Speaker 1: Welcome to the Late Debase. Good evening and welcome to the program. I'm Caleb Bond with Joe Hildebrand and Liz Storer, and shout out to our mate James McPherson who's gone away on holiday for two weeks. I can't believe he's abandoned, but he's having a wonderful her I'm overseas, so I can understand that. Yet another reason to hate counsels. A woman in Queensland has been find more than eight hundred dollars for slipping in her own car while her house is being renovated. Can you believe it? When we get to the papers, school in Sydney is allowing children to opt out of an ANZAC service, and Victoria's getting its second police commissioner in just as many months. And we've finally found the answer. The federal government has found the answer of how to get people to quit smoking. They've enacted it today. We'll tell you what it is a little bit later on. Now, can you believe this story out of the UK that apparently a child as young as three four has been expelled from nursery school. So that's the equivalent of preschool or kindergarten here in Australia four being transphobic or homophobic. I mean, I wish I was joking about this, but the Telegraph from the UK got their hands on data from the Education Department and it found that in the twenty twenty three, sorry twenty twenty two, twenty three academic year, there was at least one child between the ages of three and four who was expelled for the offense of quote abuse against sexual orientation and gender identity. There were ninety four primary school children in all who were either expelled or suspended for that crime. Ten of them were in year one and three of them were in year two. So we're talking about children of three, four, five six years old here who have apparently been homophobic or transphobic. The Education Department said that all pupils and staff should feel safe and protected at school and should never face violence or abuse. I mean, what on earth is could a three or four year old child be doing in preschool that would be deemed homophobic or transphobic? I mean, you know, did the kid happen to miss gender a teacher or something, because you know, the kid can see better than anyone else that missus is actually a mister, and then mister was offended by it. Seriously, this is beyond belief.
Speaker 2: If your ideology punishes children for not complying, you know you've gone off the deep end. And we don't get any examples of what these children have apparently said or done in order to be rendered guilty of this also terrible crime. You've also got to wonder who the heck you.
Speaker 1: Are owned these schoolrooms.
Speaker 2: Who are the teachers reporting on these children for having been transfer phobic or homophobic? Who are these teachers who are obviously very much wedded to this ideology to the extent that they're happy to take it out on children. I loved this tweet by JK. Rowling, who's been a massive defender of women's rights and who has consistently railed against trans ideology. She says, this is totalitarian insanity. If you think small children should be punished for being able to recognize sex, you are a dangerous zealot who should be nowhere near kids or in any position of authority over them. It's that simple, for crying out loud. We've got enough terrible examples out of the UK of adults being arrested over memes they've put on social media thousands of arrests in the year twenty twenty one alone. I'll get to that in a bit, But now we're talking about kids. How are they expected to know any better? And why should they their children?
Speaker 3: It's amazing. I mean talk about kids being you know, homophobic or transfer. Kids are everything phobic, I mean everything A kid says, he's inappropriate, that's what, that's what, that's right exactly, and the idea, I mean, I can't There was a thing in my son's preschool and it was unbelievable, how ridiculously serious they seriously they took it. But my son and I think we have moved past it now that he's in grade six. But my son and another two kids managed to steal the iPad, the teacher's iPad at the childcare center, the preschool or whatever, and went right, we've got an iPad, what should we do with it? And of course the very first thing that they did was take photos of their naked asses, calling it as kate and the educators, look, this is terribly so we have to make you aware. This is been a potential there's been a sexual incidentally, there is absolutely nothing sexual about this kid. It's the first thing that any idiotic boy will do. You kind of get the feeling that with the best of intentions, I'm sure, but that in applying these rules for the so called quite un quite safety of kids, they're actually inserting all these kind of concepts that kids are just not ready for. They just do not want to know about. It's potentially dangerous or creepy to actually familiarize with this sort of stuff all in the name of protecting them. And that's what I've just always found it just so weird that that we seem to have done this, you know, and that we're sort of sexualizing our kids out of the fear that our kids are being sexualized.
Speaker 1: And we talked about this a decade ago with the safe Schools program that was being rolled out in New South Wales. You might remember, what on earth could a three or four year old kid be doing knowingly that is homophobic or transphobica. It's just not a thing. Kids don't think that way. Kids don't have prejudices. I mean, they're pretty good bullies, it should be noted, but they don't have prejudices like that. And to introduce the idea that they would even think that way stupid, but it's an attack on free speech, as there is a lot of going on in the UK, yet another example of just how badly things have devolved over there. You can't even we're talking about schools. You can't even criticize your child school anymore without having the roses rock up at your door, six of them in this case, and take you away for questioning because you committed the crime of saying something unsavory about a teacher or a principle in a WhatsApp group. I can't believe this is actually real, but this is what happened to a couple in the UK. You can see footage hear of them being taken away by the coppers. Maxi Allen and his wife Rosalind Levine were the ones who faced the questioning from police. They were called in by the school. Now the problem for them is the police studies. Is that Maxie Allen is a journalist. He works for Times Radio in the UK, so of course he was going to tell the public about it. He explains here exactly what happened on that WhatsApp group.
Speaker 4: Like most parents, we chunted about a few things. One thing we talked about on that group was a letter from the school commanding all parents not to talk about the school on Facebook or social media or WhatsApp groups. We thought that was a bit off. My partner Roslin made a handful of vaguely spicy comments. She referred to one school leader as a control freak. She said the chair of governors didn't know much about anything out of the blue. On the twelfth of July last year, the Chair of Governors wrote to Rosalind and me. She accused us of posting disparaging and inflammatory comments on WhatsApp and Facebook.
Speaker 3: Control.
Speaker 1: We better call in the police. How is this even real? The police, the Hertfordshire Police, the arrests were necessary to fully investigate the allegations, as his routine in these types of matters. Following further investigations, officers deemed that no further action could be taken to do insufficient evidence. What do they mean, Joe routine? How many times do the police callen for like a rude WhatsApp?
Speaker 3: Clearly there is just not enough crime in the UK. The police just enough today, that's right, But it just like we forget about the insufficient evidence, insufficient evidence of what what crime could possibly have been committed here. And more importantly, who in that WhatsApp group is snitching.
Speaker 1: To the school exactly?
Speaker 3: That's what I want to know, that they've got a mole, they got someone in that is going. I mean, anyone who's in a WhatsApp group and has as you have kids, you will just realize that they just spring up instantaneously. People say stuff all the time. There's just it's just honestly, the idea that you could be held responsible for something said what's that group at all? Let alone that the cops would actually show up to your house. I mean, it's not like that would ever happen in Australia. It's not a Victorian police whatever rock up at your door for something you'd said on social media. I mean, that's just outrageous, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But a five week investigation. This was a five week investigation, no wonder you think there mustn't be any crime in the UK and six cops coming round to arrest this couple in front of their two crying daughters. They also have a three year old who naturally will live with this for the rest of her life. She's like, I saw my mom and my dad being taken away by the cops. I'm standing in that as it is about what have my parents done? Now they herd Fordshire Police statement reads are Look, this is just routine.
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 2: The arrests were necessary to fully investigate the allegations as his routine in these type of matters, Like you say, this is routine, really ordinary at all for them, And this is now what the UK is famous for the world over. They arrest women who aren't even visibly praying. They are by themselves with their eyes wide open, in the vicinity of abortion clinics. You get arrested for that. I still remember the case. This was a twenty eighteen case. You can look it up. Her name was Chelsea Russell. She was a nineteen year old girl. This is how bad it's been, and this is how long it's been this way in the UK. She lost a friend in a car accident and by way of tribute to him, she posted his favorite rap song the lyrics of his favorite rap song on her Instagram account, and like many rap songs, it featured the N word in it. Well, she was taken to court, she was found guilty. She was given five hundred hours of community service. She was fined and for a year she lived under a eight pm to eight am curfew. So we're not punishing the rapper who wrote the lyrics. We're punishing a girl who posted her friend's favorite song for crying out loud. People are being arrested for memes. Like I said before, in the year twenty twenty one, Russia arrested four hundred people for online posts, and we say, oh, well, that's to be expect Russia. Yeah, now the day another dollar, it's Russia. In the same year, the UK arrested three thousand, three hundred people for things that they had posted online. Far more, by the way, we're visited by police. We're just talking about the arrests here. So it was no surprise to anyone that a couple of weeks ago, when Kirs Starmer was in the White House, JD Vance did not miss a trick raising the dire case of free speech in the United Kingdom with the Prime Minister Kis Starma.
Speaker 5: We also know that there have been infringements on free speech that actually affect not just the British, of course what the British do in their own country is up to them, but also affect American technology companies and by extension, American citizens. So that is something that we'll talk about today at launching.
Speaker 6: We've had bretis speech for a very very long time in the United Kingdom and it will last for a very very long time. Well no, I mean, certainly we wouldn't want to reach across US citizens and we don't know that's absolutely right. But in relation to pre speech in the UK, I'm very proud of our history there.
Speaker 2: Of course, Americans know that as of August last year, that is a lie. They can too reach across and punish Americans for things that they post. They can indeed look that one up as well. So vance knew sitting there that the Prime Minister was lying, and so does every single American saying in American matters.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Elon Musk remains under fire, quite literally under fire now with Tesla centers burning in Rome and Stockholm. Check out this footage and overnote. Fire at a Tesla dealership in Rome destroyed seventeen cars, while in Sweden to dealerships and cars were also vandalized in this latest string of attacks on Tesla's by virtue of Elon Mausk being a supporter of Donald Trump. These people will stop at absolutely nothing. They know that Tesla shares have plummeted over fifty percent in just the last three months alone, and that's before they got started. These domestic terrorists are certainly earning their name of domestic terrorists. And yet if you tune into some of their rallies.
Speaker 7: It looks like a dance party.
Speaker 2: Would you believe it? A woman who has written a book, just innocently written a book, but made the mistake of having one of the characters say something nice about Elon Musk has now had her publisher cancel on her simply for two lines from a specific character, her main character, and now her novel Sparrow and Vine, has just been plucked off bookshelves. In fact, didn't even make it to the printing press as she'd been promised. Elon Musk's heart has of course gone out to this poor woman who was about to become a published or Today, he shared social media this little clip read out of the Communist directive of nineteen forty three, and his tweets said nothing's changed in all these years.
Speaker 8: In nineteen forty three, the following directive was issued from party headquarters to all communists in the United States, it read. When certain obstructionists become too irritating, label them after suitable build ups, as fascist or Nazi or anti Semitic, and use the prestige of anti fascist and tolerance organizations to discredit them in the public mind. Constantly associate those who oppose us with those names which already have a bad smell. The association will, after enough repetition, become fact in the public mind.
Speaker 2: True that Tit's as true today as it ever was. And Musk is rightly saying, good grief. My cars being burned. I've been labeled in nazy. My gars are being burnt to the ground. Tesla dealerships are going up in flames all over the Western world. Now this woman can't even publish her book anymore because there's one line in it in which the main character says, quote, I was inspired by Elon Musk, I use his five step design process. That was literally it. That was it the line.
Speaker 3: That cost her her book in the Communist defense, that is terrible dialogue. It's just awful.
Speaker 1: And that a romance book had been pulled by the publisher for something to do with Elon Musk. I thought, oh my god, someone has written a book where like someone falls in love with Elon Musk and it's like some weird, just disgusting story. No wonder it's been pulled. And then I read it was just her saying I was inspired by Elon Musk and the.
Speaker 3: Other actually the scenario you just mentioned earlier, Caleb, that was actually real life.
Speaker 1: I'm not just doing here. But the other thing that a character, the same character says in this book, and for this she's been deemed racist. Top of that, remember this is just an author writing for a character. Now you know there are racist characters in did you Did you know that there is? Buddy Hell, there's even phobic characters in books and movies and films. I suppose we're going to have to cancel every actor who's played a homophobic person or a racist person, you know, a very long, a long list. But the offending line was, quote, shouldn't there be a crew of people with questionable work visas picking these grapes for us? Said that the hate crime, it's got to go.
Speaker 3: The nylon should have gone. After I had finished realizing that Elon Musk's five point strategy was anything but inspiring, but was in fact a quasi fascist neoliberal hate.
Speaker 1: Crime came out of mind. Case.
Speaker 3: I then turned to my friend who is of African American descent, even though I don't see color, and said black lives matter. Then we went to the movies, but I had to have a trigger warning because it was gone with the wind. What do they want people to talk about? But this is the thing, they're just trites. Are just not very good at democracy. And that's the thing. They're not very good at stopping Donald Trump from getting elected. They're not very good at actually, you know, manipulating the market in such a wack was that I actually believed that the market should have a right to exist in such a way that Tesla actually you know, collapses of its own accord ie by it not buying Tesla's, which is difficult because they were the ones who went out and bought all the Tesla's, when having a Tesla was a sign of virtue, signaling what are wealthy overprivileged inner city was be to what you were instead of being what, you know, an advocate of hate criminal and Trump supporter Elon Muskular. And so the problem is that these are the sort of people who have actually aid Elon Muster. The billionaire is and now that they've bought all the Tesselas, they can't unbuy them, and they can't sell to anyone else because no one else wants to buy them, and so they just decided to blow them all up and then do that dance. If you want to talk about a hate crime pokey thing with all the all the pink haired boomers kind of wiggling around with their sandwich board.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty good demonstration that is the mental state. Or you know, seeing your mom there, well you might do so. But but this business of them going around and fire bombing dealerships and just attacking innocent people's cars, it's not just Dan, We're going to end up with someone dead here, Like they are eventually going to get the wrong car and it'll have someone in it, or someone will be in a dealership later or something, and they're going to kill someone. This is domestic terrorism.
Speaker 2: Well I think that is their aim, not to kill someone, but inevitably there's already been people taken to hospital from some of these protests. I watched a video just today of a woman who was cut off in traffic. Men jumped out of the car because she was driving a Tesla and she's got all this recorded because she had a dash can and this guy's trying to grab her through the window. She was rightly, utterly terrified, and of course people watching this take place it just like I would be mad to drive my Tesla when the temperature.
Speaker 3: Is this hot.
Speaker 2: We've got people cutting them off in traffic, their cars going up in flames, They're leaving them in a car park. You're just getting your grossery.
Speaker 3: Does come back to the mines to death with their mobility?
Speaker 2: Is it any wonder? Check out this footage from a car lot next to PERF car Sorry PERF Airport, which was taking by car industry expert Paul Marrick, pointing out just how many Teslas are sitting in the car park lot and nobody knows what to do with them because nobody wants to buy them. You're just asking at the moment to have your car either blown up, vandalized, or heaven forbid, have a horrific instance like that poor woman who was simply innocently driving along and these mugs in this car in front of her cut her off and decided to take it out on her personally.
Speaker 3: No who drives a Tesla. Chris Bowen. So the next time these.
Speaker 1: Vilence, So the next time.
Speaker 3: Some crazy knuckle dragging, violent eco terrorist trot wants to attack someone in a tesla, they could be attacking the actual climate change minister who is delivering net zero for you lazy, no good, dirty footed hippies.
Speaker 1: And who would have thought that it would take this to get left wingers to hate electric vehicles, sir, we would have done long time ago. And while we're talking about vehicles, Spah thought for Belinda Lee Rose. She lives on the Gold Coast. Her house is currently being renovated, so while that's going on, she's been sleeping in her vehicle. Now, she says her car was parked on her driveway. I suspect it probably was on the part of the driveway that includes council land, because the council came along and gave her a fine more than eight hundred dollars for daring to sleep in her own car outside of her own house.
Speaker 9: Here, she is explaining, they issued me with this notice and is unlawful camping in a public place, which carries an eight hundred and six dollar fine.
Speaker 10: Where was I parked? I'm happy you asked on my property in my driveway. Let's not pay attention to the fact that I pay over three thousand dollars in council rate for my property that I purchased, and not to the fact that I pay registration cost and road costs for my vehicle to be on the road.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a joke. Why can't you sleep in your own car? Anyway? I understand you might come into a problem if you've got you know, one hundred and twenty people all lined up sleeping in their cars and turning the local park into an encampment. But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about one woman out the front of her house, which is being renovated, sleeping in her car, and some council officer comes knocks on the window. She's eight hundred and six dollars thanks now, thankfully the Gold Coast Mere Tom Tat has now said he's looking into it. Since so there's been public attention put on it. But you know, you give some people an ounce of power, Liz, and they just take it so far they become so overly officious. What makes what is.
Speaker 2: The extra sickening about this is one of her neighbors had to have dogged a rim so when they came and knocked on her door. She obviously wasn't sleeping in the car at that time, but some one had to have noticed that she was doing this.
Speaker 3: It was the same person in the WhatsApp.
Speaker 2: Chaselve clearly taken upon themselves to call up the council and say, this woman, who obviously isn't homeless, she must own the place because she's renoing it for crying out loud. So they've taken it upon themselves to call up the council and dab in this woman who's simply, in a very creative way, trying to get around the fact that her house is doing an extensive reno at the moment.
Speaker 1: And heck, why.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you take advantage of your own free accommodation. It's like a granny flat, but it's in the front, not the back, and mobile.
Speaker 1: Grastead of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the backyard you want for this again? I mean, if if she was homeless, it would be even worse. And I happen to know quite a lot about this because one of the things I did to help raise money in whares for the Salvos twenty years ago is basically the beginning of my relationship with them was I slept in the car. It actually belonged to a Salvo's worker and he gave me his beat up old car and I slept in it for a night and then filmed it to show how more and more people are living cars because people homeless. People being forced to live in their cars is actually one of the fastest growing, highest growing areas of homelessness. Is a massive, massive concern, and so we did that and generated heaps of it. Was the biggest story in the Daily Telegraph that day. But just since then, I've just been hyper aware of the number of people doing it. We said all the time, there's a whole bunch in the street where I live, basically just down the road. And again people are being forced to do this in the middle of the cost of living crisis, the idea on public or private land, whatever, the idea that a council officer or a council will be going around finding people for that. I mean, she's I suppose one of the lucky ones in that she's renovating her home. But imagine handing out fines to someone that can't afford to live anywhere but the front seat of their car. I mean that is just consfionable. I mean anyone who could go through with doing that and not actually, so, hang on a minute, should we really be doing this? So hopefully Tom Tait gets the bottom of it, puts a broom through the joint and make sure that this is never happening anywhere again, because certainly the local council where we are actually allows these people to live as they live, even protects them and sort of moves them on because they were in a flood zone for a while. So yeah, it's not perfect. In a perfect world they'd be living, wouldn't be living their cars at all. But for the love of God, counsels should be helping these people, not trying to slap even more penalties on them.
Speaker 2: What are they want tent cities like Brisbane?
Speaker 1: Like, if you're not making a nuisance out of yourself, why can't you sleep in your own car? I slept in my car once out of necessity because I was caught short on a drive from Adelaide to Sydney. It was a fee of five hundred by the way I got into the passages.
Speaker 3: It wasn't because he'd knocked over too many Crown lagas well.
Speaker 1: Well, I got to I got to Wogga Wogga, and it was nine o'clock at night, and I thought I can't the journey through the Sydney side. Stopped and cracked open a bottle of red and in the campground in Waga Woga, and then climbed into the passenger seat in the five hundred and wound it back and slept in it. I can't tell you it wasn't terribly comfortable. But this is the reality that a lot of people face now that they have to live in their cars. And if you're not making a nuisance out of yourself, you should not be stopped from doing so. I mean, do even think My grandparents had a motor home once, and they came and pulled up at the front of our place in Adelaide and stayed the night in the motor home. And by doing so, they apparently are committing some sort of an offense because they're camping at a public place by sleeping in their vehicle. The idea that that is illegal in the first place, I just find ridiculous. My granddie's did the same. They absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: They do these massive road trips and come visit mum every time she had a baby. I think Grandma before committing to that custom didn't know Mum intended to have seven of us, and so they ended up making a lot of troops around Australia while they were based up in Chi. That's a lot of illegal park indeed, indeed, but the rules were different back then as they should be. Now to France now where in the latest blow to European democracy, Marie Lapan, who's leading the polls to win the presidency in France in twenty twenty seven, has been sent to prison for four years. The charge I'm glad you asked embezzlement of European Parliament funds on a vast scale. Do you believe it?
Speaker 3: While we're about to find out.
Speaker 2: If she is on French TV this morning saying she will be appealing this and fighting it all the way.
Speaker 1: Zushi Kombatchieva, I'm a fighter.
Speaker 11: I'm not going to let myself be eliminated like that. I'm going to pursue every avenue of recourse i can. There's a small path. It may be narrow, but it does exist. In fact, I'm going to ask in the clearest possible way for the appealed decision to be handed down, enabling me to consider running in the presidential election. I will always stand by the French.
Speaker 2: Go your hardest, Lapen. This is her fourth run for the presidency and she's never been doing better in the polls than now. Why because one of her biggest stances is anti immigration and what does Europe want less of immigration? So she's soaring in the polls, her opponents have to take her out somehow. And where have we seen this? Well, just two weeks ago Romania did the same thing. The guy who had won their first round of elections they have a very weird system over there, and was looking set to win the second round. Well, they just came up with some charges against him and he's ruled out of running now as well. And didn't we also see this with the case of one Donald Trump. Yet he was elected president with a treasure trove of criminal cases hanging over his head, none of it they could get to stick. And I bet my bottom dollar the same will happen with Leapen. How is it possible that anyone actually falls for this? And the troubling thing about this trend of just taking out your political opponents somehow is that you're messing with something no democratic system should mess with. The Only people who can get rid of an elected representative because she is already is the people, not your political opponents. You start going through your dirty laundry or just making it up and trying to find a way to eliminate you and therefore to entrench their own power. What this does is once people perceive that democracy is just a farce and anyone standing up to the current system is being arrested and carted off, you're just inviting anarchy in your own country.
Speaker 1: Well, this embezzlement that she's been convicted of is essentially that she and others in her party employed staffers in the European Parliament and then use those staff as to work on domestic politics. Ie, they weren't doing much work in the European Parliament. That's what they've called embuslement. We had a case exactly like that in Australia. It's called Redshoets in Victoria. Daniel Andrews in opposition. He denied any knowledge of it, but his opposition, when he was leading it and was then elected, used parliamentary staff on company time parliamentary time to go out and campaign in Labor Merch. They did it. No one in the Labor Party was convicted or charged or anything happened there. And you can't tell me that this is the first time that anyone in the history of Europe has employed someone in the European Parliament and then said to them, all, you know, we've got a rally on the weekend in France. Can you come along and do some work there instead of doing work in the European Parliament. This stuff goes on all the time in all facets of politics. Every party does it in some way, shape or form. But of course you've got Marine Lapine, You've got a Marine la Pine letting.
Speaker 3: The Red Shirts were in the same jurisdiction though like at least they were actually operating issue sorry, rather than taking money from say New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Or well, France is in euros. But the threat, of course is that Marine Lapin went from thirty four percent of the presidential vote in twenty seventeen to forty one point four five percent in twenty twenty two. And in the legislative election they had last year, and maybe this two round thing as well. But in France, in the first round their vote was up fourteen and a half percent, and in the second round it was up eighty, so nineteen point eight percent. So they can see that La pen is a serious political threat and may well win the presidential election in twenty twenty seven. So they've gone, well, we're just going to take the opportunity to try and take her.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, the thing is, I mean I have no problem obviously with I mean, elected officials get prosecuted for crimes all the time, and that's there's provisions in Australia where if you get convicted of a crime I think that carries more than a one year jail sentence, you're automatically disqualified from parts, same as if you're bankrupt, so you don't even have to commit a crime. If you're bankrupt, you don't allowed to sit in the parliament. But the question I always ask is, and the same with Donald Trump, I have no idea that I have no doubt that he was guilty of the campaign fraud or whatever it was he was convicted of. The point is how politically stupid it is to do that and to pursue these people and to make martyrs of them, because it looks like it does look, it makes it look like the electorate that firstly, the electorate's never going to believe they're guilty anyway, it's believe that they do it. And secondly, they're going to believe that they're so powerful and so popular, which means makes everyone think that they're on the side of right and the side of history. They're going after them and the court is the only way to get it. So it just strikes me, notwithstanding the legal status of any of this, but it just is so politically stupid. And you would think after you saw what happened with Donald Trump, and you know, that infamous mugshot and that infamous prosecution basically gave him a platform to stand on where it didn't really have one, like it really put lead in his pencils. Is what he's going to fight for. This is why I was going to fight the system, and they just go and repeat the formula in the US. I just wonder in France, I just wonder, like, who's running these guys, who's advising them? Certainly not me.
Speaker 1: Seems silly, doesn't it now. I was reading the ABC today and you might say, why the hell are you doing that? But I do it every now and again because I think it pays to keep an eye.
Speaker 3: On what the is a subscription to the Saturday paper.
Speaker 1: That one was I've got to go for the free version. Well it's not free, actually I am paying for it, so I figure I may as well get some use out of it and juno over there. Obviously, I didn't have too much to do today or yesterday, and thought, oh, what can we do. I'll go and ask an academic whether swearing in front of children is bad. Now the answer they've come back with is not really according to the story, it's is swearing around children isn't bad for them. They don't take offense to it, It doesn't cause them any psychological harm. But swearing at children, says either commonis can be a form of emotional abuse and linked to harmful outcomes for some children. She's a clinical psychologist, and I would have thought that is a statement of the bleeding obvious. But it was a good excuse, nevertheless, to show you this clip out of the UK of a kid who is asked at a panto whether their parents ever swear, and well that the kid was rather forthcoming. Have you ever used any bad words.
Speaker 3: Like bar or humbug?
Speaker 1: Out of the mouths of babes a bit. It was interesting one.
Speaker 3: Of our bosses for having audience interaction.
Speaker 1: I know that's the best part of pandomas I used to do pandos years ago back in Adelaide, and there's such great fun. They should be everywhere bringing back. But one of our bosses was saying earlier, you know, is that the footy recently with kids around, and it was all these people swearing and carrying on. And some viewers may not know, but I swear like a trooper when I'm not on air. I'm not as perfect as you think I actually am. I'm not their shot.
Speaker 3: He swears it impeccable English, correct, his properdiction and the beautiful the high Adelaide access.
Speaker 1: That it works. It just gives it an extra element. But but he had to ask people to, you know, not swear so much because there are so many kids around. It does raise can you swear around kids or not?
Speaker 2: I think it's a matter of opinion. Certainly, in my household, swearing we were always taught is a sign of a lack of intelligence, because my mum would always be like, if peoples properly without using these four letter words, So as a kid, I swear I was genuinely like, oh, that person stupid.
Speaker 3: I can then conficiently confirm that my house is the dumbest house in Australia.
Speaker 1: And mine would probably be second dumbest on that front. But I don't think that's quite so true. After the break, we'll get into the paper's shocking story about the school in Sydney that is allowing children to opt out of participating in an and why would you wonder why no one wants to sign up for the retreat? That's more, after the break, let's get stuck into the papers. Joe, you have the front page of your erstwhile employees.
Speaker 3: I do. Indeed, the Telly's got an absolute cracker of a splash tomorrow out of respect. See what they did there. Calls for state to step in as school lets kids opt out of ANZAC day. A decision by a Sydney primary school to allow students to opt out of an ANZAC service has sparked outrage among parents and veterans, with calls for the state government to intervene to ensure quote the sacrifices of those who served and died are never forgotten. Incredible story and just that headline is just fantastic. Out of respect. So we need to you know, we need to pay our respects to the ANZACs, out of respect to them, but also theols. The school is out of respect.
Speaker 1: They're opting. You're not out of respect, respect of respect. It's particulous. So this is the schools in Kellyville. It's called would be more patriot I know Sherwood Ridge Primary School. But apparently the dealer here is that there's a small number of Christian students who belong to a group called the Exclusive Brethren, and they don't commemorate war, and so they've been allowed to opt out. I don't care what your religion is, what your beliefs are. Anzac Day does not commemorate war. It is us giving thanks to people who put their lives on the line and also lost their lives in defense of our country. That's not to commemorate or celebrate war. It's to celebrate human life, is it not?
Speaker 2: It is? And look, if you have, if you're Exclusive Brethren, just keep your kids home that day. Why are you involving the school and school? Why are you letting them just say? Look, we're not letting anyone opt out, But if you want to keep, you get at home that day. It's your kid that's entirely up to you. The fact that any leeway has been given with regards to this is just absolutely disgusting. How about the state government just closed the school down altogether? Because if that is how happy you are to have kids in your patch that do not recognize our fallen soldiers and respect those who's the benefits of their sacrifice you enjoy every single flipping day of your life and will until the day you die, then sod it.
Speaker 3: Why to opt out of education?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: English because colonial a bit white supremacist.
Speaker 1: I wish I'd found a religion that disagreed with maths.
Speaker 3: Maths is racist. Do you know that? Look it up and just google art you think I'm joking.
Speaker 2: To the front page of the Mercury Now News, stop Search bill debate propose new laws allow police to search anyone they suspect might be carrying a knife. Represent a quote significant and dangerous increase in police powers end quote, The Australian Lawyer's Alliance says, the Police Offenses Amendment knives. Another weapons bill was tabled in the House of Assembly on Tuesday. The new laws allow police to search people in a public place if they reasonably suspect they are carrying a knife. It says refusing to be searched is grounds for reasonable suspicion, So if you refuse to be searched, then you definitely have to be searched. And it also raises the penalty for possessing or carrying a knife in public to up to two years in jail. This is a very interesting one because it inarguably impedes on people's well just your right to get around without the police coming up to you and being like, well, for whatever reasons, we want to search you right now.
Speaker 1: Well, they basically just legislated away the requirement for a warrant for any kind of search, because all they need to do is say, well, we reasonably suspect you have a knife on you, and you'll say, well, I don't want to be searched, and then they go, well, that's reasonable suspicion, so now we're going out. And then when they do it, they may will find not a knife, but something else on your person, like drugs or whatever it might be, and you might say, well, you shouldn't be getting around with drugs or a knife. Et cetera. And I agree you shouldn't be getting around with it. But surely if you are to be searched by police, they ought to have a warrant to do so.
Speaker 3: Well, you kind of think, you know, you could almost sort of do an identic picture of the people that would just be searching again and again and again and again. I can't imagine they'd be searching too many lawyers outside the Hobart court House or policy outside the Tasmanian parlut.
Speaker 1: They what if they wanted to look for cocaine.
Speaker 3: Well, that's right exactly. But yeah, I think it is a little bit concerning. I mean, I know there was laws proposed in New South Wales. I'm not sure where they're at. Where there's just a spate of nice knife crime and cops are really struggling to keep up with that. And there were cases where it's absolutely obvious to all and sundry that kids were up to no good and we're packing knives and the cops that we just need the powers to be able to stop and search, and so you kind of think you need to make sure the cops have the power to do what they need to do when it's just obvious that you know these kids are running in gangs where they're all packing knives. But again, do you really want I mean, I'm not sure what's happening in the bad lands of Hobart. I know this this came after a terrible case savving death in twenty nineteen. But unless this is an endemic problem that no other measure has been able to solve, you kind of think It's always said that making laws just on the basis of one single example instead of what's happening over is often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it often happens. But and the problem is, you know, you give up one freedom, you give up one freedom, you give up one freedom, you give up one freedom for the greater good, and then one day you wake up with no freedom whatsoever. Unfortunately, Cracking Yan on the front of the Herald Sun Tomorrow by Anthony dowsleaks exclusive He's one of the best in the business of the knives.
Speaker 3: There could be a few in this guy's back.
Speaker 1: Top cop gone again. Victoria's acting Chief Commissioner, Rick Nugent has sensationally quit the force after just forty one days in the top job. The heralds sound can reveal mister Newsent informed the Allen government on Tuesday afternoon he wanted to depart as soon as possible, citing the stress of the job. There's also allegations of apparently inappropriate conduct involving a conflict of interest during a previous stint as a commissioner that have been coming before.
Speaker 3: The iback, didn't you hear, Caleb was the stress of the job and it has nothing to do with the allegations of inappropriate conduct. You know the funny it wouldn't make the jobs.
Speaker 1: The funny thing here, of course, is that the Allen government pushed out the previous commissioner, then they handpicked this bloke and then he said, see you later, I'm out of here. Things are going really well for the Allen government's relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, it beats the question what's really going on here because we know with these resignations you never get the full story, and obviously the assumption is being created or it's got something to do with these other allegations. Who knows if that's true. And yet we know the former guy was turfed and wasn't too happy about it and had his own story. But again you never get told the full story, but the idea of it wonders what is the state of the force that these guys are just falling Like Domino's.
Speaker 3: The idea that a top cop who's previously served in the role suddenly after forty one days. I didn't realize how stressful it was going to about. I mean, that just does not pass the pub test, and it just it's just fascical. Victoria is just a foul state. But if we could just look at the picture of the guy again, if we could pull up the Herald's Sun Harold's on front page again, if we've got it great to see that Peter Beatty has found life after politics.
Speaker 1: He is actually, if you.
Speaker 3: Squint it, Peter Betty has never been inappropriate.
Speaker 1: And look, if it was Peter Betty, you could fully understand why he's not getting along wer.
Speaker 3: Right because he's incredibly sensible, the right side of laid pad. I'm getting the advertiser now we have and we basically just did this for the song Don's bad Medicine? Who shake it up to sack bad medicine? Albow doesn't vow to fight Trump attack on subsidized treatment. Yes, it's another unity ticket. Darts has agreed with Albo yet again, Anthony ALBERDEESI and Peter Darton on a rare Well, it's not that rare. This is Claire Armstrong actually, so Claire, whatever you say is absolutely correct, your Great recorder, on a rare election unity ticket, with both declaring that Australia's medicine subsidies and biosecurity protections are not up for debate as the threat of Trump administration tariff's loom. So there you go. Peter Darton backed in the eight point five billion dollar medicare package, backed in the one hundred and fifty power cuts, did not back in the tax cuts, but he's backing the government on not negotiating over the PBS chief medicines.
Speaker 1: I know the pharmaceutical why election again? Good point. I know the pharmaceutical companies in the US don't like it. But you know we're just using our collective power to force them, strong arm them to sell it to us for a cheaper price, don't I know what?
Speaker 3: I'm set that?
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to a break, shall we. After that, we found the answer. We're going to stop everyone from smoking. The federal government has done it today. I'll tell you what it is.
Speaker 3: After this.
Speaker 1: One number you mightn't heard out of the federal budget recently, is that the federal government has lost more than fourteen billion dollars in the tobacco excise. And that's not because everyone's given up smoking. It's because they've all gone to the illegal cigarettes, the top chop that you can get for twenty bucks or less inconvenience stores on every corner in basically every street in this country. People, well, yeah, right, they will have done that to which is again illegal apparently because you know, why would we have smoking cessation aids available? But the federal government has found the silver bullet to get people to stop smoking once and for all. So you got past the.
Speaker 3: Packet of it. And if they're losing all that money, shouldn't they be getting them starting smoking again.
Speaker 1: It'd be contributing more tax. But you got past the front of the packet with the gruesome images on it from the warnings, and you got through the years of being beaten over their head by being treated like a social leper because you're a smoker, and all the education you got at school, you got all of that, got past all that. So they're going to smoke anyway. I know. It's bad for my health. Well, they found the way to get you to stop. They're going to print the warning on the cigarette itself. Yes, they're writing on the cigarettes the messages toxic addiction, poisons in every puff, causes sixteen cancers, damages your lungs, damages DNA. Who is this harming? What is this costing you? I thought that was a gambling message and shortens your life. But of course, if you're buying the illegal cigarettes, as everyone now is, and that's why the federal government's losing money, Liz, you don't get subjected to those messages.
Speaker 3: So the legal ones are good for you then present.
Speaker 1: We're not saying they're good for you. But it's just so stupid, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Well, next month, Kamala Harris is coming to Australia. Yes, she's going to be speaking at a real estate conference on the Gold Coast. These Australasian real estate conference organizers have hailed her as quote a trailblazer end quote. I can't wait to see what this woman is going to contribute to us, these real estate people in the middle of the cost of living crisis, are housing crisis. What are her pearls of wisdom? Going to be from this arterly failed politician who couldn't even flip a single county in the presidential election. Here she is, she's going to give us advice.
Speaker 3: Joe, I remember when this was first point out to me a couple that I said, this has got to be fake. There is no way. This is just beyond satire. Like the best gig she can get is a real estate convention on the Gold Coast, right, okay, And I'm.
Speaker 1: Not sure whether that proves that the real estate convention is paying her way too much money or that they don't have a lot of money. And that's the best she can get a comment pay for who knows? It is extraordinary? Take advice from here. That's it. From us to night, up next to the reader, panic