Speaker 1: Oh Gada, Welcome to healthy Ish. Thanks for joining us on the podcast from body and Soul. I hope you are feeling healthy ish. I am your host of Felicity Harley and joining me in the studio is our digital editor Holly Berkman, and we are chatting through the three hottest stories from our Health of the Nation survey. Yes, the stats, the subjects, and a few more worrying topics that we want to share with you this week.
Speaker 2: Holly, Hello, Hi, how are you?
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming back on healthy Ish.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me back. Now, how's your well?
Speaker 1: Are you healthy ish?
Speaker 2: How's your I'm healthy ish. I think I have been hitting that dance bean salad for last year a lot. Still, you know, I was crazy about it and it's slotted right back into my life. Coming back into the office. It's so good. It's so good. Still. I'm getting back into the polates after a bit of a Christmas break. Stomach muscles are hurting from five days ago, but I think that's a good thing. How about you? Yeah, I've been well. I'm back on the running train. I actually went last night in so hot it was like twenty nine degrees in Sydney at six point thirty. It was really muggy, really hot, and I just thought have to, like, I have to just get in the runs now because this half marathon loves women's hukey half marathon is looming.
Speaker 1: And it was.
Speaker 2: Awful, Yeah, horrible, yuck, like like I.
Speaker 1: Felt sick at one stage and it was about seven k's and I was going to stop, and I was like, I just keep on going, run really slowly, and my self talk got me through.
Speaker 2: That's good. That's better than my self talk. My self talk is usually like girl, this is horrendous. Oh don't take a break. What the hell are you doing to stop? Just walk? And I was like, no, no, but you did it going And boy, do you feel good today?
Speaker 1: I do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They hydrated or fine, that's a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, The big thing in a Body and Soul HQ this week has been the launch of the Health of the Nation survey.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's our second year of Health of the Nation. We're back, We're bigger and better than ever, and it's exciting. I think there's been some really great insights out of the report.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so sha share with the's something that you found well interesting, something's been trending give us the stats.
Speaker 2: So my pick for this one. It's not the lightest story, but I think it is really interesting and that's that more than half of Australians worry about their weight. It made me a little sad. I think, you know, I think misinformation and dieting culture is as we know, it's been a big thing over the last I don't know, I guess since social media really boomed, but diet culture has always been around and I think this stat really represents what that's doing to Australia, so that their weight is always on their mind, and that doesn't necessarily mean that that's translating to healthy practices either. Kick their health and fitness app who are partnering with us for Health of the Nation. So their co founder and CEO, Laura Henshaw provided some comments for this story, and she said that it's a combination of the constant comparison and unaccredited advice that floods social media, and once you're sucked into that diet culture algorithm, it's a very slippery slope to get out of. And we're seeing so many toxic trends on TikTok that are glamorized as wellness, but in many cases, it's just restrictive eating in disguise. And we've spoken about so many of those TikTok trends on here, which we eventually banned because they were too insane. But yeah, I think it's also just the fact that we're on our phone so much and there's so much time spent looking at ourselves and critiquing ourselves as well, that it feeds into this really toxic weight centric I find.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because similar numbers of people in Australia are obese and nowaight overweight. So on the one hand, we're worrying about our weight, many of us are obas and overweight. Where's the kind of middle point where we worry and still have to create healthy habits to get in that healthy weight range, but also live life and for it not to be overpowering and overbearing. Is every time we look at social media for.
Speaker 2: Example, exactly, it's about, you know, finding a way to live healthily, but it doesn't take over your life. Yeah. And Laura also says that the Butterfly Foundation released a study last year that found the rate of eating disorders in Australian's age between ten and nineteen has almost doubled in the last decade, terrifying at a rate of eighty six percent, which is actually it's really awful, really awful, So I think, you know, how do we combat that? I guess another one of the big stats out of health of the nation is that people are so unsure about health advice and what they should follow on what they shouldn't. So I think, you know, from my standpoint, it's about creating content and sharing content that's expert advised and trustworthy and really clear. But then it's also, I guess on a personal note, trying to curate your social media feed, so you're just seeing things that are helpful and not harmful and taking time away from it altogether.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, interesting, interesting stat. But I think all those comments of Laura were spot on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's great with that stuff, so is Steph. But it's yeah, it's sad to see that stat. Yeah, you know, knowledge is power.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and it's something that I'm very mindful of having a young daughter who's not nowhere near that demo yet, but just being aware of displaying positive body messages and body image measures and also habits around food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: The one that I found interesting was the amount we spend on fitness, and it's kind of got me thinking, is how much is too much to spend on fitness? So The Health of the Nation found that gen Z so those bab betwet ninety ninety five and twenty twelve, spend more money on keeping in shape than any other demographic. They spend on average one hundred and seventeen dollars a month. Interesting, yeah, so let's go up. So the millennials spend one hundred and sixteen ninety five, so five cents less less Gen X has spend ninety six twenty one, and baby boomers spend seventy one seventy four. So the oly you get, the less you're spent. They're also more likely to visit wellness retreats. Of the one in ten Australians who have done so, sixteen percent with gen zs. That's contrary to the fact that they're also the generation whose health and wellbeing is being most negatively affected by the cost of living. What do you spend on fitness?
Speaker 2: I was just thinking about this. I don't know if I think one hundred and seventeen a month is a huge amount. I don't think it's that's pretty low. Like, I'm pretty sure I spend about I have a class past membership which is about seventy dollars a month, but I do run out of the creditors, Yeah, do run out of credits. Is going to have to add more on so, but I don't know. I often also book into ad hoc classes and they're what like thirty five dollars apart, So I don't know, I'm probably getting around that one hundred and seven.
Speaker 1: Time with you, I thought like one hundred and sixteen is nothing like like.
Speaker 2: If you've got a good gym membership then often that can be eighty dollars a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's min one hundred and twenty dollars a fortnight?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I did a few sums and what my question was, what does fitness spending include? Like for me, it is the gym, it's yoga runners, gear like, it's it's kind of gear everything, isn't.
Speaker 2: It like you want to have shoving into it? Then well i'd probably.
Speaker 1: Spent what a three to four hundred dollars a month?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So but I mean for me, I say it's investment rather than spending, and it's about flipping that and there's really no cost of fitness, or there's as much as you want to spend.
Speaker 2: Right, healthy is wealth, as we have to remember.
Speaker 1: End the cost of not being physically active to your budget and your well being is significantly higher. So you spend our save later and you can go for a run for.
Speaker 2: Free, or that's what I was thinking, as well, as I do a lot of like walking and things like that, or going to the beach and go for a swim kind of which I guess is kind of fitness and like that's.
Speaker 1: Free really so, but perhaps we see it through the lens of you know, we are probably more fit and healthy than the general demographic. Yeah, so we would choose to spend more on that's true. I still don't know if I think one hundred and seventeen is a lot. Yeah, No, I don't know. I actually think no. That actually made me feel.
Speaker 2: Me feel fantastic actually too.
Speaker 1: Anyway, before we go, what's another thing that was perhaps trending on Body and Soul online something that Yeah, it came about from Health of the Nation.
Speaker 2: So this story is why sexual wellness is the hottest travel trend for twenty twenty five. So you mentioned in the last story that there's you know, gen Z going into wellness retreats and things like that. Sexual wellness is another trend that is really coming up in the world of travel, and I think this is great because it shows that our understanding and our idea of wellness and what it means to be well has expanded. It's not just about fitness, it's not just about eating well. It's also about sexual wellness, which is fantastic. And I think also it's that we're becoming a lot more comfortable with talking about or trying to improve our sexual wellness too. I know that there were a lot of improvements there during the pandemic and that seems to have carried on, so that's great.
Speaker 1: So what sort of sexual wellness holidays are people going on.
Speaker 2: Well. I think there are some sort of people book into like one day retreats where it might not be like you know, you might not be going to a resort, but it might be like a night away. I know they're running once like that in the Southern Highlands, or it might be checking in to somewhere that's a little more sex focused and learning to kind of increase your sex life, whether it's improve your sex life, whether that's with a partner. Increase as well, Please increase and improve, whether it's with a partner or I think, you know, part of it could just be like almost a self led sexual wellness holiday. It might be going away alone for a week or for a weekend and getting in touch with your own sexual wellness. So I think it's good.
Speaker 1: Just a little side note. I'm not a fiction reader, but my sister told me to read a book and it's called Awful Spy Miranda July. I don't know if you've heard of it.
Speaker 2: All fours Yes, I have seen this everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so I'm obviously nonfiction all the way. But this is very interesting because she checks into a hotel for two and a half weeks, I'm not going to give it away, meets this bloke and just goes on this like she just finds like her sexual self again and it's really enjoy Yeah, and it just taps into all into female psyche and you know, different things that happen when you reach a certain age, you know, after you have kids. But yeah, I was just thinking that, Yeah, you go check into hotel for two weeks.
Speaker 2: I think it's also yourself. Yeah, it's part of that rise of like reading, like romantic literature and things as well, I think is that people are tapping into it more and that's moving into their travel behaviors and spending too, which is great space.
Speaker 1: Yeah Holley, thank you, see you next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Bye, friends, fans, listeners. If you do want to read any of those stories about the trends, the surveys, the stats, I will leave a link to them in the show notes. Anything else, head to body andsoul dot com.
Speaker 2: That are you.
Speaker 1: You can join the conversation across social media. Can DM me at Felicity Harley, particularly on Instagram that's kind of my go to, and of course Grobaur print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper. Thanks again for joining us as always, and until tomorrow, stay healthy ish