Speaker 1: Welcome to How Today Afford That, the podcast that peaks into the financial lives of every day Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Breed, and as always, I am joined in the studio by financial planner Cannack Campbell, the founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform that you will find everywhere YouTube, podcast, books, Instagram, threads, TikTok and more.
Speaker 2: Hello, Canna, Hello, it's suit of a mouthful.
Speaker 1: It certainly is well one day soon, I'm going to shorten that. I'm just going to just describe you as being universally present. I feel like, really, yeah, okay, next time, you know, I'm gonna forget the next time I'm going to launch into the whole spiel again. Today's episode, it is going to be slightly uncomfortable, but it is equally important.
Speaker 2: Very important, particularly right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Indeed, if you lost your job tomorrow, how long could you comfortably last? Is it going to be a week, a month, six months, a year?
Speaker 2: Maybe indefinitely? Because you've built financial independence.
Speaker 1: Today we are talking about financial resilience. This isn't about fear and it's not intended to be too negative. It is just about preparation and the peace of mind that comes from knowing that you are prepared if.
Speaker 2: Something happens, and the practical steps that you will be really glad that you took regardless of whatever happens.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it is that that kind of job loss resilience really is what we're talking about here. It's something that people avoid thinking about. Is it just that we don't even want to comprehend that, Hey, something that gives us so much security and is so much a part of kind of who we are and what we do could actually end well.
Speaker 2: I think it's because it forces us to confront uncertainty, and our brains are always wired to seek comfort and just try and be positive and obviously think that everything's going to be fine, it's going to sort itself out. We don't need to worry. So, you know, thinking about a job loss, it feels uncomfortable, it feels incredibly pessimistic. But the thing is preparing for it isn't actually about fear. It's actually about creating a sense of peace of mind so that no matter what happens either way, you'll always be Okay, you'll be able to get back on your feet again. And financial resilience is actually one of the best things and most empowering things you can ever do for yourself because it gives you a sense of confidence and strength that you can actually handle to a certain degree sudden unexpected changes. And you know, life is rarely perfect, it is really predictable. So by having a bit of a backup plan to the side allows you to be able to navigate stressful times with a greater sense of you know, resilience and strength.
Speaker 1: Is there a difference in that case because I understand all of that that makes affects sense, this idea that we actually don't want to confront this because it is something that is it makes us uncomfortable, the idea that it can all go, the value of actually doing it, Yeah, got it. But is there a difference between kind of panic planning and going, oh, things are looking a little bit shaky at work, I need to get a plan in place, or just getting kind of frantic about the idea that your job could go. And then this idea of perhaps smart long term preparation. What's the difference between those?
Speaker 2: So the difference is reactionary versus proactive. Okay, so when we are reactive, we're normally forced into a situation, possibly out of the blue, and we become irrational and our emotions are running high, and we often make decisions which aren't necessarily the smartest and best decisions for us. You know, we're almost in like a sense of survival mode and the adrenaline kicks in. But when we are being proactive, we have done the work in preparation, we have built up the emergency savings. We are able to handle the situation with grace, with dignity, but we're also able to be calm and make smart, intelligent decisions that allow us to move forward, to outgrow the situation and to continue on getting back on our feet again and building our lives.
Speaker 1: All Right, it is time to talk about emergency money because that is going to be one of the key components of this resilience, right, having emergency money saved up ready to go in the event that everything changes. And this isn't just for job loss. This is for in the event of something else big that happens that affects your ability to earn an income. Yes, that you are covered with emergency money. How much of an emergency buffer should we realistically be aiming for. And I know the easiest way to provoke right now is to say it's just two months of your salary, right or something along those even.
Speaker 2: I'm going to like jump across the desk and throttle you for saying that is not this arbitrary number and it's not this you know, generic formula. What is right for someone is different for the other person.
Speaker 1: You've got to look very satisfying, like you've got to look.
Speaker 2: At your own individual situation and the risks and the responsibilities that you carry. You know, for example, you know, a single parent looking after say three children, carrying the bulk with the financial responsibilities and is perhaps self employed, needs a lot more emergency money than say a twenty two year old that's studying and perhaps living at home. You know, if you were to use those generic formulas, you know, you run the risk of the young person having too much an emergency money and it's not an efficient use of funds. And then you run the risk of the single mother being exposed to financial risk. She would or he would potentially need significantly more money set aside. So as a guide, what I suggest people do is sit down and look at their situation, and look at the safety nets they've got, things like sickly annual leab a humulity, perhaps even long service leave, what savings they already have established, you know what, things like income protection insurance policies they have in place as well. And look at what their living expenses obviously come into this as well. But look at what are three possible the three most expensive I should say possible risks that could actually happen. And then what is the cost of each of those three And what is the total cost of all of these things if they were to happen at the same time.
Speaker 1: So hypothetically that would be And in this scenario where we're talking about losing your job, let's say you might factor in losing your job tomorrow and it taking you three months, for instance, to find a suitable replacement. So you're kind of factoring in the ability to continue to pay for all of your normal expenses, your mortgage, your groceries, your bills, and putting that as well one of your expenses. Then you're looking at something else, which might be.
Speaker 2: Say, for example, we were car breaking down and there's a three thousand dollar bill and you need your car to be able to get to work and to get the kids to school.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It is a genuine essential expense, emergency expense, so that you'd add that into the list, and then perhaps a medical expense where you need to go and get a series of scans and tests. And I tore my ACL in October and I had knee surgery in December, and I think I was out of pocket. I think almost twelve thousand dollars. Wow, So you know, these are the sorts of things we think about. And a cockroach jumped on me like that. It wasn't like I slipped and had an accident or it was playing you know, professional sport or something glamorous like that.
Speaker 1: Was it a cockroach that did that? Tea? I mean, I was very It must have been a very heavy cockroach to it.
Speaker 2: I was naked and jumped on my inner thigh because I just got another shower. Yeah, So people like that's a bit of a stupid overreaction. I'm like, no, I was actually naked. It jumped on my in a thigh like and it was huge. It was the world's biggest cockroach and it flew across the room. It was like it was an omen like it was running away from me. It stopped, looked at me, and I was thinking, do I go get the spray or do I just deal with it another time? And as I'm thinking staring at it, it was very tired. It jumped on me.
Speaker 1: It lunged.
Speaker 2: My leg went one way and my body went the other. And I heard it and like felt it. It was horrible, But there you go. Like private health insurance, yes, helped cover like stay in hospital, but everything else I was out of pocket a lot of money.
Speaker 1: How though, do you factor that? Are you using this as an example? How do you plan for something that is and there is no way in the world that you could predict the arrival of a particularly malicious cockroach, right, so how on earth do you budget for that in terms of your emergency money? Going? Okay, I will factory in twelve thousand dollars for cockroach attack. It could just as easily have been having to budget twenty thousand dollars for if I kind of slip over in the garden and crack your head open or something like, you know what I mean. Like these are all so hypothetical and theoretical that it's almost impossible to narrow it down to what you should be budgeting for.
Speaker 2: Look, your imagination could go wild here, It certainly can. And interesting when I shared this video about all the expenses I could, I had so many people reach out to me with similar stories where they sort of sappened with a spider or a lizard or a snake in the garden and they tripped over because you know, it was actually quite common. Surprisingly, But this is why I say go with three, because of course, you know you're just helping giving yourself a bit of financial protection. We cannot predict what's going to happen in order we actually want to attract or manifest, you know, prophesize this stuff happening to us. But by looking at your three most expensive, at least you've got something close to what that cost could end up being, rather than nothing at all. You know, you're not going to come up with the exact perfect figure. But also when you have this emergency money there, you will know whether that's enough and whether it's right for you, and whether it gives you that sense of stability and security. And you know I've shared this before. You know we had seventy thousand dollars emergency money for our family in frugal February a couple of years, it all got wiped out as well as additional extra savings in one month. So you know, you've got to take this seriously. And you know, the whole point about this emergency money is it makes you financially resilient. Just like if you're building a house. You know, if there's a storm that comes through, whether it be a fire, rain, or wind, the house might be a little bit damaged. But because you've got emergency money, the damage isn't too bad, and it's quickly and easily fixable and allows you to get back on your feet and living in the house of your dreams as you were previously.
Speaker 1: On that point though, when you say you had seventy thousand dollars in emergency money, someone hearing that would just that it's a rage that's impossible.
Speaker 2: That took years and years of building up.
Speaker 1: And this is what I wanted to get at. This is this is where we go back to that difference between panic planning and smart preparation. That this is not about oh Okay, things are looking shaky at work, I better start planning now. This is ideally something that hey, if everything's great for you at work at the moment, and that's not really a risk start anyway, because five years time, ten years down the track, maybe things will be different and you've actually attacked it then from a point of preparation rather than not exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know, I mean that would have been like eight years probably of building that money up and then having to go back and start all over again, you know, And even I'm still I am still in the process of rebuilding our emergency money, you know, after having to start over again. But the thing is, at least there's something there, and it's slowly and it sits in our officeter council. It helps, it is actually working with us, and that it helps save interest off the home loan. But you know, as it's slowly builds, you do feel that you feel a lot more comfortable and safe and secure.
Speaker 1: Okay, And also the fact that when you hear seventy thousand dollars right, but keep in mind, yes it is, it does sound like a lot of money to have there. But if you are combining the three biggest risks that you might be looking at, say three months of lost income from losing your job, and already that is going to be a significant lack of money and maybe twenty thousand dollars for emergency surgery or something else.
Speaker 2: And also got to take into consideration the consequence, the financial consequence of not having emergency money. So, for example, Tom and I are both self employed, and Tom is actually an equine physio, so he's around horses. His job is very very physical. If a horse can suddenly snap and jump and he gets injured, that could potentially mean that we lose our house. So there are serious financial consequences. And that's what again why emergency money is needed.
Speaker 1: Okay, very quick break, So I want to talk about the other components that beyond that big chunk of savings that ideally you would have, but the other things that can help build that financial resilience. Back in a moment cano we've been talking about financial resilience and this idea that if you lost your job tomorrow, how long would you last? Are you going to be able to get by a week, a month, six months? Not knowing how long it will take to find a new job, especially in certain industries where there is a lot of change coming through, particularly with AI, that it's quite uncertain.
Speaker 2: And also it's not about finding a job. It's about finding the right job for you where you actually will enjoy the work. You've been compensated fairly. You've also got the same future career paths that you don't need to worry about losing your job again. You know, these things do come into play.
Speaker 1: So beyond savings and having that big chunk of cash sitting there, ideally in an offset account, and having it in cash so that you can access it when you need it. You mentioned in passing insurances and the idea of income protection insurance. What role do they play here really important?
Speaker 2: You know, it's the other side. We always talk about wealth creation. This is about wealth protection. So you know, it's a policy, like an income protection policy pays up to seventy five percent of your income if you can't work due to a medical reason. That means that if you get sick and you cannot work because you've got to recover, you've got to do treatment, insurance company is going to help give you, will give you the money seventy five percent of your income, which is obviously taxable, but it means you can maintain you know, the mortgage repayments or the rant and keep putting food on the table, So again it adds that element of financial stability, and then things like trauma cover as well, which is another important form of insurance. And then you've got the TVD and life power, which we've spoken about another episodes. So that's a really important part. But also you're forgetting about the importance of you know, a good budget and cash throw system because you when you have that, well, you also have an element of functional resilience and security because you know what your living expenses are and should an emergency happen, you know, okay, well we're going to need this much money to get through X amount of months until we're back on our feet again. As well.
Speaker 1: With income protection insurance, is that mostly for if you injure yourself or there is something that's preventing you from doing your job or does it still exist if you lose your job, are you able to still receive income protection payments? Then?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, no, it is related to a medical reason, so whether it be an injury like an accident or an illness. And I believe this is an old step, but I believe in the claims only five percent of the claims are actually related to an accident. Most of the claims are related to illnesses, right, yeah, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: That is okay, where do you find that balance between kind of reducing your expenses and building up savings kind of is the goal here really to try and maintain your lifestyle that if you were to lose your job tomorrow. Is it about cutting back all of your expenses and trying to kind of minimize things, or should the priority be to build up your safety net so that you can maintain your lifestyle in the event of your having a period of unemployment.
Speaker 2: I think it's very situational. Okay, So if you know that there are warning signs that your job is in jeopardy, you should definitely be prioritizing building up that emergency money as quickly as possible, which means obviously going back to the budget, looking at what you can temporarily cut out or cut down, and then redirecting those funds to a separate savings account, a redow facility or an offset account is a great way to hold that money if you have a home. But if you're sitting in a safe, secure position, you think, well, okay, I get it, I do need emergency money, don't have any I need to get started. Just look at your budget and set up a regular savings plan, for example, two hundred dollars per week if you can afford that, Because by the end of the year, if you're automated and you stick to it, there's ten thousand dollars sitting in that account, which you haven't had to think too hard about making happen other than programming it and planning it in your budget.
Speaker 1: Okay, is that then the best way to just get started in terms of if you're feeling a bit overwhelmed hearing this and honestly hearing that emergency money can sometimes be fifty sixty seventy thousand dollars sitting in an account. I understand that would be overwhelming to hear that, But how do you build that security without feeling overwhelmed by it?
Speaker 2: So you just focus on short term, small amounts of money. So you would say yourself, Okay, by the end of July twenty twenty six, I want to have a thousand dollars saved up. And then once you've got that thousand dollars, you then do the same process again. You go, ok well, I want to take it from a thousand dollars to fifteen hundred dollars. But if you invest some time can understanding what that money represents, you know the why behind that money. It's not just a oh my gosh, I've got to have ten thousand dollars emergency money. It's actually I'm building this because this is going to make sure that I don't go back financially, I don't undo all of the hard work that I've done with my own financial journey so far. Will you'll take it a lot more seriously, and you'll also be because of that, a lot more open to opportunities to save more money, to put more money into that sooner so that you can actually tip that box off and then go back to all the other things that actually add value to our lives financially, but also add further financial resilience through something like investing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So one thing, then, if someone's listening to this, they can start right now in order to improve the financial safety nets that they have around them is just to start saving.
Speaker 2: Small amounts of money on a regular basis, that habit, that consistency, and that will build and compound into a decent savings amount. And I mean, as I said, it took I think eight years for us to build up that emergency money. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other good piece of advice would probably be to get your house sprayed for pervert cockroaches that attack you when you are most vulnerable.
Speaker 2: It's a real trigger every time I see a cockroach.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised. That sounds most traumatic. All right, if anybody wants more information, also, actually sorry, I will mention before we go too far. Financial planners, this is something that you specialize in, that building these safety nets and ensuring that the emergency money is there, but that you have the right combination of insurances in place. That a financial planner. The value of speaking to a professional here, it is extraordinary.
Speaker 2: And the financial planner can be you know, play Devil's Out for good and say to you, right, Michael, what would happen if this got shut down tomorrow? And what would happen if this happened? You know, like they can throw scenarios at you, and you know they're quite uncomfortable questions, but it does make you really wow. I hadn't thought of those risks, and yes there are real risks, and I want to protect myself and my found me against these things from happening. No, no, one has ever regretted having emergency money? Ye indeed?
Speaker 1: Okay for you more information, where do we find you?
Speaker 2: The best place you can contact with me directly is through Instagram at Sugar Mama TV.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news you can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. And the best thing you can do is actually tell somebody else, perhaps send them a link to this episode and help spread the word. Thanks for your company. Join us again next week