Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see a side of life the average person is never exposed to. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years, I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. If you listen to part one of my conversation with Gaz right, you'll know just how dark his life had gotten. From feared underworld figure to desperate junkie. His enemies smelt blood in the water, and they came for him, stabbings, beating, gunshots. Karma doesn't pull punches, and with serious jail time looming, Gaz faced a choice continue the downward spiral or leave his life with violence and crime. Behind, against all odds, he chose the latter. This is a story of how he did it. Gazz right, Welcome back to Part two of I Catch Killers. That's gay Part one not much fun taking you through all the heavy stuff. How does it feel reliving it?
Speaker 2: Ah, You know, I spoke to you prior to the interview. You know, I said, you know, some people have invited me to come on their podcast and they just want to hear the war stories. They want to hear the jail stabbings and the shootings and you know, all the stuff. And at the start of my I call it a healing journey, but some people would say, you know, social media journey. That's all I had to ifell is war stories. It just doesn't do it for me anymore. You know, it doesn't land. It doesn't stimulate me. You know, I get no endorphin hits from talking about the old life. I understand it's part of my story, got to sometimes tell it, but it doesn't interest me. Man, There's no passion for that life anymore. It's just part of my story. And like I said, I acknowledge that it is part of my story, and I wouldn't change it because it's made me who I am today. But what I'm doing is way bigger than anything I've ever done. From the streets.
Speaker 1: I understand that I look out in the true crime space because people are fascinated with it. But I think a large majority of people that fascinate with true crime have never really experienced it. So I understand that they want to look into the dark side of the world and see what's going on. I find the interest in looking a little bit deeper and seeing what comes out of it. I've seen the consequences of crime in the most horrible ways, but seeing the people who have come through that world, they're the things that rock my boat to how people can turn their life around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because some people, especially you would come from a lot of police officers have this mentality once a crime, always a crime. I'm pretty sure there's probably some ones out there that still think, Ay, it's just a front, it's just a throwoff washing money or who who knows what their thoughts are. But man, I know in my trice, in my heart, I know my journey, I know my story. No one knows it better than me. And you know, I've learned to love and not hate, and I've learned to help and not hurt. It's a beautiful thing. Man. I can honestly say I'm half a healed human and I'm doing the right thing the wrong thing, And it's all about leaving a legacy, you know, and resetting my comic debt. I know when I'm leave this world, I'm going to leave it. We've done more right than wrong.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was some bad times and now I did some wrong things. I was a nasty person. I'm not going to lie about it, but there's going to be a majority of being a good person that overrides that.
Speaker 1: Well. I encourage people if they can turn their life around, and I know what you're saying. And then in the cops is a fairly you know, black and white thinking we're doing the job, we're putting the bad guys away, and then you move on to the next thing. But I think society because now I'm a member of society. I'm not in the cops anymore. It benefits if people can turn their life around, because better off you healing yourself and contributing back to society. That is, still they aren't going to get harder in the world of crime.
Speaker 2: And then it comes to that of saying, you know, people want to be relatable, like, Okay, we go through a divorce and you're speaking to someone about going through a divorce and that person's never been through a divorce. Going through addiction and you're speaking to someone about your addiction, that person's never been addicted to drugs, it makes no sense. You know, if we've gone through issues in life or we're trying to grow, you want to talk to someone that's been through what you're going through.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a big believer in using life experiences to educate people. Whether it's at the juvenile stage, which is probably most important where you can steer them in the right direction, or whether it's at adult prison. Then you're an example of someone that can turn their life around when you're a low point. You've had the highs of the gangster, the loads of being a junkie, and you're sitting here and doing something worthwhile. We've got a couple of videos here. We've you getting your first job, because I think that that's important. Play it all and we'll count this in the podcast, but I just want you to have a look at this and talk talk me through it.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, a quick job update. The other day on the weekend, I was getting a couple of beers from the Bottlow just round the corner from my joy from my drive fruit and asked them to any jobs. They said, yeah, they're looking for work, so they'd be good. They wanted my resume. No, I wasn't ready to apply for a job. I just saw it. Pop in there and see what that said, and then so now go get my resume. So anyway, yeah, that sounds good. That'd be good that too. They'd be a good gig that one.
Speaker 1: I got the job.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm wrapped. I got the gig at the bottom shop. They invited me to join the team. Caught me up today, went down there. It's all good. He's what it is. But fucking I'm not going to lie. It's a bit daunting. Yeah, it's a bit daunting, it is. I don't know. The unknown is always fucking scary in that. But I'm pumped. You know, it's just a it's a positive direction, you know, positive start, man, leave that fucking off bind me.
Speaker 1: I can see the excitement on your face. Okay, you're obviously a different person from who you were. Then to hear how long ago were.
Speaker 2: That that's four years ago.
Speaker 1: Look at your proud of yourself struggling around. You've got yourself a job, You've become like a severe and playing taxes and all that sort.
Speaker 2: Of ironic thing is the job was at a bottle shop. So you know, I just walked away from a Korea pushing poison into my community and then becoming poison and so like, let's be honest. Alcohol is poison. It's just legal and it's run by the government. So what was I going to go do, you know, push poison for the government and think it was okay. My dad died from alcohol. He drank himself, So yeah, I mean, I don't think that was my truth. Linked Yeah, but it's ironic. When I was there's another video when I was actually handing in the resume to the bottle shop. I rang a mate. It was a little bit into social media, and he said, what are you doing. I was in Cans at that time, so I'd gone up to Cans to get a breath of fresh air, leave the life of addiction behind and life of crime. And anyway, I rang him and I said, he goes, what are you doing? I said, I'm just handing the resume to the bottle shop. I said, I'm trying to get a gig down here, so I get some money in my pocket and I said, you know, what are you up to? I said, oh, come see you for a coffee when I'm done. And he goes, are you documenting this? And I said, no, should I be? He goes, whoa ex criminal X drug addicts getting his first job handing the resume? Because social media loves that stuff. I said, okay, then I didn't have a clues. The first time I made accounts, I'd never had a social media account, was a pinch where I come from. And so I grabbed the phone and I started recording, and that when I'm actually handing in the resume, it went viral. And so the ironic thing is, you know, I look back on it now, I reckon, the red into the bottle shop wasn't the real resume. It was the resume into social media. I reckon, That's the truth of it. You know, that was the real path I was meant to take. And so yeah, once I got that viral video, you know, like any opportunists, which criminals are, I was going to take it by the balls and run with it.
Speaker 1: And you said, you didn't understand. I'm sure you didn't understand the impact of social media and the run with.
Speaker 2: All I knew is I spoke to my mate and all I knew is he broke it down like this. He said, Okay, you know you've got a brand. He said, your tattoo's that old life, You've got a story, you know, your dog all that's what we call a social media package. You know, you can build a brand off the back of that. Said, how many people do you think are going to show up for the next ten years and post every day? And then he goes, how many in Australia? How many people got in Australia? How many people you actually reckon they're going to do that small number? Who goes if you're one of those numbers, He goes, you'll kill it. No brain. I just had to post every day from there and I have you know, for the next four years, I've got over a million followers. I was collective on social media and that's from posting every day. It was that simple in my head. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Good on that mate for seeing seeing the logic there. I'd like you mentioned your dog. It's a staffy by looks of it.
Speaker 2: Staffy the world's best dogs, the best. Yeah, Bonnie, she's the best. She's famous too. I see some people sometimes and they're like, can I get a photo? And so, yeah, where's Bonnie. You're more interested in Bonnie than they are me, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's and it's hard. Let's just talk about how hard it is to turn your life around. First of how did you kick the kick the drugs.
Speaker 2: I got to a stage where I was done. I broken my ankle. Jumped off a roof and broken my ankle, so I was hobbling around. I went to the hospital. The hospital said you need to have that plast and maybe operated, and I said, I've got to go get on pretty much. I'm out. I just need next ray. Just give me a pair of crutches. So I hobbled it off for the next six months, and in that time of not being able to put weight on my foot, I was addicted to drugs. I was in trap houses. I'd ended up in a back bed bedroom. The house had been shot up two nights running, so it got shot up one night and got shot up the next. Everybody in that house had left. I was in the back bedroom, and I woke up in the morning and the deal was, I to go get high again. This is going to be sick because I was on heroin too, and I'd had enough. I just I can remember thinking in my head that if I don't get clean, I'm going to die. Because I had three ods in my active addiction where I've been brought back to life, you know, like I said, the stabbings of shootings, all the stuff. I got to a time where I just knew if I didn't get clean, I was going to end up dead. And I remember that morning. I thought, I can't go get on. I've been doing this four years now, you know. This bender went on for four years, and I thought, if I go get on again, there's another weak cycle of getting high and moves in the next one. So I rang my brother, my middle brother shout out to Robbie, you know, and I rang him and I said, man, I've had enough, and he goes, We've heard this before. I said I've had enough, rob you know, I was in tears. I said, I can't do this anymore, man, I said, I'm going to end up dead. And I knew that I had more to offer to society. To myself, you know, my legacy, all that than going out in a back bedroom as a junkie. And he goes, I'm going to ring you tomorrow. He goes, because I've heard you say this before in the last four years. He goes, I'm going to ring you tomorrow, and I see where you're at. And he rang me the next day, probably about twenty four hours later, and I was in the same position I had moved. By this time. Will drawers started to kick in. You know, I was a mess. It was dry, reaching and hadn't eaten, hadn't slept, sweating, and he goes, where are you sitting in the same place I was yesterday morning? And he goes, yeah, you really. I said, mate, I'm fucking you know, I'm done. And he's like, and what, you don't want to ask me to lend you any money or anything like that. I said no, I said, I'm fucking done, man. I said, Rob, I'm really laid down to die like that's it. I'm just done. I said, I can't do this anymore. Obviously it was an emotional speaking to a family. And then he goes, all right, he goes, I like the sound of this. He goes, I'm gonna give you one more day. He guys are going to bring you tomorrow morning. He goes, If you're in the same position, he goes, oh, come get ya. He rang me the next morning. I was there, you know, so I just done forty eight hours and I was in fucking I was in a bad spot. You know this times, cramp and diarrhea and vomiting, you know, all the stuff, sweats, shakes, cramps, all the stuff. And he doesn't come and get yea, And they come grab me, took me up to his house and put me in a bedroom in the back room at his house. And that was it. Man, I just knew I just had to survive the next two to three weeks, just get through. There was no chance of me walking out the front door, of climbing through a window and going getting on. There was not even if a bit about it, because as soon as I got clean, my whole life was about to start. And I just laid there, man, I just laid there. They pretty much brought me in plates of food and that was it it. It took me a week to crawl to the bathroom before I could have a shower, and I just did it the old school way, white knuckled it, as we said, dried out. And that's it. Man, My life has been bliss ever since.
Speaker 1: I can see the emotions just talking about thinking about.
Speaker 2: The massive turning point in my life. Yeah, it's massive, huge, one of the biggest demons I ever had to conquer. But I like to I like to think I'm built. You know, I'm built right, I was built for it. You know, some people maybe would have buckled. I didn't. Yeah, I got clean. It was about the three week mark. I remember I was able to sit at the table now talk and my mum would come up, and my other brother would come up, and we'd have a family dinner and it'd start to you know, get some sleep by now and have a shower and starting to do some push ups in the garage and take Bonnie for a walk, and you know, and then it would have been about the fourth fifth week mark. It's starting to feel a lot better. I mean I still look at those first videos, you know, and I was, yeah, you go, yeah, it's really taking its toll on me. People in the area thought I got sick. Sick, like people were saying, is he got cancer, aes or something? Because I was that I look like skeletor. No one had ever seen me that light, you know, that was just skin and bones. And people were actually like, I don't think it's drugs. I think he's actually sick, sick like you know, And that's how bad I looked. Anyway, I was sitting at the table and I remember saying, I spoken to a mate that was like into social media, and he told me about this brand. And I hadn't even I was still in Melbourne, you know, and I hadn't even left yet to go get start my journey. And I turned around to my family and they remember this, and I said I might give this social media shit a crack, and they thought, oh, of course you will.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: But I'm really good at manifesting. You know, when I see something, I can smell it, I can feel it. I us nine out of ten times I have been able to do this since I was a kid. I could make it happen. And so yeah, man went up Todate. They got me a ticket, one way ticket with me and my dog, flewing my dog up to Cans, nothing but the clothes on my back. My mate put me up in an airbnbare Airbnb for a month and let's see what happens. I started documenting my life, my new life, which was left out.
Speaker 1: Of document documenting the journey and.
Speaker 2: Documenting the journey, and that's it. Man, what a journey.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Kansas a beautiful place up there, very grounding, very grounding, you know, a.
Speaker 1: Lot going for it. The fact that you're documenting like that, I would imagine that's almost not a safety in there. But it makes it hard for you to go back because, yeah, this is what I'm doing. You'd hate to lose your way on that journey because you'd feel like a hypocritical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep me accountable. It was like it was video diary. Yeah, it was a video diary, journal, journal, but I'm putting it out to the world. Yeah, so it's letting them judge you to see what they There would have been a lot of naysay, okay, where is this gonna again? That fail the junkie on social media they were saying, this guy's cooked because all those videos where I was carrying on, I was like six weeks clean. Yeah, eight weeks clean, you know, moving into three months clean type deal. So I still had this lot in my system. I had all these demons from the old life. I didn't know how to talk.
Speaker 1: I did a deep dive on you last night, and there was a lot that there was still a lot going on. Oh yeah, when there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of pain, Yeah, a lot of pain in there. And I see a hurt little boy in those videos. You know, that's what That's what it is. But had this so much armor. No one's going to get me. I'll hurt them before they hurt me. And I couldn't even see that back then, but now I look, that's what I see, And yeah, that's what was coming across. And I'm telling the story. Is still talking tough. It seemed like I was you knowing you had the jail swagger. Yeah, yeah, I GLORI it looked like I was glorifying the life. But I just knew I had to show up on social media and turn heads my way. I come from a strategic life, so there was a lot of method to my madness. I knew exactly what I was doing. I wanted to tell the stories because when I talked about, hey, you know, so I had a good day today, I took my dog for a walk, no one cared. But this time I got in a punch on in prison, bundreds of thousands of video views, you know, the video popped. So it was all about planning the sea, getting people related, will you know, looking my way? And it was a lot of a negative attention, but as they say in that game, any attention is good attention.
Speaker 1: Well, you would have to be resilient there because there would have been a lot of I would imagine a lot of people attacking you, going here we go again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is in the joke on them?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got to prove who got the last laughing?
Speaker 1: You know, I like you virtually burnt the escape route away once you started posting publicly. So is that how you started to earn a living? And yes, tell us about your your evolving into becoming a citizen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, the first step was I started creative income and that was on TikTok. So I built a community on TikTok and I started live streaming. And then there was this battle scene on TikTok where you know, your community could gift you and that gifts transferring to money, and so like, you know, if we're me battled on TikTok, let's say you've got a community, you've got a following. I've got Mike you need, I've got my following. They're set off in these battles and we've got a five minute round and there's times, two points and all this other jargon. And then you know, my community trying to gift me more than your community to give you, and I become the winner. And then there's a whole ranking thing, you know. So you've got a top hundred every week.
Speaker 1: Well, if you challenge me the battle on Tiktach, I think I'm fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't battled over probably about two years now. But it was all part of the journey. And I created an income and I created some good money, you know. And so from there we moved down back down to Victoria because I was with a mate. He was up there too. He got clean, but that's a whole other side of the story. And so we traveled down together. And yeah, I mean, you know, I got my license.
Speaker 1: How did that feel for the first time driving around knowing if the cops pulled you over?
Speaker 2: It was a full on drama. I was forty man and got a license. I had to sit my ols and that, Yeah, did.
Speaker 1: You get around in place.
Speaker 2: Yea, Yeah, it was a full on had to have a license driving next to me, And did.
Speaker 1: You wear your peep plates? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did all with deal. Yeah, I'm pretty like pretty even my friends would tell me, you know, like today they're like, you're so straight, you know, even jaywalk Man, Like they're like, we're just parking.
Speaker 1: Now I'll get told I.
Speaker 2: Can't, you know, like I'm pretty pretty clean cut now. I like to do the right thing as much. I'll give you a lot of energy doing the right thing. But anyway, it was fun. You know. It was all the whole new world, this whole bank accounts and now I've just getting on my tax sorted and they we just paid a big tax bill and like all this stuff's new. I'm like, whall, you know, I just got a bookkeeper on board for the business and all this stuff. This it's just been a journey of learning and growth, this whole new world.
Speaker 1: How did that narrowsh you personally?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Did this feel more fulfilling? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was exciting because it was a whole new world and I decided to do the right thing, and so yeah, it was. It was that there was days where it was hard it was a struggle because it was all foreign, it was all new to me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's scratching my head. I'm confused as fuck, you know. But yeah, I mean I've got it. We're getting it.
Speaker 1: It's you know, is there any is there was there any temptation or any just fleeking moment where you thought, fuck it, I'm out here. I'm back to the old world at all.
Speaker 2: There's been there's been times I've been tested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that that's the type of thing.
Speaker 2: I've been challenged. I've been challenged, but I think I'm strong enough to you know, I didn't do the whole rehab, the NA type deal. And Danny taught me a lot about that space. Danny was almost like a sponsor for me, and I didn't even know. He taught me a lot about addiction, you know, Danny Shannon shout out and let's and.
Speaker 1: We were having a laugh about Danny before we started recording. He's the world's happiest human, so happy, grateful, it could be, so positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so like it was. That was handy. But I can honestly sit here and say I'll never touch drugs again. Whereas in the attic world that's like, don't sell yourself short. You know, the second that you say you won't touch drugs, maybe you will. I'm here the hurdle and Neil, it didn't work like that for me. I've got to say, there's something about you in the way that you're delivering it and talking about it. Give me the confidence because that's always my concern if someone's kicked drugs, Well, life gives you kicks in the guts and we're all going to get them, and whether that's something to draw your back, but there seems to be. Jeffrey Morgan would say, Gary, every lesson is a blessing, and I'm up for the challenge. Like it's not going to be all sunshines and rainbows. You know, there's going to be down days. There's going to be days that I'm tested. There's going to be challenges, There's going to be ups and downs. I'm up for the challenge. I get it because there's only that's where growth is without dark, there's no light.
Speaker 1: You've got good people around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a huge supports. You know, I wouldn't know where to score if I tried, you know, Like you know, I've cut some really.
Speaker 1: Okay, I haven't heard that from someone here. But that's good, you know how far you've come from the world.
Speaker 2: And also I've cut some people off that, you know, I've known for thirty forty years. I challenged a bloke a few months ago. He got out, you know, I'd known him since we're kids. And what are you doing? What's his social media stuff and his breath works stuff? What's going on? And I talked to him for about twenty minutes, and I thought, man, I got to I've got to plan a set. I've got to, you know, see how this is going to go, because this could be a liability, you know. And he's talking about because he's on the phone to me, he's walking past. Man, I just walked past the Matt Merk. Wouldn't mind jumping in that, you know, you know, stepped away from you. And I said, so listen, if I was to if I was to meet up with you, I said, might I haven't used in over four years now, I said, If I was to meet up with you and you had something on you, I said, would you chop us out one time? Just one day out? You know, I said, and not tell no one. I said, you wouldn't lagged me, would you. Of course, I wouldn't gas up. Make you deserve it? He goes, you deserve it? Made one day out? He goes, it's only one day mate, He goes, I'll chop you out. And I wouldn't say nothing, I promise. He goes My words, my word said thanks mate, thanks for that. When I got off the phone, I blocked him on every fucking account known to man. What's that fucking his phone number, his social media everything. He the only way he could contact me is if he knocked on my front door, and I doubt he'd have my dress. And you know, this is a friend that I've known, We've been through thick and thin together. I had to let go. I'm actually really good at that now. He's just cutting energy off when it doesn't serve me. And that was negative energy. He was a risk, he was a liability. He's got to go.
Speaker 1: I think that that's a really powerful statement. I want to break it down a little bit because I see people that fall back into old habits. But what a great test on it. That's clever. That's clever because that tells you exactly his mindset. Because I see like it might be friends, whether it's drugs or alcohol or whatever, and they're trying to do the right thing, and you see other people trying to drag him back in. Just come out. You know, someone will if they drink, they give him the shit because they do crazy stuff. They're not meant to drink. But they'll have friends that will say, I just have one. You'll be right, No one will know. I hate that sort of shit. And my brothers love a vier. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My brothers are both tradees. Yeah, beautiful houses, beautiful businesses, beautiful homes, kids, misses, all the traditional stuff. They're pretty solid. But you know on Grand Final Day or UFCS on or public holiday, they're smashing a six pack of jacks.
Speaker 1: They love it.
Speaker 2: I'll be in and out on those days. I'll pop in. I have a feet.
Speaker 1: I've got to go.
Speaker 2: Nothing against them, but I just I don't want to sit around the table for the next couple of hours and want to because you do you think I just one.
Speaker 1: Can You know youve got to You've got to stay strong and keep that keep that action up there. But that was why I was cutting someone like that, And it's hard, but you've got to protect yourself.
Speaker 2: No one's going to jeopardize my journey, you know. And I'm on a good path now. And I say, I say it, man, I love my mother before my heart. But and nothing She's done nothing wrong, you know, she's been challenged. But I do say one of my things, I say, if my own mon mother was to jeopardize my journey of doing the right thing, she'd have to go. Yeah, it doesn't matter who it is, right, it's so important. So I can honestly say that nothing's going to stop me doing the right thing in life.
Speaker 1: You know what the other stuff you're doing, breath work, talk us through that. It's all about.
Speaker 2: What happened next was after some TikTok battles and making in calm, I've got a little home rental, you know, some furniture. I got myself a little car, and I took about eighteen month or so to sort of set my life up and start to live like you or ainary civilian. I then started to do merch. I created hope cartel. I think it was actually Russell mansa rest in Peace. I got labeled on social media as the hope Dealer. He's no longer the dope dealer. He's the Hope Dealer. People used to say, and that's about you on social he used to deal dope, now he deals hope. From dope dealer to hope dealer. And so I got labeled the Hope Dealer. And we used to do these live streams where I'd have, you know, the Jeffrey Morgan's, the Russell Mansers, the Danny Shannon's, and we'd get you the Glenn Fishes. We get this group together and we'd spit some wisdom about the old life being shithouse and all the stuff. And I remember Russ one night he said, look, I said, look at us, all a bunch of hope dealers.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He's like yeah, and he's like yeah, he goes Hope Cartel. That's what he mentioned, I said her. And as soon as he said it, like Bob, I thought, that is killer Hope Cartel. That's going to be the brand go straight away, I reckon. Within a couple of months of that, I registered that name as a business. We've got my brothers to help me. Got an ABN registered as a business and paid for the name and the business name and yeah, and then it started to the Hope Cartel. We built this community, Hope Cartel. Gary's the Hope Dealer. No longer the Dope Dealer. He's the owner of Hope Cartel. When I was doing merchandise, that was the start of Hope Cartel. I just started pumping out merchant and be honest, goes, I flipped batches of merch like I used to flip batches a gear. You know, I drop a dollar for a hundred hoodies and I get a dollar back on them, you know, type deal. And it was the same old method that I was used to.
Speaker 1: But now so you're a business man, you're just legitimizing your business. Yeah, and then people were buying into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they loved it.
Speaker 1: They lapped it up.
Speaker 2: And so you know, at that stage, all I really was doing is offering knowledge, you know, through my social media and selling some hoodies and getting gifted on TikTok like it was, you know, like you've got more, I've got more to give, but let's see where this will take us. And I got off by an absolute gentleman. Big part of my mentorship leadership. You know, I've got a bunch of blokes, Jeffrey Morgan, Danny Shannon, what Tani his name is they're calling Wah. And he's the owner of a business called a Men'd Movement, deals with men's mental health workshops, helping men take the armor off, take the mask off, and deal with you know, what's inside, what we're suppressing, and acknowledge, you know, our shame and guilt we might have, but also forgiveness and learn to be a better man, because a man is a foundation of the home. Let's be honest, A happy man's a happy home. And whiles out there, you know, teaching men to be you know, positive masculine men, men that are protectors, they're providers, but they're also loving, nurturing men as well. You know, I think that's a beautiful balance of a man and I've never seen this before. And then Yo, Wah. He reached out to me on social media. We did a live together, and then he reached out to me afterwards and he said, I believe you have a gift to help a lot of people. He said, let me help you heal so you can help others heal. And he offered me a ticket, a free ticket for me and my mate Sawney. You know, he's the guy we I come down from Cans with. He'd gotten clean and headed up CANS prior to me going to Cans and then we've been on this healing journey together. And so me and Shawney went to one of Ware's workshops and it's a full day workshop. You get there at nine o'clock, you don't leave till six. And these these blokes are all big built blokes. They're in the gym, they get tattoos, they're men's men, but they're so loving, they're so caring, they're so nurturing. But also you see the provider and the protector in them, you know, and you're like, wow, I've never seen this. I'd never seen a man like that in my life, you know, because when you've seen someone that was you know, positive masculine energy, they come across soft, you know. Or if you've seen a man that was hard and you know they had that stoic mentality, then it was that moved into that toxic sort of space and they had the perfect balance.
Speaker 1: Well, the environment you're in in jil everyone's bridged up and walking around with attitude and the SNAr. Okay, so you've well not stumbled, You've been invited into this, and you're saying you're saying something positive that you hadn't seen before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And at the end of this it was like a let's call it like a three course meal breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then a dessert. The dessert at the end was breathwork. And the style that style of breath worker is holotropic yep. So it's an intense somatic breath and it causes the body to release it's called soma, so we call it soma. It's a short version and it's to release negative energy that the body holds onto. So we live experiences in life and what happens on the back of those experiences we feel them. That feeling is energy. Where does that does that energy go? It's called the body keeps score and the body holds onto that energy positive and negative. See we've got the memory, but connected to the experience or the memory is the feeling. The feeling is energy and the body actually holds onto that energy. So you know, this causes negative experiences with negative energy attached to it. The body's holding onto this causes us to drag our feet, anxiety, depression, you know, all the mental health diagnosis, addictional, The list goes on. And so this breath work is designed to release the negative energy out the body. Also combination of breath holds. Through the breath holds you activate dmt dimethyl trip to mean we're having the chemical we have in the body. We get a natural release of that when we're born, and when we die, you know that lays dormant for the rest of our lives. We can activate this dimethr trip to mean through this breath work as well. That's in the same category as plant based medicine. So we're talking mushrooms, aouas ga, you know, pyote, that sort of stuff. And yeah, so it's this massive spiritual experience. It's almost it feels like a near death experience. Your life literally flashes before your eyes, all the good and the bad, and you release all this negative energy out the body at the same time through the somatic breath and it's something very hard to put into words, but when you do, it is life changing.
Speaker 1: Literally well listening and clearly something that's captivated your interest and the stuff that you can really understand. And I think in something like that, the deeper you go, the more you learn. But yeah, I'm not sitting here looking at you going what's this hippie dipshit. You're interested in breathwork, You've done something like I've done meditation, retreats, yoga, breathwork, chagoing from years gone by, so breathing, and I've just recent times doing something which is like vibration and sound which looks similar to what you're doing. You say it's like a trip. You come out and you feel different. Now is it spiritual? I don't know. I know how it makes me feel. I got through the cops for a very long time and my go to place was doing sort of meditation and breath work and different things, so I know it affects me in a positive way. Sort of recenters me, so I do understand. I think it's fascinating. It's alternative medicine, I think, but their science are starting to look into the type of stuff. I don't know the exact thing that you're doing, but I know how it can evoke emotions. I remember in Nepoll it breathing, sound, healing and different things like it was having a different impact on everyone in there when you.
Speaker 2: Released this negative energy. A lot of times that negative energy it comes out aggressively. It comes out. It's like sunshines and rainbows because it's negative energy. So on the back of that, it's usually cries and screams. It looks confronting to watch, but when you're going through it, it's so liberating, it's so cleansing. It's a beautiful experience. So, you know, we jumped on the mat for the first time. I had this massive experience and I literally never felt the same since.
Speaker 1: So tell us what it did for you. What was your personal experience.
Speaker 2: It's hard to put into words, so I had. You know, they call it, we call it in the space connecting with spirit. So you know, a lot of tribes for thousands of years have connected with spirit through plant based medicine. We do this through the power of our breath. Also, a bunch of frequencies in tones we run through headphones, so when you will beat subliminal messaging, everything's tuned to four hundred and thirty two hertz, which is a very known healing frequency, very special number NLP, you know, at least hypnotic suggestion, very powerful playlist. So it's almost like a blockbuster, that's what we call them. Journeys in the headphones and then guided by the owner of nine D Brian Kelly, which is an absolute legend. And so you've got this audio going on crazy. If you've heard of guided meditations through headphones, imagine that on steroids. You've got the eyemass helps you sit internal so there's no external distraction, and then you're breathing to activate the medicine. Yeah, it's like a blueprint on life.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I had this hard, long look internally where i'd been, where I started, where I've been, and where I should be going. And I also had a lot of people that have passed on come and visit me. So when I connected with spirit, you know, my dad come to visit me, my nanam Pop, some mates that are passed on. I felt like I was laying on my hospital and they're all standing over me. It's this beautiful experience, very connected with universe, universe, self source spirit, massive, huge experience, very very spiritual. You know, I believe our spirit is our soul. I believe our soul has always been here. You know, we're living this human, physical, external, conscious reality wherein now I believe we've been here before and we'll be here again. Our souls eternal energy never lies and it never dies. So when you connect with a soul, our true essence, our energy, our spirit. You know, you look through this lens of life and it all seems pretty trivia. You know. I could understand the wounds I had, and I could let go of some of those wounds, you know, and also, you know, have a hard, long look at us outside of this vessel just energy.
Speaker 1: How long have you been doing this shit?
Speaker 2: I've been doing it for about nearly three years now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've got the history of it. I see sometimes I see people come into different things I've been into. I call them the amway. They walk in and they come out so excited that they've just discovered the meaning to life, and it doesn't pan out. But if you've been doing it for three years, and.
Speaker 2: I've used a lot of other tools too, that's one tool in the backpack.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of others, but that's that's our staple. And so yeah. I remember sitting up for my first session with wa and I looked him straight eyes and I said, Man, how do I become a facilitator? I said, I've found my purpose right then, and now I knew because I've been looking for a solution my whole life obviously had some issues growing up the way I did, and I've been looking for solution, but that solution was always external. It was always an external solution for an internal problem. And what I found that day when I laid on the mat and I breathed, is the solution was sitting here the whole time. It was right next to the problem. I had the solution. I had all the answers. I just didn't know how to get to them. And Ward showed me how to get to them. And so as soon as I found the solution, I found my purpose. I knew right then and am my purpose was to show the world this. I had to teach the world what I'd just been taught, which is the gift that we already have. It's how powerful we really are when we come back to self. And so yeah, I went on a mission to just breathe as much as I could, to show up at the workshops, to do the work on self, to do the internal work. And yeah, now I ended up becoming a facilitator for about eighteen months after the fact of starting my healing journey, literally proper healing, not just wanting to live.
Speaker 1: A better life.
Speaker 2: I'd started to work within and focus on the wounds and unpack the negative energy my body had been holding onto from my experiences in life. And I suppose that's why the way I talk and walk the way I do today, because I'm unpacking all this shit that the body was suppressing.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't know you beforehand, but I saw the earlier videos and I'm seeing who I'm sitting here talking to now. There's a difference. There's a calmness about you, and I don't mind experimenting in different things. And I think some things work for one person that might work for the other. But I got no problems with people who have found something that works for them. Like I've had people I'm not religious, I've had people sitting here and yeah, I turned my life around because I found God. Well that's what I say, Like, Okay, well that's cool. It doesn't it's not for me, but if it works works for you others physical training, and I think what you're doing with the breath work still works with the physical train. That's not not exclusive. But good on you that you found something that works for you. And there's a calmness about you. Because I was looking at some of your past stuff and I think, Okay, where are we going with this? But I felt when you walked in the room, there's an energy.
Speaker 2: People can't understand it because it's just like, you know, the way I say, it's like taking an eki. You try and explain taking an eki, you won't get it until you've took one. You just can't put it into words. It's exactly the same. You won't get it until you've tried it. Once you've tried it, everybody falls in love with it because you find out that we have the answers.
Speaker 1: You know, what are some of the examples of people that you've helped, Oh.
Speaker 2: Some of the winds Man well has some huge Trade's a funny one, traders. We get tradees on the mat and that's a funny one because you know, we get a lot of people that come in and they've lived they lived a pretty healthy life. Man. Their parents worked hard, and they had all the toys and the holidays and presents under the trees, and then they went into you know, working and they've worked hard themselves, and they've got the nice houses and the business and all the jet skis and the cars, and the kids are going away for holidays and so it's great. Yeah, exterior looks good. But these blokes that work for twenty plus years, when they're riddled with anxiety depression, you know, they know nothing more than they get on the tools and it does. It takes us toll on the body, and so when we get them on the mat we get funny results. A lot of times is they throw their jobs in They say this, I can't do this for the next twenty years. After they've had this massive spiritual experience and they come out, Man, I've just sold my house. What do you mean you sold your house? I you get a caravan. I'm taking the family and we've traveled Australia. Well, just from your job. What do you mean you're through an your job. I'm going to become a social worker. We hear of it all the time, and then you know, they're great wins because people just want to live life more present. You know, it doesn't make sense to him to just have the tunnel vision on after they've had this massive experience.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you mentioned tradesman like I started off in the building trade before I joined the cops. I know people have continued in the building trade and it does take a tolerance body like it's hard physical work and a day in, day out. But in that space too, they don't get the opportunity to even think about their emotions or Yeah.
Speaker 2: It can be a toxic environment.
Speaker 1: Well it's the job. When I went through it, very bloky environment. I would imagine it's still pretty much the same. I don't rock up to a building site and you ask, hey, Gary, how are you feeling. I'm not feeling really good today. I guess that conversation doesn't That doesn't land at all. So I can imagine that it opens up new ways of thinking. Had a younger people a few months ago. He had a great relationship in his partners and young in his early twenties, got on the mat, went home after the session and said, I love you.
Speaker 2: And you've that they're nothing anything wrong to me. But I've got to go. What do you mean, You've got to go? Grab the backpack and he's traveling the world. He said, I've got to go live. I said, I'll come back, but I've got to go. Yeah, Like this is the stuff that breathwork does. Yes, it releases negative energy and you know, we can deal with anxiety and depression and trauma and all the stuff because that's really what it is. You know, when negative energy is pain, hurts, stress, tension, emotion, trauma. You know, it's all these things. And so when you release that, we start to look through a different lens. But yeah, seeing you know, seeing people find their peace, man, it gives me goose puts.
Speaker 1: Is there any pushback on it? Any like negative thoughts? That what.
Speaker 2: People? People will you know, they don't don't understand it. And so when you don't understand it, you know, we get the people like that's soft, that's weak, and it's the opposite.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It takes a lot of courage to face your demons man, you know, and to maybe find out that you're not your best people. Sometimes that's what we call sitting weself. And when we sit with self, the answers come up. Sometimes people don't want to see the answers. So there's like, are you ready to start your healing journey? That's a big part of it, and some people aren't ready, so they're going to knock it in the space. There's as long as you breed deep, it works every time. So we don't have any negativity. Once people go through their journey, it's nothing but positivity on the back of a deep breath.
Speaker 1: It's interesting the different reactions you get, like breathing in one nostril out the other mouth and circulating it around. There's so many different days.
Speaker 2: So powerful, and we all heard just breathe, or who would ever thought just breathe?
Speaker 1: Do any of the old old characters.
Speaker 2: I have had to breathe some kidnap victims of mine. I've had to breathe some people that have said you pulled a gun on me, or you chase my boyfriend down the street and shot at him. And they've come in and may I'll heal anybody. I'll help anybody here.
Speaker 1: When you say you breeth someone, they're going through the experience, yep, and you're there guiding them.
Speaker 2: That's correct. So I'm holding space to them. And I have had people come in that we were on the wrong sides of the fence. They've come in they said, listen, all shit aside, man, I believe in what you're doing, and I need it. I've actually got someone coming in. They've spoke in the jackshop about me years ago. I have their paperwork and they reached out and I said, mate, you're more than welcome. We get on the mat. You know, like I wouldn't be in it for the right reasons if I was saying you can't heal, but you can't, I can't be that. Am I truly in it for the right reasons, then I'll help anybody here, Gary.
Speaker 1: And it is. And you said during the course of our chat that you want to give back to society, and that is this your way of.
Speaker 2: This is how I resent my comic debt's how I leave a legacy. I'm building an empire for all the right reasons. Now I'm not hurting anybody. I'm helping. I've learned that I've got to leave with love, not hate. And you know, I get emotional almost every session. And it's mid journey. It's gnarly because they're releasing, you know, it's all about release. But at the end of the journey is the peace they find. I know that some people have never ever stepped foot in the light they find at the end of these journeys. And it gives me a goose punts every time. It's so rewarding. I'm blessed to be in the position I am today. It's from hard work. I'll give it and saying all that I think it's only the beginning, just getting warmed up.
Speaker 1: It's hard work in learning than then running the business.
Speaker 2: Of course well, and then doing the work on myself as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and you still use it to of course, and I with doing chigol and meditation. I use it now and I say, say the people I've got in my back pocket, if my life is spinning out of control, I know how to bring it down through meditation, chigo or whatever.
Speaker 2: And of course regulate the nervous system. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when I was in the cops, when things were happening all the time, I just step aside and do my thing in the same and get that get that balance back.
Speaker 2: I get a phone call and I think, oh, here we go. It's one of them phone calls. And take a deep breath. I breathe through the nose, hold hold hold out the mouth, just regulate for a second, and I say, how you going, how's your day been? You know, it just it just locks me in.
Speaker 1: Well, if you know, if you're going into something high stress, and it's a practice that a lot of people use, he's get your breathing right for sure. Breath. So look, I hate because I understand the stuff that you're talking about. And I hope people we haven't lost people and going what are these idiots on about?
Speaker 2: But knock it like they was saying, don't knock into you, try to.
Speaker 1: You try well. I think it's funny how people going to yoga and meditation and all that. I had Bernie Matthews on the podcast years ago, and I think he spent as long in the prisons as I did in the cops, longer serving prisoner of super Max here in Sydney, and he was talking about how he got into meditation and when it was first given to him because he was in isolation a lot of times he thought, no stuff this, I'm not going to do this. What am I going to sit here and chant? He found something the works, but he got into meditation. Just getting back to the life that you've lived, what would you say to young blokes starting at young blokes and young women like the women are getting caught up in the crime as well. What what's a message? Because I think that's an important thing. Someone said, live the experience that you've had.
Speaker 2: Show me a person that has lived a life of crime, drugs, jail, crime and has been successful in the end. If you dip your toes in deep enough, shit's going to go down. You're going to lose. It's a negative environment. We create our own reality, and when you feed so much negativity, it's going to come back to buy it. It's the only way it works. So they're going to lose. It's a lose lose situation, you know. And even okay, let's just talk hypothetically. Okay, some people have made millions and millions of dollars. What's that cost and whatever they had to sacrifice for that. Maybe they didn't end up in prison for the rest of the life, maybe they didn't end up dead. But you know what, they can't come back to Australia. They've had to jet the country, they've left their family behind. Is that millions of dollars worth that I would just say? Can you slither through the cracks and come out the other side like I have? Because in the meantime, you know, some people end up in jail for the rest of their lives, they end up dead, they end up washed up on drugs and lose their mind and never come back. These are the occupational hazards of that lifestyle. You know, you might have to flee the country, or you know, your house, your family's house is being shot up, or all the things. The list goes on and on and on, and they're going to have to go through that before they learn. The sad bit is probably yes, I wish my word had weight with them. I wish I could look at them now and say get out where you still can. But greed is so powerful, and that's what it's all driven by. It's driven by greed. And you know they're going to have to learn a lot of lives about learning lessons and they're going to have to learn. And I wish it was easy as me saying get out. You'll be fine if you get out. And if they if if my word does have enough weight with them and they get out, well well played. Let's let's get you on the mac, reach out, whatever it is, let's do what I can offer. But until then, you know they're going to have to lose. And when you when you've hit rock bottom, when you've lost enough, maybe that's when you'll go Okay, I'm over, and then then I can work with them. But there's a slippery slope till then you know how much is your family? Are you going to sacrifice because of the decisions you've made before. Enough's enough. Some people don't get a second chance. That's that's been as transparent as I can.
Speaker 1: Well, that's coming from someone that's lived the life and managed to get out the other side. And yeah, I'm seeing how energized you are there. You've found the passion, that found something, you enjoy, something that yeah, is driving you. That's what I think people have got to look forward to. I think purpose, Yeah, have a purposepose, and it's rewarding. I found my purpose at forty man and look what I've done in four years. You know, like if you find your true purpose, like they say, if you get you get paid to do something you love, you'll never work out. That's so true. That nothing's true than that.
Speaker 2: Find your purpose and make sure it's positive, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Gas, I've enjoyed enjoyed having having a chat with you and all the boys that steered me towards you and all spoken very highly of you and the people I respect.
Speaker 1: Good luck with your future and what you're doing, and thanks for being so open and honest.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, guys. Cheers mate,