases your risk of heart disease, well there you go.
Speaker 3: It is. It's well documented. The data has.
Speaker 4: Been there for decades, ignored for decades because it contradicted the mainstream message. Ramsden looked at it again and said, well, actually, this data says the opposite. It says you're in you're in big trouble if you do what the health experts tell you to do. And still the health advice was totally resistant to that information. And that's what we're fighting against is you have a consensus and the average doctor today in Australia would still say to you, oh, oh you should be you know, you should be eating margarines and lowering your cholesterol. And yet the evidence, very very high quality evidence, says that's nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just writing down the topic of tonight's you just gave it to me. Thanks, health advice, Who to trust? Hey, you know it's hilarious. Is there's I don't know seven a questions or something that chatters? Yeah, we're currently on number one, but I'm going to tell you something funny.
Speaker 1: At the end. I've got one more question for you, which is a great question. Probably won't be as good as chatters, of course. At the end, Chatter says.
Speaker 2: If you want, I can one sharpen these into more provocative and confrontational versions like really, two rewrite them in full you project conversational tone, or three add neuro behavior, change angles to align with your metaperception work. And then it goes just tell me the vibe.
Speaker 1: So funny. All right, So let's wind up.
Speaker 2: But I want to wind up with this could take you thirty seconds or five minutes or ten, it doesn't matter. So some people are listening to this going that's interesting, that's fascinating. I'm fucking terrified. But how do I know who to trust?
Speaker 1: Like? That's what? Like? Who do I listen to? Who do I not listen to?
Speaker 2: And I know that's not an arbitrary answer, but how do I know who or what to trust with this stuff? That's literally going to impact everything from my healthpan to my lifespan.
Speaker 4: Do you know it's a lot of easier these days now that we have access to AI in this sense, my answer to that has always been only trust people who can point, you know, who can put a footnote after every fact they state. Lawyers and law students are trained with this. We're trained that our opinion is valueless, our opinion is nonsense. Our opinion doesn't matter to a court. All that matters to a court is the evidence. And so we are trained that whenever we state anything the sun is shining, then we should put a little number after that, and you know, put a reference that tells where we got that information from. So and the reason the courts require us to do that is so that if they don't believe us for whatever reason, or have cause to investigate further, they can dig themselves. They can go and see look at the footnote and see if they agree with the evidence that the sun is shining. And anyone who does that, who is trained to do that, is always saying to the reader, don't trust me. You don't have to trust me. I'm not requiring you to trust me if you don't think I'm what I'm saying is true, then read the evidence that I'm basing this statement on, which is why every single book I've ever written comes with a complete index of the studies I am relying on, and they are all footnoted.
Speaker 3: So you don't have to trust me.
Speaker 4: If you think what I'm saying is bs, go to the source that I say I'm getting it from, Shove that into an AI and say does this say that?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 2: And also the thing about you is that you are the last person to try to shove an opinion down someone's throat or an ideas well.
Speaker 3: I'm not entitled.
Speaker 4: I'm not entitled to an opinion because I'm not an expert. The problem with experts, though, is that they give opinions that are not necessarily evidence based, but are leaps based on they know A and D, so B and C is probably true because they've never had to investigate it. They've never had to satisfy themselves that it is in fact true. And I don't get to do that because I'm not an expert. I don't get to make statements about diet without verifying that the statement has evidence behind it, whereas an expert will happily do that based on Oh, I've heard people say this, yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's so like, there's probably you're not all over this because you don't follow probably a lot of the people I follow, but or who come.
Speaker 3: Across my I don't follow you, Craig, but you.
Speaker 1: Know you don't need to. There's nothing new.
Speaker 4: I must have followed you somewhere, because I do every now and then see your inspiration quotes come up somewhere or other.
Speaker 1: Oh well, at least you call them that. Thank you. I'm surprised you didn't say self help dogshit.
Speaker 3: No, Chatters is doing a great job for you.
Speaker 1: What was I going to say?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a whole bunch of influencers and quite literally legitimately qualified and shudo qualified people who making all of these claims about all of these things, and invariably, when you get through it, they're actually selling a supplement or a product or a program or are something that this whole kind of spiel up front is meant to be. Oh, here's just some information that might help you. And then you get through and it's like, by the way, I've got this range of supplements and it's all this, and that's all that, and it doesn't.
Speaker 4: That doesn't automatically mean that what they're saying is not true. It just means be careful because this person has other motivations. But it might be the case that the person has in fact done the research, has looked to be evidence and has come to the conclusion that the only possible way that you can achieve this outcome is by buying this supplement, and they believe in it so much that they've invested their life's fortune, you know, life savings into you know, sending it out there.
Speaker 3: That might be the case. It probably isn't, but it might be.
Speaker 4: And and you shouldn't automatically discount something just because someone stands to make money out of what they're saying. It just means you have to be much more careful. Yeah, I agree, you're making a fortune out of our conversation.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm just sitting on a pile of cash as we speak, actually chafing my ass.
Speaker 1: I should put some pants on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so you have to be careful about what Craig tells us because you know, you know, you'll know that money he could be covering what he says, he could he could be only presenting me because he's actually you know, he's he's part of I don't know, big meat or something and try to encourage you to to eat eat more.
Speaker 1: Beef, fat beef. Tellow that's exactly it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even trust me, and I am me, so definitely trust me. Do you want to plug anything or point anyone in a direction today? You never normally do that.
Speaker 3: But don't.
Speaker 4: Well, I haven't even got an article to point for people to just as always. You know, if you keep an eye on my sub stack, which you can get to from my website, which is David Gillespie dot org, then you know I'll probably try and put out an article tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Don't ask me what it's about.
Speaker 4: I haven't thought about it yet, although I was interested in something that caught my eye this morning about them someone suggesting that, you know, it should be compulsory for children to be slathered in sunscreen at school, and since I think most sunscreen is a toxic I might write about that.
Speaker 1: You definitely should do that.
Speaker 2: You could you could write another article one day about no that's going to say who to trust and why?
Speaker 1: But I feel like that could that could not work out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: The short answer to that is trust anyone who can show you where they're getting their information from so that you can go check it out yourself. You want someone who says, I don't want you to believe me, because you don't have to. You can just go and look at it yourself.
Speaker 1: Somebody who's not doing any arm twisting. Mate.
Speaker 2: I will say goodbye off here, but as always, appreciate you thanks for being on the show.
Speaker 3: Talk to you, Seah.