Speaker 1: Two bearings into very high levels of audience participation.
Speaker 2: And that makes a chill run down.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, I always sit well back at those shows. It's roesque for me.
Speaker 2: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. For some of us, summer in Australia means the beach, the cricket and a cold beer. For the sophisticated readers of our review section, summer also means the start of something even more scintillating festival season. First on the calendar is the Sydney Festival, and today I chat with my colleague Rosemary Neil. She's a Walkley Award winning writer and a shortlisted author, about one of the most anticipated shows at the festival, Dark Noon, complete with a cast of black actors in whiteface.
Speaker 3: It could have been a bad Lion King.
Speaker 2: This is Lumba Malango, but through.
Speaker 3: The process we chose the West End as our frame.
Speaker 2: He's the co director and choreographer of Dark Moon, which was created by Danish director To Beering. Dark Noon tells a story of race dislocation and violence. When Malungu says it could have been a bad Lion King, well that's the risk you take with an all African caste and a lot of singing. But this story is set in of all places, America's Wild West.
Speaker 3: We are the peopleations what we are.
Speaker 1: Dark Moon is a retelling of the story of America's Wild West from an outsider's perspective. In Dark Noon, the audience sitting up the front almost become cast members. They're called upon to take part in a square dance. They're called upon, more controversially, to take part in a mock slave auction. And this is all part of the broader retelling of the settling of America's Wild West from the perspective of outsiders. The key roles are performed by mostly black South African actors in whiteface and bad blonde wigs. And so I asked you about that. I asked, are you being intentionally provocative there? Because obviously white actors in blackface is absolutely forbidden, and for good reason. And he sees it the whiteface as a logical extension of reversing the conventions of the history and the storytelling and of the cowboy genre, and in particular its romanticized view of frontier history.
Speaker 2: Tue Bearing describes it like this, in Europe right now, debate is raging about immigration, largely from Africa and the Middle East, and it's reshaping the politics of the continent. But it's not so long ago, just in the past two centuries that vast waves of migrants were leaving Europe to try and improve their circumstances in America. They encountered indigenous people and all sorts of other outsiders, Chinese gold miners, women, and of course enslaved Africans. By using a South African cast, obviously he brings a whole lot of other history into this story. What do you think that adds to this very multilhit story.
Speaker 1: Well, the South African cast do tell their own stories at the end. They take some of the sort of motifs that you see throughout the performance, So toy guns are going off all the time, for instance, and they talk about the role of gun violence during and after apartheid and their personal experiences of it.
Speaker 3: I saw many many guns when I was young, and this is not a Western movie. For me, is different. It was life people who were slottering each other in front of me. The most perverse thing about a part date that it was law that no black person should hold hands or kiss or engage in that relationship with a white person.
Speaker 2: Another lad that we're going to be adding to it at the Sydney Festival is Australian audiences watching this in a place where we have our own very complex history of violence settlement. Is there particular relevance do you think for an Australian audience.
Speaker 1: Yes, in the sense that it is challenging that sort of Churchillian idea that it's the victors who get to tell and control the history. So I suppose an equivalent would be an aboriginal cast telling a theatricalized story of the first Fleet and also the dispossession, the frontier massacres, the good and the bad really come.
Speaker 2: That's what the most famous American musical of the past decade did. Hamilton used a black and brown cast to tell the storyory of the American Revolutionary War and the Founding Fathers. Does this bring Hamilton to mind for you?
Speaker 1: There are definite parallels there, and I guess it's part of a broader move to give a greater range of people voices and a questioning of who gets to tell what stories. Of course, that can sometimes cross into censoriousness and political correctness. I feel in that you have people saying, well, certain groups own these stories, and I don't agree with that, but certainly hearing from voices that have been excluded or forgotten or marginalized in riches a culture in Hamilton is an example of that.
Speaker 2: It's a movement that we're seeing play out in all sorts of different ways in the arts at the moment. So the new series of wolf Hall, The Mirror and the Light is going to include a much more diverse cast than the first season of wolf Hall. That this is, of course, is the telling of the story of Thomas Cromwell, the senior advisor to Henry the Ape in the Tutor Court in the sixteenth century in England. Ah at last.
Speaker 1: A man born in a more lowly state than myself, Cromwell, I knew to know something about you that I didn't like.
Speaker 2: Swear to be true and faithful. What's your view, Rosie, about diversity in casting and how hung up we are and how hung up we should be.
Speaker 1: I think it's been a revolutionary move and on the whole a good move. Every now and then there might be a context I can think of an Australian TV drama. I won't name it. You know, a rough outback town that years ago you would have characterized as a bit of a redneck town that sort of was presented as this multicultural paradi not paradise, but you know, a melting pot. And it just didn't ring true to me, much as the performances were very good, Michelle, and may I have this stance. On the other hand, when I watched Bridgeton you mean my Lord, Initially, you know, I sat thinking, well, you have black people playing aristocrats here, but the reality is that black people were enslaved by these same aristocrats in America, if not in Britain at the time. And is that historical denihalism a good thing? But on the whole, it's a fantasy. It's a romantic fantasy, and so I think it was exciting to see the casting done in that way. I interviewed a young Australian actress of color who'd got a lead role in a musical and that had normally gone to white performers. She'd said at drama school she just assumed she'd only have a career as a supporting actress, never as a lead. And when you hear that directly from someone a young person who's full of talent, working hard, that that's how they saw their career going as a university student. You think, well, that's just wrong. So on the whole, I think it's a good thing. I can understand when people think that perhaps the context is being a little distorted, suggesting that four or five hundred years ago in England that yes, there was this multicultural harmony and that racism wasn't the huge disabling force that it was for a lot of people. But then a lot of drama relies on the audience's suspension of disbelief. In any case, no James Bond film would work if we all sat there interpreting his talent for stunts. Literally, if we didn't suspend our disbelief, we wouldn't enjoy it.
Speaker 2: No, he manages to emerge from the sea in a wet sea, unzip it and have a perfectly pressed in a suit or underneath.
Speaker 4: Yes, here's perfect, exactly, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Rosemaryneil is an absolute machine churning out the stories for our review section, and every one of them is told with her characteristic expert touch. You can read Rosie's work and all the rest of the country's best coverage of the arts by picking up the Weekend Australian at your supermarket or servo, and anytime at the Australian dot com dot a slash review