Speaker 1: This is healthy heer with Amelia Phillips, and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, more practical conversations really designed to motivate you with simple, actionable expert advice that you can implement straight away. So today we're going to be talking about chronic pain and how we can best manage and ideally move beyond our chronic pain. It actually blows my mind how many of my members suffer from this, be it chronic, low grade pain such as a sore back or neck, or ongoing conditions like arthritis. Pain can be a huge energy drainer. And my message to you, if you do suffer from chronic pain is this, don't give up. Don't let this pain beat you. Keep exploring ways to work around your pain to remain mobile and strong and ideally reduce its impact on your overall quality of life. We're going to be here for a long time, so let's minimize that pain as much as we possibly can. Now, I pose this question to mobility expert Dan O'Sullivan Dan or hands Dan, as he's known to in his half a million followers on insta He specializes in mobility for over forty year olds, he deals with a lot of chronic pain. He runs online programs and has a popular YouTube channel with many awesome mobility workouts for us to try to have a listen to his take on how we can best manage chronic pain. Dan with your half a million followers and your very popular YouTube channel. I know you work with so so many different clients from all ages, rangers, and abilities, but I bet you work with a lot of clients who are suffering chronic pain such as neck, back, hip, knees, be it from arthritis, from injury, or immobility. Can you please talk us through how you help these clients move beyond their pain.
Speaker 2: The first thing I do is I set realistic expectations and the biggest thing that I have So I had chronic back pain for five years and it was very debilitating when it was at its worth, so much so if I had to sneeze, I'd have to hold onto a book or you know, even to get out of the bed, I'd have to like roll to the side and get down on the floor first. And the best way I overcame this was it's understanding the movement that causes that aggravation and trying to find a variation of that that you can actually achieve. And the reason why I say that is because for most people they try to avoid movements. So if I know that, you know, standing there trying to pick something off the floor hurts my back, well, then I try to avoid picking things off the ground in that position. But the reality is is sometimes life is going to force me into that position. So isn't it better that I try to understand why is that happening? And what people neglect to see is they tend to go to where the pain is. So I might have a pain in my lower well, potentially my hips are unstable, which keeps trigger in the back. So it's this, you know, it's the idea of trying to find the root cause and then how can I build from that point? Like I have people you know had frozen shoulder as an example, and literally the movements that we had to do was a lot of it was like isometrics, and for anybody who don't know what that is, it's like it looks like you're doing nothing, you're in a static position, but it's about contracting and relaxing the muscles.
Speaker 1: For example, if you were sitting there having an arm wrestle with someone. Your arm's not moving, but you're obviously working hard. That's an isometric contraction.
Speaker 2: That's the best analogy I've ever heard. I was going to say, plank, I'm going to take that. I hope there's no copyright on that.
Speaker 1: Take it, my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a brilliant one, because yes, what with a lot of mobility training to improve your range of motion, we actually work on contract relax, which is that kind of idea whereas if you were arm wrestling, you would contract as much as you can and then you would relax and you would contract, So you're educating the tissue on what to do. And then the benefit of that then is you go into more of a length and position. So again, if we can picture trying to touch our toes, we might go down to a certain point and maybe we have a bench in front of us and our hands are on the bench, so we feel nothing but support. Maybe our butt is against the wall, and maybe there's a yoga block in between our knees. This is why for anybody who goes to like a yin yoga class, this is why we have bolsters. This is why we have support because the more your body feels supported. Guess what, the apprehension is less. And so with somebody who has chronic pain, the pain is a signal. It's telling you that there's something happening. So constant pain shouldn't always happen, unless it's blunt trauma, which is obviously a different thing. But if you're just going about your day and you're constantly in pain, I would say you're probably out of alignment. And I would probably say structurally, something is not where it needs to be. So in terms of how could I approach that, obviously that's a million dollar question in terms of where is it. But if we say back pain or hit pain, which is where a lot of people do suffer lower back pain, and you know, I would say for most people, if you can understand how to segment that spine and build goods to ability in your hips, you're probably setting yourself up to be having like much greater movement capacity. So I would say for most people getting into some form of a movement practice, if you're like I'm talking dropping painkillers and you're in your serious pain, then it's definitely best that you probably work with somebody who is very well versed in this as opposed to just guessing.
Speaker 1: I think for a lot of people it's that low grade chronic pain that's not quite bad enough to be in acute injury or to send them to the physio. But they're walking around and I'll get that all that hurt when I walked up and down those stairs. Oh my back's just so tight. And so what I'm hearing you say is number one, paying a lot more attention to it and really narrowing down what the trigger points are for that pain, which a lot of us don't do. We just kind of generally go, oh, well, when I, you know, bend over, it hurts, So I think that's a really good one. Then you spoke about structural so I just want to find out. So what you're saying there is it trying to understand if there's structurally something going on, such as I know for knee injuries, it can often be an imbalance if you might have really tight itb and a really weak vastest medialist and so suddenly your patella, which is your kneecap, might be just slightly malaligned. Is that what you mean by kind of understanding the structure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to simplify it for people because again, if they're not in the health space, you know what you just said there might totally just confuse the life out of them. So what I would usually say is this, get down into your brand nickers. Have a look in the mirror. Do you notice anything out of whack? When you like so, Jenny, what I would say is I say, jump up it down for two or three seconds and get yourself into just kind of like a position if I told you got to stand every ten minutes, where do you find yourself? And then look look in the mirror. What do you see? Are your legs like symmetrical? Like is your left leg in the same angle as your right leg? Or is your right leg turned out more? Is your shoulder hyped up more than the other shoulder? Is your hips hiked up more? So this starts to tell you a story, and then what you say is okay, well why is that happening for most people. I've been doing this for twenty two years. I've only had two people who I had to admit the feet on and that was because one had a bone spur in their hips, so they literally could not widen their legs anymore because it was bone on bone. The option was either shave that or live with it, and then the other person had surgery on our foot and whatever way they fused it put in a position that we can never change. But I would say for most people, you can improve the position you currently find yourself in. So looking at yourself in the mirror structurally and then taking into context, what do those joints do. So again, if your shoulder rotates, focus on rotation. If your hips rotate, focus on rotation. And then with your spine, let's look at that as a big global move movement. We have so many nerve endings heading down through that lower back. Like, let's get that spine comfortable moving in all planes of motion. Primarily, let's look at segmentation. Let's look aflection and extension, and just do it in a way that you find most comfortable. Get down on your hands and knees. Do some catkews with lots of intent. What I see is bad catkeos. I see people are trying to race through it really slow and controlled. Get an understanding. Where am I now feeling that little bit of a pinch and why is it? Did my hip shift to the side when I tried to do it? Or do I actually feel like I'm staying quite symmetrical And the only person who knows the answer is you, because you have to investigate within yourself. And that's what I say to most people, like close your eyes, actually listen to your body. Can you actually understand what each vertebrae moving feels like? And when you do understand that, guess what the pain goes away. The other side of that, I just wanted to quickly actually say, was the caveat we have to appreciate is if you have chronic pain for an extended period of time, you're potentially somebody who has excess inflammation. So that's where you want to look at other elements as well, like you're slip and the choice of foods that you are having, because having high acidic foods, as an example, is going to trigger that inflammation, and so you might be doing the best exercises in the world, but you want to look at those other variables to help as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and just on the topic of nutrition as well, the impact of supplementing with collagen or joint health is also something that shouldn't be understated. So if you are suffering a bit of chronic pain and maybe you're over forty, considering that is a really great avenue. I've noticed a huge difference in my recovery and my joint health since I've been taking collagen for the last twelve months. So yeah, it's one that I'm a big fan of. Are you as well?
Speaker 2: I take collagen And one of the big things I'm an advocate for most people is I would say about ninety percent of the population are deficient and magnesium. So for most people, when you do start getting into a consistent practice, when you're consistent of training, your recovery is important. So it's kind of like, you know, if you don't do anything, you need to do something. If you do too much, you need to do nothing as well. So it's like magnesium is such a good mineral for people to make sure you are recovering even more efficiently. Especially if you find yourself getting cramps after exercising, that's a good sign that you potentially need more magnesium.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. There's a couple of really great brands. I love Carmex by Metagenics for magnesium. There's another one, Designs for Health does try mag RESTful Night, which is a great one too, And for collagen, there's a Designs for Health that has the three most researched different types of collagen Ford to gel for to bone and verasol, and Ford to a bone is the one that's shown to have the most impact on joint health. So there's some brands. I'll actually prop those links in the show notes for anyone that's curious to know. But thank you so much, Dan. I think that's been a really great reminder for all of us that if we have got some low grade chronic pain, and as you said, number one, we shouldn't ignore it. And number two, really we probably do have the answer. It takes focus, but it's so much easier to get to the bottom of it with the help of an expert such as yourself. So thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. What I would say is that movement is medicine.