Speaker 1: High Scrollers is produced on gadigul Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and Elder's past and present, always.
Speaker 1: Was, always will be Aboriginal Land. I'm Britney Saunders.
Speaker 2: And I'm all right hey, and this is high Scrollers, the podcast version of your favorite group chat.
Speaker 1: We've been sharing our lives online for over ten years, so who better to catch you up on everything that's going viral.
Speaker 2: Oh and we talk a little about ourselves as well.
Speaker 1: Coming up on this episode, I've made a discovery about myself and it was something that I did when I was fourteen, and I haven't thought about it until this very moment, but now it all makes sense.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of nostalgia in this episode. We also have a bit of a surprise for everyone right at the end.
Speaker 3: Yes, you stick around till then, and Britney predicts the.
Speaker 2: Next big pop star and I'm never wrong steal me and doll. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Good morning you.
Speaker 2: Elas Scrollers.
Speaker 1: How are you hello? Friends?
Speaker 2: Welcome? I have a question for you, Yeah, because you do some random stuff online, but I feel like I saw something a little bit more random than usual. Yeah, who the fuck? Were you with it outdoor in your sporting uniforms?
Speaker 1: The team?
Speaker 2: Who were they?
Speaker 1: The Wallaroos rugby Union.
Speaker 2: I need to know how that came about? How did that cross over?
Speaker 1: I loved it. That was just so out of the blue. And if you haven't seen it, it's on like my Instagram and TikTok. I just did a couple of collab videos with the Wallaroo's team the reason, and everyone in the comments is like, this is the most unexpected collab of the century. But also, and I'll tell you what after that, I also had a netball team, like one of the famous netball teams in Australia. So I'm in my sporting year. Yeah, okay, so how that came about is so outdo is mine and AJ's cafe in Newcastle next to our fate store. Surely everyone knows that by now, But even still people go, wait, you own a cafe.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, I mean even reading your book, you didn't mention your cafe in your book.
Speaker 1: I do mention it like a bit in the very first chapter. Actually, thank you very much. Really, I say, like picture this, you own a cafe, blah blah blah blah blah. Yeah, but I didn't do like a whole segment about it. But anyway, it's our cafe, and our cafe is on King Street in Newcastle, next to our Fate store, and right next to us is a big hotel m h. I don't know what hotel it is, the Mature, I can't be sure. Anyway, I got a DM on the outdoor account on Instagram from the official Wallarous Instagram account and it's like, Hey, the girls have been here all week and they've been loving coming to your cafe every day for coffees. Would you like, would we be able to come in and film? They wanted to just film some content of them like trying to make coffees and handing them out to customers and stuff, and I was like, of course. Now. I didn't know if they knew like me or my connection to the cafe, but I like screenshotted it and send it to our cafe manager Tom and he's like, oh, yeah, those girls have been here every day this week because there was a big game on the weekend in Newcastle. I think their first New Zealand don't quote me on that. And he's like, yeah, they've been coming in every week, every day they're super nice, and I was like, okay, cool, So I just replied to them and just said hey, of course like with seven am Friday work, and they're like, yep, see you there. But like I didn't know if they knew who they were messaging because I didn't sign off with my name or anything. Yeah, but then when I and then I because we have like one of our fate team members who does like content for us, she also like does the content for our cafe, just like once a week kind of thing. So I wasn't sure whether to send her in, but for some reason, I was like, oh go, so I went in at seven am, and then lucky I did, because like they wanted me to be in the videos. So someone in their whole team must have known that it was my cafe kind of thing and they wanted me to be in the content. So then we just had like a random hour at seven am on a Friday morning of making some funny content and like that one where we did the this week a hot new bombshell enters the villa. That was their idea, and like they had the jersey for me and everything, so they were just super nice. Shout out to the wallaroos. It was super random, but it just got me thinking because I was joking around to them saying like can I join the team? And they were like yeah, and I'm like, what did you see the video? And I said what does it take to be in the team? Where They're like, well, you got a coffee shop and I'm like, yeah, what else and they say, well you like coffee, So like I'm part of the team. But it got me thinking about sport as an adult because I've got some I've got some mixed feelings.
Speaker 2: Matt Okay.
Speaker 1: First feeling is I feel like I need to play sports. But also at the same time, I look at people that play sport as an adult if it's not professionally, and I say, grow up. Do you know what I mean? Like, unless you are playing sport professionally, Like imagine if AJ was still playing soccer like get over a doll even in primary school?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: You know, But after like meeting the team, I think I want to switch careers. Really well, it would just be fun.
Speaker 2: I've never been good at any sports. I've never been good at any musical instruments. I've never had a dancing I was good at dancing dancing is a bit different though, if you were still a dancer when you're thirty, isn't that Okay?
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to for the longest time to go back to dancing. Yeah, but like not that, not that I so like I would. I did zoomba a couple of years ago, but just at like a whole like with all the oldies.
Speaker 2: And that's to do one called dance fit.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 2: It was similar to zumba but not so much Latin.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 2: Just do Yeah, absolutely, it's such a good workout as well. But yeah, I would love.
Speaker 1: I would love to go back to proper dancing. But then I feel like, Okay, I don't think I'm better than anyone. I don't think I'm like a famous person at all. But I've been hesitant to join a dance school because people obviously follow me online and they know me from online and fade and TikTok and everything. Like sometimes when I'm out and about in public, I can see people from a distance taking a photo of me. So then I've always thought, would that be weird if I just was like, hey, I'm joining this random local dance school in Newcastle, and there's like I don't know younger girls there or whatever that watch TikTok and they're going to be all funny, like like I just want to join a dance school and be the same as everyone else whereas people go she's from TikTok, like I'm going to take a photo with her, and I just think that would be weird. Yeah, And then I'm like, maybe I could do private lessons.
Speaker 2: Because imagine, you know, like on a different scale, imagine you know, you've gone down to do a zoomber class and Nicole fucking Kidman's in it would go.
Speaker 1: The oldies at the hall doing zoom but none of them knew anything, you know. And again like I don't think I'm any famous person. I think I'm no one. Like I would go to a dance school and be like, hey, I'm here to do the adult tap class. The people might just be like what the fuck is she doing? You know, especially in Newcastle, like it's.
Speaker 2: Like seeing It's like I feel like when because I even went into t K Max not long ago, and the girl in there recognized me and she worked there, and she started you know, screaming, causing big fuss. Can I get a pharaoh blah blahlah. But she kept saying to me over and over, I can't believe you're here. I can't believe you're here. And I'm thinking in a TK fucking Max doing my shopping, like what, well, I can't believe you're standing in this shop that I work in.
Speaker 1: And I was like, that's like what I'm in my Faith stores, and they go, I can't believe I'm I work here. This is the company I owned as over here. People have said that before, and I'm about to I'm on my book to it right now as this episode's going live, and I know people will be like, I can't believe I'm meeting you. You can't believe you meet me in my own sucking shop. Who of course you are.
Speaker 3: People are funny, It's so funny.
Speaker 1: People are funny. But anyway, but.
Speaker 2: That's the thing I think they like. It's like seeing a dog walk on its hind legs. Remember that an analogy of seeing a teacher outside of school.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like when someone's just online, it's weird to see you to meet them in person, And maybe when people as saying I can't believe you here, like that's what they mean. It's just weird because they're and people have probably said it to you. People say to me, it's so weird to actually see you in person after watching you online for five years or however long. Maybe that's what they mean. But I really, I really want to go back to dancing. But I've been saying that forever, and I'm like, what's stopping me? I think it's just a fear. Yeah, people saying, what the fuck is she doing here?
Speaker 2: Oh well, I did play a little bit of tennis for a hot second, and by that I mean literally fifteen minutes before Toby moved to Spain. We went and just down at local court and because you know in the parks, they've just got the free tennis courts you can use, and we use the tennis court for a little bit and I probably hit the ball about seven times, but I was fucking obsessed with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 2: Tennis is so fun to do this.
Speaker 1: Every day I think about it.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do any of the ones that you've got to run again. Maybe I did soccer.
Speaker 1: Maybe four years ago I joined a couple of my friend's nighttime netball team at the Forum in the UNI in Newcastle. There was two things that pissed me off about it. Number One, the game time every week was different, so sometimes it'd be like six thirty and other times it'd be eight thirty, and like eight thirty on a week night, it was like a Tuesday night. That pissed me off. The second thing that pissed me off about it, I thought I was just signing up for like fun, like it's just fun adult netball at night.
Speaker 2: But they were competitives. Oh it was.
Speaker 1: And so I've actually got a funny story about me doing netball when I was a kid. But I did netball all through primary school and high school, and so I just thought, oh, yeah, adult netball fun at night at Newcastle UNI. Fun. No these women, and it's like women of all ages, Like there was older women, younger girls. They took it really fucking serious, like it was too serious for me, Like they were shoulder charging getting pissed off. I'm just running around trying to catch my breath the whole game because I haven't played netball in like over ten years. But I couldn't do that anymore. Do you actually want to know something funny? So I did netball like I started it when I was like five and did it through primary school and then in high school and then I must have been thirteen or fourteen I was playing like at Newcastle Netball because yeah, anyway, I don't know why I'm rambling on with that, but there's all like the main clubs when you play netball, like Wests or South's or whatever. But I realized when I was and again I think this is the fucking business owner in me mat now that I think about it. What I realized was I could make it independent netball team and we didn't have to be part of a club because you know how like all soccer teams, netball teams they're part of the club. I realized. I literally didn't even I haven't thought about this, but I made my own independent team and then I scouted girls from my school to be in our team.
Speaker 2: And wait when was this?
Speaker 1: I would have been fourteen. Oh, and so you just sign up like with the like kind of netball courts as your own independent team. Then you don't have to be part of a club, so you don't have to do the training or anything, because like when you play I used to play for West, so we'd have to go to the courts near West and you have your coach and do your training and whatever. So I sign us up as our own team. I designed our own dresses down to the colors and everything. I named the team the Blizzards.
Speaker 2: Wait, how did you just join in? Did you have to pay?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Then I think you paid a register in the competition. And then I scouted a heap of girls from my school in my year and the year below, and they had all previously played and there was a couple of friends from outside of school too, and they had all played like a grade netball, so we're all actually like really good netballers. And so then you just would show up every weekend like you'd get the schedule, and you just got put into the competition, but you're not with the club, like you're just a solo independent team. And now the great thing about that was we didn't have to do training because I used to love playing netball, but I hated going to training like on a weeknight in the freezing throwing the ball around, fucking running up and down.
Speaker 2: Day. And then we play on Saturday.
Speaker 1: So I think the girls and I we met at Newcastle netball courts, I think once or twice to try to do training, but we didn't have a coach or anything. It was just us fucking around and then we gave up on it and we were just all about the Saturday games. Like just loved going to netball on a Saturday, like one o'clock or whatever. And I think in Newcastle this is so niche. But like West and South, like South's Merriweather were always the best teams, like they were always the ones that won the Grand Final. We fucking won the Grand Final and we won against South's Merriweather. And these girls are really good. They had a really strict coach, like an older woman. And I remember on Grand Final day like I can't couldn't believe that we got to the Grand Final because we never trained, like we just showed up. We just showed up. And Grand Final Day we all rock up with our bacon and egg rolls and we're just like that's what it was all about for me, Like the canteen had our bacon and egg rolls, our bags and lollies, our chips. It's Grand Final day. We rock up in our there was blue, purple and white. The dresses that were how.
Speaker 2: Did you get the dresses? Did someone else make them? Or are they just soup prey.
Speaker 1: It's they're like the proper dress with the skirt. I went to the Newcastle Netball shop and you could like have them like up lock it up for you and make it.
Speaker 2: So really that was the That was the bizarre.
Speaker 1: It was blue, purple and white. I remember picking out all the colors and where it was going to go and then we had the name on the side. And so we show up on Grand Final day and the South's team that we were versing, they'd already been there definitely for like an hour warming up, like and the coach is yelling on them at bacon and egg rolls like hey girls, and we were kind of friends with some of them, like on the opposing team, and then we flogged them wow, Like I think we won by like twenty wow. And it was just hilarious because that was just us being super lazy, wanting to play netball but hated having a coach and hated doing training. We just want to show up for the canteen.
Speaker 2: Like. So my question is if you can do it independently like that, I wonder what the point of having the club is because my whole thing is, like I thought the club might have paid for certain things or no, you still.
Speaker 1: Pay for everything when you're with the club. I think it's like the convenience and also like saying that you play for the club like I used to play for Wests and then you're in the West's uniform. Yeah, you have the coach like we usually had, like a guy coach, someone's dad or whatever, and you pay to be part of the community. Right Whereas we didn't want to do any of that. We just wanted to get bags and we just did it the one year and that was it. What a good memory. Honestly, I'd do it again. Does anyone listening if you're a Newcastle.
Speaker 2: Well I was going to say you need to, like you could do it, but I was just thinking all your friends have kids.
Speaker 1: True, but maybe we've got some scroll that you can have kids and play netball.
Speaker 2: I know, but it's hard on a weeknight at eight thirty to do your netball.
Speaker 1: No, well, this is Saturday netball. This is like the proper, like the proper netball. So if anyone out there listening is from Newcastle, I would do it because like one o'clock on a Saturday, two o'clock perfect, just for an hour fuck the training, fuck the coach. Just show up, get a bacon and egg roll, get a bag of snakes. That's what I'm all about, and then get like a fat can of coke.
Speaker 2: After that big packet of red frogs.
Speaker 1: And I think when you register, this is just another memory that popped up. Any club or independent team that registers with netball, I think two times in a season you have to work in the canteen, because you know how, the canteens are run by volunteers as well. But somehow we got out of it both times.
Speaker 2: But I think because yeah, see that doesn't make sense. The independent doesn't make sense to me. I'm pretty sure like you, I'm pretty sure it's the club that runs it.
Speaker 1: No, then I remember us saying when we signed up, two of us at some point have to do the canteen one day kind of thing. But we somehow got out of that as well. It was perfect anyway. I don't know if independent teams are still a thing. So anyone got kids out there who play netball these days? I don't know, let me know, But that was an entrepreneurial thing I did back when I was fourteen and the Blizzards were fate I just didn't know it.
Speaker 2: Please be upstanding for the royal flush. Well, it's time for our royal flush of the week. Mine's a nice, quick little one. But it's one of those moments that it happened over the weekend. So over the weekend on Saturday, I decided it was just a bit of a rot day for me. I love rotting.
Speaker 1: See I love it too, but I get so guilty mat.
Speaker 2: Get over that. I can't now get a grip.
Speaker 1: Girl, No, but even down to like, so Sunday was my rot day?
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: But I lay in bed and I'm scrolling and then I think of, like all the clothes that I could wash, or I think of my wardrobe and how I could sort it out. So then I get up for a bit and do a little bit. Then I go back to the rock. I feel so guilty knowing all the things that I could be doing.
Speaker 2: See, I'm like, you do that the day after the rot or the day before the rot. Yeah, you know, so the clothes and everything that needs to get done on Sunday if I'm going to rot on Saturday.
Speaker 1: But there's just to me, there's always more that we can do, and I can't mentally get over that.
Speaker 2: Well, go to therapy, because I honestly could not disagree. More like, I'm like, switching off is the healthiest thing you can do for it.
Speaker 1: I agree, But I got something wrong with me because I just lay in bed like to have a day, and I'm like, I can't because I can't stop thinking of all things that I could be doing instead, I still do a rot all.
Speaker 2: I wish I had that attitude, but I'm glad I don't because I love a rot. I love rarati in bed like a fucking apple core, Like right, I want to go muldy at this point. Honestly, I had my rotting on Saturday and I was obviously scrolling on the tiktoks and I came across this video and I was laying in bed and it was raining outside.
Speaker 1: Of perfect I feel less guilty if it's raining outside and I don't know why, because there's still shit to do.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what this TikTok was. It said, when you're rotting in bed on a Saturday and it decides to rain, and you could hear the rain in the background. The sound was something like, oh no, that's right, And I was like, that is so mean right now, And it's such a royal flush for me because I'm like, it's honestly so relatable, like when you have a day to rot in bed on a Saturday, for example, and you're laying in bed and then you hear the rain come and you're go, fuck, yeah, the blinds are class you're in the darkness. Oh my god, it was just heavens. That's my royal flush of the week, was that moment of pure blue.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I'm loving lately. I feel like I've been loving it for a while. Actually having Friday night. I mean, it's different for you because you don't like work a traditional Monday to Friday job, but I do, so like my weekend is very much my weekend kind of thing. But for those of you that do work full time and have your weekends off doing your thing, like having your night out on a Friday night, so you've got the rest of the weekend to enjoy. Because I feel like when I have an event on a Saturday night, let's say it's someone's birthday, engagement or whatever, I feel like that takes up my entire weekend, Like there's my whole weekend gone for sure, because like the Saturday, you're like getting ready for it. You don't do anything on the Friday night because you've got something on the Saturday night. So like, for example, it was AJ's brother's birthday, so we're like going to his birthday on a Saturday night. So like we didn't do anything on the Friday night because we've got the birthday on the Saturday night. And then I didn't really do anything on the Saturday because I've got and because it was starting at like two pm, so I didn't do anything. And then if you have a really big night, then like you wake up on Sunday. Yeah, And so I'm all for having Friday night be the big night of the weekend for those people that have like a traditional weekend.
Speaker 2: I mean, Friday for a lot of people is the new is the new Saturday because a lot of people work from home on a Friday, so their Thursday night is actually their Friday night.
Speaker 1: Why because they just hungover at home?
Speaker 2: No, but I mean Friday, you know, speaking of if you have something on Saturday night, you don't do anything all Saturday. I feel Friday night could be the same these days because a lot of people work from home on Fridays. So what I'm saying is Friday, you're not really doing anything until the Friday night anyway.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And so I'm all for it, Like date night on Friday night, have a party on a Friday night, because then you've got all day Saturday, all Saturday night, and all Sunday to enjoy and relax on the weekend. So I'm here for it. Another thing that I would like to do, which I feel like we've spoken about on the pod before, is like doing more things on weeknights. And again it's because I work a traditional like Monday to Friday life. Weeknights, I don't do anything because I've got work the next day. But I want to try and venture out of the house on weeknights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have date nights throughout the week as well.
Speaker 1: I need to try it. I've never tried it, really.
Speaker 2: No. We love a Tuesday date night. Fuck, it's quiet, you get the waitresses full attention, everything's perfect because they're cooking everything fresh. Oh, I love a Tuesday night date night. Monday, everyone's still in weekend mode. Yeah, so the brain farts on a Monday. Tuesday's a good night.
Speaker 1: I reckon Thursday as well, because it's like close to the weekend, so it's almost like you're mentally starting the weekend.
Speaker 2: I always have a theory that Thursday traffic's always fucked. I don't know why traffic on a Thursday. I think it's too close to the weekend. People's brains are starting to switch Roe.
Speaker 1: I live in Newcastle. There's no traffic. People that live there would disagree. Actually, there is traffic in certain parts of NEWI, but where I live everything's five minutes away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, fair enough. I think Thursdays, I don't know what it is, but the traffic's always cooked. Maybe it's late night trade, yeah, people leaving at different times. I don't know. But yeah, so what was that your royal flush or you haven't told you?
Speaker 1: That could be my mini royal flush. Do something on a weeknight because we just get home from work, lay on the lounge, cook dinner, eat dinner. If you're mean, you don't cook dinner, you order it and then you go to bed.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Really, you never cooked dinner?
Speaker 1: Really? What? Yeah, we've had this conversation before us still though, Yeah, what you think I've changed in six months?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Well, yeah, that's a real long time to get your shit together. You just order every.
Speaker 1: Night, not every night, I would say maybe four nights. Yeah, but that used to be my life and I'm busy, mate, come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so yeah, still, what do you get? Take me through a week?
Speaker 1: Like? It's just different every night? Tie? Indian? Yeah, Chinese?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you do you do the groceries?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm yeah maybe once a month.
Speaker 2: I am moving in.
Speaker 1: Once a month. But I do like a massive shop and like I freeze stuff, you know, but I don't do groceries every week now. Nice, and because like especially lately, I'm away like most weeks for like two nights, or I'm away for a week like with work.
Speaker 2: So it's been annoying me lately. I've been all over the shop and I keep buying.
Speaker 1: And then it all goes out and then I don't.
Speaker 2: Fucking do it. Yeah. I feel like food deliveries gotten so expensive. It used to be pretty reasonable and now I'm like a basic meal for one person can be almost one hundred dollars. What's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: Anyway. What's your Royal flush of the week? Please?
Speaker 1: Well, my Royal flush is actually music related and it's an artist that I think is and I think the whole world thinks this too. I think it's an artist that is very underrated and she doesn't get the recognition that she deserves. That's not to say she hasn't had like she's had some absolute bangers, but I just feel like she is like pop star, top tier quality and she just doesn't get the praise that she should or the hype that she should. She should be up there with.
Speaker 2: And I guess, yeah, she should be up there with who.
Speaker 1: Like with the stars that are on the rise. Now, you're Tate McCrae, Addison Ray, even Sabrina Carpenter level.
Speaker 2: Right, I can have three guesses. Okay, is Apha Max No? The second is bb Rex so no.
Speaker 1: But she should get more recognition. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Oh I need more clues than for blonde hair. Yeah, that's two of the people.
Speaker 1: She's had bangers too, Like we know her hits, but she always has a hit and then it just like she goes into the quiet.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. I don't want to say Ellie Guilding. No, Right, I need another clue, give me another clue.
Speaker 1: I don't really know that much about her. Oh, she has three million followers on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Hmm, I n followed Jojo Seewhill.
Speaker 1: By the way, the other day you ue followed her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, face just thinking because you said blonde TikTok. She came to mind.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you want me to tell you who it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Go on, it's Zara Larson.
Speaker 2: Oh. I couldn't even name one song from her.
Speaker 1: I just want to be part of Fanny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that my day.
Speaker 1: As if it was less like she had done so many songs that we know, I would lack to get to know you, baby.
Speaker 2: I don't know if she could. I mean, anything is possible after Charlie XCX. I mean people forget that she's been going at it forever. People, I think, did you when she started singing?
Speaker 1: I don't care. I didn't know that was her song. No, I just see that as like a Carl's add or whatever it is KFC. But I had no idea that was Charlie X.
Speaker 2: Everyone forgets about Fancy as well. I'm so fancy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, is that her?
Speaker 2: Here you go?
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like the Zara Larson is the same. She has had so many bangers and has been going for so long, and like she'll have a song pop up and then it just like falls down, not falls down, but you know what I mean. Anyway, she's got a new song. Is it called messy or ugly? Okay, it's called pretty ugly? Was it it was called pretty or ugly? It's called pretty ugly. It's amazing, Like she's amazing. It's singing, dancing on stage, She's amazing. I'm surprised she hasn't like had her moment yet where then she's playing at Coachella.
Speaker 2: We haven't had a song of the summer yet.
Speaker 1: I think this is it because she's just you need to go and listen to the whole thing and watch the music.
Speaker 2: Very girly, though some of the summer needs to appeal to the masses.
Speaker 1: True, maybe it isn't her song of the summer, but she's just like I follow her on TikTok and she just she's also so funny, Like she's got a really strong personal brand and like isn't afraid to be her self on social media and post tiktoks all the time, which I feel like some celebrities are missing.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there some sort of controversy with Zara Larson and that's what stunted her growth.
Speaker 1: Anyway, didn't she not that I'm aware of?
Speaker 2: Didn't she come for somebody?
Speaker 1: Zara Larson controversy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just type that in she tweeted something to someone.
Speaker 1: Zara Larson is embroiled in a feud with an influencer who falsely claimed he was using a homophobic slur, later saying it was satire. Zara Larson called out a TikToker who accused her of saying a homophobic slur on stage. The singer described herself as an ally and said that the accusations were clearly a joke.
Speaker 2: I don't know, no, let me go google girl. It was it was to James Charles?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: It was to James Charles? She tweeted something about James Charles and it was in that big drama. Maybe it wasn't Zara.
Speaker 1: Larson though, maybe it was someone else. Oh yep. Zara Larson apologizes to James Charles after accusing him of flirting with her boyfriend. Yeah, singer Zara Larson, this.
Speaker 2: Is when the drama geddon happened with Tarti West.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's a photo of Tati here and uh, I wasn't Across all.
Speaker 2: Of this, Zarah Larson has made amends with James Charles after accusing the YouTuber of direct miss her boyfriend to flirt as allegations of his predatory behavior came to light on the Internet, then in James Charles. In James Charles's response by a sister or whatever, he called that, remember that big video which I still fucking watch once a year, And I go back and I.
Speaker 1: Go, wow, I didn't get into any of this. I remember just seeing little clips of it, but I never knew the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, say what you want about James Charles, whatever that video was, it's what.
Speaker 1: Did he do was he got snapping back at touch.
Speaker 2: He just came out with all the receipts to prove everyone wrong and left nothing on the table. And I went, whoa, Like that's how you clear your fucking name because that was wild. Like I was like whoa, And yeah, Zarah Lasting came out and said, like cackling because he hit up my boyfriend in the DM several time times, knowing damn well he's straight. But then James came out with a proof to be like, this isn't exactly what happened, and then she apologized in the end to James did a tweet saying, I always try to best, always try my best to learn and apologize if I'm wrong. I'm sorry James Charles for getting involved before I actually knew the truth and for the anxiety you must have felt about everything. I'm pretty sure Zarah Larson as well is, like you know, quite has quite a culty fan base and online, especially on Twitter, at least back in the day. I don't know what it's like now that it's x but you know, back in the day, I feel like she had like a cult kind of following. Anyway, I can't find much more at the moment about exactly what James said in that video, but I can't be bothered going and finding it anyway.
Speaker 1: But yeah, maybe that's why.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember that being a really big thing and people being like, that's not good enough that you did that, because obviously then it just added fuel to the fire. And I mean, I know James Charles is quite problematic and has done a lot of things, but at that time I think he was getting a lot of unnecessary hate and coppying a lot unnecessarily. She added fuel to the fire, right and people weren't happy about that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, well, anyway, I like the new song, and I think she's a great It's a great singer and dancer, and you just need to go watch the music video. And I didn't know that she was involved in any past drama because I fucking can't keep up. Well, something I've been loving on TikTok in the recent weeks, Matt is. I don't know if it's just these two creators or if like it's a trend and everyone's doing it, but I've favorited one of their videos. It's things that we're happy we never have to do again, or just things that we're happy to never do in general.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, things we've.
Speaker 1: Just never done that we are so glad we never.
Speaker 2: Have to do it. And you mean like mundane sort of things. That isn't like the anti buckelist we did. This is just like more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, random little things. Okay, so let's listen to these two. This is so well. Girls on TikTok.
Speaker 4: Were happy we never have to do again. That I never have to use a frat house bathroom ever again. So happy I never have to take the sat ever again. Preach I never have to call my friend's parents and ask if they're home.
Speaker 1: Ever again.
Speaker 4: Never have to post my prom dress for approval and a Facebook group filled with teenage girls.
Speaker 1: We never did that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, is that a thing where they go, this is my dress, no one else.
Speaker 1: That's kind of smart so that people don't shot wearing the same thing. What's something that you're glad you never have to do again? Ah?
Speaker 2: Take my learner driver's test, like or sorry, no, the one to get your peas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the physical driving driving.
Speaker 2: To get your pee plates, your p license.
Speaker 1: Did you do yours in an order? A manual order, Yeah, I'm manual.
Speaker 2: So stressful, like just so stressful. I remember it being so scary.
Speaker 1: I remember my Nan and Pop as a present when I got my l's they purchased me some driving lessons with the NRMA, because you know, he can go to driving school or whatever. So Nan and Pop purchased me however many and I had this really nice, old lovely man that was my teacher every time, and like obviously I was learning with Chaz but also with the driving school. And so that morning of my test, he took me for like a one last drive and then I did the test in like his car that I've been learning in, and I got him straight away, same slay. Did you have to do a three point turn or a reverse park?
Speaker 2: I think I was three point turn?
Speaker 1: Oh lucky, Yeah I did reverse park.
Speaker 2: Be sure you don't do by.
Speaker 1: Not you only do one or the other? Or back then you only did one or the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember, but I think it might have been a three point turn.
Speaker 1: I'm also glad that I never have to do.
Speaker 2: That good at reverse parking though, always have been.
Speaker 1: What without a reversing camera, Yeah for sure. Shit, see I feel like I've become so dependent on the reversing camera.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, now it would be probably a different story. No, but I still remember you up to the window, back a meter, turn your wheel completely in. Yeah, put yourself in. They're done.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what's always hard, though, reverse parking when you're on the right, you know, when you do it like you used to going left, and then when the weird times that you park on the right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What are some things that you are glad you never have to do again?
Speaker 1: I am glad that I never have to line up outside a nightclub again. I couldn't think of anything fucking worse. And I can't believe I used to voluntarily do that.
Speaker 2: Hey, you'd stand there for half an hour in the.
Speaker 1: Freezing cold in winter with my Jeffrey Campbell wedges in a mini slipskirt from soup prey. Yeah, I'm glad. I'm so glad that I never have to go clubbing again. Well I probably will, to be honest, but just like lining up voluntarily outside a nightclub.
Speaker 2: I am glad I never have to go on school camp. Oh really, because although school camp was fun, I don't think it was worth the shivering. Remember getting up at six am?
Speaker 1: I can't remember. Yes, I was at one waking the kids up.
Speaker 2: And then that just the food was having to just do team building exercises with people you never would have even spoken to at school.
Speaker 1: Remember when you have to do an activity and you'd all hold hands in a circle whatever, with the point that you didn't want to hold his so mean.
Speaker 2: I am glad I never have to do a test again like hs C VIS.
Speaker 1: Yeah me too, I used to get so stressed about that. I'm also glad that I don't have to have homework ever again. But in saying that, like is starting a business and working at home just doing homework constantly for.
Speaker 2: The rest of your life. Yes, I'm glad I never have to sit in a school assembly and have my feet go numb and get pins and needles in me legs from sitting on the ground with my legs crossed and having to listen.
Speaker 3: To all the fucking bullshit that goes on the assembly. He welcome to the assembly. This is everything. Year sevens are doing a cake stool next Tuesday. Bring a gold coin donation for your Mufty day next Frida, Like, just fucking do they still do school assemblies or surely everyone's just getting a text these days. Surely just send out a text, you know, just sit there for forty minutes.
Speaker 1: And when you ever sit on the grass and it was wet.
Speaker 2: And remember the the principal would always do a speech as well at the start and recap the week before and all the things.
Speaker 1: It's a quick whip.
Speaker 3: It's quick.
Speaker 2: It's kind of what's the word, not dystopian when you think about it, but it's kind of it. Very school assemblies give dictatorship now that I think about it, don't they, you know? Because I remember my school principle in like year eleven or twelve, E'd stand up there and he'd give a speech like his life fucking depended on it, you know, like he'd be getting to pay rise if this speech did any work. But he tell us about when he climbed Mount Everest and all this, and I think it was too still some sort of like drive into all of us. But it's eight fucking degrees in the middle of the winter and I'm sitting on cold ashphalt in the quad with my legs cross.
Speaker 1: Our plass on a field. See high school, we would do it on the field, and we'dn't just sit there pulling the grass out like we're just ruined the grass. Then we get yelled at for that.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yeah, school assembly is so strange. And then you'd have someone from the SRC representative come up and say something. And I almost want to go and experience this school assembly just one more time.
Speaker 1: Teachers, can you let us know please in our broadcast channel. Do school assemblies still happen the same yeah as they did back in the day or is it just a little text or a notification in some app now? Because they'll tell you what's wild to me. We've spoken about it on the pod before the fact that you do a school lunch order on the app. Now that's crazy to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Something else that I'm glad that I never have to do again. While we're on the topic, just going and chatting with your school careers advisor. Oh yeah, I dreaded that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or just excursions in general.
Speaker 1: Well, I would go as far as saying I'm glad. I mean I probably might at some stage in my life, but I'm glad I never have to go on an excursion on a bus because I get motion sickness so badly. And I was just that kid that was sick the whole three hour drive.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't understand why you get motion sickness so badly.
Speaker 1: It's got something to do with the water levels and your ears.
Speaker 2: And your eye. Surely you can go to a doctor and get some sort of operation for that, because it pissed everyone. It pisses everyone off. You know what. Sorry, Where where were we and you were getting motion sickness.
Speaker 1: In the Weimo?
Speaker 2: Oh no, there was somewhere else as well. Yeah, it was the Waimo that was a self drive.
Speaker 1: There's something else, somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I think there was so somewhere else. Oh, I don't know, but yeah, or maybe on the coach Ella coaches. Yeah, I don't know. Anyway, there.
Speaker 1: I remember when Aj and I went to Bali one time and we caught a boat, like we went going on like a surfing trip. So we caught a boat out to the middle of the ocean and then the boat dropped us, and so we were just sitting on our surfboards. I was getting motion sickness on that and I couldn't get it to go away because I was just in the middle of the ocean like there was no land. Worst feeling. Doesn't Sky get it too, Yeah, he does, worst feeling. I hate it.
Speaker 2: I just think, grow up. You know, it's motion sickness is not a real illness. Okay, You'll just need to suck it up and move on.
Speaker 1: It only sucks because I get it on rides, so I just can't do rides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's just pathetic. Grow up anyway? What else? Anything else? I can't think, if anything else that, I am glad I never have to do again except hand in a resume, hand in a physical resume at a shop. You know, you'd print out your resume and you go down to bay Villeage and you'd go to every shop you wanted to work in and you go, hell, I just want to hand in a resume, and you just knew they were throwing it in.
Speaker 1: The places that you really wanted to work when you were younger, and you didn't ever like apply there or get a job. Because for me, the two places that I wanted to work so badly, first of all was Boost Juice because everyone that worked there was so cool and they wore the bandanna like I think That's why I wanted to work there. And the second place was sou Prey.
Speaker 2: Okay, mine was time Zone. I loved time Zone. And the other place I really wanted to work was KFC. And I put in an application for KC and they rejected me almost straight away. So I put another application in and they rejected me almost straight away again, and I went, this is strange. Then I I applied for a different store on the Central Coast, and I was just making my way around them all and I was applying and I just kept getting rejected all the time. And I said to one of my friends who worked at case. I said, because at this point I'd been unemployed. This was even this was after high school. And I had I had a job on the coast, working at Perfume Forever, which is still at Tagra. I I went to Tugra and Perfume Forever is still there and I was working there. But then this was around the time, you know, we'd all finished high school and people were going to People were leaving the Central Coast at the time, so people were going and getting jobs. I mean, everyone was kind of still living on the Central Coast, but they were getting jobs in Sydney or I had a friend going to the Fashion Institute in Sydney. Everyone was starting to go to different universities in Sydney and they were kind of escaping the bubble of the Central Coast. And at the time, I was like, I want to do this as well. And I was friends with a few people who were getting jobs in a call center down there, and I applied with the job and I got it, so I was working at Perfume Forever. I got the job at the call center. So then mat took my days. I just, oh, my fucking god, why did I bother doing this? I had it so sweet and cushy at Perfume Forever. I was working in the Perfume Store Love and Life, and then all of a sudden, I went from that to having to get up at four thirty in the morning, catch the train down from a Rimba station because I lived at Wholegate at the time, nowhere near a fucking train station. Most difficult thing ever, Go to a Rima station, wait for the second train because the first train was always full. Ah, second train down, work all day, nine to five, get back on the train, come home. I remember I'd get up at like four thirty and I'd get home at like nine thirty, and I'd be like why, and I'd you know, at first, I was like, this is amazing. I'm all grown up.
Speaker 1: And nine to five.
Speaker 2: I look back and I go nine to five, more like forty nine love till nine pm, because that's how long it til, including the travel.
Speaker 1: Where have I told the story on this podcast about how I had the job, my first like nine to five job, but it was selling the pay TV Yes.
Speaker 2: You've told it three times.
Speaker 1: Okay, and where I only worked for commissions, so I was doing the same things but only going to Maitland, not as far but for commission only.
Speaker 2: So basically I actually had a really bad experience at that workplace, and like they were quite homophobic and I ended up it was a situation where they kind of like drove me out. I actually did a storytelle about this on YouTube once upon a time.
Speaker 1: I think I lightly told it in an episode.
Speaker 2: I was accidentally honor. I accidentally heard one of them call me a slur and then bring me in to basically to fire me. But I quit before they could fire me because they were just so homophobic and it was quite triggering. Because then it became the Pedestrian Office, you know, pedestrian TV journalsy and I did some work with them, and I remember going in and I was like, oh, this is the same building and it was the same floor. And then the girl that I was working with on the pedestrian things she sat at my fucking desk that I used to sit at, and I was like, oh my god, this is so weird. So I don't know what happened to the call center, but it obviously wasn't there anymore anyway. So because of that, I got I was really depressed and also had no money, and I was unemployed for I think eleven months, and I was trying to get a job everywhere, but there just was no jobs going that were suitable for me. And anyway, I got to the point where I was supplying at all the KFCs, McDonald's and all the rest of that. That's when I ended up getting the job at McDonald's. But I was applying at KFC and one of my friends worked ATKC and she was a manager and she was like, I can't hire you at my one. But I've told the girl at Mingara, I think it was if you apply there, she'll hire you. You just have to apply blah blahlah. And I'm like, I just applied and it rejected me straight away, and she's like, let me look into it for you. So anyway, because because she said that her friend at Miingara didn't have the like wasn't getting my applications at all, Like the system was rejecting me before she even got it in her inbox. Yeah, And they figured out that I was answering one of the like critical questions wrong about like you know when you apply for jobs, and it'd be like what would you do in this situation to resolve the conflict? And I can't remember what it was, but it has four options of what would you do? And one of them was like, punch the customer in the face, and the other one was like it wrong. The other one was like, go to a manager and get this. And my answer would always be to resolve the try and resolve the issue myself first before involving your manager. Yeah, that's just like that wasn't the right answer. It was just go and get a manager straight away. Have you ever worked in a fast food fucking restaurant and gone to try and get your manager. They want to shoot you in the face, like no one wants. They don't want to help. Just make sure you go and get your manager and they will sorted out. Every time I worked in a fast food joined and I went out to my manager and I was like, hey, sorry, I've got a customer on that, and they'd caused this big color balloo about helping, but it's like that's what we're meant to do. So when I filled out the application for KFC, I said I would try and resolve at myself with before bothering my manager, and they rejected me straight away because that's not what you should have done, and you should have just got the manager straight away. But from my experience working in retail and fast food. No manager wants to be annoyed for no reason if you can sort the problem out yourself in the first place.
Speaker 1: I just had a little flashback memory of like when I was maybe fourteen or thirteen, or twelve.
Speaker 2: Or eleven or ten or nine or eight.
Speaker 1: We used to prank like all the local macazine, like prank call them.
Speaker 2: I never did a prank call.
Speaker 1: I did so many prank calls like that was my thing.
Speaker 2: No, I never did a prank call.
Speaker 1: But I don't think the pranks were ever good. Like I think it was like calling and not saying anything.
Speaker 2: I was too scared I'd get in trouble, like they'd trace me phone back, yeah, or they call the police, or I wouldn't put my phone on do not disturb, not to not disturb, no caller idea. Oh yeah, you know, and they could trace it back.
Speaker 1: I used to love a prank call on the home phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Oh, how long has it been since you've had the same mobile number?
Speaker 1: By the way, I've had the one my whole life.
Speaker 2: Okay, why crazy because I thought I'd had the same one my whole life. But I went out for dinner with my friends, not long ago, and I haven't seen them in a long time. So one of one of my friends, so we were like all friends in high school, right, the three of us at Berkeley, our campus, and it was May, Corey and Sarah. I went out for dinner with Sarah not long ago, and she was telling me that she works with Corey now, and I was like, oh my god, well what's he doing. Let's go and see hi blah blah blah blah, because I haven't seen him in I want to say, over ten years, right, So we went and caught up, and then you know, Corey and I were saying, we haven't spoken to one another in such a long time. I mean the only place I had him because I don't think he does social media, but the only place I had him on was Snapchat, but I don't use that. So anyway, the long story short is he I was like, oh, well just text me. You know, we can text each other now now that we're back in contact. You've got my number, And he pulled up this fucking phone number that he had saved for me, and I have never heard that number in my entire life. But I swear I've only ever had the one mobile number and it's never changed. And I was like, then it got me thinking because Sarah then checked her phone and said, I've actually got like four numbers for you from throughout the years, and then she had all these numbers as well.
Speaker 1: I've only had the one since I got my first ever phone. And do you want to know how I know it was because I signed up with Telstra back in the day, Like that's who I got it through. And back then I got it for my fourteenth birthday. It was my first ever phone, the Nokia twenty one hundred, the one that was above the thirty three fifteen with like the white slash blue light up screen. And because it was obviously so long ago, not all the mobile numbers in the world were like taken up as much as they are now. So I got to customize my mobile number. And if I if I say this on the pod, I'm giving away six digits of my phone number in order.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't think I will. I don't think you should.
Speaker 1: But then do you know how many like there's two numbers missing, It.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be it wouldn't take them that long to figure.
Speaker 1: It out out of every number combination in the world.
Speaker 2: Well, no, there'd only been ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Oh true, but then they've because.
Speaker 2: If they've got the six, they've got four and then the six, and then they just need to figure out there's only ninety nine.
Speaker 1: It could be well, okay, i'll tell you on the pod, but we can beep it out.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: But I just remember being so excited because back then you could choose what your mobile number was, because back then we were still using like the letters on the keypad kind of thing. My mobile number has a word in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but say the word, but we'll beep it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, beat this out, Hannah. So my mobile number is, oh four, I couldn't pick those two. But then it's.
Speaker 2: That is so funny because no one even guessed that word no, because like, when has that When have you ever said that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know, but that's been my number ever since. And so back in the day again, Hannah, beat this out, when people would ask one my number, Oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 2: That is so fun Yeah. Yeah, my mum got to choose hers, and she chose the same number as our home phone number. Oh yeah, but obviously you got four and we had four to three as our home number. So four three three four, so she was like O four three four and then the rest of the home number home number, No, no, maybe it.
Speaker 1: Was four four nine. I'm trying to remember if I remember my home phone number. No, I don't remember my oh I do.
Speaker 2: It was really easy, though, I don't know if my mum chose that as well. It was really easy.
Speaker 1: Nine. I started in four nine in Newcastle.
Speaker 2: I'll give you an example of what mine was. So mine was like but someone would still have it.
Speaker 1: You're doing them kind to.
Speaker 2: Beat this out mine now, mine would be like four three three, four five one five one, like really easy, right, But they're not the right numbers. But that's like right what it would because if I coul told you the right numbers, then you don't know me mums. I mean, give her a fucking call if if you want to. In fact, my mum's a business woman's probably got a number all over a social media anyway. Everyone probably bloody knows it.
Speaker 1: But I've had the same mobile number since forever and it's quite iconic.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah that is.
Speaker 1: And do you want to know something else iconic, which, again, Hannah, you'll have to beep it out, but I'll even show you. Matt so I set it up to be that way. But maybe Hannah, you can just beat out all that, because then people will start guessing. Yeah, oh well, anyway.
Speaker 2: Even if they call you, they'll only call you for a couple of days before they get over it.
Speaker 1: They will only call me and ask for a fake discount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, do you want to give one in this episode?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What should we you pick? It? Done this for the longest time? Hey, yeah, Okay, it's been like over a year since we did the last secret fake code. I'm gonna make it right now, otherwise I will absolutely.
Speaker 2: Forget Okay, do what can make it?
Speaker 1: And when is it going to expire after this episode goes out?
Speaker 2: I think we've got to give him at least the week, okay, because if you don't listen in the week, then that's that's your own thought. So I reckon it'll be midnight Tuesday to midnight Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Okay, how much are we going off? Just like a little ten ten?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was going to say twenty, Oh well then yeah, twenty go on, okay, twenty Sorry, discount code percentage is twenty percent? And what's the code going to be? Matt? You pick any word or any numbers.
Speaker 2: Do we throw it right back to our very first episode.
Speaker 1: We'll follow the yellow brick right.
Speaker 2: And make it genus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, j E A and I.
Speaker 2: Genus Genus Genus twenty or just genus, just Genus, just genus.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm doing discount code Genus geneis twenty percent off, and I'm just going to set it live now because no one's going to guess that, and then it's going to end on Tuesday, the twenty seventh of May at eleven fifty nine pm. Okay, say it's done. So if you've listened all the way to the end of this episode of Ye Scrollers Genus, you're welcome. We'll get your twenty percent off bay Lovely and.
Speaker 2: That's online only, yes, excluding gift cards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, mad I think that's another episode done in dust.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and thank god, Joe, I'm starving, are you? Yeah? What are we going to order for lunch today?
Speaker 1: Mango lassie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We better. Thanks for listening to this episode Scrollers. We'll catch on Friday for close friends and make sure you have subscribed rated us send us an email. You know what to buy my book? Oh yeah, by the book Joel By the book. Anyway, darl I better let you go. I'm off to play netball at eight thirty on a Tuesday night,