Speaker 1: I'll get a team Welcome to another installing the you project. It's me, it's you, It's bloody Tiffany and CUK. Who's heading down south to the thriving metropolis that is is it Lonceston?
Speaker 2: Specific Devenport, Devenport, Port Van Diemen's Land.
Speaker 1: At the top of For our international guests, Tasmania is the bit off the bottom of mainland Australia, the bit off the bottom. It'll be known moving forward as the bit off. No, it won't. I love Tazzy. What's the population of Devenport, give or take tiff Is it like I'm going to go twenty thousand?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think you might be right, but I can't remember.
Speaker 1: I do a little quick search now or it could be I reckon it's it's not going to be fifty, but it's not going to be ten. I'm thinking. My guess is Ballpark twenty to twenty five.
Speaker 2: And the winner is twenty six point one five. That was in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Well it's probably back to twenty now.
Speaker 3: It's been money.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I love Tazzy. If I could only live in one state that wasn't Victoria, I would live there. Everyone goes Queensland. I would live in Tazzy. People don't get how beautiful Tazzy is.
Speaker 3: It is beautiful, oh you.
Speaker 1: Just basically you're on a beach wherever you go, Like there's a beach three feet away and everyone thinks it's freezing. It's actually got, if not the lowest, one of the lowest rainfalls in Australia. And of course it's a little bit colder than Victoria, but in summer it's fucking amazing. There's so many beautiful things. It's like for me and I mean this with love Tasmania, so don't get mad at me. It's like living in nineteen eighty five. It's just like the technology and everything's there if you want it, but just the intensity and the speed and the energy is just like it's nothing like Melbourne or Sydney or Brisbane or Perth, not that they're all the same either, but yeah, I love it. So if I had to live somewhere else that wasn't Melps, that's where I would go.
Speaker 2: It's got a good energy and the Northwest Coast is coming a long way in terms of a holiday destination. In my humble opinion, last time I was home was the first time I felt they've really started to make it that appealing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's lots to do.
Speaker 1: And the beauty of twenty twenty five is like you can depending on what kind of business you're in. But because so much business now is done virtually or online. You know, it's like you think about your work. I think about my work, even my research and my study now or my write ups and everything. I could do about ninety percent of my well that's not I couldn't do the corporate speaking, but putting that aside, that's a big bit of it. But all the other stuff I could do from anywhere in the world, like we could do you know, I could be in New York and you could be in bloody Devonport. We could still do We could still do the same thing. You know, I can do my coaching, my mentoring program that have just started. I could do, you know, my research from anywhere. So that's so I think it's made the world smaller in that way and more accessible, and it means that you can you know, I've been thinking, I don't mean to sound like a wanker when I say this, because I try to talk about it but I'm very fortunate that I have a place on the peninsula. It's very small and humble. It's essentially a shack everyone. It's nothing fucking fancy, think of a garage anyway. But I'm going to go down there and live down there some for some months this year, just because it's so beautiful around there, and I thought, you know, from where I am right now to there is about an hour but it's on the ocean. It's four hundred meters from the ocean. And like I just I bought this joint years ago, really cheaply. I was really lucky. But I I don't go there, like I just don't use it enough. But I think I'm going to go, you know, not for six months, but I think I'm going to go down there for like a month at a time and live down there because there's nothing that I even if I've got gigs in the city, I can still drive up or I can still get to the airport. So I think I'm going to start to do a little bit of that.
Speaker 3: You and the new puppy.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for puppy.
Speaker 3: I can't wait for a puppy.
Speaker 1: I keep looking at But let me tell you that is a way better place for a puppy because there's like it's a great like it's it's it's like the country. It's not even it's like a big yard with a bloody you know, cyclone fence with treated pole, bloody logs and a farm gate. Yeah, that's that's you could have comfortably. You could have three dogs down there. So I'm ex I did. And if you haven't heard everyone on, well, my intention at this point in time is when I finished my study, which is about middle of the year, I'm going to buy a puppy. I'm going to buy a puppy. And I've narrowed it down either a Golden Retriever, which I know, you know, like I just I've had a Golden before and I love them. Maybe a labby, but they kind of get fat. You really got to be on top of them as in And I don't mean that sounded bad. I mean they get unhealthy because they eat that shame of dog. No, I don't you know, but they fucking et everything that's not nailed down right. They're like food obsessed. They're like me when I was fourteen. I'm essentially I'm essentially an old labrador. That's essentially or maybe I think maybe a border colligue. Anyway, so you and I are going to have a brief chat about one of the things that you talk about and I talk about a fair bit. And we haven't done this. We've probably done it once a chatter on this at some stage, but I don't know if we've ever done a whole episode on women and training. And we'll talk a little bit about older women, younger women, menopausal, perimenopausal. We'll see where we go. And just so these are not recommendations, but tips a trainer and tips also an athlete, and I'm an old dodgy trainer as well, So we thought what we might open the door because people are I think a couple of things are true at the moment. More and more people are starting to exercize, which is great. There's more and more awareness around not only the physiological you know, benefits of being in shape and greater bone density and more muscle and reduce arcopedia or muscle wasting, but also we're starting to understand the emotional and psychological and cognitive benefits of training. I know that when I train early in the day, I my brain is in a better biochemical state, my emotions are in a better state, and I tend to be happier. I tend to be happier. So maybe I should stop training at four PM.
Speaker 3: I was going to say that, and what we trained at four for?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's and so how often do you train? What's your Do you have a set protocol? I know you do bits and pieces with me, but most of your training you do on your own. Do you have a particular program or is it somewhat intuitive for you?
Speaker 2: It's shifting and changing a lot at the moment, but it's always I've always been when I train by myself, I'm inclined to do my intense training or cardio training or HIT training in the mornings. That's when I'm tell people what hit HIT is high intensity interval training, So anything that I'm going to get sweaty and push myself get my heart rate up high, which is the style of training I really love and I'm best suited for that in the morning. When I am training for boxing, I've always had to train in the afternoons because that's when the coach is available to train, and I know that that's a part of what tends to eventually burn me out. It's not my best. It's not the best for my body. My body works really well if I get up, get the heart pumpy in the morning, and I'm probably a bit better at the resistance training to strength stuff at in the afternoon when we tend to train.
Speaker 1: Are you training with so you're forty year one or two?
Speaker 3: Forty one? Be forty two on the first of May?
Speaker 1: Are you training Happy birthday for May one? I'll definitely forget it, no one, because I just wrote it down and I'll probably put it in my phone and still ignore it. No way. Are you training at forty one forty two in May? Are you thinking about Obviously, it's still a long way from being old. I'm still waiting to get old. But do you train thinking about longevity and health span? And you know, waking up in a minute and you go, fuck, now, I'm fifty? How's my bone density? How's my posture? How's my energy? How's my function? Do you think like that? Or not at all? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I do. I do, Finick think like that.
Speaker 2: And my training over the last one to two years has has forcefully changed a lot. I've been forced to think about that and acknowledge what I want to get out of my training versus what I need to get out of my training versus what my body can now adapt to and handle in training.
Speaker 1: Right, Can I ask you a personal question, yes, just because I think it's relevant and we can take this out. Do you get regular periods? Because a lot of girls who are very lean and muscular like you are a menoreeicy don't. They don't get a peer Is that the right term. I think it is they don't get a period all the time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'm regular, I've never but years ago when I I mean, I spent a long time on the contraceptive pill, so I couldn't tell you if in some of the depths of my hard training and early boxing training, if I was if I was pushing myself too hard, well, I would have been pushing myself too hard then evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I'm still regular, But I know that my body doesn't recover the way it did before. And there's a few things that I think go into that. I think by the time we get to this age, there's a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 3: There's both just.
Speaker 2: There's the life stuff and there's the potential for long term burnout, which I've probably done for a long time. I tinkered with ADHD medication on a very small scale for a couple of years, but I came to a conclusion I think that that was too stimulating for my system, a system that I want to be able to push and create my own dopamine, and so I think that that was a negative for me. I've gone off that now because I felt like it was it was like taking high amount of caffeine. It was like borrowing from a system that you can't pay back. So I felt I feel that for me it was too much of a cost.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's super interesting. How long that's Thanks for sharing that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, right with asking these questions. It's like it's like when I did an episode on how to be good at shitting right, Everyone's like, oh my god, you can't talk about that. I'm like, well, firstly, everyone shits right, so fucking settled down with your offense, like fucking rain it in, like what you don't pooh? And it's not like, you know, hardly anyone ever gets constipated. Look at you. I mean every fucking you know. One of the biggest issues that I used to have with my female clients constipation. I would say two thirds of my female clients would be semi regularly constipated. And I mean along with other standouts like they can't sleep or anxiety or you know, but there are some really And it's not like I went searching for this. You know, this is just data. I literally did tens of thousands of sessions with women. So I don't have a preoccupation with periods or menopause or perimenopause or pooing or this. But these are just fucking biological functions that come with being you know, some of them with being a female and some of them just with being a human. But it amuses me that people get freaked out when you talk about having a shit. Will trust me not shitting is bad for you. So if I can give you some advice or direction on how to improve one's shitting efficiency, fucking lean in, because what part of.
Speaker 3: This conversation made you think of shit.
Speaker 1: That? Like sometimes when I open a door, I think, fuck do I want to open? Like when I asked you about you know, your cycle, I'm like, do I do this? And I think I don't. You know, I don't want to be inappropriate, but at the same time, you know it's it's this is just part of the reality of life as a woman at a certain for a long time in your life anyway, and then that you know. So, I think if we're talking about women's health broadly today, let's talk about all of it, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, if you want to ask me anything or say anything, just interrupt me.
Speaker 3: Do your cycle regular, my.
Speaker 1: Cycle, my shitting cycle. I've told you I'm a fucking world class. If it was an Olympic sport, I'd be a four time Olympic gold medalist. I'll be I'll be in the fucking shitting Museum. There'd be a statue of me and the foyer people be like, oh, there is the Michael Jordan of shitting. They'd be like, you should now.
Speaker 3: You now you remind you back into that should.
Speaker 1: Michael Jordan of shitting? That could be I'm thinking that should be today's time. But I feel like I might get I might get contacted by his people. So for you with training, I'm going to mention some stuff. So strength, power, speed, cardiovascular fitness, balance, coordination, flexibility, reaction time. These are all components of fitness, like, what are the things putting aside boxing because you're not boxing anymore, but just in terms of variables that you can train to create change what's your priority.
Speaker 3: Strength?
Speaker 2: And so doctor Stacy seems that I had on One of the protocols she talks about is sit training, sprint interval training, and she talks about the benefits of that, especially for women as we age, and so that is really short bursts of really hard efforts in things. So I've moved from going probably more hard endurance like I.
Speaker 3: Would I would.
Speaker 2: Call my I would say that I was doing an interval training session, yet my intervals would just be rather than rest, they would just be a different exercise. So it would just be me doing high intensity explosive stuff for a longer period of time. I've gone from that into just going really hard short bursts and not necessarily a full session of that. So do some strength and do a little bit of that at the end.
Speaker 1: So so I'm just going to give everyone an exam So if people are going what could that look like. Firstly, there are a range of different protocols for high intensity training, but an example would be and again this is not a recommendation, not a prescription, but I will give you so a program that I used to do that would be two minutes on an excise bike, just warming up. So zero to two minutes is just steady state pedaling. Now, you can either do this with a regular bike or one of those what they call bionic bikes where you use your arms as well, where you push and pull and pedal. But or you could do it on a rower, or you could do it on a bloody stare mart. You could pretty much do it on it. You could do it on a grind or an arm, but you could do it on anything really. But the protocol would be, say zero to two minutes, just steady state warming up, and then once you get to the two minute mark. And again this is not a recommendation. See your doctor, get a clearance all of that shit. But the protocol that I did was from the two minute mark to two twenty, I would sprint. I mean sprint, like if somebody said here's one thousand dollars, go harder, I couldn't, right, So two minutes to two twenty, sprint the remainder of the minute, which is forty seconds recover, right, And I would do that up to the ten minute mark, So that means I'm sprint recover, sprint recover for eight minutes, and once I got to the ten minute mark, I would wind it back and just slow pedal for another two minutes. So the overall protocol is twelve minutes, and of that twelve minutes, four is steady state pedaling, so warming up and then recovering or warming down or cooling down. But the middle, the eight minutes in the middle is twenty on forty off. Now, if you think of eight times twenty, that's only one hundred and sixty seconds of hard work, which is not even three minutes. So in that fourteen minute program, you're not even doing three minutes of intense training. So that is an example. And as you well, NotI if doing shit like that is super effective, right yeah, yeah, yeah, And when you do the twenty you're like, how fucking long can twenty seconds take? And then when you're doing the recovery, you're like, no, that's not forty that was like fifteen.
Speaker 2: And on those assault bikes, the ones with the arms and legs, the worst thing ever, worst thing ever.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and you feel like, I mean, time bends, time distorts. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. It's like the times where I've you made you and some of the others that I train go, all right, we're going to do We're just going to do a body weight hang for ninety seconds, and you're like ninety seconds. I'm not talking about chin ups, you know, I'm just talking about just holding onto a bar and your legs hanging and just hanging body weight ninety seconds feels like about seven minutes.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It just and you look up. I do it too, and I look down and I'm like sixty seconds. I'm like, fuck, I've got thirty seconds to go, and then twenty eight seconds. I look twenty eight seconds later, I look down and I'm only at sixty five. I'm like, how the fuck did that take five seconds? You know that was like twenty eight seconds. All right, So strength, what's your recommendation? So for women who are going look, I really don't do any strength training. So the benefits of strength training among many other things. You know, there's a cognitive benefit. We know that lifting weights makes our brain work better. There's more science than that, but that's the snapshot. We know it improves bone density, we know it improves muscle mass or increases muscle mass. We know that it improves day to day function because you can do shit what we call activities of daily living, getting in and out of a chair, get up and down a ladder. You know, when we trip, we can recover. What's your recommendation on complete novices who go I don't lift weights, but I want to get started? How often and how much?
Speaker 2: At least a couple of times a week at least like I reckon. There's a big different. I reckon three times a week is really good. Two times a week okay, if that's all you can do, But you want to be training hard, harder, and just getting someone to start, like I would recommend, even if you can't afford a personal trainer forever, have a personal trainer to start with, so you know, you know, you can learn where you're actually at, and you can learn how to safely lift the weights and understand programming so that you've got an idea of how to do it by yourself.
Speaker 1: And if you can afford one thousand dollars an hour, tips available.
Speaker 3: Yep, straight hand for that.
Speaker 1: Start saving. But also, you know the interesting thing about so let's talk a little bit about intensity. So you jump on the back of this if you want to. So intensity is relative to the individual. So for me, doing six gin ups is easy. For somebody else that would be impossible. And that's not because I'm brilliant. That's because I've been doing chin ups for fucking fifty years. Right, So for TIF to run three k's in fifteen minutes would be easy. For me to run fifteen three k's in fifteen minutes would be real hard for me at the moment, right, So it's not about the distance or the time, or the weight, or the range of movement or the volume, or it's about how that affects you and how intense or hard that is for you. So when we talk about working, you know, it's for my old man at the moment, who's having some issues. God bless Ronnie, walking two hundred meters is like someone else running a marathon because he's got is in all sorts at the moment. He's got some issues, right, But you know, I'm trying to get him back because he's had a couple of medical problems. But there might be you know, six months from now he might walk two hundred meters easily, but right now very difficult. So what we're always trying to do is we're not true. We're not comparing ourselves to anyone. We're not trying to do a set weight or a set run and a set time. What we're doing is we're paying attention to our body. And the point of exercise, apart from having a bit of fun and apart from cracking a sweat, the point of exercise is to change your body in a way that you want it to change, you know, all right, tell me about I've never asked you this question. What about flexibility, range of movement, stretching? How do you rate that? Is that important for you? Not important for you?
Speaker 2: It's important, however, doesn't get a good look in to my training disclaimer though, I for a long time I did ale of training called zoo training, which was body weight training, and that was amazing for flexibility and mobility. And that's so that like, I valued that a lot because I realized that all of a sudden I had great flexibility and mobility without happening to lay down and stretch and do all the things. If you don't stretch or include some sort of functional mobility training in your in your exercise, then you pay the price. Like you end up very tight, very sore, and essentially injured at some point.
Speaker 1: Do you work with any ladies who are perimenopausal or menopause or postmenopause.
Speaker 3: Well, for sure, yeah, most of most of my clients.
Speaker 1: So what what adjustments or adaptations do you make for that? Like what's your kind of and again, remember everyone, this is we're just chatting. Neither of us the doctors, but we're both trained to people. So how do you adapt and adjust for that? And what do you have to do differently?
Speaker 2: You know what recurs has been recurring with a few of my clients. Frozen shoulder is a thing that a lot of women get when they're men are pausal, which is which is interesting. I mean, I just I'm just always with the age group, Like a lot of my clients are sixty or high fifties to sixty plus, and so we're always working around how the body's functioning, niggles, injuries, and I have people I make sure that if people have got niggles and injuries, they're going to see hopefully the people I recommend, but they're going to get advice on some prescripts, prescribed rehab or prehab, so that I can work with that.
Speaker 1: What's prehab. What's prehab.
Speaker 2: Prehab is before you do yourself an injury.
Speaker 1: It's injury avoidance, it's prevented it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I think. So I need to view a guy years ago. Now, it was probably three years ago. I could be wrong, but I'm pre sure.
Speaker 2: His name is Dean Morby Strength Guy, the powerlifted guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, correct, and he all he does. I don't know what he does now, but he was a chiropractor who went nah and just started training older people in powerlifting. So they do other stuff, but primarily, well, what they were doing primarily back then was deadlifts and Ben's press and squat. And he had people who had never picked up a weight at sixty or sixty five who were deadlifting their own body weight and scuorting their own body weight and bench pressing half body weight, which is bloody amazing. Is bloody amazing. And so what I love about and that people don't really get this. You know, it's like that the body at any age, as long as the person is alive and can move, the body can still adapt. You know, I've told this story three times, but I'll tell it again, just quickly So I started training a really old guy years ago called Abraham. And when I met him, he was in his eighties. He'd never been in a gym, it'd never lifted weights, and he was the dad of a friend of mine. And he couldn't really walk. He could walk with a frame, but not well. And anyway, he was just weak. He was just weak. It wasn't that he had you know, of course he had a bit of you know, he had muscle wasting, od sycopenna or but he didn't have cancer, he didn't have heart disease. He was just old and weak from you know, doing not much and sitting. And I started training him in his eighties and he got Now, when he started, I tried to get him to bench press a ten kilo or a twenty pound bar sextually nine kilos, but whatever twenty pound bar, not a twenty kilo, a twenty pound bar. He couldn't. He couldn't do it. He couldn't do one rep when I finished training him. And this doesn't sound like a lot, but consider someone in their mid eighties. He was benching about ninety pounds, so forty kilos. So we'd gone from can't through twenty to doing ninety if he's starting weight was twenty, it was four and a half of four hundred and fifty percent improvement. He went from walking with a frame to walking with a stick to walking with nothing, and his functional strength went through the roof. But also, and all of that was amazing, But what was fucking awesome was he was so happy, so happy. He could get in and out of a car, he could walk up the stairs because we were on the first floor, he could walk up the stairs to the gym. When he first started, I had to borderline carry him up because he would take one step. I would hold him and then another step, and then we'd get three steps up and take a break. But six months later he was just walking out of the car, up the little ramp, up the stairs into the gym, doing a workout, flirting with all the girls, having a great time, hanging out, talking shit, high fiving. It's fucking incredible, you know. And it's it's where people would constantly people are saying to me, how old is he? And I'm like, he's eighty six or whatever he was right, and they're like, that's fucking amazing. I go, it isn't. It isn't like it is great. But the problem is that with a lot of people who are, you know, into their seventies or eighties, nobody's really telling them, hey, you know what you can. You're never going to run a marathon, and you're not going to run one hundred meters in ten seconds, you're not going to bench press a house, but you can actually get stronger and more functional and healthier and not a tiny bit, but maybe a lot, depending on your starting point. So that's why I get excited about people post fifty starting to think about this stuff and more importantly, more importantly implement it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it just opens the door, especially like if you've got someone like that who doesn't who's never done it before and doesn't think they can. It opens the door psychologically on so much all of a sudden, life doesn't hurt. It doesn't hurt to walk down the stairs, and you're just a little bit bountier, and there's heaps of stuff that just goes on in the back of your mind. That's a metaphor for life. When you're lifting heavy shit or getting punched in the face, or rolling around a gym floor, laughing with other people for fun and doing hard things.
Speaker 1: And isn't it great when you get to a certain age where a lot of people are pretty much maybe not consciously but subconsciously going, well, I've well and truly peaked. It's all down here from here. I just need to try and manage the descent, you know. And you go, what if it's not all downhill? What if you know, maybe some things like my eyesight's not fucking brilliant, I'll give you the tip, but my biceps are outstanding, So it's not all bad news, you know, So swings and roundabouts, you know. I mean, like my point is, of course, of course there's going to be cognitive and physiological the client, of course, but the rate of decline is somewhat, you know, manageable. And there are certain things like if you're speaking of flexibility, which we were a minute ago, Like if I did a sit and reach test, now you know what that is everyone, where you sit with your legs flat on the floor and your toes out in front of you, there's zero chance I could reach my toes, which is not a good admission, but anyway, that's just my reality. So let's say my potential is ten out of ten. Well, right now, my function is a three out of ten or a two out of ten from a flexibility point of view. But here's the thing. If I spent the next which I probably won't because fuck it, But if I spent the next six months stretching properly like I should, my flexibility would improve out of sight. It just goes to show you that a sixty one year old male who innately is not flexible can still improve flexibility and range, movement and function a few other things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Makes a good point around and I alluded to it before, Like what do you want to get out of your training? What's important to you? Like I think about that so much now that there's not a sports specific I'm like, all right, why am I doing? What are the different styles of exercise I'm doing across the week? And what are they all? What's the purpose of them all? What do I want to get out of them? If I'm doing runs, how far do I run and run? And if I want to.
Speaker 3: Get better at it?
Speaker 2: Right now? Is my goal to get better with distance or speed?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What do I want out of that? And what does that choice? What does that mean for my energy and my body and my function? If I choose that I want to get better at running further, or I want to get better at running faster. What's the outcome of that? Like this so much comes into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was talking to a guy yesterday at Coffee Central and he's fifty seven, so he's four years younger than me, and we're talking about stuff. And I said to him, and he's he would self admittedly, he's a two out of ten, right, he's got heaps of work to do. And I said, imagine, so he's fifty seven and a half. I said, imagine if two and a half years, right, you're sixty and on your sixtieth birthday, you're way fucking better than you are today. He's like, is that possible? I go, dude, that is probable. It's not guaranteed. But if you did, and I reeled off the things I said, if you did, like and all of these adaptations ad just your body responding to doing the right thing, like if you stop drinking seven days a week, if you throw away the cigarettes, if you start to sleep better, if you lift some weights, if you do some cardiov And yes, there's quite a few things on the to do list, but fucking hell, you can't get another body champ. So let's not wait for diabetes or the first heart attack. You know, sometimes the first sign of a problem for people is death, So let's not wait for that. And I mean, that's that's confronting, but it's fucking true, you know. So and I had this talk with him and I said, I know not, I think not, I'm guessing, but I absolutely know that you could be infinitely healthier and more functional and more operational than you are now when you're sixty. And he was pretty excited about that, you know. And that's that's great, that's one thing. But does that mean he's going to do the work. Absolutely not. And so I think as we start to wind up, because You've got to go and I've got to go. But like thinking about, you know, you're forty one, nearly forty two, what do I want to look for your function like when I'm forty five? That's not a bad question, you know. And it's like same question I go with my what do I want the podcast to be in a year? What do I want to okay in a year from now? And I've finished my study and I'm doing this, what do I want to be doing okay? And what do I want my life to look like on my body or my business, on my brand. Cool. Now, if you've got to reverse engineer that, Craig, what do you need to do now to make that one year idea a one year reality? And for that guy, the two and a half year idea of having this sixty year old, strong, fit, functional body. All right, well now you're fifty seven and a half. What needs to happen about now to make that outcome, that highly desirable outcome likely? You know? And it's I mean, at some stage it's always going to come down to whether or not we're going to do the work, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's your protocol around getting people to shift their identity into Because.
Speaker 3: Picking a goal.
Speaker 2: Saying in two years time, I want to look like this, Like picking a goal that far ahead and then doing the work is like the whole the journey is a destination. How did you manage getting that shift like you did it for thousands of people for a long time? Yes, what landed for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Yeah, that's a really good question. And I think that for me, just specific to what you said, it's not so for me. It's not so much about how I look. Of course, I've got an ego, and of course I don't want to look bad, but it's way more about how I work, like a health and function and wellness of course, but I think for a lot of people, rather than setting goals and achieving goals, which is not the worst operating system, but rather thinking about like everyone who's listening. If I could independently talk to everyone individually, I should say and say, do you want to be as healthy as you can with as good behaviors and habits as you can embrace for as long as possible. They're all going to say yes, Like nobody wants to be in good like that dude doesn't want to be in good shape in two and a half years and then out of shape, like he wants to be in shape when he's sixty and sixty two and sixty five and seventy and seventy five and eighty. Right. So it's good to have goals, and it's good to have structure and accountability and process, but what we really want to do over time is we want to create a new default setting. So this is just how we are now. Like you don't need you don't need motivation, discipline or self control to lift weights three days a week or four days a week, you don't need, you know, there might be the other day where you feel like dog shit and you don't want to go for a run. Maybe you need a bit of discipline then. But generally speaking, you and I are very hardwired that working out, lifting weights, doing cardio is analogous to cleaning our teeth or having a shower, or putting petrol in the car or buying food. It's just a thing that we do. That's a part of our life, you know. And when that when we can create habits and behaviors that support our best self, that's that's the goal. Where we're not now relying on structure and focus and accountability and motivation and discipline. And because you can't do that forever. So yeah, for me, it's about designing a life and then implementing that design so that that actually just becomes you know, who and how we are. And so I've said this many times, but when when usually it's blokes come up to me at corporate gigs and say, oh, how do you stay so bloody disciplined to do that?
Speaker 3: And how do you?
Speaker 1: And I go, I don't like, really, I'm not I'm disciplined. The only thing I have to be disciplined with at the moment is my research, because it's it's hard and I don't love it, but that's I don't hate it either, and I value it and I'm grateful for what I'm doing. But that requires discipline and self control, right But it's not something I'm going to do forever. But in terms of the other the health variables, we're talking about food and sleep and exercise, and that's very hardwired for me. It's just like it would be harder for me, in fact, if someone said, here's a million dollars, you've got to eat shit for a year and not exercise. I would go, not a fucking chance. I'll go keep you a million dollars. There's not a chance, zero chance, you know. So anyway, you enjoy your trip to Taz, Thank you. What are you going to do there? Just quickly just blow.
Speaker 2: Out the one hundred and one candles on my grandfather's cake.
Speaker 1: That's so exciting. Speak Why didn't we talk about him one hundred and one.
Speaker 3: I'm going to have him on the podcast when I'm down there. I'm going to record with him.
Speaker 1: That's that's so good. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you call him pop grandad? What do you call him?
Speaker 3: Call him pop pop?
Speaker 1: Who? What's his What do I call him?
Speaker 3: Poppy cook?
Speaker 1: Poppy cook? Yeah, not poppy cock poppy cook. And I don't want you speaking any poppy cock poppy cook because I'll listen to the fucking episode.
Speaker 3: So keep it real, bro, I have to call it poppy cock with poppy Cook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chatting poppy cock with poppy Cook. And by the way, poppy Cook, get in the gym, bro, I can start some squats alright, have a good trip, Cookie, Thanks Hops.