Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gadical Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any first Nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people joining.
Speaker 2: Us today, always was, always will be Aboriginal Land.
Speaker 1: I'm Britney Sauders and I'm all right.
Speaker 2: Hey, and this is High Scroller's the podcast version of your favorite group chat.
Speaker 1: If it's trending, going viral, or has you gripped, we're talking.
Speaker 2: About it coming up on this episode. I have a huge hypothetical question for all of you. I saw a TikTok that's gone viral and it's got me thinking, and I pose the question to Brittany and all of you, and then we go down a rabbit hole of more and more hypothetical questions.
Speaker 1: Plus, when was the last time you listened to your own voicemail recording? If someone rings you and you don't answer, what do you say?
Speaker 2: We expose ours in this episode.
Speaker 1: And Matt is educating us a little. In this episode. We are finding out things that I certainly didn't know, so I'm sure everyone else didn't. We were doing it all here at high strollers, aren't we?
Speaker 2: You know, this is a really good episode today. I an't so proud of this episode. There's a bit of education, a bit of comedy. It's everything you wanted more in life. It's a deal, mean, Joel, let's go good morning.
Speaker 1: Oh you were allowed to say good morning.
Speaker 2: I knew you'd make a comment about that.
Speaker 1: I like saying good morning to you. Are you not a good morning person? No?
Speaker 2: I'm like, I just think it's like a weird way to start a podcast, if I'm honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true, I'm addressing you. But maybe we need to address the scrollers. Yeah, because morning scrollers. If you're listening to this in the morning, d reckon, We'll be able to look up those stats. So people listening to our podcast in the am or the PM. I don't know when do you all listen to podcasts? Let us know?
Speaker 2: Not sure, because if you're on an afternoon walk, then the good morning could be very jarring.
Speaker 1: Okay, I won't say it anymore.
Speaker 2: You're out here ruining people's day. Oh you know what, room my day? The other day we had a blackout. We had a blackout for the first time. I can't remember the last time I've had a blackout.
Speaker 1: When we were kids, you would get a black out all the time, and it was so exciting.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's different that because I live in an apartment. I don't know if that comes into play with things. And also I don't know. I feel like you're right though. As a child, I feel like there were blackouts all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, they've probably improved, like technology and electricity since then, like gotten a bit better at.
Speaker 2: It, probably, But I had a blackout and I thought about something that happened to me when I was in South Africa that I don't know whether many people know about. So I thought i'd give you some some I don't know, insight, some insight into what happened when I was in South Africa because it's very interesting. And when I made my video a couple of weeks ago now about America, and I said, oh, the funniest thing about America is the wobble that dance.
Speaker 1: That I saw that on your TikTok.
Speaker 2: Yeah, funny.
Speaker 1: I want to do that fucking dance when I'm out.
Speaker 2: It's so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you haven't seen that video I made, like the wobble, is this dance in the clubs in America, and it was it's like this moment where everyone in the club just suddenly because comes friends and they all get together because it's like, you know, akin to the macarena, or we have the nutbush here in Australia. But I think even if the Nutbush was played at a club, I can't guarantee that everyone in the club would come together and do the nutball.
Speaker 1: Nut bush is so fucking embarrassing when you actually look at it, Like if you're watching everyone do the Nutbush, it's fucking embarrassing. And it's just the same thing for a whole long song. Yes, whereas I feel like the wobble thing that you did, like there's some different moves in there.
Speaker 2: Yes. And you know what I learned is that the nutbush was actually made up by the Department of Education to get kids to exercise. There you go, so there you go.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm embarrassing.
Speaker 2: The nutbush is fat phobic. You heard it here first. But the Wobble is like this really cool. They're like twerking in the club and everyone's getting down and dirty and it's really cool. And basically it's just a line dance of some sort and America went crazy for this video. They all were you know, I said that it was it was American culture, and I've since been educated by a lot of black people on TikTok that it's actually Black America culture and it originated in the black community. So I'm glad that I now know that, because I didn't know that we're in Texas. Everyone in the club was white in Texas, and I just thought it was like something that Americans in general did, but it's more of a Black America thing that has then trickled out to everywhere. And it was just so fun to be in a club and have everyone kind of like join in, and it was almost like everyone just became friends for that one song and then went back to their little groups again.
Speaker 1: You know, so you're on the same topic. That just made me think. Over the weekend, I had a few videos pop up about Honey, the movie Dream that with Jessica Alba. Yeah, and first of all, like seeing the dance scenes, now they're fucking chit, Like you know, when she like got brought into that music video and like the choreography wasn't right, and then he got her up on the stage. She's like this is honey, Like he just scouted her in a club, and then she's like on the stage doing the moves and all the dances are trying to copy her to make this music video better. They're fucking horrendous and she can't dance very well. But I remember watching that as a kid thinking she's fucking hot.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, you know when they are in the club and it's like that two story club and she's on the dance floor and like a dance battle thing kind of breaks out and she's like on the ground like doing this move.
Speaker 2: Describe that move.
Speaker 1: On her hip, so like pictures laying down like with her elbows up and her legs and then she's going like kicking her legs. I know, I can't fucking explain it. Anyway, look it up if you haven't seen it. And then this guy scouts her from like upstairs and can see her on the dance floor like spinning around on the ground. Basically, then I've seen a lot of tiktoks, which is so true because we obviously were really young when we watch that movie. I thought there would be a lot more dancing in the clubs, like and actual dance battles and dance moves, and I'm actually so disappointed that it's not that way at all. Yeah, Like everyone's just awkward jumping up and down essentially in the club.
Speaker 2: Like I wanted to cooking up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I would love for it to be like Honey, where there's actual dance moves and then like your wobble thing. Like I love seeing those line dancing tiktoks pop up for me because it's it's a thing in Australia, but it's way more of a thing in America. Yeah, and I can really get behind that.
Speaker 2: I actually saw a TikTok the other day which like triggered my fart or flight, which was a girl re enacting it was like, POV, you're getting bored in the club, so you and your friends decide to do a lap. Do you remember doing a lap of the club and a talent and see if there were any hot boys in the club, and you'd you'd go, we're gonna do a lap and then you'd just walk around the club, like do a circle through the dance floor and like look at all the boys and then go back together and go, No, there was no one cute.
Speaker 1: That is all my clubbing experience was, like I swear, it was just doing laps, especially at King Street and Newcastle, which is a three story nightclub, going up the stairs, going down the stairs, trying not to fall downstairs, fucking R and B level, and then this other level up the top, which is a bit more chill like that. Like, I don't like that. I wish there was more dancing, Like I would fucking love to go like just say, you learn online or something, or you go to a class and then you go to a club and everyone there knows the same dance.
Speaker 2: H huh.
Speaker 1: That would be fucking epic. I would do that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the wobble.
Speaker 1: I'm moving to America.
Speaker 2: I want the wobble to come to Australia. But anyway, I had a blackout the other day, Big Tenson already, sorry everyone, And it reminded me of when I was in South Africa, and I wanted to tell you, just to give you some insight into what it's like over there, because I had never heard of this previously. So in South Africa they do this thing called load shedding, which basically means that in South Africa they don't have enough electricity to go around for everyone in the country. And also because of the way the government works over there, they actually export some of their electricity to other countries. So yeah, so for example, South Africa might export some of their electricity to Namibia, and then Namibia might export something else to South Africa, and they've got all these agreements.
Speaker 1: I just don't fucking understand electricity, and I should because Aja is an electrician. But what do you mean export electricity? Just put it in a box and send them.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got no idea. Whether it's just connected to Namibia under the ground and they send some electricity that way, I'm not sure. But basically, what the government's done is they've exported so much of the electricity to then get other imports in from other countries in South in Africa that there's no longer enough electricity to go around in South Africa itself, and so to combat that they have to let the power regenerate itself. So, for example, when I was there, three times a day, the entire country of South Africa actually has a blackout three times a day, planned blackouts, and on the news each morning or on they have a website government website that you can look at. You actually have to log on and they'll say today's blackouts will be from nine to eleven am to till four pm and ten till midnight, and so the entire country the electricity goes out. So if you're sitting in a restaurant and you have ordered your food, most of them have gas cook tops anyway, which will still work, but the lights will literally just go out and you'll be in pitch black darkness.
Speaker 1: The businesses that would be affected, it would be extreme, like remember not that long ago the Tailstra thing went down and like fucking Australia went into a frenzy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so there's no cell service, obviously, there's no Wi Fi, there's no electricity. So if you're in a restaurant and this happens, they've got candles on the tables ready anyway. But you know, if your food that you ordered, if they didn't get it cooked in time, because they know when it's coming, so they try and get the food cooked in time. If they use gas, it's pretty fine, but if they you know, if your food for example, needs to be heated up in the microwave, I don't know, you can't have your food. They come to your table and they say, sorry, we didn't get your food done in time before load shedding, so we can't give you what you have ordered. You'll need to choose something else from our load shed menu and they have a menu specifically for where the blackout is at. And I was talking to a lot of people that live in South Africa and I just was like, you know, how how do you do this? And they're like, but it's just our way of life. That's what we've grown up doing. You know, back in the day, we had to make sure our laptops, our phones out, everything was charged before load shedding kicked in, so that we could have something to do in those two hours. And also, what are you doing those two hours? Nothing? They well, you can't even read because how have you got a light? You're reading by candlelight? Like that's not good for your eyes, you know what I mean. So you can obviously have generators, but they are very expensive and not many people in South Africa can afford to have a generator. Usually, you know, you could still go to the grocery store because they have big enough generators that when the power goes out, that kicks in the generators over there are also very loud. So when we when our hotel, would you know, the lodge we were staying in, when they had a blackout, you'd hear the generator come on and it was so loud. So if the blackout is from two am to four am, you're hearing that generator, and that generator only did the Wi Fi no lights. You also think about your hot water might not work if your hot water's on an electrical system. So many things to think about, so we had to like plan our days around. You know, your GPS in the car won't work. You know so many things. And I just don't know how many people know that that's happening, and that it's happened for years and years and years. I just assumed at first it must be like a new thing, maybe since COVID, you know, something like that. They're like, no, this has been happening like our entire lives, and it's getting worse and worse and worse over there. And I just don't know how many people know about that. So I had a blackout the other day and I was like, oh my gosh, feels like I'm back in South Africa with no no electricity. So there you go.
Speaker 1: You learn something new every day, and you learn something new on high scroll as ever single time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's move on to our royal flush of the week, best thing we've seen on the Internet. What do you got for us this week, Brittany.
Speaker 1: Well mine Neson. Well, it's not necessarily the best thing that I saw, but I thought maybe something good could come out of it, hopefully, who knows. I watch this person on TikTok named Bella. I don't know if you've ever seen. It's Bella Roberts and her user name is Bella Underscore does underscore editing. She's like a video editor, like professionally. Anyway, that's besides the point. She just posted a video and it was her. I don't know how old she is, but it was her. Only just realizing that her voicemail when people call and she doesn't answer the phone was really embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Oh what was that?
Speaker 1: Well, she must have recorded it when she was like a bit younger and she's like, hey, it's Bella. I can't get to the phone. Loll like she said, lol. Mind you. She's like a professional worker now and she's been sharing on her TikTok like trying to get a job in post production editing. So she's like, I've been going for job interviews and everything for like the last year and whatever, and she's miscalls and people have heard this really embarrassing voice recording. And I just thought I would ask you, Matt, when was the last time you checked your voicemailing?
Speaker 2: I don't know. And I was going to say, can you please call me? Yeah, put it up to the speaker and we'll do it for each other now, because I I would.
Speaker 1: Assume how do you even change it?
Speaker 2: Well, I would assume you go into your voicemail and then you got to you know, I don't know there'd be somewhere to do that in your settings, but I would assume mine is just the generic woman who comes on and says the person you are trying to contact. I'm assuming that's it. If it's not, I'm gonna be shock. Give us a call. Here we go and I'll hang up on you. Yeah, okay, here we go, hanging up.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: You called Matt. Sorry, I can't get to the phone right now. Just sleep me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Speaker 1: Thanks, that's not too bad.
Speaker 2: I sound fourteen, though, so well.
Speaker 1: I realized, Oh, I don't know what it would have been, maybe like a year or two ago. I don't know for what reason. I rang Aj and he didn't it no, And you know how sometimes when you set up your voicemail, all it says is after the tone, say your name, you know those one? So then I rang Aj for whatever reason and he didn't answer. And his he had clearly recorded it when he was like laying in bed not giving a fuck, like maybe just woke up or about to go to sleep, and his was.
Speaker 2: Like jo, but it didn't say like it's like, Hi.
Speaker 1: You have reached. I fucking rang him. I'm like, get the fuck on your voicemail being right now and change that. Because he's obviously now in business with me. We've got people calling us every day. There hearing him go yay, like so fucking embarrassing. Another story I have.
Speaker 2: Wait, can I call you first? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then I've got another fucking story.
Speaker 2: Oh I've it's called the wrong person twice. Heng we go, so hang up on me when you start ringing. Okay, let's check out your one. Hey, you've reached Brittany.
Speaker 1: I can't get to the phone right now, so leave a message and I'll get back to you. That's pretty good, but I do sound young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember if that's the one you've always had. Do you remember last time you changed your night?
Speaker 1: It would have been years ago. But I feel like I've said this on the podcast before, but I think I said it in like one of our first ever episodes, so I can say it again. I remember when my mum got her first phone. She was forty. She got it for her fortieth like Knokia thirty three fifteen, and I was so excited because I could play Snake on the phone. And I said, please, please, can I be the one to set up the voicemail? And she was like, yeah, sure, why not. I swear I already told you this story.
Speaker 2: I don't remember it though, Okay.
Speaker 1: I was honestly what nine or something, And I was obviously under pressure because youve got like the one chance to record it. And I said, Hi, we're not home at the moment, but if you could leave your name, your number, and your address, we'll get back to you as soon as we can. And that was her voice mel for ages a dread. I had no idea what you were supposed to say. That's fucking embarrassing. Well, I feel like I was, all right, do you want to know something else? I don't know if it was you that told me or one of the girls at work, but the like, I kid you not. It was the other month I learned that that is where you listen to your voice.
Speaker 2: Messages down in the corner of your when you go onto.
Speaker 1: The phone app. Oh my goodness, I had no so I never have listened to a voice message. What because I thought you had to call like three to one or something, and I didn't know what number it was. So I've never listened to one. And one of the girls pointed out to me, she's like, you just click that down there. I've got four hundred and twenty two listened to voice messages because I had no fucking idea. That's how you listen to it. So my little red bubble says, four hundred and twenty two.
Speaker 2: I think we're beyond voicemails, though, like I think, yes, center text, I don't answer any numbers I don't recognize, and I also don't leave a voicemail. And I also I'll listen to my voicemails, but I'm but I rarely get them. I think my grandma is like one of the only people who will leave me a voicemail mail these days. But even in business, when I get business calls and things like that, shoot a tech, no one's sending a voice voice mail. Well.
Speaker 1: I actually spoke about this on my story literally a couple of weeks ago, about because I don't know about you, but I've been getting an influx of random numbers calling me in recent months.
Speaker 2: And they're like telemarketers, yeah, same, but they're mobile numbers. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I say to AJ, like, have you been getting a heap? And he gets so many, especially at nighttime. Yes, and I love how savage he is. But I put this on my story and then everyone said I do the same. So I'm like, oh shit, maybe I'm not I should do this. AJ says if a random mobile number calls him and they don't leave a voice message or they don't text, he just blocks it straight away. What he blocks it straight away?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a bit full on, I know.
Speaker 1: But then I put that on my story, laughing at AJ, and everyone was replying saying I do exactly the same.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been answering recently, and I actually say, take my number off your system because they have to and they and I think that's been a workaround because I've been getting significantly less because also you know that sometimes the number that shows up isn't the number that they're calling from. They've actually got some system that puts a different mobile number savvy to what they're calling from. So anyway, yeah, I've been answering recently and saying, please take my number off this list because I used to work in a call center. Another little bit of a fact for you. You know how you can go on and do not call list, Like people will sign up to the do not call list. It means telemarketers can't call them. So I used to call a lot of people who said, how are you calling me? It's illegal to call me because I am on the do not call register. And it's actually not illegal to call you because our generator would just generate random numbers if they get your number from a list. Like you know, how there's data breaches or like you know, sometimes a company might sell your information to a telemarketing company, so they go through the list. If they sell your information and they get a list of numbers, they have to cross reference them with the do not call list, and if you're on the do not call list, they cannot call you. However, their systems have obviously they've got a loophole and they've worked around it. If the computer just generates a number and you happen to be on the do not call list, too bad, our system has just generated a random number and you've been called. So there are workaround So the only way that you can actually say no to them calling again is if you specifically say to them, take me off your list and do not call me ever again. Just a hot tip from you from someone who used to work in a call center.
Speaker 1: There you go. Wait, did you do cold calling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you would get you would get three. There were three different ones. There was warm calling, which were because I worked for a charity and so we would call and say hello, thank you so much for your donation last time. We're doing another drive now for so and so please would you like to donate, And the warm calls were basically almost guaranteed that they would donate to you again. And also warm calls was a privilege. You had to do your cold calls first. So cold calls was just you just called the random number.
Speaker 1: But anyone that does like a cold calling job. Yes, the abuse that you would.
Speaker 2: Call yeah, and then you had teppered as well. Teppered was they've shown interest or they have donated in the past, but they might not have donated last time. All the time, you know, the last three times for example, they're more teppid. So you would start on cold calls always, you'd work your way up to teppered and then you'd pretty much stay on teppid. But warm calls was like a bonus, like if you hit your bonus, if you if you were making X amount of sales, you would go up to bump up to warm calls, which then you'd make a lot more because we got paid a base rate, but then also a commission, which I talk about this in my show Dancing Queen that I'm currently on tour around the country for that. I used to work for the charity, and what I always think about is the fact that sometimes my pay for the day, they might have paid me like, you know, one hundred and twenty dollars to do the work for the day on the phones, but I may have only raised like forty dollars for the charity, And that always made me feel really guilty. So I always get a bit wary about like those big charities because I'm like, you know, how much of the money that I'm donating to you is actually going to the cause, because there were many times where they, you know, you just an off day where no one wanted to donate, and I'm like, you're paying me more than i'm making you for the company. And I guess it all comes out in the wash, because there'd be some people who are so good at their job they're making way above what they're being paid, but there'd be a lot that are getting paid a lot getting paid more than what they're bringing in.
Speaker 1: The last full time job that I had was working in an office, and this company called themselves a sports marketing company, and anyone that worked at this company or similar would call themselves a sports marketer, and essentially it's an MLM allegedly. So I worked at an office, but my role was actually a paid role because I would recruit all the people to go out onto the field to be sports marketers. But then we would work for charities, and then I would hire these people that weren't essentially hired, they were working for commission, and then they would go out to like out the front of posts officers and out in the front of woolies. And then it was my job to call up and say, hey, Hamilton Post Office, can we set up a stall out the front next week with two people to sell pins and badgers and all that kind of stuff. And it almost felt scammy in a way because we would give these people that we hired to work for commission like uniforms for the charities. But like you said, what we were raising by selling these pins and merch and everything, only a small percentage would actually end up going to the charity. And it felt a bit wrong. But then the argument was that company that I was working for, despite the fact that they took most of the money and only a small percentage went to those charities, they made up the most amount of donations that would go to the charity, if that makes sense, Like they were one of the biggest contributors to the charity overall because it was an Australia wide company. But it just felt so wrong in so many ways because we would hire all these people not hired, they would have to come into our office every morning or whatever before they went out on the field, and then they would have to do like all sorts of team training and stuff, and they got in a lot of trouble. I can't remember exactly what happened, but like for their team training bonding things like they'd make them do physical activities and shit, I don't remember, like embarrassing things and humiliating things. It was fucking a weird area to work in. And then they'd do like the big conferences every year. It was really MLMY and then just say you came to work for us on commission, you could then build a team underneath you, right, and then you would get commission off their pin sales. And it was really like a huge fucking MLM scheme. And then we'd go to these big conferences every year because it was all like showy and like guys in suits and whatever. And tim Omatic was there one time. Like the whole thing. It just felt fucking sur real. Yeah, but I had a real job there, like I was getting paid by the hour.
Speaker 2: I remember one of my friends invited me to a business seminar.
Speaker 1: It would have been one of these and they're everywhere these coming.
Speaker 2: Yes, And she said to me, oh, I knew she was a consultant for this particular MLM, and she said to me when I just started my YouTube videos and stuff like that, and she was like, you know, you've just started and you're getting some traction. This would be really good for you. If you come to this business seminar, you'll learn so much about how to run a business. There's a lot big focus on social media and blah blah blah. And I went, oh, yeah, okay, so i'll pay for your ticket as well. Tickets are eighty dollars, but I'll pay for your ticket because I really want you to come and experience it. And I went, wow, this is really nice, like this is good. And we went down and it turns out it was like one of the MLM conferences. There was not a fucking single lick of how to run a business or social media or another. It was an awards night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you was probably one of those things that we did. And then all the top sales people got up and won awards and trophies and everything, and it was all like, yeah, like it felt like a fucking cult. Yes, and they.
Speaker 2: Stand and cap and the thing was like I was like saying to her afterwards, I was so angry. I was so angry that I had been hoodwinked into coming to this like basically awards night for this MLM, which I knew it was run through. I wasn't that dumb, Like I knew that she was a consultant, and I knew that she was inviting me because it was run by them, but I expected I was smart enough to be like, I'm not joining an MLM, but I'll go because you know, at the crux of it, they might have some good business points that I can that I can apply to social media in my life and blah blah blah, I might learn at least something. There was nothing of the sort. It was just congratulating the top earners of the MLM, and I was just bored to tears. And afterwards I said to her, like, why did you waste my time with this? And she's like, well, because now you can become a consultant and then you can mode it on your social media and make money.
Speaker 1: I feel so bad.
Speaker 2: There's no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel so bad because there are so many MLMs out there and even still to like to this day, I'm sure you as well. Like I get people dming me saying I've got an amazing opportunity for you. And it's just sad how brainwashed people become, because like, and don't get me wrong, there are some people in MLMs that are absolutely killing it. Like obviously the people that started it are fucking killing it and all the top dogs, and if you've got a team under you, yeah, I'm sure you're killing it as well. But when you sign up to an MLM, you are the customer. Like that's how the MLM makes the money is from the reps. The thing that I don't like is they really drill into these people people's heads that this is your own business, but it's not at all, Like you're just selling someone else's products.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I want to.
Speaker 1: Reply and be like, oh, you're not owning your own business at all. You're just flogging someone else's product for a small commission.
Speaker 2: But also I'm like, do it because hopefully you learn your lessons. Yeah, because I mean, I I've also said before I was in an MLM which was the body Shop at Home. I loved it because one I believed in the products and two I was like, I'm not here for the whole recruiting people. I just want to get a discount on products and like sell it to my friends and family exactly. But like I think also, I learned a lot of lessons in that, yes, that I wouldn't have learned if I hadn't have taken that route. So I'm like, you know, let them do it and hopefully they come to their senses. Remember when the vegetable tablets went crazy, everyone was to you can have one pill and it has thirty six amino acids and fruit and vegetables and fiber and everything, and all you do is take one pill a day.
Speaker 1: So whenever I am at the shops or anything and I see people set up in the middle, don't donate to them, go and donate. Go to the charity. Because I remember for years after that when I obviously quit working there and pursued YouTube, every time I would see them set up, I'd go, I used to work for this company, Like, I know what you're doing and they're hustling, but just donate directly to charities.
Speaker 2: Well that was a very long I think you said at the start, I've got a quick royal flush.
Speaker 1: But that was wait, what was my royal flush?
Speaker 2: Oh? I can't even remember, babe of the.
Speaker 1: Everyone check your voicemail because you may be mortified at what you hear.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, my royal flush is from Kelsey Davis. She is on TikTok. Her username is KD eight one three two two. Honey sought that branding out please one hundred and seventy three k followers. She made a video the other day about a situation which I thought we could adopt to a bit of a pun there, and we could adopt on the podcast because she made a video about a switched at birth story. It's actually been in the news and a lot of people in the comments were saying, you know the outcome, which we'll get to, but basically, imagine this hypothetical scenario. So at five years old, mum and dad they've had a baby five years old. The dad was convinced that the baby wasn't his, and he was like, I want a DNA test because this is not my biological daughter.
Speaker 1: I thought he assumed that the mum was cheating.
Speaker 2: Well, he just assumed that the yeah, that she did.
Speaker 1: There with someone else and give her to someone else's kid.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Apparently he just felt he didn't feel that connection that apparently he thought he would feel. He also thought the baby didn't look like him, the daughter didn't look like him. You know. He was just like, this isn't my kid. So he got a DNA test and it came back negative and it said, no, this isn't your child. And you know, he said to the mum, you cheated on me. And she was like, there is no way I ever cheated on you. There's no way this is possible. Like that doesn't make sense in my brain because that's not happened. So the mum got a DNA test. Turns out the baby wasn't the mother's either. The baby had been swapped at the hospital, switched at birth at the hospital, and they found out that their actual child, who was also five years old, obviously was in foster care because their parents didn't do a very good job of raising them and ended up in foster care. And the whole thing of this video that Kelsey made, the whole conversation she started, was like, what would you do in that situation?
Speaker 1: I would have two daughters, right, that was the first daughter, and keep the other one that you've clearly raised for five.
Speaker 2: Years, Yes, and you just have two sisters twins. Yep, you know that's what I'd do. As well.
Speaker 1: But the fact that this happens, and I reckon it's happened more than we think.
Speaker 2: Well, the reason I thought i'd bring it up is because I read the comments, and you should see some of them. A lot of people were saying the same thing as us, like, immediately you'd have two kids, you'd go and get the other one and just have two kids. Of course, how could you give the other one away that you've raised for five years.
Speaker 1: Even though it's not, you know, technically your child, it still is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then people, so that was the outcome by the way of that story, that's a real story, and they are adopting the Sorry, that's not how it works. The foster care child is their child, so there was no paperwork, nothing there. The child they've been raising for five years. They've just had to adopt her and do the paperwork. The amount of people in the comments sharing their switched at birth stories is actually worrying. This person says, true story. I was switched at birth. They brought my mum a baby with black hair, and she remembered that I had reddish looking hair when I first came out. I was found in the foster unit for newborns. This was about to happen to me. Another person said, my sister was switched at birth, but my mum noticed straight away, thank goodness. My grandma was switched at birth. They tried to give my great grandma a boy and she had a girl. Like, what is going on? It says here in Canada, babies never go to a nursery. They are with mother. They are with their mother from birth to discharge.
Speaker 1: They never leave the room unless they have to go off to get special care or whatever. Then maybe that's when they get switched around.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an option. So basically, the nurse will ask from my knowledge, I've never had a child, obviously, but from my knowledge, it's like, you know, you've just given birth, would you like us to put the baby in the nursery where nurses will look after them so that you can get some rest. And a lot of people will say yes because they've just given back.
Speaker 1: Like when the babies are born, they like put a little bracelet on them or something to like identify them straight away. So it can't be fucking mixed up.
Speaker 2: Surely, says this happened to me. I got switched at the hospital and when the nurse brought a baby to my mum. She argued for over an hour that it wasn't her baby, and they finally found me and switched us back.
Speaker 1: Fucking hell. Imagine that, Like, your life could be so different if you would just switched at birth.
Speaker 2: And my thing is, could you sue the hospital?
Speaker 1: Probably? I think definitely in America with how many people get sued.
Speaker 2: True reckon, because this one says, easy fix, go and get your baby back from foster care, raise them both, sue the hospital for the mix up, and then leave two trust funds. God works in mysterious ways. Both babies will be safe forever.
Speaker 1: I'd be fucking doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel bad soon in a hospital though, yeah, you know, and like with.
Speaker 1: How under pressure hospital staff are and like how overworked they are, like and how many kids are fucking born every day, Like it's bound to happen. It's just a human error. Yeah, I say, get them a name tag.
Speaker 2: There's so many. This happened to my husband. They brought his mum a girl and she had to say, well, she's beautiful when I actually had a boy. Like I can't believe how often, like how many people have commented on that video, and the video has got over a million likes, so a lot of people have seen that video. But I mean, why could and I have been switched into a rich family?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what I was just thinking as well. Matter I wasn't going to say it, but I'm going to say it. What if you, like just so happened to be switched at birth, and you have been switched into like the Kardashians or whatever, and then, unlike that other baby that obviously ended up in foster care, let's say you've been switched and you didn't know, but you are in the richest fuck family, and then all of a sudden you find out this isn't actually your family. What if you don't want to leave your life, but you're only five, you have no.
Speaker 2: That's tough, but also, oh, that's real tough. But also I think the foster cares a bit of a different situation because they don't know that the people that were raising them they've obviously gone off somewhere. Whereas like if the Kardashians were raising me, I feel like I'd be keeping in contact. I think I'd be saying sorry, Joel. I think it's up to me to decide who my family is. Yeah, and then I don't know. I just feel more comfortable in the mansion in Calabasas. So I don't know. So yeah, that was my royal flash because it really got me thinking, I love a hypothetical question.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Matt. Yeah, now that you say that, you know I love Reddit. For any of you that don't use Reddit, Reddit is like my nighttime wind down because I know we all like jump on TikTok and stuff like as we're falling asleep. But when I don't want to feel like my brain is racing, I close TikTok and I open Reddit read things. So I have recently joined a Reddit thread which is called hypothetical situation, and it is people like I feel like you're gonna love this. It is people just making up hypotheticals and then everyone jumps in on the comments and says what they would do.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love this.
Speaker 1: So I'm just going to find some and read them out to you and we'll discuss.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is fun, this is fun. Okay, this is gonna be a fun episode.
Speaker 1: Here we go, you'll get one billion dollars and a life of luxury. But four hundred years after your death, humanity ends. Would you take the deal? Yes, you and your loved ones get to live in luxury for the rest of your lives, but humanity ends in the next couple of generations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sign me up. I feel like the way the world's gone, humanity's ended in a few generations anyway, don't I'd love to see the world in four hundred years, Like, I think it's going to be pretty abysmal. I honestly believe the people who are alive right now are the luckiest people ever, you know what I mean. Like, I feel like this, everyone who is alive right now is living probably the best of the world, if that makes sense, Because I'm like, we've got the technology, we've got everything. We're living like this. We're gonna have anything we wanted the tip of our fingers. But I feel like we're gonna teeter over that edge and it's gonna push too far soon, and maybe not in our lifetime, but maybe in a hundred years that technology will either come back to bart us with robots and AI and things like that. You know, think about twenty years ago or maybe like the nineteen nineties, they weren't so advanced yet, but they were kind of getting into that rhythm and then you know you're going further back, there were like other problems. People couldn't fucking vote, you know what I mean. Like right now, we've got a lot of good things. I know, not everywhere in the world, but I'm just talking about here, Like we've got a lot of good things at our fingertips and things are looking pretty good. But I think go forward one hundred years and you're the people who weren't rec cycle when recycling wasn't a thing, or like your aerosol cans and things like that, all those things I think will catch up in about one hundred years time. And I really think we're living in like the prime. I think this is the prime. Even with our pandemics and things like that, I still believe that this is the prime age to be alive, you know. And I mean we've got Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift's.
Speaker 1: Actually wild to think, Like, I know, we spoke about a few weeks back about death and stuff, but it's actually wild when you stop and think, in one hundred years from now, every single one of us are goin to be dead, and there's going to be people that we do not know living in the fucking future, and they'll have no idea who we were. All they'll be able to find is our stupid YouTube videos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have put on private anyway.
Speaker 1: All right, I've got my next hypothetical for you. You get five thousand dollars every time you get punched in the face. A challenge is made to you by a group of wealthy individuals, an offer that is good for ten year years. For every time you provoke a random stranger to punch you in the face out of anger, you get five thousand dollars automatically transferred into your bank account. The rules you must not know the individual. They must be at least fifteen years of age. You cannot bribe or let them know about the challenge you have been given. Any legal challenges or medical issues that happen during the challenge are not paid for, and they must be paid by you. So if you get hurt or whatever. Outside of these rules, you can go about this in any way you feel is necessary. How would you do this and how would you accept the offer?
Speaker 2: I probably wouldn't accept that offer. I just think like it's too much work for the bi per, Do you know what I mean? Like, it's just a little bit too much work having to provoke someone else.
Speaker 1: How would you provoke someone to punch you in the face? Just go into a bar and like push someone like that. Yeah, like that's going to be the ex sure fire away to get someone to clock you. Or you could go and kiss someone, like kiss someone in the club who's got their partner there with them.
Speaker 2: Oh then that's easy. Signed me up for that. Hello, that's an easy five grand. But I think trying to get trying to provoke someone to because also you could provoke them and they could stab you. You know what I mean? Too many real like to guarantee it's a punch. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's read some of the top rated replies. Yeah, so, I mean, why wouldn't I accept the offer? There is no downside. I can just accept the offer and if I happen to be punched in the next ten years, I get money, and if I don't, I don't get money, and absolutely nothing changes. That's a good idea. You may as well just accept it and if you just so happen to get punched, you get five grand.
Speaker 2: How many times have you been punched in your life?
Speaker 1: None? Really, yeah, what about it?
Speaker 2: Not even at the beachy.
Speaker 1: No, she didn't even throw a punch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been punched. I got punched multiple times, but one person at one time, and it was just a gay hate crime back in high school. And that's the only time I think I've ever been punched in the face owl. Yeah, I know, lots of damage to the face. At that point in my life, Jole, I was still growing, it was puberty, had to reconstruct the whole face back together. And that's the thing. That's why I said I wouldn't take the offer because I was thinking of that scenario. And I never provoked him, so I mean, I just provoked him for being who I was. Really like, he was just fed up with me being gay apparently. But anyway, the point is like I got punched in the face even without provoking someone.
Speaker 1: So it's like, yeah, most people in the replies are saying they wouldn't accept it. Really, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think getting punched in the face is a very common thing, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Good, well.
Speaker 2: Obviously, but then especially see but then by a stranger puts a spinner in the works, because technically I wouldn't have got five thousand dollars from the person that punched me because I went to school with him, so I wouldn't be eligible for my father. That's a dollar pay day.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's another one for you. Mat you find out your foot doctor is sexually attracted to your feet privately, but otherwise completely professional at work. Somehow you find out that your peddietarist is sexually attracted defeat possibly yours. If you didn't find out by some fluke, you would have never known. Yet they are otherwise completely professional and effective in doing their job. At what point should they not be a foot doctor? And when would you feel uncomfortable?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I'm not here to kink shame. I wouldn't be uncomfortable with any of that if they're doing their job properly and they're not.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, even if I knew, though, I feel like a podiatrist has to be a little bit into feet to be doing that job, you know what I mean? Yeah, you might you must have to at least enjoy feet a little bit. But I mean, if it's not interfering with the service, I don't really I don't really see a problem with that. I thought that was going to go somewhere, like, you know, if they offered you money, I mean, do what you want with my feet. If you're giving me money, dulling, I'll take a check. Need it?
Speaker 1: Can we wrap it up on that because I actually have to go.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, what you're busy? Are you?
Speaker 1: I've got another podcast and go on, okay, well talking to you then I wasn't in.
Speaker 2: The b Oh, that's all right, we'll leave it in any more.
Speaker 1: I've got another podcast to be on in half an hour.
Speaker 2: We're going And if if this episode wasn't good, it's Britney's fault because I had lots more to stay time come cut me off short, So that's fine. Sorry that this episode was only seven minutes long. I felt like it though. Anyway, I gotta love you. Leave. I don't forget. We upload our clothes friends on Fridays. You can raiate us five stars, leave us a refew, send us an email, or your info will be in the show notes for you. Anyway, don't I'd better let you go. I think I've been switched at birth