Speaker 1: Okaday, Welcome to healthy Ish, your podcast from body and Soul. I am your host for listening, Harley Yes. To celebrate summer and the festive season, we're dropping our top Healthish episodes of twenty twenty four. This one is a goodie and listeners, you loved it, so we're giving it to you again. I was joined by a psychologist, neuroscientist and co founder of Future Minds Lab at UNSW in Sydney, Professor Joel Pearson. Now, he says when we're too emotional, it can cloud our intuition, so he joined us earlier in the year to discuss how managing your emotional state can help build your intuition and in turn help you make better decisions.
Speaker 2: Now, as you know, we keep.
Speaker 1: Our Healthish episodes quite short, so if you want to hear more from Joel, listening to extra healthy Ish, where he talked about how to well better trust your intuition, and that's something we all need advice around, don't we. Anyway, you can search for Extra healthy Ish wherever you get your podcasts. Joel, thank you for coming on healthy Ish My pleasure Now you are an intriguing mix and you're a scientist as psychologist written a book about intuition. It's a pretty compelling mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, keep going. I'm enjoying this.
Speaker 1: Keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean intuition.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose, because intuition is you know, and you say it in the book. It's traditionally wo woo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's some degree right. And that's one of the things I try and clear up really early on, is how I'm defining it. I'm not talking about the spiritual side, the magical, the blueprint of the universe. I'm taking a very scientific approach, and that's the I think that's the exciting thing. We can explain intuition with all the science, the way we understand the brain already. We don't need to learn new things. We will learn a lot of new things, but we can explain it already.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I think that I think I agree with that because you know, I've been in media for a while now, and perhaps you know, fifteen years ago i'd interview people about the whole intuition thing who had no science.
Speaker 2: Oh it's just you know, that feeling. But what does the science say about it?
Speaker 3: So it says it's a real thing that we can So it's research we've done in the lab in my lab here in Sydney about ten years ago. So we can tap into unconscious information in the brain and we can use that for better decisions or actions. Right, and we're like getting into the nerdy detail what our bodies.
Speaker 2: Actually Okay, we don't nerdy details.
Speaker 3: I can go there, don't let me do it. So what our body is doing, it's our body has access to the unconscious information. So we don't know what's there in our brain, but our body can access that. It can pick up on the emotions and that's what we're feeling in this gut response that people talk about. That's why it's called the gut. The gut feeling. Some people in the chest, some people the fingertips, and so our brains are free tips. Yeah, some people feel on their sweaty palms or their fingertips, shoulders, chest, but normally in the body. So that's called introception, an internal perception of the internal state of the body. So all the information you're processing you go into a cafe or a restaurant, you're processing thousands of different things. The temperature, the music, the style, the type of tables, the type.
Speaker 2: Of love, our bodies and bodies, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: But it's a lot of that's unconscious. You're not really aware of it. And so your brain's learnt that some things predict good outcomes, good food, good coffee, other things in the cafe predict bad food to bad coffee. So your brain's picking up on that's triggering these red flags. But it's unconscious, but you're feeling it in the body, in the gut, and that's the gut feeling.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I just it's phenomenal, isn't it that our this is all happening and always thinking about is that we need a latte?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we just feel it. It's automatic, happens in a second, bang, all done very quickly.
Speaker 1: So you talked to us about emotional intelligence and the importance of this in nurturing. How do you describe it nurturing or intuition? Getting more in touch with that, What sort of terminology to use?
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean I have these rules around it to a and the number one the most important is really to not practice intuition when you're highly emotional, positive or negative. That's important. And the reason is that you get flooded with these strong emotions and that just washes out. You can't pick up the more subtle feelings of intuition. So if you're in this state, we need to find a way to bring ourselves back to a baseline, right again, if it's positive or negative, get that sort of calmer a state. And there's lots of different ways of doing that, and so yeah, emotional awareness is a huge part of that. So you need that, which is a part of emotional intelligence. Right. So emotional intelligence is a larger sort of category which involves emotional awareness of yourself of other people. Right. So it's a big thing in the workplace. If someone's really grumpy in your team, you need to have noticed that. You can't just you know, bulldoze them and not even notice. But also it involves ways of controlling your emotions, you know, not to bring it back when you are very emotional.
Speaker 2: How can we do that?
Speaker 3: That's a million dollar question. Yeah, So first up, we know that emotional intelligence in general predicts all kinds of things from academic success, entrepreneurship, you know, advancement in the workplace.
Speaker 2: Having better relationships, yeah, friends.
Speaker 3: Better well being, healthy, healthiness, or all the It just predicts so many good, interesting, good things. So what we think, at least in terms of your own self awareness, is to practice labeling the feelings you have and linking those labels and words to the physiology, the physiology in your body the feelings you get. So if you feel your heart rate growing up, or you feel a bit sweaty, or you the idea is to get used to noticing that early and putting a label on that. And the more you do that, the more familiar you'll be and the better self awareness you'll have of your own emotions.
Speaker 1: So a label being I'm feeling anxiety or frustration or.
Speaker 3: So we can start with very simple and then we might get more specific, like I'm feeling excited and a bit nervous, and then you try and add more and more detail to get more nuanced, to to really tap into that feeling.
Speaker 1: Often it's hard, though, when you're in the height of emotion. You know, if you're in an argument with your partner, if you're you know a lot of our listeners overwhelmed with the mental load, and you know you're all up here and oh my gosh, I can't like, how do we bring it back down so we can actually become more in tune with what's happening in a gut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's two things. There's general things we can do each day just to sort of you know, from your sleep to your eating habits. Exercise. I'm a fan of exercise. I'm a fan of sauna. Hot and cold. Sauna is one of the things that really if I'm in a grumpy, bad mood or stressed, getting my heart rate up in the sauna on top of exercise does amazing things for me. And then there's the things in the moment. Right, So, if I'm sitting here, I'm going to nervous, I'm freaking out. I can feel attention. I can start controlling my breathing. Being aware of my breathing. I can do what's called box breathing, which is breathing into account, holding it for account, breathing out for count. So it's very controlled, that square shape breathing. There's a physiological sigh which has become very popular, which is a breathing in and then breathing out much longer and more slowly, and that has particular effects on heart rate and physiology.
Speaker 2: You're any number on the box breathing that you should aim for.
Speaker 3: I like to go for five count of five. But it depends on people's lung capacity. Yeah, you don't want to stress yourself out those kind of things off or just going for a walk, just movement, I think, just moving the body, stretching. Even so, those things that you can do in the moment, you probably can't, you know, if you're in that board meeting on some important meeting, drop the phone when you could. We could do all that, but you know.
Speaker 2: The workplace is the body and soul offices.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: But I think there's that acute things you can do right in the moment, and then there's the daily maintenance things. And i'd break it into those two categories.
Speaker 1: So when you are perhaps two emotional, as you say, why is it detrimental trusting your intuition in that moment as opposed to when you're flatlining?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so two main reasons. So there's something called arousal misattribution. And the book I go to I love these academic but in the book I go to this story. It was a first date and we went rock climbing, right, and you know it's indoor rock climbing gym. We're falling off the wall climbing or sweaty and it's full of adrenaline, and we're like, oh, looking towards each other's eyes, We're excited, we're feeling the chemistry. Oh my god, it's amazing. Turns out not so much. We weren't that suited for each other. What was happening. I didn't realize this till actually a few years later that when you're in that situation, we confuse the arousal, the adrenaline, the heart rate, the sweating between the rock climbing and the person. So we think it's the actual the effect of the person's having on us, right, we think it's you know, I'm getting my heart rate's gone up. It must because I'm falling for this person. But it's the rock climbing, yeah, right, right, And there's lots of cool experiments looking into this. Producers of shows like The Bachelor or a Bachelor, these kind of reality shows were off and manipulate people a little bit using tricks like this. So that's one reason we don't want to confuse one emotion for something else. In Otherwise, we don't want to confuse our fear of flying with something about intuition about a plane, right, and too just think about like like I said before, the general amount of emotional noise. If you're like in the system, you're at a party and it's noisy, you can't hear yourself talking to someone else, you can't hear them talking either, And so having just a lot of emotion, the system will just wipe out the more subtle feelings that are part of intuition. So for those two main reasons, Yeah, we don't want to you practice intuition when we're highly emotional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joel, thank you for coming on Healthy My pleasure.
Speaker 1: Well, I know you are probably intrigued to hear more from Joel well Grabby's new book.
Speaker 2: It is out now.
Speaker 1: It is called The Intuition a tool Kit. If you did enjoy this chat, make sure you rate and review it. Of course, you can subscribe to this a podcast, share set with a friend. Anything else Here to Body and soul dot com. How do you follow us on socials? Grab our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper and until tomorrow, Stay Healthy is