Speaker 1: It feels weird to be adding a chop toop, drinking a coke while crying because you're so scared.
Speaker 2: A chok top at a horror movie is an insane choice.
Speaker 1: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey.
Speaker 2: You like it here?
Speaker 1: What do you like about this place?
Speaker 2: Lamaran and Tamerfia stuck in the sill.
Speaker 1: There's something scary about small towns that sense you're never quite alone. Throw in some unsuspecting outsiders, a gaggle of curtain twitching provincial medalers and some deep seated prejudice and you're on the way to the hottest Australian film of the moment. Leviticus is by award winning director Adrian Curella and tells the story of two teenagers subjected to conversion therapy by the remnants of a Pentecostal community in a one time Victorian industrial boomtown.
Speaker 3: Indecency, lust, desire, He has to go now, look at the line.
Speaker 1: Leviticus premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah earlier this year. It was snapped up by film distributor Neon for seven figures and now it's terrifying audiences in cinemas around the globe. Horror is hot, specifically Australian horror. To explain with her hands over her eyes is our entertainment writer Jordie Gray.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's terrifying. It's terrifying in a way that Australian films are uniquely scary. But yes, I absolutely love it. I think it's going to be a future classic Australian horror film.
Speaker 1: What is that feeling that we get in horror movies and how much do you think it's fueled by the music and the experience of being in a cinema rather than watching it on your phone or watching it at home.
Speaker 2: You absolutely get more scared in the cinema and I think that's possibly why horror movies are overperforming at the box office, because you don't want to watch them alone, so you go with groups of people because they are frightening, and you go in consenting to be frightened. I don't know why we do it, like why do we want to be horrified? But I think that's just something to be in that dark space with that booming sound system and just like hearing the collective intakes of breath that it's yeah, going to horror is an experience.
Speaker 1: It must be bad for the candy bar sales though, because it feels weird to be eating a choktop or drinking a coke while crying because you're so scared.
Speaker 2: A chock top at a horror movie is an insane choice.
Speaker 1: Getting a screening at Sundance very impressive to me, and Levity Kiss has got one too. Right.
Speaker 2: There is this session at Sundan it's called the Midnight Section, which it's in the name, and many Australian films have premiered there. So we had talked to me. We had sow oh, doctor Gordon, I want to play a game James Wand's film, which I think is technically an American production, but it was adapted from an Australian short film, and we're going to collect that this indigenous Australian horror. The Moogui premiere there.
Speaker 4: They've seen children with white eyes, the children stolen by the Mugui. Sometimes we escape, sometimes we don't.
Speaker 2: The Bubbadouk Premiere, the sun Dance are actively seeking out Australian horror, and Australian horror is being bored by these distributors. So this movie Leviticus, that premiered at Sundance earlier this year and has been released this week, was bought by Neon, who distributed Parasite, that Oscar Gobbling Sensation and Anora, which also one best picture of the Oscars. It's huge for these kind of low to midrange budget Australian movies to premiere at Sundance because the whole of the industry is that all the horror directors go and are a part of it, and it gives them like the biggest chance to succeed on like an international stage.
Speaker 1: The Bubbadook was really scary. Issie Davis plays a grieving widow, a mother who is dealing with the loss of her husband and trying to deal with the grief of her son and failing to get through it very successfully. They start reading a book that has mysteriously appeared on the shelf about a creepy kind of figure called the Bubbaduk, and then the Bubbadok starts appearing in the house.
Speaker 5: If it's in a word or it's in a look, you can't get rid of the Bubba Duck. His name is mister Bubbaduk and this is his book a rumbling sound, then three sharp knocks.
Speaker 1: It is so scary. It's kind of all about what's inside your head too, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And what grief can do to you?
Speaker 1: Did the Bubbletok do well at the box office?
Speaker 2: So The Bubbadock is an interesting film because it wasn't a massive box office success, but it is often credited as a film that ushered in this era of grown up horror or elevated horror people like to call it, which has kind of taken the place of like prestige drama. So the Bubbadock was first, and then we had American films like Hereditary, Jordan Peele's film get Out, and they are films that address very real things trauma and race, and.
Speaker 1: They're not pitched at sort of eighteen year old boys. Is that the difference is that what makes it elevated, that it's not trying to just make you terrified.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not just like splat. Yeah, they are dealing with meti films. I think they are pitched at grown ups, but young people like them too. Affectability prodress now vanity spawned.
Speaker 5: By fear.
Speaker 2: Waken friyt is debatably because some people don't think it's a horror but it is debatably our first horror film. So it came out in nineteen seventy one. There was a blanket ban on Australian horror films from nineteen forty eight to nineteen sixty eight, so it was kind of the first horror movie out the gate.
Speaker 1: Why horror? Why was horror band?
Speaker 2: So in nineteen forty eight it was banned by the Chief Censor, jo Alexander, who said this type of film has no cultural entertainment value. Its appeal only extends to a very limited section of the community whose mental outlook should not be fed with films of this nature. In addition, such films are a source of potential danger to women in a delicate state of health, could be hysteria, could be pregnancy, who knows, but just being female, just being dangerous, fragile state of being a woman, which is funny because women are driving the box offic sales for horror films now so so Waking for It came out in nineteen seventy one. It was actually made by a Canadian director, Ted Kotrov, but it was based on an Australian novel and set amongst the Ltback and it's just this barbaric, alcohol fueled descent into hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A teacher who is stuck in this booky town can't get back to Sydney, and the locals kind of draw him into their clutches, don't they.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's I honestly think it's one of our scariest horror films.
Speaker 1: It's very bloody and there is a little splatter as well, like there's a horrifying kangaroo hunt scene which should make anyone a vegetarian.
Speaker 2: Oh no, absolutely, and it was real. Obviously it was real. It was the seventies they went doing cgi Kangaroos and Australia hated it. We really rejected it. There is this anecdote about like one of the early screenings and a guy standing up and saying that's not us, and another actor being like it is rte So we really rejected that movie. It went to Kahn where nominated for a Grand Prix, which is the audience award, But afterwards it was almost lost forever and it only saved because of Muttin Scorsesey here champion to restoration effort.
Speaker 1: Horror is kind of having a moment, isn't it internationally. The back Rooms is one that I'm way too scared to go and see.
Speaker 2: Why'd you feel me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Follow my lead, Like, what is this? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: I've been every night since I found the place, and I still barely scratch the surface.
Speaker 1: That's a movie adaptation really of a meme or an idea that's lurked around on the Internet for a long time of scary spaces, kind of around the edges or in between things, liminal spaces. Gen Z has freaked itself out about the train platform, weird corridor kind of part of Parts of the World. Tell us a little bit about the back Rooms and why that is drawing young people to the cinema.
Speaker 2: I think Backrooms is interesting because it is based on a collectively owned ip that belongs to everyone.
Speaker 1: You mean, like a scary idea that's haunting a whole generation of people.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like folklore. I feel like these creepy pastas is what they call them. This bite sized horror stories are Internet folklore. The fact it made more money than Wuthering Heights, and I think unless you were super tapped into this weird online liminal community, no one knew what backrooms was.
Speaker 1: It got a really kind of slick production, didn't it. Chewitel Edgy of four was the star. He's so compelling and magnetic. An amazing set where they recreated this space that had been photographed and someone posted a picture on an Internet forum of kind of a disused office back room with dodgy carpet and horrible wallpaper that seemed to stretch on forever. You can understand why that's a scary premise. But they managed to turn that very simple idea into a whole universe of scariness, didn't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's super interesting because it's like, how did a photo of a Wisconsin hobby shop being renovated become a one hundred million dollar box office juggernaut. So the director of Backrooms is this twenty year old called Caine Parsons. He started making these backroom shorts at home when he was sixteen, so he's he's a first time filmmaker. He's given a budget of ten million dollars, and I think this Studio twenty four were just like, we trust you make this movie because you know what the backroom's law is. And I feel like so many movies try so hard to appeal to gen Z, but they have no gen Z creatives behind it, and by handing the reins to this kid that was born in two thousand and five, which makes me feel sick to my stomach.
Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just feel like it's connected with young people.
Speaker 1: What a clever choice by A twenty four to fund these and they're associated with some of these other horror films, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, absolutely, they are kind of trailblazers in that space. A twenty four bought the Australian horror film Tork to Me, which was directed by these two twins in Adelaide, Danny and Michael Philippho, who kind of got their start making amazingly stupid YouTube prank videos like Ronald McDonald massacre. And they, alongside Courseway Pictures, which is an Australian production house, made this movie Talk to Me for like four point five million dollars. A twenty four boarded at Sundance after at premiere at the Midnight Section, and it went on to make ninety million dollars and was A twenty four's highest grossing horror film until Back Rooms.
Speaker 6: Light the candle to open the door, blow it Out. To close it, puts your hand on it. Now say.
Speaker 2: Talk to me.
Speaker 1: There's so many movies that when I was we were thinking about doing this interview with you, and I was looking back at the movies that have scared me the most, from Misery to seven to the sixth Sense, and a lot of them when I google them to remember what they were actually about, are not regarded as horror by horror purists. Is there a bit of controversy about what is actually horror and what's not.
Speaker 2: I think horror has been stigmatized for a very long time, so I feel like perhaps studios would have been reluctant to classify things as horror because there was a preconception that horror was kids stuff and it was somehow unworthy. And you get even in Australia, we've had these amazing horror films that were sort of trojaned into like serious dramas. I would say that Peter Wehirs, Picnic, It Hanging Rock horror film, the Last Way horror film, but they don't call them horror films. And I do think that just has a lot to do with stigma.
Speaker 1: What's the scariest thing you've ever seen on screen? I'm still recovering from when Gwyneth Paltrow's head was in the box since seven.
Speaker 2: You know what, I think, it's the original Omen. My mom made me watch that when I was far too young, and it terrified me.
Speaker 1: Why does she make you?
Speaker 2: Would you because she said the Jordy, you gotta know what a good horror movie is like. Also, I feel like the horror movies that scare us most say a lot about what we are scared of. I have a new answer. The movie that scares me the most is the original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis, and I think it scares me the most because it's fears irrational. You could be followed home by I mean, perhaps not a hockey mask wearing lunatic, but a lunatic no less.
Speaker 1: I think hockey master are hard to come by in Australian so true, Thank god. Jordy Gray is an entertainment reporter with The Australian. You can read her deep dive into the world of Australian horror, as well as all the latest in culture from around the world right now at the Australian dot com dot au slash culture. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey, produced by Kristin Amy, and edited by lead Samma Glue. Thanks for joining us on the front this week. Our team also includes Tiffany Dimack, Joshua Burton, and Jasper League, who wrote art theme