Speaker 1: Welcome to Healthy is your podcast from Body and Soul. I am your host of Felicity Harley. To celebrate summer, we're dropping our top healthiest episodes of the year, the ones you love now Wow you listeners adore Lizellas. This episode went so well we did drop it back in January where she was hosting Gladiators and the former netball legend. She's actually the most capped Australian netball player in history. Liz discusses how she unwittingly empowers many women by being open and honest, and also she adds a few tips on how she stays fit in her fifties. Make sure you listening to our big sister podcast Extra Healthy Ish, where she shares more about how she's embracing midlife like a queen. Thank you for joining us on Healthy Ish. Thanks for having me now welcomeratulations. Firstly on your new TV show. Now, I almost think you're a bit of a gladiator yourself. I mean, you've entertained audiences in various forms over the years, but thanks to I'm a Celeb, you've become this voice for women in their forties and fifties. How does this sit with you.
Speaker 2: I guess it's still a bit of a surprise.
Speaker 3: I think the whole I'm a celebrity thing, I didn't really give any thought to what it would be like afterwards, and I literally just went into the jungle trying to not embarrass my kids or my husband. I certainly didn't go in there thinking I'm going to set myself up as a spokeswoman for.
Speaker 2: Women in their forties and fifties.
Speaker 3: But I guess because I went in there just trying to be honest, and I don't have much of a filter anyway, but I just tried to be honest about the things that, you know, that happened to us or my life that I think it probably resonated with a lot of women. So to come out and find that lots of women really enjoyed hearing or enjoyed seeing someone that was a bit like themselves, you know, that had fertility issues or you know, trying to deal with the kids as they head grow up and head towards puberty and all that sort of thing that I'm.
Speaker 2: Glad it resonated.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I didn't sort of set out for that, But I guess if you find yourself on something like I'm a celebrity and you're honest. People are either going it's either going to resonate with people or they just won't like you. So I'm glad it was the former and not the latter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I feel like we don't have enough women out there in their forties and fifties telling it how it is and you know, and being a real and vulnerable about what they've been through. Have you always been like this? Have you always been no filter putting it all out there?
Speaker 2: Always? Yeah, it does.
Speaker 3: My husband's heading it's the opposite, so he's like, why did you say that?
Speaker 2: Like it's the truth, babe.
Speaker 3: So you know, yeah, And I think also like we don't hear lots of voices of women who are our age out there. But also the platforms just st aren't there. So when you get the opportunity on a platform like I'm a Celebrity to say it how it is, at the older I get, the less I care about what comes out of my mouth in terms of when it's about me, in terms of being honest. So, you know, the other interesting thing about doing I'm a celeb was that I chose share the dignity as my charity, and it was really interesting getting feedback from Rachelle Courtney, who founded WHO, said that when she first started Share the Dignity, she couldn't get on to mainstream TV, especially breakfast or evening primetime, because people didn't want to hear about periods. Right, you couldn't talk about periods on time television or god for me, breakfast television. And yet so she was happy that we were able to talk about periods and period poverty and menstruation and pregnancy loss and all the sort of stuff that we often don't hear about because it used to be deemed a bit icky for prime time. Whereas you know, this sort of stuff affects half half the adult population, so we should actually be talking about it. So, you know, I think having getting the opportunity to go on, I'm a celebrity. When I reflect on it now, I'm really grateful that I've got that platform to talk about the things that affect me, because I think they affect a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's a good point. I mean, you know, I suppose I've been in women's lifestyle publications for years, so talking about periods and mens duration and miscarriages and IVF is nothing new to me, but I do forget that outside this, you know, Dome, I mean, in women's health and well being, you know, I mean, people don't have these conversations.
Speaker 3: Now they don't, and I think it's something that we think. I think traditionally has been oh, well, women should have these conversations, But these are conversations through everybody, because you need men to be and men get affected by infertility, whether it's them that who are infertile, or it's their partner, and you know, it's and often we think it's women's issues, but it's everybody's issues, you know. And the more we think about the language that we use around these things, and you know, when you suffer pregnancy loss and it's and you're part of a couple, it's deeply affecting for both of you.
Speaker 2: It's not just the women's issues.
Speaker 3: So I do feel really grateful that we're able to talk about it, and I'm grateful to Channel ten for the way they handled it.
Speaker 2: You know. One of the things that came out of that was.
Speaker 3: You know, when Deb Lawrence and I were talking about pregnancy loss, we didn't realize because we're in the jungle, and we didn't know anything, but you know, Channel ten put some up to Pink Elephants to the miscarriage Support Network, and you know, Dev and I have both been in contact with them since and done some things for them. So I think it's not only having the platform, but having that platform be sensitive to these sort of things. That's so important. And I'm just super grateful that we're able to talk about that stuff and it made it to air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and well, thank you for doing that. I think you helped a lot of women, you know, feel seen and heard now onto gladiators. I actually sat down and watched this with the whole family, with my kids, with my husband, and we couldn't get over it. Well, firstly, how fit and incredibly strong everyone was. And actually my husband, who you know, kept saying I would have been so good at that back in the day.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Yeah, Exa, you can't help yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, what do you think you you know, how do you think you'd stuck up in a challenge?
Speaker 3: Oh? Look, I was never particularly musty or anything like that, but I had lots of mongrel, so I know I'm strong, but I'm not like when you see them and they've got six packs. No matter how hard I trained, I never had a six pack. Might have had something to do with the wine that I like. But you know, like these gladiators and the contenders are so fit and so strong, and the gladiats, particularly a superhuman. You look at someone like Chaos and she's the strongest person I've ever met, and that is saying something.
Speaker 2: And Maximus and guys like that.
Speaker 3: So I would have loved to have been a contender because I think whilst I couldn't have matched them for that muscular strength, I was pretty fast, but I just had so much mongrel that it would have been so much fun.
Speaker 2: To take people like that on.
Speaker 3: Having said that, now I'm much happy to be wearing a nice suit and having hair and makeup done and sitting on the sideline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can hear that.
Speaker 1: I hear you on that one. How do you keep fitting strong now in your fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I get a lot of incidental exercise.
Speaker 3: So my husband's a farmer, which makes me a farmer by proxy, So you know, jumping fences and climbing through the cattle yards and jumping on the back of the car and throwing out feed to the cattle is something that the whole family does, so all that incidental exercise is just so important.
Speaker 2: But when I turned fifty, I really noticed.
Speaker 3: That my muscle was sort of going and I didn't have that much to start with, to be brutally honest.
Speaker 2: So I just got a marketplace.
Speaker 3: A couple of months ago, and I bought a little home gym to put in the garage, and I bought some dumbells, and I just make myself do twenty minutes a day as I walk, you know, walk out to the car to take the kids down to the bus to go to school or whatever, just you know, a little bit of weights. And I think that is something that I just continue to incorporate. And the other thing that I do wish I found out about when I was playing is pilates. I do it at least once a week, and I try to do it more and I love it. It just it's just a missing link. It just puts everything together. And the thing for me, after being an athlete for so long, when you sort of hit your fifties, things fall apart, and the parts of your body where the cartilage has taken a battering really do let you know, and my back had started to give me some issues. So I did pilates and I did it really all the way through both my pregnancies. And you know, when I was pregnant with Austin, I was forty three and I was still doing polarities up to the week before I gave birth, and that really helped me in my recovery. So that's something that I love. That's a non negotiable. So that a little bit of weight. So I played tennis occasionally, which is more hit and giggle than fitness. And yeah, lots and lots of incidental exercise, which I love.
Speaker 1: Liz, thank you for coming on health Hitch.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. Always good to chat to you.
Speaker 1: He can catch it Gladiators right now on ten and ten A play for anything else, Head to Body and soult or Condatu Follous on Socials. Make sure you rate and review this Chat with It Liz, or you can subscribe to this podcast of course, Share is out with a friend, go on someone who needs some midlife inspo, and until next time you listen, stay healthy, ish