Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, September seventeen, twenty twenty five. The former US Secretary of State says China is playing a great game in the Pacific. Kurt Campbell told the National Press Club on Tuesday Beijing is relentless in its interference in Australian initiatives in the region and could be behind a delay of a new security pact with Poppy New Guinea. Susan Lee will warn Australia is in danger of losing its Triple A credit rating if reckless spending goes unchecked. The opposition leader will make her first major economic speech on Wednesday. She'll commit to putting a handbrake on taxes. Those stories alive right now at the Australian dot com dot au. It seems like an odd troop to take the victor you're in. Premier is catching trains around China to talk up Chinese investment in projects like renewable energy and maybe even public transport, as well as her ambitions to bring in more Chinese students. There are all topics that make the federal government very nervous, so what's just into Alan really up to in China? Anthony Galloway joins us from a bustling Beijing railway station.
Speaker 2: We've just spent the last twenty four hours in Beijing after just into Alan, touchdown, and about to catch a train, a fast train to Nanjing, where you will visit a school and meet.
Speaker 1: This is The Australian's Victorian political editor, Anthony Galloway. He's at a train station in Beijing. Of course, he is with the state's labor premier.
Speaker 2: Just into Alan and then we're going to catch another fast train to Shanghai, so it will be a long day.
Speaker 1: Allan is whizzing around China in honor of a new strategy she's just released all about closer ties with China, including more international students and bigger investment in Victoria. She's already announced fast tracking a four hundred and thirty five million dollar solar battery program funded by a Beijing company, to be built in Victoria's northeast. Plus now there's talk she'll allowed Chinese investment in Melbourne's suburban rail loop. The timing is weird. Just a fortnight ago, Allen's predecessor, Daniel Andrews a fellow member of the Socialist Left faction, embarrassed the federal government by showing up at Shijingping's giant military parade when Australia's own ambassador had pointedly stayed away dentat and Welcome to Chona.
Speaker 2: Dan Andrews appearance at that controversial military parade has really complicated the optics for to Cina Allen's trip. Her entourage weren't happy with it because this trip was locked in months ago, and all of a sudden, her predecessor is appearing at an event very much endorsing China's geopolitical kind of moves in the region and the world. When Jacina Allen really wants to focus on things like education, boosting exports, and boosting Chinese investment into Victoria, so she wants to keep it about the economy, jobs. She doesn't want to be talking about any kind of controversial geopolitical issues to do with Beijing.
Speaker 3: It's an important opportunity to strengthen the relationship with China because it means focusing on jobs, jobs for working people and Victorian families, and that's exactly what we'll be doing this week while I'm in China.
Speaker 1: When Dan Andrews was starting up and down red carpets with Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong worn. It seemed like a bit of a throwback to a more innocent time when premiers of state in Australia thought that engagement in China on the economy or on anything else was a universally good thing. It's much more complex now, though, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is much more complex. It's really stark. During this trip. I just get the sense from the Victorian premiere that she doesn't want to talk about any of those other issues. But I mean, the fact is under the Chinese system that they do like to intertwine the economy and national security issues. But that's not what Jacinta Allen wants to do. It gets complicated when she's talking about boosting the amount of Chinese investment into high tech industries in Victoria. So this China strategy that she released talks about things like that, talks about helping Chinese investors navigate the process of the Foreign Investment Review Board.
Speaker 3: I want to see Victoria as the first port of call for Chinese businesses to innovate and invest.
Speaker 2: That kind of talk may set her on a collision course with Canberra, because obviously agencies in CAM a kind of reticence for Chinese investment into any kind of sensitive technologies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of concern at a federal level about critical infrastructure investments by China and about kind of anything that is adjacent to critical infrastructure. You know that that term is up for definition. I guess, so how much of what Jasinter Allen wants to do is actually going to be able to be achieved. Can she persuade the Foreign Investment Review Board to do something it's skeptical about.
Speaker 2: I mean, they can help explain it, but at the end of the day, you would think the Treasurer and the people that oversee the FURD process, with the advice of agencies like AZIO, will make their decisions regardless of anything that Victoria thinks. I mean. The other issue where Jasinter Allen is potentially out of step with Canber is she's saying it's all about education, education, education. She wants to boost the number of Chinese students studying at Victorian universities and vocational senses. But the Albanezi government has a cap of two hundred and seventy thousand that they put in base for twenty twenty five. Last month they announced in additional twenty five thousand placements, but that's only for universities who are one boosting student accommodation and two engaging in Southeast Asia, not China. So Canberra wants more students from Southeast Asia, probably less from China to kind of improve that balance, given there is already so many Chinese students studying in Australia, particularly in some of those Melbourne universities. So the key part of our strategy may be a bit out of alignment with where Canberra wants to have had.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Part of the Federal government's anxiety about student numbers is related to housing, which of course is their great undelivered promise from the previous election. You know, they promised to get housing affordability under control because they knew it's a massive issue, particularly in Sydney. They haven't got there yet. And the influx of migrants is one of the causes of housing price increase, of course, as all other population pressures are. Is that in Victoria though, I mean is housing hot enough in Melbourne where, of course the property market's very different. To make this something that Cinta Allen would be worrying about or not is the goal of propping up the education sector? You know, does it override that concern?
Speaker 2: It seems to override it for just center Allen. As you say, the property market in Melbourne's different story to say Sydney, but it's really heading up in Victoria the past few months. And I think that need to provide student accommodation stock is just as relevant in Melbourne as anywhere else.
Speaker 3: I will always say yes to international students and I'm not going to be deterred because it's so important. It's so important. It means jobs, it means opportunities, particularly for regional kids.
Speaker 2: She is really talking about regional Victorian universities, so that may be perhaps where she's heading, kind of changing that balance between less overseas students at Melbourne unis more in some of those regional campuses, so she could be heading there.
Speaker 1: What's your sense of her as a leader, Anthony in light of this trip. You know, she's potentially starting a fight with Anthony Albanezi. She's not happy about Daniel Andrews, but she's forged a head anyway. She's on this trip. Is she kind of you know, slightly unwilling guest of the Chinese government and having to make it.
Speaker 2: All look good.
Speaker 1: Or is this, you know, the just into kind of crash or crash through strategy?
Speaker 2: It seems a bit that way. I mean, it's hard to see what they want out of this trip except more of the same. To go back to the strategy, it's a lot more vague than the plan released by Daniel Andrews in twenty sixteen. It doesn't sign Victoria up to hard targets. It will be really hard to judge this strategy in a few years time about whether it's this success or a failure. So one is left wondering is a big reason why this trip is taking place more about politics? So her entourage includes five Labor MPs with the highest number of Chinese Australian voters. So is it really about hitching to Chinese Australians who were so crucial to State Labour's win last election heading into a November election in twenty twenty six reminding Chinese Australians in Victoria that the Liberal Party can't talk to these voters and that Labor really can. I thank you, okay, thank you, that's find so much me.
Speaker 1: Send me the audio just you can send it on WhatsApp.
Speaker 2: It was great, Thanks, okay, catch up for.
Speaker 1: And then he was gone. Anthony Galloway is The Australian's Victorian political editor. He's been in the job just a couple of weeks and he's already smashing out the scoops, including a story that brought down the president of the Victorian Liberal Party. You can check out his reporting anytime at the Australian dot com dot au