Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Britney Saunders and welcome to Big Business, the place where business is far from boring.
Speaker 2: And today I'm recording on gadigal Land.
Speaker 1: I somehow manage to build an empire from the garage underneath my house, and I'm here on Big Business to share it all with you, from the wins, the huge mistakes, the challenging times and the funny moments in between. So whether you're in business already, you're not in the game at all, or you simply just want to hear some tea or get some inspiration, this is the podcast for you. Coming up on today's episode, I am joined by yet another special guest. Today I'm going to be chatting with Victoria Divine. Victoria is a multi award winning retired financial advisor, a best selling author of five books. She's a financial columnist for The Age and Sydney Morning Herald and she's host of Australia's number one finance podcast, She's On the Money. Victoria is also the founder of Zella Money, which is an Australia wide mortgage broking and asset finance company.
Speaker 2: She has been named in.
Speaker 1: The Forbes thirty Under thirty list in the past and is a driven entrepreneur who seeks to empower individuals on their financial journeys and make finance accessible for everyone. She's honest, relatable, and non judgmental. Victoria knows what millennial life is really like and where we can get.
Speaker 2: Stuck with money stuff.
Speaker 1: You're gonna want to get your notepads and pens all your phones out for this episode because she has shared a whole lot of wisdom and tips with us, and stick around to the end because she has given us all I think one of the most slay life hacks I have heard in a very long time.
Speaker 2: Victoria, Welcome to Big Business.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. I'm really excited about this chat.
Speaker 1: I feel like we've taken terms because I came on your podcast a couple of weeks ago, but you weren't there.
Speaker 3: No, which is kind of funny, but like, thank you for being my maternity leaves cover. I feel like we picked really, really well. When we sat down my team a l V like, if you're going away, we could you know, have guest hosts And I was like, oh, that would be really fun, and they were like, write a list of who you'd want, and you were like, very close to the top, and I kind of did a little squeal when you said yes, because I was like, she actually said yes. How cool is that boys say yes?
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: And I had such a great time chatting with your team. And if any of you listening haven't heard that, feel free to go over after this. After you finished this episode, of course, head on over to She's on the Money and listen to my episode. I had a great time talking with your team. We could have chatted for hours.
Speaker 3: I'm biased, but my team are great. I mean, I was a little bit worried that i'd come back and then realized that they didn't need me on the show anymore.
Speaker 2: We've got this, We're fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, I mean, I'm grateful that they've welcomed me back with open arms, but good. I did love the guest series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had such a blast. I'll have to come back on another time with you though, if any time.
Speaker 3: We are definitely revamping our business by episodes, and I feel like you and I are probably on the same page when it comes to business, hence me being on your business show. Yeah. So, I'm excited to have this chat. Feel like it will go really well.
Speaker 2: Oh awesome, well, let's just get straight into it.
Speaker 1: I thought I could start out by asking you a simple question, what motivated you to start She's on the Money podcast and the community.
Speaker 3: I want to say that it was like this massive lack of financial literacy and I could see it, and you know, it was palpable, but it was a little bit selfish. Historically, I have gotten myself into a massive amount of debt, so like from a personal perspective, and this is you know, common knowledge. I got into just over thirty five thousand dollars worth of personal debt when I was really young, and so I started learning about finance and trying to get myself out of that. And I guess She's on the Money is a culmination of all of that, not knowing where to go, having really bad experiences with males in the industry, being overlooked when it came to being and seriously, when I was like, oh, I want to learn about investing in people, being like, oh, you're a girl, what would you know? So I just it was a lot of things that kind of came together for me to create She's on the Money. And yes, a lack of financial literacy was absolutely the driving motivator, but I didn't know it at the time. I feel like when you talk to lots of people, they're not like, oh, I had this really great, really clean business idea and it just worked. I didn't know that She's on the Money would become a business. Like at the time, I was running my financial advice business and She's on the Money was this like love project on the side that I was like, Oh, if I invest a little bit of money, I don't expect it to come back, but I expect to have a good time doing it. And so it was a beautiful experience pulling it all together. And it definitely comes from a lack of financial literacy in Australia and me seeing that gap. But I guess in hindsight it's a lot clearer than what it was at the time. At the time, I was like, I want to put out content that I would want to experience, and I guess that's where we ended.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love that.
Speaker 1: I think what you're doing is so importan because I totally agree that there isn't enough out there, especially for women when it comes to understanding their finances. And I even say to this day, like my partner aj he does a lot of the finance side of our business, and sometimes people ask me questions, you know, people in our workplace.
Speaker 2: I'm like, ohkay j I don't freaking know how any of that works.
Speaker 1: So I feel like I am even going to take a lot away from this episode with you. And I love that you mentioned that, you know, when you started Cheese on the Money, it was just this little side thing that you didn't really think that much about, and now you've got this, you know, booming business and community. And this is something that I always talk about here on big businesses. When you start a business, it doesn't have to be this fantastic, amazing, big grand plan idea. It can be something quite small that you think not that much of and it very well may just turn into a big business pun intended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally, I didn't think it would make money. And I mean, if we go back five years podcasting, like, what is that like, it wasn't really a thing, the idea that even you know, radio networks would pick you up. No, that was insane at the time, Like I couldn't foresee what this industry would become when it comes to podcasting and content creation. But I'm just I'm glad that I was there from the beginning because I don't know if it would work today.
Speaker 2: I love it. Well, I guess.
Speaker 1: To kick things off, I'm going to ask you the question, why is financial planning so important when it comes to starting a business?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it's it's like the foundations of what you're going to create, right, And I feel like so many of us, especially when we get into business, we're a little bit creative. We are really passionate about our ideas, and we want to focus on the output, not necessarily those like foundational steps, like no one that I know, and perhaps I need a different group of friends who knows. No one that I know that has a business has actually had a really solid business plan from the start. Like they don't sit down and go to the government website and download the business plan and ride out their formal documentation. And they also don't do the same stuff when it comes to financial planning either. You kind of just wing it. And a lot of small business owners start their business by using their personal accounts, and you know, going, oh, well, you know, I don't know if this will be a thing. You might, you know, start really small, and you're like, oh, it's fifty bucks here and there, like, Oh, I'm just going to sign up for a website. Oh, I haven't started my business accounts. I'm just going to fund it personally, and it just becomes really messy. So it's really important to start really cleanly. And I do feel like if you're going to start a business, one of the best ways to back yourself is to go, you know what, I am going to get a business banking account. I am going to separate this. I am going to care about tax from the start because albeit not sexy, like I'm trying so hard to make it sexy, like that's what she's on the money is about, but it's not sexy at the end of the day. But it's those foundations that you need to have a successful business long term, and finance is the thing that becomes the stumbling block to get from small business to big business. So I feel like if we start cleanly at the start, it doesn't mean you need to go pay for lots of financial advice and you're not paying thousands of dollars to an advisor, but you are going, all right, well, what does my financial planning look like? Am I going to get a business account. Don't get me wrong. You might have absolutely no cash because the business isn't making anything. But what that does is it means you can transfer personally still over to your business, but you can keep track of that money and pay it back to yourself, but also have a really clean outline of what that business is costing you, what are the incomings and outgoings for this business, so everything is just super clean from the beginning. Because that's going to make your life so much easier. But it's also going to make life easier when it comes to scaling. It's going to make life easier when it comes to making big business decisions because even if you don't have fancy accounting software, you can go, well, can I afford to make this decision? Like what would adding another product to our business actually look like? And you've got all the numbers in front of you, instead of going, oh, I need to sort through that. Oh there's a whole heap of vopber eats charges on this credit card as well as oh, yeah, I did pay you know that subscription to my website, and I did pay that subscription to you know, internet security or whatever it is. But like they become messy and messy is not good when it comes to trying to make a successful business.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I absolutely love that, and I think it's so true what you said. When someone is starting out a business, you are feeling really creative and passionate, and you're like, yeah, I want to do this, like you get that idea in your head, but it is so important to do all that unsexy stuff at the beginning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, oh, I don't want to set up not in a register, my aba. Yeah. All like even as when we like open a new store, like we'll make a new bank account for that store so that we can keep all the stores funds separate. And we're opening a new store, like we're in the process now and I'm like, oh, I got to go to the bank and set up the new bank account.
Speaker 2: It's just those things.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the bigger you get as a business, the more administration you have to do. Yes, And it's so annoying because you want to delegate it out as well, but like the business owner has.
Speaker 2: To do I know.
Speaker 1: I you go to the bank and I'm like, can't age I go like, you know, somebody who cares more about this do this for me, Yeah, but it is so important. I really want to stress to all of you entrepreneurs out there or new business owners, you really do need to get your finances in order. You're going to set yourself up for success in the future. As boring and annoying as it is in all the numbers, like you said, it is that foundation for your business.
Speaker 3: And if you're backing your business right, like if you are from the very get go going, I'm going to set up a business account, I'm going to get my ABN in order, I'm going to have a think about the structure. All these things are so unsexy, but what they're telling you internally is this is serious. This is actually legitimate. This is me going. No, I have every belief that this business is going to be successful. Whereas if you're just it with your personal bank accounts, you're kind of not backing the business in the way that it deserves to be backed to be successful because you're like, oh, it might not work out, Like I don't want to bother with that, Like that's not the mentality we want to have. No, you want to take it seriously from the get go, exactly serious business, ladies.
Speaker 2: We are absolutely well.
Speaker 1: This leads me on to my next question, which I have been asked a lot, and I feel like it's a really tricky one to answer it. Maybe with your financial literacy you might be able to give a better answer, but in your opinion, and I know it depends on the business, but how much do you think that entrepreneurs should save up before starting any business?
Speaker 3: So again, it's exactly what you said, it's a really good.
Speaker 2: Are you making ribbons at home or are you're opening a cafe?
Speaker 3: Like obviously it's going to be different, Like I can't say four dollars and I can't give you a certain amount, But what I would do is go back to the drawing board, Like, let's look at your lifestyle. Like, Britt, you don't have kids, so the amount that you need is probably very different to the amount that I would need if I was starting from scratch today, because if you look at my lifestyle, you go, well, Victoria, you have a husband, you have a mortgage, you have a child. That's a lot of responsibility. So for me to take that step and you know, be an entrepreneur and step out and back myself in business, I feel like I need a lot more of a safety net than someone who's like whatever, it's all good. Like I could be a young twenty two year old single female who has absolutely no dependence and I get to live at home. So the amount that you need to save up to start a business is going to be very different. One thing that I say to a lot of business owners is you can actually do so much research for free before you even spend a dollar. So go and do the research. Like, let's just be really basic about this. You're going to start a product based business and you're not making the product yourself. You're going to get a manufacturer in China to do it right, So you can go and do the research of what's it going to cost to establish your website, what's it going to cost you to potentially start social media, how's that going to work? And these are fickle things because you might be a wizard at social media on your own, or you might really suck at it and need a whole heap of budget behind paying someone to help you with that. So the amount that you need to save is different. You can reach out to manufacturers overseas and see what their costs are going to be. You can work out what a product is going to cost you to import. You can do all this research and create a beautiful spreadsheet, but then on the flip side, I need you to look at your living expenses and go, all right, well, if I'm going to start putting my all into this business that's not making any profit yet, how many savings do I need to the side. And that's where the difference between a twenty two year old single female and then Victoria in a thirties with a kid and a mortgage is going to come into it, because you could be living at home and your mum and dad are like, oh my gosh, slag queen, we'll look after and we'll look after you go live your best life. Whereas me, I'm like, okay, well I would need to save enough to you know, kick this off for you know, six months, Like how long do I think it's going to take until this business creates enough profit for me to cover myself? So that amount is going to be very different based on personal circumstances. But I guess the answer there is do a budget, have a look at what your expenses are going to be. For me, like I own a mortgage broking company, right, so profit in my business actually takes a long time to come through, so lots of people don't know this, But from the day that my client settles, it's like three months before I get paid from the banks. So that needs to be taken into consideration. Whereas you know, I might have an online course and I actually get the money in my account every time a client makes a transaction, So those things need to be considered. Do I need a three month buffer? Do I need a six month buffer? Do I need to be planning to pay my expenses for twelve months while this starts off? Or am I planning on working part time while building a business on the side.
Speaker 2: So many factors exactly? So many?
Speaker 3: Am I saving a certain amount? Well, no, it would actually be wildly irresponsible of us to be like, actually the answer twenty thousand dollars, because that might not be what your business needs and it might not be what your lifestyle needs. So I would go back, do a budget for yourself and what that looks like. Do a budget for your business and what that's gonna look like, and then go from there. Solid advice I try.
Speaker 1: I hope everyone's taking notes, and I think it's also tricky for some people that are stepping into business or they have this entrepreneurial fire because you do see things online and it's one in a million that this would happen. But you do see things where people say I started my business with two hundred dollars, and you know, it can be entitle it can allude to the fact that all you need is two hundred dollars and nothing else. But like what you've said, there's so many other factors that come into play. And some people have gotten really lucky and just started with two hundred bucks and a small thing that's turned into a billion dollar company. But how often is that going to happen?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: And also like what's the narrative there, Like what's their privilege behind that? Because I could say that, right, So I could come out and this is why I hate click baity titles. I could come out and be like brit I started my you know, seven figure podcast, she's on the money with a two hundred dollars microphone and a moving blanket. That's absolutely true, Like none of that is a lie. But I actually owned a financial advice company that was making profit, and I was using that profit to start my podcasting business and pay for production and pay for all of this other stuff. Is the fact that I had a two hundred dollar mic legitimate? Yeah, of course it is, And I mean that makes a really good story. But is it the reality of this situation? And I guess there's just so much that comes into it when reading into other people's stories. Where I value transparency, but I also think that we need to put our blinkers on a little bit and not look at other people's journeys as an indicator for what success looks like. See it and be like, well, if she can, I can do something too. Be inspired, Yeah, be inspired, but don't be Yeah, don't think that that's going to be your trajectory.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: That's another thing that I always talk about on this podcast is and I say to people, you know, if you're in the start of your business journey, don't look at me and where I am now and be like, oh, like and make that comparison, especially now where we're living in this world where there are obviously so many established entrepreneurs and businesses online, we have so much to look at. It would be tough starting today, like looking and comparing. But what people don't see is all the shit at.
Speaker 3: The start, Oh my gosh, yes, and like I'm so embarrassed of so much that I got out historically. Absolutely, Oh it's awful. Like sometimes I'm like to my team, should we delete that? Should we just get rid of it that.
Speaker 2: They're like, video is embarrassing archive?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and they're like, no v it still gets good views, and I'm like, yeah, that's the problem.
Speaker 1: What would you say are some common financial mistakes that new business owners make not.
Speaker 3: Setting themselves up from this when it comes to having that clean banking system. So when I talk about clean banking systems, I'm not just talking about having one bank account for your business. I don't know how you do it. I've got opinions that we need multiple bank accounts. And the reason we need a multiple bank accounts is because I never want anyone to be stiff with like tax or you know, having to pay salary. So I am very much a buckets lady. I like having all my income going into one and then I take income out and put it into my tax bucket, knowing that when my bass is coming up, I need to pay that every month. And then when you know, other expenses come up. I've even got an emergency fund for my business because I'm like, well, what would happen, Yeah, if I, you know, for some reason, didn't get paid for a long period of time. I don't know why that would happen, but if it did, I know that I have three months worth of expenses so that I can cover my team's salary, and that makes me feel really safe. So I feel like not setting yourself up properly from the start and not doing enough research into what things is it going to cost you? Business is mind blowingly expensive, Like it just adds up, and I feel like so many people go, oh, it's not that expensive, and I'm like I sometimes and just shocked at how much I spend on things, oh like whether that is you know, staff wages and how they add up in addition to like super and tax. And that's not me complaining, Like I am not complaining about this. I am so privileged to be able to pay all of this. Then I've got, you know, all the insurances I need to pay for my business, which I think lots of people forget to put into the budget. I pay thousands of dollars in insurance. I feel you then you've got rent, and I feel like so many people are like, oh cool, it's listed. I don't know a shop's like fifty thousand dollars. What's your fit out going to be? What are the insurances on that shop? What are the ongoing costs? Because when you rent a shop, you're taking over every single expense. It's not like renting a house and you know if it's shared water, your landlord's got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got the going, You've got commercial real estate, all.
Speaker 3: Of the outgoings, and now your responsibility. Like, there are so many I want to say hidden expenses. Oh they're not that hidden, like everyone quote knows about them, but I feel like they were hidden to me. So there are so many. What are those other expenses that we're going to incur? And then all of the stuff along the way, Like I know that we've got a content shoot coming up, and you would think that that's just like easy, right, you hire a photographer, Okay, but what about the location. I need to pay for a location that's going to allow me to film there and use those videos for commercial purposes. I need a hair and makeup artist. I need, you know, the lighting guy that's separate from the photographer. Oh my gosh, my photographer doesn't do video. I need the separate video person to get the behind the scenes content, Like there's just so many moving parts that you go, oh, I thought it was about just taking some photos and whacking them online. Like, don't get me wrong, there are definitely cheaper ways to do things. But business is expensive, which means you need to be looking at the bottom line of your business from the start, Like I think consistently thinking about, well, what will the outcome of this product be, Like can I feasibly sell it for fifty dollars or does it actually need to be one hundred dollars to be a feasible long term business? And I think so many times we forget to look at what it's going to cost us, and we just benchmark ourselves on what our competitors are doing or what we think in our heads these things should cost instead of like, oh, to make this viable, it actually sits here. So I think doing the research from the start and making sure that you're covering all of those bases for me would be the big thing. And it can be overwhelming, but it actually doesn't need to be Like open an Excel spreadsheet. You don't even need to be good at spreadsheets, there are little boxes. You can put words in those boxes and start putting words down one side, and then how much each of those things is going to cost you down the other side, so you can keep track of it, Like it's all the small things that add up.
Speaker 1: Do you think as well on this this is the part of business that maybe deters people or stops them. Is they want to own a business and they love the creative side and they're passionate about whatever the business is. But then when it comes down to crunching those numbers and all the back end part of it, do you think that's where people kind of get put off a little bit and that maybe maybe that's why they push that stuff to the side, which then down the track winds them up in financial stress.
Speaker 3: I guess yes, because at the end of the day, sometimes the perfect person to run a business is not the perfect person to be the front of the business or the creative behind it, and that can be a really hard I guess realization to come to. Like the amount of people that I've met who are like, oh, I just I can't seem to make the business work, and it's like, well, are you sitting down and thinking about strategy. You know, how much research are you doing into this expansion? What are you looking at when it comes to you know, your financials. Are you sitting down every month and looking at them? They're like, no, I hate that stuff, and it's well, you might hate it, I might not enjoy it, but these are necessary so that you can be creative, so that you can, you know, consistently have all of the good times. Like business sadly is good and bad, like there are things that you aren't gonna like. And I often say business gets harder the bigger it is because the responsibility becomes more and I feel like the more senior, I don't know if the word senior is right here, but like the higher up we get, the bigger my business becomes, the more meaning all my tasks, like I'm the one having to like, you know, do the banking, going to the post offfice.
Speaker 2: Like I'm trying to take it frosh.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so annoying. But I'm the only one that can pick up the parcels because my name's on it, my driver's license and like you think you can send your assistant and you just can't. For a lot of things.
Speaker 2: You've got to take your passport.
Speaker 1: Like sometimes I've gone to the bank to do something like set up a new bank account, and I've got my license and my cards, but oh, we need another form of ID and I'm like, I don't carry my passport around.
Speaker 2: Then I've got to go is this whole thing?
Speaker 3: Literally me the other way, I'm at the bank and they're like, okay, so which account is it? And I'm like, I don't mean to be rude, but I have a lot of accounts, babe. Like they're like, what what does the number? Like what's the ending for numbers of this? Am I meant to know this off the top of my head. And I was like, can I look it up? And she's like, oh yeah, And like, don't get me wrong, these are the small things that are a privileged to do because you're big. But like I think they're the things that the bigger you get, the more you're gonna have to do these things. So if you're not willing to do them from the start, I promise that setting yourself up for failure. Like you need to carve time out to be working on the business. And when people say, oh, you're working on the business, Like I think that that sounds so romantic to me. I'm like, oh, you're thinking about growth, You're working on the business. You're doing some marketing and branding. Oh so chic, when the reality is like, I'm working on the business so the business can still stand, babe. Like I'm in the background, going, actually, do I need to review all this subscriptions in the business to make sure that I'm not, you know, frittering all.
Speaker 1: We've got all We've got all our work phones, and you know how easily you download and subscribe to apps on your phone, So we're we've got like six work phones in the office at all times, and they've all got different sorts of apps, editing apps, all this and that, and every now and then, I'm like, girls, let's go through the subscriptions in like the Apples hundred ID because you you don't realize how many you're subscribed to.
Speaker 3: The drive here. This is. I don't know how relevant it is. I just think it's really funny. The Drive here. I was on the phone to my assistant who was helping me do the reconciliation for my AMEX, and she's like one hundred and nine dollars ninety nine to Apple what's that. I'm like, I don't know. Yeah, Like I've got no clue, and we're going through these charges and I'm like, did I do that? I could have? Like what's it for? And like these things just come out of nowhere. So I feel like, if you're not willing to do the small things, yes, you might be the most gifted human being when it comes to being creative, and you might be the best designer, you might be the best everything. But it's a compromise you're gonna have to make to be able to shine in that space as well. Because you know, even if you like, let's say you're an artist and you want to sell your paintings, Like, the bigger you get, the more admin you're gonna have to do, the more you're gonna have to think about shipping costs. You're gonna have to think about packaging, how to get your items overseas. If overseas buyers start to pick up your work, Like, these things are not sexy, but they're necessary to be known for your craft. So I think that being happy to take that on from the beginning and seeing it as a responsibility of a being a business owner is essential. But it's not fun. Like, don't get me wrong, I don't want to reconcile my amex like I want the points. That's why we got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're so right.
Speaker 1: Like the bigger the business gets, the more of that admin shit happens. Like it never gets to a point where you can just kick back and it's easy and everything's in place. It's just like the more and more the bigger you get, the more admin justus piles on top and on top. But it's just one of those things that you just have to like do and embrace. And even though we want to be there amazing entrepreneurs and business owners and fun and creative, we've got to do all the nitty gritties no matter what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like my actual like if we did like an Instagram day in the life, like it would be.
Speaker 1: So boor sitting at the laptop typing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sitting at the laptop typing calling people being like, hey, do you do you know how to spell this? Like it's not it's not coming up in the system when I look it up. Oh no, okay, Hey, So there was this charge of my amex forty seven dogs? Can anybody remember that?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 3: Fact? Have you got a receipt for that. I'll call Maddie.
Speaker 2: I'll ask her for that back to bank accounts.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think a good question to ask you is why is it important to keep your personal and business finances separate? And I think a lot of business owners in the start, I know me, when I became an influencer and I was essentially my own business, I didn't I didn't set it up correctly. In the start, I was just me with my person bank account, and I was doing all these brand deals and it.
Speaker 2: Was all going into Wow, people are paying me.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was insane.
Speaker 1: It's all going into my personal account. And I didn't know. I was none the wiser. I should have known about you. But this was forever and ever an ever ago.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, I was a nothing. Yeah, it's not like I was just watching your content, babe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm making these YouTube videos getting paid straight into my personal bank account. I didn't even have an ABN or anything like that because I didn't have any.
Speaker 2: Idea about this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So why is it important that people separate the two their business and their personal.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of reasons, and we'll quickly go through them. So the first is it's messy. So when tax time comes, separating oh, was that business income or that income you've already paid tax on, Was that, you know you spending on a business expense versus was it a personal expense? It just becomes so cloudy and messy. Whereas every day, if you have a debit card associated to your business account and it's in your wallet with your personal you can go all right, well coffee personal, but oh, you know, I'm going to office works, I'm just gonna pop this office works charge on my business card. Where so many times when I used to do this, I would just tap my card at office works and be like, whatever, I'll work it out later. Spoiler, I never worked it out later, and I was using post tax income to pay for business expenses that I shouldn't have been paying for with post tax income, right, Like, all of that is meant to be a business expense. So I'm shooting myself in the foot when it comes to the bottom line of my literal business and what profit I make and what loss I make. So I think mess is one reason. But then secondly, if it is really messy and you want to do stuff in the rest of your life, for example, you want to purchase your first home brick like, a bank wants to see usually at least twelve to twenty four months worth of clean business expenses and profit in your business, and if it's tied up with your personal stuff, they're like, oh nah, it's not legit. Well we don't want to Like, once you've separated that, come back and talk to us. It is a nightmare. So making sure that everything's clean is going to mean that the rest of your life can keep going on. If you want to purchase property, if you want to get loans, if you want to, you know, make a business loan, the bank is going to want to see all of your business accounts and make them really clean. They don't care about your uber eats like they don't want to see that, not want restatements and go oh well, bar, is that a business expense? And you go, oh no, that wasn't business, that was actually personal and they go okay, great, what about this one at the cafe fifty times in one day? Like they're gonna ask. And the reason that you want it to be clean is so one life can keep going on. But also your business accounts are really clean, like you're going to know if the business is in trouble sooner, if it's not messed up with your personal accounts. You're going to know if the business is successful sooner, if it's not messed up with your personal accounts. Like everything I promise is better once it's separate. Also the stress, Like do you know how good it is knowing that I can just go onto my online banking, download the excel file, send it to my accountant and be like, hey, that's all the business.
Speaker 2: There's all the statements. Yeah, that's the state. It's not mixed up. And then you don't have your accountant going what's this transaction?
Speaker 1: Is this personal? Is this business? It's so good to have them separate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And do you know how annoying it is now as somebody who does have it separate when I accidentally use the wrong card for something like we've got prefill online now, Like, so if I'm making an online purchase, sometimes it's pre Field and I'm like, yep, just yeah, and then it's my personal one. And then my bookkeepers coming back to me at the end of the month, they're like, what's this from fate? And I'm like, oh ah, sorry, can you just transfer that over and then you have to fully reconcile it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's important to do it from the get go. Is head those separate bank accounts, even if you are just starting a business, and much like when you started, she's on the money and when I started Fade and I thought, this is probably not going to be anything. I never thought into the future. It was just a fun little idea at the time. You never know what your business is going to turn into. So it's best to just cover all those grounds and just set yourself up for success from the beginning, even if you aren't sure where the business is going to go.
Speaker 3: But it's also even if you don't know where the business is going to go and maybe this is like a little bit like morbid and we should be really optimistic, it's so much easier to shut it down to if you decide that it's not for you. Having everything separately, you can just be like, all right, cut the line. We've done with that, Like I've decided to step out of it. It's not intertwined into your personal life, and for years later you're like, oh, actually, what's this. Oh actually, what's like we just don't want that, Like we want to make sure that we are caring about it. The other thing I want to say here is around the structure of that business. And I'm sure you've gone through this where it was in your personal accounts and you're like, well, yeah, and then things started to get serious and then you went to an accountant and they're like, oh my gosh, Britt, what are you doing that rating as an individual.
Speaker 1: That was me here, They're like, why haven't you set yourself up as a business company?
Speaker 3: Why don't you an opinion?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I was just me and then you need to be a PtyLtd.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what does this mean?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, like who is this?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 3: So I think understanding that from the start, and the reason accountants care so much about that is actually personal protection. It's you know, obviously, tax is sexier inside a company than it is if you're paying it at your marginal tax rate. So really quickly, if you're paying it at your marginal tax rate, you're being paid into your personal accounts, and you start making bank and you're at the highest marginal tax rate, you'll be paying tax at least forty seven cents in the dollar, which is not that sexy. Whereas the company rate is thirty cents, and like, I know which one I would prefer to pay. Obviously, it's going to be different when you distribute that income or take income out of the business to pay for your personal life, but that can come later. But at least you're making sure that your business income is maximized. Like that's a difference of at least seventeen percent, Like you are seventeen percent better off. Ye a lot of the time if you're you know that highest marginal tax bracket, putting yourself into a company for that, and it is expensive to set up up, but it pays for itself over time. It's also meaning that you know, nobody wants to get sued in business, but they can sue the company instead of you personally.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's taking yourself out, taking yourself out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I think that all of these things, while not sexy, are really important to talk about.
Speaker 2: You heard it here first, people.
Speaker 1: Not sexy stuff is actually really sexy and you need to care about it. Me, please do included all of us included. When it comes to someone starting a new business, I always get a lot of people saying, like what we spoke about earlier, how much money do I need to start a business? Do I need to take out a loan? Like I get these questions all the time. I'm like, don't ask me, like, I don't know what I'm talking about, But what are some common funding options for new businesses? And what would you say? Are there pros and cons? Are you all four people taking out loans?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Tell me it all.
Speaker 3: It depends and it's going to depend on the business. I don't think it's going to come as a surprise that I'm relatively anti debt, and I would actually prefer you, Britt, to take another six months of saving and start your business in six months, then get ahead six months by taking out a really big loan, because to me, the risk of that is that it's just not going to work out. Whereas if you came to me and said, hey, I've got this really brilliant opportunity, and you know someone selling a business tried, true tested, been around ten plus years, draws a profit, and I'm going to purchase this, That's a very different conversation than taking out a loan. To back yourself, and don't get me wrong, I think we all should back ourselves, but to back an idea. So backing an idea and taking out debt to me is very different taking out debt for purchasing a pre existing business, and those are different conversations. Am I against business debt? No, I've never had it personally. And the reason I haven't ever had it personally is because I just I don't want to owe a bank money for a business because I know that that's not something that if it's not working, I can sell it right. Whereas a mortgage. If I go and lend money from a bank to purchase the property, which I have done, I know that if my life goes to shit, I can sell that property, pay the bank back, and we're all clean and good and like in a perfect world we all break even. But you can't do that with a business loan. That's why the interest rate on them is so much higher because they're like, oh, there's a little bit of risk involved here because it's coming down to you having to put the work in. So I feel like avoiding debt as much as possible is a good idea. Funding options, there's lots. I think that it is silly of people to not look into business grants, like there are so many grants there are so many schemes, so many like accelerated programs out there now that I think everyone should be putting their hat into the ring for Like what's the worst they say, Oh, no, okay, no worries, thanks so much. At least I put my hand up for that ten thousand dollars grant. Imagine if I've gotten it, it would have been great. But I think so many times, especially as women, we don't put our hands up for opportunity because we go, oh, they're not going to pick me. Yeah, but what if they did? What if they did pick you? It would change the trajectory of your business. So I think just putting your hat in the ring and going I don't care if they say no, it was worth a crack. Like so many of the things that I've put my hand up for, I've been like, this is a bit of a joke, right, Like this is wild, Like I don't know why I'm bothering. Have come to fruition and I'm like, oh, holy, holy moly. Like I remember when I got nominated for the Telstra Women in Business Awards and like that was really cool, But that just means that someone had put my hat into the ring. And said, oh, they should be considered. Yeah, But I then had to do my application. I was like to my team, this is not worth it, like don't bother like you know, not going to do it. We made finals and I was like sorry, what, Like this is insane. So I think putting your hat in the ring is really important when it comes to funding it. You've got personal you've obviously got loans, and you've also got bringing on a business partner, and I think that you need to really consider what that actually means for you and your business, because that's a bigger decision than just like, oh, brit seems nice, we should do a business together.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of people do get into that in that way so easily. Like I can only imagine, not speaking from any experience, but when you are excited and creative and you've got this business idea and then you've got this friend or whatever and you're like, yeah, let's partner up and do this, that is a way bigger decision than you actually think in that moment.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. And I'm speaking from experience. I have done this and it has been a terrible idea. Yeah, Like don't get me wrong, In the heat of the moment, I think it's a great idea, and I go, this is going to be absolutely fantastic. But when it boils down, I am somebody who it's funny. My accountant actually said to me the other day, Victoria, if you come to me with another business partner not setting the structure up, it's not happening. You're not having another business going on it. We're not doing it. It's not a thing. You are not good at picking business partners. We're done. And I was like, okaying to worry, thank you, thank you. He's like, you need to back yourself more. Like so many times, I'm finding like now again, in retrospect, I look at it and go I picked that decision because I thought it would make my life easier. I thought it would make the business more successful. I didn't back myself enough to know that I could have done all of that on my own. It just would have taken a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I think we're impatient human beings as well.
Speaker 3: Adhd one hundred percent. I'm so impatient. It's not funny.
Speaker 1: We want things now, and especially if it's this fun, exciting idea, Yeah, let's do it. Let's take out a big loan or go into business with someone. But these are things and decisions that we need to make carefully and take our time with.
Speaker 2: So I'm with you on that.
Speaker 1: And as for myself in my business journey, I've been fortunate enough to not take out any loans or have any business partners. And I think from that, as much as I could have got an investor or had a business part now that maybe would have fast tracked us even quicker. There's something really personally satisfying about saying and knowing.
Speaker 2: I have done all of this on my own.
Speaker 3: This is all me.
Speaker 1: Like, I get a really big sense of self accomplishment and satisfaction going I founded this whole thing. It's all me, And I think that's really powerful.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, And I wish that I was in that situation because as somebody who has had like I've started my businesses and then taken on partners to hopefully turbocharge the businesses, it's actually cost me hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars because I have done that like mucho regretto, like terrible decision. And I think that talking about it is really important as well, because when it comes down to it. The reason I made those decisions was because I was like, oh, this will turbocharge it and get us ahead, and you know, be what I want. But ultimately it's not because they're not on the same page as me. We don't have the same ideas. We do want to go in different directions, whether that is content creation or it is you know, the size of the business or the ethics of the business. Like, it doesn't matter what it is, We're just not on the same page. Because the person who knows your business and what you want to create with it, the best person to know that is you. And you can't convince somebody else to love your business idea as much as you do. Yeah, and I think that that is really hard to wrap your head around. And yeah, there's something really satisfying knowing that you know, I started all of this. I've made a lot of very expensive mistakes along the way, and I'm happy to talk about them because I think that other people can learn from them. But you need to back yourself. And if backing yourself means it takes another year, like that's incredible, because the outcome of being able to say I did this all on my own is amazing. Knowing that I don't owe anybody any money for my business is so gratifying going to bed at night knowing that I don't have to turn a profit in my business to pay a bank Like, it's just so nice knowing that the success of my business is dependent on me or on somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. So to all of you listening, be patient, take your time back yourself. Don't jump into things because it's a great idea in the moment, which we've all done things like that throughout our our careers and business journeys. Is jumped the gun way too quickly because you're excited. And I guess the most important takeaway from this chat, Well, what I've gotten from it is how important it is to have your ducks in a row with all that nitty gritty not so sexy stuff, and like.
Speaker 3: Keep it to yourself for a while. Like, if you've got a really good business idea, sit on it, think about it, like you can ask your friends and family, but like set it up from the start. Go do your bank accounts, Go get your ABN set up, make sure that all of your ducks are in a row. The other thing I would say is make sure that you understand trademarking. Does somebody else have the same business name as you? Like, if you're going to grow, are you going to get into some hot water? And if you are, like, are we going to pivot and change the business name from the start so that we just don't need to go through that jung.
Speaker 1: That gets a lot of people stuck when oh, this business all of a sudden in this state over there has come after me because I've got a similar ish name to them or the same name as them.
Speaker 2: So it's important to do the research on that.
Speaker 3: And the bigger your business gets, the more prevalent issues like that are. You might think, oh, it doesn't matter, Like I'm going to start, you know, BRIT's shoe shop, and then there's a BRIT's shoe shop in you know, northern Queensland. But you didn't realize how big they were, and they're actually really big online, but you thought that they were little and you didn't think it mattered. Yeah, like, these little things matter. So I think making sure that you're dotting all your eyes and crossing all your te's and kind of keeping stuff internal. It's so hard when you're so excited, but making sure that you're putting yourself first and setting it up for success from the beginning is really good. I mean I suck at instant gratification, like I'm that kid with the marshmallows. Like you've seen that right where the kid gets offered a marshmallow and said, if you can watch that marshmallow for fifteen minutes, when I come back, you can have two. Yeah, but I've already eaten it, like I just can't. And I think that's what's hard about business because we are so passionate and want it right now, but we know that if we invest slowly and consistently over time, that's where real wealth comes from. And I mean I'm an ex financial advisor, so I know that. But I also really struggle with instant gratification. So I feel like that's where I connect with my audience because I'm like, I get it, babe. I suck it about it like I suck it with it too. But what we need to do is this, And like sometimes the thing that we need to do is it's not as fun, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: We need to be patient and take our time.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been so great to have you share your wisdom with us V. I've absolutely loved this chat and I feel like for those listening, they've probably gotten a lot out of it, So so.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for sharing.
Speaker 1: And at the end of my episodes, I always and with a tip of the week. It can be a business tip, it can be a life tip, it can be a life hack. I know I should have probably sent this to you before we record it.
Speaker 2: But do you listen to your show?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, you know, come on, you know I have a finance one perfect and I feel like, whether you're a business owner or not, this makes sense. So what you're going to do is go and purchase yourself a Visa gift card. And I know that that does it could be like five dollars, but you know what you're going to use that Visa gift card for. You're going to use that for all of your free trials and all of your subscriptions because you have to put in a credit card number to sign up for a Netflix trial or what and then how many times do we forget about our Netflix trial? Yeah, we are going to get Visa gift cards because not not normal gift cards, but Visa gift cards come with the credit card number in the CCV and the expiry so we can pop that in get our free trial and it not cost us a whole heap of money when we forget trials, and that can see in your wallet and you can use that because we're not going to actually spend the five bucks or ten bucks or whatever we've put on it. We're going to use it for our free trials to make sure that our credit card details are safe as well. So if there's ever like a website that you need to put your credit card details into too, right hack, that's what we're going to do. So it's like a finance one, but it's like keeping you safe. And I feel like that's worked for me a number of times. And whenever I tell friends, they're like, why didn't I think of this?
Speaker 2: And genius?
Speaker 3: I love that I get to take credit.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love that.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you so much again for joining us on Big Business.
Speaker 2: Tell us. Where can everyone find you?
Speaker 3: You can find me at She's on the Money AUS. You can find me at Victoria Underscore, Divine. On socials, all of my socials match, like whether that's Facebook, Pinterest, same same, like come hang out. I mean I'm not that interesting. But the she's on the money page is definitely where.
Speaker 1: You are so interesting. You're making unsexy things fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like, the content's not sexy, but it will put you in the best possible position.
Speaker 2: And that's what we love.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks again so much and thanks for having me. I'll see you again soon when I come back on your podcast.
Speaker 3: You no, I love this. We're gonna do it, absolutely