Speaker 1: This is the Media Show, with Jack outing Hello and welcome to the Media Show. Tonight we'll take a look at Elon Musk's war with advertisers, labour spreading, cost of living, fake news, and a look at the ABC's investigation into Network seven. But first, now to the chaos in the UK, with riots spilling into the streets after three young girls were brutally murdered by a seventeen year old who can only be described as pure evil. He was also charged with ten counts of attempted murder, with other victims hospitalized with their injuries.
Speaker 2: The country is bracing itself for more scenes like this. Police are aware of thirty gatherings and are preparing for a day of disorder. An extra two two hundred riot trained officers are being deployed to confront whatever comes next.
Speaker 1: And the media was quick to blame misinformation for the riots because in the lead up to the rights false information spread that the evil murderer we mentioned as an immigrant and a Muslim. Turns out he was actually born in the UK to Rewandan parents and his family was Christian.
Speaker 3: Violin anty immigration riots continue in the UK. The protests first broke seven days ago after anti immigration misinformation campaign stoked outrage over a stabbing attack that left three children dead in northern England.
Speaker 1: But there have also been horrific moments captured by the so called progressive counter protesters. Now this includes Labor councilor Ricky Jones, who's actually been arrested for encouraging the murder of protesters.
Speaker 4: Children, women, using no friends artist in a smartic, they are disgusting?
Speaker 5: Do we need to.
Speaker 1: Cold up and get it alone? Well? Joining me on the show this week is skyn New's host Caleb Bond and skyn New's contributor Louise Roberts. Caleb, let's STARp with you. What is going on in the UK and what do you make of this conflict I think between the media, the protesters, the social media's role in the early reports which turned out to be erroneous. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Well? May I first point out the muted clapping behind that Labor councilor there when he called for throats to be cut.
Speaker 1: There were some cheers.
Speaker 4: Of I know they didn't quite know what it just happened.
Speaker 1: But they're like, it's just grinning. What has happened in the UK?
Speaker 4: As Nigel Farage pointed out during the week is that you have had years and years and years of people trying to have an open and sensible discussion about mass migration, and every time they've tried to have that discussion, they have been accused of being racist and bigoted, etc. And a pressure point has been reached on the back of misinformation that is alleged to have been spread by other foreign powers. And how smart foreign powers to realize the disunity that exists within Western nations to be able to jump on that and just further that disunity in an event like this. But the point you have reached is that when you tell people that they are animals or they are like animals, they will eventually act like animals. And that's what they've done because they've gone heck and not that we can done violence at all, but what they've looked at it and said, well, if I can't have the genuine discussion about what's happened to my country, I've got to find a way to make my voice heard. And that, unfortunately, is what has happened. And the fact that the media and particularly the new prime ministers the Kistama in the UK, keeps carying on about the far right only further stokes this division and the protests that we've seen throughout the week, because a lot of these people, although they act like thugs, wouldn't see themselves as far right. They would see themselves as good British people who don't like what's happened to their country, and they're out there in their mind trying to fight for their country and stand up for what they think is right. And so when you describe them as far right, it just makes them angrier and they go on to protest more. So you set it up as the far right and then the anti racists, and you put those two together. Of course, anti racist implies that they're the good people, and far right implies that they're the bad people. It does nothing to quill the division.
Speaker 1: It's a lazy fjorative because they're also labeling every center right political group nowadays, it seems to get the far right label. And then what are we then conflating them with somebody that is doing criminal rioting. I don't think that's I actually think it's quite a lazy label. I think just say this person is protesting because of this, and reporting where you possibly can. Obviously people quote, but the least, let's bring you in. What do you make of this whole situation, Well, haven't.
Speaker 6: Lived in the UK for seventeen years. I think the main issue is not the migration, it's how they focus on the assimilation. As you say, Caleb, any discussion about making a unified Britain great Britain, which is as a country is shouted down. As you know, you've got both sides saying don't destroy my country and the other side saying, well, you're being racist because you're daring to raise it. It's an idiotic situation really, And also I would say that Kirs Darma clearly has not got his own house in order. Okay, he's only a month in as the new PM, but the fact that a labor counselor is saying what he's saying quite happily on camera, knowing he's got a microphone shoved in his face and there's people around him, is just it just shows that the message about we will go after these people it has not gone down to the rank and file counselors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you can be emboldened by if the media is clearly taking one side in this, and in my opinion they are and every single story is of these evil protesters here on the far right, when there's probably a divergence of political views that have led to them coming out there. Then you get people on the left that are so embolden that they're talking about cutting people's throats. I think that's a problem. But look, staying on this story, there were also some hairy moments of the report orders on the ground. In one clip that's gone viral, the network cuts away from the reporter as Islami game shouting Palestine surround the woman.
Speaker 2: Community leaders have been speaking to the police as well, because.
Speaker 6: But I think apologies for the language you're hearing, but.
Speaker 5: I think you can yeah, I think Becky apologize.
Speaker 1: We need to leave you there, Louise. A lot of criticism actually the network for cutting away rather than staying on it. I'm in two minds. I think there's definitely a safety issue, and the news desk was saying, we've definitely got security there, But I mean, you've kind of got this opportunity to keep the cameras rolling or what do you think.
Speaker 6: It's the same with any sort of protest or war situation. Do you keep shooting in filming or do you run to safety as well. And I think that reporter in particular was very brave the fact she still kept broadcasting and trying to illustrate what was going on.
Speaker 1: She's very calm, was very calm, yes.
Speaker 6: Having been in a few precarious protest situations myself. The adrenaline is surging and you're thinking, I want to get the news down the line to the camera to my news editor. But at the same time, when do you pull the pin and actually prioritize your own safety. So it's very you have to judge it on the situation at hand.
Speaker 1: I think definitely, And Caleb, another reason why this clip's so interesting to me is because it has triggered off the conversations about the two tiered policing system, the two tiered media coverage in many ways. And yes, there are obviously these awful people on this particular right political side of politics that are burning things down, bashing people, doing horrific criminal things, But you've also got people on the other side of the political spectrum who were doing just as egregious things surrounding a female reporter in a very threatening manner, and it doesn't seem to get the backlash. The journalists on the news desk. He wasn't scathing of it.
Speaker 4: What do you make problem with characterizing at all is the far right, because it hasn't all been the far ll complicated correct And as we saw there, and there's there's plenty more footage of it that we've been showing on the late Debate throughout the week, there have been plenty of Islamic protests as well that have been just as violent, just as much violence perpetrated upon the other side by Muslim protesters throughout the week, but the media doesn't touch that because it comes with the added complication of potential Islamophobia and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. In terms of that footage there, and by the way, that crew was then followed by those men and they had the tires of their van stabbed and let down, so they weren't going to let up. In situations like that, it is important for that footage to go to wear. And I think we got the gist of what was going on from the little bit that we saw there. I mean, you know, bloke goes up to the camera and he's basically making a gun sights at it. I would continue taking the footage. I just wouldn't put it to air live because that's a really bigin point, because what they want is the attention if.
Speaker 1: There was some violent act I mean, Luis, if there was something horrible that happened. They do have all these regulations. They probably would get in a lot of trouble that would do. So it's all very well for me to say they should have kept on filming. I would like to see them release more footage now that we know it didn't get to that threshold.
Speaker 6: I agree, maybe have the reporter in the studio being interviewed by the host and saying what it was like to actually be on the scene. I think there's always an appetite for from viewers to actually see how hard journalists work and actually see the calamity that they have to deal with, actually just reporting the news itself and in a way that doesn't condone or celebrate what these thugs are doing. And clearly that's why they're going after a light broadcast. I thinking, fantastic, you can't stop me. I can say what I want, but if it's if it's recorded and then edited later, that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, well, now, let's move on to chaotic scenes at the Olympics where the International Boxing Association declared war on the IOC.
Speaker 5: We have forgotten that the Olympic Committee additional committee is not a political body. It's not a political organization, is a public organization. There so the general public and the countries have to take the whole decision, and today, unfortunately, we are witnessing the failure the death of women female boxing.
Speaker 1: The media reporting, for the most part, appears to side with the IOC, with publications such as the Sydney Morning Herald labeling the press conference fascicle. Now let's bring the panel back into discuss Caleb. There's a few This is a really complicated story, but there's a few points that I make. The IOC appears to be relying on evidence that these athletes are female, based on documents such as the passport, whereas on the other hand, the Boxing Association, whether or not there is corruption issues or governance issues, they have released times when tests were taken. They've said that it came from these water facilities, these places that if you were to accept that all the tests were flawed and there is no chromosomal issue, you would have to accept that there's this grand conspiracy that stretches all the way from the Boxing Association to each individual testing association, which is wider endorsed. To me, it seems less likely that that is happening, and more likely that the IOC is only relying on a document as opposed to anything that's a test.
Speaker 4: Well, well, it's the whole you know, choose between conspiracy and cockup. Ninety percent of the time, they're probably going to be the cock up, right, because to pull the conspiracy off would be a hell of a task. And what has troubled me about all of this is that, of course the IBA sees that they did the genetic testing and it came back with the x y chromosomes that would prove biological maleness about these two people who seem to be women and are competing as women. It would be so easy to fix all of this by the IOC taking the same genetic test or imposing the same genetic test and coming back with the results, and then it would be cleared up. We would all know. And by the way, both of the competitors could do that.
Speaker 1: But they have chosen well, and the Boxing Association says that they have been threatened because as privacy issues, and that's correct.
Speaker 4: Legally, there's only so much that they can release.
Speaker 1: But apparently athletes themselves have said, do not release my tests.
Speaker 4: You don't have permission, and you'd wonder why that might be. But the IOC could do its own testing and come to its own conclusions, and it has chosen not to do so. And what has troubled me about the coverage is that the media and us as journalists, are meant to question everything, even if sometimes those things we are questioning might go against our own beliefs or our own ideologies. Right, the media largely has taken aside that being we're not going to ask the question of the IOC, why haven't you done your own testing, because we've now decided that there are certain sacred cows, and one of them is that you can't question someone's gender identity. Both of these competitors, as far as we can see, have always lived their lives as women's and so we now decide, well, that's it. We can't question that.
Speaker 1: In this age, in the age of identity, in the age where you can be whatever you want, the piece of paper saying what you are is not proof. The science is the proof. Anyway, we're going to take a quick break because when we're back inside Labour's misinformation scandal, now to the Labor Party in Australia, which has been pined for spreading misinformation. And this is pretty funny to me because this is the party which wants to enforce strict misinformation laws on you, but doesn't want politicians to be held to the same standard. Sky reporter Riley Sullivan reports Anthony Albanesi ping for spreading misinformation on social media with misleading costs of living claims. While Australians are doing a tough battling inflation and insane mortgage repayments, our Prime Minister thought it was a smart idea to brag on social media about his government. He published a picture of a CD album cover sprooking his cost of living relief actions, and there was a backlash. X users fact checked the PM and found that most of the policies he claimed that were winter cost of living relief measures hadn't even started yet. Albanize continued his horror week with a tough interview from Pete Stefanovic, who pointed out on live television that homeowners would not get interest rate relief in part because labor had a spending issue.
Speaker 7: Are Australians facing higher rates for longer because of big spending federal and state budgets.
Speaker 4: Well, that's not what they've said, Peter, with respect.
Speaker 7: And well, this is the quote here from the RBA. Public demand is forecast to be stronger than previously expected reflecting recent public spending announcements by federal and state government.
Speaker 1: Are you saying they're wrong. Yeah, that's very different.
Speaker 4: That's very different from from the way that you characterized that, Peter.
Speaker 7: We've made your fiscal policy, budget policy works arm in arm with monetary Well that's not working at all because the RBA and Treasury are brawling at the moment.
Speaker 1: That's not true, Peter.
Speaker 7: Well you're saying completely different inflation.
Speaker 1: No, we're no, we're not. Louise what a brilliant but brutal interview.
Speaker 6: By Peter did very well indeed, Yet.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, cost of living is this issue which is plaguing everybody in Australia globally as well. What's the thought process behind doing up at a CD. By the way, the people who are doing this, his massive team of media minders, they're on good Wickeds. They probably don't have an issue with cost of living personally sitting from there their places in Canberra. But to do that and brag, is that an effect of media strategy?
Speaker 6: Well, I think dj Elbow is from this one totally out of control and at his own hand.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's got the headline sorted a CD.
Speaker 6: Who under thirty knows what a CD is? I would say as well, but cost living is not a joke. It is never a laughing matter.
Speaker 1: Globally.
Speaker 6: I cannot think of a world leader who would actually use this as some sort of parody or some sort of spin argument to sort of say, hey, look what the great work we're doing to help you while you're at the supermarket look at your receipt and going, oh my god, I've just spent five hundred dollars on what I can't even see that I'm going to actually cover the food for the family for the rest of the week. So it's just a complete ignorance of what the average person in Australia is dealing with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Caleb, I mean there's another element to this as well, this interview that Pete Stefanovic had with Alban Easy. He's pushed on this this tension point that they have with the RBA, and we know there was a tension point because the RBA said one of the factors was stronger government spending and then in the inquiry it was repeated again the guff moment, spending across multiple levels was a factor. How dare this bloke stand here and say that that is a false characterization on live television.
Speaker 4: I know, Well, it's just an out and out lie, isn't it. And the great problem that Alban Easy in the Treasure Jim Chalmers have is that Michelle Bullock, the Governor of the Reserve Bank, has turned out to be a very effective communicator in terms of the media war in trying to win the hearts and minds of people in terms of where cost of living is going and where their interest rates are going, and where inflation is going. Michelle Bullock has been able to communicate the RBA's view so succinctly and in such a straightforward way that Philip Low never could that. I think most people can look at it and see that the Prime Minister is making things up and to them.
Speaker 1: As tough as she's not scared by the fact that they are.
Speaker 4: Pushing back, and I was skeptical about her to begin with, because I thought we'd be better off with an RBA governor who hadn't spent most of their work career inside of the RBA, because I think that was the problem with Philip Low. But she's actually shown herself to be a very shrewd operator and a great communicator, which is what we needed at this particular point in time. But for the Prime Minister to think brag about measures that haven't even come into place yet and lie to Pete steffin Avick, I mean a fact check a CD is about as useful as the measures that he's touting on that cover there, because who's got a CD player anymore? Like then, the symbolism of that alone was like, what are you paying these people for?
Speaker 1: Bunch of bunch of boomer media advisors that reminiscing really bad stuff. Look, let's move on. Because Elon Musk has declared war on activist advertisers who pulled money away from conservative platforms on news sites. The New York Post reports the left leaning advertising cabal, accused of conspiring to suppress conservative outlets, was reportably disbanded on Thursday, just days after Elon Musk's ex slapped the group with a federal anti trust lawsuit, let's bring the panel back in now, Luise to have this massive body which is responsible for directing advertising funds for them to be accused of anti trust violations and then to just delete it. That's not a great look, Well it's not.
Speaker 6: But also the irony of someone like Elon Musk and the platform he runs and what he allows to be distributed on that platform, it beggars belief that he would go after a standard's authority given what standards he applies to his own own commercial network in a way. So I just think is typical sort of megalomaniac billionaire owner over a platform like that who doesn't like what he hears, so he launches legal action and to what end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he definitely does not like being criticized. I'm definitely a little bit more sympathetic with him because we do get targeted by some of these groups, and look, sometimes we do make mistakes, and sometimes the criticism against us is fair, but sometimes times there are people that have very nefarious genders that group together and that was the problem with GM and now there is an attempt for them to escape accountability for these perceived violations of antitrust. Whether or not they did, we won't really know because they've broken up the organization.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's probably the best case scenario out of this, is that even if the case eventually comes to nought, it's resulted in the breaking up of the organization. Because look, I don't have a particular problem with commercial operators banding together to spend their advertising money with one mob or another, because that's just the free market, right. And if someone decides that their company's values don't aly with aligned, sorry with a media outlets values or a social media company's values, and they shouldn't be forced to advertise with them. What needs to happen on the other side, And have often said this about the right, and it's often the right that gets targeted by the left in terms of these boycotts, is the right has to do the same back to the boycotts, because the lift is very good at boycotting. It's been a tactic they've used for a long time. But the right doesn't tend to do it back. And so I would say to viewers of this network or users of X or whatever, if an advertiser decides to boycott a network or a media outlet or a social media platform that you like to use, boycott the advertiser back because they can spend their money where they want, but you can also spend your.
Speaker 1: Money bud your bud light found that exactly hard well.
Speaker 4: As consumers, I think have to use a bit more of our own power to fight back against this stuff.
Speaker 1: Well said. We'll see how that plays out, but moving on now. Four Corners Louise Milligan has a site set on Network seven and the investigation promises to be must watch TV if this promo was anything to go by.
Speaker 6: Is one of the most soul crushing places you can work in Smoke and Mirrors.
Speaker 4: Channel seven likes to portray itself as a family.
Speaker 6: I think it's a very dysfunctional family.
Speaker 1: In Silence for Life Breaking seven Silence, the fear is visceral and I haven't seen anything like it.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't just call it the second Charts Club.
Speaker 1: I'd call it the third, fourth, and fifth Charts Club.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't be in business if that's what they're doing to young women. How do they sleep at night?
Speaker 6: Four Corners Monday.
Speaker 1: ABC, Louise the Music it hasn't me a bit scared. What do you think?
Speaker 6: Well, this has been a story about misbehavior and media organizations, has just dominated the headlines the last six months, hasn't it.
Speaker 1: But I will watch it.
Speaker 6: But I do feel a bit nervous when a publicly funded broadcaster is going after commercial network and investigating them, because there's most certainly a few skeletons in the ABC closet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd argue that's a very good point, Caleb, your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Look, you could probably do this story about almost any broadcast or any media organization, any company.
Speaker 1: In any bank exactly for that matter.
Speaker 4: All I will say though, is that so there may be a reason miss Milligan goes after see as an aggrieved former staff member of Channel seven herself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good point. Well, Caleb Luise, thank you so much. That's all the time we have for tonight. Thank you for joining us. Up Next is Lefties Losing It.