Speaker 1: Live from Israels is a special edition of Sharing.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show from the ancient city of Jerusalem. Here in Israel, Benjaminette Yahoo is trying to kill the terrorists, while back home, Albinizi is issuing visas to Palestinians with links to her mus and Palestinian Islamic Jihat. This massive story exploded in Question Time today.
Speaker 3: Prime Minister has the visa for the individual been canceled?
Speaker 2: Albanisi is putting Australians in danger through his reckless visa program. He should visit Israel to look around at the devastation terrorism can cause. Now I'm going to come back to this topic in a moment tonight. I'm also going to bring you the story of a newborn baby who was only nine days old when her Musk stormed his home. The terrorists set the house alight, but baby Kai's mum saved him by putting him up.
Speaker 4: On a window seal.
Speaker 2: This is a story of a miracle survival, one of the rare happy endings on that dark day. Joining me here in Jerusalem on the show tonight, Colonel Richard Kemp, who commanded British forces in Afghanistan and Iraq. This comes as Israel weighs its response to the Iranian missile strikes, while Biden once a cease fire a month out from the US election. Also joining me here a mother whose son was murdered at the Nova Music Festival. His dream was to visit Australia and his mum has honored his memory by making that trip. Plus Richo and Michael Kroger will fire up about all the news back home, including how a high profile restaurant owner has been arrested.
Speaker 4: No one will be dining at his restaurants anymore.
Speaker 2: But first Benjainetta, who has declared that Israel has taken out the leadership of Hesbelah in a video message to the Lebanese people, Nettigna, who said he'd eliminated the leaders of the terror group.
Speaker 5: Israel has a right to defend itself. Israel also has a right to win, and Israel will win. We've degraded Kbela's capabilities. We took out thousands of terrorists, including Nsuelo himself and Osuelo's replacement and the replacement of his replacement. Today Kibela is weaker than it's been for many, many years.
Speaker 2: As you heard there, Israel not only took out Hesbelah's leader of thirty two years, Hassan Nasralla, but his successor, Hasham Savidin. They also bombed the terror group's intelligence headquarters in Beirut and three thousand fighters were injured.
Speaker 4: When their pages exploded well.
Speaker 2: In his video message last night, Netna who made an appeal for peace, He implored to Lebanese people to take back their country from Hezbela control.
Speaker 5: Don't let these terrorists destroy your future anymore than they've already done. Stand up and take your country back. You have an opportunity that hasn't existed in decades, an opportunity to take care of the future of your children and grandchildren. You have an opportunity to save Lebanon before it falls into the abyss of a long war that will lead to destruction and suffering like we see in Gaza. It doesn't have to be that way. Each of you can take a step for your future, even a small step, you can make a difference. I say to you, the people of Lebanon, free your country from Krisbala so that this war can end. Free your country from Hrisbala. Said that your country could prosper again, so that future generations of Lebanese and Israeli children will know neither war nor bloodshed, but will finally live together in peace.
Speaker 2: Israel has no quarrel with Lebanon, only with Hesbela and its Bacha Iran. Israel's success in decimating the Hesbela leadership and thousands of terrorists has been swift. It's one of the incredible military feats of our time. First the pager and walkie talkie attacks and then the most brilliant of all, killing Nasrallah while he was watching Netanyahu deliver his United Nations address. And it appears that israel strikes against the Hesbela leadership may have achieved a significant breakthrough. The terror group just last night said it was prepared to enter cease fire talks.
Speaker 4: This is an important development.
Speaker 2: The US State Department said it showed Hesbela was and I quote, getting bat it and now on the back foot. So Israel's focus right now is shifting to Iran. There are live talks with America about striking Iran in retaliation for the two hundred ballistic missiles it launched last week against Israel. There's a push from some Israeli politicians to go hard and to strike Iran's nuclear facilities. Israeli politicians like Naftali Bennett and Sharen Haskell told me this needs to be done before the evil regime develops nuclear weapons.
Speaker 6: So Iran is laid open and now is the exact time that we must attack. We must take out the nuclear program or at least as severely damage it.
Speaker 7: We need to target those nuclear reactors that Iran has been building.
Speaker 4: For years now. There's been many voices, including mine and my party members to try.
Speaker 2: And advocate for that, and Canadian Opposition leader Pierre Poliev agrees.
Speaker 1: I think the idea of allowing a genocidal, theocratic, unstable dictatorship that is desperate to avoid being overthrown by its own people to develop nuclear weapons is about the most dangerous and irresponsible thing that the world could ever allow. And if Israel were to stop that genocidal, theocratic, unstable government from acquiring nuclear weapons, it would be a gift by the Jewish state to humanity.
Speaker 2: Well, he has an excellent point, and that's rare strength from a Western leader, But there's an American election coming up, and Joe Biden doesn't want to go to war with Iran less than a month from polling day. Instead, he reportedly wants a ceasefire. The relationship between Biden and Ettenyahoo has deteriorated in recent months. Biden telephoned Israeli President Isaaczog and not Netan Yahoo on the anniversary of October seven, and a new book by Watergate journalist Bob Woodward claims that Biden yelled at Netanyahoo after he eliminated a Hesbela commander. It also claims that Biden called the Israeli Prime Minister a liar when Israel sent troops into Rafa. And Israel was right to do that, by the way, because they rescued hostages.
Speaker 4: In Rafa in a daring mission.
Speaker 2: But Biden has been more worried about American politics then bringing home the hostages, even though some of them are US citizens or fighting off terrorists. And in Australia, Albanesi is even worse. While Israel is trying to defeat the terrorists, it seems Albanzi is bringing people into Australia who have links to Hermas. The Albanzi government gave a visa to a Palestinian man who had hosted her Musk leadership, and whose brothers and sons were active members of Palestinian Islamic jihat. The Coalition hounded Albinizi over this outrageous decision in Question Time Today.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and nineteen, El Hassani reportedly hosted a summit of terror organization leaders, which he opened by stating, they must quote I quote confront the occupation by all possible means. Prime Minister, has the visa of this individual been canceled? Have any of the tourist visas granted to those coming from the terrorist controlled gars of war Zone since October seven, twenty twenty three been canceled? Prime Minister, does supporting hamas pass the character test for an Australian visa?
Speaker 2: You can hardly get a more serious issue. But the Prime Minister didn't bother to answer. He just handed over to Tony Burke.
Speaker 8: The process for all of these visas for people who've come from Palestine has been exactly the same for every one of them. If at any point our security agencies gave advice to the government that a visa should be canceled, then the government, of course would take seriously that advice. Security agencies never stopped collecting information.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister is now under pressure to cancel this visa, but Tony Burke has already made it clear he wouldn't send anyone back to Gaza. Well, perhaps these muppets should have thought about this before they issued nearly three thousand visas to Palestinians without proper security checks.
Speaker 4: They're just not that bright in the Albanzi government. Well.
Speaker 2: Being here in Israel during this war, visiting the sites of bloody massacres, seeing the safe rooms riddled with bullet holes, I tell you it makes me feel even more angry that the Albanezi government has put us all at risk by issuing these three thousand visas with inadequate vetting. This is a government making dangerous and reckless decisions, decisions that are disastrous for social cohesion. By deliberately bringing people to our country who may hate Jews and Westerners, who may support a genocidal, murderous regime. And if there are any Hermas supporters among the Gohort they've brought to Australia.
Speaker 4: Well this could endanger all of our lives.
Speaker 2: Our children deserve better, Australia deserves better.
Speaker 4: Now this next.
Speaker 2: Story I'm about to bring you is one of courage, bravery, and resilience.
Speaker 4: It's how a mum saved.
Speaker 2: Her newborn baby while terrorists were banging on the door.
Speaker 4: Of her safe room.
Speaker 2: Have a look.
Speaker 9: We were around about six thirty in the morning. Sirens started going off and Amy called me. I was in another bedroom and she was sleeping in the safe room and she called me to come, so I picked up my phone. Funny enough, my little dog got scared and he ran into the living room under the couch. I ran to the room and I'm on the bed with Amy and her husband, Duriel, and I'm laughing because I said, wow, look, I'm in bed with my daughter and her husband. And I was asking and Ariel said, don't worry, and ten minutes we'll be having our early morning coffee. And he just went on and on and on and at some stage, I mean very close to then Amy decides to look at her phone at the camera from the living room and she said to me, they're trying to get in the Hamas terrorists are trying to get in.
Speaker 10: We felt the house shake when they were trying to push in the door and break it down, but they couldn't. So what they did, is that they just shot at the lock of the door, and that's exactly the same time that the electricity just went out.
Speaker 4: We all went into to do what we had to do. I took the baby.
Speaker 9: And I put my finger in his mouth to soothe him and to stop him crying. And he was only being breastfed, so you know, there was a bottle or anything. And Amy and Uriel instinctively, I don't know how new to hold the handle of the of the safe door up.
Speaker 4: They managed to put it just like price, it's just a crack.
Speaker 9: But if you can imagine you've got these monster fighters on one side, and you've got.
Speaker 4: This woman who's just had a babe.
Speaker 2: That's what I can't believe that you had the strength to win in.
Speaker 4: That battle against the terrorists keeping the door shut. Yeah, and of.
Speaker 9: Course she had a difficult birth, so it wasn't an easy birth. But one has to understand that Amy is a black built in karate and club maga, and she was a fighter in the.
Speaker 11: Army and probably a mother's survival instinct for her child and the adrenaline of.
Speaker 9: The moment, yeah for sure, for sure.
Speaker 11: Clap Kai clap, So they couldn't get into the safe room, and instead they lit the house on fire.
Speaker 10: And they just dragged the furniture to THEA heard them do it. And then suddenly we see from the little crowd and see flames, and my husband says, they're burning the house.
Speaker 4: And then I guess they ran out.
Speaker 12: We were left to die.
Speaker 9: Then, unfortunately, we heard my dog scream and until he died. I don't know if it was two minutes or ten minutes, however long it took for them my little dog to die.
Speaker 4: You heard him burn to death in the I screamed.
Speaker 9: He just screamed and screamed. And after that point, I just wasn't there anymore. So for the next you have to ask gaming because I was on the floor, face sixsels this disassociated with.
Speaker 4: Just so distressed.
Speaker 9: I think I just prepared myself to die. That if I'd have died, I wouldn't have felt the pain or the burning or I don't know. It's what my therapist is helping me deal with and come to terms with and understand, because I still don't really understand it.
Speaker 4: I don't understand why I couldn't help them, why I.
Speaker 12: Why I gave up that maybe if I hadn't a given up, maybe I would have been the one to jump out the window or freak out. So you don't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing, but I do know that I wasn't there to help them. In fact, Amy, she's not only got to look after a baby, but she's got to look after a.
Speaker 4: Mom as well. And drag me to the window.
Speaker 2: To breathe and so Amy, what advice did the fire brigade give you when you spoke.
Speaker 10: To them, Well, first of all, you wanted to know what the situation was with the smoke. So what he told me was, if we see the ceiling, we're still okay. The smoke rises, So I mean, mainly it's to try and block the door with anything that was by the door most of the time because I was afraid that they were going to try and come in again. Yeah, so I just kept up so we're still holding. When it got too hot, I just took like clothes and held the handles and clothes and my husband held Kai by the window. Eventually the firefighter said, look, you have to get into fresh air if it's possible, cat a little opening in the window and just putting up against it and let him breathe. I mean, there was soot coming out in his mouth and nose. Every time each of us held him up to the window, we would look out to see if there were any terrorists. And then around two o'clock, maybe just before two o'clock in the afternoon, there's me in at the window with Kai. Too tired to hold him out, so I just lay him on the window still. That's the famous picture of him on the window still.
Speaker 4: And then I.
Speaker 10: See, oh, I first hear them, I hear Hebrew, and then I look at and I see soldiers going through house to house, and I just take a beef clothing and I just wave it out the window. And I didn't say, there they are. They're at the window, and I just knew that they were looking for us. They knew we were there, and they were there for us.
Speaker 4: And that must have been the most incredible feeling. It just made me be.
Speaker 6: It gave me the ability to breathe.
Speaker 10: You know, if you were holding your breath until that one moment, and he knew that they were there for you and they were going to see you.
Speaker 11: So you saved Kay's life by letting him get that air on the window.
Speaker 10: Doing probably the one most dangerous thing we could have.
Speaker 6: Got.
Speaker 2: I got such an incredible story and it's so nice that there's at least one positive story to come out of October seven.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 2: Colonel Richard Camp is a distinguished commander who led British forces in Afghanistan and Iraq. He has in depth experience dealing with the threat of terror and place to say.
Speaker 4: He joins me here in Jerusalem.
Speaker 2: Now, first of all, before we get onto Hesbla, I want to ask you about the Palestinian visa issue.
Speaker 4: I've been speaking about how.
Speaker 2: The Albanesi government has issued nearly three thousand visas to Gazans without adequate security vetting.
Speaker 4: What do you think about this?
Speaker 13: I think is absolutely shocking. The first duty of any government is to protect its people, and clearly the Australian government in this case is betraying its people. Who do they think is going to get out of Gaza. It takes a lot of money to get out of Gaza today, and the people with money in Gaza are the people connected to hamas, so you can guarantee I would suggest that the majority of those people, possibly all of them, are going to have hamas connections and probably Hamas sympathies, and therefore they will potentially, at least some of them will endanger citizens within Australia.
Speaker 2: And even without that, I mean, we're seeing such extraordinary levels of hatred, of violence, of anti Semitism. The idea of importing the conflicts from here to peaceful Australia is shocking.
Speaker 13: Exactly, and we're seeing that the world. Oh we're seeing in Britain as well as in Australia and other countries around the world, where people who have sympathy, they don't care about democracy, they don't care about peace, they have sympathy with terrorists, and they are intimidating Jewish populations because of their affinity themselves with Israel.
Speaker 2: Now I want to talk to you about the news overnight. Basically Hezbla has been beaten into submission. It's now calling for a cease fire without Israel moving away from Gaza, which is a huge development.
Speaker 13: Isn't it. It shows the immense damage that the Israelis have done to his Blah, even just in the last few days, but certainly over the last year. They've been hitting his blog very hard. In southern Lebon and in particular, but also in Beirut. Ever since his blow began its war aggression against Israel on the eighth of October last year, and they've effectively decapitated his Belot, They've taken out the leader of his Bol ISRAELA, They've taken up many of the other senior leaders. And I think in this case, I've never seen such a widespread and effective campaign of attack against leadership of an enemy force. I think Prime Minister Netanyahu here is rewriting the book on targeted warfare.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been utterly extraordinary.
Speaker 2: There's now debate and it seems like disagreement between the United States and Israel about exactly what the retaliation strikes against Iran should look like. Do you think Israel should be targeting the nuclear sites to stop Iran developing nuclear weapons.
Speaker 13: Israel certainly should do that. Whether it's whether now is the time or not is an open question, because, of course, to do the maximum damage to Iran's nuclear program, it does need military support from the US. It can do damage, and I think it should try and do some damage. But there are other targets as well that can be hit, and those include energy installations like oil and gas They include military bases, military facilities and capabilities, and all of these should be among the target raiser Israel choosers. Whatever they decide to hit, they should hit them very very hard. Last April, after Iran fired about three hundred plus missiles and drones at Israel, Israel responded with a light touch. It didn't have the right effect because they not at all. So now they've got to deter and they've got to hit them, in my view, very very hard.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it doesn't seem to be the appetite from international leadership, whether it's Joe Biden in the United States and his VP Kamala Harris, whether it's in Britain, in France and Germany, Canada, Australia. What's your comment on the international leadership we're seeing at the moment in.
Speaker 4: The face of this very real terror threat.
Speaker 13: The leaders in these Western countries understand the threat, they know that Israel's doing the right thing. They're just afraid of a country standing up for itself. They've forgotten how a country needs to stand up for itself to survive. It hasn't been a problem for most of these countries so many years, and their priority now is to appease the anti Israel mobs who are in the minority in our countries, but they're allowed and vocal minority, and they want to appease them, and particularly so in the United States where the election is coming up.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how strong Benjamin Netti, who looks compared to some of these other leaders.
Speaker 13: I haven't got the exact quote, but somebody in Australia said yesterday, I believe that Netanya who is the Churchill of our day, not the Chamberlain of our day, and I think that's absolutely right. He's an extremely strong leader. He's been criticized and vilified around the world by other leaders, including President Biden, but everything he's done has shown to be right and proved to be right. And when you have his ballaar almost offering to have a ceasefire, when you have, for example, I think President is Sad in Syria has spoken about getting Iranian militias out of his country. You know, you have a very very nervous Iran now which doesn't really know what to do. This shows that Netanyahu's strategy is on the right foot. And you know, okay, Gaza has gone on for a long time now that war has gone a long time, but it's a very complex war. But Israel's been extremely successful in that war.
Speaker 2: I mean, a lot of international leaders are urging YETNYA who to wrap up the war, but the fact remains there are one hundred hostages still being held in Gaza, so Israel needs to bring those hostages home before it can pack up and go home.
Speaker 13: Israel must do everything it can. But I believe it's been doing everything it can to both defeat Hamas and bring the hostages back, and it must continue that campaign. There's obviously a friction between those two objectives, but they are potentially both achievable and as far as his Blas concerned, As far as Lebanon's concerned, we're hearing also from politicians in Lebanon huge dissatisfaction now with Iran actually with his blare and speaking out against it. Now is not the time, in my view, to come to any ceasefign level, and now is the time to smash the hell out of his BLA as effectively and as violently as they can, because if you don't, if you have a ceasefire now without having guarantees of withdrawal of his balla to the north, without having guarantees of disarmament of his BLA. All you're doing is kicking the can down the road instead of doing what you need to do is just smash the counterpieces.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating how they continually call for a ceasefire and for you know, abiding by international agreements. But the reality is after the Second Lebanon Will, there was the United Nations seven oh one resolution which said that Hezbela needs to remain north of the Latiny River. They haven't done that. Instead they militarize the south. Yet the media around the world presented as somehow Israel being the aggressor. I mean, being here in Israel, and you've been in Israel for most of the past year, you see that there are hundreds of rockets a day target Israel in the north, targeting families in the north.
Speaker 13: There was a massive barrage only yesterday against Haifa further south in Israel. Fortunately the idea of for got the capability of intercepting most of these missiles. But you can't be it can never be one hundred percent. And I think you know the key issue here is not just Resolution seventeen seventy one, which you mentioned, which requires his blat to withdraw north of the Litani River, about eighteen miles north of the Israeli border. There's also a previous resolution, I think it's fifteen fifty nine something like that, which required the disarmament of Isbela. Neither of these two things have happened. And the UNIFIL United Nations Peacekeeping Organization has twelve thousand peacekeepers or had twelve thousand peacekeepers in Lebanon whose job is to enforce it. Yet it hasn't happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and no cause for a ceasefire.
Speaker 2: By the way, while Hezbela was firing, Israel or anyone's rostouts response. Good to see you, klonelpreciate your time, Jimmy Jerusalem, Thank you very much. Well, plenty more to come. How damaged is alban easy? After his humiliating apology over at Tourette's syndrome insult in Parliament, Rich Oh and Michael Kroger would join me shortly. Plus a mother whose son was murdered at the Nova Music Festival will be on the show. She'll tell us about her trip to Australia in her son's honor.
Speaker 4: That's after this quick break.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, well, mum Tully Kishner's son Segev, just twenty two, was killed by hermas at the Nova Music Festival. Tully woke up in the morning, heard something was wrong and was madly texting.
Speaker 4: Her son, but he never answered. He'd sadly been murdered.
Speaker 2: And Tully joins me here, now, thank you very much for being here. Tell me what happened to Segev on the morning of October seven.
Speaker 7: It took us about four days to understand what happened.
Speaker 4: At first, we had no clue. We were seeking for any piece of information.
Speaker 7: Getting very terrifying, horrifying messages from the media, and you know, people were trying to understand what's going on. Where my husband went to the hospitals and we knew that he was not wounded. So after two days we understood that either he has been killed or maybe he was kidnapped and he's kept us a hostage. But on the fourth day, his friend that was together with him knocked on the door. He was very heavily wounded, early standing and he told us that he was.
Speaker 4: With in this shelter and he was lying.
Speaker 7: Under the sag of his body for six hours and say it was it was dad, for sure, and that was the way that we regard them.
Speaker 2: Use so sorry, tally, so so tough, and especially one year on and you're reliving it all and retelling the stories. You managed to retrieve some recordings from the shelter. Can you tell us about those recordings now?
Speaker 7: At every opportunity, I'm saying that we're really privileged. There were privileged in the way that we had an opportunity to see the last goodbye to our son. We privileged because we had the grieve to come and quiet, and we're privileged that we had a precious opportunity to know me by minute what happened to him, because it's the courage of his friends, one of his friends who is survivor, Ima Shapir, and another friend who was tragically killed near him. I yelled, and she was a young reporter, uh and and she just went when this horri final texts started, she pressed the button and she has recorded all the event, minute by minute.
Speaker 4: Of this horror says So it must be so hard to listen to that. It's another difficult Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I couldn't, of course listen for all the recorded once. It took me a lot of time and of course, I couldn't. I couldn't listen to this at home. I was taking my phone to the cemetery and just being with Saga together, was trying to listen to this. And you know, the main thing is there there were twenty seven people there in the bone shelter. There were different people from difficult different political around, different political views.
Speaker 4: They were Muslims, there were Jews.
Speaker 14: They were really very precious Israel, very small Israel in this bone shelter, and they were so respectful to each other.
Speaker 7: They were so loving, caring and and unbelievably human to each other. They were taking care and Annel Shapire was throwing the grenades outside the bone shelter and when he when he was killed, my son was just behind.
Speaker 4: He was taking care of.
Speaker 7: This, uh, you know interaction here they were trying to kill the police.
Speaker 4: They were superheroes.
Speaker 7: They were simply super so.
Speaker 4: Brave, so brave. Tali.
Speaker 2: Now you've done an incredible installation at the airport here in Tel Aviv in honor of your son Angels.
Speaker 4: Can you tell us about this artwork.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that our Israel is bleeding and the main thing we need to do is stand together.
Speaker 4: And you know, the.
Speaker 15: Loss is incredible, and it started on the October sevens but it's going on every day. We have funerals, we have memorial services, and it's a great strategy, and we wanted to show to the people the beauty of themselves.
Speaker 4: Everybody.
Speaker 7: They're almost in one thousand and seven hundred people that were lost during this terrible year, and in their memory we want to be united together.
Speaker 4: It's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Telligence very quickly and tell us you visited Australia and it had always been your son's dream to come to our beautiful country.
Speaker 7: You have an incredible country, you have so much, so many loving people and beautiful views, and I really fell in love with your country.
Speaker 4: And I'm worrying all the time. This one, this is the heart to sell the director that had got in Sydney. Bye, Silvia, and thank you.
Speaker 7: So much for being such a great friends of Israel and stand with us in this very difficult time.
Speaker 4: Thank you Tully for being here. Really really appreciate it. All right, still to come on the show.
Speaker 2: Albanezi's humiliating apology over a Turette insult in parliament plus the high profile restaurant are charged after holding an anti Semitic sign. Well, Richo and Michael Kroger will fire up with their views on this after the break. Okay, let's have a look at a couple of the big issues dominating Australian politics. The Prime Minister has been forced to eat a big slice of humble pie after he was accused of mocking people with disabilities. Here were his original comments in question time.
Speaker 16: The idea that where have you got tourets or something?
Speaker 5: You know, you know, you see the bamble bamble bab order.
Speaker 16: Are we drawing, mister speaker?
Speaker 6: Are we draw?
Speaker 4: Are we drink? We join and apologize.
Speaker 2: Alban Easy returned to the Lower House later and this is how he apologized.
Speaker 16: I made comments that were unkind and hurtful. I knew it was wrong as soon as I made the comment. I apologized and I withdrew as soon as I said it. But it shouldn't have happened. And I also want to apologize to all Australians who suffer from this disability.
Speaker 2: Well, let's bring in now farmer Victorian Liberal Party President of Michael Kroger and Farmer Labor Minister Gray Richardson. Welcome, gentleman, Michael, this is hypocritical, coming from the man who promised during the election campaign to do politics differently.
Speaker 17: Well, first of all, congratulations Show on your extraordinary reporting from Israel. We've just been outstanding. But on this issue, Look, it was very unprime ministerial. It was silly, it was childish, and you know, people with disabilities are not to be mocked. I mean, that's you know, I mean a number of people made this point. Jane here made this point, I mean seriously, to make fun of it in Parliament. Yes, he apologize, but boy, this guy's under a lot of pressure and it's showing, and it's unfortunately. It's something he'll never live down, and nor should Penny Wong, who said the same thing in the Senate a decade ago.
Speaker 2: As we know, rich O, surely not even you are made of elbows, can defend this one.
Speaker 18: Now, no one can defend this one. He made a mistake, he stuffed up, and he's paid a bit of a penalty for it.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, let's turn to this story.
Speaker 2: This is a big front page story today and I know it's shocked a lot of people.
Speaker 4: I've been shocked by it.
Speaker 2: A prominent restaurant, the owner of Nomad in Sydney, has been charged with holding an anti Semitic sign at a pro Palestinian rally over the weekend. Now New Southeles police have charged Alan Yasbeck for allegedly holding a sign of the Israeli flag with the Nazi swastika in the center. Michael Kroger, everyone has to boycott his restaurants now, Shirley.
Speaker 17: Well, I'd hope so. I mean, this is a man who's equating Jews with Nazis. What a profoundly ignorant foolless guy is. And his restaurant on the corner of Collin Street and Queen Street in Melbourne is a very high and well known restaurant which I've been to. I'll never be going back there, and I'll be telling anyone that I know who's been there never to go again. If this type of Jewish hating racism is the view of the owner of that restaurant, I don't know about his wife's view, but it's certainly his view to hold that disgusting flag never again in his restaurants, and shame on him for this disgusting display of historical ignorance and inhumanity. Absolutely disgusting performance by this guy.
Speaker 2: And rich are the Australians already reporting that there have been cancelations at Nomad?
Speaker 18: Well, I hope there have been cancelations at Nomad, and I hope there'll be many more. This is an unforgivable act, a disgraceful act, beneath the dignity of any decent person. As far as I'm concerned, I would never go to this restaurant, and I have There's a lot of people have got that same view.
Speaker 4: All right, well, let's.
Speaker 2: Talk about the front page of the Daily Telegraph today. I mentioned it earlier in the show. I spoke about it with Colonel Richard Camp, and now Peter Darton is demanding an explanation for how a Palestinian man was granted a visa to Australia despite associating with political members of Hamas and other terror organizations in Gaza. As we've been saying, Fayeza Hassani has been in Australia since July.
Speaker 4: We don't know whether his application was even referred to. Asio Michael, this isn't a surprise.
Speaker 2: We've been warning this would happen if you bring three thousand people in from Gaza.
Speaker 4: Without doing any security checks.
Speaker 17: Well, absolutely, and we can't get any answers in the parliament. Tony Burke, who stocks had risen in certainly labor circles after his performance in his previous ministry. They loved him and the press did. But certainly in this portfolio Burke has not done well and you'd have expected him to be more fulsome and explaining in the Australian public what's going on. No, he's fallen into that terrible trap of just saying, you know, we rely on the you know, security agencies and you know if you don't support them, well that's up to you. Well that's not an answer. I mean, that's not an answer. This is exactly what people want to know. Are people coming to this country who have associations with terrorists? And this person clearly does. Why are they coming into Australia. Why because Burke and a few people want to hang on to their seats in Western Sydney. I mean, this is this is appalling. As Greg Shearan has said, this government lacks any moral clarity in relation to these issues. In relation to Israel in the Middle East and now in relation to this three thousand visas. You know, we can't find any country in the world has issued more than a couple of hundred, yet three thousand to Australia. Why not Egypt? Why didn't you get a visa to Egypt or Jordan or somewhere else. No, he comes here. So this is a shocking black mark against the government. It's profoundly ignorant of them to be taking so many people without proper security checks. Obviously, Shari he did not have a security check and he should not be in this country.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, our government has utterly failed us here. Rich the Prime Minister, is going to have to cancel this visa. But the difficulty is that Tony Burke has said publicly no one is being sent.
Speaker 4: Back to Gaza, So what are they What are they going to do now?
Speaker 2: What are they going to do when it does emerge like in this case that someone has links to her mus.
Speaker 18: Well, it really is you can't transfer him unto the ether, so you've got to do something with him that's that's tangible and that everyone can see. Seems to me that Australians overwhelmingly don't want this kind of person in Australia have to say neither to why And as far as I'm concerned he should be booted.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what I think.
Speaker 2: Anthony Albanezi and Penny Wang and suddenly Tony Burke need to come here. They need to do what I did and walk through Kidbootzberri, which was one of the hardest hit. See the burnt out houses, See the safe rooms that are riddled with bullets, See the fact that little children and babies were murdered, were slaughtered. They need to go to the side of the music festival and then maybe they will start to understand what a serious threat he Muss is because at the.
Speaker 4: Moment they clearly just don't get it.
Speaker 2: Now, let's talk about former Labor senator and activist Fatima Payment. She's officially announced that she's got a new policy party.
Speaker 4: It's called Australia's Voice.
Speaker 2: She's an independent senator now she's no longer sitting with Labor.
Speaker 4: We don't know any details, Michael Kroger.
Speaker 2: We can only assume that she's going to target some seats across the country where there are high Muslim populations. Do you think that Labour needs to be worried about her new political party.
Speaker 17: No, I don't. I don't think they need to be worried about her at all. She resigned from the Labor Party because the Labor Party extreme enough on the Middle East, so you know, hello, So that means she's just appealing to a small number of Australians who basically attend those rallies and demonstrations. She said she's broader than that. She's not just a Muslim party. She's got all sorts of other views, none of which we know about. She won't win any rep seats, she's got zero chance of that, and I doubt she'll win a Senate seat. And you know, taking the name of the Voice is quite clever because she's even though she denied this, she's very clearly trying to make people think, well, well, this has got something to do with the Voice, which forty per cent of the country voted for. So there will be people that donkey vote and think this has something to do with the Voice and vote for for that reason. But otherwise I don't think there's any Reasonaby anying would't vote for her party at all.
Speaker 4: To be quite frank, no, yeah, kind of strange. Richard.
Speaker 2: What do you think about or what can you tell us from your internal conversations with senior Labor figures about how worried labor is not just about Fatima Payman, but about these other Muslim candidates that are running in Western Sydney marginal seats.
Speaker 18: I don't think labour's too worried. I've had conversations with a number of people about this, and I think the view most generally is that very few of these candidates will draw many votes, and most of them will just get a few votes and disappear into history, and I think no one will remember their names, and that's a good.
Speaker 2: Thing, all right, all right, Well that's all we've got time for Michael Kroger.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your kind words at the start.
Speaker 2: Gray and Richardson, I'll see you both back in Australia next week.
Speaker 4: Now still to come in the show.
Speaker 2: The World shed tears when Israeli hostage Carmel gat was executed by Hermas because Israeli forces had been on the verge of rescuing her or her cousin would join me here next.
Speaker 4: Welcome back well.
Speaker 2: On October seven, Carmel Gatt was visiting her parents at Kibbutz Barri when she was abducted by Hermas. There was hope for Carmel's safe return. But there on September first this year, her body was recovered by the IDF in a tunnel in Gaza, along with five other hostages. She'd been executed in cold blood, and her cousin Shae Dickman joins me here. Now, Shaye, this is devastating because Israeli forces were so close by, and we believe that is why hermas decided to execute them.
Speaker 19: What can you tell us, Yes, the terrorists for the trigger. This is what we were afraid for all this time. We knew there is a gun pointed at Carmel's head for three hundred and twenty eight days, and we knew that she was holding on the two hostages, two teenagers that came back on November in the deal told us that Carmel was the guardian angel, She.
Speaker 4: Was a source of hope.
Speaker 19: She was doing yoga with them and trying to save their souls and their minds until the woman. They were released, but Carmel was left behind. And all along this time we were pushing for a deal, a deal that would save lives, and we knew that Carmel is still in the hands of the same terrorists that torn her from her family that murdered her mother and we were afraid just from this moment that happened.
Speaker 2: In the end, I'm so sorry what your family spent her. It's just so horrific. Now you mentioned Carmel's mother was murdered, So on October seven, she was visiting her parents at kidboards Array. Now take us through the story, because it's quite extraordinary. Her mother saw her mass approaching from the kitchen window and then what happened.
Speaker 19: Right, So, Carmel was in the safe room with all of the family. You can see her beautiful niece and her niece is covering her ears because of the bombing, and Carmel, inside this horror and terror, found the inner power to take a book from the shelf and read to her tree a half year old niece. And just at ten thirty knet her mother went to the kitchen to bring some food and water to everybody, and then from the window of the kitchen she saw the terrorists and the last thing that she managed to do is to warn her husband, Eschel, and she saved his life.
Speaker 4: He went to hide in the toilet.
Speaker 19: No one could have known that the toilet would be the one room that the terrorists would not invade. And Eschel saw one by one how his kids and his granddaughter are taken by the terrorists.
Speaker 2: Sausage, and there was nothing he could do to say he was helpless. Yes, and so the three and a half year old Camel's nace. You just showed us a picture of such a beautiful little girl. So she was taken hostage, is that right?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 19: So alone Carmel's brother, he was taken with his wife and child, three and a half year old Geffen. They were put in a car and taken by the terrorists with another guy from the Kibbutz who was put in the trunk, and four terrorists inside this tiny car. And the car was driving, and at a certain point a tank came by and three of the four terrorists just took off. They were afraid from the tank and alone, your then Geffen and Tal were left with the driver. The car was driving, and Alone said to her, then this is the time we're taking off, and they.
Speaker 4: Took off from the car. They escaped.
Speaker 19: They escaped while the car was driving. Then was holding Geffen and they started running. And you then realized that her daughter's best chance to survive is if she passes her to Alan who's running faster, and she passed Geffen and she told him save our daughter, even though she stayed behind. And this is what alone did, and he managed, he managed, He saved his daughter. Rden was kidnapped, taken hostage into Gaza.
Speaker 4: So so tough.
Speaker 2: So she was then released in that first negotiated deal in Bember last year.
Speaker 19: I'd like to show you this beautiful picture was taken after her mom coming home to her, her mom coming home to her, and we told Geffen that even though she saw she saw everything in her own eyes. We told her that the bad guys took her. She saw the bad guys. They took her, and we lost her, but we're going to find her. And we did. We found mom and today well get some fitting in the Friday dinner table and she calls mom, Mom is coming and this is what we are waiting for for dozens of hugs.
Speaker 2: Still one hundred and one hostages remaining. All right, Shaye, thank you so much for joining us. Really appreciate you sharing your story with Australia.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Sherry, and that's.
Speaker 2: All we have time for Tonight. Tomorrow is my last show from Israel. So don't miss at eight o'clock tomorrow night, live from Jerusalem. But right now, here's Paul Murray.