Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is healthy Heir with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, targeted episodes we tackle one specific question or challenge head on. Well. Today we are bringing in neuroscientists doctor Sarah Mackay to discuss the very real and practical strategies that can lower our risk of dementia by a whopping forty five percent. So if you have a family history of neurological disorders such as dementia, Alzheimer's, MS, Parkinson's, or you simply are just wanting to lower your own risk, today's episode is for you. Doctor Sarah is the author of three neuroscience books on brain health, including her latest book, Brain Health for Dummies, published earlier this year. She was also recently on the Mel Robins podcast and she's got a fabulous Instagram page which I'll pop a link in the show notes too, because it's all about helping our female brains thrive. So here is what doctor Sarah had to say about reducing our risk of dementia In Australia. Dementia, which also includes Alzheimer's, has recently overtaken heart disease as the number one killer of Australians. Researchers believe that this is due to three main reasons. So firstly, we're living longer, so that's a good thing. Secondly, we are now better at preventing and managing heart disease, which is also a good thing. And thirdly, we now have better diagnosis and awareness of dementia, which is also a good thing, but still we do want to avoid dementia ideally, So doctor Sarah kicking off, what actually is dementia, it's in a very broad general sense.
Speaker 2: We often talk about nowadays Alzheimer's disease and related dementia's.
Speaker 1: Like neurodegenerative disease.
Speaker 2: Dementitsia's kind of the umbrella term which describes these sort of symptoms that you would get, you know, when you're hopefully when you're much much older, about which Alzheimer's disease is one of the main causes one of the kind of diseases that causes symptoms of dementia. So you could also develop dementia. If you had Parkinson's disease, you could have front to temporal dementia like what Bruce Willis has right, perhaps some type of dimention cause by alcoholism.
Speaker 1: So dementia's kind of actually dimess going on and neurons not firing or shrinking.
Speaker 2: Again, it bends on which of the diseases we're looking at. If we were looking at Alzheimer's disease in a brain that had clinically diagnosed Alzheimer's disease, that brain would be much it would be very, very shrunken. We would see a lot of death in the neurons. A lot of the neurons that were still kind of living would be would be kind of filled with all of these kind of tangles of proteins, so you know, then the connections between neurons would be lost. So the whole brain is kind of really starting meted by well, starting to literally degenerate. We're getting tissue degeneration, getting all the immune cells to go in and kind of eat up the generating tassoe. So that's what you would see in the case of someone with extreme Alzheimer's disease. But you know, that process can you know, take ten, twenty, even thirty years. So sometimes the very very first signs of Alzheimer's disease are these these classic things that people have heard about, like, you know, kind of forgetfulness, getting lost is a really big one. Losing your sense of smell, having memories from your past but not being able to kind of remember what happened.
Speaker 1: You know, I get all those now, I know.
Speaker 2: But it's also the inability to imagine the future.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, that's an interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've got there. There's quite a tight correlation between your autobiographical memories of your autobiographical past and your ability to imagine the future. Very similar brain networks are involved. So often people don't have the ability to kind of just set in daydream. So there's a whole lot of different symptoms, and you get personality change. You can often get like kind of depression, you can get you know, aggression. There's a whole host of symptoms under that. We typically think it's about memory loss or forgetting your kids' names or whatever, or it's people say, oh, I can't you know, I always losing my glasses. I'm always losing my keys. Someone with Alzheimer's disease would find their glasses, but then they wouldn't know what to do with them.
Speaker 1: Got it? But remember and you really know, like when I'm thinking about those of us that have aging parents, you know, and we all, oh, you know, mum, you can't remember where you parked your car. That's not necessarily a massive red flag, but I think most of us can sense what happens.
Speaker 2: It starts to happen regularly every day, and it's interfering with people's you know, daily life.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: I mean you go off to the doctor or you take them. Sometimes they don't want to go because sometimes they mightn't even notice that there's a problem. Often they don't necessarily know that that there's issues.
Speaker 1: As people on the outside. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's some really interesting gendered research on that, particularly in like very traditional structured families that often the gerry intoligist friend of mine told me that she will see elderly gentle and coming and much further along in their kind of disease process because they've got like say, a really traditional wife who's cocked cleaned, cox olivers meals, doesn't wash.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing network whereund.
Speaker 2: She gets Alzheimer's disease, he's not getting in his breakfast, so he brings her in at a much earlier stage of the disease, and particularly those traditional structured families, which feeds into what you were saying there about when we're looking at these statistics, we're looking you know, different people are going to be diagnosed at different kind of points in their life span, Like so that woman might have been diagnosed far younger than the man, even though they both started showing symptoms at the same age, because it's the family structure that's determined that. We were also getting just some good news about Alzheimer's and dementia. We've got lots more old people, so there's more old people alive that are developing it. But your individual risk, or we might call the incidents, particularly in healthy, wealthy countries, is actually declining. So my generation and your generation have a much lower risk of developing Alzheimer's disease in our mother's generation and our grandmother's generation.
Speaker 1: But then why is it now overtaking heart disease.
Speaker 2: Because we're better at treating heart disease, so people aren't dying of that, they're living into their nineties, and so they're more likely to get dementia in their nineties. But we're going to be less likely to get it because we're living healthier up until that point. Ok So someone who was born in nineteen hundred, like you look at a woman born in nineteen hundred, she might have left school at twelve. I was still at university when I was twenty five, So we've got the number of years of education you have as an incredibly important protective factor. She may have smoked, drunk, had a really stressful life and not had very intellectually challenging kind of stimulating life, never done any exercise, had diabetes that was perhaps untreated, you know, been very metabolically unwell, and so she's much more likely to develop Alzheimer's disease than say I am. But we've got more old people alive. So we've got this prevalence problem and healthy wealthy countries, but the incidents in healthy wealthy countries is going down. We've got less people flowing in, but an sort of lower socioeconomic countries, incidence is increasing and the prevalence is increasing. Yeah, so we've got to be careful when we talk about statistics, how we make meaning of that in terms of individual risks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I've also got some good news for you around the prevention and delay of dementia. So an updated Lancet Commission from twenty twenty four now identifies fourteen modifiable risk factors. It used to be twelve apparently, but now it's fourteen. So these are modifiable, so we can impact them or change them. That together, if we modify and manage them well, can prevent or delay up to forty five percent of dementia cases, which is crazyally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think globally is really important to realize there, like across the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and a lot.
Speaker 2: Of that burden of risk has carried and you know the load.
Speaker 1: Right. Let me list out these fourteen modifiable risk factors, and for a listener sitting here, you can say which of these you think the levers you're pulling pretty well and which you might want to be able to focus on and put them into categories. So the first one is early life and environment, so that covers low education, so to your point earlier, if someone's uneducated or going to university till they're twenty five, So low education and air pollution that's in that category.
Speaker 2: And air pollution is a really tough one for an individual to change. Yeah, it's modifiable, but perhaps not modifiable for a person.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. So. Then the second bucket is lifestyle and behavior. So we've got risk factors physical inactivity, smoking, and excessive alcohol intake. So the next bucket is brain and sensory health, so untreated vision loss, traumatic brain injury, which you could also argue is not modifiable, but at least if you're wearing a helmet or not, you know, don't climb a ladder. Yeah, yeah, don't write a hood play. Yeah. And the third one in that brain and sensory health is hearing loss, and that's the new one. There's two new ones.
Speaker 2: Loss and hearing loss, hearing life. Yeah, hearing is seven percent. Yeah, this is globally, which is enormous.
Speaker 1: By the way. Fun fact, if you own a pair of Apple air pods, they now come with an in built standardized hearing tests, do they Yes, I did it on myself the other day. Yeah. My left is worse than my right here. So that was the bucket of brain and sensory health. So then the last two buckets cardio metabolic health. So that's high blood pressure, type two, diabetes and obesity. Okay, so you want to avoid those. And then the final bucket is mental and social well being, which is depression and social isolation. And sorry, the other one in the cardio metabolic the new one I forgot to mention is high LDL cholesterol. So they're the two new additions, the hearing loss and the high LDL cholesterol, which I.
Speaker 2: Think are an enormous way.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I often talk about like those old fashioned scales, if you imagine the weights like each of those risk factors, like maybe you're at UNI until you were thirty, but you smoke. Yeah, you've kind of got weights on either side of the risk.
Speaker 1: Just to make it clear for my listeners, I'll pop those fourteen risk factors in the show notes and maybe you can just sit and read them and just reflect. There's probably a lot you can tick and go, yeah, I'm cooking with gas on those, But then there's a couple of way, like you really want to focus on those. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dottysmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight, am I inflamed, insulin resistant, or maybe missing key nutrients. Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. But I wanted to ask you, as you know, for a woman in midlife, of these fourteen risk factors, do you think there are any we need to particularly pay close attention to if we want to lower our risk of dementia? Like, is there a couple there that you just go, oh my gosh, you really want to manage? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Look, I really think the hearing loss is completely underrecognized because it's not very sixy Yes, so it doesn't there's not these like glossy, charismatic hearing loss influences. I mean they probably are, but they're not reaching like midlife women because we're only being told if you take hormone therapy, job done. So.
Speaker 1: I even felt funny doing the hearing tests on myself the other day. I was like, I hope no one's watching that. I don't want to tell anyone that I'm taking a hearing test. It makes me sound really old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a lot of stigma around that, and it could just be you know you went to too many concerts when you were young. Well, you know your work in construction. You know, there's and what happens when you aren't hearing, You're losing you know, that sense of connection and communication and interaction with the world around you. So you kind of withdraw into yourself. So you're reducing all of the sensory stimulation. Plus there's the added cognitive load of like trying to hear people and trying to pay attention to conversations. So there's kind of a few different sort of pathways which and which that.
Speaker 1: And also it's a bit of an easy fix if you think about it, if you have been diagnosed with hearing loss. There's so many options of aids.
Speaker 2: Aren't what they used to be. Like, everyone's got them hopped up to the you know, their phones, and some people even have just them on the end of the glasses. There's lots of really great interventions there, and I think it's very underrecognized and we need some really beautiful people to talk about that on Instagram. Well we're doing that right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, I kept my hearing results because I thought I'm going to retest this every year. Yeah, to track and see if I'm seeing a hearing loss decline, because I'm curious to know if it's healthy now, where's it going to be in five years? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And another thing I think because it talks about education there, and obviously once you've aged fifty, you can't go back and readlive your life again, right, But the idea of like staying intellectually and cognitively stimulated and engaged with the world is incredibly important. And we know that people who you know, kind of maintain those cognitive test schools, they maintain they're kind of their verbal recall, their kind of mental maths ability. They're good vocab, you know, they're good at the word as they are. The people that kind of keep on doing these things, they don't sort of stop. They're still reading, you know, the literary fiction, the Book of Prize when they are still engaged and reasonably intellectually and cognitively challenging work. They haven't kind of stopped doing that.
Speaker 1: Where I'm confused with that. I'd love your thoughts on doing those cognitive actstivities like Sudoku, word all, etc. Versus having purpose, Like if someone's sitting here and they do all those things, and maybe they're learning a language or whatever. Compared to someone who sits on a board or who is part of a not for profit or who is doing something that has a large sense of purpose in their life. Would you say it doesn't really matter, like if you're just spending your day reading some articles in the paper, doing your cognitive you know, word all and sudoku, or do you feel like it needs to be attached to something that has a big purpose and meaning to you.
Speaker 2: I mean lots of people get a lot of purpose and meaning out of a crossword or word or business like. It can be a bit of a social aspecture. I think it's about the cognitive friction and kind of challenging your intellect and finding ways to continue.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 2: But you do have to be careful that you know, you don't overburden yourself that you kind of burn yourself out. But it's about that bit of friction. Yeah, it's a little bit like exercising.
Speaker 1: You need a bit of a challenge.
Speaker 2: Just go and left to two kilo wait every single day for ten years and not keep on increasing the load. It's about having a bit of challenge and if that challenge, I mean my mum wouldn't go and sit on a board, but you know she might do you know, a cross words.
Speaker 1: We are very competitive in my word or chat right, and my mum's always the first one of the day, and yesterday she got it in three and so my competitive side was like, I've got to get it in cred goes as.
Speaker 2: Well because it's kind of social and that kind of keeps the motivation. And it's not just doing each other. And it's just not just doing word or just doing sudocal just and I mean, stay away from online brain training if you've got a disk job and you're better off to go.
Speaker 1: For a rum.
Speaker 2: But it's about continuing that intellectual and cognitive challenge and stimulation throughout the lifespan, not just thinking, well, I leave school when I was fifteen, I can't really do much else about it.
Speaker 1: If you were listening to this episode today and you have a family history of these neuro degenerative diseases such as dementia, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and you really want to do everything you can personally to delay or prevent it, what would you do in this situation?
Speaker 2: I would you would do all of the things you've got to kind of make sure that you've not just think of my grand got Alzheimer's disease when she was eighty. It's about understanding, perhaps also the difference between do you have a particular gene which increases your rists?
Speaker 1: A po E four four is a test for.
Speaker 2: But typically in Australia we're just not going to randomly test. I mean, you can probably pay one of these longevity clinics now to test at four.
Speaker 1: You can ice screen does.
Speaker 2: If you have like got a shitload of money.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it's somewhere between three to five hundred.
Speaker 2: Vast majority of people aren't paying for that.
Speaker 1: So what happens if you get so you say you take this test to see if you have a po E four and it's it's not even you've got like one a lievel or two earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, and I think it was Chris Hemsworth did this time. Yeah yeah, and show you're still going to be doing exactly the same thing types of things is what you would do if you hadn't got it ten.
Speaker 1: And if you have, they're the one, you know, the one or the two alleles which you know increases your risk by x percent. Doesn't mean you're going to get dementia. And if you come back with not carrying the genes doesn't mean you're not going.
Speaker 2: To be you know, like, is it gonna you know, tip the scales in your favor the odds in your favor or not in your favorites. And like instance disease where if you've got like, you know, this particular gene for Huntington's disease, you will get Huntington's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or like bracker even like the evidence around bracker for breast cancer is stronger. So if you're you know, if you've got lots of money and you're interested in longevity, sure go and take your test. You're going to do it. You're gonna have to take them.
Speaker 2: You're still going to have to do all the same things. And there might be down the track there might be more interventions. So when it's still super early days where people are like, you know, will taking the g LP ones, is that gonna like reduce people's risks who have the genes versus don't have the genes, And it perhaps looks and because the apoe gene is coding for a protein which is involved with kind of lipid transport, so it's not just outzhider disease risks. All of that kind of cardiovascular metabolic health is all kind of mixed up in there.
Speaker 1: So it's really those fourteen So you're still.
Speaker 2: Going to have to do the same things. That might be more motivating for you, but some people might not find that motivating. I think we also need to be quite careful and thoughtful about when we do genetic testing. Is that you understand one the insurance implications. Are you going to then have to declare it if you're like changing private health insurance providers? What does that implication? Does that mean for family members who may or may not want to get tested? If you know you've got a particular gene, does that mean your mum or your dad or your kids are going to have it? And what implications does that have for their kind of informed consent about knowing about that. So I think it's kind of easy to throw caution to the wind and go and get tested for all of the things. But is that going to change, you know, a treatment plan or an outcome. In time, I think we probably will get to the point where we will have much more precision, individualized medicine for these people. But right now, You're still going to have to get your ass to the gym, You're still going to have to manage to sleep, You're still going to have to get your colored stroll checked.
Speaker 1: Okay. So here's another scenario for you. You are carrying an extra twenty kilos of weight, and you have done for a long time, and you've got close family members that have had dementia, and you've tried to lose weight before, and it's quite stubborn. Would you go on a GLP one.
Speaker 2: We have absolutely no expertise in the space, so I couldn't comment one way or another.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean.
Speaker 2: I'd have to be a medic who is an expert on.
Speaker 1: And also no one really knows because we don't know the long don't implications of you know, is the medication itself going to actually be helpful for preventing dementia or is there other factors?
Speaker 2: Say it's a checking moment. The little bit of data that I'm familiar with is it's probably reducing your risk. We don't know whether it's reducing your risk via some direct you know, is.
Speaker 1: Somehow mechanism, or that you've lost the weight and is it the knock on effix see are lots of sort of steps or.
Speaker 2: Dominos in between. I mean, the other question which we haven't really kind of touched on, is the idea about HRT for menopause symptoms and dementia, because that's a really big one, and that's not in that Lancet commission. That wasn't sex true, that wasn't well, they looked at it. It wasn't a heavy enough weight. There wasn't enough evidence to recommend for or against it. So people think, oh, women's health, it's been neglected. We're not studying it, we're not looking at it. They didn't look at it. That's why it's not only there. They looked at it. They reviewed the data. They said, right now, the data doesn't say that we should tell women to.
Speaker 1: Take it as a preventatives prevent and.
Speaker 2: It also doesn't say we should tell women not to take it, right because it's like some studies got, oh, I increase your rest depending on what kind of hit you're taking, what agency. Some of the studies say it decreases your risk. A lot of them are kind of net neutral, and they were kind of like, the data isn't there for us to put it in a recommendation. That doesn't mean that women were ignored. That means they looked at the data and we're not putting it in this.
Speaker 1: Well, look, we've got fourteen factors to focus on. Yeah, so that's enough. I'm going to sit down and study these and look at which ones I could probably improve on. I think you're probably doing okay.
Speaker 2: And I also think I just want to say, you know, you can do all of the right things. It's like you could never smoke a cigarette and ge lung cancer. Some people still get diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease or other diseases of brain aging. And I think we need to be very careful when we're talking so much about demitia rest that we don't stigmatize people that have problem mild cognitive decline, have family members with Alzheimer's or dementia. There's still people that we can love and care about and have value. And I don't think that our entireme mi life focus should be a dementia risk reduction project. We've got to have a bit of joy and I've got not just like a long health span and a lifespan, but you know, there's these ideas of a joy span, and I think that we kind of do run the risk of throwing a little bit of kind of ageism in there as well, assuming that like these last years of our lives are going to be terrible. Oh no, we need a bit of grace, I think for ourselves and for the other people out there that are going through stuff.
Speaker 1: I love that that is such.
Speaker 2: It's not it doesn't feel very I don't know, heartfelt to me to always be talking about avoid dementia at all costs, because it's the worst thing that can happen. It is a terrible thing. But let's give a bit of grace to the people who are.
Speaker 1: Going through that. Oh, doctor Sarah, such a beautiful note to end on. Thank you so much. You're welcome. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dottyasmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot Health or check out the show notes for more