Speaker 1: Lately, Welcome the Late Debate.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening and welcome to the Late Debate James Macpherson with Liz stra and Caleb Bond coming up tonight. If you've ever wondered whether we're sending our best into politics, we've got a video that proves conclusively we are not. We'll show you that a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, a Chinese fighter jet comes dangerously close to an r DOAAF plane. The Albanzy government has launched an official protest, and new data reveals just how few Australians are watching the ABC. Surprise, surprise. We'll talk about all of that when we get to tomorrow's news. But first I thought there was like a climate emergency. Haven't we been told there's a climate crisis? Haven't we been warned that we only have a few short years to save the planet. Didn't the Secretary General of the United Nations tell us we're on a highway to climate hell. And of course you'll remember in twenty twenty three said this, the era of global warming has ended.
Speaker 3: The eater of global boiling as arrived.
Speaker 2: So it's a climate catastrophe. We've got to do something now, which makes me wonder why out of one hundred and ninety five countries that signed the Paris Agreement, where they agreed to limit temperature rises to just one point five degrees above pre industrial levels to save the planet, do you know how many of those one hundred and ninety five countries submitted in time their emission reduction plan to say what they would do about those reductions by the year twenty thirty five. Those plans were due in on Monday. One hundred and ninety five countries have committed to this. Ten ten countries got their plans in. One hundred and eighty five out of one hundred ninety five countries that just a bit late haven't got around to it. You know, technical difficulties, some economic problem. It's coming. It's in the mail. A dog ate my homework. Ninety five percent of the countries that signed up to the Paris Agreement didn't bother getting in their latest report that they all promised they would on Monday. The thing that gets me about this is you and I are told we can't eat meat, We've got to eat bugs. We can't drive V eights anymore, we've got to drive these electric things, and on and on it goes to save the planet, and our politicians demanding all of this from us. They can't even get their reports on time, which begs the question how much do they even really believe this stuff? Of the ten countries that managed to submit their reports, the US got theirs in, but only because it was done while Joe Biden was still the president. But those that didn't. China, the biggest emitter in the world, they didn't bother submitting their report. India the third biggest emitter in the world, they didn't bother but caleble Liz. Guess what other country of those one hundred and eighty five countries it didn't bother. Guess another country on that list of reculcitrants who haven't quite got their homework in yet straight?
Speaker 1: Would it be one.
Speaker 2: Chris Bowen didn't get. Really, I thought.
Speaker 4: We would have been on top of this.
Speaker 5: I mean, the Uban easy government isn't on top of much else. But you would have thought, since we're bleeding out of very orifice to pay our energy bills in this nation at the moment, you would have thought Chris Bowen would be crossing the t's and dotting the eyes when it came to handing in his report card to the UN to say, look, how marvelously we're doing with regards to our Paris agreements. Like, now that the US has cooled out of this thing, it is such a waste of time. How are you collectively going to ensure that the temperature doesn't rise by two degrees instead of one point five degrees?
Speaker 4: How are you going to do that when the second biggest emitter in.
Speaker 5: The world has been like, you know what, We're not participating in this BS anymore.
Speaker 4: And not only have they pulled out of the Paris.
Speaker 5: Agreement, but Trump is absolutely delivering on his drill baby, drill promise. Oh yeah, the war on coal fired power in America is over. Gas, It's over. Trump loves fossil fuels. And we'll get to more from his US Energy secretary Al Gore's worst nightmare in a bit. But when you have the biggest military mit on the face of the planet, the head honcho of the Western world say, we're not playing this game anymore.
Speaker 4: We don't give a toss.
Speaker 5: And not only are we withdrawing, we are putting pedal to the metal with regards to fossil fuel production.
Speaker 4: In this country.
Speaker 5: All we care about is cheap energy, No wonder, one hundred and eighty five countries are just like you know what, sodd Nothing we can do is going to make up for that anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason we're bleeding out of every orifice, as you say, is because Chris Bowen has rogered is so hard with his pursuit of renewable energy. He's been on top of something. It's just not getting this report in. They don't call him Casanova Bowen for nothing. I've got to go off on a slow because you mentioned V eight cars before, and I was sitting here having a little moment, and I'm sure Paul Murray, if he is watching, will be having exactly the same moment. Nobody makes V eight cars anymore. You can the only VA cars you can buy a second hand. No one makes them, not even Toyota, which used to put vates in their land cruisers for grunts, not for speed, but even they have yanked vates off the market, which.
Speaker 2: Is in the city today. And this guy went past in his V eight Commodore, a classic vehicle from boys.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: I mean, an electric vehicle comes up behind you, it would hit you before you even knew it was there.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I think that's part of the point, isn't it, Because of course, you know, too many people on the face of the planets what's causing all this travel, So the evs will just depopulate a little bit. I think that's all part of the deal. But it shows what a joke this whole thing is. I mean, the climate chief at the un Simon Steele, said that this was the most important policy document of this century. Wow, and only ten of one hundred and ninety five actually bothered to get it in. That's how important they clearly think it is. Or more to the point, it proves that no one has obeyed the rules that they themselves set down. And this is the problem with the Paris Accord. I mean, you know, we go, oh, well, we couldn't possibly pull out of it, because you know, we've got to do the right thing by the world. But clearly the rest of the world is not doing the right thing by itself. So why would we be foolish enough to go along with this when clearly no one else is going along with it. It's not worth the paper it's written on. And of course when you're part of the Paris Agreement, you can't revise your targets down. You're only allowed to your targets up. But again, what does it matter. Because we've got the targets, we know we're not going to meet them exactly. Everyone in the energy sector has known that we're not going to meet our zero targets for twenty thirty So it's certainly not going to meet the targets for twenty thirty five, and clearly no other country thinks they can as well. While we're talking about matters of the environment, littering now that this is one that I really hate because I think of all the things you could do to actually help save the environment, not littering is one of them. And apart from that, it just doesn't look good. I mean, you walk around, you see crap strewn all over the footpath. It just doesn't look good. Put your stuff in the bin. We should go Singapore style on people. I think it start caning their hands until they bleed if they're caught littering. But no, I think it needs to be done. I'm all on board with it. If it means a more beautiful Australia, then I'm all on board with it. Of course, a more beautiful Australia is what to keep Australia beautiful and clean Up Ustralia have been saying four years now and every year they do an audit to the litter that they have picked up over the year previous. Well, they've gone through all this litter and funnily enough, they found a marked increase in litter being vapes, right, these single use vapes which you can walk into a convenience store and bat which seems very odd because I thought the federal government banned them. I mean January the first last year there was an importation ban on these vapes and then from July the first there was a full on ban on them being sold all together. And yet they have found a one hundred and forty percent increase in these things being littered and not only does it look bad, clean Up Australia says these are literally the worst things for the environment possible. This is their chair Pip Kanan. She says, we call them the triple threat to the environment because they're plastic waste, they're e waste because they've got a battery in them, a lithium battery. And we know what's been going on with those blowing up left right and center, and mere handardous waste because of the toxins in the liquid. They don't belong in the environment. They also don't belong in the curb side bin. But isn't it funny to these things which were banned and we were told that would be the end of it, all fixed, no one would be vaping anymore. Strike me pink. The government banning it hasn't worked.
Speaker 4: What a fool. I'm even hiding it though.
Speaker 5: You can barely walk down the street without a grown man blowing a cloud of blueberry mango in your face and you're innocently walking along like that came out of your lungs. Foul by the way, real men's smoke. Okay, none of this vaping nonsense.
Speaker 4: Get a life. But it's just out in the open.
Speaker 5: I was behind someone in traffic the other day and for a second I thought their.
Speaker 4: Car was on the fire. It's just billows coming out of the side and I'm like, God, Lord, what's happening.
Speaker 5: No old mates just sitting in the front having I'm massive chure off one is vape if it's so banned now, I mean, there's no way the police actually believe that all of these are the prescription veves.
Speaker 4: Let's do ourselves a favor. These people are just taking the mick.
Speaker 2: That there is a problem here, and that is that the clean Up Australia data was from the financial year twenty twenty three to twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Four, which does take in when the band came.
Speaker 2: Now, didn't you take in on the first of July, But the.
Speaker 1: Importation ban came on the first of January, right, so effectively the supply should have been cut off from the start of the year.
Speaker 2: Clearly it wasn't right, and then from the middle of last year then you had to go to a pharmacist with a prescription. On that point you have to go to that.
Speaker 1: You don't have to go to that.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I asked my son about this today. I said, like, if you want to get a vape, where would you get it? And he laughed at me like I'm an idiot. He said, from any convenience.
Speaker 4: Extraly sandy Tobacca?
Speaker 2: That illegal? He said, no, you just go and ask and they've got them behind the counter. I said, do they ask about your age or anything like that? Because he looks reasonably young. Said no, he swears his friends have never been.
Speaker 5: Asked, oh, told me that you don't.
Speaker 2: Care a friend of a friend of a cousin.
Speaker 6: He knows the iron, right, is that the younger generation is supposed to be really concerned about the environment, right, and yet it seems they are the ones leaving vapes everywhere.
Speaker 2: And of course government's are taxing the snot out of cigarettes, but that's just driven everyone to vapes, which are less healthy for you and worse for the environment.
Speaker 1: But they've been so stupid as to think that by banning them it will fix the issue, right. I mean, prohibition worked really well when it came to alcohol, doesn't it. It's so hard to take a product that already exists in the market and then say, well, this is going to be gonsky. And we know that vaping is far less bad for you than smoking is. In the UK, the NHS actually gives vapes out for free to people who want to quit smoking. Is it is much better for you, And yet the government says it's pertly okay to go down to the supermarket and buy a packet of fags over the counter, you know, apart from the fact that the sort of hidden so you can't see the front of the packet, but everyone knows you can buy them legally at the supermarket, but it is literally illegal to buy the product that is much safer for you, that might stop you from smoking. I mean, yeah, it's all about health though, isn't it. Please?
Speaker 5: Of course it is to America now, where, like I said, the war on coal powered gas coal rather is over.
Speaker 4: In Trump's America.
Speaker 5: His secretary of Energy, his name is Chris Right, is Algare's worst nightmare. What we are seeing under the Trump administration is him delivering on his promise to drill, baby, drill. This administration only cares about affordable.
Speaker 4: Reliable energy.
Speaker 5: Here's Chris Right saying, Coal's going nowhere, baby.
Speaker 1: The call has.
Speaker 7: Been essential to the United States his energy system for over one hundred years. It's been the largest source of global electricity for nearly one hundred years, and it will be for.
Speaker 2: Decades to come.
Speaker 7: So we need to be realistic about that now with coal, are we going to see a renaissance in surging coal production in the United States? Not likely, But we're on a path to continually shrink the electricity we generate from coal. That's made electricity more expensive in our grid less stable. So I think the best we can hope for in the short term is to stop the closure of coal power plants.
Speaker 4: No one has won by that action.
Speaker 5: Mister wrid has announced that coal will remain the backbone of America's reindustrialization. It's going absolutely nowhere. He even said that some of the plants that have been shot down will be reopened. Up to a quarter of US coal fired power station are due to be retired by twenty forty well not anymore, of course. This is a massive backflip from all the green policies that the Biden Harris administration pushed four years, which really trottled the American economy and really limited America's companies.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 5: What do you need if you want to be a manufacturer, You need power, cheap, reliable power, and lots of it.
Speaker 4: Well, says Chris Wright.
Speaker 5: Reliable energy is the goal, and that's what we're delivering on.
Speaker 7: The goal is just affordable, reliable, secure energy from wherever that comes from. Obviously there's going to be roles in the long run for solar energy. There's places where it makes tons of sense, where where the natural resources are there and the infrastructure is benefited by adding.
Speaker 2: More solar to the grid.
Speaker 4: But I will say one.
Speaker 7: Thing for sure, We're not going to go down the road of Germany. You know, they spend half a trillion dollars. They more than doubled their price of electricity. They actually shrunk the total amount of electricity the country produces by about twenty percent, and their industry is fleeing the country. That's the path the United States was starting to go down.
Speaker 4: But that's the wrong path. Thank god for this one eighty.
Speaker 5: Hey, these guys are promising to do the exact opposite of the Biden Harris administration, even going so far as to say all that climate fear mongering, climate change, global boiling nonsense.
Speaker 4: Do your research. None of it's true.
Speaker 7: When you hear crazy stuff today, check it out.
Speaker 4: Dig a little deeper.
Speaker 7: Hurricanes are not growing, that's in the IPCC report. Tornadoes are actually on the decline. Floods, droughts, all of these things you hear ceaselessly, they just simply aren't so.
Speaker 1: It isn't even controversial that they're not so.
Speaker 7: But media politicians just continually abuse these facts.
Speaker 5: What you wouldn't do to hear an ossie politician, much less our energy secretary.
Speaker 4: Imagine if we had a Chris.
Speaker 5: Bowen figure literally spitting facts like this. That's what Trump's picked in Chris, right, this is the US Energy secretary. Can't wait to see what he does over the next four years. Meanwhile, we're still stuck with Chris Bone.
Speaker 1: We don't even have to change the Chris bit. It's just the Surley, just what Bowen for, right, And I think we're on a winner here phone him.
Speaker 2: I just keep having visions of remember Scott Morrison walking into Parliament on that glorious day with a piece of coal, saying it's coal. It's not going to hurt you. How far we've fallen from those days. But I mean America, we're on track to close over the next five years one hundred and twenty coal fired power stations, and if they were going to commit to that course of course, it's very difficult doing that to then say we want to be the world's leader in AI, because AI consumes enormous amounts of power and they want to re establish a manufacturing base, which they've been outsourcing to China for all of these years. So you can't have both, right, You can't have world leading in AI and lots of manufacturing if you don't have cheap, reliable power. And so Trump's made the decision we want economic growth, we want productivity, we want prosperity, so we'll use coal. And of course China in twenty twenty two, we're building a brand new sorry, two coal fide power stations every week cost And so Trump just understands, if you want to compete, then you've got to scrap ideology. As Chris Wright explained, the ideology is bunk anyway, and get on with building a prosperous economy. And coal got us to hear it'll get us to the future.
Speaker 1: And you know where the coal comes from. That they're burning overseas US buying, we're maning it. They're buying it, they're burning it. They're getting the cheap power, and we're over here going, oh, look at us. We're saving the planet because we're not burning coal. It's the same planet. We all live on, the same planet. It doesn't matter whether you're burn it in China or the US. It's all the same environment that we live in, right And you mentioned about AI. Of course, the other thing that's going on in the United States at the moment is companies like Microsoft are paying obscene amounts of money to start up nuclear power plums because they know that that will be reliable based load power that they can use and have to run these big AI machines that they're going to build because they need all that power. And here we are saying, oh, we're going to have three eyed fish and mutilated children if you talk about nuclear energy. This is how ridiculous it is. And of course our own governments are doing the same stuff that Chris Wright is talking about here, but they do it in a lamenting kind of way. I mean, you've had a Chris Min stand up and say, oh, well, you know, we'll have to keep a rearing open longer than planned because we need to make sure that we have reliable power available for New South Wales. And then down in Victoria, jes Cinra Allen's had to do the same with loy Yang out in the gipps Land, et cetera. So they're all pain to keep culified power stations opened longer than they were planned to be open. But they cry about it when they do it, whereas Trump and his mob are saying, no, actually, we're just going to do what's good for the nation. What a strange idea.
Speaker 2: It's quite amazing in just a few weeks how much of a difference Trump has made to the debate being had right around the Western world. All of a sudden thoughts that we weren't allowed to think, conversations we weren't supposed to have being had, and that includes around diversity, equity and inclusion. Another major corporation has walked away from DEI, this time Disney, which is a miracle because if anyone was committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, it was Disney. But their CEO, Bob Iiger, has said that Disney's primary mission needs to be get this calibern Liz entertainment. He's decided making movie is about entertaining people, not trying to insert ideological propaganda into the minds of people. He said. They don't want to any longer be a gender driven they want to be entertainment driven. As I said. It's a massive departure for Disney because just a couple of years ago, one of their presidents, Casey Burke, boasted that they had decided fifty percent of all of their movie characters needed to be either LGBTQ community members or members of an ethnic minority, and one of their executives boasted that they were constantly adding queerness quote unquote to Disney movies without any pushback at all. And how did that work out for them? Well, it was a box office disaster. Deis kryptonite when it comes to attracting audiences. In twenty twenty three, Disney's biggest four movies lost a combined one billion dollars because it turns out people aren't entertained by DEI. It ruined their family reputation. I remember Pixar put out a kid's cartoon, Elemental, which featured a non binary character, and can you believe parents weren't rushing to take their little kids to hear that maybe they're not a boy or a girl, maybe there's something else all together. And of course, with Trump moving or rather moving to end what he called a legal discrimination and to restore merit based opportunity, Disney, like other corporations, are now a little concerned that maybe their DEI policies might be found to be unlawful, and so they've stepped away. This is a major change. And one of the interesting things to me about Trump in just his first three or four weeks is we've got politicians in this country saying we don't want to get involved in the culture wars. Remember Scott Morrison, so he's a Christian man, but he said no, just the economy. I don't want to get involved in the culture wars. But Trump is taking the cultural wars head on and making incredible changes and people are getting on board. We've been told for years diversity, equity, and inclusion, it's vital, it's so important, and then the drop of a hat, these companies have just stepped right away from it.
Speaker 1: May I just say we are so back, like the world is just writing itself, The world is healing, and it is so beautiful to watch that just one man, and that all this started before he was even president, had them all coming to kiss the ring. Mark Zuckerberg, etc. Has just managed to change the culture so much overnight. And when I say change the culture, it's not that we've really changed the culture. We've just gone back to where we were a decade ago before we really started going off the rails, right, We've just corrected course back to where we always should have been. And of course money talks, and that's what they have realized, is that all of this pilava that they carried on with actually isn't making them any money, and they never really believed it, which is what's been exposed by all of this is that there is no company. I don't think that genuinely ever believed in the idea and the virtue of DEI. But they all did it because they thought it impressed all their other mates in the corporate world and that this would get them all the points that would save them.
Speaker 2: And Paris agreeing same thing.
Speaker 1: But essentially it was insurance so that when the socialists eventually took over that they would be the last ones that faced the acts. Well, it was never going to work. They're not making any money out of it, so they're running in the other direction. Thank god for that, and thank god we've got Trump there, because imagine if you'd had another four years of Harris and Waltz, for goodness sake, we would have gone even further down the line into this stuff to I think an irreparable point basically, and this was such an important moment, and we've hit it and we've done it. And don't forget as well, that Disney, when it was going through all this stuff actually pulled advertising from X after Elon musk word it of course formerly Twitter. This was his advice at the time to Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney. It would seen that mister Aiga actually took his advice here.
Speaker 7: There's a public perception that that was part of a apology tour, if you will. This had been said online, there was all of the criticism, there was advertisers leaving.
Speaker 4: We talked to Bob, I.
Speaker 2: Don't advertise, you don't want them to advertise. No, what do you mean.
Speaker 1: If somebody to try to blackmail me with advertising, blackmailing with money golf?
Speaker 2: But go yourself?
Speaker 1: And who got the last laugh?
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 5: I just love it when we see people in great numbers take action, though, because while Trump is obviously the figurehead of this, let's trash DEI moves, people have been doing this kind of thing for a long time now.
Speaker 4: We saw bud Light.
Speaker 5: Go down in a spectacular fashion. We saw Target caught the heat from millions of a Marria who are like, why are you selling like transgender clothes or like I'm transitioning and I'm a boy who wants.
Speaker 4: To wear girls clothes.
Speaker 5: You're literally marketing these kinds of leotides and other pieces of clothing to children.
Speaker 4: We're just not going to shop with you anymore.
Speaker 5: We saw it when Netflix brought out this What even was it?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 5: A movie about kids who were cheerleaders who were totally overly sexualized, And everyone threw their hands up in the air started canceling their subscriptions on MASS.
Speaker 4: I love it when we're reminded we.
Speaker 5: Actually are incredibly powerful.
Speaker 4: When we have the numbers.
Speaker 5: All these people care about his money, and when enough of us dig the knife.
Speaker 4: In, they changed their minds real fast.
Speaker 5: Well, last night we were talking about a asylum seeker in the UK who got to stay because his son didn't like the chicken nuggets back where he was from. Tonight we're talking about another asylum seeker. This is a forty nine year old woman who gets to stay because she joined a terror group on purpose, and the judge knows it in order to create a case to say, hey, look, if I go back home, I'm going to be prosecuted in Nigeria.
Speaker 4: The judge actually acknowledged.
Speaker 5: Like, I get that you've taken me for a ride here, but let the woman do it anyway, quoting from the judge up a upper tribunal Judge Jemma Lauren ruled that the asylum seeker's activities on behalf.
Speaker 2: Of the group.
Speaker 5: This is the terror group Indigenous people of Biafra. Meant she had a well founded fear of persecution under human rights laws due to her imputed political opinion.
Speaker 4: Conservative part Conservative.
Speaker 5: Party leader Kemmy Badanock so I asked the Prime Minister to appeal this crazy court decision that allows people from Gaza to use the Ukrainian family scheme. He repeatedly refuse to say whether the government had or would. This sets a bad precedent legalism before national interests.
Speaker 4: He's a lawyer, not a leader, and we know he was a pierce poor lawyer when he was that.
Speaker 5: So these guys are fully aware of the insane loopholes. These people have come to their country. They're soaking up all the UK taxpayer pounds, they don't give a rats about anything else, and then they're exploiting the most obvious loopholes. Remember we had Muslims suddenly converting to Christianity saying well, you can't send me back to my Muslim country because now are we prosecuted. Yeah, you had a real come to Jesus moment, didn't you.
Speaker 4: These guys are taking the mick.
Speaker 5: And as we were discussing last night with regards to mister chicken nugget, it's only Western countries who are stupid enough to give them the time of day.
Speaker 2: This Nigerian woman, she failed in her asylum seeker claim and then she appealed once twice, three times, four times, five times, six times, seven times, eight times. She appealed, lost every appeal and then came up with this genius idea. If I join a terrorist group in Nigeria but it's not listed as a terror group in the UK, then they can't send me back because I'll be prosecuted. As you said, Liz, the judges agreed this was a croc, but they also decided, however, we can't send her back. What sort of system allows somebody to appeal eight times times? And by the way, what sort of a system allows some people to remain in the country after they lose their asylum seeker claim for ten years? Yes, well, the court process plays out. Here's another question, how did she forward all those appeals? I mean she would have needed legal representation, right, Well, I guess the UK taxpayer was funding all those appeals over ten years when she was probably receiving welfare. And finally, we're in a situation now where judges are essentially running and deciding policy on who will be here. Politicians aren't brave enough to step out and make the decisions, as you said, Kirs Starmer is just playing mute on this, and so the judiciary of deciding policy.
Speaker 1: Do you mean to tell me it's not the Biafran terrorists who paid for all those appeals. I can't believe it. I mean, it is absurd on so many levels, because if she can do it, then why can't anyone Why, Well, the Nigeria right could just upsticks tomorrow, move to the UK and say they're all members of the indigenous peoples of Biafra.
Speaker 2: It's the fastest growing terror group in the world.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and then how could you deny them asylum status? Right? That seems to be the president that's been set here. So there's a couple of things that need to happen. One needs to be if you've appealed a decision and you lose that set I mean, I don't know of any other court where you just keep appealing and appealing and appealing and appealing and appealing, and once your appeal has been lost, if it goes through an appeals court, you can, perhaps I'm talking an Australian context here, you can go to the High Court. That's probably your last option, right and then once you're done there, it's over. You can't appeal eight times something in Australia, so don't understand why you can do that in the UK. But if we get into a weird pickle like this, surely the UK ought to be able to say, and there should be laws to the effect that say, okay, you are a member of the terror group. Therefore we will say that we're not going to send you back to Nigeria because you will probably be executed or whatever it is when you get back there, but you're going to go to jail while you're here. These are two options. You can go back to Nigeria or you can sit in a jail.
Speaker 5: Here and then just be living on the tax payer time. Welle are bulging. That's where the rubber liseral criminal.
Speaker 1: This is but that's where rubber would hit the road. This is where the rubber would hit the road. Because you then have to make a decision about do I want to live in Nigeria with freedom or do I want to live in a UK prison? Now, if your number one problem is that you can't get three square meals to day, then maybe you'll take the prison, But I think most people would go Actually, I'd rather live somewhere I can move around freely. It's a deterrance, is what it needs to be to stop people from going there. But the fact that that you could even get into a position like this in the first place, and that a judge after eight goes would be like a.
Speaker 2: In your cup, you know, with the whole appeals process, right, I couldn't help. But when I was reading this story, think about cricket, because you know, we're just coming out of cricket season, and you know, when you believe it's out, your appeal right, But could you imagine you just appeal over and over and over again until finally the umpire agrees with that. That would be ridiculous in cricket. But this is what we're doing in immigration policy.
Speaker 1: That's the good thing about the Decision Review system, the DRS. Right, you've only got three goes through the entire which knows your point, and if you fail, you lose an option to use it and the other thing. Of course, you said she's been there all this time. They do exactly the same thing here in Australia. I mean, look at the example of the Biluilla family right where they come to Australia and then we assess their asylum application while they're on shore. That process for whatever reason, because because we don't have enough public servants in this country, takes forever to do and then they go. But we've been living here for teen years now, it's taking you this long to tell us that we're not exactly exactly and now you're telling us we have to go back to a country to which we no longer have any connection. It's like we set it up for them so they can do it. Just absolutely ridiculous. Now we know about the scourge of anti Semitism in this country. You've seen the video that came out yesterday of those two nurses. It is absolutely a problem. But I think one too many times we've been looking for solutions that aren't really solution. Yes, anti Semitism is a problem, but do we not already have laws and rules and regulations that could deal with this people? Why do we keep saying we need to bolster the laws, when actually it seemed in many cases the laws haven't been applied at all, either police or the DPP have been too afraid to use them, or in the case I'm about to talk about, employers just don't want to get rid of anti Semitic people because they actually agree with them. Now we come to the universities here in this country. We sat, of course, the encampments that happened over in the United States. We saw similar protests and carry on at universities here in Australia. You've had academics and many people say things that are outright anti Semitic, and yes they've still got their jobs. So a Parliamentary Committee into Human Rights has come together and said, well, we should bolster the laws to allow the universities to sack these people. Here's the chair of that committee, Josh Burns.
Speaker 3: And regardless of ever wins the election, I want to make sure that these students behind me and all of their colleagues and every single student the Tends University is safe. So this is not the end of the matter. We are watching universities. It is up to them to act and to take this more seriously.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely right. Any Jewish student should feel safe, Any student should feel safe. I mean, how ridiculous that we had the idea yesterday that universities are going to start having safe spaces that are guarded for Jewish students. I mean, if ever there was an admission that there is a problem with antisemitism on campus, it is that. But surely if a member of staff, just like here or anywhere else or any other workplace, is found to be discriminating against other people on campus or is outwardly racist, they can be sacked for the act of discrimination or the act of bringing their employer into disrepute. I think too often it's same. I think with the hate speech laws that we talked about last week, where we go, Okay, we've got a problem with racism here, but we've already got laws to deal with that. No one actually wants to do it, and we go, okay, we need to bolster the laws for the universities. But the universities then have to actually want to sack these people. That's the problem is they haven't wanted to say. You can change the law all you want, but if the people who apply the laws aren't willing to apply the laws, when you could have a law saying that it's illegal to spit in the street, you'll be sent to jail. But if the coppers don't want to stop you from doing it, well it's not going to change anything. I feel like that's the position we've come to.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly the position we're in. It's easier to make new laws, and make new laws, and make.
Speaker 1: New laws and actually deal with the problem for item.
Speaker 2: Then actually enforce existing laws. And they're scared of enforcing existing laws because if they enforce them then just maybe there'll be an uproar, and they don't want to deal with that. I remember being at a pro Palestinian rally and there are a whole bunch of cops. This is when they first started and were huge, And I said to one of the police officers, if someone starts yelling kill the Jews or whatever, will you arrest them? And he said, I'll speak to my superior And I said, why wouldn't you immediately do something? He said, look, how many people are here. If I do anything, it's going to create pandemonium. And that's what we had with vice chancellors on university campuses. Mark Scott said he didn't want to close down the pro Palestinian encampment which was harassing Jewish students. Jewish students stopped going to Sydney University because they didn't want to walk through that encampment where they're harassed. And Mark Scott, the vice chancellor, said he didn't want to do anything because he feared it could get violent. So because of threats of violence, he allowed the intimidation to continue. He didn't want to enforce existing laws. It's easier just to keep making new ones that are never enforced.
Speaker 5: Ondred percent And let's be very clear about the fact that for the purposes of the law, racism is racism. So there I don't believe should be any anti Semitic specific laws in this country because at the end of the day, racism is racism before the law. All racism is equal if you are being singled out due.
Speaker 4: To the color of your skin or your religion.
Speaker 5: Like you say, Caleb, we already have these laws now, whether you believe or not they should exist. I don't free speech absoluteness here, hate speech is free speech, and vice versa. You either have both or you have neither. Make up your minds. So for them to come out and be like, oh, now we're changing this. Now we're changing that. We've already changed the hate speech laws. These guys are simply doing this as a virtue signaling exercise. And when they don't and they actually do make more laws, I think it's utterly ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and don't forget. On Sky News next Thursday, Sherry Marxon will be hosting an anti Semitism summit. John Howard and your South Wales Premier Chris Mins will be amongst those speaking. You won't want to miss that. We're going to go to a break. When we come back to look at what's making news tomorrow, including that incident between the Chinese fighter jet and the left plane that has caused the Albanzi government to protest to Beijing. All of that and more interest a money, welcome back. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. This story you've got the Australian.
Speaker 4: Yes they do, James mcphurst, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Unsafe Australia's blast for Beijing over flair drop on our double af plane. The Albanese government has lodged an official protest with Beijing after a Chinese fighter.
Speaker 8: Jet fired flares in front of an R double AF surveillance aircraft over the South China Sea and a dangerous incident that risked the lives of up to a dozen Australians.
Speaker 5: The Chinese J sixteen fighter shot the flares within thirty meters of an Australian aircraft in an unsafe and unprofessional maneuver.
Speaker 4: Now Defense Minister Richard.
Speaker 5: Miles has said this could most definitely have gone very badly had those flares actually made contact with our aircraft. And so they're conveying to China how disgruntled we all are back home about this incident.
Speaker 4: But here's China's.
Speaker 5: Spokesperson for their defense department giving their side of the story, which sounds very different.
Speaker 9: The Australian military airplane deliberately intruded into China's airspace over Sisa Tenda without China's permission. Such a more violated China's sovereignty and undermined China's national security. The Chinese side took legitimate, lawful, professional and the restraint measures to expel the airplane.
Speaker 5: Gas lading as its finest. These guys are amazing at this. I love reading like the South China posts and all their literally just CCP mouthpiece versions of every story of the interactions between Australia and China.
Speaker 4: It's just incredible.
Speaker 5: If you were Chinese in China, you would think that we were just the most overbearing, ungracious, constantly poking them for no reason country ever.
Speaker 1: And you'll also be on the deep seak finding out that Anthony Albanesi is the best Australian Prime minister ever. I'm glad that you referred to the spokesperson as a spokesperson and said they instead of him or she, etc. Because they appear to be somewhat non binary because you look at it, you'd think it's a bloke and then he opens his mouth and it's a female voice, so you know they've got non binary people in China out. Communists are really progressive, aren't they. But our plane are out of Our double af plane was over international territory at the time. China, of course is all it's our territory because they think they own the entirety of the South China Sea. This has been in contingent for a long obviously, but they don't own it. They do not own the South China Sea. They've been trying to expand into it for a long time, and just because you say it belongs to you, it doesn't mean it belongs to you. You've intimidated us for long enough. And I understand it might be easier to do that with the Albanezi government in power, because you know, he just comes over and talks to g about how cute pandas are or are not. But seriously, to think that you can actually do this in international waters and get away with it, you've got another thing coming, or more to the point, they should have another thing coming, but that won't happen. Will say, oh, we're very upset about this, but that'll be the end of it.
Speaker 2: The only good thing about this story is that this just happened on Tuesday, so what two days ago. So it's a little bit encouraging to see the Albanezi government actually acknowledging that it happened within forty eight hours and making a statement about it, because they've been previous incidents where we haven't found out about it four weeks. Even then, we learned that the Abanezi government has been mute on the issue. So at least the government has laudged a protest, which is more than they did within a short space of time in previous events. Why are you smirking at Melzi because.
Speaker 4: It's just so funny. We're just so small and helpless as at a middle hour. So we're just like we just launched.
Speaker 5: We put a little like slip into their feedback box, like if you could not almost kill us when we're just you know, over international waters, which we're supposed to be playing chaeresis with China, that would be so nice, and they're like stuff, you you were in our territory.
Speaker 4: We had to defend ourselves, and we're.
Speaker 5: Just like, oh yeah, okay, well we tried do the second splash on the front of the oars. No limits forty four billion dollars NDIS therefore all hang on what happened.
Speaker 4: To Bill Shorten's promises.
Speaker 5: NDIS Minister Amanda Rishworth there's a new kid in town, says there will be no tightening of which disabilities are eligible for the forty four billion dollar scheme, despite the government facing a mammoth effort to rein in costs with labor, instead to launch a new panel to review contestable services and programs participants are using. So Bill Shorten flagged late last year that eligibility changes.
Speaker 4: Try saying that five.
Speaker 5: Times fast were in the works, because how else are you going to reduce the giant black hole in the budget that is NDIS spending. Amanda Rishworth has now succeeded the throne of NDIS Minister and she's saying, no, I'm doing no such thing.
Speaker 4: What really struck me.
Speaker 5: About this article, though, was further down when it says, of six million Australians with a disability, Hello, in five of us has a disability?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it a typo? No?
Speaker 2: No, that's a clue as to why they can't cut it right, Because when you've got one in five Australians classifying as having a disability and you say we're going to start cutting the d that tells destroyer right.
Speaker 5: So that tells you that the eligibility what classifies as a disability is utterly ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Boys aged five to eleven on the nd I s. But once you set up a system and you allow everybody on it, how politically do you then take people off of it without suffering electoral pain. So their solution is they're going to love this that they're going to launch. They're going to launch a panel and because.
Speaker 1: I'm going to launch a rocket.
Speaker 2: Love that, right, So we're going to appoint a panel and then they'll just say, well, the panel have advised, I mean, the panel have said they absolve themselves this responsibility.
Speaker 1: A fifth of Australians being disabled to a stat I assume it must include old people like you've got arthritis.
Speaker 4: Even then come on one in fine.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, but that's what I mean. I think that must be how they classify it, because you wouldn't say I will tell you what needs to be done with the NDAs. You could fix it. Well, you could fix a lot of it overnight. Is just look at the fact that as soon as the NDAs came into being, autism diagnoses which is why one in ten boys are on, it just went like that. As soon as the indias came on, diagnoses went like that. And parents stand over clinicians and tell them, if you don't give my kid a diagnosis, there will be trouble. That is what is going on. You ask people who are going to suspect.
Speaker 2: What courage parents to get the diagnosis because then.
Speaker 1: They get money. I know. It's an absolute joke. The Daily Telegraph tomorrow, says our dear Auntie. The ABC costs each Australian household more than the price of a Netflix subscription, but four in ten Australians never watch, listen or read anything the broadcaster does. This is new. Numbers have shown that they've lost a million viewers or listeners in a year with theirs plummeting, and of course they get more money than ever. It's really worth our time, isn't it. Seriously?
Speaker 2: One hundred and five dollars a year we pay for the ABC each compared to ninety six dollars for Netflix subscriptions.
Speaker 1: So remember that it used to be what was it seven cents a day or something they used to tell us. Obviously there's been a bit of inflation going on since just a tad.
Speaker 2: Well, the ABC will be a lot better just as soon as they get more money they cost that every court. Yeah, we're going to go to a break when we come back. If you've ever wondered if we're sending our best into politics, well we've got a video that proves conclusively we are not. That video is coming up. Okay, are we sending our best people into politics? I'm not so sure. Caleb watching American politics.
Speaker 1: Now we should be sending them to the moon. I think. Now, look, bear with me, you never.
Speaker 4: Sent anyone to them.
Speaker 1: I didn't move on anyway. This sounds incredibly dry, incredibly incredibly dry, but bear with me because it builds up to the greatest punchline of all time. There is a Democratic woman House member in the United States, Jan Schikowski. Right. She is addressing a subcommittee of the Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade Committee. This is called the AI in Manufacturing Securing American Leadership in Manufacturing and the Next Generation of Technologies sub Committee. Now watch this clip. Please bear with me, because she builds up too. I am telling you the best punchline.
Speaker 10: Listen, I met with a manufacturing company, but they also are engaged in getting young people more engaged in manufacturing. So I asked them, so, how many of those students that are signing up and want to do this, how many are women? And they said, well, I know there's at least thirteen percent or something, a low number. And you had mentioned trying to engage more women in manufacturing. I'm just wondering if just the name manufacturing sounds like a guy.
Speaker 1: I'm done. I am done all of that to build up to is the problem that manufacturing has men in the world.
Speaker 4: We just have to.
Speaker 5: We have to change the word, and then women will want to do it.
Speaker 4: That's how stupid they are. We just need to change the.
Speaker 5: Term and then they will join manufacturing en mass by a different name. Before we leave you tonight, get a load.
Speaker 4: Of this kid.
Speaker 5: It is Elon Musk four year old son known as Little X. He's attending a press conference in the Oval Office next to Donald Trump, and he had.
Speaker 4: A few words to say to the President.
Speaker 7: Imagine they're going down the groceryil and the prices from one year to the next are the same.
Speaker 2: And there, and they're there the mortgage all their.
Speaker 1: Dead payments dropped. How great is that for the iriage American?
Speaker 5: Not only did he just tell the president to shut up, then he fetches a booger and wipes it on the resolute desk.
Speaker 4: There, kid's got aura.
Speaker 1: I mean, sorry, sorry, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: That's so we've got time for sticking around. Coming up is to readA Penney show. Have a great weekend,