Speaker 1: I don't look at decorative flowers on a play and think yeah, I think congratulations on making that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it was really hard. Can make some beef and cheese immediately.
Speaker 3: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. It doesn't sound like the premise of a hit TV show. Following the suicide of his brother, Carmi, a tortured chef returns home to Chicago to save the family Italian beef sandwich business. Short King Jeremy Allen White is the lead, alongside a cast of mostly lesser known stars, and yet The Bear has become one of the biggest shows on TV four seasons in with a fifth on the way, It's swept awards, topped critics lists, and introduced yes chef h into everyday vocabulary. Today entertainment reporter Jordie Gray joins me to talk about how and why The Bear has resonated with huge audiences and critics alike.
Speaker 2: Hebra make sandwiches.
Speaker 3: Don't stop making fucking sandwiches.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna make three sections.
Speaker 3: Okay, They're gonna be wet. Most of the action in The Bear takes place at the Bear the restaurant that is now Kami's joint, along with all the dirty dishes and dodgy accounting his late brother Michael left behind. Krmi is unhinged in a way we're used to chefs being on TV.
Speaker 1: The clocks are.
Speaker 5: Require.
Speaker 2: If it's not perfect, it doesn't go out okay.
Speaker 3: His ambition and obsession is destructive, but it's also contagious Gradually, Kami's motley caste of chefs led by Ao at every Sydney a young Sioux chef with Michelin star dreams try to turn this greasy institution into something great. There's tenderness and laughs.
Speaker 4: You cut vegetables like I'll be it, don't wipe your hands on your apron chef.
Speaker 3: Chest chef. But the road to success is naturally rough and presented unsparingly.
Speaker 4: I told you, I told you to be more fucking ready.
Speaker 2: I told you that dish wasn't fucking ready. What does this have to do with yes?
Speaker 1: Stop stop?
Speaker 2: As someone who has worked in.
Speaker 3: Kitchens, Jordi Gray is the Australian's entertainment reporter.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's really accurate. I feel like that's how chefs are. And then new clockoff and that kind it's just the madness of the job.
Speaker 3: Do you think they've learned to be like that or is it like the crazy industry gives them permission to like that.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's like gentle parenting at culinary school. I don't know whether that will change and we'll see gentler chefs emerge in the future.
Speaker 3: What's the craziest thing you saw in a kitchen?
Speaker 1: Well, everyone is angry all the time, right. I remember working an ANTC day shift, not getting penalty rates because everything is cash in hand and cutting my hand open and then getting yelled at by the chef because there was food to run.
Speaker 2: It was like a.
Speaker 1: Tarantino movie, like the comical amounts of blood spurting and just been yelled at.
Speaker 2: I was like seventeen, and don't bleed on the food.
Speaker 5: Don't bleed on.
Speaker 2: The food, run the plates and what did you do? Apologized for bleeding? Apologize profusely.
Speaker 3: As a piece of television. Then, how successful has the Bear been?
Speaker 1: I have a theory on why it was so successful so immediately, I think it was perfectly calibrated to hit this pop culture sweet spot, which is very online millennials, most of who probably have writing jobs, which isn't to discredit like.
Speaker 2: The quality of the Bear at all.
Speaker 1: I'm not denying that it is an absolutely excellent show.
Speaker 3: You're saying it's for old people aged.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that.
Speaker 1: I'm saying it's the ancient thirty three year olds in this world.
Speaker 2: But it did arrive with this pre existing hype.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Jeremy Allen White was on Shameless for like a decade and he was the favorite character. But the supporting Cluss has this kind of in built circuitry of very niche fame. Marcus the Dessert Chef was a member of Odd Future the Rap Crew sort of fronted by Tyler creator Any Teenager Online in like the late two thousand.
Speaker 2: And they were like the biggest steal ever.
Speaker 1: So to see like, oh, the dude from Odd Futures in a television show like that was immediate interest there. Uncle Richie Evon muss Backrack played a very small but very memorable and totally unbearable character in Girls, the Lena Dunman Show, which is the most influential millennial show.
Speaker 2: And Maddie Matheson, who plays Neil Thack.
Speaker 1: They're like burly and beloved Handyman hosted a food show on Vice called Munchies. So it's all these very small, niche people. But when you read that this completely disjointed group had come together, it's like automatically tapping into a certain audience. It seeded the kind of low key cultural recognition that built momentum.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 3: So you're saying it's sort of like a boy band, so curated to hit a particular moment that this was deliberate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was curated amazingly. Yeah, I think, and very tastefully.
Speaker 5: I know who you were, Oh yeah, yeah, I mean you're the most excellent CDC at the most excellent restaurant in the entire United States of America. So what are you doing here? I guess.
Speaker 3: Making sandwiches. Jeremy Allen White is kind of an unlikely star, isn't he. He's ridiculously handsome, and he's offside of Sydney is this beautiful young woman who you can tell is a deep lover of food, and yet her ideas are crushed by Kami. There's a sort of romance at the start, isn't there. She's obviously interested in him romantically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't think he's interested in anyone romantically until the Claire character resurfaces. I just don't think romance is something that's on his radar. And I also think it's really interesting that there's a show where there is a male and female lead and they're both very attractive and then not an item that's more interesting to me than I will they won't they?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then Camie then starts kind of marginalizing her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's definitely is sidelined, and it's I don't think it's out of spy. I just think it's out of his pure obsession, yeah, for his craft, and he cannot think about anything else outside his own ambition and leaves just this trail of destruction.
Speaker 3: And then you see this arc that Richie goes on that's really interesting too, Richie the shouty, kind of messy cousin.
Speaker 4: Yep, Richie Jeremolovich, pleasure to meet you, Sweeteart'll say, sweetheart, your you're so wolf. I mean nothing by it, Sydney saying Sweetheart's just part of our Italian.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen, I'm trying to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Then he discovers fine dining as well, like goes off to do a stag at this restaurant run by Olivia Coleman.
Speaker 2: Just put her on everything.
Speaker 3: She's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: I'd slice my hand open and apologize for Olivia Coleman.
Speaker 3: So then Richie discovers the magic of fine dining and food and serving people and then becomes an obsessive kind of matre d.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This show, unlike any others, is so good at going into the lives of its peripheral characters, and you'll just have these amazing standalone episodes like the one in season three that was directed by Ao Debris, who plays Sydney, and was focused on the character of Lisa and how she struggled to find a job and then wound up at the Beef of Chicago Land.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where other productions try to do color line casting, you know, and they'll cast a black woman as a tudor princess bridgeton. Yeah, this show stars a Puerto Rican woman. She's the working poor in America. Yeah, desperate for a job, gets one at the Beef. Yes, and it saves your life, really, And then it's about how she then discovers that she can do more than just wash dishes or just be aligned cooings.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it doesn't have to try that hard, because that is ultimately what life is like. And I think that's why people like the Bear so much. I think the realism isn't just in the restaurants, but in the emotional plausibility of it all. Like you believe these characters and you care about what they're going through because they're not so dissimilar to people you know and love in life.
Speaker 3: There's a great episode in season three where Sugar is giving birth. Oh do you remember this?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: So I didn't like that episode. Why Because I think it indulged in all the bears worst impulses, which as it's kind of progressed, they've kind of gotten maybe too experimental for what we want from television, which is like, I like a driving narrative, and I think that these scenes, these conversations work, but not for like.
Speaker 2: A whole episode. It was full it was full on. But why did you like it?
Speaker 3: I didn't like it the first watch, and then I watched it. I forced myself to watch it again because I think also, you know, childbirth scenes on screen can just lean into a lot of you know, silly breathing and sort of sweating and nice chips, but the kind of layers of sort of need and emotion between these two women as the child is becoming a mother, the mothers struggle to relinquish her power and their daughter stepping into hers is so carefully calibrated. And it's very similar towards happening to Kami. Kami's emerging from being the little brother and being the employee to being the boss and the creator and the visionary and kind of realizing along the way that he's none of those things, not capable of any of it, you know. So I found it very moving. But the episode with Jamie Lee curt Is making the Christmas dinner is very hard to watch as well. It's rare to see an older actress like Jamie Lee Curtis be that ugly as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is one of our great criers, and I always think about how, like, specifically American productions are filled with people crying and they look beautiful and it's just like a few tasteful tears, but she is just this heaving, snotty mess and it's fabulous. It is.
Speaker 3: Coming up more of my chat with Jordie Gray, and now it's been renewed for a season five.
Speaker 1: It has been renewed for a season five, and there was like a little teaser as to what direction it may take. And I think it's going to focus on franchising the original Beef of Chicago Sandwich Store, and that might be the thing that gets the bear out of financial trouble.
Speaker 3: My heart sank a little bit when I saw it would have been renewed for a season five, because I really worry. Not many shows can be sustained over more than two seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's so true, and this doesn't seem to have a clear ending.
Speaker 3: There's a threat at the end of season four that Jeremielle and White's character Calm he might leave if he doesn't get a Michelin star.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not sure about your My favorite catch I certainly is not Krmi. I'm much more interested in those he's surrounded by. So I think if it stops being about Kami's ambition, then it could be a more thrilling show.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's a new kind of show. Actually it's a real ensemble, isn't it. Maybe this is a show where actually the star can fade into the background and the rest of them can pick it up.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: I think that's what the show has been preparing for. Life without Kami, Life without Kami.
Speaker 3: Jordi Gray is the Australian's Entertainment report up. You can read her writing every weekend in the Weekend Australian's Review section and anytime at the Australian dot com dot auslash Review. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and produced by Jasper Leak, who edited the episode and also wrote our theme. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Christian amyot Leat, Sammaglu, Tiffany Dimack, Joshua Burton and Stephanie Coombs.