Speaker 1: High Scrollers is produced on Gadigal land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past and present.
Speaker 3: Always was, always will be Aboriginal land. I want to start out this Closed Friends episode by talking about funerals.
Speaker 2: Okay. Lovely. What about them?
Speaker 1: Which, by the way, we got a comment on, not that this is R-rated, we got a comment on last week's pod saying, stop talking about R-rated subjects.
Speaker 2: Well, I will admit the confession section was fucked up.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: We could talk about that as well. The aftermath.
Speaker 2: The aftermath of the confession session. I know. Was wild.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, before we get to that, I wanted to talk about something that I've had written in my notes for ages. It was a video that I saw of Um, and we all know Amber from influencer updates. She has a sister named Kayla who used to have a business called tribe skincare back in the day. Uh, if you know, you know, and anyway, she sold that business and now she has another business and she posts, um, videos, you know, on that account now. And I think it was on Kayla's business account. I'm not entirely sure. But sadly, their mom passed away and she's kind of done a few videos talking about the grieving journey.
Speaker 3: And one video that stood out.
Speaker 1: To me, and this was like months ago, I've had this written in my notes for ages, but she spoke about something that they did for the funeral that I thought was.
Speaker 3: Such a good idea.
Speaker 1: And she said, basically, Her and Amber, they, you know, were obviously devastated. And a funeral is like such a, like it's a celebration, but it's also sad, right?
Speaker 3: Like you're going through a lot of emotions.
Speaker 1: And she was just basically talking about what they did was they sat down together and they filmed a video talking about their mum. And they played that at the funeral, like on a big screen in front of everyone. instead of doing the typical getting up in front of everyone. She was just talking about how positive of an experience that was because they could sit down together at home in their own time.
Speaker 3: They could write things out.
Speaker 1: They could stop and start the camera and chop it all together and reflect on all the happy memories and be together, just the two of them. That way, they didn't have to get up and you know, do a speech when they're obviously emotional. And I just, I wrote that down when I saw it because I thought that's such a good idea because let's be honest, public speaking is like not many people enjoy doing that on a regular day. No.
Speaker 3: Let alone when you're mourning the loss of someone that you love.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, like some people would just literally rather not do it because, you know, they, number one, public speaking, not a fan of, but then number two, highly emotional.
Speaker 3: Can't get your words out, so upset.
Speaker 1: And so I just kind of thought I would, I don't know, I've never heard of anyone doing that.
Speaker 3: And I just thought it was such a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What do you think of it?
Speaker 2: I love it. I mean, you do anything you need to do to get through that day and that process. And I've never heard anything about anyone doing anything like that. Does that make sense? But it's a good idea. I thought it was a really good idea.
Speaker 3: And I just had never heard of anyone doing that before.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they still sat there with everyone and watched the video that they'd made at home. But I just thought, what a good idea for someone that isn't confident with public speaking or just doesn't want to get up and talk, but still wants to say everything that they want to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I just thought that was a really good idea. And I hope they don't mind me sharing that.
Speaker 2: Well, this is an influencer updates updates. That's fun, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Exactly right.
Speaker 2: I went to a funeral and it was really... quite beautiful as most funerals are. But like, uh, one of the really nice things that happened is this man whose funeral I went to, he was a big gardener. And at the end he loved succulents and had like hundreds of succulents and hundreds of plants in his garden. And when we went to the wake on the way out, it was like, take one with you. And, um, we took home like the succulents and they're still in the house and we look after them. And I just wanted to share that because it was such a lovely, like, I was like, wow, like we get to take something that he loved and cared for. We now get to love and care for that. And I thought that that was really beautiful. One of the nicest things I've ever like seen at a funeral. And, um, I just love that every time I look at the succulent, I think of him and it's like my job to take care of something that he used to take care of.
Speaker 1: So I think, um, like we've spoken a little bit about like, death and funerals and stuff on the pod.
Speaker 3: And we spoke about the coffin confessor, right? That was ages ago. I love him. We still need to get him on big business.
Speaker 1: And I know we've spoken about like how I had my will made up. And I think I already said this like ages ago. And I know a lot of people will say like don't talk about that because, you know, some people might want to avoid the topic of death. But I'm one of those people where like we need to talk about it because it's absolutely going to happen to every single one of us. I know that like might be absolutely terrifying, but I think the more that we talk about it, like the more we are okay with.
Speaker 3: It because in 80 years we're all going to be dead.
Speaker 2: Jesus, this is heavy.
Speaker 3: No, but I'm being serious. In 80 years we're all going to be dead.
Speaker 1: And this is kind of why I'm also being Tiffany lately because I'm like literally in 80 years, every single one of us is going to be dead.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I know that's grim.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I have the mental capacity to have this conversation today.
Speaker 3: I did tell you that we were talking about it at the start.
Speaker 1: But one thing I really want to do, which I keep saying I want to do is right now, I know I'm only 33, but no one's promised tomorrow. I want to write down what I would want at my funeral. In the case of me, you know, dying earlier than expected, I want.
Speaker 3: To write it out.
Speaker 2: Okay. Where would you start? What would be on your list?
Speaker 3: Um, I would want it to be, uh, fun.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want it to be.
Speaker 2: Big piss up?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're all going hotel Jesmond and.
Speaker 3: Jesmond primary school.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just think like.
Speaker 1: I think when it comes to like planning your funeral and like I talk to my nan about this all the time because my nan is very, like my nan's in her 80s and she's very realistic.
Speaker 3: Like she's like, we need to talk about these things. We need to have these conversations.
Speaker 1: And when often we think of like planning our funeral, you do think of doing it when you're like 70.
Speaker 3: But that's like if you're lucky enough to live to that age.
Speaker 1: A lot of people may die unexpectedly and then you haven't got a plan. So I kind of want to write out what I would want it to be like. But I would just want it to be fun and a celebration. Which I feel like every funeral honestly is.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. I'm thinking big party. Get dressed up.
Speaker 2: Just a lovely little Saturday Arvo. Get the girls around. Let's all write down what our funerals are like. We'll do a girl dinner.
Speaker 3: Honestly.
Speaker 1: And I know that's grim. And I know a lot of people really avoid this topic. But I don't know why people avoid this topic when it is... something that is absolutely going to happen to every single person. And that's why I just don't give a shit about what anyone says about me and the things that I do in life. We are all so held back from doing things because we have a fear of what others say. That's like the number one thing that holds anyone back.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do that. I don't want to post that video. I don't want to do this.
Speaker 1: I'm too scared, too worried about what other people think. Whereas I just feel completely opposite to that. Like we're literally definitely going to die. So why are we worrying about what other people think?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, on this note.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a really interesting conversation recently with one of my friends who we're both just going through a bit of a moment where we're both just like, oh, a bit flat, all the rest of it. And we both said to each other, like, we're just in our ugly phase at the moment. Like we just feel ugly. You know, I'm very confident. I've come to terms with who I am, what I look like, whatever. And it's like, life is too short to worry about that sort of stuff, you know? We were having a conversation recently and we were just like admitting to each other, like, we just feel ugly. We just feel ugly. We're just in an ugly little moment in our lives. And I said, what is so wrong with being ugly? Like what is wrong with being ugly and leaning into I'm in an ugly face. Let's ride the ugly face out. I'll be back in my hot girl era at some point, but right now I'm going to be ugly and I'm going to sit in the ugly and I'm just going to accept that I'm ugly and and just be ugly.
Speaker 3: Well, as long as you're happy, that's what matters.
Speaker 2: And I think that really helped me be a little bit more happy is when I, I, cause I was just like, I just was going through a little bit of a phase a few weeks ago where every outfit I put on, I went, hate it. Doesn't look right on my body. Not. And these are clothes that I wear all the time. And all of a sudden I'm like, nah, my hair won't sit right. I'm like looking at my face in the mirror. I'm going, what's going on? Like this, these sorts of feelings haven't happened to me for years and years and years. Right.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And, um, like I want to say like pre pandemic vibes since I've kind of looked at myself and picked myself apart and yeah, I don't know what it is. I don't know whether it's like the season, like, you know, everything's a bit gloomy at the moment. I don't know if like the world is a bit gloomy at the moment. I don't know if being on social media is a bit gloomy at the moment. I just am in one of those phases where I have started like picking myself apart again and just like, looking at myself in the mirror and being like, oh, what's going on here? You know what I mean? And then I just kind of flipped the narrative on that. And I went, okay, similar to what you just said. I could die tomorrow. Let's be ugly. Let's just be ugly. Do you know what I mean? Why not just be, what is so wrong with being ugly? Let's just be ugly, sit in that moment and then get over it eventually. Do you know what I mean? And move on and we'll be hot again.
Speaker 1: I think also like we are obviously all our own worst critic. I found myself doing this on my Europe trip. Usually when I go on holidays, I don't really give a shit about what I look like. But I think being in Europe and a lot of the venues that we were going to, everyone was so dressed up.
Speaker 3: Like what you see on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Like all the girlies looking 10 out of 10 in their outfits, that's what it's like over there. Well, at the places we were going to anyway. And so I started like having all these feelings of like I'm not dressed up enough.
Speaker 3: I don't look good enough.
Speaker 1: And then when you go on holiday naturally, you just eat and drink way more than you.
Speaker 3: Do, you know, on a normal day.
Speaker 1: So we were doing like breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinking every day. And then I started feeling like really bloated and gross and I started like putting outfits on and thinking I can't wear that because I look too bloated or people can tell that I'm really bloated. And I was like continuously clocking myself on the trip because I'm like, why do I care?
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so I guess my advice in this episode, besides a funeral advice, is if you're going on a holiday, don't give a fuck about what you look like. And I actually want to play you a little video that I saw from, do you know AJ? No.
Speaker 3: Not AJ, my AJ, AJ Paps.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so, but I'm a face person.
Speaker 3: Anyway, he's this guy.
Speaker 2: This is the thing, I don't know anyone's names.
Speaker 1: He's from Australia and he like works in a sex shop, but he's just been in Europe and he posted this one video and I went, yes.
Speaker 3: Let me just play it out loud. One thing about me on holidays, I make whatever the fuck I want.
Speaker 2: I don't care if I get chunky. I eat to be happy. I don't eat for aesthetics and this and that.
Speaker 3: If I want five fucking custard tarts, you can have six wind up in front of me. So I want to give a shout out to AJ.
Speaker 1: Like his content at the moment is him like traveling overseas. And I just saw that after I'd been to Europe and I was like, you know what? Yes, because I got to the point on the trip where I started then choosing the healthy thing or not having something.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what am I doing? And I just saw him saying, if I want to eat five custard tarts.
Speaker 2: You better have six lined up in front of me. And can I just say, bloating is like the biggest, weirdest, like non-issue that has become an issue, in my opinion, when it comes to the way that we look. Because I just want to remind everyone, bloating is a normal bodily function.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: That is how the body functions. And if you get a bit bloated.
Speaker 1: Like social media in society has made it a bad thing. Like if your belly is bloated, like, and I do it myself. I'm like, I can't wear that singlet.
Speaker 3: It's too tight. And you can see that my stomach is bloating, but why do I think that way?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, why do we care that our stomach is bloated? Like, sorry that I ate a meal. Yeah. I'm physically don't bloat, you know? So it's, it's my car. I never have bloated. Cause it's just always bloated. Sort of. I'm just permanently bloated, so that's fine. But do you know what I mean? Like, I feel like that's, like, a non-issue. Like, it's so interesting why is, like, oh, I'm so bloated and, like, oh, I look so bloated. Like, why is that an issue? Like, bloating is a normal thing.
Speaker 3: Because we're all fucked in the head.
Speaker 2: I know. I know.
Speaker 3: We're all fucked in the head.
Speaker 1: So I just want you all to know, especially if you're going on holiday but just in life in general– No one gives a shit if you're bloated.
Speaker 2: I saw this video as well that I wouldn't be able to find now, but it was this girl critiquing like Disney movies and saying like, why do we as women act the way we are? Or maybe it's because we watched these movies when we were younger. And it was like all the princesses were, you know, having to be saved by men. Ariel literally gives up her voice for a man. All of the people with power, like all the women who are powerful, other villains like Maleficent and things like that. And, you know, Sleeping Beauty woken up by a kiss of true love and blah, blah, blah. And, like, she really broke down, like, all the Disney princesses and all the reasons why, you know, Disney princesses are seen as, like, such a girly thing. And it's, like, such a when you're a little girl, like, you look up to these Disney princesses. But realistically, if you break down the storylines, the Disney princesses actually. And I think the only difference is with Frozen, potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I think Frozen might be different altogether because it's like, you know, the story of sisters and things like that. But yeah, she broke down all the Disney princesses and it was like, okay, yeah, we think of Cinderella and like, or Ariel and like all these fabulous like Disney princesses, like role models for these little girls. But like, if you actually break down the story, they like shouldn't be role models at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because it's all actually male centered.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love where this episode has gone.
Speaker 1: I love that we started at funerals. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And now we're talking about Disney princesses.
Speaker 2: This is what we do here at High Scrollers. But I think lessons for today's episode. Lesson number one, figure out what you want your funeral to look like.
Speaker 1: Honestly, and don't be scared of it. Because if I was to die tomorrow, I would rather have died with a plan rather than my loved ones having.
Speaker 3: To think of it for me.
Speaker 2: Stress about it, yeah.
Speaker 3: And they would do a great job. I'm sure you'd be involved, Matt.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But, you know, like I would rather have that planned.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it can be anything you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Your funeral can be anything you want. I'd get the coffin confessor there for sure.
Speaker 2: Really? What would you have to confess?
Speaker 1: Well, if I died suddenly and didn't get a chance to say what I really wanted to say.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. So your coffin confessor would read out Tiffany's list of problems with everyone.
Speaker 3: Bill Edgar.
Speaker 1: I love that guy. Look him up if you don't remember that episode. Look up the coffin confessor on TikTok. You can pay him to go to your funeral to say anything you want.
Speaker 2: Other lessons? Just be ugly. And be okay with that. What's wrong with being ugly? Another lesson. Bloating is a non-issue. Normal.
Speaker 1: Normal.
Speaker 2: Bloating is normal. Okay? And the last lesson is India. We'll see you next Tuesday.