Speaker 1: Lateens. Welcome to the Late Base.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Cayla Bond and Dnika Di Giorgio. Coming up tonight, American supermodel Tyra Banks has relocated her whole family to Australia, but not because of Donald Trump. Wait till you hear the real reason why. We'll get to that later. Plus when we look at what's making news tomorrow, a big story on the front page of Tomorrow's Australian as Peter Dutton makes a big announcement regarding changes to taxation, and the ABC under fire for featuring a controversial Queensland senator on their program Australian Story during the election campaign. All of that coming up, But first breaking news tonight, the UK's highest court has ruled that transgendered women are not in fact women. Five Supreme Court judges unanimously agreed that the terms woman and sex refer to biological realities, not to what they called acquired gender. Furthermore, they ruled that the concept of sex is binary. Here's one of the Supreme Court judges, Lord Hodge, explaining the decision.
Speaker 4: The unanimous decision of this Court is that the terms women and sex in the Equality Act two thousand and ten refer to a biological woman and biological sex.
Speaker 3: Now there were massive celebrations outside the court will show you some vision of that. Women's rights activists saying that this decision means gender self identifying is effectively dead in the UK. The decision follows a year long legal battle between a women's rights group for Women's Scotland and the Scottish government over the definition of a woman. The Scottish government wanted to argue that their gender recognition certificates should determine what is and is not a woman, while the women's group successfully argued that everybody has always understood women to be a biological term, not a term of self identification calor.
Speaker 2: This is a massive decision and really.
Speaker 3: Something that will have far reaching effects into every area of policy within the UK as.
Speaker 1: Well as should.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, if you had told my great grandparents that in twenty twenty five there would be a court case in the United Kingdom deciding whether or not you had to be born a woman in order to be born a woman, they probably would have chucked a back of a cold water over you and told you you were mad. But that's where we've landed in twenty twenty five, and thank god the court has made the correct decision here.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is you know what we're saying. This is fantastic, it's brilliant.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is the least extraordinary thing I've ever seen. It ought to be the least extraordinary thing I've ever seen in my life that a court can affirm that, yes, you actually need to be a biological woman in order to be a woman. But that's where we've landed where we need courts to rule these kinds of things. Now that this decision has been made in the UK, i'd like to think that it would be replicated across the Western world.
Speaker 1: If it came to it.
Speaker 5: But of course we've had cases already here, like a Giggle versus Tickle, where it seems that Australian courts are taking a different point of view on these matters. And as the court pointed out, this doesn't mean that you can now discriminate against transgender people. They are still, under law not able to be discriminated against just like any other person. What this simply says is that in order to be legally classified a woman, you have to be born a woman, and that allows the protection of things like women's sport and women's bathrooms and other exclusively female places. And so it should be that a court even has to tell us that is insane.
Speaker 6: I just think, how on earth is this a debate in twenty twenty five when a court has to decide or make that decision that if you are indeed a biological man and you decide one day that you want to wear a dress, you are therefore.
Speaker 7: Not a woman.
Speaker 6: Yet somehow it's taken a court.
Speaker 7: In the UK to come to this decision. Look for years.
Speaker 6: The problem is is that there's this been, this woke ideology which has been peddled NonStop by the left, desperate really to actually erase women.
Speaker 7: And we've seen it here in Australia, as you.
Speaker 6: Mentioned, but particularly overseas, under the guise of tolerance and under the guise of oh well, we've got hurt feelings, when really it is only to protect a very small minority of people because we know though that gender is fixed, it is a biological reality male and female, boy and girl. But if we look here in Australia, we've got a big problem here. And I actually think the Coalition has been quite spineless on this matter from the very beginning, because they should have come out and said no male and female two genders, simple as that they should say it is time to we're going to do something about kicking out men and women's sports. And I know that Peter Dutton has said that that is the case that he does agree with that will do something about it, actually put it into law. And the more we allow this warped gender ideology to fester, well, the more we are at risk of a very confused next generation. And political correctness simply should not be not defeat science and common practice. So I applaud this judge in the UK for making this decision, but the fact that it's had to come to this house sad.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the erasure of women, Danika. We've had another great decision come down today in New Zealand as well.
Speaker 1: Again this is I mean, this is just common sense stuff.
Speaker 5: It's crazy that we have to be sitting here lauding it, but that's where we've landed these days. In New Zealand, the Health Department had stopped referring to pregnant women and started talking about pregnant people and people who have a cervix, and people who can give childbirth, all this sort of business. Well, the government has said none of that anymore. It is pregnant women.
Speaker 1: Take a look.
Speaker 8: When it comes to a pregnant belly. It's usually easy to tell who's expecting, but what their pronouns are may not always be as clear. So how thin Zed adopted a gender neutral term pregnant people, a term now being shelved following a directive from the minister.
Speaker 9: I'm minister responsible for women's health, and therefore I think it's perfectly acceptable for me to be able to talk about women's health.
Speaker 8: Last month, she sent a letter to how Inz outlining the change.
Speaker 9: This isn't about a excluding anyone. This is about being clear about a messaging and I didn't you know. The letter is very clear.
Speaker 1: What a breath of fresh air. Though One News did manage to find one.
Speaker 2: Person who disagreed with this.
Speaker 7: What's confusing about the term pregnant people? Well, the fact is it's women.
Speaker 9: It's women that get pregnant. I think that she's ignorant because not only women can get pregnant.
Speaker 1: People who identify as being men can also be pregnant.
Speaker 5: Are these bloody ignorant women thinking only women can get pregnant?
Speaker 1: How dare they?
Speaker 5: But again, just a common sense decision that we wish someone would say something like that here in Australia.
Speaker 3: The bias of the media is quite interesting because that media report we showed you that report just from a little bit into it, but it actually begins by the journalists saying the Health Minister has defended the decision to instruct New Zealand Health to call pregnant women pregnant women rather than pregnant people.
Speaker 2: So the framing is interesting.
Speaker 3: That she's being framed as the weird one or the odd one for simply pointing out biological realities shows you how far the culture has moved when to simply say it's women who get pregnant is something you need to defend. But on top of that, the activist goes on to complain that referring to pregnant women is well, it's not inclusive. But Caleb, you'ving worked with words your entire life. The very point of words, if you want to use them to define things, is that they can't be inclusive.
Speaker 2: They have to be exclusive.
Speaker 3: A dog can't mean maybe a cat. It has to in a dog. So for words to have any value or meaning at all, they are necessarily exclusive rather than inclusionary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it's just a matter of specificity, isn't it. And of course it is the erasure of women, which is what you were talking about earlier in Jeneka, because you don't see this happening with men. I mean, there is no facet of life or the world where they want to remove the reference to mean, unless, of course it's feminists who say that you can't have men in other words, because that somehow seeks time. But it is the erasure of women for the benefit of biological men.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: And the issue with this, and it was actually raised by this health minister, is that if you go to hospital or you go to your GP and you are indeed a biological female, you have specific medical conditions that are actually related to women, like endometriosis for example, which.
Speaker 7: Was used by this health minister.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you've got people, You've even got politicians around the world that like David Lammy, for goodness sake, the UK Foreign Secretary, who believe that men can have a cervix.
Speaker 7: Well, it's just simply not the case.
Speaker 6: For goodness sake, so as a doctor, you actually need to know who you're dealing with here, and you're dealing with women's specific issues. But again, why has it taken this long for someone to go enough is enough?
Speaker 7: Put an end to the madness. It's gone beyond a joke.
Speaker 1: Now was it the UK as well? We did this story?
Speaker 5: I forget when it was that they created an edict in the NHS where they had to ask every patient who came in for an X ray whether they were pregnant, male or female, because you know, someone who looks like a bloke could actually be pregnant. I mean, it's just straightforward common sense stuff you would think.
Speaker 2: And from memory that related even to teenage boys.
Speaker 3: It's correct to be asked, is there a possibility she might correct?
Speaker 1: For thirty year old boys?
Speaker 2: A parent? How ropable you would be if someone it is just ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Now, of course, if you were watching Paul Murray Live before, you would have had all the lowdown on the second Leader's debate. Tonight, of course, Anthony Albanezi and Peter Dutton faced off on the ABC. This time we'll get into a little more detail in a moment, but if you missed it, tears a little bit of Dutton's performance.
Speaker 10: We approached the third of May, many Australians will be asking themselves, are you better off today than you were three years ago? People have seen food prices go up by thirty percent, their mortgages have gone up on twelve occasions over the last two years. The government's brought in a million people, all of whom want homes, and all of whom are competing against young Australians for that rental property or to purchase a home. That's a million people, which is seventy percent higher than any two year period in our country's history. Anthony, your government has modeled negative gearing changes NCGT changes. The Treasurer has done that.
Speaker 2: That's not right.
Speaker 5: Well, now, look, I don't think there were any knockout blows from Peter Dutton here. I don't think he walked in there and had Anthony Albanisi on the floor completely defeated. I think he did a decent job, But there was nothing that made me look at that debate and go, well, this is really going to turn the dial. Of course, Anthony Alberizi was talking up his economic.
Speaker 11: We are the only government in the last twenty years that have produced consecutive budget surpluses and we've harved the deficit this year as a direct result of the responsible economic management that we have. Then debt is one hundred and seventy seven billion dollars less.
Speaker 5: Now, interestingly, they were both asked what sort of great economic legacy they would leave. They were given the example of John Howard and the GST floating the dollar, as Paul Keating did, what is the great economic vision that your government has or would have? Peter Dutton referred to nuclear which I think is a fair thing to nominate. That is a serious policy. But the one Albaneas he came up with, of all the things he could possibly say, this is the great reform my government will achieve, is affordable childcare. Something tells me that in twenty years time, people won't be looking back at this government and going, you know, that great reform that Anthony Albanesi pushed through, affordable childcare. If that's as good as his vision gets, it tells us a lot about where this government is at. There were a couple of other slip ups won by Anthony Albanzi when he was asked point blank, when the hell are power bills going to come.
Speaker 12: Down, sorry, and just stick with your plan, mister Albanezi, When will the bills come down under our plan?
Speaker 11: We know that renewables are the cheapest form of power and that is why we are doing that, rolling it out, including through gas. Peter Raet's gas gas is now thirteen dollars. It was thirty dollars and when we came cheaper, when we came off, thirteen is cheaper than thirty.
Speaker 12: When do we.
Speaker 5: Indeed, thirteen is cheaper than thirty. But two hundred and seventy five is also a lot cheaper than what I'm paying on my power bill at the moment, isn't it? Mister ab Albanzi. He couldn't answer the question once again, and the one that slipped up Peter Dudden. I think it was a big mistake he made when he was asked whether he trusts Donald Trump. And we know that there has been a want to link Donald Trump to Peter Dutton, and obviously it's coming through in the polling now that that's actually sticking to Dutton a bit. So Dutton took the tech that will I've not met the bloke, so I can't say that I trust him. And then Albo was asked, do you trust Peter Duddon, sorry, trust Donald?
Speaker 1: Then you go I'm making the link. Now do you trust Donald Trump?
Speaker 5: And Albanez he simply said, yes, of course I do. For someone who wants to be the Prime Minister to not say that they trust the leader of the free world, the leader of one of our closest allies, it was a very strange I.
Speaker 6: Thought that was a very very messy moment by Peter Dutton, and I just wonder if that has been Is that now the campaign strategy? I wonder if that's what his team has told him to say whenever you're asked about Donald Trump, to say, I don't know the bloke, just keep him at an arms distance, simply because of the comparisons. But it's actually made the situation worse because if you are asked, do you trust Donald Trump, our number one ally, the leader of the free world, the answer is.
Speaker 1: Yes, you do.
Speaker 6: You should have absolute confidence in the leader of the free world. Who cares if you know him? Who cares if you don't know him. I don't care if you haven't shook his hand or not yet. But I thought that was the biggest slip up of the night. What I will say though, is that I think that Peter Dutton for the first time was on message, short and sharp, and he finally stuck to.
Speaker 7: The cost of living. There was no dilly dallying left or right.
Speaker 6: It was straight down the line, because that's the message that Australians want to hear.
Speaker 7: They want to know.
Speaker 6: How he's going to help with their power bills, what he's going to do. It's very easy to get Anthony albneasy on energy. I mean, for goodness, going in circles, renewable is the best option.
Speaker 7: Renewables are always cheaper.
Speaker 6: Well, we know that renewables are not the cheapest option because our power bills have gone in the exact opposite direction under this labor fantasy. But there was also another slip up that I thought was interesting by Anthony Alberizi tonight. It just goes to show he has no idea where the figures are coming from from key policies. He claimed that Labor I did not model the overhaul of negative gearing and capital's gains tax, despite.
Speaker 7: The fact that the Treasurer actually asked.
Speaker 6: Treasury to do that last year and now both slipped up on it.
Speaker 7: He's like, well, you know, No, we've got the modeling. We've got the modeling.
Speaker 6: He has no idea where the modeling has come from, just like you didn't know where that Reputech's modeling came from a couple of years ago to model that two hundred and seventy five dollars. But I thought, for the first time tonight Dunn was on message very well on cost.
Speaker 2: Of living well.
Speaker 3: He had one line that will be repeated at in Nausim over the next couple of weeks, and that is a.
Speaker 2: Simple question, are you better off after the last three years of Anthony Elbanizi.
Speaker 3: It was a ligne used by David Christo Folly very successfully in the Queensland election. And that's the one he's got a hammer home because he doesn't need to say any more than that everybody instinctively knows. But on those other issues he was off. In terms of do you trust Donald Trump? Will I don't know him? It was almost an attempt to just push away that whole Trump question, and clearly they should know that question is one of the main questions that's being asked of him. That's the big charge of the government against the opposition. You're too closely aligned with Trump. He should have had a better answer than that. And whether you know Trump or not, I mean you were part of the Scott Morrison government. Morrison has a very close relationship with Trump, Joe Hockey has a very close relationship with Trump, and Dutton.
Speaker 2: That's a poor answer.
Speaker 3: But on top of that, when asked about climate change, Dutton said well, I'm not a scientist. Yeah, well I'm glad they didn't ask him what a woman was or if probably would have said I'm not a biologist. And so to say well, I'm not a scientist and thinking that is going to put to bed the climate issue, that climate issue will be asked again and again. You've got to have a better answer than that.
Speaker 5: And this is what has annoyed me about the Coalition's campaign and the campaign as a whole, and I talked about this the other night, is the lack of vision and the lack of certainty. Right, Peter Dutt and the Coalition don't seem to want to nail their colors to the mass because you know, part of the trouble is that elections are played in marginal seats in this country. Right, It's not about what the broader public wants. It's what, you know, a small number of people in a small number of electrics want, and so they don't want to spook the crowds, and so they won't actually commit and say, yes, this is what I believe. So Peter Dutton is afraid to say. He could have just simply said, of course I believe in climate change, but I think the effects of man made climate change are overstated, and my number one goal is to make sure that we can turn the lights on for a decent price. Right, that's the answer to that question. But you don't want to put people off side on the left of the Liberal Party. You don't want to put people off side in the teal seats that they're trying to ring back, so they can't actually commit to a serious line.
Speaker 6: She doesn't also want to upset the moderates within the Liberal Party, and that is the other big issue. But what we didn't say tonight, though, was Anthony Auberneasy waving around his Medicare card.
Speaker 7: What a shame. I was looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Just before you go on, there was a great moment where Dunton could have absolutely slammed Albaneza on the Trump thing, where Albanezi says, of course, I trust Donald Trump. Dunton should have immediately jumped in and said, just a couple of years ago you.
Speaker 2: Said Trump scared them expletive out of it.
Speaker 7: That's really what happened.
Speaker 3: There were some moments where I just thought should have really nailed Yes, missed the moment, a couple of miss moments.
Speaker 6: Well, look Caleb mentioned the teals there and gee, we've got to talk about till MP Monique Ryan. Sorry excuse me, doctor Monique Ryan. Part of me that for that extreme rudeness, my absolute mistake. But look she's offended again by something. Would you believe she must be clearly under pressure. Now, for those of you at home who don't know about this new Barbie box trend that's happening all over social media, whereby an AI image is generated of oneself next to some accessories that could be your hobbies or things that you like. Well, the Victorian Liberal Party has put out a meme of Monique Ryan.
Speaker 7: And well she wasn't too impressed. Here it is now. Look, I actually think it's quite funny.
Speaker 6: Here we have Monique Ryan as a Barbie style toy under the label Monic Ryan votes with the green seventy seven percent of the time. Batteries not included may require Climate two hundred funding to operate. And as you can see those very good accessories there, the doctor with a mask, her famous line mask put your mask back on the greens and Amelia Hamer sign her liberal opponent. Of course, you know her husband was taking down those Amelia Hamers signs. And this one's really great, the first till Prime Minister a dream journal.
Speaker 7: But here's the catch in all of this.
Speaker 6: The doctor, the doctor herself has claimed that this was sexist. Yes, she's ripped out that old chestnut because she's so offended. She's putting this down to sexism. In fact, she says, and I quote in March twenty twenty four in the Age Emiliahama called out sexism and said there wouldn't be any cat fighting in the twenty twenty five Couyong campaign. The liberal campaign is negative and personal. And then she went on to say that this is nothing other than insulting. Well, you know what, Monique, it's all a bit of fun, isn't it. I think we can all have a bit of love. I actually think it was quite hilarious. In fact, I think it is a perfect description of all of the summaries of exactly what Monique has done in Parliament, and that is absolutely nothing other than telling people to wear a mask.
Speaker 5: And she specifically said that the women of Couyong would see nothing other than insulting.
Speaker 1: I mean, how is this.
Speaker 5: Sexist in any way? The Liberal Party's done this to men as well. They've done it to Anthony ALBINIZI, they've done it to Alex Dyson, who's running down in the western.
Speaker 1: Districts in Victoria. Well, another one of these independent.
Speaker 5: She's not a sexist thing whatsoever, unless she thinks it's sexist because she looks a bit frumpy.
Speaker 1: In the doll.
Speaker 5: But I can tell you that it doesn't. A friend of mine did one for me the other day and I came out looking a bit poorky. Well, I actually am as well, well, what we are like that done?
Speaker 7: What were your accessory?
Speaker 1: It was a bottle of red.
Speaker 5: There was a race horse and it actually said unprompted under my name, it said the voice of common Sense. It wasn't told to do that. It just worked it out for itself. So chat GPT knows what's up. But seriously, to try and claim this is sexist. I mean it harkens back to Julia Gillard when she decided it'd be a good idea to go after Tony Abbott by claiming he was sexist for looking at his watch for Heaven's sake in Parliament and then went on with that misogyny speech that the ABC later put to music.
Speaker 1: I've heard it on Classic FM, by the way.
Speaker 5: Terrible, but oh we'll pull out the sexism one and you can't possibly argue with that.
Speaker 1: It's not sexist.
Speaker 3: Yes, sexism is the claiming sexism is the refuge of people who don't have an argument. And of course, as you pointed out, similar action figures were created of men Anthony Albanezi, although brilliantly they called Anthony Albanese's action figure and in action figure, which I thought was good.
Speaker 2: But was that sexism?
Speaker 3: Of course it wasn't funny how Monique Ryan has strong opinions about memes, but it's completely clueless about things like integrity.
Speaker 12: Should it be clear to voters people who are looking at this content that it's paid for by the politician.
Speaker 2: I don't really have an opinion on it.
Speaker 12: Really, you think voters deserve to know that if someone they're watching is saying great things about a politician, whether they're being paid by that politician.
Speaker 7: I have to give some thought. It's not something I've given great thought to myself.
Speaker 12: You have to give that some thought.
Speaker 1: Well, I would think that it would be clear.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I think I'd have to give it some thought done.
Speaker 3: Strong opinions about memes, though, I'm going to say, just before we move on, I was wondering am I being hypocritical here? Because I was quite critical of the Labor Party with those memes about three eyed fish regarding the nuclear debate. But somehow I like these action figures, and I think the difference is this, when it's got truth to it, it's witty and it's clever, and it exposes the hypocrisy of people and things. That's when it's really on point. And that's a difference between the Labor Party and some of the stuff that's been coming out from.
Speaker 2: The Liberals in this election.
Speaker 3: The Liberals have been witty because it's been clever, because it's been based on truth. Speaking of truth in politics, check out this photograph after the Labor Party campaign launch of some Labor luminaries you've got in this photograph Tanny Pliparsek, the Environment Minister, Julia Gillard, former Prime Minister and former Treasurer Wayne Swan.
Speaker 2: Now there they.
Speaker 3: Are after the labor campaign launch in the Quantus Chairman's lounge, readying to catch their flights. Now that's the photo Tanny pliparcc put on Instagram. Have a look now at the photo Wayne Swan put on social media and tell me if you notice any difference, Deanika, I just swap the photos around against jos the first one, here's the original against even spot the difference there it is And now Wayne Swan, Denika, what is going on here?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I'm not too sure what's happened there.
Speaker 6: All I can think of is that perhaps old Swanny he's got himself on the photo shop app and has done a little diy job out there, and he hasn't done a very good.
Speaker 7: Job at it.
Speaker 6: Oh, because of course that that photo was taken at the quantity maybe.
Speaker 3: In the cost of living crisis, where you're promising to stand up for the battlers, to five minutes later have yourself swanning around, yes, unintended in the Quantus Chairman's Lambs. Not only that, when you're the environed minister who claims that omissions are going to destroy the planet, probably shouldn't be closing up to the aviation sector. And of course Julia Gillard, who put a carbon tax on us all aviation of course causes numerous omissions, shouldn't be pictured there either. I've got to be honest, though ninety nine percent of people wouldn't have known what the quantus Gairman clubs. Anyway, I look at the photo, I thought it was the Greens party room.
Speaker 5: It's only because he did that edit that anyone is now talking about the fact that the photo was dagging in the.
Speaker 6: Chairman because I saw it a few days ago on X and I remember thinking what an odd photograph to be putting up.
Speaker 7: I was completely confused by it. But you know what they've done.
Speaker 6: It is because they were in Perth and originally right for the launch of the Labor Party campaign, where they're out there, they're spreaking cost of living measures, they're spooking housing and they've.
Speaker 7: Gone, oh, I wonder what it would look.
Speaker 6: Like if we take a photo together in the most exclusive club in Australia.
Speaker 7: How would that look to be honest, I actually don't.
Speaker 6: Think anybody would care where you've taken this photo.
Speaker 7: But you know what, the cover up is worse than the crime.
Speaker 3: I say it's a positive here they finally found two people who are happy to hug and.
Speaker 5: I think you're we know they're in the Chairman's lounge anyway. But I would say to Wayne Swan, if you think it's a bit ropey that you were in the Chairman's lounge so much so that you've got to edit it out of the photos so people don't see that you were in the chairman's lounge, why did you go in there in the first race. You know, if you think it's not a great look, maybe just don't go to the Chairman's lounge. But those benefits and free one and whatever they're getting in there from Quantus must be too good to refuse, particularly even after they've left politics, because Swanne, of course has been out of the game for quite some time now. Over at the ABC, we know they're terribly racist because they did a report themselves into the state of racism at the ABC asked their own staff what was going on, and they came back and said, there is a terrible problem with racism in this outfit.
Speaker 1: So they came up with a solution. They have now hired an elder in residence. This is reporting today.
Speaker 5: The Elder in residence this is of course an Indigenous person role who's created in twenty twenty four in response to the Listen Loudly, Act Strongly report which I mentioned before, an independent review of the ABC systems and processes in support of staff who experience racism. The review found only one of the one hundred and twenty participants, comprising of current and former ABC staff, described not personally experiencing racism in the workplace. So the ABC must be one of the most racist places in the country to work.
Speaker 1: So they've decided this will fix it all.
Speaker 5: Will have an elder in residence who will go around talking to management and supporting apparently indigenous staff, and that will solve racism in the ABC. I couldn't believe of reading the story and this woman who's been appointed professor Jackie Huggins, and good luck to her.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she'll try her best over at the ABC.
Speaker 5: But I thought, you know, this must be the first time that they've employed someone to deal specifically with Indigenous staff because the ABC thinks that's a problem.
Speaker 1: But she was asked, what are you looking forward.
Speaker 5: To when you're working here at the ABC now, and she said that she was really looking forward to as the Elder in residence, to working with the Director of First Nation Strategy. So they've already got someone else on the books and the Bonner Committee, which is an advisory committee that the ABC had already set up to advise it on matters relating to Indigenous staff.
Speaker 1: So the ABC has such.
Speaker 5: A problem with racism now that they have three separate entities working on the rampant racism against Indigenous people in the ABC. I mean, I can't believe anyone still works well.
Speaker 3: At least we know if racism continues what they'll do. They'll add a fourth, a fourth and a fantast.
Speaker 2: Sixth later to all of that.
Speaker 3: I found strange in the original report, which came out after famously Stan Grant left the ABC complaining he hadn't received adequate support about racism. You've received both from outside and within the ABC. But that report claimed that many of those one hundred and twenty people who were interviewed said they'd been passed over for promotion because they had been considered diversity HighRes. You're only there because you know, you've been ticking a diversity box.
Speaker 2: So the report recommended the answer was.
Speaker 3: To have more people of diverse backgrounds in leadership positions. But isn't that simply opening them up to the continued chart.
Speaker 2: Correct, You're only in a leadership.
Speaker 3: Position because you are from a diverse group of people. So every step where they try to solve this racism issue missus the point.
Speaker 7: Well, it's classic DEI, isn't it.
Speaker 6: And I would actually like to know how much we're paying this woman to do it, because I noticed that in her role, Professor Huggins will provide cultural guidance to management and leadership teams. What on earth can someone please explain what is cultural guidance and why do.
Speaker 7: You need it?
Speaker 6: And honestly, the other question I have to ask is how many people do the ABC hire?
Speaker 7: How many people do you need to fulfill.
Speaker 6: One role in the company that I just don't actually think they have any concept? And once again our money is going towards funding more ideological bias and ideological nonsense from the public broadcaster. And that is what the scary part is here Again, what are they doing.
Speaker 5: But if you can justify having an elder in residence, I mean, how do you then justify not having an Indian in residence and isra Lankan in residence and an Italian in residence and on and on it goes. I mean they've singled out specifically Indigenous people here as needing a special mentor and advocate within the ABC. Well what about every other racial minority. Where's the homosexual in residence? Because of course there are gay people at the ABC who feel like they've been discriminated against, et cetera. Where's the woman in residence? Because there was another report that was done that said there's rampant sexual harassment in the ABC. I mean you can't just stop at an elder in residence, surely, no you can't.
Speaker 6: Well, look, let's move on now to the United Nations Climate Conference. Yes, you know, the one COP thirty one, where a bunch of green zalots, mostly elites, fly into these conferences held all around the world on their private jets. Doesn't matter, never mind though the carbon emissions.
Speaker 7: But to guess what it could actually be coming.
Speaker 6: To a city near you soon because Adelaide is now in the running to host it, but spare a thought for the South Australian Police Commissioner. He says that there is not enough manpower would you believe, to actually protect the event from any sort of security fears. Here is Grant Stevens talking about how concerned he was. He says, quote, when I was first told about Cop thirty one and the significance of the event in the scale of it, I was pretty relieved that it was in twenty thirty one because there's every chance I might be retired and watching from the sidelines. And then they said, oh no, no, Cop twenty one is in two thousand and twenty six. Poor bugger just wanted to have a couple of years of enjoying his last few years in the police force, and now he has to deal with this mammoth, absolute nonsense event.
Speaker 7: Now, not only are events like this.
Speaker 6: A complete waste of time, but they are such a.
Speaker 7: Burden on the taxpayer.
Speaker 6: In fact, the Coalition estimates that this is going to cost tens of billions of dollars. But now we have a situation where South Australia is saying, hang on, we don't have enough manpower to protect all these elites coming in from here, there and everywhere, and so they're saying, well, we're going to have to get resources from other states flowed in to look after it.
Speaker 7: So it means that they're going.
Speaker 6: To have to give up police officers from other states, take them off the beat to bring it into South Australia in the event that Adelaide actually hosts this and really for what a junket that's run by clinatic, by climate fanatics.
Speaker 3: And how insulting is that to the people of Adelaide who've experienced crime crisis and there's clearly not enough police as it is. But what they'll do for the world's elite is they'll fly in a hold of extra police officers just for the couple of weeks that Cop thirty one is on and then when all the elites leave, those police officers will go and the good people of Adelaide will be back to their clime crisis and not enough police to handle it. My big concern with this is you just really hope none of these delegates required accident and emergency in a local hospital in Adelaide because they not only have not enough police, but there's not enough ambulances, there's not enough hospitals.
Speaker 5: I tell this story all the time because they still can't get over it. When they built the new Royal Adelaide Hospital, right, you would think if you're going to knock down an old hospital and build a new one, population is going to go up, obviously, right, so you put more beds in the new hospital. No, they built a new Royal Adelaide Hospital with fewer beds than.
Speaker 1: The old Royal Adelaide Hospital. I mean, addiom, it makes no sense at all.
Speaker 5: At least it's not as bad as through the Amazon now, where they're actually just cutting down swathes of the Amazonian rainforest. They can build a big road in order to get all the people to the cop conference because they don't know how to transport all the people.
Speaker 3: Who's excited about Cops thirty one't they go on plane spotters?
Speaker 5: Indeed, well there'll be fantastic planes coming in well, by the way. But they want to bring in coppers from New Zealand too, not just Australia. I mean, how many gobbers can you possibly?
Speaker 7: We've got the other person who'll be excited about is Chris Bowen.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, and this is the whole point, the point, right, But it's a chance for Anthony Albanezi and Chris Bowen to grandstand on a global platform paid for by the Australian taxpayer. And of course they make a big deal of it's going to bring five hundred million dollars worth of economic activity.
Speaker 2: Into the state of South Australia.
Speaker 3: Sure, but what is the Australian government promising in terms of climate financing to other nations in order to qualify to host this massive junker.
Speaker 5: Well, we get to gather around, That's all I care about it.
Speaker 1: We the gather.
Speaker 5: And the great environmental thing that Peter Malinowskis did for South Australia was get the super cars back in Adelaide, pumping out all that diesel and fumes and stuff. It's fantastic, isn't it. James mentioned private planes before. One bloke who recently bought her a private jet was Mike cannon Brooks, and we know he's a tech billionaire and he's also big on the eco warrior stuff. That's why he needs the private jets so he can get around. He reckons it's carbon neutral the way he runs it. But would you believe it turns out now that he's been muddying up the environment, not just with his plane, but on the land that he owns. He's been doing some works on his farm and the local landowners around him. Notice there was all this noise going on, all these earthworks, and there was contaminated water flowing into their dams and that's potentially now moving down to reservoirs. So the local councils got on to him and said, mate, what the hell are you doing. You're churning up the dirt, You're sending dirty water down to the reservoirs and into other people's dams. I mean, he is clearly an environmental warrior. Everyone else has to do the good environmental work except me.
Speaker 6: But this is the thing with the eco warries. It's the old do as I say, not as I do kind of attitude. I mean, the man the man flow a plant private jet recently didn't need to the Grand Prix in Melbourne. I mean, never mind that the carbon emissions from the private jet, but you've got to get to the Grand Prix.
Speaker 3: Well, he didn't just fly it to the Grand Prix. He's got a part stake in a Grand Prix team. So it's not bad work if you can afford it and of course to offset the emissions. It's good to be a billionaire unlike the rest of us. We're going to go to a break. When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including a big story on the front page of The Australian regarding the future of taxation under a Peter Dutton government that's coming up in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Well, let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. We'll start with The Australian. Caleb we they've got a big story on Peter Dutton's aspirations regarding the taxation system.
Speaker 5: Indeed, some actual change, some real policy here.
Speaker 1: Thank god it's a bit late anyway.
Speaker 5: Peter Dutton has moved to recharge his election campaign with an aspirational pledge for the indexation of personal income tax scales to signal his credentials as an economic reformer. The opposition leader also seed in an exclusive interview with The Australian at the midpoint of the campaign, I want to see us move as quickly as we can as a country to changes around the personal income tax, including indexation, because bracket creep, as we know, is a killer in the economy.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 5: It stifles productivity and entrepreneurialism.
Speaker 1: And hard work.
Speaker 5: But we need to do it at a time, he says, where the budget can afford to do so. It would be an aspiration of our government to achieve that because it provides equity in the tax system and is costly.
Speaker 1: To do so.
Speaker 5: So this is the problem, right, He's saying we should index the tax rate, but we're not going to index the tax rates until we've paid off all of the debt.
Speaker 1: That we have.
Speaker 5: Essentially, this is exactly what Malcolm Fraser did in the late seventies the tax rates and then very quickly found that he had high debt that he couldn't pay down because he was getting much less tax than he was before. And it was either eighty one or eighty two. He got rid of that and it's not changed since. So look, I think it's a great policy. Absolutely income text should be indexed to inflation to stop bracket creep, but it will be a brave government that actually does.
Speaker 7: I agree.
Speaker 6: I think it is a very good policy, and I think finally we're actually seeing something around bracket creep, which neither party has put on the table thus far. My only concern is he should have announced this at the very beginning of the campaign because now he doesn't have a lot of time to go and sell it. And don't forget that prepole opens in about a week or so and there's a lot of people going to the pre pole to try and win over those undersided voters. This is a very big cell to put forward to the Australian people. I wish it would have happened sooner. He's going to have to try and get this over in know what. It reminds me of when Scott Morrison, in the dying days of the campaign last time said oh, well, if you want to you know, you want to buy home, you can withdraw from your superannuation.
Speaker 7: Again. Great, but it was too late. It was too late by that point.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but your sentiments are reflected on the front page in the commentary by Paul Kelly. The headline there reads leader finally flicks the switch and I think, Caleb, that's what a lot of Conservative voters and supporters of Peter Dutton have been waiting for. Give us a big vision that's going to structurally fix the country and set us up for the future, rather than just tinkering around the edges. So he's got a couple of weeks to sell this. It's a big idea and well he needs something, so it will certainly dominate the news tomorrow.
Speaker 1: That's yeah.
Speaker 5: And of course the other thing that will come with it if you want to make it happen, if he wants to do it in a term of government that he's leading, is a period of austerity as well, because you know, he's saying, we've got to get the budget in a position where we can afford to do this, and in order to do that, we're hurdling towards the trillion dollars of debt next year one point two trillion dollars. So we've got to pull our belts in very tightly if we want to What is giving us he's giving.
Speaker 1: Us, Yeah, exactly, he's.
Speaker 2: Looking for it, trying to find it. Whether you want to take the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's he's been good. I think it's I think it's very.
Speaker 3: His credit on energy, his cast vision in the future. Now we've got an economic vision that people could get on board with.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but week one, week one, Yeah, where was it on week one?
Speaker 5: It is it is like another story on the front of the Olds tomorrow. China pools are swifty with nade in Vietnam.
Speaker 1: This is a hilarious story.
Speaker 5: It's a Chinese scheme that would see in Donald Trump and his anti trade hawks apoplectic. A manufacturer of massage machines and Neie massage and I'm massage and the top seller in the US a leg massage. Apparently admidst the US presidents one hundred and forty five percent tariffs on Chinese exports have created a problem for his factory in China's southeast.
Speaker 1: So what what can I possibly do about this?
Speaker 5: He wants to do a deal with a factory in Vietnam now, but it says will he open a factory then no, he answers. But even the slightest division. He intends to sell the Vietnamese partner the finished product, these massages, which will continue to be made in the same Chinese factory. Then put it on another container with a stamp that says made in Vietna.
Speaker 1: Great work.
Speaker 5: You just sell it to the Vietnamese and then they say they made it.
Speaker 7: That's smart. That's smart marketing.
Speaker 3: It's smart marketing until you put it on the front page of the Australia for everyone to read.
Speaker 2: How smart is that?
Speaker 1: Not that smart?
Speaker 3: I would have thought, let's go to Queensland the Towns bulletin newspaper. I just like the headline here at where's Polly to take off? Obviously of where's Wally? With Albanezi and Dutton in there, Where's Wally? Hats just making the point that North Queensland feel pretty much ignored during this campaign. North Queensland has always feel ignored in election campaigns, so not much new. They're The Cam's Post Staying in North Queensland has a story on the election campaign in the ABC's coverage of it. Senator Slam's Public Broadcasters doco on Kata It's not your ABC, It's Bob's ABC. According to the Post, the Queensland Senator has called for an investigation into the ABC's decision to air a documentary profiling Maverick MP Bob Catter during the federal election campaign, arguing the public broadcaster had failed.
Speaker 2: The integrity test.
Speaker 3: But Auntie has hit back declaring there's no likelihood of mister Catta losing the outback queens And seat to LNP rival and it's Swain despite having previously lost the popular vote in twenty thirteen. Now Australian Story went to air on Monday night and it was a pretty.
Speaker 2: Flattering profile of Bob Catter.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Danika, is a poor form of the ABC running that during an election campaign?
Speaker 7: Or I mean, look, does it really matter? To be honest? Is it that really that big of a deal? And let's be I mean, come, I think this is a bit of it, a bit up, don't you think?
Speaker 5: And they haven't named the senator on the front agent and the stories have been published ill sweet, so we don't actually know.
Speaker 2: Who it is to see this, But I mean.
Speaker 1: You know, how salty do you have to be to go oh that?
Speaker 5: You know Bob Katter, who's been involved in pology, you.
Speaker 1: Know, fifty sixty years.
Speaker 5: Almost his entire life. He's the father of the House, the longest serving person in Federal Parliament. Australian Story does a doco on him.
Speaker 1: How dare they do that? That's supporting the Bobcatta campaign?
Speaker 5: Does anyone seriously believe that the ABC would be supporting Bobcatter ramp I think it's a beat. They've done a doco on someone who's been involved in politics for a long time.
Speaker 1: It's no more, no less.
Speaker 7: No I agree.
Speaker 6: Well, let's have a look now at the Adelaide Advertiser. Addict Spears gave cocaine to Speaks. I feel preyed upon, as the headline. One of the men David Spears supplied cocaine too, has spoken out to say he felt preyed upon by the then alternative premier who gave him drugs despite knowing he was a recovering drug addict.
Speaker 7: Addict.
Speaker 6: Peter Zubik twenty eight, who met Spears when he was fifteen through their mutual church, said at one meeting at Spears's home that then opposition leader snorted a high a lot of high purity cocaine. Mister Zoobik has also revealed a stream of Instagram messages from Spears in which he.
Speaker 7: Talks about drug use and sex.
Speaker 6: I feel taken advantage of, He's told The Adelaide Advertiser. I was at about one hundred days clean at the time of seeing him. Look, we know that this is a long a long way. This the story has got a long way to go, clearly for David Spears here remember initially he said it was deep fakes.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing.
Speaker 5: And this is a thing if you are a politician, the opposition leader know, list just keep your powder dry, it would you know? Obviously these are allegations on the front of the paper tomorrow, but I just I just spear for the Liberal Party in South Australia and plenty of other people as well, that this is the quality they ended up with. Let's go to the front of the Herald's sun where it says tomorrow Election twenty twenty five Lives promise two hundred and sixty million dollars for new tech colleges.
Speaker 1: Good stuff.
Speaker 5: This I think teen head starts the headline. The Coalition has promised two hundred and sixty million to build twelve new technical colleges to turbo charge the nation's skills pipeline if it wins government on May three. Dutton says he wants to see more young Australians learn a trade. A national network, he says, of Australian technical colleges will help skill the next generation of workers.
Speaker 1: We need to build.
Speaker 5: More homes and infrastructure here here. I don't know why we've been without them for so long. I mean it used to be in my grandparents' day that if you got to high school were often you didn't, but if you got to high school, you went to an academic high school, or you went to a technical high school.
Speaker 1: At some point we got rid of all the tech.
Speaker 5: Schools, and then we wonder why we've got kids who come out of UNI with a BA degree and can't get a job because we're not setting them up for the jobs they should be taken.
Speaker 3: And we're desperate for tradesmen so much so that many people believe we should import them from overseas. There's plenty of young people's a lot of young boys, especially as a father, boys they want to be involved in a trade. Make it available to them. It'll benefit the country. We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 2: When we come back.
Speaker 3: Supermodel Tyra Banks from the US are set up home in Australia.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you why in just a moment.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, we'll Celebrity model Tyra Banks has been living with her family in Australia for a number of months now, and she's finally revealed on American television why.
Speaker 2: She loves Australia so much.
Speaker 3: It's got nothing to do with running away from Donald Trump and everything to do with well, take a listen.
Speaker 13: I just fell in love with it every time I went back and went back and the three countries that make them that eat the most ice cream, Yes, America, Yes, New Zealand and Australia. So I was like, I'm happy here and they love to eat some ice cream. So are we gonna do this family?
Speaker 1: And we did.
Speaker 7: That is amazing.
Speaker 3: Based on that, I'm expecting Joe Biden to become Australia anytime now. Actually watch he does. Is She's got a brand of ice cream. They supply cruise ships and aeroplanes and a lot of it is manufactured in Australia.
Speaker 2: So she's just decided to be close to her business.
Speaker 3: It's got nothing to do with the fact that Australians just have great ice cream.
Speaker 5: That is what but Albo was talking about when he said future made in Australia ice cream.
Speaker 6: Manucaps sorry board somebody with an Italian background. I'm highly offended by this chat. If you want good ice cream, you need to go to Italy.
Speaker 7: Do not come to Australia with.
Speaker 1: The carbon footprint of going to Italy. Do eat ice cream.
Speaker 6: I by Cadam Brook's all right, can't itself out now? Look, we've got to look at Democratic Representative Alexandria Occasio Cortez. You know the one she said, Look, she's got a mind of her own, that one. But now she's unveiled a new accent straight out of the Kamala Harris playbook.
Speaker 7: Here she is at a rally.
Speaker 14: Donald Trump is a criminal who was found guilty of thirty four felony.
Speaker 7: Counts, Haprah liable for sexual abuse.
Speaker 14: Of course he's lying, I'm abusing, am manipulating the stock market.
Speaker 6: Too, too awful?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 7: That is straight from Kamala Harris.
Speaker 6: She's clearly spent too much time with the words salad queen herself.
Speaker 3: Help me out, though, which accent is she trying to emulate? Exactly the mixtures?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe she's in a crowd of people who don't know how to talk properly. Are the people's speech impediments?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: And I mean, we laugh about AOC all the time because she sees some pretty wacky stuff. But I've been really worried recently because Bernie Sanders is putting her out there as though she's sort of the successor to him.
Speaker 2: And if she's boring massive crowd.
Speaker 5: If she ever gets anywhere near the White House, America is going to hell in a handbasket. I am seriously worried about where the Dems are going to go because they may well think she's an outsider, a bit like Trumps, and she's the answer.
Speaker 2: I predict you will get nowhere.
Speaker 5: Hope.
Speaker 3: So a lot more faith in the people of America. Stick around is coming up. It's the readA Penney Show.
Speaker 2: Good Night,